Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2007 and earlier

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You wouldn't be as surprised at the Aerio's top rating if you looked closely at the impressively large and solid looking A-pillars as well as the abundance of empty space under the hood.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I actually have never been in an Aerio yet. I am going to the 2003 Car Show in 2 days, so I will get in one there.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/images/gallery/6638_image.jpg

an ugly nose job for 2004!

boost to 160hp on the Lancer Ralliart.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    ...but the new fascia is a LOT less bland. I kind of like it... and if it were available with 160hp, I would have looked at it a lot harder when I bought my 165hp Sentra. Any other changes to the car for 04?
    ~alpha
    EEK! The nose job looks unique and aggressive but I much prefer the elegant styling of the current car. The chrome grill looks more upscale than the plastic beak on the 04. I also don't care for the ring style headrests. However, the bigger wheels are much appreciated and so is the 160 hp engine if the rumors are true.
    Oooh, looks a little "Altima" to me. I like the new wheel design.
    but a 160hp is a nice new option!
    160hp?? Please elaborate...

I would have a Lancer in a second if they made the driver's seat more comfortable and upgraded the power.
    they just introduced the new Lancer Ralliant for 2004 I think I forget where I saw it.....
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Where did y'all see more pictures of the Lancer? Am seriously considering buying a '04. Thanks all.

The Sandman :-)
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    For more pictures of the 04 Lancer go to autoweek.com.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I posted this on the Mazda 6 board: I saw a Yellow Lancer the other day with spoiler and after market exhaust. It looked good. The front end does look kinda bland but the back end kind of makes for it.
    I like the front end actually, kinda looks different. Too bad the EVO VIII's front end is styled differently than the Lancer's. You can't get the cool HID lights that the EVO will have, and other things, darn it. :(
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I saw the EVO with that Diamond Grille. I take the regular grille over the EVO grille The Diamond Grille just dosn't work at all. At least the regular grille is kinda of inoffensive looking. I was reading something about a year ago about this guy who always wanted an EVO: last year when he learned that the EVO was going to be released in the US he went to a mitsu dealer and put some kind of payment on an EVO: no test drive.
    Alot of people do that, put a downpayment/deposit on a car without driving it. I don't get that either, but I suppose you can always cancel the contract if you don't like the car.

I saw the EVO in the March 03 issue of Car and Driver (it's on the cover). I HATE the front end, it looks too gapingly open for my taste.
  • cpocpo Member Posts: 23
    So far so good in the '03. I certainly appreciate the 30+ mpg these days as the price of unleaded now has reached the $2/gal price at stations here in California's central valley. It's proving itself to be a worthy commuter and hasn't let me down, so far. Had to use midgrade octane gas 'cause my usual station had run out of regular one day. It was then that I quickly disc'd the car had a bit more pep than with reg, though regular is prescribed in the owner's manual. I changed the oil at 2k miles, and was pleasantly surprised at how conveniently the oil filter is mounted right next to the oil pan, not more than six inches from the drain plug. Ain't no 'Merican builders ever made 'em like 'at! Rather, they hide the filters to intentionally make this job a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]!! (Why is this?) Con: I guess I was too quick in declaring I'd found my comfort spot in the driver's seat. Not so much the cushion comfort, but the seating position in relation to the steering wheel. I rather have to stretch my arms to grasp the wheel more than I'd like. I'm thinking perhaps this is unavoidable in such a smallish car. This shouldn't be a factor for my daughter, who inherits this machine when she goes off in it to college in a couple years. I think it could use a bit more power, but then again that might come at the cost of lesser gas mileage. Overall, I'm very pleased with the purchase. I appreciate the typical Japanese thoughtfulness in its design, inherent in all Japanese autos over the past couple decades. When it's time for me to pick a car for ME, it might be a Galant. It fit me better (I test drove one when shopping the Lancer) and it's a smooth runner like the Lancer. I heard the song featured in the Lancer TV ad by The Bare Naked Ladies while driving it one day recently. No hotties riding with me at the time though, dangit. I'm sold, for now, on Mitsubishi. They appear to get it.
    Hear, hear! I agree with you. My Lancer has been a much better car so far than my 03 Suzuki Aerio. I'm beginning to wish I had bought another Lancer instead, although now I have a reason to look into the new improved Ralliart model. My Lancer is about to hit 20k and remains completely trouble and annoyance free. It's now getting 26-27 mpg in all city/suburban driving. The only bad thing I have noticed is the tires have become quite loud even though they have 1/2 their tread left. Oh, and the stereo preset buttons sqeak when pressed, so I will say the stereo controls are cheap. Other than that, the Lancer is a great car. Those who only test drive Honda and Toyota have no idea what they are missing.
    Just out of curiousity, how do the Lancer and Aerio compare to you? If you want, feel free to email me (in my profile), as not to make off-topic posts. :)
    I think it's fair to compare them both here as it will increase Lancer forum traffic and discuss the Lancer's strengths and weaknesses. Here are my thoughts...

The Lancer has a smooth ride and reasonably good handling. The steering is too light though and the ride can be a tad soft at times. Exterior paint quality is very good as the silver paint has a pearlescent high quality shine to it, but it could be thicker since it does chip on the front of the hood. Exterior panel gaps are tight and look pretty uniform. The hood is very heavy. The doors close with an expensive sounding solid thunk. Interior quality is good. Plastics look and feel good, especially the soft-touch plastic on the top of the dash and door panels. Rattles have been nonexistent. The white faced gauges look great (as does the brushed aluminum trim that thankfully lacks the fake too bright look of other cars)during the day and are easily readable. However, the red guage lighting isn't quite bright and clear enough at night. I would prefer the guages to be soft blue like the HVAC and radio controls. Wind noise at high speed is well subdued and the car overall is very quiet (with the exception of the tires that are beginning to become loud). The engine is very smooth and quiet, although it does sound a little buzzy when you rev it. The automatic transmission is unbelievably smooth shifting and has snappy pep off the line. It can be a little slow to downshift at times, but the shifts are never harsh. The brakes are ok in stopping power and the pedal has a nice firm feel to it. I haven't encountered any warped rotor problems like I did on the Diamante. Fuel economy has exceeded EPA estimates. The stereo sounds weak and muddy, definitely caused by cheap speakers, and the stereo preset buttons squeak when pushed. Driver seat comfort isn't the greatest but it is livable. Interior room is great front and rear, especially rear legroom, and the trunk is adequately sized. I still think the Lancer OZ looks sporty and elegant at the same time. It just looks good to me. It isn't boring nor weird, but it catches attention all the same and I constantly get comments on it looking like a mini Infiniti. The reliability has been excellent so far. I think thats all I can think to say about the Lancer. I highly recommend this car to anyone.

My Aerio has a very different set of advantages and disadvantages. The Aerio SX is extremely roomy and versatile. Head room is amazing, as is rear seat legroom and cargo space. You sit high in a commanding view of the road and visibility all around is excellent (visibility is also good in the Lancer thanks to its low door sills, high seating position, and upright, large rear window). The seats are very comfortable front and rear. Exterior styling is very unique and I have begun to get good comments on it, although most have said its "cute" and most of the comments came from women. Interior styling is odd but very functional. The radio is up nice and high where it is easily seen and accessed. The radio is high quality and produces very good sound quality. The standard 6 disc in-dash changer is a nice touch as is the outside temp gauge. The digital gauges are bright, easily readable, and look good. They also don't infringe on your forward visibility. Interior plastic is hard but it at least looks well finished (with the exception of the inside door handles). The doors close with a tinny sound effect. The engine is gruffer sounding than the Lancer's and is also rougher. It is quite a bit louder when pushed as well. Power at first felt lackluster for its rated 145 hp, but the engine has loosened up and now feels pretty peppy, especially up to 4k rpms. Fuel economy is good in the city but it doesn't improve much on the highway. Wind noise is noticeable above 60 mph, but the tires are quiet. The ride is well-controlled and has a European firmness to it, which lends good handling, much better than you would expect considering its tall, narrow stance. However, the ride can be harsh over certain sharp bumps and the body does lean. Steering is nicely weighted and has good feedback, although it is slower to respond than the Lancer's. The 5 speed manual has a nice direct feel to its shifts and for the most part it operates smoothly (reverse can be tricky to get into at times). The clutch is ok, but this car suffers from bad driveline lash (bucking) that makes driving in stop-and-go a less than smooth experience. Brakes are ok, but the pedal is mushier than the Lancer's and the right front brake locks up a little too easily in wet weather. I had a problem with my brakes making a loud clunk. The dealer fixed it but I can still sometimes hear them making a slight popping noise. My front door panels buzz loudly under certain conditions and tend to ruin songs with bass. This is my most annoying problem with this car. I also encountered a loud rattle under the dash in the passenger footwell, but thankfully it only occured a few very cold mornings at a certain rpm. I recently have encountered an odd problem that I can only describe as a light misfire (similar to a cracked distributor cap or bad spark plug wire). It has happened twice and caused the car to lose power and made driving jerky, but the dealer hasn't been able to reproduce it. Overall, I still like my Aerio, but it has had more annoyances than my Lancer.

How was that vocus? Dang, I didn't expect to write this much! I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep and someone actually reads this. It sure took awhile to write!
    Very good actually. I enjoyed reading it. I would choose the Lancer over the Aerio, based on the way the interior looks. Some call me a snob, but VW did it to me...

I rented the Lancer for a couple days, and founf the power lacking (again, used to a 180hp turbo), and the steering a little light. Stereo controls were too small too, and I just couldn't get comfortable in the driver's seat.

The Aerio felt a little insubstantial to me, I only sat in it at the car show though. It didn't 'feel' safe to me, but apparently it is due to its high IIHS ratings.
  • cpocpo Member Posts: 23
    I highly suspect, after reading his Lancer/Aerio review, that Lng writes for a major automotive periodical. Very well written!.. We have Yokohama tires on our ES. Maybe it's 'cause I haven't experienced better, but they seem okay early on. Do you also have Yoko's, Lng?
    Thanks for the kind words. Working for a car magazine would be a dream job for me, but alas, I'm not so lucky (social worker, gag!). The tires on my Lancer are Goodyear Eagle LS. They were pretty quiet early on but have progressively gotten louder. Wet and dry traction has been good though. My Aerio has Yokohama Geolander G046 tires and its striking how much quieter they are, but than again, they only have 7500 miles instead of 20k.
    My Lancer OZ crossed the 20k mark last week and is now at 20,500. It continues to be trouble free. I really like this car and Mitsu may have won me over enough to buy the new 04 Lancer Ralliart to replace my Suzuki Aerio in about a years time. I'm just not as happy with the Suzuki and feel it is too big for my needs. The Mini Cooper, VW GTI, and Hyundai Tiburon are also on my list.

I have a friend who is the shop foreman for my local Mitsu dealer. I asked him if anyone is bringing in their Lancers with problems. He told me only 1 had a problem with the catalytic converter/exhaust manifold that required replacement. Other than that, he thinks they are solid and reliable. It's nice to have friends in the right places :)
    C'mon, cross over and get a GTI. :) They are nice, but don't expect them to be as trouble-free as a Lancer may be.

I am surprised you don't like the Aerio as much, your impressions initially of the car seemed to show you did favor it over the Lancer.

I also emailed you a couple weeks ago (using the email that's in your profile) but you never got back to me.. :)
    You emailed me?? Hmm....I didn't see it. I may have deleted it by accident, thinking it was junk mail. When you email me, make sure you have edmunds.com in the subject so i know it is a fellow townhall member.

Initially, I did like the Aerio SX a lot. I liked the hatchback utility and performance potential, as well as the unique sporty looks. The clincher for me was the excellent price and the fact I got everything I wanted except ABS. However, the niggling little problems with it have soured me, like the buzzing door panels, clunking front brake pads, and weird stumbling problem that has happened 4 times now but the dealer can't reproduce. I have also realized the Aerio just feels too big in the way it drives, thus lowering the fun to drive factor for me. It doesn't make me smile like my 92 Miata and 84 GTI. The Lancer isn't as fun as those cars either but it feels smaller and more manueverable, while still being roomy. And its build quality has been top notch.
    Yes, the Lancer is pretty maneuverable, about as much so as my Jetta is when in the city. That's one thing I liked about it. Throw in some power, and it would be total fun. :)

The Aerio felt too tall to me, like it would be tippy. I just sat in one though, I didn't drive it anywhere. I hated the cheap interior too, and the fact that the driver's door panel flexed when I rested my leg against it.
    I really anxiously await the Ralliart version of this car. I have a Nissan Sentra 2.5LE right now (which I love, great engine, couldnt spring another 1500 for an SE-R), but I think the Lancer restyling looks great, so hopefully I can push it on a friend or family member when it comes out.

~alpha
  • thootathoota Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am from Buffalo, NY. I am comparing Honda Civic to Lancer. Which one should I buy ? Any suggestions ? What is the best price for Lancer LS ????
    I would choose the Lancer over the Civic anyday. The only thing the Civic does better is fuel economy and resale value. Otherwise, I think the Lancer is a nicer car. As for price, I have no idea. I haven't heard anyone in here mention buying the LS model. Owners in here have either the ES or OZ. Check out edmunds pricing to get a feel for the average price others are paying.
    Invoice minus any rebates available now is the best price.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Anyone see this model yet? Its coming out this fall and supposed to be an equalizer between the OZ rally and the Evo VIII models.

But why can't Mitsubishi just get it right? First time I saw it, I thought it was a Pontiac Sunbird.

They really should have just stuck with the original Lancer front fascia.

Check it out at: http://www.motorcities.com/contents/03BBF362685336.html
    That's your POV. I for one think the new fascia is a HUGE improvement. That, and the new engine- would have made this a major contender for me.
    ~alpha
    Looks more Altima, not Sunfire (Sunfire BTW, not SunBIRD, but anyway..). It looks very cool I think, better than the boring front end the car has now in basic form.
  • nvcolornvcolor Member Posts: 9
    I spoke with a dealer who has an 02 ES, with AT, standard features and 11,200 miles for $8165. He told me it was a rental car. He also has the Carfax report, and he told me the balance of the factory warranty is still in place. I realize that rentals can be abused, but this does sound like an awfully good deal. The car would be for my 18 year old daughter, and even though ABS and side airbags are not part of the package, I believe this is still a vehicle that should serve her well through her college years (I hope). Any comments?
    sounds like a good deal. go for it.
    $8100 for an 02 with 11,200 miles??? Snatch that baby up! That's an awesome deal for a car that stickers for 15k new. Just make sure it wasn't a flood rebuild or anything.
  • jeffw6jeffw6 Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer offered me an 03 ES, AT, standard features and convenience package for $11,500 (Brand new). Do you guys think it is a good deal?
    Many thanks!
    That is cheap. Go get it. They have a $2K rebate going on right now but the lowest I've seen is $13.5K. Good Luck.
    Does the ES have the body colored door handles? And why not have the outside mirrors colored also. Makes the car look cheap with the black mirrors.
    Also, how does the Lancer compare to the Corolla and Sentra drive wise. Price wise, it's more comprable to the Sentra.
    Am lookoing to buy a economy car in '04.
    TIA for any input.

The ES gains body colored door handles when you get the convenience package. The black mirrors don't look bad actually because they are painted a glossy black to match the glossy black window surrounds, thus allowing them to blend in better than flat black non-painted mirrors.

As for the drive, I have said it before and will say it again. The Lancer is one of the best rides in the economy sedan class. The engine and ride is quieter than the Civic's and comparable to the Corolla. The suspension is sportier than the Corolla's and comparable to the Civic's. The engine has much more pep than the Civic and about the same to slightly less than the Corolla. Fuel economy lags some, but I feel the peppy off-the-line performance more than makes up for it. Interior design, quality, and room is just as good as the other 2. Therefore, I find that the Lancer compares very well to the big dogs and deserves more attention than it gets. Perhaps that will come in 04 when it gains an available 2.4 liter 162 horse engine.

My 02 Lancer OZ continues to be completely problem free after over 22k miles. This is the best car I have owned so far.
    ingtonge.....admit it, you want that Lancer Sportback wagon with the 160hp engine......
    Actually, the Lancer Sportback looks too much like a Volvo and is too square shaped for my tastes. I wouldn't mind buying the 04 Ralliart sedan though. However, I just bought an 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 to replace my annoying Suzuki last week so there won't be any new Lancers in my driveway for at least a couple of years.
    How come you own 2 cars for a single driver? My dream is to own 7 cars, 1 for each day of the week!

I noticed some of the cars are your list of current/formerly owned are pretty utilitarian (Civic, Fox, Accent). I myself have a strange fondness of basic vehicles, when I was real young my dad had a no pwr steering/no air/no radio completely naked 89 Tercel. I think it would be fun to thrash around that piece of tin right now.

~alpha
    Sandman46: I actually own 4 cars :) But there are 2 drivers, me and the other half. The 2 new cars are the daily drivers. The 92 Miata is my "toy" car and the 84 VW GTI is my "classic" car. I'm quite close to the 1 car for every day of the week :) What can I say, I love cars and spend most of my money on them.

Alpha01: Yea, I find basic cars quite endearing. Perhaps their lack of doodads causes their personality to stand out more. Plus, I love their easy to fix simplicity and reliable nature.
    Anyone think Mitsu will offer this as an option on the Ralliart? If not, how hard and how much would it be to change it to an Evo VIII steering wheel?
  • kidevo1kidevo1 Member Posts: 31
    The only real issue to think about with moving a steering wheel is how to deal with the airbag which is built into them these days.
    I just checked Mitsu's site and they have the Ralliart's specs (162hp @5750rpm, 162torque @4000rpm). The said its coming out mid November. I'm a little disappointed as I was expecting torque of at least 170. This car should most likely post a 0-60 time of about 8 sec. Can't wait for the tests.
    Its a little early but going by Mitsu's specs on the Ralliart, it is not even close to the Spec V's specs (0-60 7.3 sec, 175hp 180torque). I can get a Spec V with the audio package for $16.5K.
    will the sportback wagon have the railliart powertrain available?
This discussion has been closed.