Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2007 and earlier

Comments

• lancerfreak1lancerfreak1 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone help me find any performance parts for my 02 lancer oz i have looked everywhere and am coming up empty
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have a look at our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board. You may find some help there. Good luck.
  • lancerfreak1lancerfreak1 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know if a header from a 4g63 will fit on a 4g94
  • shiftdownshiftdown Member Posts: 3
    i got a 06 lancer and the grills are different... id like to change it but not sure if they're any new types for it yet. if there any links that be helpful.. post one my way..thanx..
  • andrews5andrews5 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking to go performance. Just was trying to find out what I should do first. I'm 20 years old I dont have a lot of money right now but I'm trying to get this thing going fast. I dont know where to start. All I have on it right now is a short ram in take made by InJen. I want to do a lot more. Just dont know of any good sites and where to start. If you could help me out that would be nice thanks.
  • levo8levo8 Member Posts: 1
    I think the place you should start is a Turbo because it adds the most power. But it is also a very expensive part of your car. I think if you really want to do up your car well i would go with the turbo. You should go to some of your local custom shops and ask around for prices and on the internet till you find the right one. Good Luck
  • lancerlovelancerlove Member Posts: 1
    sooo i just bought an 03 lancer oz. can anyone tell me the difference between the OZ and the ralliart?? this might be a stupid question..but i'm completely new the the mitsubishi world.. but IM LOVING IT. I had an 01 merc cougar..and this change to the lancer oz has been amazing. anyways, i wanna make the car look good (not thats its already not sexy enough =) ) but any suggestions?? thanks!=)
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Main difference between the OZ & the Ralliart is the engine. OZ has the 2.0 (1999 cc) turning out about 120 hp while the Ralliart has the 2.4 Mivec (2378 cc) with 160 hp.

The Ralliart also has a tuned exhaust system, larger tires, Evo pedals, larger brakes, Evo short throw shifter along with a strut tower brace. So, better handling plus more go.

First place you might want to try for parts is the dealership. I know several Lancer owners that have dressed up their OZ's and Ralliarts with Evo wings, hoods and ground effects. Most of the Ralliart items should slide right on the OZ. On the engine performance side most of them have aftermarket intakes, exhaust etc..etc...

Anyone wanting a turbo I would recommend just getting an Evo.
  • bpkralliartbpkralliart Member Posts: 2
    Hey, guys i got a 04 Lancer ralliart and i currently have a AEM cold Air intake and a HKS TI High Flow Muffler(Sounds great for all that are looking for a good muffler, but takes some custom piping to fit it but any muffler shop can do it) and got the piping im looking for a good converter, down pipe and headers.. any suggestiongs iv look for all three and cant find anything except for a universal converter but im looking for some good headers and a down pipe but cant find anything. think you guys can help
  • conman604conman604 Member Posts: 1
    hey there people. i just recently got given a Lancer GLI LR-X 2000 model. and im wandering would it be a good idea if i had something like straight thru exhaust with no muffler. has anyone heard of this before? well im thinking of doing that but i dunno wat the sound would be like after wards. i wanna keep it as stock possible or in other words a sleeper. im already got a air filter with chrome piping. and a 4-1 header. im also going to be getting some forgies in as i wanna run this engine to the max. anyway. can i have any other suggestions on modifying this car?. i will fink about a supercharger in the near future.

thanks for any ideas.

cheers people
  • zeppelinpilotzeppelinpilot Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2002 Lancer. Im very happy with the deal and everything. But just now when looking around online, i found a page where a bunch of people were complaining about there airbags not deploying during accidents. Just wondering if anyone has any information about it. Something to sooth my soul. Thanks

:confuse:
    i raced a neon and creamed it...
    all stock...
    but it might have something to do with my car being brand new... idk
    i still won..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Okay, and we will assume you were at a track and the race was perfectly legal because we are not talking about illegal things such as street-racing in our Forums.

And now it is probably best to move on. ;)
  • lurchylurchy Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, im planning on buying a 2006 Lancer ralliart, I wanted to know if any of you people knew if this was a reliable car and , in general a good car to buy.
    A TRACK RACE BETWEEN A ES LANCER(STANDARD) AND A STOCK COLBOLT(AUTO). WHO TAKES THE LINE. AND BY HOW MUCH...
  • redlancer02redlancer02 Member Posts: 7
    i got a 02 lancer i was checking my spark plugs and noticed that when i went to pull one out with the ignition coil it wouldnt grip the spark plug nipple. so i used the other ignition coil to grip the spark plug. i looked inside the boot and all i saw was a spring and the other boot had a metal sheeth inside of it were it grabbed the spark plug. would that sheeth being missing and the spring only showing would that cause my rpms to drop down after a certain point?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
  • supermarkiesupermarkie Member Posts: 10
    I just purchased a 2006 Lancer Es(power plus package) last Saturday.So far both my wife and I love the car.Very comfortable to drive and park.We live in Toronto,Canada and this is our first new car.We were first attracted to Mitsu
    because of the warranty and the 0% financing, but were pleasantly surprised by our initial test drive.We had driven other cars in this class, Corolla, Sentra, Civic and actually liked the Mitsu Lancer better.Our only concern
    was that Mitsubishi has only been in Canada for 3 years and really have no proven track record for quality/reliability
    etc. Do you guys have any issues with your cars? any heads up would be greatly appreciated.We have read many postings in the Chevrolet Malibu forum (our previous piece of junk)
    to firmly scare us away from ANY GM product ever again.Would like to say hello to all fellow Mitsu owners and look forward to participating in this forum.Many Thanks
    SUPERMARKIE :D
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    You made a great choice! Mitsubishi cars are very reliable. Plus they always manage to look different from the rest which is a good thing in this day of "Me Too" cars. Mitsubishi its been in the USA for 25 yrs and before that they made cars for Chrysler like the Dodge Colt. My best friend have a 04 Galant and she loves it. I used to have a 03 Lancer and it never gave me any problems (had to sell it due relocation) plus i have a 98 Mirage with more than 125,000 miles on it (im the original owner) and its my baby. Ive seen brand new cars gone bad in less than a year and my little old Mitsubishi keeps going strong. Congratualtions on ure new Lancer!! You will lots of years of reliable service.
    Thank you to Mirde98! I appreciate your feedback and feel alot better about my car now.I did not realize that Mitsu had such a long record in the USA. Although I had heard something along those lines in a passing car conversation.My manual says to wait for a 500 km "break-in"period for my Lancer by just driving normally etc. We are now approaching 600 km and I am dying to take my car for a nice long highway cruise.Do you guys think I'm good to go?I'm not a real aggresive driver but I would like to see how this car performs at highway speed.So far we love the driving characteristics around the city and the gas mileage is reasonable.Thanks for any advice you have.
    Super Markie :shades: :shades:
  • edbtzukedbtzuk Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know the correct proceedure for removing the stereo surround trim from an OZ. I can feel a clip when I stick my hand through the glovebox but I'm not sure how to release it because I can't see it. I just want to remove it to replace the factory deck without causing any damage. Thanks!
  • edbtzukedbtzuk Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering how to go about changing the color of the white-faced guages with red lighting on an 2003 OZ. Instead of red, I'd like to get blue lighting. Is this an easy conversion/install? Thanks!
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    supermarkie, Was wondering how much on-road price was for your lancer es if you dont mind me asking? I went yesterday to check out an 06 lancer (scarborough mitsu on eglinton). Its a good car. Did you buy a sedan or sportback? sedan has only 2.0 itseems. 2.4 is reserved for ralliart and sportback. Its a good car but seemed a bit dated to me. Kinda quirky but does anyone know when the redesigned version is coming?
    We paid $20,300 all in with my trade of $2500.We bought the 4 door sedan with the "Power Plus Package" which includes; power windows, door locks,power mirrors, auto transmission,air-conditioning, power trunk and fuel door release,dual air bags.There is a "Convenience Package" that adds a 60/40 folding rear seats rear armrest with cupholders, keyless entry,cruise control colour keyed mirrors and door handles, variable intermittent wipers+ washers.The dealer said another $1100 for this.Also a "Security Package" that adds ABS and EBD and also side air bags for another $700.We were only willing to spend a little over $20,000 so we feel we got a good deal overall.
    The way the car is equipped it's enough for our needs.I will agree that the car is a bit quirky in the looks department, but it's a unique car around the Toronto area as we have not seen too many as of yet.Ours is a Silver sedan with the 2.0 which is more than enough for us.Actually I find it very torquey around town.The main selling points were the 10 year powertrain warranty and the 5 year Vehicle warranty and 5 year Roadside Assistance.Hope this was helpful. Super Markie :D
    I am assuming you paid (19k + 1k delv + 3k taxes). Its a nice car... just a bit pricey for what you get tho.. Stateside same car would go for 14-16k USD.

Anyways, Enjoy it. Just dont get sideswiped (side impact crash results are not pretty - NHTSA NCAP 2 star rating) :sick:
    Yes Growwise, you are right on the price.My wife said the same thing at first, but if you factor in an Extended Warranty on any other car in this segment it actually comes out a bit cheaper to bring it in line with the Mitsu 10/5/5.
    You are also correct about the side impact crash test, we were a bit concerned about that.Oh well, you can't have everything in this price range.Thank you for your input.
    Super Markie : ;)
    Does anyone know why the recommended cold tire pressure for my 2006 Lancer ES is 29 psi front,26 psi rear? So far(850Km)I've been running them like this and all seems well.When I got the car from the Dealer,I checked them the next day they were all at 33.5 psi.The car came with Goodyear Eagle LS tires.It seems to me 29/26 is a bit on the low side as far as tire wear is concerned.Any Comments? Super Markie
    Is there anyone out there that would like to talk about their Lancer? It seems pretty slow on this thread. We have had ours for 5 weeks and we Love It! Super Markie :shades:
  • bds92bds92 Member Posts: 21
    I don't know what you guys are saying, but let me say this. The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR FQ400 is the greatest car ever made, in my very blunt opinion. With AWD, more than 200 bhp/liter, 405 bhp, the practicality of a sedan, the grip of a god, the performance to beat cars 10x more expensive than it, and the low cost, when comparing to cars that can't beat it yet cost ten times more, and a successor which will probably destroy the sheer thought of buying any other car, there's no doubt in my mind.

Still have doubts?
    I have no doubt that this is a great car! Unfortunately I have no idea what you are saying, as I am a newbie to Mitsubishi cars and own a lowly Lancer ES.Speed and horsepower seldom meet in the same sentence when talking about my car, but we love the gas mileage and the smooth ride.If I ever see one of those cars you are referring to behind me I'll be sure to stay in the right lane. Peace and Love Super Markie
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    It's not fair comapring the Lancer Evolution to the Lancer. It's like comparing Mike Tyson to Lance Armstrong.

The Lancer is your passenger car. It's sporty, a total joy for the everyday ride.

The Lancer Evolution on the other hand, is your everyday Lancer on steroids. It's a performance car, and in fact, you can buy one from the dealerships that are identical in specs to what they use in Rally racing (WRC Group N). And that extra performance and muscular looks comes with a price, more than double for what you pay for a Lancer ES.

Although some sites like MSN autos don't make that distinction, the Lancer Evolution is NOT a variant of the Lancer. It is in a totally different class of its own. Although its history traces its roots back to the Lancer line, it has evolved to become a different species.

-rcpax
    LoL I love the analogy.Also the "Lance" Armstrong.Speed and performance rarely meet in the same sentence when I refer to my Lancer ES.I would love to drive one of those Evo thingys that everyone is raving about, but that would be unlikely. Thanks for the chuckle. Super Markie :D
  • phinneas519phinneas519 Member Posts: 113
    Finally, I own a Mitsubishi, something I've wanted to do for a long, long time. I bought it earlier this year, lightly used with 8k miles on it for $11,200. It's served me very well and is bar none the best car I have ever owned so far. Since it seems so hard to find true fans of Mitsu, I wanted to just say how much I enjoy my vehicle in a place where I can probably avoid hearing "Oh yeah? Toyota is better!" This car is a big upgrade from the 2000 Toyota Corolla I owned before. Anyone have any comments about the Sportback or what I paid for it? I just wonder how things will be down the road - I'm pretty sure that, the way I maintain it, my vehicle will be fine for a long time.

The only sad thing is that if I could have my way, they would still make Diamante wagons - I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi. . .

The few peeps I've spoken with concerning Mitsu's Lancer all say that, in general, Mitsubishi IS junk and to steer clear of purchasing any of their product. I tend to disagree. Case in point: the 2007 Lancer! I've seen a couple of "spy" pix of this model and like what I see. Does anyone out there have any clue if this newly designed machine comes with stability control as an option? I've been checking the '07 specs for the Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra. NO stability control is to be had. ZERO. The Toyota Corolla has such a thing, but only available in certain "regions". . .in my neck of the woods ESC for it is unavailable. My only alternative is the Mazda3, which has optional ESC. I still find the Lancer VERY interesting though. ;)

Any 4-1-1?

I sure would appreciate it!

Thanx- :shades:

Peace<- :D
  • sundardbasundardba Member Posts: 2
    I bought 2003 lancer . it is really great I love the car. it is about 1 year and 4 months. Now it is time to do the service. mileage is 30000. So i had a little confusion whether to go for dealer or jiffy lube or STS. I inquired dealers they gave me a quote of $ 540 and other dealer gave me a quote of $ 430 plus they are offering a rental car for a day. I inquired STS and pepboys they gave me a quote of approx - $ 180 to 230 $ . I would request from you guys to give your advice on how to do the service and if you could share your experience

Thanks
    Sundar
    Hello sundardba

IMHO it's always better to take your car to a dealership.
    They know what the are doing with your vehicle as they have
    trained technicians that work on these cars everyday.Having said that, I can appreciate your concern over the price difference between a local shop and the dealer.I had all my previous vehicles serviced at the dealer and have had very little problem with maintaining my cars.
    I think it's a question of pay a little now or pay a lot later. I recently purchased a 2006 Mitsu Lancer ES and plan on having all my service done with my dealer,in this early stage my maintenance is minimal, but as the car ages it is important to get proper service to ensure longer vehicle life.Hope this may be helpful to you. SuperM :) arkie
  • lancer_laceylancer_lacey Member Posts: 1
    I own a Mitsubishi Lancer *Ralli Art, I was looking for some ways to speed it up and give it some more power , without having to worry about alot of maitnance work.
  • elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    For practically zero maintainance I'd suggest the exhaust system. Many options here from muffler all the way to dual exhaust / headers etc...etc.. There are mucho product lines out there & you can probably spend from a few hundred up to a grand. Horsepower can increase from as little as 5 up to around 20 though, plus the fact that a high performance exhaust system also improves fuel mileage.

Check with some people you know before you commit to a system. Preferably a trusted gearhead acquaintance or a Mitsubishi mechanic.
    Pictures are photoshop'd from the press release but it's great artwork. I doubt though it will be marketed as an 07 Evo X. More likely an 08 Evo X. The Lancer sedan from which it will be based upon has already been named as an early 08 model. And the Evo X will come after the 08 Lancer's initial release this early 07.
  • aralliartaralliart Member Posts: 5
    I traded in my '03 Protege ES for '05 Ralliart. Mitsu has a car with superior quality! I upgraded the exhaust system with good results. Also replaced cheap OEM stock rubber with sticky Yokohama Avid V4S and added rear strut-tower brace - this made a huge difference with performance & handling.(spent approx $1000)
    Has anyone purchased parts from RoadRace Motor Sports(http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/ralliart.htm)? Can someone share thier thoughts on how it all went?

Hoping the '08 edition will have fine tuned all the bugs and made this car the one to beat.
  • srt8usrt8u Member Posts: 5
    Best exhaust for turbo cars is the electric exhaust system,
    with no restriction and crazy air flow. I seen gains up towards 40 hp on a dyno on a turbo car.
    The cool thing is, it's controlled by a flick of a switch!
    I got mine from rolloutedition.com
  • lg122504lg122504 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to know if anyone knew if i can use a turbo manifold and downpipe for an evo for my 2002 lancer oz rally. I plan to buy the kit as soon as i know. I know the drivetrain is different, turbocharged, etc. will it fit? if not where can i go? :confuse:
  • jjmcclurejjmcclure Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I'm writing here on behalf of Mitsubishi and would like to invite you to an upcoming Webcast taking place direct from the NAIAS in Detroit on January 8. This is a chance for you to be among the first to check out the new 2008 Lancer along with Prototype X, which hints at the next production version of the Lancer Evolution.

To sign up for the Webcast, visit www.lancerproject.com and simply enter some basic information at the prompts that follow a short video. We hope you can join us on January 8.
    I did sign-up (of course) even before there was a direct link from mitsubishicars.com. Hey j.j.mcclure, are you from Mitsu?perhaps you could visit the Outlander forums to answer some issues we have.
  • dartslant6dartslant6 Member Posts: 4
    I just recently purchased a 2006 Mitsibushi Lancer as far as it being a fun, peppy car to drive, I was wondering if anyone elst that has one has a problem with road noise in the car. It is so loud, I can barely hear my cell phone ring and can't even hear the radio. My husband thought it might be the cheap tires, but I was thinking it might be a leak from a window seal somewhere. Has anyone else had this problem?
    dartslant6@yahoo.com
  • aralliartaralliart Member Posts: 5
    Is this a Ralliart or other version?
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Congrats on ure new Lancer. I used to have a Lancer and yes very true there peppy and fun to drive. Plus very reliable. About the wind noise, that i can recall my Lancer was not that quiet....but not to a level of not being able to talk on the phone. Probably ure previous car was very quiet, so it takes awhile to get used to a new car. Probably im wrong about that and it could have an air leak. Its all possible. Have a friend ride with you and get second opinion's, if its very obvious then yes, wind/road noises are tricky because sometimes it all depends on the person. To some may be loud, to others not. Happy motoring! :)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Can't hide my disappointment in the Evo X! :mad:

Gains 200 lbs., no 20" wheels, and definitely loses the magic the Concept had. Could it look more watered-down?

And who's the Dumb-a%$ who built the doors with giant frames in them? None of the sketches have framed doors! :sick:

At least they kept the stick, so it's not a total waste.

But my love affair is over. Next!

DrFill
    Apparently Japanese are not interested in big cars ;) and are happy with their kei cars so US will get em first.

There are tons of pictures in the following link for 08 model due in late 07.
    08 lancer gallery

If they can address the poor resale value, they may have some conquest sales.
This discussion has been closed.