Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fiecafieca Member Posts: 7
    I bought mine from Honda Grand in Elmhurst,Illinois on 09/21/2008

Sale Price: $28700
    Doc Fee: $150.00
    Tax: $2345.
    New Plates: 143.00
    OTD: $31,338.00

But it was not on APHC special 2.99 financing , also finance guy tricked me and sold extended 7/100k/0Ded warranty for $1885 (which i know is a ripoff). I Read the fine prints and it has 60 day cancellation time period. I am looking into online warranty but not sure which one to get. Dealer actually warned me of buying any warranties other than the dealer, mentioning that Honda will not honor it if they win the class action lawsuit. Is that True?

Also he added $3500 in price cost adding taxes on that which I argued. so the taxes little went up to $200. There is always a Catch 22 with these guys no matter what you do.
  • co_copco_cop Member Posts: 17
    I got the SAME EXACT QUOTE from fisher a month ago plus the 1,000 since the manufacturer cash was 2,500 at that time. 29,090 plus their stupid dealer handling fee and their documentation fee's (dont forget to ask bout them). I've also noticed that the Colorado dealers invoice price is higher that the Edmund's invoice price. They must not be that desperate around here, one dealer told me; "why should we give you the holdback!" ; that was Mile-High.

Burt-Kuni would not deal with me at all. They gave me some crappy price and told me that that was the best he could do.. I gave them a bad review when honda wanted feedback.

I settled with Honda of Greeley on 08-11-08, they sold me the van EXL-RES for 29,000 (including their dealer prep and doc fees) + tax. I had at least four dealers around the same ballpark but only Greeley would include their prep and docs fees in the selling price. Over all it was a good experience. I haggled over email and phone.

Good Luck
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    MSRP 36554
    Price 29554
    + txs, doc fee etc.

I told the dealer i saw the prices people were paying and they were ready to deal. But they wouldn't give the 0.9 or 2.9 financing. But I was going to put 12k down, so the financing was not a better deal for the 36 month plan. The deal breaker came when I introduced my 02 MDX for a trade (after I said I had no trade) and they only wanted to give me 7500 for a super clean MDX. We'll see if they come back with a better offer. Does anyone know if the touring rides better than the EXL?
  • phatlipboardzphatlipboardz Member Posts: 30
    Frontier in Longmont quoted 26,933 for an EX-L no res/nav. This includes everything except for tax. They rolled everything into the final purchase price. Very low pressure salesman (I can give you his contact if you want), and they too have plenty left on the lot. Don't know what color you are looking for, but I am sure they have it.

It is hard seeing other folks on the east getting these killer deals. I just try to look at it as I am getting ~20% off MSRP. I think it's the only way I can feel good about it. I used to own hondas and haven't ever seen deals like this from them in the past.

Also, there is a great post on here about the extended warranty. Don't get it from the dealer unless they can match the price. http://www.myhondawarranty.com/
  • bao1bao1 Member Posts: 55
    Those are good prices. I posted earlier this week regarding my purchase of a EXL-Res from Continental Honda. Yes in Illinois you are taxed on the 3500 incentive. It varies from state to state.
    Now with regards to the OTD price, I find it a little high even taking into the slightly higher tax rate of cook county residents. I paid 7.25% so the difference should only be around ~400 but your OTD price for the RES model is about ~1300 over my OTD price. What other crap are they adding to the total?
  • nobodyyouknownobodyyouknow Member Posts: 21
    "It is hard seeing other folks on the east getting these killer deals."

Almost 27k for that car is too much IMO. I paid $25k (inclusive of dest & proc. fee)+TTL for an EXL. I can't believe that I was that good about it. But I did follow the donkey punch method.

Did you "donkey punch" the dealers? If not, search for "donkey punch" and follow it. I believe that you should be able to get that price down to no higher than 25.5k.
  • dol007dol007 Member Posts: 21
    Wife wants just EXL. I want EXL RES. So, can't decide yet. My target OTD without TTL is $25,800 for EXL and $27,000 EXL-RES. My best offer comes from a dealer who will do $200 more for each target. So it's $26,000 EXL and $27,200 EXL RES. They got the Silver color I want. They want me to make decision today if I want that price but I think I'm going to stick with my target. No accessories or add-on to the van. What do you guys think?
    Does EXL and EXL RES come with Backup Camera? Is the only different $1200 I'm paying for RES is for the DVD feature? BTW, I'm in Oklahoma. Thanks.
    That EXL price is about on target with the quote I got. The price I stated before was with everything rolled in except the taxes.

The EX-L without Nav/Res comes with the backup camera. I am not into paying for the extra retail price on the entertainment. I can get this installed aftermarket with a brand that I like with more features and at a place that won't void my warranty.
    Yes,

I did the donkey punch. Right in the smacker.

I received quite a few quotes and most of them were pretty close to each other. I also ran the deal through a broker/friend and he confirmed that this is a good deal for the area. I am seeing these market adjustments in Colorado on many makes/models. I have looked at just about everything from a Mazda5, SUVs and now minivans.

I am getting ready to deal in the next day or so. Anyone want to go together and give them a real donkey punch to get a better deal?
  • pete_in_nhpete_in_nh Member Posts: 2
    Hey all-

Did the carpet bomb e-mail thing and then folllowed up... best I could get up here in New Hampster was $26,150 OTD which is car price plus $399 doc fee.

I think that's pretty good... but impressed with some of the others on here!

We are going to pick it up tonight... Ocean Mist metallic. Debated on the RES but then realized it was going to run like $1,500 more in cost + interest over life of car... better to buy extended warranty (online... I know..) and go aftermarket for DVD player. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket DVD unit for the Oydy? I can't seem to find much info/reviews about them.

Thoughts?

p.s. For those of you wondering... no sales tax here... .Live Free Or Die, Baby!

No income tax either.... gotta love New Hampster.
    Thanks for the reply on the backup camera. Just got another email from a dealer that will do my target, $25,800 OTD for EXL. We decided not to take the RES and will install dual monitor on headrests later so we don't have to hear our boys fighting over it. They are 4 years apart and watch totally different movies. My wife doesn't want the headace so I'll just not take RES for now. Will go to the dealer today or tomorrow and see how much they would give us for Honda Accord 02.
  • mkhasawnmkhasawn Member Posts: 19
    Hello - Does anyone know whether this end of year clearance (3% hold-back and rebate) will continue after 09/30? I am wondering if we'll see (at least) a slightly better deal in October. Surprisingly, one of the dealers I am currently talk to (in NJ) has at least seven 2008 Tourings left in stock!!! Thanks. -MK
  • my_oddymy_oddy Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for Honda Odyssey EX-L/RES (No Nav). (SoCal area)
    I got several quotes through email. One of the dealer says they are offering $4500 below invoice on 2008. They quoted the invoice price (without RES) as 30,092 and their eprice is 25,592 (destination fee included). Edmunds quotes Invoice price for EXL as 29,166. So in sense they are truly going 3500 below invoice.
    No Accessories, No financing option. Tax+DMV+tire fee etc extra.

eprice: $27,103 OTD: $29,551 for EX-L with RES

Is that a good deal? Do we expect better deals in Oct-Dec?
    I want Nimbus Grey and RES which I am afraid might not be available later...Should I pull the trigger? What say guys!!!!
  • tom200tom200 Member Posts: 11
    OK I'll bite. What the heck is the "donkey punch" method?
  • sginlasginla Member Posts: 8
    Your fear is valid. As time passes, it will be harder to get the color you want at the price you want to pay. I'd say pull the trigger if you are getting color of choice. As far as price goes, Take the edmunds invoice, subtract 3500 from it, then subtract 3% of MSRP (not invoice). Write that number down for both EXL and EXL with RES. Ho much less or more you pay on that number should be your measurement of how good deal did you get.

Dealer installed accessories is totally different game. That negotiation should be separate, or see how much are you paying for accessories on top of your target price and see if that's acceptable to you.

I closed the deal couple weeks ago for $100 over such a target price. No accessories. I have seen some posts where people have gotten some $300-400 below such target price.

Good luck.

The quotes you have seem to be good. WHich dealer is that, if you don't mind?
  • oddyhuntoddyhunt Member Posts: 3
    DOL007 - Hey you say you're in Oklahoma - can you share the dealer and city? I am looking for that EXL RES you are passing on and also have been looking for a bite on the $27,000 price. :)
  • southernhivesouthernhive Member Posts: 15
    I finally purchased yesterday from Proctor Honda in Tallahassee, FL. After doing the email thing for a month I got a price close to what I wanted. I paid 25,000 + TTL. MSRP for this vehicle is 32,880. No crossbars, no wheel locks, I did not want to pay for them.

My method was to email as many dealers in 150 miles as I could find. I emailed about 20 dealers. My requests were simple. Provide an OTD price for an EX-L, and do not call me, only correspond through email. Let them know that you WILL buy by the end of the month. When they called, I did not answer and I would wipe them off my list since they did not follow my instructions. I promised all the dealers that I would not share any price I received from other dealers. Most every dealer wanted to know my prices and in return they would meet or beat the price. I did not fall for this. Stick to this and one of the dealers will fall to the pressure and give you a good price. Some dealers will give you the "Internet price" that they give to everyone on the internet and they will tell you any price lower than there price will change once you get to the dealer. And it will so, once you get a price you like, then nail down the specifics by getting a faxed quote including the stock number and/or VIN number for the vehicle. Then call the dealer to verify financing trade-in and setup a time to purchase.

Also, make sure you respond cordially to all emails. The dealers will come back again and again to see if you purchased. Keep the lines of communications open so long as they don't break the calling rule. Let the dealers know that once you get the right price, and never tell them your right price, you will buy. This method takes about a month and it works best at the end of the month.
  • jianqjianq Member Posts: 2
    HI, thank you for all your reply.

I did contact Frontier Honda. I like them. I just got a quote with EX-L: $26,733, plux tax only (I did not ask if there is anything else I have to pay). I will call them tomorrow to ask if they would like to cut $500.

Good luck to you and myself.
  • erictekerictek Member Posts: 2
    $399 doc fee is ridiculous. This goes straight into the dealer pocket. Neg this down to $0. They shouldn't charge you this fee for selling you a car.
    I just bought EXL tonight for $25,800 OTD exclude TTL. Please send me your name to dol007@h o t m a i l.com (remove space in the word hotmail) and I'll provide you the name of the dealer.
    That's the exact quote I got. That price includes everything but tax. The dealer fee and destination is rolled into that price. I was just there tonight and saw my buyer's agreement to confirm the pricing that was quoted. I assume you were dealing through the internet guy? (initials J.T.)

I am picking up my van tomorrow and signing the paperwork. It was at night and I want to do a full inspection before it all goes down. Good luck to you. If you need anything else you can email me at phatlipboardz@yahoo.com.
  • oddyhuntoddyhunt Member Posts: 3
    Congrats - you got a heck of a deal - I just sent my info - let me know if you don't receive. Thanks
  • jhgrove3jhgrove3 Member Posts: 1
    Here is where to find the Donkey Punch method.

It's in the forum: Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

It's post number #17964

The title is: Is this a good price? by donkeypunch1 Jan 04, 2008 (9:00 pm)

Here is a link that may or may not work, but I'll post it:
    donkeypunch1, "Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #17964, 4 Jan 2008 9:00 pm

Hopefully posting this information will help others find the method.

Cheers
    James Grove

additional keywords: donkeypunch
  • janebug712janebug712 Member Posts: 8
    A reputable dealer would have done all of that for you. You could have saved yourself alot of time by finding one. You are so paranoid. Is it because you run your business this way.
  • g15g15 Member Posts: 8
    So there's an add in Cincinnati that one Honda dealer is providing employee pricing on the Odyssey. Is this a gimmick to get me in the door? Should I expect to pay the 3500 from invoice, then subtract 3% of MSRP price? Or is the "employee pricing" better? Does anyone know? I'm looking at the EX-L RES.

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    What employee?

Honda employee?
    Dealer employee?

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.. (or gimmick, in this case..).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• shinsangeunshinsangeun Member Posts: 1
    Hello

Yesterday I got lots of offers from 15 dealers in Southern California.
    The lowest one was $28,740 before tax.
    Do you think it is good or not?

Thanks.
    doesn't specify which employee discount. I'll give a full report tomorrow. I might check it out tonight.
    Which dealer?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Superior Honda in Cincinnati. See link..

http://www.mitchellmileofcars.com/
  • zgeistzgeist Member Posts: 6
    I recently got a quote from Castle Honda of Morton Grove for a similar price. The quote I got was: base = $24,667 and OTD = $28,327

But when I calculate a final price on my own I get OTD = $27,447 which is $880 difference - so what are they adding on?

My calc:
    Base: $24,667
    Doc: $150
    ERT: $25
    Tax $2605 ( [base + 3500] 9.25% )

MyCalc: $27,447 (diff = $880)

The destination charge would only acount for $600+ of that.

BTW, I've gotten several quotes from Chicago area dealers and one dealer got very huffy when I asked for an OTD price. I said I wanted to compare it with other quotes I'd gotten. I got a lecture about how I really should be comparing the base price because all the other stuff should be calculated the same by everyone. And if they weren't calculating it the same, then they would just be sending you a bill for it later. She gave me the example of a dealership calculating the otd price using a lower tax rate - then you'd just get a bill for the rest later.

Is it true that all the other fees should be the same at every dealership? She said doc fees for example should be $150 in Illinois.

Also, what is an ERT fee? That seems to be $25 in Illinois.
    I'd classify that as a gimmick... Or, maybe legitimate, if it only applies to their Chevy dealership..

I don't have much experience with that dealership... I've always put them right in the middle, as far as the chances of getting a good deal in Cincinnati..

Invoice minus incentive minus holdback.... That is where I would start.. I doubt the employee price will mean anything, if it even applies..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• zgeistzgeist Member Posts: 6
    I've seen this question posted, but no one has responded so far.

The incentive right now is $3500 and it ends 9/30.

What are the chances that there will be an even better incentive for the 2008 models in October? After all, Oct is only 6 days away and from what I've seen there are still plenty of 2008 Odyssey's on the lots.

Thanks.
    Well..if I can talk my wife into checking it out tonight I'll let you know. The internet quote I got from them was $27,400.(invoice - incentive - holdback is around $26,100 I think)

Do you have any advice on trade ins? I have a 2003 odyssey with 65000 miles. KBB says $9000 for "fair" condition. I think the car is in "good" condition. Any idea what to expect?
    If the new ones are going cheap, then the used ones are bound to take a hit..

It's hard to believe that your '03 Odyssey wouldn't be worth $10K, though...

Check out the Real World Trade-In Values discussion for a good estimate on your current ride.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Is it true that all the other fees should be the same at every dealership? She said doc fees for example should be $150 in Illinois. "

Yes, but only within a given state. That's why you ask for it itemized penny by penny before you walk into the dealership to make sure you can compare accross dealerships. When I was working my deal, I found out (just like you did by backing out the numbers), that the OTD was being figured on a price that was $100 higher than the quoted price. It was an honest mistake, but we fixed it.

Also, doc fees can vary from dealer to dealer - some states regultae the fee and it is fixed at a certain amount. Again, that's why you get it itemized, penny by penny.

You were 100% right to demand an OTD price over the phone or email.

And in this market, don't pay extra for the dealer installed accessories that are already on the car.
    "Do you have any advice on trade ins?"

Yes, don't trade in if you can avoid it at all. You're better off selling it yourself and getting a rental for a week while you negotiate on the new car. I bet you'll save at least $1500 if you did that.

Anytime you trade in you're leaving thousands of dollars on the table.
  • coasttocoastcoasttocoast Member Posts: 2
    Here are a few more "donkey punch" posts worth reading:

donkeypunch1, "Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #17261, 18 Nov 2007 2:25 pm
    Re: Probably not... [jaytaylor1974] by donkeypunch1

donkeypunch1, "Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #17334, 20 Nov 2007 8:21 pm
    Re: Excellent Experience [siggie1] by donkeypunch1

jmarrin, "Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience" #17507, 30 Nov 2007 4:24 pm
    Tweaked Donkeypunch Method & Bot Yesterday by jmarrin
  • joebertjoebert Member Posts: 22
    Drawback on waiting is a smaller selection, and it is possible the incentives are not as good in October. However, there is nothing in the economy that is suggesting things are going to get better for a while. Prices will stay down, especially while inventory is up. Honda, Dodge, & Chrysler all seem to still have significant inventory right now. I'm not sure on Nissan or Toyota or the others.
    I actually thought the same thing. It does seem like folks are wanting to wait until October just to see (I wanted to), but I have also seen on other forums, here and actually the inventory at the dealerships slowly being bought up. There are still a number of 08s out there, but if you have a particular color in mind you might want to jump on it.

Hopefully I am not shooting myself in the foot here, but I started becoming unsure of waiting for "better" incentives. I didn't jump on the Nissan deal that ended this month and lost out on 10,500 off sticker price. Of course there aren't that many 08 Quests out there like odys, but I just don't want to take that chance. A few hundred bucks either way isn't going to kill me.

The dealership that I am dealing with is basically giving me "dealer cash" of 2,500 on top of the 3,500, but quite frankly, I just see this as they are starting with invoice, and the 3,500 is coming off of that. No where on my buyer's agreement do I see 2,500 dealer cash. I am pulling the trigger tonight.

I have been scouring this and all other forums for months. I am tired and I just need to commit.
    Yes, better deal than I can find in Denver.
    Thanks for the definition. Just so happens I was following this method, just didn't know it had a name.

Had two more Denver area dealers decline to go lower. Just not getting the prices I'm seeing in this forum on the coasts.
    Congrats. Appreciate you sharing your pricing. Overall, it's a good price for Denver area.
  • acurabuyer1acurabuyer1 Member Posts: 45
    In San Jose, CA it is 27k for EX-L with RES. Can you please let me know what is it that they are quoting?

Thanks
  • ilu333ilu333 Member Posts: 18
    Hi...would you mind telling me what dealer offered the $28,740? The lowest I got so far is in the mid $29K range in southern cal....
    You were right. Just a gimmick. They said the 27,400 price was better than the employee pricing. I couldn't get out of them what "employee" pricing actually meant. So I just dropped it. The best they could do was $9000 on the trade..couldn't get them to go higher. Seemed kinda odd that they wouldn't move on price or trade.

From your experience who is the best Honda dealer in the Cincinnati area to get a really good price?
  • smarinersmariner Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if the current deals on the 2008 models will continue in October? OR will they get better or worse?
  • eandimommyeandimommy Member Posts: 5
    I just got an email from a dealer saying,

"Honda just came out with the low APR and the special pricing. I can still do the same price and the low APR from Honda for the next 4 days!"

My low price was $28,500 + $185 Doc fee +TTL for a EX-L with RES & NAV including splash guards and paint sealent. With the Honda Special Financing this seems like a good deal. Too bad I don't want the NAV. But I like the color choices. What do you think?
  • mpouxesasmpouxesas Member Posts: 2
    Sorry I missed the complete conversation, but I was curious as to wether I got a good deal or not...The dealer keeps telling me that they went waaaay below invoice.
    I got an EX-L (no nav/etc) to lease for 329.80/month. The negotiated price was 24,700 (down from MSRP posted 32,880)
    Is it possible that they did not make any profit as they claim?

Thank you

mpouxesas
    I just signed a contract last night so I called my dealer to see if that's true and he said it's true. Just started today. So, I asked him to rewrite my contract if possible and he will get back with me. Thanks for the info.