Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• dr_jonesdr_jones Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering purchasing a 2002 Subaru WRX wagon. I'm always weary of buying a used car with a high performance engine, but it only has 16,000 miles on it. So I would have 1 year and 20,000 miles of a warranty. That is if it is transferrable. So is the factory warranty transferrable? If so, how would I go about actually transferring the warranty? And finally, has anyone any experience with the extended warranties? Price wise, about what did yours run? Thanks. I appreciate the your help!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The new-car warranty is fully transferrable. When you sign the used-car purchase agreement, it's effectively transferred.

I'm not of the ilk that looks for extended warranties, so I can't be of much use to you on that issue.
  • gottawrxgottawrx Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone installed the Fumoto engine oil drain valve and any comments on it. And has anyone heard of the Boost Monkey and what they think of it?

Lovin my 03 WGN with 11K in it.
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    I've got to change my oil soon, and have one of these in the car ready to be installed. It seems like it'll be very convenient going forward. I'll probably just file down a few threads to get the last drops of oil.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    So, nipple or no nipple? (serious question, folks)

Ken
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    I also have a Fumoto awaiting install at my next change interval. I'm not going to worry about the plug protruding into the oil pan. Change the oil while it's hot, and whatever particulates that may have settled at the bottom of the pan will be "stirred" up into the oil and thus should drain out.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good idea - the washers, that is.

Warranty: I'm one of the few that likes 'em. Here's why:

* did you know it includes roadside assistance?
    * it's bumper to bumper, 7/100, 0 deductible in my case
    * better resale value, I'll probably sell at 6 years/80k miles, to have some left on it
    * we wasted $2500 on our 626 in less mileage/time
    * peice of mind, no big surprises
    * free loaner guarantee (already made use of that)
    * red carpet treatment (we got a minivan, not a Geo Metro)

-juice
    seems unnecessary, and $3 cheaper this way
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    got my '02 wagon in this AM for 30K service - dealer talked me into an extra $150 for chemical "flushing/cleaning" of cooling system, brake lines, injectors, etc. I said OK, now that I've had a moment to think about it sounds mostly like a good profit item for the dealer. What do you think? jive?
    They're also to check out the intermittent clutch judder problem which I KNOW the car has, but which it will probably fail to exhibit for them. What should I say when they tell me the clutch is "fine"? I've actually learned to deal with it pretty well from a driving technique standpoint, and it only happens when its quite cold, but since there's a TSB on it I think it SHOULD be fixed, since the problem is definitely there.
    Lastly, I have noticed a pronounced "chirp" everytime the AC compressor cycles on - any thoughts on that?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The "chirp" is most likely from the belt slipping a bit as the a/c compressor switches on. Have the dealer check it for wear and proper tension.

The flush and fill treatment for the cooling and brake systems (esp. w/ABS) is a good idea, but IMO, fuel injector cleaning for a car that runs hi-octane is wasted $$. The only top-end cleaning our cars might ever need is to have the throttle body spiffed.

Tell them you want the TSB work performed on your car, period. The TSB will list the build date of the affected cars, and so as long as your car is in that group, there shouldn't be any fuss. If the service manager balks at you, tell them you wouldn't have mentioned the clutch judder if it weren't an issue!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    If it's not in the Subaru Maint. manual, it's not necessary to have done.

Try to leave your car overnight for them to replicate the clutch problem. It also helps if you can be there to ride with a tech.

I notice a compressor chirp sometimes as well. I think it's just the belts, but I'm not sure.

-Dennis
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    I get a compressor KLACK (much louder than the noise it makes cycling on and off automatically).
    I think the brake fluid replacement is a flush. Or do they run an extra bottle of brake fluid thru the lines and call it a flush?
    A full drain of the cooling system should include the coolant in the radiator and engine block...I fill and run distilled water before filling with coolant mix.
    Clogged injectors usually show some kind of symptom...Techron every 5 to 10K is all I do.
    Auto trans flush...good.
    Engine flush...I was told by an engine rebuilder that if you change your oil often there should be no sludge buildup...If your engine does have sludge and you use a flush, the sludge will travel somewhere and plug up oil passages. If an engine is clean and you do a flush...no harm done.
  • dill6dill6 Member Posts: 120
    and the dealer says Subaru won't authorize the repair unless they (the service dept.) can confirm it - and apparently they aren't willing to "fudge" on it. Maybe it will pop up again when the weather gets colder. We'll see.

Only have 5K mi. left on my warranty, but that should get me into some seriously cold weather here. The service mgr. encouraged me to bring it back as soon as the weather gets cold and befor ethe warranty expires - he seemed to want to assure me that he would like to authorize the repair if only they can get the fault to appear for them. Are other dealers taking the same line?

After thinking about it some more, I doubt I'll go for the special 'flush' routine again. I'm only SURE of one thing - I got my wallet 'flushed' to the tune of an extra $150.

One more thing on the clutch - any chance that the problem might go away on its own? And is this TSB applicable to WRXs only, or also other Subies?
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    If possible, leave the car overnight at dealer and let them start it and drive it first thing in the morning. The few times my car had the shudder, it was early in the morning when the clutch was cold. (and the air a little humid)
  • msdannyjmsdannyj Member Posts: 22
    In NJ, I am paying $1800 a year for full coverage on a new 2003 WRX wagon. Is this reasonable or am I being ripped off? THanks
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    depends on a lot of factors. What's your age? How's your driving record? Where do you live? etc
    Your best bet is call up local insurance agents and get quotes from more than one insurance company.
    Changing my oil today, first time doing it myself, but it's so easy I don't know why I never did it before. Got my Fumoto quick change valve ready to go too, should make it even easier going forward. 21800 miles, going to put my first batch of synthetic, got some Mobil 1 at Walmart, just have to run over to the Subie dealer to get a new filter (I have heard those Frams Walmart carries are not so good).

Then we're heading over to the Dave Matthews concert in Hartford tonight :-D
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    is supposed to be done at 30K on the WRXs.

-mike
    Finished installing my TurboXS Stealthback kit (with cat) this weekend (also the oil change and Fumoto valve).. Drove about 50 miles so far, no CELs, it is AWESOME!! Pics of the install at: http://wrx.claud9.com/turboback/
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
  • redscoobyredscooby Member Posts: 55
    Just returned from my first road trip in my WRX - Omaha NE to the Black Hills in SD and back. Total of 1400 miles in 3 days, with my brother and I sharing the driving.

Friday was 600 miles all interstate. The car was comfortable and quiet, with no aches at the end of it (great seats!!). A little windnoise around the driver's door/window was the only complaint (other than the price of gas!!). Visited Badlands National Park on the way.

Saturday was 150 miles in the Black Hills - very scenic and great driving roads. Had a rare chance to test the WRX's grip & handling on an empty twisty road to Silver City, full of 2nd gear corners and switchbacks. For the most part, the car's grip outlasted my nerve (severe consequences for leaving the paved surface!!). Visited Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, and some caves.

Sunday was 650 miles of highways from Deadwood SD down through the sand hills of north central NE, and back to Omaha. Just for grins, on some straight and empty stetches of rural highway where you could see about 1 or 2 miles ahead, I managed 135mph on the flat while my brother reached the end of the speedometer (140) on a long slightly downhill stretch. We were amazed at how stable the car felt at that speed (although we did not stay there for long!!). Ten hours in the car and still felt pretty good at the end of it.

Averaged around 26mpg for the trip which seems decent. Now it is back to sensible commuter driving and the Black Hills road trip will just be a fond memory :)
    Those are my mascots ;-)
    26 mpg with 135 mph bursts! I'm imprezed.
    I was missing one gas receipt and another did not show the number of gallons, but in both cases I know approximately how many gallons I pumped. Calculations came out at between 25 and 26 mpg. Despite the short speed runs, most of the 1400 miles were cruising around 65-80 (with the a/c off).
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    or you could buy a purolator filter at your friendly neighborhood pep boys... i think the filter is very slightly different (if at all) from OEM, but purolator does make the OEM filters...
    Yesterday my 'low fuel' light came on for the first time. I hurriedly looked for a gas station but was surprised when the pump cut off at 13.7 gallons. The WRX specs state a 15.9 gallon tank. Is it usual for the low fuel light to come on with 2 gallons left?

Along the same lines, has anyone managed more than 365 miles on a single tank? That was how many I had done when the low fuel light came on. The specs for the WRX show a range of 429 miles at highway speeds (my 365 miles were all interstate at 70-75mph).
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    IIRC most passenger car low fuel lights come on when at least 1 1/2 gallons remain.
    if you are on an incline, it may come on earlier or later.
    Those estimates are on completely flat ground at 55-60mph, not 70-75. Also it doesn't take into consideration wind resistance as well IIRC.

Most have a 2 gallon reserve IIRC.

-mike
  • philwang66philwang66 Member Posts: 61
    Redscooby,

As others have mentioned, when the light comes on there's usually a couple of gallons left in the tank.

Also the range "spec" of 429 miles is simply the tank capacity 15.9 multiplied by the EPA highway mileage rating of 27 mpg. You got 365 miles on 13.7 gals, which works out to 26.64 - that's pretty close to the EPA number. I get about 21 mpg in mixed driving.

- Phil
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    I have gone 369 miles and put in 14.0x gallons. My friends 02 has gone 412miles and needed 14.6 gals....driving like the back was full of eggs.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    the fuel tank's volume is different than what you can most likely get out of it.

it is > 15 US gallons, but it is dog-bone shaped with a hump in the middle to allow for driveshaft clearance.

the problem is that the fuel pump is on one side of that hump, the right side if memory serves me correctly, and thus fuel could be in the other side yet unusable. same reason you get fuel starvation under hard cornering (I think right turns) when low on fuel. anyone that has done an autocross or track days with less than 1/3 tank knows what I'm talking about...

-Colin
    I RTFM'd and my Forester's light comes on with 2.3 gallons left.

They don't want you running on empty, so they're conservative about it.

-juice
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I got 385 miles not too long ago. I think I put in about 15 gallons. One of these days I'll do a Kramer and go for 400 miles.

The tank is indeed dog bone shaped. There is a secondary pump that moves fuel from the right side to the left side of the tank where the fuel pick up is.

Subaru had a diagram of it a recent issue of Drive.
    One of these days I'll do a Kramer and go for 400 miles.

YES!
  • ctwrx1ctwrx1 Member Posts: 34
    At the risk of offending a few of my fellow 2002 WRX wagon owners I am going to give periodic updates on my experience as a first time Subaru customer seeking warranty service for my car. Some of you may have read my earlier messages about my defective transmission that jumps out of first gear.
          In summary, I first reported the problem to my dealer on 12-23-02 with 9448 miles. After demonstrating the problem for my service writer on 5-15-03 two separate attempts were made to repair the transmission. On 8-1-03 a Technical Representative from Subaru witnessed the problem in a road test and submitted a report to Subaru of America. By August 18 I couldn't wait any longer and called 1-800-Subaru3 for a status report. I was told I would hear from someone soon. On 8-20-03 I called my dealership for help. On 8-22-03 I called the Subaru 1-800 number again.
         Keep in mind neither my dealership nor Subaru corporate had returned any of my phone calls. I talked to two customer service reps before requesting a manager. The customer service manager promised to call me early the next week. Today at 10:50 a.m., I attempted to reach the customer service manager. He was in a meeting and my message would be relayed to him. He did not call. It's 1:00 a.m. and I'm planning my course of action.
         If you are not a Subaru customer and are reading messages on this website to get a feel for some WRX owner experiences my long-winded message could save you future heart break. I love the car dispite its shortcomings. I know Subaru will eventually repair the car to my satisfaction. However, it's difficult to put into words how bad it feels to be at the mercy Subaru's low class customer service. It is an experience I'll never forget.
  • axp696axp696 Member Posts: 90
    That's nothing, try reading the Transmission forum over on NASIOC. It'll make you sick to your stomach. While there are a lot of foolish people putting excessive power through a transmission and abusing it at the same time, there are a lot of people out there without modifications, that drive like grannies, and are stuck with defective transmissions. When Subaru can't use the modification excuse, they claim driver abuse and kick you out on the curb. Apparently the only way to get them to honor the warranty on their shoddy transmission is with a lawsuit (of which there have been many). When I was car shopping, every person I talked to said Subaru makes great cars, but their dealers are awful. I guess I've just been lucky so far that they do make reliable cars and to not have any major breakages, allowing me to keep my dealer visits to a minimum.
    From every single other non-US manufacturer. WIth the exception of the domestic makers, who will warranty anything no matter how abused it is, it's gonna be the same story. Talk to the Toyota owners who had sludge problems in their engines etc.

The 5MTs are not weak, nor do they "break" A good deal of the problems are kids who burn out and drop it into gear at 3000+ rpms, or people who routinely abuse them or do upgrades without upgrading the tranny.

Yes the tranny is small for the engine, but the few people I know who had tranny problems, had them fixed without hesitation by SOA. Perhaps your approach or your dealer is the one that is causing the problem. Dealers are going to be hit or miss, that's just the car game, I've had good dealers and bad dealers, if your local one doesn't work well try another one in the area.

-mike
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I've gotten the same terrible warranty service from Audi. It's not limited to just Subaru.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    And don't forget there are also posts on nasioc about tranny's being replaced under warranty.

I had a problem with my '97 Outback Sport's tranny. The customer service that I received from SoA and the SDC District Service Operations Manager was outstanding.

-Dennis
    One guy with a broken tranny that was whining incessantly kept asking why he could no longer chirp the tires in 3rd (!) gear.

You gotta keep in mind there are PLENTY of abusers that indeed should pay for repairs out of their own pocket, if only so they can learn to stop using such poor judgement.

I agree with Subaru, in these cases they should not pay, otherwise they have to increase the prices the rest of us pay.

Let's turn this around, if you owned a dealership and a kid walked in with "2 Fast, 2 Furoius" stickers plastered all over his WRX, clearly modified and driven hard, would you occupy your best mechanic's time to fix it for nothing?

If it's bone-stock, I mean completely, no ECU flash or nothing, and it's under warranty with records to prove maintenance was done on schedule, well that's a different story. If the dealer turns you away, well, you need to find a better dealer.

-juice
    Dealer serivce varies quite a bit from great to truly awful. However, I'm pretty sure SOA is working hard to try and raise the bar for service across all dealers. If you do have the luxury of several dealers in your area, it pays to shop around. In the SF Bay Area where I'm located, there's quite a spread of dealer "quality".

As for the tranny issues, it becomes readily apparent reading through NASIOC that there are WRX owners out there that just simply do not know how to drive stick. Sure, the 5MT is far from perfect, but I suspect the driver is to blame for quite a number of tranny failures.

Ken
    For every warranty claim that SOA pays out on a tranny that some kid did a Fast and Furious on, they are not the ones paying in the end. In the end the next generation of subaru buyer will be footing the bill for these kids. So as far as I'm concerned, kill their warranties cause I don't want to be stuck paying for their poor judgement! Most of those kids will not own subies as their next cars, it will be whatever the "me too" car is of the day.

-mike
    Sure, there are plenty of idiots out there, but try reading some of the threads in those forums. For every one that destroyed their transmission in a blaze of glory, there's one for someone that did nothing but baby their transmission, only to get the joy of bending over for Subaru. The other day I was in a dealership picking up some touch-up paint (no comment on that one ;-) ), and there was a 45 year-old mother of three sitting in a dealer office reduced to tears because she couldn't understand why she needed to pay 5 grand for a new transmission for her WRX wagon that was less than a year old, wouldn't be covered under warranty, or how she had "abused" it. *groan* I'd be happier if Subaru just said up front "Your transmission won't be covered under warranty, ever. Deal with it." It'd be closer to the truth than the legal bull they're pulling now.
    I bet that some of those "babied the tranny" folks aren't telling the truth. Don't forget everything people SAY on the internet is not FACT.

-mike
    That mom should call 800-SUBARU3. I kind of doubt she abused it.

Then again, does she have a teenage son?

Still, she ought to call. But I bet she represents a small minority.

-juice
         Well, I'm not a mother of three and 45 years old. I'm a father of two with college for two starting next year and the year after. I bought the WRX in large part because of the legendary Subaru longevity and the new car warranty. I figure I won't be buying a new car for another ten years...if I'm lucky.
         Now, I won't be reduced to tears but I will take every necessary step to get my WRX repaired right up to hiring a lawyer, something I never thought I would have to do.
         I think the WRX transmission is a good one and should stand up to normal use as well as most. I believe I have an unusual defect, maybe a machining problem at the factory. The way I drive it should be the last component on the car to wear out. I'm not questioning Subaru quality.
         I called 1-800-Subaru3 at 10:30 a.m. this morning. I asked to speak to Carmine, the customer service team leader at corporate Subaru. He hasn't returned my call from 8-22-03 or my follow up call from 9-5-03. Well, Carmine was in another "meeting". Some people do bend the truth when they write to these message boards. My story is so absurd it's entertaining in its straight factual form. I explained my plight to Barry, the customer service rep who received my call. I asked that Barry call me back by noon if nobody else answered my request for a return phone call. It's 12:25 and no call.

I think if a customer is serious about it and has documented their service (peice of cake at my.subaru.com), then going through the normal channels ought to work:

* dealer
    * dealership manager
    * 800-SUBARU3
    * Patti (LOL)

-juice
    Tranny failure from abuse and from manufacturing variation issues are two different things. I'm sure it wouldn't take much investigation to determine which was the cause of the failure.

The chances of random tranny failure for some one who really did baby the tranny have got to be pretty low.

Ken
    I just called Subaru of America again to see if I could make arrangements to get my WRX wagon in for the transmission repairs I've mentioned. Unfortunately, Carmine has "left for the day". I asked if I could speak to Mr. McEntee, the Manager of "CVS", what they call their customer service department. Adam, the rep who took my call, explained that Mr. McEntee does not take phone calls from customers. However, I can write him a letter.
         I inquired as to whether there was another manager I could speak with. The answer was "no". There is no Subaru management that will talk with me about having my car repaired. I can correspond by mail with the CEO of Subaru of America, T.K. Saito.
         Have any of you out there ever worked as a customer service rep or manager? I have. This is the first customer service department I've encountered with an "untouchable" manager. I can't help but think about the stack of Subaru "Drive" magazines I've accumulated. I wonder if they will publish my story?
    Tranny failure from abuse and from manufacturing variation issues are two different things. I'm sure it wouldn't take much investigation to determine which was the cause of the failure.

I agree. It makes me wonder why the policy of the Subaru regional reps is to deny all transmission warranty claims sight unseen (though I guess sometimes they do show up in person to peer into the shop before denying it). I'm just thankful I haven't had any problems yet. I know I treat and maintain my car meticulously, but I guess we'll see.
This discussion has been closed.