Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• zolcatzolcat Member Posts: 14
    and the color I am looking for is either the ocean mist or the baltic blue. Besides calling each and every Honda dealer, how do I find who has the EXLs? I am willing to drive upto 60 miles or so from zipcode 06801.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    That is a case of supply and demand. Every year when there is very little left to choose from, we dealers are more then happy to adjust the price higher to a captive audience. After all, if I have three 2008 Odyssey's and there are six left within 100 miles, I will raise the price. Pure and simple.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Honda of Watertown, Watertown, CT
    has 08 EXL Baltic Blue stock 80519
    Goto www.autotrader.com > New Car > type in ZIP > choose radius > select Honda > New Car > Dealer only > set the price to 30,000 that eliminate the LX model

There are a bunch of 2008 new Odyssey listed. At least I saw Paragon has a blue EXL there and Manchester Honda has a bunch of blue, light and dark.
  • yak33yak33 Member Posts: 14
    Being new to these boards, I first wondered if dealers monitor/lurk/actively participate on this website. With mplshondadlr's reply, it at least answers some of it.

yak33
    Autotrader is a good starting point. For my dealership it seems as though there is an information lag of about a week or two for inventory updates.

I just did a locate for 2008 Odyssey EX in NY, NJ and CT. Here is what I found:
    DEALMAKER HONDA OF POTSDAM RL3848EW KA BL/GR
    DEALMAKER HONDA OF POTSDAM RL3848EW KA GX/OL
    MILLER HONDA RL3848EW KA RE/IV
    EXECUTIVE HONDA RL3848EW KA RE/IV
    DEALMAKER HONDA OF POTSDAM RL3848EW KA RE/IV
    LIA HONDA RL3848EW KA WH/IV

There are about 15 - 20 million people in the NY, NJ, CT area and only six Odyssey EX's to choose from. Good luck getting a good price.
  • su_hydsu_hyd Member Posts: 24
    Please check dealer's website for their current inventory.
    Now a days, almost all dealers post their invetory on their website.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Given what a new '08 EX can be bought for, 16.5K for a hard-crashed '06 is WAY too much - period.
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    davesri - not sure you going to do better in terms of saving money.
    See if they will toss in like floor mats, mud guards, etc. Being used and such, and in an accident, they have gone down as much as they are going to. (can't see the original post in terms of mileage, numbers right now.)
    See what they say. If they give you the extended warranty for a good price, maybe "take it and run" if you know what I mean.

Dave
  • lab88lab88 Member Posts: 24
    So, there are 88 in Indiana, plus whatever's not listed on autotrader. What price should I shoot for on an EX or EXL? I really don't care which one I get.
    for a 08 EXL (no res, no nav)... I would say $25 to $25.5k is good price
  • aggienick02aggienick02 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the $3500 incentive is still in effect? Many websites (including consumer reports) reported it in effect til November 3 and no longer show any active incentives. Has this incentive passed or is it somehow still in effect? Thanks!

Edmunds lists the incentive still but says it can no longer be combined with 1.9-3.9 financing. This doesn't make sense though with recent reports (after Nov. 3) that some people are still getting both.
    The $3500 is still valid on the 2008 Odyssey's, spoke to a dealer about it yesterday afternoon.
    It does not apply to the 2009 models, which is why, out the door with taxes etc, the difference between them can run between 3500 to 4000.
  • aggienick02aggienick02 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks zolcat. Any idea if the special financing can still be combined? Edmunds.com incentives say no, but a good number of buyers still seem to be getting both.
    Yes. Special financing can still be combined with $3500 dealer incentive.
    Special financing is valid until 01/05/2009 on all of 08 Odyssey's. Check honda.com for this information.

Any one with credit score of 710+ can qualify for 1.9% for 36 months or 3.9% for 60 months.

Don't know credit score cut off for getting 1.9% for 24 months or 3.9% for 37 months.

Bottomline - Dealer incentive of $3500 good until end of 08 combined with special interest that is good until 01/05/09 for all of 08 Odysseys
    I'm real curious - Is the invoice price shown on edmunds or kbb or yahoo autos realistic, is it the real invoice or is it padded?

For example, with 25500 sale price, assuming incentive of 3500, a destination charge of 670, a holdback of 2% MSRP 645 , give a starting invoice price if 28975.

28975+670-645-3500=25500
    Assuming that they are making atleast 3% profit

Dealer Invoice =28975/1.03=28131, atkeast a $1000 away from Edmunds invoice price of 29166 - Is there an additional set of component that helps dealers adjust their prices?
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    The published invoice numbers are accurate. Not sure why you've included a phantom "3% profit."

The "component that helps dealers adjust their prices" is the marketplace.
  • cro372cro372 Member Posts: 11
    I received an out-the-door price of $28,300 for an EX-L. Is this a good offer?
    No, that way too high!
    Whoa, wait a minute. OTD pricing includes sales tax and depending what state he/she lives in, $28k+ might be pretty good.

This Saturday we pick up our new 2008 EX-L. Will divulge the details of the deal then, but I can tell you we're in CA with 8% sales tax. So that's a whopping $2100 of our OTD price. And good thing we bought now because of CA's estimated $28b deficit, I'm betting our taxes go higher.

yak33
    Whoa, wait a minute. OTD pricing includes sales tax and depending what state he/she lives in, $28k+ might be pretty good.

I know. I was trying to make a point. Who cares what his(her) OTD price is without know what the selling price is (including destination) and any dealer doc fee's.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Uh... I think we've beaten that point into a round nub.. :surprise:

Plus, once three more members make a post in this discussion, it will disappear up the line, anyway...

So... let's stick to answers and comments... and leave the pointing to rude people (as my mother used to say).

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• davesridavesri Member Posts: 3
    Yes, we ended up going ahead with it. They threw in the 4 year 100,000 comprehensive warranty. Covers everything. Only thing we need to pay for is standard services like oil changes, tune ups, etc.

That was a 2k package. So really, the price on the vehicle is 14,500.

We were comfortable with the drive on it, and the warranty ensures they will pay for any issues.

We're not planning on owning it for more than 3-4 years maximum at this point. Just need to get through 2011 when my wife completes her Doctorate Program and she is back to working full time.

Additionally, we were involved ina double accident a few years ago. Our 2 Hondas (2000 Accord, and 2001 Civic) were both totalled. They COMPLETELY saved the lives of us and our 2 kids!! I trust a used-fully repaired Honda over ANYTHING else on the road!
    I apologize I didn't break down the pricing earlier.

$26,000
  • ekdalekdal Member Posts: 10
    Here's my quick story from the week-end.. Here in NC I offered 30.3k for ODY 08 with res and nav OTD. And I said to the salesmen, throw in "two extra headphones(we have 4 kids)." Salesmen agreed.

I came back the next day and the 2 extra headphones were off the table. Conveniently "forgotten." After about a half hour of waiting, the salesmen comes back with a young twenty-something manager. He sits down at the table with me and says, "Meet me half way. I pay for one headphone, you pay one at cost. $64." I said, "the salesmen already said two."

"Well, I understand that, but I can barely give you the car as it is. You can go across the street and buy an 07 used one close to this price."

I said, "Then the used ones aren't that good of a deal."

"This price is my best price."

"I understand," I said. "But I don't think I'm going to budge on this. I'm nervous as it is. If one of the big three goes under I think there's going to be some fire sales in the next few months and I'll be kicking myself."

"Won't happen. Prices won't drop. Look what happened when Daewoo went under? Cars sold for the same prices but without a warranty."

I didn't say anything because I don't know anything about Daewoo.

""You're already 4k under what I should be selling this car for," said the manager. "I must stick with this price."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the salesmen wince a little at this. The salesmen was much older than the manager and alot smoother and I sort of half wondered if they were both salesmen running a little game but I don't know.

I can't believe what I did. I had no hard feelings but I said to them, "It's the principal." And I walked off the lot over 64 bucks.

They didn't try and stop me and they haven't called back so the good part is, I think I found the rock bottom absolute price for an 08 Honda with res and nav. Bad part is, we're still driving a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and kids and wife are about to lynch me.
  • liaodyliaody Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my new Odyssey EXL a week ago and the price was $25,914 (dest. included). This is the lowest qoute I got for over 150 miles radius from my location in Central Pa.
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    Ekdal - You may think you walked off the lot over $64.00. But remember one thing. They let you walk out over $64.00. It all depends on how you look at it.
  • ethansskyethanssky Member Posts: 8
    Hi, All.

I am looking for a 2008 Odyssey EXL with or With RES or Nav. NJ/NY/PA :lemon:

Color. Bali Blue Pearl, Ocean Mist Metallic, or Sterling Gray Metallic.
    Most import is the Interior Color "Gray"

Any dealer suggestion? :)
    I was just browing last night and happended to land on these dealer sites:

Potamkin Honda in NY and Faulkner Honda in PA

Both had a few listed on their website, but I don't know how "Good" these dealers are.

Potamkin Honda Inventory Listing

Faulkner Honda Inventory Listing

I think the slate green also has a 'dark' interior, though not sure if its gray or olive.

The 'ivory' looks more like tan.
    Thank you. I send them an email. Lets wait and see
    Thanks for the information. I'm in Alabama. So far, $26k is the lowest I've been able to find as well.

Were you able to get the 3.9% financing as part of your package?
  • liaodyliaody Member Posts: 4
    I've got the 2.9% 60 months financing. I'm guessing that was the last day of that offer. I was supposed to buy to a different dealer but I called the dealer close to my house and told them that I'm on my way to purchase the mini-van. He called me back after 5 minutes and told me that they will beat the price under $200.
    I don't know much about Boch Honda in MA, are willing to sell an EXL at 25107 + 298 doc fee, plus tax, title, etc. They have around 7 of them, all different colors. I don't know if this is one of the typical bait and switch.
    I am going to Paragon tomorrow and let you all know if I get a good deal. They have a few 2008 Odyssey EXL left. Have anyone shop at paragon Honda before?
    $25,400 including doc is a pretty good price, imo. A previous poster mentioned anything between $25k - $25.5k is decent. My 2008 EX-L buy fell in that range also.

Two invaluable sources of info I used in the negotiating process was this website, and Real Car Tips:

link title

It features real world pricing and easy to understand/compare. You should get a sense of what's really being negotiated. I'll post my buy on the site this weekend, as well as here. I hope others will post their buys on Real Car Tips too.

yak33
  • gahugafugagahugafuga Member Posts: 5
    I used the Capital One Autobuying program to get a price on a 2008 Odyssey with res + nav. Capital one said the price would be $28704 + fees. The dealer that was refered emailed me back today a price of $28,998.00 plus sales tax, license, doc and tire fee. Is the "Tire" fee legit? I am new at buying cars but it sounds like a way to get extra money out of me. Is this a good price? I am buying the vehicle in California, near Oakland.

Anthony
  • erick830erick830 Member Posts: 16
    hi

i live in the sf bay area and i am planning to buy a odyssey EXL with RES what is a good price in this area

thank
    I'm from the bay area, and your probably looking at high $26k - mid 27k with RES and mid $28k - high 29k with both RES/NAV. These are just estimates based on browsing, but you might do better as the year ends, if you're not to picky on colors.

yak33
  • erick830erick830 Member Posts: 16
    thanks for responding is that price for 2009 models, i saw $35,000 EXL with RES on the honda website. i am planning to buy at the end of this month Nov. to bad they increased their financing to 1.9 and 3.9%

thanks
    No, those prices are for 2008's.

yak33
  • papagophpapagoph Member Posts: 3
    I just closed my deal tonight on the 2008 EX-L. Since I've been monitoring this board for the past week I wanted to share my insight.

I live in Central Illinois and the my local dealer quoted me $26,400. A few calls and emails to various dealers in the Chicago and St. Louis Area got things moving in the right direction. I was getting quotes for both the EX and EX-L. The trend I detected was linked to how many of each model was on a dealer's inventory. When they only have a few the quote was not that good.

For the EX model I found a dealer in St. Louis that gave an initialquote of $22,999 and one near Chicago that initially quoted $22,995. Not a bad starting point.

For the EX-L model I found a dealer in Lisle, IL that had over 30 models listed on their inventory. Their initial email quote was $25,895. After some negotiations I closed with this dealer for the and EX-L for $25,200.

The $25,200 includes destination charges. I'll have to pay taxes, license, and some doc fees, but not a bad deal. The kicker is they will also finance the deal at 3.9% for 60 months.

Good luck and look for those dealers that have a good supply of the models you are interested in.
    Wow papagoph, our buys were very similar! I was going to post this after pick up, but wanted to follow your post.

On Nov. 8 we bought a 2008 Baltic Blue Odyssey EX-L from Hansel Honda in Petaluma, CA. Due to our work schedules and the DVD installation, we decided to pick it up this Saturday. Here's the breakdown:

$32,210 MSRP
    $25,988 purchase price, including destination and dealer installed 10” DVD system.
    $55 docu fee
    $272 license, reg, transfer, tire fees
    $2083 tax (8.0% OUCH!)
    -----
    $28,398 OTD
    Note: To complete the deal at $25,988 I negotiated a dealer-installed aftermarket drop-down 10.0" DVD system. So, looked at another way we ran the dealer's numbers and the purchase price on the EX-L straight out was $25,300. This is just a hair above the $25,200 quoted above. (I will also post this info on the Real Car Tips website).

Baltic Blue seems pretty scarce in EX-L now (at least in northern CA and even harder to find in with RES (none in northern CA according to checks by a few local dealers). Out of 30 2008's of various models on Hansel’s lot, this was the only dark blue one. Papagoph makes the interesting observation about amount of 2008’s on a dealer’s lot factoring into more favorable pricing. It makes sense that a dealer would do this and I agree. Is a coincidence our buys are so close? Maybe, maybe not.

FYI – For a comparison, we first drove a 2009 Sienna LE. It was a joy to drive and frankly I liked it better than the Odyssey. It seemed a bit more refined overall. The Odyssey was noisier inside, especially rows 2&3. However, as this was to replace my wife's car, we agreed this would be her call to make. She liked the Odyssey's body lines, interior, and a few other things better than the Sienna. In the end, I think both the Odyssey and Sienna are winners, so I don't think you can go wrong with either.

yak33
    I got offered for 2008 Odyssey EX-L with Res DVD for $27000

Price $27000 (include Dest Charge and Doc fee)
    + Tax + Title etc ($262)

OTD price $29523

is that a good price?
    I just brought home my new 08 Odyssey EX-L (without RES/NAV)

08 Odyssey EX-L (without RES/NAV)
    Purchase date: 11/15/08
    Region / City: Northern Virginia / Central Virginia / Fredricksburg / Richmond
    Color - Slate Green w/ Grey Interior (had to pay $150 extra for this color. dealer trade)
    Mileage - 160 ( 80+ miles added due to dealers trade)
    Options installed - Mud flaps + Wheel Locks + Pin stripings + Cargo Tray (MSRP $107 + $81 + $80 + $117)

$32,845 MSRP (destination included)
    $385 MSRP Options installed

$24903 - Sale price with Destination
    $759 - Tax (3%)
    $94.65 - License + Registration + Title
    $399 - Document Fee
    $26,150 OTD

$640 Honda Extended Warranty for 80K / 72 months. Purchased from the same dealer.
    Financed this purchase through Honda Finance - 1.9% for 36 months

Thank you all for your posts in this forum and good luck with your Odyssey purchase.
    I think its a good price because:

MSRP = 33810
    Holdback = 2% of MSRP = 676.20
    Destination = 670
    Invoice = 30627
    Mkt Support = 3500
    Doc Fee = 0
    so Invoice - Holdback + destination -mktsupport + doc fee = 27120.8

So if you are giving getting below 27120.08 before TTL, its a 'good' deal. That said, I don't know if others are getting for it. Good Luck :)
    That is a really good price. I just bought the EXL here in CT and opted for the financing:

Invoice: 25458
    Dealer: 329
    Before Tax: 25787
    Tax [CT 6%]: 27334.22
    Registration and new plates: 173
    Out the door 27507.22
    Congrats zolcat! Price is right and did you find it in autotrader.com?

What color do you get?
  • mrmom17mrmom17 Member Posts: 8
    Received an offer of $30060 for EX-L w/ RES from one dealer. This is before taxes and such. Another dealer over the phone said that he would beat any offer by $500. What I don't know and have not seen from any recent posts (forgive me from not going through all 1000+ pages) is a price paid for this particular model "out the door". I do ultimately plan to lease. I have found that the current money factor is 0.00161, but from what I have seen from other posts is that the current depreciation rate is about 45%. That seems a little high, but maybe with our current economy, this is now the norm... So, basically what I am asking the other readers & posters of this forum is a good price (Capitalized Cost) to start negotiating with. Thanks!
  • jer77jer77 Member Posts: 3
    That seems like a heck of a deal to me. Best I could do was $32,000 which included destination, mudguards, cargo tray, and all season floor mats but NO sales tax and $150 doc fee.

Where did you find this deal? Obviously these guys are willing to sell below invoice and holdback at that price.
  • lab88lab88 Member Posts: 24
    There is a 3500 incentive right now on 2008, but not 2009s. They're willing to sell below incentive, minus 3500, minus whatever else depending on how many vans they have to sell. A 2009 will cost more but will be worth more when you trade it in if you're planning to only keep the van for a few years. The 2009 also has a power liftgate, which I did NOT want because if you have it you can't cram the last bit of luggage in there as easily. I bought a 2008 because I am planning on keeping it until the wheels fall off. I haven't take delivery yet, but when I do I'll post on my experience, which so far has been excellent.