Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Comments

• hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Maybe a beer-bath would get the ones already hiding in the engine.

No no, then the car will smell like crappy beer.

-Dave
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    saint viper, leave the car at the dealer overnioght so they experience it, I got a new clutch out of SOA doing that!
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    I've got a mental picture of a WRX reeking of beer driving down the road being chased by a bunch of Homer Simpsons :-)

-Frank P.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Installation of the clip takes less than a half an hour and was done while I waited.

TWRX
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I'll have to take some pics when they return to their home. I spent about 30 minutes the other night cleaning under the hood trying to find all their hiding places...no beer bath, but I did use a ton of Simple Green.

B
  • tekintekin Member Posts: 1
    After reading this and other forums I have decided to get the wagon. What I really wanted was the Sti but I got a great deal on the wagon and I also need the room to carry mountain bikes, snowboards and kite boards. I got the wagon wrx for $19,996 with 16 miles on it. It turns out that subaru labeled 5000 cars with paint damage and they don't give warranty but local dealer gave me warranty on the paint. Another downside was warranty already started on this car but only for 3 weeks. I bargained with salesman for an hour to get the short throw shifter for $110 and free install. For a brand new one with same specs I got it down to 21900. I think I will use this until Sti wagon comes out, I hope. I got a silver one but there was one black one left.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Good deal, that dealer ate a pretty big loss on your car.

-juice
  • epp1epp1 Member Posts: 48
    ...last summer I took my '02 into my local (Minneapolis) dealer and said, "Hey, I got shudder, GET SOME!" (no, not really the caps part).

They just nodded and replaced the whole clutch assembly...not a problem since even after multiple launches of my near 300hp wagon.

Sean
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    My wagon now has 17K miles on it and I am getting 26+ mpg in 70 highway/ 30 local driving.
    I cruise at the flow of traffic (70~X5) and my car sees reline about 2 times a day. On local roads I drive quite slow.
    How are those higher mileage cars doing?
    Don
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Assuming it is mainly steady driving with very little stop and go.

70 mph is a good speed to cruise at. RPMs are just below 3000. You should be able to get excellent gas mileage at that speed!

Was able to get 26 cruising between 74-84 mph.
    I just passed 17k miles on my 04 wagon this weekend, and have consistently seen about 25mpg on the highway (at about 75mph or so). In-town tanks with no highway driving are around 19-20mpg.

CA gas will always return lower economy for me...by 1-2mpg at least. I commute between Sacto (CA) and Reno (NV) frequently and the difference in economy between the tanks filled in CA and the ones in Nevada are noticable.

Brian
  • oneduckstwooneduckstwo Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone have any advice on purchasing an extended service plan? I have a 4 year loan on a used 02 wagon with 34k on it and would like to be covered as much as possible for the loan period at least. Basically, are they worth it?

Also, I think I have noticed the clutch "judder" I see mentioned everywhere but it seems to be only on very cold mornings which we don't really have very often in Los Angeles. Has anyone had any problem getting theirs replaced b/c of dealers not wanting to fix it? Thanks.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If you qualify for a factory (SOA) plan, get it. The third-party plans have been taking a beating after the various collapses of the reinsurers that back the policies, and many people have been left holding some very expensive pieces of paper that used to be service contracts.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper/Wagons Message Boards
    If you are only planning on keeping the car for 4 years don't forget your powertrain warranty is 5yrs/60K.
    I am a firm believer in ext warranties but always get the manufacturers and not an aftermarket.This is esp true for less reliable makes but even for my 98 Legacy I got my money back double from my 6/100 warranty as I essentially got a new a/c out of Subaru plus various other stuff. Most decent dealers treat you much better too with a factory warranty - I had my timing belt replaced under warranty as the delaer told SOA it was "damaged" by the oil leak they were fixing under the warranty. There are websites where dealers will sell you a Subaru ext warranty for 30% + off "MSRP".
  • nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I've started experiencing the clutch shudder you guys have been mentioning. Seems to be worse in or after rain.
    Given the grief I got from subaru about my stupid mirror problem I can't really see them giving a hoot about my clutch problems.
    I also just got a recall notice about the cruise control cable falling out of its track and pulling on the accelarator cable and not letting go, thus causing the audi accelaration problem.
    hasn't happened to me. Anybody experience this yet?
    STi can beat an EVO in a straight line, no replacement for displacement. Plus that 6 speed.

Mitsu will soon sell an MR version with more power and a 6 speed, to better match the STi.

-juice
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    So you think people in stock Audis, Bimmers or GTI's don't feel horrified when dusted by a Subaru.... wagon?
    Sounds like an Evo my friend, can't beleive you don't know of it. Given a certain street-race glorifying film, you'll find more people who know the particulars of that pocket rocket than a WRX or STi.
    It's probably the one true apples to apples competitor of the STi, so get over it. Of course this is coming from a guy who is still trying to come to grips with a Ford Focus dominating the Subie in WRC.

Nicholas
    Mitsu will soon sell an MR version with more power and a 6 speed, to better match the STi.

Assuming they remain in business that long... ;-)

-Frank P
    Touche!

-juice
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    didn't Subaru win the last rally? They just released the new version car, reputedly with a much better powerband, and it's a long season. Have faith ;-)
    Owen
    Yeah, and if someone had double-checked a battery terminal, Peter almost certainly would have won Mexico. Haven't lost faith yet, don't worry. Just worried that some little old lady in a Focus is gonna pull up next to me and ask,"Isn't the fast version of your car losing to a Focus in WRC?

Nicholas
  • oneduckstwooneduckstwo Member Posts: 34
    I'm becoming convinced of the Subaru Gold Plus plan (probably 6/80000 since it starts from the original purchase date of Oct. 01) but where do I find these "internet prices"...all I have is the booklet from Subaru and it's $1370. I checked my local "stellar performer" dealer site and couldn't find anything. Running out of time though... I'm afraid the dealer might give me the run around about the clutch shudder since my 3yr/36k is very nearly up. thanks for the info.
    Call around to several local dealerships, tell them you're considering buying the Subaru Gold Plus plan and ask for a quote on their "best" price.

-Frank P
    subaruwrxparts.com (a New England dealer) still do Subaru Gold plans (but they don't seem to list zero deductible prices but you could probably call them up). I got mine from subaruwarranty.com but they seem to have disappeared but there is a subaru-warranty.com which is a IL dealer
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Folks, keep in mind that it is against the Town Hall Membership Agreement to discuss/promnote illegal activity such as street racing and triple-digit speeding. Posts on this subject have been removed, and do not bring it up again!

Thanks
    kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper/Wagons Message Boards
    So you'll have to help me out here. Based on the posts you've deleted and the ones you've left, it is obviously inappropriate to accuse someone of street racing or to discuss the possible hypocrisy of criticising someone else. BUT it's okay to post about redlining in 4th trying to outrun another car on a public road.
    Just so I get it straight.
    Maybe I should lower the sarcasm a little and suggest you retrace the thread and its origins. Methinks you have a little more tidying to do if the rules are being applied.
    Nicholas
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Nicholas is right. I guess that this site DOES promote street racing, since they allow post # 5186 to stand. It's a shame...

As I said before KEEP IT ON THE TRACK. 4th gear at redline = well over 100mph in a populated area. Hopefully the host and the person posting that in the first place never has their family injured or killed by such street racing/displays of speed.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Give it a rest. As Frank said, I doubt anyone here believes that you've reformed. And no this site does not condone racing, nor does anyone here either.

Bob
    It does promote street racing, by allowing such posts and discussions of excessive speed on public roads.

Glad that EVERYONE on here knows that I HAVEN'T reformed.

When was the last time anyone on this board was in my car or in my presence driving? I can count 2 people on here who have seen me driving lately and both will attest that it's not excessively over the limit.

Why is it always acceptable for others to post up about antics that are DANGEROUS yet whenever I point out how dangerous it is, everyone say "Oh mike let it go, leave him be"

May none of YOUR FAMILY get hurt by these psychos out there doing over 100mph....

I don't want to hear anyone on here post up "oh my kid was injured in an accident due to excessive speed of another, please feel bad for me, please help them" When you sit here and condone it by NOT pointing out the dangers.

-mike
    You've spent years here bragging about how fast you drive on the street. Do you now expect everyone here to believe that you've changed your ways?? Not hardly buddy. You've got a long hard reputation that's not going to go away quickly -- if it ever goes away... And you have only yourself to thank for that.

Mike this not about the "message," but about the "messenger;" sort of a fox in the henhouse kind of thing. So don't be surprised if you hear some Internet chuckling among the Crew...

If you're sincere, then great; but please don't patronize us.

Bob
    Now I've seen it all. Mike calling someone else a hypocrite after he posts about the dangers of speeding! ROTFLMAO!

For the last time... Mike, no one is condoning reckless driving. We're merely pointing out that there are better ways to point out the dangers and that you're not in the best position to criticize others.

-Frank P
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    heh, kc is going to be doing some spanking when he shows up.

I think I'm more in shock that paisan was brazen enough to repost his flames than I am that nixomose's original post that drew paisan's ire was allowed to stand.

~c
    ps, I remember the posts about doing 90 in the trooper while towing something. LOL
    Now I am not allowed to go off on this guy who blatantly said he was racing, and all of you seem to find this acceptable???????? Like I said don't come crying to me when YOUR family gets hit by someone racing on a narrow populated highway.

-mike

PS: I don't believe I've ever posted up that I have raced on the road, cause I don't street race.
    A simple search on "paisan" and "mph" will reveal numerous posts where Mike brags about driving 90+mph -- even while TOWING in an SUV (!)...so he's absolutely the last person on earth I want to hear "keep it at the track" come from. Please...I personally don't care how fast you drive, but don't come down on others here with that kind of holier-than-thou attitude. Give us all a break.

B
    But there is a big difference between cruising at 90 on an interstate and RACING. Not to mention I'm quite reformed. Ever since I started going to the track about 2 years ago, you won't see met going more than 10-15mph over the limit. The person in question was easily doing DOUBLE the limit.

-mike
    No mention of 90+mph since '02....

Guess no one believes in being a reformed speeder, but as I said before it's more the RACING than the speeding per-say.

-mike
    So have you reached China yet in that hole you keep digging? :-)

You know a truly mature individual should be able to take constructive criticism and would not continue to argue a lost cause.

-Frank P
    Not only has he insulted me (again) but also most of the Crew, and perhaps most of Edmunds too. JB would certainly agree with "Mike's Mission," only you won't likely hear from him, as Mike insulted him about a month ago, and now JB refuses to even acknowledge him.

Good show Mike!

Bob
    Indeed. JB is a much more credible anti street-racing spokesman.

-Frank P
    You're cruising on the highway at say 75mph and see a car in your rearview closing in fast. You speed up, redlining it.
    Are you racing?

You're just cruising in your WRX at 90+ mph on a highway with not a care if a Civic passes you. Are you racing? If that is, then I'm guilty as everyone, but we aren't. Aren't we?

paisan reformed?
    I've seen the way paisan driven and experienced diaper moments riding shotgun with him in both our cars. Still remember the Cape May meet where he almost got me crashing. But that's the paisan of yore; there's indeed a difference in the way he drives post HPDE. He has shown wisdom and restrain from engaging in races with others or kamikaze feats, on public roads that is ;-)

-Dave

p/s seriously thinking of plopping the 5EAT into my WRX.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    OK - smoothing over ruffled feathers...if you feel your post was removed and another wasn't, just email the Host. If a comment is made in passing, we typically try to let it slide rather than being all up in arms about it. However, if a series of posts starts that violates some portion of the Membership Agreement, we start tagging them so the whole discussion doesn't go off the road.

That said, I'll claim imperfection on this. If you have an issue, feel free to email the Host or myself and we'll review the situation and work with you to make it more comfortable.

Back to the WRX.

For the record, I try not to think of how some TH members drive. Doh!
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Are tranny swaps really more trouble than they're worth??

-Dennis
    dennis, my big concern there would be that the ECU wouldn't like the 5spd auto's TCU. I would definitely wait until someone else tried it an documented their steps!

5 speed automatics are niiiiice though. (still prefer a manual!)

~c
    I could plop a 2.5l off an XT or GT to go with it :D

But that's prolly another year or two down the road. Looking to get the 5EAT and/or 2.5l with subie bucks subsidy.

-Dave
  • saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    I was at a dealer last weekend and they had a 2005 outback that one of the reps had brought. The outside looked similar the current model, but the inside was vastly improved. I had looked at a 2004 at the auto show and was really turned off by the dated looking interior. The new one is a 100% turnaround. To my eyes, it looked positively German.

The rep said they were coming out with a 280hp version of it. If that's the case, I can see upgrading from my WRX wagon someday.
    At least someone believes me, thanks Dave!

Everyone else: Sorry for dragging it out, I've just seen too many people hurt/killed not to let it go sometimes. Appologies all around.

-mike
    TCU + Tranny should theoretically work w/o too much trouble, especially into a VTD equipped car like the WRX. May have to work on the wiring harness a bit to match up wires.

-mike
  • doctoro1doctoro1 Member Posts: 9
    I still love my car after I bought it but I am wondering which exhaust upgrade is going to be stealth while still maintaining a nice little boost upgrade in hp? I have noticed that Subaru is actually selling a discounted SPT Muffler has anyone tried this? Is it worth the extra effort or is there something out there a little more aggressive without sacrificing the integrity of the car? I also asked about performance parts at my subie dealer, and he said they will void your warranty and they don't install STI parts.
    Anyone know of reputable Subie Wrx upgrade mechanics in the Northern Va. area?
    Thanks.
    You'll gain only noise from a muffler, but the boxer four does sound neat. :)

~c
This discussion has been closed.