Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

1109110111112113115»

Comments

• nixomosenixomose Member Posts: 95
    I know the recall was not about fixing the abs light going on, unless of course there was something wrong with the ECU, such that replacing it would fix the problem.
    Alas no, they replaced it, and the light still comes on sometimes. As you do, I await the bad weather to see if it's gotten any better.
  • searcherboysearcherboy Member Posts: 32
    Yes, I posted the same question on the WRX sedan thread.

Thx for your advice.
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    Friend in CA (worst gas) ran his 02 wrx on regular for 2 tankfuls and the cell light came on...91 turned it off...of course he didn't read the code off the ecu to verify it was the gas.
  • kgruberkgruber Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for owner input--a key criteria for my consideration of buying a 2006 Impreza WRX Wagon is the interior noise. I won't get a chance to test drive the car for a while, but would like input on whether it's "considerable" as indicated in a professional review? Also any opinions on whether the Forester XT is worth the extra $. Thanks!
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I am disappointed that the WRX auto does not come with their sportshift, along with the 5-speed auto trans. Especially considering that other non-sport products like Outback etc, comes with both the 5-speed and the sportshift.
    Seems like this thread is a sloooow moving thread. Not a single post in the past several days !
    Just to kick-start this thread, I wonder why Subaru decided to exclude the sport-shift from the WRX auto and also the 5-speed trans ?? The WRX ranks pretty much highest in the Subaru food-chain from a "sporty" perspective and to deny the manual shift capability to its auto trans is strange, considering that the Legacy/Outback etc that ranks lower down in the food-chain from a sportiness perspective, gets it. Any thoughts ?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    WRX was given a 230hp version of the engine, while the GT gets 250hp and costs more. So even though it's lighter and more agile, it's not positioned above the GT in the lineup.

Still, the omission of Sportshift in the WRX is a mistake, no doubt about it.

-juice
    True, the GT is positioned higher up in the lineup. But from a "sportiness" perspective, the smaller, lighter, nimbler WRX, on which even the WRX STI is based on, ranks higher than the GT. There was no reason why FHI denied it the sportshift and also the 5-speed auto...especially when an off-the-shelf 5-speed trans was available. It would have increased its sportiness and also improved mileage. Sad.
    Keeping the GT between the WRX and the STI sort of distinguishes those two models as well, keeps the STI on a pedestal, if you will.

Either way, STI doesn't come in an automatic so that's not the reason to keep SportShift away.

-juice
    I think the WRX does have a few "sporty" points in its favor. It has a quicker steering ratio than the GT (2.7 vs 2.8)...STI has 2.6. It also has much better bolstered sports seats, when compared to the GT and keeps you in place much better for quick directional switches. It is lighter (by around 150 lbs) and nimbler. I just wish they distiguished the WRX from the lesser Imprezas equipped with the 4-speed a bit more. I think they really had their chance when they equipped the WRX with the 17" wheels/215-45 tires, 4-pot front brakes and 2-pot rears and the torquier engine. I am just pissed that they did not go that extra mile and take the off-the-shelf 5-speed sportshift and complete the picture. A masterpiece that had a lot of things going for it, but left incomplete !
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Simple, they had to use up all the trannys that were built or planned...cost of scale thing...watch and see if the sportshift doesn't creep into the Impreza line.
    Hey, check out this video game, you can play for free on-line:

http://imprezashakedown.com/

Report you best time back here, I'm fumbling with my keyboard and finishing in the 1:06 range, though I think I broke the minute mark on a couple of laps.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I haven't even played it yet and I have the link on my website.
    Out of curiosity, I just checked out the WRX equivalent of the SAAB 9-2X (Aero). It has features like HIDs etc that are not available on the WRX but I was bitterly disappointed to see that the SAAB did not have roof railings. A wagon is supposed to be a utility vehicle, right ? I just crossed the SAAB off, as a possible consideration.
    Saab also gives 2 years' free service, but the price is higher. Back when the employee purchase program was around the Aero was actually just $19.4k!

-juice
    19.4K is a steal. But I would still need the roof rails, especially since the main reason for a wagon purchase is for the practicality it provides.
  • andmoonandmoon Member Posts: 320
    If I were buying now, I'd get the Saab and get roof rails from Subaru or look into aftermarket crossbars. 3 to 4 grand buys a lot of roof bars plus you get more sound insulation, and 2 yrs. maint.
    True. The crossbars are okay, since those are freely available and it is something that we can fit ourselves. The roof rails are a different situation, where we would need to drill multiple holes into the roof of the vehicle, potentially creating issues with warranty etc. Either way, the 19.4K deal is no longer applicable, so the point is moot !
  • soupboysoupboy Member Posts: 15
    Who cares?

How about a decent 6MT first - maybe poached from the STi. Or, more elegant, how about an STi wagon?
  • ruminatorruminator Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy WRX, I was just wondering whether it is possible to use 87 octane gas without any harm to the engine rather than the recommended 91 octane. Appreciate y :confuse: :confuse: our comments.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I wouldn't recommend you consider buying a WRX if you have to ask, or even having a notion about using 87 octane.

-Dave
    WRX employs a turbo engine. Turbos require premium fuel,and I would not put anything other than premium in it.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    It will definitely do damage. Knock sensors are for extreme conditions and to survive poor quality gas; they are not a feature to allow a high performance engine requiring premium fuel to be run on standard grade.

You'll melt stuff if you actually use the turbocharger due to detonation thanks to the too-low fuel octane. If you never pressed the pedal to the floor-- say you put a 2" stopper on the floorboard :P -- you might be fine, but in that case, you would be better served just being a lower performance vehicle.

The premium for premium is still irrelevant. (I haven't ranted on this in a while hehe.) A heavily driven WRX getting about 20 MPG in mixed city/hwy use totalling 20,000 miles per year, at $2.50 per gallon for premium nets an annual fuel bill of $2500. Paying $2.30 for 87 would be $2300, a whopping $200 savings. That's sarcasm in case you missed it :) -- in the face of a $400-550 per month car payment and $50-200 per month insurance, $200 extra per year is nothing. If it is truly significant then a person has NO BUSINESS buying a $25,000 car.

Buy a WRX, put in premium, be happy.
    ~Colin
    I bet an Outback Sport would perform just as well as that WRX with the 2" stopper on the floor board, anyway. ;)

Drive one, they have 173hp now, not too shabby.

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    noticed that when I accelearte there is a slight whistling noise, not like the usual turbo noise. Its hovering around zero fahrenheit, if that may have anything to do with anything, what is it?? Engine and heating seems to be running fine.
    I believe the mileage on a high-perf vehicle designed to run on premium, will also dip with regular.

With $2500 (1000 gallons) in premium, the car will run for 20,000 miles (20mpg).
    With $2300 (1000 gallons) in regular, the car will run for 17,000 miles (17mpg).

The fuel expense is a wash and you are killing the vehicle.
  • ruminatorruminator Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy a WRX in the next few days. I am curious to know your experiences in the snow. More fun to drive? ;)
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I care! Bring on the STI Wagon!
    Yeah, the WRX is fun in the snow. Just don't forget the laws of physics. There are limitations. Another thing, once the stock tires get a little wear, they leave a lot to be desired in the snow. If your planning on a lot of snow driving, I'd suggest swapping them out ASAP.
    Sure, it's noisy at 90 mph. Slow down! :P

I'll take all the power outlets I can get. I need 3-4, at least 3.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No, it's noisy at normal road speeds. :)

Bob
    Define "normal". :D

Speed is relative.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    40 – 70 mph.

Bob
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to owners who just bought a station wagon instead of purchasing a minivan or SUV. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 6, 2006

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Here you go, this sounds like you:

chintan32, "Talk to the Press" #976, 29 Dec 2005 3:39 am

Respond so you can get quoted in a newspaper or book.

-juice
    I really like the improvements Subaru made to the WRX in '06. That said, I can't help but wonder if Subaru made one small step backwards. When the WRX first came out much was made of the 113.5 HP per litre out-put that satisfied the notion that real performance motors are capable of at least 100 HP per litre. Seeing how Subaru already has a 250 HP version of this motor in their stable, and that the rest of the market has dramatically raised their HP ratings why not keep that criterion afloat and use the 250 HP engine. I seriously doubt that using this motor would really steal sales from the larger Legacy. I can't help but feel the Legacy appeals to a different market share. Perhaps in '07 we can see this upgrade. A front LSD and a 6 speed gear box would be nice too. An STI wagon would really be the ticket!
    We're talking about stated output, dyno charts have shown Subaru has sand-bagged a bit in the past. The supposedly 210hp version of that engine actually made more HP on the dyno than the 227hp 2.0l did.

A lot of it is just marketing.

I can't wait until Subaru uses the new SAE methods, which will hopefully be more accurate.

-juice
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As part of our forums reorganiazation, we're closing the general, everything in one pile discussions like this one and breaking out smaller discussions that deal with various aspects of the ownership and upkeep of the Impreza.

Here in the Subaru Impreza Group you will now find discussions such as:

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!
    Subaru Impreza Test Drive - What Did You Think?
    Subaru Impreza Real World MPG Numbers
    How Much Can My WRX Wagon Carry?
    Subaru Impreza Accesories & Modifications
    Changes You'd Like To See in the Subaru Impreza
    to mention a few.

You will also now notice the Subaru Impreza Maintenance & Repair Folder which you can find above the list of discussions on the main group page. In that folder you will find the "problems" discussions set up to cover the major areas where you may have a question or problem, such as:
    Subaru Impreza Engine Issues
    Subaru Impreza Brake Questions
    Subaru Impreza Tire/Wheel Questions

When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list for the appropriate place for your comment or question. If you have a question or issue that doesn't yet have a discussion set up for it, please use the Add A Discussion link to create a new one. This is especially true of comparison discussions. Rather than try to set up all the possible combinations of vehciles you may be shopping beforehand, these will come up as users create them for vehicles they are comparison shopping.

There will be a bit of dust until we get things moved around, but we're getting there.

Thanks for your help in making this group a great source of information on the Impreza.
This discussion has been closed.