Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone had a problem with the exterior silver discoloring? Specifically the panels between the drivers front door window and rear door window?
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    I have titanium metallic, and have not noticed any discoloration.

and I don't even wax the sucker much.... :)
  • doneby2010doneby2010 Member Posts: 27
    I've been looking at Cay S and X5 4.4 and most likely pick one of the two. Since you've owned both can you share any details. Did you own the X5 3.0 or X5 4.4? How do you compare the equally equipped Cay S and X5?

Thanks in advance.
    I owned a 2003 BMW X5 Black Sapphire/Black 3.0 with premium package, zeons, CD changer, climate package,auto dimming mirrors, extra wood kit.
    I traded it in on a 2004 Cayenne S Black/Black, nav, cd changer, wood interior including the steering wheel, zeons, shades, electric comfort pkg/comfort seats, conv. pkg, 18" turbo wheels /goldcrests, compass, heated seats, park assist.
    Last year when I bought the BMW I wanted to get the Cayenne but there was no black/black, my preferred color in the entire state in any configuration. Plus the prices were 5K over sticker etc. I had just moved from the west coast back to the east coast so I decided to get the BMW because it was my second choice and they had just got a black/ black in. It was a 3.0 without the sport package. Everytime I took out a 3.0 or 4.4 they always had a sport package and I really detested the ride. It was always very harsh. All my vehicles prior had been luxury performance cars, MBZ etc. and I wanted the versatility of an SUV but only if I could get a modicum , well really a heavy dose of luxury with it. Also I thought the black headliner on the sport packages was a bit much. Anyway, the dealership where I live ( Hendrick BMW, Porsche, Landrover) was excellent to deal with and I saw that they had gotten a large inventory in and they had a $6,000 off sticker sale on Cayenne S. They were able to give me an even better deal than that and went out and located an S with my exact extras and color that I wanted. It was still at the US port, just arrived, next thing you know we struck an outstanding deal and I got my new Cay S end of May.
    For comparison, there is no comparison IMO. The Cay is far more luxurious, has great toys and is mighty fast. I thought the BMW was good looking, but the CAY is even better looking and gets lots of stares, ask any owner. I will admit that the 3.0 without the sport package rides smoother, but it has no soul compared to the S and the BMW feels like an old model compared to the Cayenne. I'm sure the 4.4 is quick but there is no way it has the guts or the luxury of the Cay. Another thing I noticed is the Cay feels like it is built out of vault like steel whereas the BMW as many of todays cars etc. feel like they are built out of tin. You feel like if you were in an accident with an 18 wheeler, you would be able to walk away. I have not felt like that since my 90's S class. I think the handling is different. The BMW is excellent of course but the Cay is also, just in a different way. Hard to explain but it feels stuck to the pavement, unflappable, confident under all conditions. I also appreciate the roominess of the Cayenne. It is definatly wider and has alot more cargo room to. The BMW seats are easier to put down though, somewhat of a task on the Cay. All in all I guess you have to drive both and choose, but with the sales going on the Cay is priced pretty close to the BMW. Remember, there is only about 3-4K profit in the BMW but there is 7-8K in The Porsche so there is more negotiating room for the dealers. Happy choosing and enjoy!
  • llspepper2llspepper2 Member Posts: 17
    I must say that I'm quite impressed as to the performance of the S. Was driving up to yosemite this weekend with About 30+ minutes up hill in 90+ degree heat without any problems. Handling was outstanding and crusing at 90mph was rather easy. Question though, I have a rattle from the right mirror area and probably is the plastic and the connection I assume. Anyone have the same experience?
    I have a black Cay and the silver pillars between the front side window and the back seat windows are staining just going thru a hand wash. Anyone else have discoloration of the silver trim? The car wash is a high end car wash so I do not think it is the car wash. When I spoke to my dealer they offered to replace them but I was wondering if its just going to happen again, so thats why I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this on their Cayenne. If not then maybe it was stained before I got it or maybe it was not sealed properly at the factory. Any thoughts????
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I have the same problem I just polish them as best as I can. Doubt if replacing them would do anything. However if replacing the silver trim might induce the dealer to relocate the the remote key antenna maybe there could be some benefit here.
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    I was pricing a Cayenne S on Edmunds and according to the final "TVM" price they are going at full retail. This seems contrary to several postings on this message board. What kind of discounts are out there (Southern California). Is the TVM price not up to date?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    TMV isn't a true average (various adjustments get made calculating it), but it is based on real prices people are paying. So some buyers are paying more than TMV and others are paying less.

If you pay TMV you know you aren't getting ripped off, but an educated shopper can often beat TMV.

Learn More About TMV®

Edmunds.com's TMV: The Magic Number

Steve, Host
    If TMV pricing is at retail and some are paying less then some are paying over retail. That seems surprising since it has been out for quite a while and there has been some resistance with higher gas prices. Does anyone from the Southern California have any real numbers and comments on supply at different dealers?

Thanks
  • alirobalirob Member Posts: 17
    Hard to believe that people are paying the rack rate on 2004 Cayennes so late in the 04 season. My Lapis S was discounted more than 10 percent about 6 weeks ago (in Louisiana). You can easily find the details of the dealer's inventory by going to the Porsche website, Porsche.com. There, look for the link to your dealer of choice and you will find all the cars listed with their optional items. You will probably have to email or call the dealer for his opening price.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good point - I don't recall seeing any posts where people have paid a premium over MSRP to get a Cayenne.

Just goes to show that TMV is more than a simple average of prices reported from the field.

Also goes to show that I need to quit posting after midnight :-)

Steve, Host
    Hi ...

I'm in Northern Calif...where the dotcom bust hit hard, and Cayennes were/are being discounted. I bought mine a year ago April, and before I bought, I went to So Cal to check prices, as normally they are lower than No Cal. Well, Newport Porsche (?) wanted $10000 over MSRP with a 5 month wait. The others were a little better in pricing, but still MSRP plus change.

It is stilll good to buy in No Cal, since prices are rather depressed here, IMO. Just call ahead and use edmunds info to help you negotiate a deal. Then just fly up to pickup ...

BTW, I flew down to So Cal to buy the suburban....it was easy and a great deal.... :)
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

I ordered a new 2005 Cayenne S and got $6000 off of MSRP with some negotiation. Talked to more than one dealer in the Ohio area and had the same results $5000 to $6000 off MSRP for 2004's on the lot. I was having trouble getting exactly what I wanted on mine because I wanted almost $13,000 worth of options, so my dealer said he would discount order a 2005 the same as the offer on the existing 2004's. But I did find that $6000 was the limit, no going beyond. No matter how many options I added to the 2005, no more discount. My order is scheduled for production in September, with October delivery. It was interesting to note that with the options I ordered, the total MSRP only went up by $290 for the 2005. Several of the options I wanted actually went down substantially and offset the price increase on the base and some other options.
    Is Oct. the arrival time for the 2005's or just if you order now? Are there any significant changes for 2005?
    I stopped at my local dealer yesterday and was amazed by all the base(V6)models on the lot with only a few S models and no Turbos. I wonder if they have changed the allocation or if the base models aren't selling well. None of the S's had the air suspension. Is this not a worthwhile option? Has anyone compared the ride/handling with and without air suspension?

Thanks
    The dealer said that I had to order by June 25th to get a September build date which translates into the October delivery here in the USA. July he said will end the 2004 production. August will be the first month of 2005's. I ordered almost $13,000 worth of options and still did not buy the air suspension. I like the ride and handling of the standard enough not to opt for the extra $3200 cost and the extra mechanical equipment that may need tending at $105 per hour shop time. Others I talked to say the air suspension is a must? I just did not see it when I drove the two. Of course I like a firm ride anyway, I have had several Toyota Land Cruisers. I think you need to drive both and decide as a matter of personal preference.
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    jfk: what have you done about hauling your mtn bike? Is a hitch still an option? Did you get a roof rack? I am still looking to get a hitch but would like a cheaper option than the $1400.
    You mentioned that your car was being repaired in the front area...fender etc. I was wondering how the repairs went and if there is any noticeable difference such as fitment...sqeaks...etc. I was hit yesterday by someone completely running a stop sign and my entire front needs to be replaced. Terrible!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Once again, looking at the option list for a Porsche Cayenne reminds me of why I bought an Honda S2000 with no options over a Boxster S with $10k+ in options. And, in the end, it would have taken somebody with a lot better driving skills than me to claim I gave up an ounce of performance for that $28k in savings.

Frankly, I don't know how anyone with the money to buy a Porsche really wants to go through about 100 boxes trying to figure out which options to check. But, obviously, Porsche has it's loyal following in spite of nickle and diming everything but the steering wheel (and even that appears to have some optional choices).

Sorry for venting my frustrations. What I really wanted to do was ask for help. I would like to consider the Cayenne S. What options do other buyers here recommend as "must haves" and "highly desireable"?

P.S. I'm not even the worst offended prospective buyer I know. A couple of years ago, a business associate walked out of a Mercedes dealership when he learned that xenon lights were an option on the E55. He ordered a BMW M5 (with xenons standard) for essentially the same price and took his wife to the BMW performance driving school where they taught her how to drive a stick.
    I know what you mean!!! I just ordered a 2005 S see my previous post. I have to correct it though I ordered $ 15930 worth of options.
    What to order is a hard one. It is so much personal taste, what you want it to look like and how you intend to use it. At first I was irritated with all the options too, however now I look at it a little differently. You can have a car like nobody else has, there are so many combinations you can basically have a custom built car built exactly the way you want and with no items you wish you did not have to pay for. For example I ordered the four tube sport tail pipe. I have yet to see an S or turbo with that option in any inventory in the midwest, and the sport tail pipe is different than the standard turbo four tube pipe. My only advice is dont be in too big a hurry take your time and research the options. Then customize you car exactly the way you want it.
    Good luck!
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Habitat,
    Just to share with you what I went for in my Cay S
    1) PCM - I use navigation a lot so it makes sense for me to have it. Plus it gives a better look to the center concole. Without the PCM, it looks too empty
    2) Xenon - First time I got Xenon on a car was on my E class and it was an option that i accepted very reluctantly as the wagon that I wanted (without leather and phone etc..) was only available with Xenon. Once I had it, I do not get a car without them. They make world of a difference in the night time driving.
    3) All seat heating - Kids deserve some comfort too. Worth it.
    4) 4 Zone A/C - Lots of fun for Kids to finger with it. It does add faster impact and individual convinience but in my opinion, not a must have.
    5) Turbo wheels & Porsche color crest centers- very cheap upgrade but worth the looks.
    6) moon roof - I do not know why this is called an option. You cannot get any vehicle on dealer lot without it. no comments on the utility
    7) CD changer - I do not know why the damn CD changer should cost $ 700+. I hate the price though have to have it.

When I bought (July 2003) - there were not many individual options but if could get, I will get the auto dimming mirrors and seat memory. I passed on the air suspension, Steel one is very good and did not want more complexity to already very complex though capable vehicle. No further upgrades to the interior. Standard look is very classy.

Hope this helps..
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,410
    A Cayenne S? After every car you own is a stick! I'm suprised you're not holding out for a V6 6-Speed:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'll be using your input to assist me pre-price and spec something so I don't look like a deer in the headlights when I visit the Porsche delaership.

nccarguy: I will give some consideration to a V6 6-speed. I may not have the athletic ability of Cal Ripkin, but I'd like to keep my "streak" of manual transmissions alive, if possible. At least as long as my knees hold out. :-)
    Must haves IMO are the wood package with wood steering wheel, (really dresses up the interior and wood wheel feels great!) Moonroof, shades, CD changer, electric comfort package, xeons, and turbo wheels with gold crests. I have the PCM and agree that it makes the interior look better and I do use it and the other features it has, if I was scrimping say to get the S over the 6 cylinder I could live without it. The above options are about $5,800 which would put the list price at just over $60,000. But there is about 7-8K profit in the car so a good deal can be had.
  • dubsterdubster Member Posts: 45
    I like the wood package also. It really accents the high quality but monotonous feel of the black leather interior.

You`ve got to love the air suspension. The comfort mode is great over potholes and other road junk. The sport mode is great when you really drive hard. Normal setting is probably similar to the springs . The clincher for me was the compressor connect under the passenger seat which allows you to fill your tires - or bike tires - using the supplied hose and gauge hidden under the rear seat. Gas is expensive enough, a little free air is a nice thing!
    darn !!! what is it with these clueless drivers ?!!

sorry to hear about your accident, pepper. Hope no one's hurt.
    though I know you are hurting inside from having your pride and joy hit.... :(

Got My cay is back.....but they left out alignment and had a speck of non painted area, so it went back into the shop. I am supposed to pick it up today. NO sqeaks and noises. My insurance company sent me to 2 places, but the dealer service manager sent me to this place that only does lux cars....and they did a fairly good job. I would say to ask your dealer about where they send their body work , and ask if they guarantee the work for as long as you own the car. That seems to be the standard now.
  • jfk663jfk663 Member Posts: 18
    knockoff,

I bought the Porsche rack system, I am going to use those along with the Thule Playpen Basket. The rack cost $600.00, and the Thule Basket with attachments will probably come up to another $400.00-500.00. I will still be able to mount a bike within the Basket or use the Basket for luggage and put the bike inside. I also purchased a spare tire, as you know, these are rather large tires, so when I get the racks installed, I will see if I can get the spare up there or just leave it in the back. I don't want to get caught up in mountains w/o a spare, the can of Fix-A-Flat just won't get the job done. I think the rack gives you more options unless your going to be towing a boat or trailer. My only other thought is this, if you ride alot, a rear bike back is better, it keeps you away from the vehicle, less chance of scratching our spicy little Cay.
    Has anyone had any problems with noises from the steering wheel column? I have a low pitched noise when I turn my wheel back & forth. I had the dealer look at it once, they returned it telling me that it was fixed, NOT. I returned it today, and the service manager tells me that is is a normal sound not only from the Cayenne, but all Porsches. They gave me a rental Cayenne, guess what, no noise, any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I told the service manager that I was going to ask hundreds of Cayenne owners, he rolled his eyes as to say good luck.

Please don't tell me It's one of those little things I must put up with to own a Porsche.
    Had my Cay S since end of May 04 and no steering wheel noise, tell the service guy you want it looked into and fixed!
    Trust me I did....................I'm not going to fall for that "All Cayennes make that noise" BS. I'm sure there getting a little tired of me, but I don't care, we pay this much for a SUV and a Porsche at that, and were supposed to live with it. I don't think so. Thanks for the reply.
    another good point of having the bikes in the rear is decreased wind resistance and thus a better fuel economy....which may be significant if one drives with the rack on top all the time....

have fun... ! :)
    like all options, it may depend on your own needs and wants....

I like the air suspension, cause it gives you the control over the dampening....though it is firm even in the comfort mode. It is noticeable, and a plus if you have passengers , who may care about the ride more than the handling . that said, I think the regular suspension is very good, for my wife and I , at least. Then there was a lady who bought a S with no air suspension and did not know that this was basically a sports car. She expected a soft cushy ride, and was disappointed.....

I did not get the hands free keyless entry, which I think would be useful and convenient if you carry lots of stuff to the car. I open the doors the old fasioned way...with the remote.(OK, so I don't use the key ....but most cars in this category all have remotes to unlock doors.

I think a darker carpet would be easier to keep looking like new. I have the beige, which gets dirty really quick. Problem for me is that I think black gets hot really fast and keeps cabin really hot. I think dark grey would be best.

I like the PCM / Nav... DId not fail me yet.

I agree, most german cars have loads of options and addons that jack up the price..... :(

but I still like thier cars....
    wheel no noise for my cay either. I have had it since April of 2003.
  • usc5terusc5ter Member Posts: 10
    Last week, my mother borrowed my Cayenne S for a sec to go buy something. On her way back she decided to fill it back up with gas, however, she accidentally put DIESEL fuel in it. To my surprise the tank opening actually fits the nozzle of a diesel fuel dispenser, Why, I don't know. I had to tow my car to porsche that day. After speaking to the service guy he told me that they were out of loaners so he gave me a Nissan Altima and after a week of waiting they delivered my car back to me dirty as hell, an empty gas tank and a $450 bill. There were no damages to any of the internal parts and the bill was just for pumping out the diesel fuel which they didn't give back to me either (not that I cared so much). You would think after paying, waiting, and expecting so much they would at least put fuel back in it and hand it back to me clean and washed. To top all of this, the Service agent even had the audacity to walk up to me and outright ask/tell me to give him a good rating when corporate survey team calls. Yeah sure buddy, I can't wait till they call.

I had a clk prior to this car and MB service was always impeccable. I remember once they ran out of loaners and they apologized to no end and got me a lexus rent a car. Anyhow, I love this car and I love porsche in general. I am just disappointed and trying to vent.
    I have to agree, I picked up my Cayenne S today, it was in for the second time do to noises in the steering wheel column. I drove it down the block and then right back to the dealer, the problem was still there. The guy I bought my Cay from was in, so I expressed my dissatisfaction the service dept., he kind of rolled his shoulders and didn't even offer to assist in any way. I can not believe the service rep. can call me and tell me that the problem is fixed when it is SO OBVIOUS that is was not. I am at the end of my patience with this dealer, when you get the feeling that your being a problem to them instead of a CUSTOMER who paid over 60k for a car, it's time for me to find another dealer or get on the phone to Porsche America. Any suggestions were to call or write?
    your experiences are quite common with Porsche dealerships.

I already knew that, so when I bought the car from them, I told them that I expected sterling service....and a wash and clean.

They did do the wash and clean, but not to the level I expect of a Porsche... :( The interior was still dirty, but all service was done .

I think you should write to both dealership and PoA..... I would....

good luck.....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You would think after paying, waiting, and expecting so much they would at least put fuel back in it ...

They obviously put some fuel into the tank if you were able to drive it off. I think it's a bit of a stretch to expect them to fill your gas tank. It would be nice if they had but to expect it? I don't think so!

tidester, host
    Were you able to establish and get compensated for diminshed value due to the accident. Obviously most buyers would prefer all things being equal a car with any accidents and if so would expect a very substantial discount.

Take care
  • carnut36carnut36 Member Posts: 27
    I bet if they filled up the tank for you, they would've charged you double the price.

Did the service advisor tell you what would happen if you drove it with the diesel fuel? Would it damage your catalytic converter or engine?
    HI: No..I did not sue for loss of title value, even though I have the right to . I figure I like the car a lot that I may have it for a few years. Perhaps if I were going to sell it immediately it would be an issue.

I hope all goes smoothly with your case, and keep on enjoying ... :)

:)
    hmmm, tidester, According to the Cayenne's computer I had 15 miles left to drive. When the car was delivered to them it had a full tank and it was about 80% diesel (bc of the fill up). They gave that thing back to me with enough gas to make it to the nearest gas station. Its also a double whammy since I didn't get reimbursed for the diesel fuel they pumped out. Anyway, I don't wanna sound cheap and argue over nickel and dime, however, I was used to getting pampered and now this .....

carnut36 : I bet youre right, if they had filled it up I would have been charged double. The adviser said that since my car didn't run (less then 2 min) after the fill up, the diesel didn't damage any systems, but I am not sure about specidifc parts. He told me they ran gas through the system and made sure everything was fine. However, this reminds of something else: When I was picking up my car he warned me that my car will have this funny burn off smell which is ok and it will last only for about 30 to 40 miles until everything (I guess any remaining diesel fuel) burns through. But at the same time he told me that they ran gas and other liquids through my car to make sure everything is clean and fine. I just don't know and I don't trust them.
    Its also a double whammy since I didn't get reimbursed for the diesel fuel they pumped out.

Why would they reimburse you for something that is of no use to them and they cannot resell? Their role was simply to fix a problem you created.

It's great that you've been pampered in the past but I think it's unreasonable to criticize them for not digging into their wallets and buying you a tankful of gasoline.

tidester, host
    I have to agree with Tidester. I think you should be relieved that the Cayenne did not suffer serious and ongoing problems from the fuel mistake. I would tell them next time you go in for service that you would appreciate a complimentary hand wash whenever you bring in your car for service. My Porsche dealer always does that and I got a complimentary Porsche loaner as well. By the way I've had a few MBZ and BMW'S and the hand wash from my Porsche dealer was probably the best I have received from a dealership.
    I think I have every right to criticize them since I have paid for a service and based on past experiences I expect a certain level of hospitality and professionalism that should be provided by such brand names as Porsche. I am criticsing them fairly and within the scope of the topic. They over charged me, threw away something that I had bought( I don't care if they had no use for it), Didn't provide me with an adequate loaner car, and please don't argue "They didn't have to even give me a loaner", and gave my car back to me dirty and empty in gas.

If I had gone to Joe Schmoe's Service shop in down town LA I wouldn't complain/criticize since I wouldn't expect much. Furthermore, please don't just focus on one aspect of my argument and just pick on that. I wouldn't mention the gas if other things had been attended to.
    I think I have every right to criticize...

Your right to criticize is not being questioned and you're entitled to your opinion.

tidester, host
    on this issue I have to agree with tides....

although I agree with you on the relatively poor service attitudes of Porsche dealerships in general, I think to the Porsche mechanic, it was a problem to be fixed, not a resource to be saved. The diesel could not be resold, nor reused, since it was contaminated. Since it was your error (your family members), then it would not be covered under the warranty. Just like if they had poured sugar down the fuel tank. They would have charged you to rebuild the engine ($10,000 ?) and not reimbursed you for the sugar.

I suggest , swallow a gulp of air, give grace and thanks that the engine was not destroyed, then get your pen, and write a letter to Porsche of America, and inform them of the geneeral poor service. However, I believe I would leave out the diesel/gas incident....

:)
    Yes the service does suck and just because we are accustomed to certain things doesn't mean we should "expect" them (When I bought my car the dealer did fully fill it up). Nevertheless, my original purpose was to complain about their service, and the whole gas thing was just a part of myriad of things that they lacked, and I am surprised you guys are concentrating on whether I have the right to expect a full tank or not.
    OK....I understand your feeling....and you do have some points..

perhaps if they added a gallon or 2 .... ? Just to maintain that sterling service reputation , would not be too much nor too expensive..... :)
  • hotsillihotsilli Member Posts: 3
    My 19s PZero are worn in the front. car was aligned @2,500 miles. Now @6,300 miles has steering wheel vibration. Master Tech confirm the vibartion @75MPH. Porsche will not pay for balancing...past the 90 day deadline. Service advisor was nice enough and did it for free. Balancing requires 140 Grams therefore tires must be replaced. Porsche WON'T PAY for the tires...they say it Perelli's issue. It will take a week or so to get the tires. I was told the car is safe to drive. I will take pictures of the tires and post it here. Tell me what you guys think.
  • steebiesteebie Member Posts: 8
    I suggest pushing your point with dealer. My 20's on my '04 Turbo were Continentals and they vibrated at 65 and above. Returned, rebalanced but no improvement. Dealer replaced the Conti's and same problem. Dealer determined that both sets were defective, and Porsche authorized another set, but not conti's, they approved Michelin Diamaris tires. Once mounted, no vibration problems. I've heard the same conti problems were also at issue with the Pirelli's.

Regards