Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Rather than YOU worrying about getting a full tank of gas after your diesel incident, I would be very concerned that they took care of the problem appropriately.

Every so often, "Click and Clack" get a similar incident whereby diesel is put into a gas vehicle. The recommendation: do NOT turn the engine on; have the car towed to the dealership, have the fuel tank completely removed, drained, steam cleaned with a diesel dissolving solution. Check fuel lines for any evidence and clean. Only then, re-attach gas tank and run gas through the system to check for any problems.

A friend accidently filled her daughter's Acura with diesel a year ago (she owns a E300TD, and just did it by habit). The total charge by the Acura dealership for the above process was $350, so not a boatload less than you were charged by snooty Porsche. However, they did follow each of the above steps and made sure there wasn't diesel residual when they reattached the gas tank.

As far as the diesel reimbursement or gas replacement, you probably should have been charged an environmental fee for their disposing of the contaminated diesel fuel. So focus on the real issue of whether or not they did the job right. If they simply sucked the diesel out of your tank while it was attached to the vehicle and then asked you to hold your nose while the residual burned off, you have a legitimate complaint (and potentially some premature fuel system probems to deal with down the road). That's what the intelligent owner would be concerned about, not whether they lost $30 worth of fuel on a $60,000 vehicle.
  • bkosaianbkosaian Member Posts: 4
    Great info on board!! I am about to purchase a new cayenne and have a few questions. With so many options to choose from and not being able to wait for one to be built I am having a hard time finding my exact car. I just recently found one close but no nav or trailer hitch. Does anyone know if the dealer can add nav? Also can you add a trailer hitch? Is the rear valance modified on vehicles with factory trailer hitch installation ? Any help would be appreciated.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    HI,
    Trailer hitch can be added at over twice the price which varies by dealer, but typically $ 1300 to $1400 as compared to factory price of $ 590. Yes the lower bumper apron is modified on the factory installed hitch. I dont think the navigation can be added and if you could you would most likely have to pay way to much to consider it. The situation with all aftermarket items at the porsche dealer is their high shop rate at between $ 90 to $ 120 per hour. I suppose the nav system could cost $ 6000 or more if a dealer was even able to install. I know installing one would mean the dash would more than likely have to be removed. I wanted navigation on mine too and and found cars that were perfect without it, but they never even suggested installing the navigation. Another option I wanted was the 6-cd changer and they said they would install it but the cost would be $1100 or $1200 versus the factory installed price of $650 on a new 2005. I also wanted the sport tail pipe option which is $1290 factory instaled and again the installation by a dealer was going to cost roughly double, for just a 2 flute adder to the exhaust outlets. Good luck!
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    Are you working with your dealer to locate one? Or just checking their inventory. I could not find the options/color combo i wanted by looking around so I went to my local Porsche dealer and instead of settling he searched the entire Eastern Seaboard Inventory and the inventory at US ports and Inventory on the way over. I had about 15 different ones to chose from that met my criteria and ended up getting one that had just arrived and was sitting at a US port bound for Mississippi. My dealer(in Charlotte, NC)snagged it and had it shipped here, and I got just what I wanted and at over $6K off sticker. Black/black, Nav, CD changer, wood interior, wood steering wheel, xenons, electric comfort pkg/comfort seats, compass,window screens, 18" turbo wheels with gold badge, park assist,moonroof, heated seats, driver memory, mats
  • dubsterdubster Member Posts: 45
    I had the same experience. It took some time but if you extend your search you should come up close. If you`re looking for air suspension it will make the job tougher. Much smaller % ordered by dealers that way. Good luck!
    Yes I am working with dealer. Thanks for comments on trailer hitch and nav. Will tell the dealer to look further as he only checked OH, IN, IL. (I live in MI) Thanks again and I am sure ill be back with more questions.
  • usc5terusc5ter Member Posts: 10
    habitat1, I have said this before and I will say it again the gas thing was just a PART of my complaint, my major gripes, were lack of loaner car, service quality and the high charge. Here is a quote from my last post:

"Nevertheless, my original purpose was to complain about their service, and the whole gas thing was just a part of myriad of things that they lacked, and I am surprised you guys are concentrating on whether I have the right to expect a full tank or not. "

Furthermore, I don't buy expensive cars, I lease them. This car is a lease and I do intend to give it back (or sell it). I know they did a sub par job and charged too much for it, and trust me when I say I wrote to POA and filled out the service quality survey.

The car is running fine and any work done by porsche is guaranteed so if a related problem does arise they will fix it. Anyway, I am starting to wish I had never said the gas thing, it seems to be all everyone really cares about (except a few).
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    I have an 04 Cay Turbo w/19" tires.
    Guess what I discovered. At 15K+ miles, they are worn down. Apparently, this is only half of my problems. I can live with the performance tires balding at 15K. My front tires I believe are out of alignment and thus balding a couple of Ks too early. Once I replace the tires, I'll review the vibration issues that Hotsili and Steebie were discussing earlier.

So, I called my Porsche Dealer and asked for pricing. He told me $290 each. I thought it was a bit high so I called America's Tire. They checked and stated that Conti Sportcontact 4x4 can only be sold by Porcshe dealerships(1st Red flag). I called Porsche dealer and they said it'll take 5 days to get because they don't stock it (2nd Red flag). It's special order (3rd Red flag). This Porsche dealership is one of the larger if not largest Porsche dealership in Northern CA. I would venture to guess that the Silicon Valley is the largest Porsche market in the US.

Now, let's take a look at the implication of some idiot making this decision at Porsche. SUVs are recreational vehicles and people tend to drive far in them like for a vacation. So, imagine if you're on a two or four or six hour trip and you have a flat tire that can't be repaired. Ok, then you replace it with your "blow up" spare which can take you for about 100 miles. Drive or get towed to your nearest Porsche dealership? But most likely, they won't have the tires stocked (see red flag above) so you're SOL. Most Cay I see on the road and being sold do not have the "full size tire in the back mounted option". Can you wait 5 days for a special order? What about a tire shop? Well, they don't carry them because the can't sell it. It's too exclusive. Do others see this as a problem like I do? Are 19" Conti's that rare? Are we put at risk of not being able to buy the tires from whoever like getting gas?

BTW, I restate again. This is a fun car to drive.
  • carnut36carnut36 Member Posts: 27
    Your alternative is ordering them online from Tirerack.com but it looks like they're on backorder too. They do have Pirelli tires in stock but I don't know how they perform compared to the Contis.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    on ebay...for about $287 for all 4, slightly used, cause the owner upgraded .

I also got a set of 20 " antera rim + wheels on ebay.

and I got AAA Extended tow service....

But sounds like joemillionaire has a point. And I see a lot of cay owners complain about premature tire wear. But even more to the point is the lack of tire stock. The car is just too new...and requires a tire that must resist allthe weight as well as the high speed ...something not commonly seen in autos.

....is that not covered by the tire maker ? I am going to bring the cay in for alignment and tire rotation in August.
  • sinkssinks Member Posts: 1
    After six months of trying to convince the dealership of the problem of the remotes working part time, they have agreed to replace. Supposely PCNA is redesigning a new remote that should be available this month. Will advise if and when the new remotes arrive and if they solve some of the remote problems. PCNA is reluctant to admit problems with the remotes and I would suggest you hound the dealer until he responds to the complaint.
  • hotsillihotsilli Member Posts: 3
    Got my Cay back after 2 days in the shop. Very happy with the service – they gave me a loaner ML, fixed the vibration @ 75MPH and replaced my 2 front worn tires under warranty. Not sure who coved the tires Pirelli or Porsche…my guess is Pirelli. I think worn out tire, out of alignment and out of balance tires are only the symptoms of a much bigger problem. PCNA needs to find and fix the root cause otherwise, will be changing tires 2 times a year.

PCNA THIS IS NOT NORMAL.

joemillionaire, I got mine serviced at Fremont. I suggest you see them before you buy new tires.
  • imegaryimegary Member Posts: 6
    I have new remotes for about six weeks and they have improved range 5X. I was told all Cayennes
    with build date 10/04 on have these remotes.

The range from rear is best.
    hotsili/highender,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfornately, I already ordered the tires and I can't cancel it per the Parts guy. It's like they couldn't resell it or something which is odd since Porsche dealership are the only people who can sell Contis.

I'll try Fremont next time. Hopefully, I can get better service and knowledgeable people.
    thanks also....

I'll go to Oakland first, and if they can't /won't do it, then I will go to Fremont....

I have worn tires on the front too, but they are not too bad....

I'll also try to get the remotes also...
  • arielthecatarielthecat Member Posts: 10
    I thought I would take the time to post a few thoughts here, since I have read most of the posts on this forum.

I am getting ready to buy a 2004 Cayenne S, tomorrow. I currently have a 2004 RX-330, but after my wife got a BMW 530i and I drove it for a week, I simply could not go back to driving "a soccer's mom's car" (no offense to those who are female or like Lexus--it is a great auto, but it simply is not a Porsche).

Anyway, I did the classic "play one dealer off another" and got some very good results! The first dealer, I test drove Cay S and pretty much told him that I have been in sales for 20 years (software) and that I would drive a hard bargain. He told me that there was 12% margin in the car and that he would sell a car that had a MSRP of $60,400 for $54,900. I told him that I would think about it and call him back. When I spoke to him 3 days later, he asked me how serious I was and told him "very" and said if I buy that car by the end of the month (7/31), he would take another grand off to $53,900. I told him that I wanted the roof rack thrown in ($450) option. He said that he would have to check with his manager.

In the meantime, I drove over to the other dealership in town and drove the Cay S and told him that I was talking to the other dealer in town. This salesman told me that the margin was 12.4% (slightly different from the first guy) and that he would NOT sell the car at invoice or below. I got him to agree to sell me ANY Cayenne S that he has in inventory with any combination of options for 11% off MSRP. The best that I have seen from the posts here are: 10.81% off MSRP or $1,350 (or so) over invoice. Tonight, I am headed over there to pick out my Cayenne. Not sure how the final numbers will work out, but I will inform everyone here. This dealer is also going to give $32K on my Lexus in trade. I know that I could do better selling it on my own, but time is money and I don't have the time to got through that effort.

Edmunds.com has been a good place to share info and quite frankly, I would not have bought the Cayenne S(or even test drove it, for that matter), if it was not for everyone's input here. I am a good negotiator, however, I am sure that someone out there has even done even better than this. None the less, with the '05 coming soon and with summer typically being a bit slower for auto sales, you can drive (pun intended) a good deal

I will be back after I close the deal. I am pumped about the car!
    WTG! I think you did real well and will love the CAY S! After 3 months now, I loved it when I got it and enjoy it more every day.
    Congrats!!!
    Where are you located (northern Virginia??) and what dealers do you recommend? Thanks.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

Online tire rack says they are available from them for $177 each. Shipping to me here in Ohio is $42 for a set of 4 tires.

http://www.tirerack.com
  • huskerfever1huskerfever1 Member Posts: 2
    I pulled the trigger today. I worked the dealerships in Omaha, kansas City and minneapolis off against each other and ended up with exactly the options I wanted for $63765, or 8k off MSRP!!!!!

I can't wait to take delivery. The sales must have slowed this summer, because the dealers are hungry!
  • cploycploy Member Posts: 4
    After long struggle between Touareg V8 vs. Cayenne V6 (they are almost the same price), I finally settled w/Cay. My wife is a very price/value-minded person. To my surprise, she said "I don't want that VW sitting in my garage. It is just not a Porsche." I got my Cay V6 w/Navi; Bi-Xenon; etc. for $6K off MSRP from an Ohio dealer. I am happy that I picked Cay. This is my first Porsche. People were looking at our Cay parked at the local strip mall but not the Touareg. Now I proud to say I am the owner of that Porsche (not the VW). :-)
    Congrats. Mind sharing which Ohio dealer? I just bought an Acura TL from a Mercedes/Acura dealer in Erie, PA, so I'm not afraid to travel for a good deal.
  • cploycploy Member Posts: 4
    I am glad to share the Porsche dealer info: www.magcars.com. My Cay will be titled in Maryland. This is my second cross-state-line auto purchase. Here is my experience with this dealer. No high pressure; very knowledgable; no haggle on price; share all internet and dealer invoice info; very professional. Their service is top notch too. It was unbelievable. It took them 3 hrs to clean and to wax the Cay. I was at their service area the entire time watching them. The SUV is shining like a crystal. I am very satisfied.
  • sharkalasharkala Member Posts: 48
    I have a beautiful lapis blue Cayenne that I absolutely adore. But, when it rains the windshield and windows fog up terribly, inside and out. I keep using the wipers and put the a/c, defog and defrost on.The air comes out of the vents at burning hot temps. The front windshield seems to keep humidity glued to it. I am pretty sure this is not normal for a car. Anybody out there with any suggestions. Thanks.
  • hankypankyhankypanky Member Posts: 6
    I am in the market for a Cayenne ( or BMW X5 need to decide). I know you can get a good deal on 2004. But because of various problems reported, I am thinking about waiting to get the 2005. Are there any major differences and also is the 2005 pricing out. What type of discount can be expected on a 2005 Cayenne or Cayenne S.

P.S. I am not in a hurry since my current lease expires in October.
  • arielthecatarielthecat Member Posts: 10
    Believe it or not, I am still working on this deal. When I got to the dealer on Friday, he did not have a car which had the options that I wanted. However, the salesman is doing a great job to win my business and is now looking for the right car at several other dealers in the southeast (he is going to swap cars, to get me the right one). I have never heard of anyone doing that before, but I have to say that I am impressed.

I also believe (as a person just posted recently), that going out of state, to check prices it a very good way of getting the discount you want. It takes a little more time, but it is worth it in the end. I bought my wife's BMW 530i, site unseen from a dealer out of state and got a price that was $4-5K less than any of the 4 dealers (authorized) and 3 after-market (used) BMW dealers which are in Atlanta. When we took the BMW to the dealer to get a small warranty item fixed, I walked over to the sales manager and told him what he paid and he called me a liar! I couldn't believe it! So, I showed him the paperwork (I happen to have it with me) and walked away quietly knowing that dealers will be happy to take your money anytime, because a lot of them think that people who drive Porsche's or BMW's have plenty of money (to give to them).

I will be back after I get the car!
    Hotsili, I got my four 19" Conti replaced today and they drive great. No vibration whatsoever at 75mph but I'll see as time goes on if the steering wheel vibrate.
  • hankypankyhankypanky Member Posts: 6
    I am replying to my own post, I found out from a local dealer in Chicago area, that 2005's are arriving in last week of August. Also If I ordered a custom one, I can get it in about four to six weeks. Cayenne plant is producing below capacity because of slow demand.

So I am going to wait another few weeks before venturing out again.

I came across this article on CNN:

Cars: Bargains are on the way

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/28/pf/autos/august_deals/index.htm
  • viggieviggie Member Posts: 16
    Have been looking at this forum for the past year so we can decide about the type of SUV we wanted. We have test driven the Cayenne S and turbo and decided (husband of course) to get a turbo. Anybody has any experience leasing a Cayenne Turbo? Much help appreciated. How to get good info about leasing, since we never leased a car before and do not want to be misslead by the dealer. Also how do you find residual value % and money factor on a 2005. We are planning to to 13,000 to 15,000 miles/year and leasing for 3 - 4 years. We live in MA. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a link to our Leasing Tips page. The Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion is a good read too.

Steve, Host
  • loumloum Member Posts: 7
    You got a great price.
    However there is a dealer in Massachusetts that offers me the car at invoice! About 12% discount with whatever options I desire. It might help that I just bought an Audi Allraod from the same dealer for my wife a month ago.
  • llspepper2llspepper2 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone hear that the 06' cays will have more hp?
    Dear Loum,

Would you mind sharing your dealer in MA. We are about a week or so to negociate a lease on a 2005 Cayenne Turbo.

Thanks
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    You need to turn the temperature up a few degrees, you are fighting the dew point inside the car and it will result in condesation at the lower part of the windscreen. Turn up to 74 degrees and it will go away.
  • loumloum Member Posts: 7
    The principle is that you should never buy a car more than $1000 over invoice. On a Cayenne S with MSRP of about $59K you should be able to get $7K off (12%)which is very close to invoice. Chambers in Boston, IRA in Peabody or Pass & Weiss in Burlington will do the deal for you. Good luck!
  • ca_manca_man Member Posts: 23
    Hi,
    I live in the SF Bay Area, and I'd like to buy an outgoing 04 Cayenne.
    I have quotes from Rector, Carlsen, and Sonnen, at this point. They all seem to be discounting the Cay V6 by $5000, on average off MSRP, is this a fair price ?
    Stevens Creek Porsche is discounting some of their Cayenne S models by $10,000.
    Any recommendations on people and/or dealers you have had a good experience with ?
    Thanks in advance !
    Thanks for the great info,

I am interested in buying a V6 Cayenne. I have found (2) cars that interest me out of state. Initial phone calls to the dealers state that they will not take less than 2-3K off vehicle. Does anyone know if it would be better to go to local dealer and tell them I want a vehicle from out of state dealer and let them dealer trade for it? Any comments would be helpful.
    Thank You
  • designodesigno Member Posts: 14
    Well, it's been about 6 months since our Cayenne V6. Surprisingly, almost no problems so far, except for one little, ANNOYING one:

-The Clock. This amazes me. Considering it's installed by Porsche, and digital, this thing is off by 25-45 min, whenever it feels like it. And, both the gauge and the lower temp. area clock have the same, off time. The dealer has fixed this twice, and cannot seem to find the cure. Anyone else have this problem??????

-And, Brake Dust. i have the 18" Turbo wheels on mine, and the wheels get so dirty after a couple of miles! I am not kidding, I don't even bother cleaning them anymore, just when I have time, because there is almost no point.

Performance is ok. Now, after getting the Cay V6, sort of regret not opting for the V8, as you can get HUGE discounts on them. I could have gotten a V8 Cayenne with similar options for roughly the same price I paid for my Cayenne. Well, it's not leased, maybe in a year or so... a new Cayenne S? (heeheehee)

I don't understand why people continually say (maybe sour grapes, drivers who don't own one?) the Cayenne looks HORRIBLE, and in desperate need for a refresh. I think this is the sharpest SUV on the planet, save maybe the Range Rover. I get sooooooo many looks on the road, parked in the parking lot, or being washed on the drive way.

I think I read somewhere in a magazine (Automobile????) that in 05, there will be some options upgrade, in 06/07 the Cayenne V6 will have something like a 3.7 litre V6 @ 275hp, and the V8 will get hp increase. turbo I think increased almost to 500hp????

sorry, I was ready quickly at Ralphs. but will a bump in hp from 249 to 275 make that much of a difference in performance?
    you could try the Oakland dealership...its on Broadway . they made a good deal for me at the time when the cayenne just came out...better than any of the others that you mentioned.

There was a recent change of ownership, and the new owner is also the owner of British Motors of SF.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Folks.. check out the Motor trend site for their article on Cay vs. BMW vs Cad SRX vs. FX 45... Cay S wins hands down...
  • carkookcarkook Member Posts: 4
    I live in Southern California and will be buying the Cayenne S shortly, does anyone have any buying experiences with discounts off MSRP here?

I visited Newport Auto Center and the salesman said what do you think is fair? I had no idea, since edmunds doesn't list invoice pricing...any help?
    Hi....I checked Newport Porsche also last year when I was shopping, and they wanted $10,000 OVER MSRP for the cayenne. I guess times have changed, and they are more realistic now....

Some here have said that they easily got $6000 under MSRP, and some even said near invoice....you might want to search for key words MSRP or invoice in this thread , to find out more.
    Good luck....!
    You may want to check out www.carprices.com for MSRP/invoice price.
  • andcw1andcw1 Member Posts: 1
    I will be taking my Cayenne S to Colorado for a couple of weeks in ski season and am considering the purchase of all terrain tires not only for winter weather but for a softer ride on the rough asphalt roads which are common on our city streets. Has anyone had expeience switching to all terrain tires for city use and do they significantly soften the ride and feel of the car? Also, what are the best all terrain tires for the vehicle and what size?
    Hi...i have the continental contis 255-18s on the cayenne...but just bought antera rims with falken tires, 275-40-20s on.

I think all terrain tires may be noisier on freeway , but may provide a softer ride..

I heard TOYO proxes were really good all around mud and snow tires, rated A for both traction and temperature, and a good bet for SUVs. however, I have not tried them on the cayenne yet.

You can always let out a few pounds of air, but it will affect your handling and possibly the safety of your vehicle.

good luck
  • carnut36carnut36 Member Posts: 27
    If you're able to get $1000-2000 over invoice, you're doing pretty good. McKenna in Norwalk was pretty reasonable. You may want to do some research on the Porsche website, it gives you the current inventory with colors and options for each of the dealers. Some have the MSRP listed and, if not, you can figure it out from this site. My guess is if the dealer has a high inventory and it's the end of the month, they're more willing to deal.
  • modelamodela Member Posts: 5
    Just finished an 8 day tour from Long Island to Bar Harbor, Maine, Acadia Park and Nova Scotia with our Cayenne S with 10,000 miles. We put on about 1,400 miles in the week and the car was flawless. Our last day was a 500 mile lap from Maine to Long Island - the car was comfortable throughout. Trails in Kujimekejik Park in Nova Scotia were accesible by gravel roads and the car was fine. Car turned heads wherever we went. I saw only 2 other Cayennes on the trip--
  • alan3alan3 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a performance chip that will increase the horsepower of the V6 Cayenne while not voiding the warranty?
    Were your contis the all season tires or the performance contis? I have the performance 18" contis on my Cay and am thinking about putting on the all season contis for winter especially if they give a softer ride. I have also heard that the performance contis are dismal even in light snow. Any thoughts?
    HI jimscays

my conti's were the all season ones that came with the cayenne....they were great for moderate snow...but I would put on chains for heavy snow...needs chains on all 4 tires if you put them on.

I have heard that the performance contis did not perform as well as the all season mud and snow contis, but I personally do not have experience with that yet...even though I have a set of performance bridgestones 18" in my garage. Just mounted the antera rims and Falkens mud and snow tires today.....they are working out well. I put wax on the rims and outer steel lip to protect against brake dust corrosion....and hopefully the dust will rinse right off...

you might want to try tirerack for the tires, or search ebay for tires....I got both sets of my tires on ebay....for a great price... just my thoughts... :)