Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I've read here that McKenna in Norwalk is selling the Cayenne for $1500 over invoice. When I called, they said $3500 over invoice. I found another dealership at $2000 over invoice.

What are some of the other dealerships in LA/Orange County that are willing to go to $1500 or lower over invoice? Please post contact name if available.

Thanks in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please post contact name if available.

Please don't!

You may give the name of a dealership but no contact information is permitted on the boards.

tidester, host
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    mcmuney, I think part of the confusion is that the mark up over invoice is a function of which model CAY ( V6, S, turbo) and which year (yes, there are new '04s to be had). IMHO they would send a cab for you if you called and said you would pay $1500 over invoice for an '04 S in Jarama beige or white. Asking for $1500 over invoice on a V6 in Titanium may be more difficult to pull off.

Where are you located?? East or West Coast?
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I'm on the West Coast. After contacting several dealers, I did find one who was willing to go $1500 over invoice, but he gave me some BS about how sites like enmunds and carsdirect don't include advertising and transportation costs, and was quoting me over $4,000 over invoice (invoice based on carsdirect pricing) claiming that it was $1500.

I'm looking for the V6 Black w/ any interior color. I have until tomorrow to find the right price; otherwise, it's the fully loaded V6 Toureg.
  • ctomctom Member Posts: 11
    if anyone has bought a Cay in Chicago area over the last month can they provide some info on what they paid vs. sticker? Thx.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Don't get bogged down negotiating the line items. If you focus on your out the door price, you're more likely to get a good deal with less hassle.

Steve, Host
    Black is great and the Havana beige interior sets it off nicely. BUT, you should be clear in your mind that the beige won't wear as well if you are going to use the CAY every day with coffee in the holders, overstuffed gymn bag in the back, the last three day's WSJ tossed across the back seat etc as you pull into Home Depot. I have the black interior and immediately put a McNeil rubber liner in the back and mats up front for day to day driving/living.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    agree...

I have the havanna beige interior..and it got dirty mighty quick....

but it was also easy to clean off...just used any carpet cleaner and some paper towels to wipe it clean..... I like the lighter interior due to less heat...but tradeoff is more apparence of dirtiness.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    the lighter the interior the more the interior is reflected in the glass, thus reducing the signal-to-noise ratio of what is going on outside the car (just like the glare on your PC monitor).

P.S. Anyone got an idea of what the center of gravity (CG) is on a V6 Cay? Its gotta be lower than a T-reg, right?, since is got a dry sump thus lower to the ground engine, or does it?
    Anyone got an idea of what the center of gravity (CG) is on a V6 Cay? Its gotta be lower than a T-reg, right?

A combination of factors contribute to a vehicle's rollover resistance such as COG and Electronic Stability Control. The COG must be compared with the vehicle width if it is to be used as an indicator of stability.

Unfortunately, neither the Cayenne nor the Touareg were included in the NHTSA MY 2004 Rollover Ratings.

tidester, host
  • ctomctom Member Posts: 11
    Just got an '04 Cay S with the 19" tires. Dealer said they strongly recommend snow tires (Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice). Question I have is should I buy a second set of rims, too, or is it okay to just have the tires swapped off the existing rims? Any thoughts? Only had the car for 2 days, so what other bits of wisdom can all you experienced Cay owners share with me? Thanks.
  • edmundophileedmundophile Member Posts: 7
    HI. my lexus rx300 was just stolen. im a bit bored with the old station wagon. looking for something a bit more cool. i am looking at the cayenne and the infinity f35 with sports package. on both v6 automatics. Im also 6.4 tall. So anything stand out as a make or break between the two cars? How do i find out if there are any special lease offers? is it wrong to lease from the dealler?
    This link is our Incentives page, but I don't see anything for the Cayenne or Lexus (re leasing) in my zip code.

You may want to browse around the Prices Paid & Buying Experiences boards and the Lease Questions - Ask Here one.

Steve, Host
  • jackson3jackson3 Member Posts: 3
    Based on my experience, the key to getting a deal on the Cay is finding one with the few "key" options -- such as 18 turbo wheels. The only other options in my black 04 is the stainless steel trim (which is very nice), and spare tire. I paid 42K at HBL in Virginia -- which I thought was a great deal -- they had a huge inventory.

I am very happy with the vehicle. As mentioned by others, don't underestimate the value of great Porsche service.
    I have a light grey interior -- which goes well with the steel trim package. The seat color is fine -- the mats get dirty quickly.
    I had a very bad experience with 18 turbo rims with Bridgestone Turanza ER Summer Tires in the snow - never driven a more dangerous vehicle. On the other hand, I had the tires changed to Dunlop Gran Trek -- and the car is fabulous. I don't really notice any major difference in noise and ride -- and don't plan to change the tires.

I really find it hard to believe Porsche puts summer tires on these vehicles as standard equipment in any area where there is snow.
    agree...

seems like the Dunlops and Pirelli Scorpions do a great job....maybe the Dunlops are a little better too.

Bridgestones are just for summer dry roads....

but they do handle better than the Continentals M+S.
    some people (those with extra room in the garage) get a second set of rims and tires for winter/snow...

18" rims with Dunlop Grandtreks are fine, as are Pirellis...though some prefer Dunlops. there are 18" for sale on ebay at a reasonable price, but you have to watch and not overpay.

summer tires on the 19 or 20 " are fine.

Some people just run the all season Continentals year round...
    While you could run the all season Continentals year round , even the 17" ones are poor on ice and snow. My thinking was that I could get by with the poor tires with the AWD, but why buy a Porsche to get by with mediocre handling? Note, before you choke on the pricing at the Tire Rack for a wheel/tire combo also call Direct Tire. They can be more competitive. In any case the sales tax savings may off set the freight and local installation charges.
    yes.. I agree...

I have 2 sets of wheels, one for summer, and another for winter .
    installed 2 back seat monitors and a hidden monitor in the passenger glove compartment...and have the connections to the xbox mounted below where the rear cup holders are. The xbox is then removable...and we can play/use it at home, or bring it on long trips. We just connect it and leave it on the floor of the cayenne. Had a custom box surrounding the xbox to protect it from little kids wandering feet....

did not want to cut into seat back headrests...so ordered the seatback consoles from TechArt....but they do cost a lot...

2 consoles = $2200 (just fiber glass molded to fit behind headrests..with matching fake leatherette)

3 monitors, custom installation, FM wireless headphones, and all other hardware.... = $1400
    "Unlike some of its rivals, Porsche has got it just right — it has diversified into the SUV segment with a hot product, while not taking its eye off the ball in the mainstream market."

Porsche Expects First-Half Profit Boost (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    I rather thought Porsche got it right also....but I am biased.... ;-0
  • bill c.bill c. Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 04 Cayenne S. Has anybody experienced the horribly rough ride that I am? It is terrible!!! I am shocked at how rough it is. I feel everything in the road. Is this normal? Any way to fix it? Dealer says that it's normal, but I don't remember the drive being so bad?

Also, is anybody experiencing the equally HORRIBLE radio reception? I can't believe how bad the reception fades in and out of stereo, becomes muffled like in mono, crackles and pops... it is un-listenable. CD sounds fantastic, so the Bose sound is fine. It is just the radio. HELP!!! Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    For the radio you probably have "traffic" updates selected. Deselect traffic and reception will be fine. As far as the ride goes it is rough. After a couple of months you won't want it any other way. For example the other day there was a leather belt in the roadway. When I ran over it I could feel it in the steering wheel. Obviously a belt is very thin but the Porsche engineers know how to transmit road information through the steering wheel. After a few months drive a lexus and you will race back to clutch your cayenne. It is an up high sports car.
    Yes....it is a sports car first.....luxury cruiser last....though the air suspension may give you a tad more leeway in terms of soft ride.

yep...the ugly twin sister of superb handling is rougher ride.....or vice versa....my Jaguar XJ-12 had a soft comfy ride...but take a corner, and the whole car tilts....

you didn't say whick wheels you got...the 18" wheels /tires offer softer ride....but 20 " ones offer better handling...

I have no problems with reception ...what area are you in ?

Hope all this works out.....I agree....it is a real Porsche.... :-)
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    Make sure your tire pressures are correct. From the factory they pump them up high to stop flat spots in transit.
    I've had a V6 for about a month and just realized last night the limitations of a V6. Coming up I84 out of Hartford last night in blinding snow, I was able to cruise at only 55-65 (roughly 3000 RPM). There was series of rolling hills in northern CT that I never would have noticed in a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Chrysler 318 V8 just loafing along. But the Cayenne V6 repeatedly downshifted once for each hill. Now, maybe I wasn't going fast enough (say 75 or so) to be in a better spot on the power curve but it seemed to downshift once per hill.

I do want to thank Denis721 for the Dulop Gran Treks. They made the trip a piece of cake. Mounted on 18" turbo wheels, they are so good, I could probably hang a plow on the front and make a living doing driveways. I saw a guy in a a BMW 3 Series absolutely hugging the breakdown lane because (probably) he had on summer sneakers.

Radio reception? What reception? Its horrible. I had figured it was the Porche factory revenge on the buyers who weren't going to pop $1800 for the Bose. (Spending 2K on a sterio to listen to talk radio and country with 60 year old ears that spent a year listenting to incoming in Vietnam doesn't seem like a smart move.) But apparently the reception stinks on the cars with Bose also? (I do like the way they print the words to the country songs on the message display. The words to The Whole World Needs a Happy Hour make a trip fly by.)

How do you though check to see if you have the "traffic advisory" on to turn it off to improve the reception?
    Turn the radio on. Push the button marked "Audio" then toggle down to "Traffic" and make sure that it is unchecked. Hope this is a fix for your poor reception.
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hey,

Glad to hear you like the Dunlop Grandtreks!! I really like mine too! No comparison since they are great in bad weather "snow, slush and ice" and yet they are smooth and quiet on dry pavement.

Dennis
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi guys,

I'm about to sign for an 04 Cayenne S.

Being new to LA, I need navigation but cannot find a suitable vehicle, hence decided to buy one without.

Is it possible to replace the normal radio/cd - 6 disc changer in rear as well( is it Becker or Bose?) and install an Alpine unit with navigation but still connected to the Bose system or is the Bose integrated a lot more than I'm thinking? Or am I better off buying a Garmin portable unit?

All replies appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve
    I am pretty sure you can add a Alpine navigation to the Cayenne, but it would have to be on a separate , stand alone system. It would be hard or near impossible to integrate the Alpine to the the existing system, as the cay has a fiber optic network for its Bose and all its other systems. Of course, there may be a way to add adapters to integrate the Alpine., but that would not be easy, IMO. Maybe you can ask MUDMAN2 ......

I like the Alpine system myself....I have one in the suburban....my wife prefers the Acura TL system...but I prefer alpine. Cayenne's is not bad, but it does not have the best graphics.

Blaupunkt has a system that has a telescopic screen that can be mounted and would not be too bad, if you don't mind the extra screen.

that's my 2 cents.... :-)
    Thanks Highender....

I forgot about the fibre optic issue and also I believe the standard head unit is 1.5 DIN size, so not sure if another unit would fit in its spot. If I go for the Alpine, would it fit in underneath the stock unit... ie there is a small space under the stock unit currently. Mudman, any thoughts? Or should I go the easy route and go for a Garmin StreetPilot standalone unit? Anyone know of a good NAV installer in LA (west side)?

Regards,

Steve
  • gwtwgwtw Member Posts: 1
    For those considering the Turbo with the E81 (Power Pack) option...as I took delivery of mine two weeks ago in Colorado..there are some gotchas

1) The only wheel and snow tire that will fit this application is the Porsche 19's...as the upgraded calibers and discs will not clear the 18's. The 20" sport tech's are a special version that are 10" wide and there are currently no snow tire applications.

2) you must have a radar detector with this car. It is insanely quick (500hp and 512ft/lbs).

I love everything about it and will be selling my E55 as the Turbo is as quick and I can take it to the mountains skiing.
    HI gwtw:

congrats on your Cayenne !!

I think you will find it quite a performer...

I have the older version....still like it...

when you drive it slow....( ie at 60 to 70 mph ) , you will be able to get about 18 mpg....on freeway.

about what I get with the TL on mixed driving....
    Going skiing on 19's??? What winter tire (e.g., Blizzak, Dunlop Grand Treks, etc.) will fit a 19? I thought that the reason for the huge business in Cay wheel and tire packages (see Ebay for example) was the inability to find good snow tires in 19"? In any case, be careful on the 19s, they have to hydroplane if within 100 yards of a snow flake.
  • chance6chance6 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all,

I'm very interested in a Cay-S, but a CPO might better fit my budget. I'm thinking less than 10k miles with 18" all-season tires and minimal options (sunroof, Xenon). I drove a new S last weekend (had 18" summer Continentals) and once I got to about 65 mph, there was a noticeable shimmy transmitted thru the steering wheel, as if alignment was off. Is the tire pressure that touchy in such a heavy vehicle ? Is this vehicle worth such headaches ? I have read about such annoying problems with this car. Has anybody had zero or just a couple issues with their Cay ?
    have noticed a shimmy, and frequently it just needs an alignment....

I have 18" continentals , and went over 65 mph...(real figure classified due to Fifth amendment of incriminating myself) and the car was glass smooth at the steering wheel..

I did get a little shimmy with the 20" due to over inflation....

but now it is good....
  • xspectmanxspectman Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Cayenne owners,

I became another proud owner of a new Cayenne S with Pneumatic suspension, about 72 hours ago and must say, I could have had a better experience!

It all started with the absense of a Manual. Then I encountered wheel vibrations about 70 hours ago upon which the dealer explained that this could have been due to "Flat Spots" in the tires. At about 30 hours into the ownership, the dealer offered to replace the wheels (18") with "new" ones to overcome the problem.

About 4 hours ago, when attempting to leave the office, vehicle anounced tire pressure problems upon startup. After shutting down and a re-start attempt, no power was left in the battery resulting in a roadside assitance call to jump-start the vehicle!

I already had an apointment to replace the 18" with 20" ($4,200!) in the morning. I also ordered the running boards ($2,100) to be mounted next week but am now a bit leary about reliability.

What is the overall experience with regards to reliability on the Cayenne S and should I push ahead with the additional investment into a vehicle that may not last reliabilbly for another 72 hrs??
    Hi guys,
    Picked up my 2005 Cayenne S last night. As part of the pre-inspection I noticed that one of the lights was a bit fogged up and pointed it out. The dealer turned the Bi-Xenons on and within a minute or so, the amount had subsided to the lower corner and he claimed it would disappear completely. However, after driving home for 30 minutes, BOTH headlights were 50% covered with moisture on the inside! You'd think that by 2005, Porsche would have fixed this issue for good.
    Anyhow, how easy is this to do yourself or should I just take it back and have them do it?
    Regards,
    Steve
    L.A.
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    I've had my Cay S since May 2004, only problem was a pwer window motor that was replaced. Over 12,000 fun and carefree miles so far! I have the 18' turbo wheels and conti tires(just replaced with michlins) My experience with the Cay has been excellent. Far better than the S class and BMW 7 I had before. Unless you got a lemon, I think you will enjoy the Cay immensly.
    mine since may 2003...

so far no real problems....nothing big...

I got the rear latch broken...but it was my fault....

never got any condensation, even after this wet rainy season...

but I think you just have to take out the dessicant and dry it....but Porsche should take care of this seemingly persistant but otherwise simple, problem...

I have had less problems with this car than I had with the Jaguar....
    Gee, isn't that damnation by faint praise? Forget about Jaguar, let me give you a better comparison. I've had better luck with our Cay than any of the Jeep Grand Cherokees that we routinely ran out to 120K miles with only oil changes.

I've owned a Cay V6 for two months, zero problems, no vibration with either the OEM 17" Continentals or a set of 18" Dunlop Grand Trek winter tires. In fact (and this embarrasses me to admit it) I've never even checked the tire pressure! (Dennis721, were they on the money?). I expected to burn a little oil during the break in period but didn't. I think that for a drive away price of 43-45K these cars are a great value and I think will have excellent resale. My concerns are so trivial that my late father would roll over laughing were he to hear them: the heated steering wheel only comes on at 27 degrees or below, I wish the mirrors had a power fold feature, and the radio reception isn't great.

The only puzzlement I have is why anyone would even look at an X5 and put up with all the BS attendant to owning one of the blue propellers.
    I think you can correct the spotty reception by going to the Audio button then down to traffic and then uncheck it.

My mirrors do electrically fold by turning the the mirror selection knob to five o"clock.

If you are experiencing problems see them through the car is more than worth it.

The only thing I would do it get a set of conti gran teks for winter driving. If it snows where you drive they are a must. 18" of course.
  • xspectmanxspectman Member Posts: 2
    Got my 20"rs mounted today (with tire pressure sensors) and must say, no more shimmy! Price went from $4,100 to $4,800 though! Had some spare tire Error warning messages but seems OK now.

Hey, I'll keep my 18"rs for next winter.
    sorry, but you are right....I did offer a bad example of a Jag...but hey...it was the top of line XJ-12.....(OK...so it still isn't saying much... )

I agree....I would think this car is worth it to get it right....go back to the dealer and insist to have all things corrected.

my friend's Honda Accord , 2001....with only 30,000 miles,,,,keeps dying on them , even on the freeway....and it has been in and out of the dealership for over 4 times already. They just got it back ...so we will see....
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The Cayenne is just a tarted-up VW. Porsche is no longer for real.

Why couldn't they just make a sedan instead?
    aha ! finally, a flamer !!! welcome ... ;-)

now, read up on all the info about what the cayenne can do....and compare it with the VW toureg, the X5, the others....

OK...yes, the price may be a tad more...but you get much more..including exclusivity .

after you do your homework, then we can talk....as you obviously do not know much yet...

;-)
    Hey, High!

including exclusivity

Do they list that on the invoice? What's the unit pricing on exclusivity! ;-)

tidester, host
  • subzerosubzero Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 05 Turbo - and although the car is a great car - the reliability has been an issue for me already as well. I have the panorama roof - which hasn't stopped leaking - I have a horrible noise coming from the right front wheel (sounds and feels like the brake caliper is dragging on the disc) and my navigation unit crashes every couple of days (been replaced once already - to no avail). Therefore, I might think twice about sinking a lot of money into the car. I'm bringing mine back in for service AGAIN on Monday.