Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Thanks for the info on the power mirrors. It would help if I read the manuals. Even my V6 has this nice feature.

Tidester: Nice shot at the notion of exclusivity but it falls short. Exclusivity can be measured, touched and felt. As in when the dealer gives you a loaner during service work (try that at a VW store with a Toureg), at trade in time when a three year old Tahoe LT with the same MSPR as a Cayenne is worth much, much less, when the sales people know your name and help you with service issues, when they give you a free car wash on Saturdays (the NH Porche store), etc. All in all I think most of us would rather spend our money at low volume, high end stores featuring exclusive products and great customer service.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Exclusivity can be measured, touched and felt.

You're confusing exclusivity with good old fashioned customer relations. "Exclusivity" sounds like it has more to do with snob appeal and I doubt that applies to anyone here. No one is excluded from owning a Cayenne, if they have the means, and thousands of companies provide exemplary customer service so the term is just not applicable! :-)

Also, Porsche would certainly want more customers to be included which is why they go out of their way to foster great customer relations.

tidester, host
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

Yes they were all at 38 PSI. I however like to run the back at 40 PSI. The manual on the S calls for 38/42. My dealer always seems to adjust all 4 to 38 PSI.

Dennis
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    your dealer is a fool, re adjust to 42/38 or you are throwing the alignment out. These pressures are important.
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    I dont know about that. I think alot of us enjoy the "exclusivity" of driving a Porsche or a Mercedes or a BMW or other high end vehicle. You certainly are in an exclusive club of owners. Not only are there few of us out there( other Cay owners give a wave when we pass on the streets here in North Carolina), but the quality materials used in the luxury vehicles at this price point can be physically felt and enjoyed.
    I agree that the service is nice but that varys from dealer to dealer and many main line car dealerships offer good service but the cars/SUVS speak for themselves. As far as snob appeal goes......I hate to admit it but I enjoy the admiring looks I get when I'm in my Cay S. And in this SUV the driving/handling experience is also something that can be measured and felt.
    As far as snob appeal goes...

Yikes! You mean I was wrong? ;-)

Personally, I distinguish quality from "exclusivity."

tidester, host
    host or participant ? we need to know
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We're encouraged to participate. You go to a party and don't expect that the Host is going to hide in the basement do you?

This thread reminds me that I have a luxo Mont Blanc fountain pen buried in a drawer somewhere. Funny, I keep reaching for my Flair when I need to write something down.

Steve, Host
    No kidding, I have had him do it to me twice!

When he first installed the tires he set all 4 at 38 psi. I adjusted them to 38/41. Next service visit they were back at 38/38.

Manual calls for 38/43 with a partial load and 38/50 fully loaded.

dennis
    So long as we know, but you should know that your comments sound like a snob in reverse which is OK if thats who you are.

We choose how we spend our money and I guess some do get a kick out of "exclusivity" but I think you will find that its more because its simply the best available and if I can afford it why not.

I disagree with jimscays on this although its his right to feel the way he does.

The troll above is another "its just a car" person, does not understand the logic perhaps because its out of reach, I work hard and my transport means a lot to me, to get me from A to B sure, and to C D & E, safe certainly.

But when your drained from a highly stressed day, the shear enjoyment of the driving experience helps you wind down and smile again.

Most will not connect with this I understand, but it is real I assure you.

Someone once asked why would anyone would buy a 911 Porsche of any age, its because no matter how bad or stressed you feel, 1 hour driving one makes you feel different, better, it restores the smile to your face. The Cayenne does this.
    Q. Just What Type of Car Guy Are You? And just how exclusive can you be driving a wagon? (Inside Line)

A. Pretty exclusive!

Steve, Host
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi tides....good of you to drop by....

I think you scared the flamer away...or was it me .... ;-)

kinda fun to drive what we like....that is all...

I kinda miss my 1977 scirocco...it is exclusive...you don;t see many of those on the roads anymore....and mine had wider rims , and was lowered....it looked good...better than stock...

cayenne is doing well....we enjoy the vehicle..

but snob cache is overrated and not a point that was important, at least in terms of money. I just enjoy the car...how it handles, goes, and the relative safety ...ahem . ;-)

so where's the replacement forum for the iconic but archived one ? ;-)
    welcome, subzero.... !

sounds like you have some serious problems with your cayenne. I would bring it in ASAP and get a loaner while they get it all corrected.

Maybe the sunroof has a bad seal O ring...

I thought the Nav problems would have been fixed by now...I still have not had a single fault with mine.

I understand about the brakes . I still have the same problem with my new acura TL....it just keeps pulling to the right when I step on the brake....caliper clamping down ? I gotta bring it in too.... for the 3 rd time .... ;-(

let us know how it goes...
    As far as snob appeal goes...

Yikes! You mean I was wrong? ;-)

LOL...OK.. there is some satisfaction and snob appeal for some highend owners...

...and sour grapes from others , so it does go both ways..... people do get emotional over cars.....

funny... I think the people who label others as snobs, often are the very same people who later on drive a highend car with a smirk and snobbish air.... I remember one acquiantance who was sour at this guy driving a 911 back in 1983...but later on he ended up buying a 911 speedster... ;-)

the ones who really don't care , probably would not know the difference between a Mercedes and a Taurus....they are both just cars to them....

Personally, I distinguish quality from "exclusivity."

I do too. You can have quality in a Previa...but not exclusivity. You can have exclusivity in a Alfa Romeo GTV6....but not quality....

or you can have both !!! ;-)
    Hi Jimcays:

I agree with what you said....though some of it is arguable when others read about it....I do think most car enthusiasts would enjoy having their cars admired...
    Hi Steve:

You mean you don't have special areas for the guys when you hold a party....special areas like the basement , where guys can be guys... ? :-)

that's where we can have the KKs all to ourselves...

This thread reminds me that I have a luxo Mont Blanc fountain pen buried in a drawer somewhere. Funny, I keep reaching for my Flair when I need to write something down

good point. I know a lot of people who use their luxo pen or special exclusive thingamajigs only on special occasions too... one friend still has his Ferrari Mondial still covered and in the garage (though not on ramps).... has only 20,000 miles.... those are not really daily drivers...

I think most Porsches, except for some very limited production models like the GT or the 959...are really daily drivers that one can take to the roads every day...just like any other mass produced car...IMO.

So I reach for my cross pen sometimes...but use the paper mate a lot.... I think Mont Blancs are snobbish... ;-) (J/K)
    Hiya , Mudman... :

Someone once asked why would anyone would buy a 911 Porsche of any age, its because no matter how bad or stressed you feel, 1 hour driving one makes you feel different, better, it restores the smile to your face. The Cayenne does this

I tend to agree....though some unfortunate people here have had a hard time getting to that enjoyment part due to minor problems....

I do enjoy the vehicle...more than I enjoyed the boxster....that's for sure... !!!
    special areas for the guys when you hold a party....special areas like the basement

One house I lived in had a ghost, Hastings, who kept coming and going at all hours. Turns out his special place was the detached garage, and he visited it often.

No, there wasn't a Jag or Porsche out there (or KK's). Turns out that's where he hid his booze from the missis. Party on :-)

Steve, Host
    your comments sound like a snob in reverse

I have no idea what that means but from the comments here people seem to be using the term "exclusivity" incorrectly and I've explained my reasoning for thinking so. There may or may not be an exclusivity factor but the descriptions given relate to good customer relations and quality. Porsche has both in abundance.

Certainly, as I've explained, Porsche would not want to exclude anyone (more customers = more $$). Does Porsche want you to "feel" exclusive? Perhaps, but I think the aim of that would ultimately be to include more people in the "exclusive club" which, paradoxically, makes it nonexclusive! :-)

In any case, my original comment was for the benefit of my buddy Highender who was a participant in one of our more exclusive but now defunct discussions! ;-)

tidester, host
    Hi highender,
    I don't want to misrepresent myself......... I enjoy my cars and I pick the ones I want because thats the car/SUV I want. I would agree with mudman that after a stressful day driving home is a sheer pleasure and is its own reward. Lord knows I have plenty of those days. I was just confessing that the occasional stare is welcomed.
    For me personally, I need a roomy vehicle since I am a tall guy and I enjoy the mix of luxury, sportiness, and high tech gadgets. So when the Cayenne came along, it was a good fit. Past cars were 745i, S class, Jag, etc. Although back in the late 80's early 90's I enjoyed my...........I know this is blasphemy........my Aerostar, just needed a V8 and more tech stuff. Not snobby at all and I enjoyed that vehicle.
    I do enjoy this board and there is good information on the Cay and nice to know others are enjoying this vehicle as much as I am.
    LOL....

party on, Steve ! ...and watch us slow skiers when you head on down slope... :-)
    :-)
    Yes, I know what you mean.

I happened to get the first one in my area...and the famous sushi restaurant owner had some good comments, as did the top real estate broker ....(.names withheld due to liability to be sued for insinuating bad taste ) ;-)

I was just confessing that the occasional stare is welcomed.

and I do get quite a few thumbs up too...though at Monterey Bay Aquarium, a lady thought it was ugly..but the husband loved it and said "honey..it is the Cayenne !" (not responsible for the husband being in the doghouse that night) .

During one slog thru standstill traffic on I-24...a clueless lady admired it, rolled down her window, and asked if it was a Ferrari....I just smiled and nodded... ;-)

I enjoyed my......I know this is blasphemy........my Aerostar,

....I also enjoyed my Previa (i know, it is a minivan !) ...and my Honda Civic....so I think it just means we all enjoy driving our vehicles...

I enjoy the drive and the ride of the Cayenne. And I added some high tech gadgets to the car also....so it is great for the whole family.

good to hear from you... ! :-)
  • brockwestbrockwest Member Posts: 7
    Let me get this straight....unless the dealer is playing games with me....I paid about 100K for my Turbo (with accessories, insurance etc.)
    Someone stuck a big nail in the tire, so I tried to put on the spare....but couldn't find it. I called Porsche, and they said SPARE TIRES ARE OPTIONS??? No spare tire at all on a Cayenne? I don't mean the fancy rear-mounted, I mean NONE in the spare wheel container!
    Is this true???
    I DO know that when I picked up my car, I happened to notice the dealer in Atlanta had switched the tires and I no longer had the upgraded tires, but was still being charged. After some discussion, their solution was to remove the extra charge for the tires...that they had taken.
    Don't Turbo's come with a small tire in the tire well, or is it indeed an "option?" I've never heard of A spare being on option on any car.
    When I was given the first day owner's speech, they even said to access the spare, unscrew the spare wheel container...I never would have thought to literally do it there in the dealership to make sure a spare was in the spare container. They want an ENORMOUS amount of money to add a spare now "because I didn't order it with the car." Any thoughts? By the way, check your OWN cars....if you don't have a spare, gosh help you if you get a flat in a deserted place.
    I was also VERY surprised that the turbo doesn't play cassette tapes! 100K, and I have to have a have my kid's tape player sitting on the tape to hear Books on Tape, or work cassettes!
    Are you kidding ? you are, right ?

You dropped 100K without knowing what your buying.

The answer is no to your question, its an option. You do get a can of repair foam.
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    I just bought a 2005 model Cay S.... I think all the 2005 models come with a space saver spare as standard, although to be honest it is only marginally better than a can of repair foam when you're off the main road.
    May sound strange I know but in researching the Cayenne before I bought it I noticed that the spare was an option so I made sure that the Cayenne I got had one.
    Dealer told me sports car design and desire to have woofer in sparewell was the reason that a standard spare tire won't fit. With the spare you get an auto pump to inflate. Have'nt had to use it but its best to have it. The collapsable spare was a $170 option on the window sticker.
    Hi brockwest:

the answer is yes...they do NOT come with a spare.....it is an option. I have the subwoofer in its place...but for safety it may be more prudent to have a spare....

I have the turbo too....but knew about the spare tire....I guess it is normal to assume one would get a spare....

I had a minispare for the boxster...and a collapsible spare in the 928...

Yes...it does not play cassettes...but neither does my acura TL...
    I think with the new revolution in CD and DVD music storage... we are going to see less and less cassette players....they may be going the way of the 8 track tape..... :-( I conmisserate with you...sometimes I do feel they tinker with the system (even though arguably it is for the better High Fidelity sound ) too much....so every 10 years or so we have to change all our music components and collection, due to shift in technology...

I still have my records and 45 s ...... ! but most cassettes from 20 years ago are starting to warp and lose sound...........
  • owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    has anybody had problems activating xm radio in cayenne. unclear whether this is an xm issue or a porsche issue?
    Are you adding one or are you referring to the new 05 option ?

if its an addon, and you are putting the antenna on the dash I have heard that the metal in the tint blocks signal in some places, try front passenger side near the base of the windscreen
  • owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    '05 turbo with xm inegrated into pcm. xm tried everything and feels it is a faulty radio. i'm waiting to here back from porsche to either reassign radio id if possible or switch out with new pcm.
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I have Bridgestone ER 30 tires. They are treacherous in the snow. In Wash DC where I live it only has snow for about 2-4 days. It doesn't make sense to buy snow tires for all winter long. Costco has these things called GoClaws, anybody have any experience with them?
  • tracer999tracer999 Member Posts: 5
    After 22 months and 18,000 miles of ownership, there were two things about my 04 Cayenne Turbo that I did not care for: the narrow, stiff seats and the jiggly ride. I just replaced the original 20" Continental tires with 20" Michelin Diamaris tires. While not "pillowy," the ride is much better with the Michelins. Amazing difference, in fact.
  • drcjdrcj Member Posts: 7
    Welcome to the world of Cayenne. I could hardly believe they charged me for a spare but I got one (an inflatable mini) and thank God I have not needed it. They also charged me for hubcap covers! In 04 the options and packages offered were half witted at best. They need to hire some marketing folks from Honda or Toyota to help them with egonomics and options.

I still get angry when I think about how there is no compass with my car and was charged hundreds of dollars for a rear view mirror that dims the way nearly any Toyota does for free.

I guess a saving grace for you would be to call the Porsche rescue 800 number and let them bring you, your car etc to a shop. I had to call the local dealer when my key fob decided to quit unlocking the doors one night after working late and they at least told me what to do to get on the road.

You may want to check to see if a spare can be purchased off the internet since all you do is place it over the sub woofer under the rear deck. I would guess somebody would sell you one for less than list price, maybe from a wreck? Your dealer may not be the best place to purchase for best price.

I have about 16k miles now and the many bothersome bugs and ideo synchratic design issues (no cassette, buttons too small, two control steps needed where there should be only one, hvac too low on the dash etc.) seem to be fixed and/or less irritating now so I am much more able to enjoy the drive.

I hope you find the fun in your new car. They take getting used to but they have redeeming qualities too. Enjoy!
    hundreds of dollars for a rear view mirror that dims the way nearly any Toyota does for free.

I hear you ... but we all know that nothing is free contrary to what the unique language of advertising might suggest.

tidester, host
  • prdprd Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Turbo and Porsche has replaced my tires due to excessive wear 4 or 5 times in the first 8 months of ownership, with only 18k miles.

My patience has worn out since they cannot fix the issue and I have asked for my $ to be returned.
  • tracer999tracer999 Member Posts: 5
    I just had 20,000 mile service on my 04 Turbo this week (Apr 03 delivery). The dealer also did 4 recalls, including a "software update." Since picking up the car, I have multiple electronic glitches. A dashboard warning message appeared, saying directional signal bulb problem, A little yellow bulb icon appeared on dash. But all four corners blink properly. Then a day later, a "Return to Workshop" warning appeared, with a little yellow key icon that alternates with the yellow bulb icon. Today, the rear glass started to unlatch all by itself every time the car is started, with the car shaped icon on the dash with the indication that the glass or tailgate is open. I am returning to the dealer in the morning, but has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    Do you live or drive in a dense field of microwave tower radiation?
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have a 2005 Cayenne S.. all was well until 2 days ago when it started to unlatch the rear glass everytime I got in...ie. as soon as the doors are unlocked and opened. I have to shut it at least 5-10 times before it locks. However once it holds and I either lock the car or am driving it will not unlock itself.. ie. it only happens when the car is stationary... weird! The only warning light I get is the ! symbol on the dash. This is happening in multiple areas of L.A. Any ideas?
    Steve
    Hi tracer and steve968:

I have had my Cayenne since April of 2003...and have had none of the above problems..

and I live next to a growing international airport....with lots of radar/microwaave/radiation emissions....

bring it back to the dealer ..... and have them check it out... also call Porsche and let them know... 1-800- PORSCHE.
  • stheodd1stheodd1 Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2004 S. I currently have 6700 miles on it. I have had the front end aligned twice for pulling one way or the other. The passenger side front tire has lost most of the tread on the inside. How did you approach the dealer to compensate you and get the new tires to replace your worn ones. I am going back to my dealer on Thursday and need to address this problem as well as several others.

Even with the problems I love the drive and feel of the car.

Thanks
    Hi,

I have a Cayenne S and two sets of wheels, one set of 18" Turbo and one 19" Cayenne design. The 18" wheels ride much better then the 19". I was told that the larger the wheel diameter the lower the aspect ratio of the tire the harder the ride will be. So the 18" give the softest ride with more rubber sidewall to flex and soften the ride while the 20" give the harshest ride with the least ammount rubber side wall to flex. The 19" wheels are in between I would guess.
    Dennis
    also call 1 800- porsche.

I think that if the miles are low, they will replace the tires....but you have to be persistant.

I have had tire wear issues...but the dealer replaced the tires also....just be persistant. Tell them it is a well known issue, and they will do it....even a free alignment....

hope this helps.
    I checked with dealer on spare tire for Turbo, after finding they didn't consider it standard equipment. To add it now after buying, they want $5000.00 for re-mounted, $500 for inflatable mini-tire...plus labor.
    In answer to mudman's query, yeah, I paid 100K for car, but certainly checked it out. No, I wouldn't have thought to unlock the spare wheel space to SEE if a tire was there, as they told me that's where the spare was. Like I didn't check to see if fuses were attached, the muffler was mounted or the like. For 100K (with additions), one expects certain minimum conditions for a car...a spare tire, a remote lock that works, a trunk that actually opens with the remote, front tires that don't lose the outside tread in 10,000 miles (dealer's answer to that? Oh, sports cars always do that, nothing wrong with the alignment, will just shift the front tires to the rear.).
    Penny-wise and pound-foolish to sell and expensive car than expect you to pay extra for a tire. They specifically told me there ARE no extra's for a turbo except tow package or up-graded tires (which they had stolen when I picked up the car..thank goodness I noticed That.)
    It's the best car I've ever owned, but the honeymoon is over.
    I understand, somewhat, about not having a tape deck, but since 99% of work tapes and books on tape are cassette, it doesn't address the needs.
    I was very surprised you can't use the in-dash CD, as it is reserved for the Navigation system...the Navigation CD won't go in the trunk CD holder.
    Little stuff that is so minimalistically logical.
    Didn't anyone at the factory ever try using the remotes on the cars? Didn't anyone ever consider what you would do on a deserted road late at night with a flat?
    "any fears that the Q7 would be nothing more than a reskinned Volkswagen Touareg or Porsche Cayenne can be dispelled."

Audi's New Cayenne Fighter Comes to Life (Inside Line)

See the Audi Q7 SUV for 2006 board for a little more.

Steve, Host
    read the manual, you are still way off reality.

You listened to a car salesman, did you read the Sales Book ?

Books on tape are all available on CD

The in dash CD is not Dedicated to Nav

They will replace your keys if you ask, the newer design has better range

Yes, personal decision
    I checked with dealer on spare tire for Turbo, after finding they didn't consider it standard equipment. To add it now after buying, they want $5000.00 for re-mounted, $500 for inflatable mini-tire...plus labor.

yes...it would be nice to have a spare...but mostly it is something that we seldom use. OTOH, I do think they should include the collapsible spare as they did for the boxster& and 928.

... one expects certain minimum conditions for a car...a spare tire, a remote lock that works, a trunk that actually opens with the remote,

I understand your frustration. Many people complained about the 911, 996, and the older boxsters, not having any cupholders. Not having user friendly buttons, spartan interiors...

What made me understand their point of view, is that this is a sports car first... . It has :

1- dry sump lubrication...found only in exotic sports cars..and the newer BMW 330 sedan. Even older BMW did not have this.
    2- a computer system that uses fiberoptic network to talk to its components...connecting the stereo, ESC, traction control, brakes, nav etc....
    3- dual ( thats TWO) timing chains....it will last the life of the vehicle...No need to have timing belt changed.
    4- real 4x4 ability
    5- high speed stability like a sports car...
    6- true dual circuit brakes
    7- first true surround sound stereo system in original equipment car in the world. ( the Acura TL also has this now)

there are more...I can't remember the other pluses that are only found in the cayenne, off the bat.

True, remote and spare tire and cup holders and cassette tape player are/can be even found in Yugos ...

But I think you are looking at the nuisance small stuff, ( and these stuff do make it less convenient for you) and missing the big picture if that is all you concentrate on. I bought the cayenne knowing that it came with these nuisance items...which were raised in their other vehicles.

1- less than ideal remote range.
    2- 18 inch wheels
    3- no spare
    4- no cassette

would you rather have a spare and cassette and 18 inch wheels, and good remote..but not the top of line, state of art engine and performance of a sports car , oops its a 4x4... ? I know I would not. I had a Honda civic...and I prefer the cayenne every day of the week, and twice on Sunday... :-)

front tires that don't lose the outside tread in 10,000 miles (dealer's answer to that? Oh, sports cars always do that, nothing wrong with the alignment, will just shift the front tires to the rear.).

Mention to your dealer that many people are having their alignments and free new tires done under factory warranty...

I just got a new set of 2 continental 4x4 contact mounted on the turbo yesterday....the rear ones were OK...so I did not ask for the whole 4 new tires...though the selfish part of me says I should have.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish to sell and expensive car than expect you to pay extra for a tire.

I think you are dwelling on the small items, and missing the capabilities of the car....like complaining about the $700 oil change of a Ferrari Enzo..."because oil changes can be had for $29.99...why $700 ?"

Of course, that is easy to do, I understand and wonder why they did not get it right the first time.....since it is the part of the car that you use everyday that is giving you some inconvenience.

Wait, Porsche tested the cayenne in Africa, MiddleEast deserts, Canadian artics, Swedish tundras, US midwest, etc...to PUSH the outer limits of what is possible in a SUV...no other car maker did this. Yes...in the process of making a super SUV, they did forget some minor stuff....an afterthought that should have been taken care of, IMO.

They specifically told me there ARE no extra's for a turbo except tow package or up-graded tires (which they had stolen when I picked up the car..thank goodness I noticed That.)

Sounds like a car salesman....;-) I would pester the car dealership and call 1-800- PORSCHE>....and I think they should give you a spare....if that is what you were promised (you gotta convince them) and they may do it out of customer service/courtesy...

It's the best car I've ever owned,

same with me...I used to have a Jaguar XJ-12, Toyota Previa, Boxster S, and Suburban (supercharged and modified) ...but by far the most capable, most satisfying, most increidible car I ever owned, is the Cayenne....

but the honeymoon is over.

my honeymoon is still continueing...knowing realistically that all relationships have expectaions and disappointments.

You have a "Cindy Crawford" exotic on your honeymoon , I would suggest you INWARDLY overlook the beauty mole....

But still approach the dealer with poise, sincerity and courtesy....and let them handle it...do NOT TAKE/FALL for the dealer spin on the tires....be gentle but persistent. I will help you call them if you like.

my email is psalm81_10b@yahoo.com . You can tell me details if you want, and I can help you call. I already helped one person get the tires changed. I may be able to pull some strings...not that I am a big shot or anything. :-(

I understand, somewhat, about not having a tape deck, but since 99% of work tapes and books on tape are cassette, it doesn't address the needs.
    I was very surprised you can't use the in-dash CD, as it is reserved for nav...

IT can be used for music CD or nav....but you are right..it would be more convenient for permanent nav....

Didn't anyone at the factory ever try using the remotes on the cars? Didn't anyone ever consider what you would do on a deserted road late at night with a flat?

I agree....they paid less attention to those details,,,,, they paid too much attention to engine design, vehicle performance, off road performance, engine longevity, car safety, actual vehicle performance in the real world, etc....

Less attention was paid to looks (arguable), convenience, comfort, casette, etc.....
    OH....besides tires...you should also ask for the newer remotes, like mudman suggested.

spockcat even has info on how VW is willing to reroute the remote sensors...

present the items together....so you will present a stronger front...

good luck....and email me if you want...
    Wrong info: No, you cannot put Nav CD in rear, so front is dedicated to nav., per dealer.
    No, dealer refused to upgrade remote, so that is untrue.
    No, Salesbook doesn't say you have to buy spare and no tape cassette
    No not many books on tape on CD....walk into any bookstore, 3000 tapes, about 50 CD's half of which are "Chicken Soup"

Right info: ty highlander for useful suggestions. I agree spare tire is rarely used (maybe once in a car's life-time, but that one time is VITAL.)
    I don't agree that focusing on $700 oil changes is missing the big stuff. YES I adore the wonderfulness of the car, but, no, I don't like being ripped off.
    I'd LOVE to have dealer come to MY job and charge him $700 for a $29 normal work order.
    I always approach dealer's with a professional attitude, but this one....this one....it's like dealing with a used car dealer. I've had no problem with Mercedes, Infinity dealerships..this is like being back in college with my clunker getting the "kid" treatment instead of the "kid glove" treament.
    "Wrong info: No, you cannot put Nav CD in rear, so front is dedicated to nav., per dealer.
    No, dealer refused to upgrade remote, so that is untrue.
    No, Salesbook doesn't say you have to buy spare and no tape cassette"

I think your main problerm is the dealer and you did not read the sales brochure or the owners manual completely

1. You can put a cd in the front navigation slot to listen to music if you want, however the Nav cd will not work in the rear changer. So you can't have both at the same time if you use the front to listen to a cd, but if you bought the 6 disc cd changer can put your book cd's in the changer.

2.I have a Cayenne and there is a program to replace the remotes free of charge, mine were replaced last November free of charge, I didn't even have to ask. I was in for something else and they ask me for both of my remotes so they could do the upgrade.

3.In the 2004 sales brochure it clearly states in the wheels and tires section, that the 18" spare is optional, (optional means you have to buy one as in not included). In the 2005 sales brochure the 18" spare is shown as included, maybe you were looking at the wrong year sales brochure. You should have purchased a 2005, that would have fixed you Nav problem too as the 2005 has a seperate DVD system under the front seat dedicated to Nav DVD's (yes DVD not CD was another improvement in 2005).

4.They charged you for wheel caps, well only if you wanted the color ones, the monochrome ones are standard.Thats listed as an option in the sales brochure too

5.Original tires you paid for swapped out by dealer, your dealer must be a real piece of work, I would look for another dealer to take on my service work. If he is that big of a crook and wont do outstanding Porsche campaigins like replacing the remotes and apparently he doesent know what he is selling you either. A $700 oil change is rape!

I would call the Porsche hotline and report him too!