Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• owens2owens2 Member Posts: 21
    i have '05 cayenne with telephone prep option. when will porsche have a phone to put in? will it be bluetooth? will it be integrated into the PCM?
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    thanks
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Guys, I've got three easy ones:

Remotes. Should I try to get my '05 remotes upgraded or are these the latest and best ones? I am having no problems with them. Maybe I'm wierd but I walk up to the door before using them so range is not an issue. Are the people who are having range problems trying them 90 feet away in the middle of the parking lot? (Hey, look at me and my Cayenne?)

Back window. Yes, the back window does seem to be hard to keep closed and prevents you from locking the vehicle.

Service Indicator: My '05 Cay in three months has 1k miles on it (we had over 100" of snow this winter and the Cay became the third car for a two driver family) yet on the info display it says "1700 miles to service". What is up with that?
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I took my 05 Cayenne S in to rectify the rear window 'opening problem'. Thankfully, it was an easy fix with the micro-switch on the outside rear window being faulty.

I've had no problems with my remotes or any tyre vibrations.

In addition, I have been asked to participate in Porsche's new 'blackbox' program. They fit a blackbox for 2 months to your vehicle which records all kinds of engine parameters. The dealer service dept. didn't know much about exactly why they were doing this but stated that they had seen some differential problems on the Cayenne and possibly wanted to find out how vehicles were being driven.

Anyonw know any info on these 'blackboxes' ?

Regards,
    Steve
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi brockwest:

thanks...and you're welcome !

I just want to point out that mudman knows alot about the Cayenne. He even does a lot of mechanical work on it himself. There are a group of cayenne owners on another forum that are enthusiastic about the vehicle.

I agree with you, the spare should have been included, like auto dimming mirrors and such. However, perhaps Porsche paid too much attention to the engine, and all other performance parameters, so they left out some of the niceties that many of us take for granted today.

Power steering is included, but Servotronic power steering is extra.

I agree about not wanting to be ripped off. Porsche may have gotten some of the stuff wrong....and being in the first years models...which can make or break the company...maybe they left some niceties out...

but now the company has $2 billion plus in the bank....cash ! They do not even need financing to do any projects. So perhaps if you call porsche , and have a new dealer work with you on the remote and spare tire issue, then the problem would be solved.

I suggest you approach your own dealer one more time...after letting 1-800-PORSCHE know that you are going back to them. If they still do not help, then get PORSCHE on their backs. or switch dealers.

I think mudman means the front slot can play either NAV or CD...not just NAV.
    You mean that NAV discs cannot be placed in the rear 6 disc CD player...but only in the front PCM unit...

SO YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT ! YOu are talking about the same thing, just from different sides.

I will try to get my dealer to change the remotes out ....for the stronger and better ones....
    and I will keep you guys up to date on it...
    Hi dennis 721:

5.Original tires you paid for swapped out by dealer, your dealer must be a real piece of work, I would look for another dealer to take on my service work.

I agree...except I would try one last time. Call 1-800- Porsche...and they will talk to the dealer, and work something out. I have had no problems calling them and getting things smoothed over. But I agree, the dealer was lousy for trying to gyp brockwest out of the upgraded wheel and tire package.

If he is that big of a crook and wont do outstanding Porsche campaigins like replacing the remotes and apparently he doesent know what he is selling you either.

agree....which dealership is this one , anyway ? seems like brockwest got a temporary con artist /used car salesman .

A $700 oil change is rape!

I think brockwest was just using my example of the cost of a ENZO oil change, not a cayenne oil change. Ferrari oil change is about $700 plus for the ENZO.
    first time I heard of it....

please be persistant with Porsche and find out their results, and share if with us , if you will...... :-)
    Hi:

I just wanted to let you know that each Cayenne engine is hand assembled, then bench tested individually. If the torque and horsepower do NOT meet the specs, the whole engine is taken apart and reassembled. If it still does not reach specs, a new one is used, and that one is rejected , probably for parts or check to narrow down problem .

I think AMG Mercedes engines are hand assembled and bench tested. Not the regular Mercedes engines.

And we all know that engines do not actually all produce the same horsepower...just because they are all the same, with the same parts, when the sum of the total is put together,,,,sometimes the result is an anemic wimp of an engine...

WE bought a Hyundai XG300 in 2001, which was supposed to have 196 horsepower.. Then we got a settlement from Hyundai...it seems the engines all had a lot less hp than advertised...

I used to own a 1984 Merc Lynx that was so anemic that we had to let semi trucks pass us on uphill freeways..... !!!

REST assured that you got a performance exotic...maybe it is not a LEXUS in reliability yet....but they are trying to get there....

I would keep pestering Porsche, if I did have problems...

I am taking the cayenne down to LA , a 5 hour jaunt , on Tuesday.. :-)

have fun...and hope you get it all resolved..
    the most recent issue, April, I believe,
    compared the Cayenne T, X5, Mercedes G55, and Volkswagon Toureg V10 diesel...

4th place was G55
    3rd went to X5
    2nd went to VW...

and First place is....Cayenne !!! Best GT SUV , in their opinion .....

a can do all vehicle.

note the Cayenne S can stop from 60 mph to 0 in only 112 feet....similar to a Chevy corvette.....

there were similar figures for the cayenne turbo...though sometimes 60-0 is 112 ft, sometimes it is 120 ft....nevertheless...great stopping distances !
  • dennis721dennis721 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

You must really like having those Dunlops WT's by now, I been watching how much snow you have been getting.

Your question about upgrading the remotes is probably yes. My Cayenne S is a 2005 and was built in September. The new 2005's were supposed to have the new updated remotes installed at the factory starting at the end of October 2004, so depending on your actual build date you may still have the older version. You should check with your dealer. When I took mine in for something else the dealer just up and said there was a campaign on the remotes and my 2005 was included.

As for range, my new remotes will work from at least 60 to 80 feet away. I never try to activate them any further. If I do the auto relock works before I ge to the car unless I runnng. LOL!!!

I would sure check with the dealer about the service indicator though!! I am at about the same milage as you and no such indication about service has shown up on my Cayenne.

dennis
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Super-Hot Cayenne Sets Speed Record (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    This was my bill for the 20k service. When you get right down to it, it was not a whole lot more than an oil change. They made a few updates in addition to the service but.....this is not a cheap vehicle to maintain, like any Porsche. I think that if you want to be really picky about details, buy a Lexus. The focus at Porsche has always been performance in well built machines. The luxury is a recent addition due to consumer demands. I personally bought an S because I didn't want the NAV and a bunch of other electro-google gizmos. I wanted a fast capable SUV, that is what I got. To act as though they ripped you off is absurd. It is totally up to you to determine what exactly you are getting. YES, you should have looked for the spare....it is a $100k car, dang right I would have checked, top, bottom, inside, and out. You simply have it backwards IMO, it isn't Porsches "duty" to provide certain features, it is your duty to determine if the vehicle has what you want and performs as you expect. I love my Cayenne S!
  • nigelunigelu Member Posts: 6
    Did you ever get an answer as to how one gets the narrow seats widened, the narrow bolsters are really getting to be a pain, this is the only reason I would swap the car for something that is comfortable, (6' 230#) the back is fine, just the legs are too narrow
    Hi v12power:

nice to have you drop buy again....

my oil change was about $200....including oil filter...

I have it done at the local oil changer , oil only, for $29,99....I brought the oil..they did the work...synthetic oil is about $6.oo per quart retail....

I will bring it in for the 20,000 mile service soon.

agree....Porsche is about performance....all else is an afterthought. That is how they designed the car...

but I do think they should back up the dealer and give a spare tire to those who were promised one,...or who thought they should have gotten one....just for good customer public relations , if nothing else....
  • jasontjasont Member Posts: 11
    I have really enjoyed reading this forum.

I am looking at two different 2005 Cayenne V6s, one with an MSRP of $54,700, the other is $53,700. The dealer is telling me that these MSRPs run about 6000 over invoice and that he will discount $4000 off the MSRP.

The MSRPs seem accurate when I cross reference them against different sites, is $4000 off MSRP a good deal?
    Hi jasont:

It does not sound bad...from what I hear the new cayenne is getting anywhere from $3000 to $4000 plus...but I could be wrong....maybe ask in the prices paid forum ?
  • jlax60jlax60 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with our 05 S.

Dealer replaced latch mechanism in 1 hour.

It stays closed now but we're having intermittent problems with remote locking. Sometimes won't lock or unlock with the remote. Dealer says it's a user problem and couldn't find anything wrong with it.
  • geohoundgeohound Member Posts: 5
    I got $3,500. (~8%) off my '05 V6 last summer when I ordered it. It was the best deal I could find at the time, after talking with 4 Porsche dealers. Good luck.
    As I posted earler, my '05 V6 with now 1000 miles on it reads "1700 to service" on the info display. Following the feedback to my initial post here, I called my dealer. The General Manager said that Porche has an oil change interval of 20,000 miles or one year and probably the "1700 miles to service" meant that while I hadn't driven very far, that the oil was now approaching 12 months in the crankcase. (I guess that would mean that my December 31 purchased '05 was assembled in January, 04?).

When I spoke to the same dealership's Service Manager, he said that this is the first he had heard of a 12 month clock built into the mileage indicator and that it probably left the factory improperly set and that he would reset it. These conflicting answers leave me puzzled.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The other thing I am puzzled about is why the Cay isn't absoutely knocking the X5 dead. Its clearly a better car for less money. When I mentioned this to the GM he said that Porche was cutting back on production on the Cay to maintain exclusivity and they had a hard time getting cars. I think that Cay is 48% of Porche sales. Are they really cutting back on their sales leader? Maybe the Cay margins are thin compared to the 911s? Incidentally, this weeks Autoweek has a photo and blurb on the forthcoming Porche sedan. Sign me up. Take my non-refundable deposit. Imagine driving off into the sunset in a 4 door Porche!
    LOL...

yes, you must feel confused...but you are not alone. Many vehicles with special equipment have certain maintenance intervals, some that contradict or are diff than other cars in their lineup. "Some people just do not know, but tell you something just so you don't think they are clueless....

hope you can read the manual and see if it is in there.

I would like to have 4 door ,4 seater Porsche ......(hey, I did have the 928...which was a great everyday car...but hard to get in and out of the rear seats...) Cayenne does fine for me in the meantime....

Recent motortrend compared a Mercedes G series, BMW-X5 , VW toureg, and Cayenne....and elected the Cayenne the winner.... IT is the Motor TRend , April issue... It liked all the others, as all of them had positive points...but only one was the overall winner... :-)
    A little 4 door aside:

Four-Door Porsche Sedan Set for Frankfurt Debut (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • cruzan1234cruzan1234 Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

Picked up 2005 Cayenne V6 last night. I want to change the tires. Any suggestions? I am not a fan of the Continentals that are on there. Thanks.
  • cayturboinalacayturboinala Member Posts: 1
    Went to my dealer to get trailer light plug installed. THey claimed to know nothing about it (my car has factory towing package). They sent me to a trailer place that apparently shorted some wiring trying to splice in a different style connector. Now my suspension height adjustment won't work and my Turbo has been in the shop at the dealer for over two weeks. Help anyone, please.
    Hi,
    The dealer fixed this very quickly... replaced the micro switch on the rear outside window handle. Have had no problems with it since then.

Steve
    Hi guys,
    Further update on the blackbox instal that PCNA asked to install in my 05 Cayenne S.

The dealer installed it yesterday - took about 5 minutes. It's about the size of a shoe box and made of black wood! It sits in the back area with velcro on the bottom to stop it sliding around. Conected to it is a cable which has a multi-pin adaptor that plugs into a socket underneath the dash near the steering wheel.

From what I've been told, they are recording all the vehicle's parameters including g-force, rpm, speed, gear shifting points, basically anything that the cars ECU will experience. This trial will last 6 weeks and then they take the box out.

I believe they have been seeing issues with the centre lock diff but am not really sure why they are collecting this 'real world' data. I asked if 997's and boxsters were being evaluated,... so far it seems only limited to Cayennes.

Anyone else have more info on this?

Regards,
    Steve
    Hi Steve:

I am interested in the results...but I am inclined to think they may be tempted to not tell you all they know...(not to say it is a corporate problem with Porsche only)

Please keep us up to date on this .....thanks..
    yikes...hope the dealer helps you out...like they did for me when I stupidly slammed down the rear hatch onto an electrical plug that happened to be in the way of the latch. The dealer said owner errors or other events not under their control is NOT covered under warranty. however, they did fix it as a goodwill gesture....and I was not charged. Having other shops tamper with Porsche equipment is a sure way to endanger your warranty, but now I think they have to prove that the other shop actually did something to directly cause the problem.

Does the trailer light connection come close or is it on the same circuit as the suspension ? If it is, then the dealer may not fix it...(not unless you ask for some goodwill favor) and it may be the responsibility of the trailer place.
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    I just bought four Pirelli PZero for my Turbo. It's not as high performing as the Continental but they are less expensive. They seem to be ok.

Also, my local Porsche dealer now has nitrogen air which were used in my new tires. I'm not sure but I seem to be getting 1-2 miles per gallon better which is what nitrogen supposed to do.
  • joemillionairejoemillionaire Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone installed BlueTooth capability in their Cayenne? Please provide some info. I want to utilize my cell through the Cayenne's speaker/microphone.
    I had a chance this weekend to drive a CAY V6 with the Bose system and it is night and day better than the standard sterio. Now, having learned my lesson, I'm wondering if I couldn't upgrade the existing base sterio by just having the Bose (or comparable) speakers installed in doors? I don't need anything else besides a better sound. Does anyone have any thoughts?

My Cay came without the roof rails. While I'm not sure I would ever use them, I think they add a nice look to the car. Do they easily install?

Thanks.
  • svinaiksvinaik Member Posts: 84
    Yesterday my Cay S went dead. For some unknown reason, battery went completely dead. Dealer cannot find any fault. Possible explanation is that either the door may have been left open / lights left on etc. which I doubt but may be true. Vehicle has been driver regularly except for the last 2 days.

After the jump start, battery has been charging upto 14 amp. So seems to be okay.

Anyone else with similar experience?
    Hi svinaik:

I had the interior lights on all night, and the car started in the morning....

find out if there is a short, or some other fault...
  • msingerbmwmsingerbmw Member Posts: 42
    I had similar experience. Twice the car appeared dead, I unlocked the car manually moved the gearshift lever and then the car started right up. I believe it is a computer error that has to reset.

good luck
  • zipsterzipster Member Posts: 1
    And it will be a celebration! After four new cars in four years (2 Audis, a Jeep and now the Cayenne S) I have a terrific ride I've no intention of dumping. It's two in May and the only problems have been minor and quickly corrected by a conscientous and customer-caring dealership. Great SUV! Lousy gas mileage, but that comes as no surprise. It's well worth the fuel charge premium. :shades:
  • dburke1dburke1 Member Posts: 1
    I just added a 2003 Cayenne to my small stable of cars, and although our gas in Canada is over $4/ gallon, the Cay does impress me in many ways. I'm looking to lower the car with springs, but from what I've seen available, the Eibach's don''t do the job, and the others from H & R and G & A only lower approx. 1.2" or so. My question is this....are there springs out there that will lower the vehicle 2 or more inches? Any help would be much appreciated...
  • novitonovito Member Posts: 2
    I have 12,000 miles on the stock 20" Michelin diamaris and they are toast. Mostly highway driving. Anyone have recommendations on another type or brand? P will only recommend Michelin.
    "P will only recommend Michelin". Gee, why then didn't mine come with Michelin?

Would you consider giving up the 20's (what are they called in the 'hood, "dubs"?) and putting something more realistic on? Something more ride, weather, and wallet friendly?
  • novitonovito Member Posts: 2
    perhaps I wasn't clear, With the OEM 20" rims with the proper speed rating the Michelin Diamaris is the only tire P will recommend. I like the looks of the "dubs" cuz they fill up the wheel well a little more. But at $330 each i will consider anything.
    out....so will take it in, since it may be covered...

all else is doing well with the car....
  • jmincojminco Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Cayenne S that I would like to lower and get new rims and tires I have lowered every other SUV I have owned without issue but I cannot get a straight answer on if I lower the car with (Champion Porsche Lowering Springs) will it void my Porsche new car warranty. Any help on this would be appriciated as I have already ordered my rims and they would be set-off better by lower the SUV by 1.5 to 2.0 inches.
    getting it done by the dealer will most likely not void the warranty.....

plus there is a new law ( don't know if it was passed ) that the retail aftermarket parts association put together , that said "that no aftermarket part can void a warranty , unless the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part specifically caused the malfunction ."

seeems reasonable to me...You may also want to call the Beeter Business Bureau, which may have more of this info....

just my 2 cents.
    Hi Highender,

I think Magnuson Moss has protected people from manufacturer's invalidating warranties for years, but if the dealer denies your warranty claim, it's up to you to convince them otherwise. And that could be a big hassle.

If there's a new law changing the angle, it's probably at SEMA - here's the link to their Action Center that keeps track of laws relating to aftermarket stuff (like NY is banning spinner hubcaps - who knew?).

Steve, Host
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Pirelli has a winter tire, "Scorpion Ice and Snow," in 275/40 R20 which fits the 20" Porsche offerings.
    Hiya Steve:

How goes it.? Hope all is well...

thanks for the info...SEMA was the acronym that I was after...

I agree....the dealer will often deny the warranty ....and let you fight it out with them before /if they relent....

good point...

h
  • teamyonexteamyonex Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone have more details concerning the timing of this?

There are a lot of internet rumors on this topic. Most say the facelift/refresh will not occur until '07. However, I was just at my Porsche dealer anxious to order an '05 and was told wait if I was interested in the new styling. Check out rennteam.com on the subject. I pressed the dealer about it and again was told that the facelift would occur for MY '06, production starting with June '05 build, delivery in August. So I don't know who to believe, but figure I'll wait and see. The '06 might have increased HP, redesigned headlights/nose, and LED taillights with a flatter rear hatch. But who knows. Google "Cayenne facelift". Since Range Rover, BMW, Audi, and Cherokee SRT8 are all coming out with models that come close to outdoing the Cayenne, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Porsche refreshed things sooner than later.
  • marioonemarioone Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Cayenne S 2 months ago and it has been back to the Dealership 4 times. Every time I pick up the car they state they rebalanced the tires and it is fixed. I am beginning to believe that it is not a wheel balancing problem. Was your Cayenne fixed yet?

Greg
    Teamyonex, I've never seen a 275 by 40 by 20. In fact, I've never even seen dubs except when I am on the Cross Bronx Expressway delivering a load of lobsters to New Yawk and someone flys by in a 'slade. But I think that any tire that wide would handle horribly in snow/rain and ice. No matter how agressive the tread.

Remember, there are other people out on the road with you. Good looks and filling the wheel well with some big sneakers are not the only criteria. IMHO some of these tire/wheel packages are absolutely irresponsible from December 1st through April and any time you are in a heavy downpour.
    My cayenne has 19,000 miles on it...and I brought it back only 2 times...once they just rotated the tiress..which of course did not correct the uneven tire wear issue....

so I brought it back again, but not before calling 1-800-PORSCHE....and spoke to the manager at the dealership . I told both what I was going to do . Do not talk just to the service rep....he has no authority and maybe was trained to sell you service , even though this is a covered issue.

The dealer ended up balancing all 4, after replacing 2 tires with new ones....all under warranty, even after 15 months and 9000 miles. .

I have no vibration or shimmy issues...
  • chance6chance6 Member Posts: 13
    Highender,

What size wheels do you have ? If I get a Cay S in the next few months, I'm leaning toward the V-rated all-season tires on 18" wheels. It's really all I need. I test drove an S a couple months ago with 19" and summer tires and the thing shimmied like crazy at highway speeds. Maybe b/c it was cold outside, who knows.

I'm going to slum it on the options...maybe a moonroof, good sound, maybe PCM, that's about it. Any advice on how to work a good deal ?
  • merrymmmerrymm Member Posts: 5
    How many of you plan to trade in your Cayenne for the new one on 07? Does anyone have any more pics or info about it? I almost bought the 06 S, but decided to wait and put a down payment on the 07. :D