Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

Comments

• mandyr1050mandyr1050 Member Posts: 9
    Black with Beige was my first pick...but unfortunately it couldn't be found! You made a beautiful choice! I ended up with Titanium with Black interior...my second choice...can't complain! May you have many, many hours of enjoyment! :D
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear 2cayornot2cay:

No. You should not expect to pay $2,000 for new tires. $1,800 will cover the bill…
    Purchased in August 2003, my Cayenne S now has about 15K miles. My original Pirelli PZeros will last probably another couple thousand miles. Hence, your estimate of a 20K mile tire lifespan seems reasonable.

Regarding reliability, my Cayenne does not have any serious problems. Admittedly, the weak A/C in the second row, the heavy you-must-slam-it trunk, the squeaky brakes, the rattle noise from the dashboard area, and the expensive maintenance ($200 oil changes) can be discouraging. Warranty repairs included an airbag sensor light and a jolt/jerk in the transmission upon 12 mph. Manufacturer’s recalls included rear seatbelt, rear window switch, condensation buildup inside headlights, parking brake wiring harness, and transfer case housing (oil pump). The dealer performed all warranty and recall work at no cost to me.

Yet, the Cayenne has never failed me nor left me stranded anywhere. The V8 engine is generous with both horsepower and torque, the small turning radius is always nimble, the luxurious interior is superbly elegant (quiet too), the Navi unit is clearly worthwhile, the dashboard and console layout is very organized, the Tiptronic offers the best of both manual and automatic, the Xenon is extremely illuminating (including an extra cornering light), and the Entry-and-Drive function is super convenient. I have yet to hear anyone criticize the Cayenne’s drive, brakes, or performance.

The X5 may have similar driving characteristics, but its interior is not nearly as nice nor photogenic. More importantly, the X5 has older technology. Only the new BMW 7, 5 and 3 series have real navigation, surround sound stereo, adaptive Xenon, push button start… The MDX is a different species altogether. If the Acura interior has fake wood trim, what else in it could be fake? Nobody would classify the Acura as a sports car.

My sister was driving the Cayenne recently (she normally drives her BMW 528i to work). At her office, the CEO jumped in front of her cubicle and dangled the keys of his Mercedes S class. He wanted to swap his S class for the Cayenne to conduct an overnight test drive. Do you think the CEO would have wanted to swap for an MDX?

Good luck, and please share your post-sale experiences.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The premium sport SUV market is getting more and more exciting for consumers."

EXCLUSIVE: First Glimpse of Audi Q7 Revealed (Inside Line)

More talk about it in the Audi Q7 SUV for 2006 discussion.

Steve, Host
  • carol44carol44 Member Posts: 2
    HI. I JUST STARTED SEARCHING THIS FORUM FOR ISSUES ON THE CAY S. I HAVE A 2005 , AND THE CAR PULLS TO THE RIGHT CONSTANTLY. I'VE TAKEN IT IN 3 TIMES---DEALER CLAIMS IT IS NOT AN ALIGNMENT ISSUE. IS THIS WHAT YOU WERE EXPERIENCING, OR VIBRATING ONLY?
    I just picked up my 2005 Cay S yesterday and I already have the same warning symbol on the dash. Did you ever figure out the problem?
    Thanks. :(
    Okay..figured it out--seems to be a back hatch issue--After about 10 tries--it finally registered and cleared the warning symbol!
  • dknyc1dknyc1 Member Posts: 6
    I leased my wife the Cayenne V6 about 2 months ago & we love it.

Has anyone found an adapter to hardwire hookup an ipod to the factory radio?

Also, anyone else feel the remote door lock / unlock key fob is a pain in the A?
    It is very tempermental - or are we just not used to it yet?
    There's an iPod - In your car! discussion that we keep trying to heat up; maybe a fan in there can help.

Steve, Host
  • newpeppernewpepper Member Posts: 5
    The slogan says it all. I have owned, at one time or another every possible "hot" SUV there is to own. Nothing even comes close to the my Cayenne S (except maybe the TURBO). YOU WILL HAVE NO REMORSE. Trust me there is absolutely nothing on the market that can come close to the Cayenne S. Unless you are a girl, forget the 6 cylinder. This car was built to be an 8 cylinder. If you have the means I highly recommend one.

New Pepper
  • jimscaysjimscays Member Posts: 41
    AMEN, Preach it brother! :shades:
    You guys better get in the 21st Century or some women folk are going to be preaching to y'all. I may have to have Danica Patrick come over and give y'all some real driving lessons.

Steve, Host
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi all...

They even have a cayenne in the middle of Sichaun, just below the tibetan frontier........ !

Have 23,000 miles on the vehicle...and have no big problems....

had the two bald tires replaced under warranty....

I am surprised brockwest got no where with Porsche....

the car is tons of fun....

This is the best no compromises vehicle that I can think of.....

I do see many female drivers of cayenne....and my wife loves the performance and utility of the car.....

have fun, ya all...

had no big
  • maukamakaimaukamakai Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if there are DVD players with the screens in the headrest of 05 Cay S? I live on south Florida and am told they have for the 04 but not the 05. Is there a difference in the headrest of the 04 or 05?
  • stevev968stevev968 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    last weekend, my 05 CayenneS decided to start playing up. The engine light came on although it ran fine. The next day I was filling up with gas and subsequently, it started up but ran rough for 3-5 seconds then died. This happened 3 times before it came good and then no problems thereafter. I booked it in with the dealer in L.A. Since I work 20 miles away, I asked for a loaner and am promised one (Audi).

I arrive there bright and early last Wednesday. After going through with the service advisor I find out no loaners are available to me. I waited 1hour and 10 minutes from when I first arrived before a rental company girl rolls up and takes me a few blocks away and has me sign and pay for insurance on a small Mazda. Thinking it would be for the day only, I did not worry about the fuel/insurance cost that I had to cover, I was just happy to have a car after the long wait.

I was called late that afternoon to say they found the problem but needed to fly the part in and it would not be in until the next morning. OK, fair enough....

Yesterday, I call up again in the afternooon to be told the part is still not in. I call again today and am given the same story.... which means I now have no car for the long weekend and I was planning on going away for a weekend trip. Meanwhile I am paying insurance on a small rental car and am not getting any answers.

Do you guys feel that given the above, it is unreasonable to be asking for another high quality vehicle (Porsche or similar) for the long weekend given that they have an issue getting parts to me on a current model (I've owned it for 4 months)?
    What other avenues should I be taking? This is not what I expect after spending $60K.

regards,
    steve
  • billyg2billyg2 Member Posts: 30
    steve, there is no point & asking why did you buy from this dealer to
    begin with so my advise is to speak to someone @ the top. without
    ? you should of been given a dealer loaner that was audi 4 equivelant
    or above. also, they should of been more upfront with the part being delayed.
    my x5 for example needed new leather seat covers to which the dealer said had
    to be fedexed over night from nj. we were given a milano suv loaner(only because
    i wanted an suv & this was the only 1 available) otherwise it would of been a bmw.
    anyway the part was received by the dealer as promised & the service was performed on time for the 65,000 check. hey, and why were you paying insurance
    on a loaner since your insurance would cover it?! we are selling the x5 & will be
    ordierng the cayenne 06. our local dealer has given us a new cayenne to drive for 2 days next week. can't wait! good luck.
    UPDATE:
    OK, so I got a bit more vocal late on Friday afternoon and I ended up with an Audi A6 loaner (not current model) but much better than a Mazda rental and it solves my weekend travelling issues. They said the part was coming from the East Coast and that the parts computer system indicated it had been sent but had not arrived as yet. If it does not arrive by Tuesday midday, I will make sure they are accountable for this and will 'make waves'. It's crazy that in 2005 you can't get a small part in 48 hours for a 5 month old vehicle.

Billy, I bought from the dealer as they did the best price when I shopped around and being new to L.A., I had no idea of reputations. To be fair, they have been pretty good prior to this incident.

Regards and thanks for the feedback Billy.
    steve
  • maukamakaimaukamakai Member Posts: 5
    I live in south Florida and have not found a hookup for the i pod without first having a cassette player. I am going to an Apple person to get better info.

I use the keyless entry system which works very well so I have no experience with the remote door lock / unlock key fob.
  • 2cayornot2cay2cayornot2cay Member Posts: 4
    Picked up an 05 black on black Cayenne yesterday. Somewhat smooth transaction at the dealer after a couple false starts...

For the IPod, I use the iTrip FM transmitter and I love it. It does not have any wires, barely drains the battery and the reception gets an "A". I set it to the lowest station (87.9 or 89.7). I definitely recommend this device.
  • hmunhmun Member Posts: 1
    Picking up my Cayenne S 2005 from the dealer on Tuesday.
    I read all your opinions, and am bit worried about all those glitches mentioned.
    Luckily they are all minor issues, and not an engine related problems.

Keep my fingers crossed....
  • bocabrianbocabrian Member Posts: 17
    I just picked up my cayenne S with the blackout package. I paid the dealer $400 to do it. Kinda expensive, but I really wanted it. I think it looks a lot better. I am considering having the wheels painted black also. Any thoughts - gloss or flat? or should I just invest in 22" black wheels?

The dealer also replaced floor mats and installed two new tires that I had ordered from tire rack. The part that cliched the deal for me, the dealer provided a 2004 black Boxter S that I was considering adding to my stable, but after a week and nearly 500 miles I have determined its not for me (saved $50K). Although the power was nice and the top worked great, I think the interior has too much plastic and although the car looks nice, I would not recommend.

The 05 looks better, but I think I am going to consider the 911 for my next purchase... does anyone here have experience with both the 04 (or earlier) and the 05?

For anyone who is interested, I love the cayenne, it is wonderful. It is everything I had hoped for and more! I have had zero problems and the car puts a smile on my face every day. Its a blast to drive and I have never felt safer in a car.
    Congrats! Heres to many hours of fun and enjoyment with your Cay!
    PS I think you've got the best color combo, enjoying my black/black as well. ;)
    Congrats!! I believe that most of us have experienced a minor problem or two but that is true of all vehicles. Relax and enjoy! ;)
    Boca,
    I guess we are one of the lucky few with blackout trim! It does look awesome on black! Maybe we should start an accessories thread! On ebay you can get some excellent looking floor mats with Cayenne or Porsche embroidered across the middle. These are Lloyds' mats and far superior to the stock ones. I believe the company on ebay that has them is US Speed.
    I saw a painted 18" turbo wheel at the dealer, it looked good, it was not flat but shiny black. I asked the dealer if this was from Porsche and he said I can order it from Porsche but he just painted a stock turbo wheel for display and it looked really good. I think the flat would look dull or faded. I would go with the shiny if you are going to do it. I like the silver turbo wheels, I think now with the blackout trim, adding black wheels would make the car look too dark, but to each, his own.
    I had a 2004 911 Carrera for my loaner which turned out to be for 5 days! Although it was fast and great looking on the outside, I was disapointed with the interior. It had alot of plastic and looked like entry level after being in a Cayenne. Also was not as comfortable. Anyway Good luck and enjoy the trim! :)
    I almost always wear my seat belt, but on occasion drive a few blocks without buckling. The seat belt ding is irritating. The dealer told me they have had a lot of complaints but don’t have a solution.

Has anyone solved this “problem?” I guess my solution is to add another female part and stick a permanent metal clip and use the new part for my seat belt.

Any other solutions??
    As a little off-topic aside, it sounds like they've fixed the 911 Carrera 's interior, although I hope you don't have need of another loaner any time soon. (Inside Line)

Bocabrian, you know we're all going to tell you to buckle up. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Jim,

Thanks for the info on the 911, your sentiments match mine on the boxster. Maybe the 05 (997) have improved the interior and overall driving experience.

Thanks for the input on the wheels, I know a guy that will do it shinny/gloss for $25 a wheel..I may try and if I dont like it, I can paint it again.
    Thanks for the reminder Steve (about buckle up) without your reminders I would surely forget....

Seriously, I just dont care for the big brother attitude. I happen to wear my seat belt nearly 100% of the time, but sometimes for short rides to the end of block, etc.... you get the idea. This type of ding ding ding went out in the 70's ..I thought... .I have no idea why porsche/VW did it here. In fact I really dont care why they did it, I just wanna correct it.
    Well, because of liability issues and federal regulations, I doubt that you are going to find a dealer who will help you disable it. Who knows, maybe some one totaled their car pulling out of their driveway and won a suit against Porsche for not bugging them hard enough with an irritating dinger to buckle up.

I don't think you are going to convince many people that disabling a safety feature is justifiable, especially when simply buckling in will turn the chimes off (but see the link below). Not to mention the stance your insurance company may take if you make a claim and their investigator discovers you've disabled the dinger.

Here you go:

Government should rethink seat belt regulations, report says (Naples Daily News)

Steve, Host
  • rkfrkf Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    Contemplating ordering an '06 S. Like the description of the "sport seat" option. However I cannot find a picture on the web or the dealer literature. Has anyone ever seen one or know what it looks like?

Thanks for the help!
    Hi again,
    It turns out the problem was a fuel tank vent valve, which probably explains why I had problems starting it immediately after filling up with gas. They also did the rear seat belt recall as well.

Anyhow, all sorted out now, only issue is that after I arrived home, I discovered a 1 inch fine scratch on the top of the rear left door... it certainly wasn't there previously, but what can I do?.. I should have seen it whilst I was at the dealers.

Regards,
    steve
  • rkfrkf Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    Contemplating ordering an 06 S. I am interested in the sport seat option but no one can show me a picture and I can't find one either. Has anyone ever seen one (in real life or a pic)?

Thanks
    RKF
  • racer_65racer_65 Member Posts: 43
    I frequently hear mentioning of very expensive oil changes for the Porsche Cayenne. I'm just wondering, is there any reason why one can't do it himself for, say $20? What can be so hard about draining the oil and refilling it?
    Thanks for your link Steve..

The report, written by a panel of 12 auto safety and engineering experts and sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said there is no scientific basis for the current regulation, which requires warning sounds to go on for no longer than eight seconds

it appears that Porsche is violating a law.. or regulation...
    Sounds like it; from other skimming on the net, it also sounds like the chimes in Europe don't go off. They just keep getting louder. So be thankful for small favors I guess!

Seat Belt Reminder Technology

Steve, Host
    my 06 S order was placed yesterday. i ordered the all season tires but am thinking that maybe i'm better off with the performace tires with the intent on getting an extra set of rims along with winters since i live in ma where we get a lot of snow. how much would a nice set of inexpensive rims cost plus a set of 4 18" winters? is it worth it since each set would last longer before replacement. this is the only option i'm still debating along with questioning getting basalt black which might be tough to keep clean.
  • 20072007 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '05 Cayenne V-6 and have wanted to upgrade the options, i.e. panoramic roof, Bose surround, park assist & 6 CD changer in the same V-6 model. However, I have been told by a salesperson that the '07 Cayenne will be refreshed in April or May as a 2007 model. The early Panoramic roofs are S's and Turbos. The next batch will have V6's also. Also, the 07 is getting 280 HP in the 6 cyl (up from the current 247 HP).
    My question, does anyone know anything else about this "refresh"? Links to pics/styling (interior/exterior), performance, standard/optional equipment, pricing, etc.? I just don't want to upgrade my '05 and then be disappointed when the '07 comes out looking and performing a lot better?
    Thanks, 2007
    (I am a new member of this site and a 1st time Porsche owner)
    did some digging & found this outfit called wheel ehancement via the web. they claim to be 1 of the largest providers of porsche rims in the usa out of culver city, ca. i spoke to them & it was obvious that they know porsches. am i nuts to spend $1400 for a set of 18 in rims plus another 700 for a set of winter pirelli's since i live in new england? the rims are authentic porsche alloy rims with a 100 miles or less on them. they claim to buy & or swap tires from porsche dealers from all over.
    Hi :

I think you mean the monitors installed in the headrests, not the DVD player.

there are 2 monitor covers (custom fiberglass) that I got from CEC in Los Angeles....and they obviate the need to cut into existiing rear headrests. But the price is steep just for the custom enclosures....but it was what I wanted..so went for it. They were supposed to fit Alpine monitors...but I got some Soundstream monitors.

My local electronics install guy gave me ,: 3 monitors, custom installation, including installing the jacks to connect the Xbox , inverter, and even a custom enclosure for the Xbox, for only $1400 . The third monitor is installed in the glove compartment.....

I think cutting into the headrest is difficult, since they are rather small and narrow.

But I had one quote of installation at $9000 , including cutting into the headrests, except they could not find headrests that were small enough to fit...

Hope that you guys shop around...you are bound to find a guy who loves working on cars and doesn't mind charging fairly for the work.

good luck
    HI....

I got the $200 oil change too....which included the oil filter,...

but at the local oil changer store, they charged only $29.95 for oil changes and a complete hand car wash.... I just bring the synthetic oil from Costco or you can buy it from Performanceproducts.com ..( you can get the oil filter there too). Then the price will be lower than $80 bucks...
  • speedshooterspeedshooter Member Posts: 2
    Gentlemen,

I purchased a 2004 Cayenne S, Titanium / Grey car two months ago and am wondering if any of you have the same problem that I do with my vehicle. First of all I noticed this same problem on the 2005 I test drove before I purchased the 2004 from the Porsche dealer but did not think it was anything at the time. I have noticed that from time to time while accelerating especially quickly after coming to a complete stop or turning a corner the car stalls for a brief second or two before accelerating. It is a helpless feeling as I do not know if the engine has stalled or the transmission cannot find the gear or a vapor lock. I usually have to work the throttle back for it to engage and accelerate again. If I do not do this the engine will engage after its delay at whatever foot throttle position I have so it can really get your attention when it does accelerate with a snapping engagement. I had it serviced for this but it is still there, not all the time but it definetly keeps me apprehensive about trying to cross a busy street where timing can be critical.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Rene' / speedshooter
  • ethan777ethan777 Member Posts: 27
    it's normal, nothing wrong with your car, i have a 04 Cay S also, it's the same, the reason why this happen is b/c the car is drive by wire, which means it
    is drive by the computer and the computer automatic detect how much you step on the gas pedal then it will decide it either downshift 1 gear or 2 gear(delay time can be 1 second or 2 second, depend on how much you step on the gas pedal), and if you dont want to wait for the cpu automatic downshift that's where the tiptronic comes in. Porsche is not very good at making an automatic Trany(because on racing car who drive an automatic, either stick or F1 trans)also the MPG is not so great is also because the automatic trany is not well designed for every day drive(you can feel the drag when your let go the gas pedal). it's made for the performance if you downshift yourself,
  • jaramabeigejaramabeige Member Posts: 31
    Dear 2cayornot2cay:
    Dear mandyR1050:

Do tell. How is your new Cayenne? Is everything OK? Any major problems? just wondering...

Thanks.
  • thinking2thinking2 Member Posts: 25
    Does anyone have experience with these with their Cayenne. Was thinking of buying these given the amount of storage in the Cayenne. Are they of good quality? Useful? Easy to use?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
    I purchased thru ebay a pair of Porsche OEM roof rack lockable transport system for my Cayenne, I like these because you can remove them if you wnat as well as adjust them on the Cay as well, they look great! I slide them to the back when not in use, looks like a spoiler. e bay usually has new or used on their Cayenne site for $300 or so which is $140 less than suggested retail. :)
  • heaterheater Member Posts: 3
    In 2004 the Cayenne came out with a new feature called a Pre-heater (or Parking Heater). This system allows the owner to preset a time when the vehicles independent heating system comes on and heats the interior and defrosts the windshield. This feature was taken off the market because of homologation issues and is now coming back and I would like to understand if people who have the feature have used it and what is your opinion. This feature is very environmental friendly since it heats the vehicle with the "engine-off" and uses 8 times less fuel than remote start, and produces 1% of the emissions of remote start. Your feedback will be appreciated.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What is that? The dictionary says " To approve, especially to confirm officially"
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    From Infoplease:

ho•mol•o•gate

Pronunciation: (hu-mol'u-gāt", hō-),
    —v.t., -gat•ed, -gat•ing.
    1. to approve; confirm or ratify.
    2. to register (a specific make of automobile in general production) so as to make it eligible for international racing competition.

tidester, host
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    ipod install

link title
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    rfk, I was also very much interested in sport seats (although not at all interested in some of the other options that Porsche loads you up with) but never could find a Cay with any to sit in. The sales guys just told me that they were snug but they never had seen any. I'd love to see a dealer with some Cajones bring in say a V6 with sport seats, stick shift and maybe a sunroof. The thing would sell in a weekend. But, although offerred, I've never seen stick shifts and sport seats.

In contrast, one can find lots of X5s running around with the sports package and the optional sports seats.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Billy2G, for a guy who ground the dealer in Nashua down an additional 1/2% on a special order without feeling tacky about it, you are contradictory. Yes, you are "nuts" to spend $2100 plus certainly padded shipping, installation, balancing, etc. to buy used "authentic Porsche alloy rims" and some Pirellis from a guy in California.

Just jump on Ebay and you will see many, many ads for Porsche 18" tire/wheel packages. Most even feature the 18" turbo wheel for $1200 or so. That is $1200 complete: tires, wheels, colored center caps, mounted, balanced, etc. The sellers all have photos, will ship by UPS (one tire at a time), and you can save big bucks. I bought my set from Dennis728. While I am no Ebay guru, I think that you have better protection with Ebay than a used wheel store on the left coast. For one thing, they don't have posted feedback.

Or, do the real smart thing. Try to pick up on ebay a set of the 17" V6 wheels . They must be a dime a dozen as all the motorheads among us try to scoop up the larger wheels. Then save even more money because now you can buy 17" rather than 18" winter tires. Also as any New Englander knows, 17's handle better than 18's once the white stuff flies.

PS If you are on the fence about Basalt black, take another look at Titanium.