Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Cayenne

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
Will it really be launched on the market in 2002? Or is it really due in 2003?

Is it just a US$60,000 4x4 VW? Will any make it to North America?

Why haven't people been discussing it around here?

Steve
Host
Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The fact no one is discussing it is not a good sign, apathy is worse than polarized opinions.
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    People just don't seem to care about it enough to consider it. As far as talking about it, it gets mentioned occasionally around the more humourous topics (believe me, it isn't flattering).

Besides, a Porsche SUV? Oooh! Strike up the band.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    That there is nothing to talk about. Nobody has seen it, it is all rumors, lots of jokes rigth now, mostly demeaning but that could change if the design and quality is a good one, incidentally the first vehicles that Ferdinad Porsche designed at the beginning of the last century were 4WD, what a coincidence, 100 yrs later, at the begining of this century, Porsche 4WD.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Porsche has been putting out full-time, always on 4WD for some time now. Remember the 959 in the mid-80's?

I agree with others, the new SUV looks like a revamped Audi station wagon. Boring in terms of Porsches.
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    is as silly as Land Rover or Jeep putting out a sports car!
  • sch2sch2 Member Posts: 8
    Most of the Porsche forums (non Edmunds) have quite a few posts about the Cayenne. It is due in late 2002 as a 2003 model. Several spy photos have recently been in the auto magazines.

Most of us who have driven Porsches for a while are not wild about Porsche having an SUV.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    While most would agree 50+K for a true Porsche car 'maybe' within reason, 60K for a Porsche SUV seems excessive considering todays market an other alternatives.

I guess all of us will have to wait and see, then make any comments. Until we can see and test the actual product there is no sense in making any comments.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Porsche fans prepare for powerful SUV

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    Since this is a joint venture, has anyone heard of if/when VW will have a variant of the Cayenne?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    http://suncoastporsche.com/video/cayennehigh.rm

Found this clip about the Cayenne - thought you guys might find in interesting.

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    That's what the critics said when Lincoln rolled out the Navigator.
  • akiwiradakiwirad Member Posts: 4
    I have taken the plunge and ordered a biturbo V8 or normally aspirated V8. Final details to be determined.This vehicle will be a winner for Porsche.The naysayers are living in the past.This is a great market niche (too bad for MB. and BMW.)
    and Porsche will do very well.
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Here are pictures of the new Porsche Cayenne.

http://www.km77.com/marcas/porsche/cayenne_03/0primera/galeria.asp

The thing looks pretty ugly if you ask me.

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    I'd have to agree on those pics. I liked how it looked in the video previously posted above though. Sometimes vehicles look different in person. Hopefully that's the difference, but you never know :)
  • robert_carobert_ca Member Posts: 34
    Personaly I think it looks great. To bad it's beyond my affordability.
    I like the front two-thirds of it, very Porschelike. However the butt of the car is extremely unbecoming. It reminds me of a VW Dasher for some reason...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I can't believe Porsche made everyone wait so long to see this ugly thing:

http://www.vwvortex.com/

M

• mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    I think it looks great and I'll bet you it will appear in the next James Bond or Tom Raider II film.
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    I'm feeling sick!
  • mikeintnmikeintn Member Posts: 39
    I just saw several pictures with performance specs on the Porsche. The performance figures are quite impressive, but the Cayenne is really ugly. It looks like a jazzed up Hyundai.

While I don't have anything against Hyundai's, but I would not want a premium SUV to look like one. Think I'll stick with my Acura MDX, thank you.

MIKEinTN
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I've been a Porsche fan for as long as I can remember, and I so wanted the Cayenne to look beautiful... It's got amazing power,and it will probably still be successful, but it looks God awful!
    The rear is all that I really can't stand about the car...
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    A friend of mine would once say about his dog that "It's so ugly that you love it!"

I'm sure the ride and features would make up for it.
  • kevin106kevin106 Member Posts: 13
    I don't know how they got off calling that an SUV. For one, there's know way you're going off-road in that thing. It's got about as much ground clearance as a Passat. I also don't see the utility aspect, except that it looks like a glorified station wagon, so I suppose you can stick more groceries in it than the average car. I would catagorize it in the same class as the Audi All-road (though that's pushing it), certainly not an SUV. I know that SUV's are popular and bring in good revenues, but c'mon guys you're really pushing it here!! As for the back-end, there's a reason us guys are particular about that. Goes with the turf ;)
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    Everything's relative:

Compare the ground clearance to a Boxster. It can probably even clear speed bumps...

And as for utility, it will probably hold at least one set of golf clubs.

As for the looks, well, um, ... , did you notice that it will carry a set of golf clubs?
  • lbthedawglbthedawg Member Posts: 48
    "I think it looks great and I'll bet you it will appear in the next James Bond or Tom Raider II film."

And hopefully in those movies, they blow it up.
  • wammerjammerwammerjammer Member Posts: 9
    Porsche has named it's SUV the Cayenne, next will be a pick up truck named the Paprika.
    2002 Geneva Salon International de l'auto

Steve
    Host
    steve_, I might want to mention that in the previews for the cars for the Geneva Auto Show, Christian Wardlaw's little blurb for the 2003 Opel Vectra says the Cadillac Catera was based on the Opel Vectra. That is completely false. The Opel Vectra is the basis for the Saturn L-series, as well as the Saab 9-5. The Opel Omega is the basis for the Catera.

I've noticed articles in the past that are inaccurate concerning European cars. Please try to be more accurate.. I wonder how Europeans must feel.
    Please click on the Feedback Form and report the errors there, if you would. We like to be as accurate around here as possible. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    I think the people that will be laughing are the ones behind the wheel of a Cayenne, looks dont count because some like red and some dont, but the beef does count and the Cayenne does have that, the turbo model can leave most cars sitting behind at the stop ligth (5,6 0 to 60) and when designed it was bench marked against most SUV's for off road capabilities like Jeep, GM, ML and performed as well, the clearance is 8 inches wich is about standart in the industry, since is a brand new design it has the latest in traction control, inter axle differentials locks, pre mapped EC controlled differentials torque to a wheel in anticipation, instead of slip first and react later.

6 spd auto tiptronic with true low range and a towing rate of almost 8,000 lbs put is up there in the top boys territory, for intance an MDX is only rated at 3,500 lbs, in fact the Cayenne could tow a couple of them. The size in the pictures is deceptive, for comparison an MDX has a wheel base of 106 and the Cayenne is at 112.

Porsche is not a brand to be taken ligthly, at the track at last count they won more than 33,000 races, more than any other marque, I suspect the same dedication at the SUV business, and no other brand in the world can even touch this feat, a 911awd 1,2 win at Dakar, the only modifications were to raise the clearance, as a matter of fact most SUV makers never had a win there, most never even finish.

NEGATIVES; All my coments are based on what I read, the specs look good, on the other hand is a brand new design at a brand new plant so I expect some first batch bugs and no tell what they will be until they acrue some miles and time, I am sure the engineers did all the testing and torture and wear they could think of and then some, but from carefully put togheter prototypes to mass production there is a wide gap, lets see.
    If these things are already sold out before they even hit the dealers' lots.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    (drumroll please), they'd have to put it on the cover of National Geographic! If it were a newborn, I'd diaper it's face! It's a keger......
    The Porsche Cayenne should be discussed in the SUV section.This vehicle should be a terrific off roader.
    ps.What is the past tense of to diaper?
    Correct. Most of the Town Hall discussion is taking place in the Coupe,Convertible, and Sports car section.
    Porsche Cayenne - Sports car or SUV

What the heck - read 'em both!

Steve
    Host
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I like the look of the porche. It looks like it more of a sports wagon imo. If had plenty of cash i would purchase one of course that would be with the other 50 cars i would want before this one...
    Metal toad to me.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    I may be slow on the uptake on this styling but my first impression is negative. A $70,000 ugly sport utility or crossover vehicle. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I would bet money that this is not a sales success for Porsche. There is simply too much competition out there and much more on the way. And much of the competition like the BMW X5 is attractive. By the way BMW is coming out with two new sport utilities. Then you will have the very aggressive Infiniti F45 sport utility coming out this fall with a high performance V8. And the Nissan Murano which in my opionion is very attractive. Etc Etc.

Porsche sales are down approximately 20% year over year. They will need a new styling hit to be successful.

Have a great day
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Everytime I see one I think of the Pepper. I just don't see how Porsche is going to pull this one off.
    Looks like the Santa Fe. But the front fascia looks better than the Santa Fe's.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Still looks like a hopped up station wagon. The front reminds me of a gapeing baskin shark. Just a little too weird.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    The exterior of the SUV to me looks a bit strange. I guess it may be one of those autos that look better in the flesh. Kind of like the M-Class. The interior on the other hand is really nice. Very well done in that dept.

Pics are at www.autoexpress.co.uk
    There is now more information regarding the Porsche SUV. on the Porsche website.(You have to register)..looks very interesting!
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Porsche's designers were content to repeat the square box theme common to all utes. They should have taken a cue from their cousins at Audi who give their station wagons such a fresh sleek shape that it doesn't seem pretentious to call
    them by a special name, "Avant".

The other design disaster was grafting the front of a 911 turbo onto the square box. The result is akin to what you'd get if an Explorer rear-ended a 911.

Just goes to show what happens when you start with a really bad idea.

Hell they couldn't even come up with a good name!
    What's the matter with "Dakar"?

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Jeep has it copyrighted. They had a concept Wrangler 4-door with that name a couple of years ago.

Bob
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    LeMans or GTO.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93