Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bigsmokybigsmoky Member Posts: 3
    Dpatduke-- That sounds pretty good. I think our best offer 2 weeks ago for an 09 Touring was $36,100 including destination and docs. Tax/title would be extra. This price was quoted in AZ.
  • bigsmokybigsmoky Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like a good deal overall. We had spoken to that dealer about the same car. Pretty funny. The tour of SoCal dealerships was a bonus, right?!
  • rschieferrschiefer Member Posts: 4
    Anyone heard what Honda's next incentive deals are suppose to be on the 2008 models?

I was contemplating purchasing today but my local dealership still has plenty of 2008 models, so I think I will wait until after the 5th to see what incentives they have next.
  • Aprilgal512Aprilgal512 Member Posts: 4
    My new car is now sitting in my driveway :) Hubby drove 2 hrs each way to pick her up but we got a great price so we did just as people here suggested and "jumped on it". We used Matt Burne Honda in Scranton. Sean McGuire was the internet sales rep. Didn't step foot on the lot except to strike the deal (did first negotiations w/ e-mail and then finals by phone). I am SOOOOO happy! There were no EX-L's w/ RES & NAV w/in 100 miles of us so I thought if I found one it would be gray or someting but my car is Red Cherry Pearl w/ Ivory Leather. Very nice.
  • Aprilgal512Aprilgal512 Member Posts: 4
    If you see plenty of inventory for the exact car you are looking for then I'd surely wait until after Jan 5th....seems like a wise decision to me.
    What did you end up paying for it?
  • zuluwarriorzuluwarrior Member Posts: 22
    Just bought a 2008 EX-L, White/Tan Leather, list 32845.00
    Sale 26350.00 including 199.00 DOC fee. TTL isn't collected
    by dealer in Oklahoma.
    Bought last 08 at Fenton Motors in Stillwater.
    Was in and out in 5 minutes flat!
    This dealer 55 Mi. North of Oklahoma City is highly recommended!!
  • RxB610RxB610 Member Posts: 9
    hi i got a quote for an 08 Odyssey EX-L with RES for $30K OTD..is this a good deal? I know it's late but it's only a 30minute drive to get to the dealer.
  • hondabuyer6hondabuyer6 Member Posts: 11
    i had a quote for 27,300 OTD + taxes, for an 08 exl-with res. 30k seems high depending if your quote includes your taxes and how much they were.
    they still have the car as i didnt buy it from them, it was in GA if you wanted to fly to atl.
    Yes $30K OTD (meaning includes all taxes, reg,docs etc) for an 08 EX-L RES no Navi (black pearl). I'm thinking of negotiating $1K off. I was dead set on $28K but he didn't budge. Told him if it had Navi i would have taken in for $30K.Any advice or is my price fair enough. $28K with NAVI/RES OTD would have been good enough.
    how much are you taxes? depends, if you find the color combo you want and dont want to deal with anymore dealers take the car but i think you could get another 500-1000$ off if the dealer wants to sell the car. What i have found is that some dealers are not really in a hurry to get rid of the remaining 5-10 08's they have left. They are confident they will sell them soon and are not willing to make a deal much below invoice. Others are in a bind and need to make room for new ones, etc. so they are much more willing to deal. Just depneds on how much time you want to put into calling dealers all around you.
    if you are not strapped, offer 500 less see if they bite, if not take the deal and be happy.
  • momoftwomamomoftwoma Member Posts: 15
    Even though we got a great deal...the dealership(HC Burlington, MA) totally jerked us around about handing in our leased Pilot...so based on the principal we walked away. I am so mad b/c I really wanted that color at that price, but they were so shady. They kept telling me that my lease was all set if I paid the remaining payments. I kept asking them for more details and they said that they would give me the form when we picked up that car. On the morning of pickup I called to confirm the lease turn in and the guy acts like he has no idea what I am talking about, they might have to charge me for excess mileage etc. The whole deal was based on my lease being all set once the remaining payments were made, with no other penalties. My fault for not getting the promise in writing, but shame on them for being so dishonest. I'm going to the other big dealer in the Boston area next week as they seem to have some 2008's left. Why does buying a car have to be such a hassle???!!
    Good luck to everyone...I will keep you posted if I get another good deal.
  • iglightiglight Member Posts: 15
    Spent a month trying to find and price a 2008 Touring within 200 mi from the Northern NJ. Found 8 cars at 5 dealers - Long Island, NY (2), Atlantic City (2), Boston (1+1 demo), Siracuse, NY (1) and Newark, NJ (1). After some back-and-forth ended up making a deal over the phone with Fox Honda at Auburn, NY (Siracuse), for a white / tan Touring w/25 mi on it for $31,800, which I cosider a good, but not a great, deal at this point in time.

Picked it up on Dec.30 afer a 4hr scenic drive through NJ, PA and NY. Drive-away price of $31,870, before TTL (out of state). No one else came close. Fox were very courteous, got me out in as fast as possible.

(on the flip side, I would NOT recommend to deal w/ Route 22 Honda in Newark, those guys jerked me around for while not being interested one bit in negotiating)
  • sjc_buyersjc_buyer Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a 2009 EX-L with res and nav in San Jose, CA area. It will be very helpful if you can provide me with the following info:

1. The dealership you would recommend
    2. OTD price you paid for the 2009 EX-L with res and nav in the San Jose area

Thank you,
    How did you go about getting quotes from all the dealers within 200 miles? Was it a manual process or did you use some website that did most of the work?
    just picked up the wife's new 2008 ex-l no res, no nav. Details are
    price 25,950 + 275 dealer and tags + 7% taxes. We are happy, she got the color she wanted (black with ivory leather) and i got a good deal thanks to this forum. Before i found this forum i almost paid 29k for the same model. We had to drive about 200 miles to pick it up but saved 3k. I spent about a week researching and doing look ups. What i did was goto cars.com and did an advanced search for the model year and make with the color she wanted. Printed that out and started making calls. I told each sales guy what my best offer was so far and asked if they could match or beat it and that i was buying in the next 3-4 days and didnt care if i had to drive to pick it up. I called about 12 dealers and each time the price kept getting better, though some just said, thats a hell of deal you should go with the other guy. Took some time but in the end i feel i did my due diligence and saved 3k for spending a day on the phone.
    good luck , i wonder what the deals will be after the 2nd or the 5th, i was told most of the prices i was quoted only good until the 2nd.
  • acurabuyer1acurabuyer1 Member Posts: 45
    The best price that I have received for a EX-L with RES only is around 31300 +TTL.

If you have seen any lower price please share it.

Thanks
  • iglightiglight Member Posts: 15
    When I decided to try to find a 2008 Touring I called the nearest dealer at Teaneck, NJ. They did not have any left, but they were nice enough to run a search on their DB. That's how the Auburn, NY car came up. They said it was the only one on the Eastern seaboard. The Auburn folks told me the same thing.

However, I used the Edmund's "Inventory" search for '08 Odyssey, and it showed a lot more cars within specified search radius; the data is not entirely up to the minute, though. After that it was a matter of calling each dealer where "Touring" popped up.
    what part of the country are you in? if you give me your email i will email you 1 that i had a quote from in GA. for 27,300 OTD + taxes.
  • buyvan1buyvan1 Member Posts: 5
    Is the price 27,300 for 2009 EX-L with RES and NAV? which dealer is this from in GA?
    When you say OTD (out of the door), what does it include on it?
    no sorry, i just noticed your heading for the 2009, most of us have been talking about the 2008 lately. My quote was 27,300 + taxes for the 2008 ex-l with res. i think you are better off waiting a week or two on the 09's as they will be changing the incentives soon. that priced included evertyhing except your county's taxes, which will be different everywhere. (it was black btw, with ivory interior). If you still want the dealers name post your email here and i will send you the name.
  • buyvan1buyvan1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the clarification. Will wait for couple of weeks before going for 2009 model as suggested.
    any ideas on possibly what the incentives will be? wishing for $3500 cash back 0%apr 60months :)
  • zinc1191zinc1191 Member Posts: 3
    Just saw quite a lot of posts on EX-L. I am currently driving a 06 EX and quite happy with it. Just wondering any pros or cons to choose a 08 or 09 EX-L instead of a EX?
  • salesizmynamesalesizmyname Member Posts: 3
    you get a lot more features on the ex-l for the little price difference of the ex. and you also get better re-sale value if you ever try to sell the car go with an ex-l all day long. there are still some specials on the car for the next couple of days depending in what area you live in as well
  • bibbabibba Member Posts: 6
    Sorry for the delay in response. When I cancelled the policy I bought at the dealership I told him it was because I found the deal online. Without my saying which website he asked if it was the dealership its sold through by name. He claimed they sell them below cost to bring in sales, but that makes no sense to me as they sell warranties to people out of state.
    I would think that the salesman I cancelled the policy from would have been quick to poit out it was a sham to try to keep the sale. He simply said he couldn't meet the price. I got the same documents from Honda in the mail that my original dealership gave me before I cancelled the first warranty purchase. Seems legit to me. You could always check them out with the BBB as well. I didn't, but if your concerned you could research them a bit more. seems worth it for the money you save. Hope this helps.
  • bibbabibba Member Posts: 6
    Hi MomoftwoMA,
    I think Boston is one of the better areas to be buying the 2008 Odyssey in. I kept reading about the "Donkey Punch" method and just googled it to find that it's basically what we did as well. we ended up with a Black w/ tan 2008 Odyssey EX-L for $25000 including destination. In addition to the standard EX-L package, they also included that all weather floor mats and the cargo tray liner in the price. We purchased through herb chambers which had a great internet sales division. I purchased the warranty through them initially but cancelled it and bought the same one online from another Honda Dealership (Sarcucci Honda of RI I think) for $400 less. ($1100 for the 8 year 100k mile plan)
    I had no trade in or lease which kept things simple. I know it must be harder for you dealing with the secondary negotiation of the lease. I'm wondering if its not worthwhile saying you don't want to end the lease early, negotiate your best deal, and then say you changed your mind and see what you can negotiate on that seperately. Good luck. The prices people seem to be paying in Boston seem to significantly lower overall. I half jokingly said in a prior post that it might make sense for people to make a vacation out of it and drive the new car home from Boston. Good luck in your negotiations.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Because MA does not issue Temp Plate so it will be 2 trips to make to Boston if buyer is out of State, 1 to close the deal then 1 more to deliver the car after get registration/insurance in own State.
  • zerf1zerf1 Member Posts: 1
    Tampa FL area found a EX-L for 25,400, going for 25K since it seems the dealers contacted all agreed to match.

My question is the incentive change on the 5th (tomorrow), there is ample stock of 2008 EX-L, wondering if best to wait until after the 5th to buy or pull the trigger today,

Any advice?
    It is advantage to wait since things will get worse before getting better in this economy.
  • HomersNewCarHomersNewCar Member Posts: 2
    Looking for any added insight into pricing for '09 Odyssey EX L RN (Leather with RES with Nav)...we have decided to go this path but need some help on what others have paid for this model/combo...any help is appreciated...thanks much!
  • honda_shopperhonda_shopper Member Posts: 1
    Wanted to know how much people are paying for a 2009 EX-L with RES in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. ( i.e. out-the-door price ).

Seen a lot of posts on the 2008 model but I'm interested in the 2009.
  • edgoldedgold Member Posts: 1
    Purchased car for a dealer in Maryland yesterday and I probably did not get a good deal. But here are the numbers:

2009 EX-L RES and NAV (Bali Blue) with remote engine starter (aftermarket) - $32,750
    plus 100 processing, 675 freight, tax (6%), title. I jumped on it too quickly-should have got some internet quotes first. No looking back now.
  • theoxcorptheoxcorp Member Posts: 5
    Maybe this post is out of order here, but it may help someone. I drive 30K miles a year and have traded out of my LX Odyssey every year since I got my first one in 2004. Usually it costs about $5500 plus my van to get the new year's model. This year, as usual, I contacted about ten S Fl Honda Dealers via E Mail looking for the best deal. KBB says my trade is worth $18K, but the highest offer I got for my 08 excellent condition 29K mile Odyssey was $12K. The low offer was $10K. Yes these offers were against the discounted price of about $24K on the 09 and I know the economy is in the doghouse, but ten grand! I will be driving the 08 for some time. I've always used this forum to my benefit, so I thought I'd share my experience. If you trade frequently as I do, you may want to look at a used Odyssey. The price may be a lot lower than you thought.
  • abreillattabreillatt Member Posts: 1
    On December 31st we pulled the trigger and purchased a 2009 Odyssey EX-L (Taffeta White with Ivory leather interior) with Nav & DVD after pursuing competitive bids over the several previous weeks with 10 different dealers. Final price was $33,410 (includes the $670 delivery fee) plus document fee, taxes, and plate transfer.

We could have purchased it for about $400 less but we opted for the closer dealer who also happened to be a better overall sales experience. Took the 1.9% financing from Honda.

Since found out that Honda has offered a $1250 consumer incentive that was only available for this weekend (Jan 3-5). Likely an offer of incentive from the single dealer who emailed this to me but worth knowing if you're still in the market. Wish I had waited but had no expectation Honda would come through with an additional incentive so took the best deal available.
    Toyota, Honda lead declines in Dec. auto sales
    From Yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090105/ap_on_bi_ge/auto_sales

"DETROIT – Toyota and Honda's U.S. sales fell more than their U.S. competitors' in December, with Toyota's 37 percent decline and Honda's 35 percent drop showing the Japanese company's popular fuel-efficient models were little help as consumers steered clear of showrooms due to the dismal economy."

And later in the article:

"Honda sold 86,085 vehicles last month, down from 131,792 a year earlier but up from 76,233 in November. The month-over-month improvement was a trend seen by most automakers."
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    Hi and congrats from DuPage county on your van. I'm also looking for an '09 EXL R/N, but in blue. I also spoke with a dealer who said there was a new $1250 incentive, but did not give dates. I don't need a new car until later this year, but I'm hoping to wait for the better incentives. Could you please post the name of both dealers. Enjoy the van. :)
  • dsmdsm Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking for an EX-L with RES & NAV, and don't really care if its 2008 or 2009 - has there been any major improvements in the 2009 model? Can anyone recommend a Chicagoland dealer who's offering decent deals at the moment. Has there been any changes in the rebates/incentives from today?

tks
  • SUPERBOAT21SUPERBOAT21 Member Posts: 5
    Anybody know if Honda came out with an Odyssey factory price incentive? If so, does it cover the Touring model, how much is the incentive, and when did it go into effect?

I ask b/c we struck a deal on January 3rd,(last Saturday) and the dealer said there were no purchase incentives, other than 1.9% financing for 36 months and 3.9% for 60.

We left a deposit, and submitted our financing application, but haven't taken delivery yet, so I'm hoping we will 'qualify' for any incentives should Honda now have one in effect.

Please help!

Thanks all
  • waffleswaffles Member Posts: 7
    I am not yet aware of any new incentives on the 2009 Odysseys, but I am hopeful that they will be announced in the coming weeks. It would be great if they announced some new ones today, but it might be too soon after the last incentives expired. I have been following 2009 Odyssey prices for the past month with multiple e-mails to multiple dealers in my area and I have received quotes for 2009 EX-L with DVD and NAVI ranging from $33,288-34,213 (inlcudes destination) plus tax,title, license and "document fees" which range from $119-169. Really this is about as low as they will go and the dealers tell me that they hope Honda will announce some newer incentives as well. I am also not optimistic that Honda will annouce both financing and cash incentives that can be combined. It will probably be an either or situation, but hopefully I'm wrong and my waiting will pay off.
    I'm also wondering but haven't seen anything yet. You should have qualified for the $1250 customer cash back from 1/3 to 1/5. There was a post earlier in this thread.
  • squirreljamsquirreljam Member Posts: 71
    Hi gang, in case it can help someone, I'll break down the deal I struck last night. Having done all my research and been prepared, I picked up the phone about 6:30 pm, talked to the "internet" guy at the closest dealer to me and was done signing papers about 9pm; that includes about 20 minutes to drive over there once we had an agreement.

I'm in St Louis MO. 09 Ody EXL with RES (rear entertainment system - the DVD player) but no nav.
    MSRP - $35,325 (note as of Jan 1 has gone to $35,425)
    Agreed upon selling price: $31,119 (dealer invoice minus $1250 incentive plus $309 in profit - includes dealer's doc fee of $159).

Wrote it into a lease using these details:
    36 months, 15K per year miles
    Residual value 48% (note EXL without RES would be 49%)
    Money factor - .00101 (note this is really good, roughly equivalent to 2.4%)
    Waived security deposit per letter from AHFC (Amer Hon. Fin. Corp) as a returning lessee. That letter also preapproved credit well above what was needed for this van.
    Capitalized the AHFC acquisition fee ($595) - otherwise known as baking it into the lease payments so no money down.
    Roughly $42 in title fees, etc.
    My local tax rate is 7.575%

All this cooks out to a monthly payment of ~$495. Wrote a check for the first month only and was home by 9:30, so three hours completely start to finish with essentially no stress at all.

A couple notes on the above: The price is about $100-$150 higher than I had in mind but being comfortable in general with my numbers, I was fine with it. A buck fifty spread over 36 lease payments isn't worth grinding over. As to the $1250 incentive, it (note to Superboat21 - this might help you since you did paperwork on Sat 1/3 - you should ask to see if they'll apply the incentive money - negotiate as you see fit) was a surprise pop-up incentive just for the weekend that someone posted about above - thank you very much, abreillatt. It expired yesterday but I wouldn't be surprised to see some support on the 09 Ody come out in today's program - but who knows...).

Anyway, hope this helps,
    Squirrel
    Thanks to Squirrel, Tonyl1,and Waffles.

Haven't spoke to my dealer yet, but they are suppose to have the car today, picking it up tonight.

I might pull my trade out of the deal, as im having second thoughts on giving up that car. It's only valued at $5k.

If I do so, do you think that will get me any further leverage in the selling price? I'm sure the car will go straight to the auctions, as it's a 2002 with 75K miles, so it's not like they will be putting it on their lot...

Thanks everyone!
  • arinmiamiarinmiami Member Posts: 2
    Here is another deal broken down as best as I could. It is in the South Fl area...after calling many dealers, only 1 was able to do the deal, but we need to wait for them to get a Bali Blue for us. It is a 2009 EX-L with RES.

Vehicle negotiated price was 29,900

Lease basically is $1242 which is basically the acquisition fee, first month, tag.
    36 month lease with 12K miles for $441+ tax. We also got the Money factor - .00101.

Hope this helps someone.
    I've given up on the 08 since the other dealer did not want to deal with me. I ended up with silver pearl 09 EX-L NAV/RES. The lowest i got from numerous calls/internet managers was $33400 plus TTL, i was dead set on it to get it next day for 33K Sunday 1/4. Got a call around 8pm that Sat night with an $32,399 plus TTL, i got home that night with the van. Also, same as the other, the process was quick and stress free. I think we spent more time deciding on the color good thing they had all the color options. Thanks everyone for all your help.
  • nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    I have been told by a few Boston dealerships that effective today through early March there is a $1,250 dealer cash program in place. It is not clear if the destination charge is also waived. If the destination charge is not waived then this program is really poor as it is much less than the 2008's $3.5K plus destination charge (~$670).

So Honda has decided to see what the demand level is out in the market for January and when they realize that it is horrible, then hopefully they will increase their cash rebate program to a more meaningful amount. My guess / hope is that with the economy only getting worse, demand for large vehicles continuing to fall, with Honda's sales falling significantly, with the US Big 3 Bailout allowing for sweet deals on their vehicles and Christmas credit card bills coming due that they will see how bad January sales are and then update the program in February. I plan to hold off for a few weeks and wait them out. Any other info out there?
    neprop

Now is already 2009, Honda has no time to play with 08 model while they still have many months to hope for better sale of 09 model thus less incentive.
    Price: 36.9K
    destination 675.00
    Doc fees 49.00

No additional accessories, just standard items included in a touring.

Thanks for your help!!!
    I'm also thinking there will be better incentives are the year progresses and I'm waiting too.
  • acurabuyer1acurabuyer1 Member Posts: 45
    Has any one seen the prices drop for 2009 EX-L with RES in the San Jose, CA area?

I see some emailing me a quote of 30500. But I am not sure at this time whether it includes the destination charge.

One more observation is that most have stopped responding since this week:-)