Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Accessories & Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Mazda
What additions and/or changes are you doing on your Miata?

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• thelthel Member Posts: 767
    better late than never I suppose. I've bought a couple of things from Trussville and I've been pleased with them, so I think that any unsolicited plug for them is a fine thing. :)
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hi,
    Our 1994 red is the Base package (not even power steering, although we both like it).
    The 1st owner had added:
    ~ A/C
    ~ Sony 10-disc CD changer
    ~ Miata logo floor mats
    ~ TSW alloy wheels

Since our ownership, we have added:
    ~ Atlantic Design Window Protector
    ~ Silver Vinyl Vent Rings
    ~ VooDoo Satin Spun Shift Knob
    ~ VooDoo Satin Spun Brake Grip
    ~ Sony Cassette Receiver & CD Changer Controls
    ~ Pioneer 3-way Door Speakers
    ~ Audiovox Prestige 2-way Headrest Speakers
    ~ Audiovox/Rostra Cruise Control
    ~ Window Tint
    ~ Door Accent/Dash Strips in Brushed Aluminum
    ~ Removed Front Tie-down Hooks
    ~ Oris Windstop
    ~ OEM Front & Back Mudflaps
    ~ WOLF Car Bra
    ~ Collapsible Cup Holder
    ~ Light 'Minder
    ~ Cockpit Cover
    ~ Replaced center console that had broken lock with a lockable one

Whew, base package no more, eh? As for what will be next, not too much left, as we don't autocross, and the power/fun of this car is just fine. Just give us curvy roads and/or great scenery any day.
    The hubby does like the looks of those low-profile headlights, though. They are quite expensive, but maybe one day....

Beth
    http://convertiblencats.homestead.com
  • brauchbrauch Member Posts: 19
    Where did you buy your interior trim parts? Looking at the pictures on your website you really did a classy job! I'm a recent Miata buyer and am already starting to think about some interior customization. I'd appreciate any advice!
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

Thanks for the compliment and for looking at my site. I think what we've added has really made our little base model alot nicer, too.

I got the VooDoo satin spun shift knob & brake grip online from Dealer Alternative, I think.

http://www.dlralt.com

If not there, then the Voodoo stuff can be found at various other Miata vendors here:

http://www.miata.net/marketplace.html

I have been very happy with the VooDoo items.

The vent rings were very inexpensive and I got them from R-Speed when we lived in Atlanta.

http://www.rspeed.net

These vent rings are not "real", but are just cut from a silver colored vinyl. They have held up great, though, and match the Voodoo knob & brake nicely. They only cost about $9.

The brushed aluminum strips I got online at http://www.autodash.com I had very good luck with them when I ordered a wood dash kit for our Sebring Convertible, & was quite pleased. The faux wood pieces have held up perfectly in the sun and heat.

The brushed aluminum strips are very nice and heavy, so I am assuming they are the real deal. The only problem is that they are not quite the same shade as the others. I also think the sun has yellowed them somewhat. My husband doesn't see much difference, although I do. Anyhow, if you add to your car, be sure that the colors match up well enough if you get them from different places.

Good luck. LMK if I can help further.

Beth

http://convertiblencats.homestead.com

• bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    Chrome vent rings, $65.00 R Speed. Looks great.Chrome dash susurroundnd shift surround. Both for $65.00. perfectimagecreations.com. Look super. Nardi shift knob and brake handle from Miata dealer.$59.00 and $89.00. Painted mudguards at four corners, $130.00 but not installed yet. Wife says, "no more"!
  • bikezzbikezz Member Posts: 3
    Where is the best deal on a replacement Miata top? I really just need the back window, but it seems you can get a whole new top for not so much more.
    I've seen some companies on ebay, but don't know if their tops are good. A glass rear window would be nice, too, eh?
    Thanks
  • bjrichbjrich Member Posts: 125
    Find a small trim shop, Negotiate with him, and get a Robbins Top, Have him order it directly from Robbins, not from a dealer and figure two or two and a half hours labor. For their premium, black , sunfast top with a glass you will probably have to pay $500.00 or more. Plus his installation charge. I bought one and paid $550.00 including shipping. The shop put on for me for free. you will be so satisfied with this top that it really is worth having, even for more money.
  • jsiwulichjsiwulich Member Posts: 2
    Hi. Does anyone have an easy way to remove the front tie-down hooks? I have a 2001 Miata, and I want to install a grill to keep large debris away from the radiator.

Thanks,

John
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Aren't there just four bolts holding the tie down on?
  • nativetex44nativetex44 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a front license plate for my Miata? I would like to have one with the Mazda logo similar to the ones you might see on BMW's with the BMW logo. I have a regular plate on the front, but I don't like what it looks like on my little sports car.
  • the_bluepotatothe_bluepotato Member Posts: 5
    nativetex44 - try www.mmmiata.com or www.mossmotors.com.

You can see much more at http://www.miata.net/marketplace.html

-Peter/Atlanta

www.rspeed.net

www.thebluepotato.net

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Mods?

* Advanced Timing to 14 degrees
    * front strut tower brace (RActive)
    * lower chassis brace (home-made)
    * removed tow hooks front and back
    * removed sun visors (useless)
    * added door sill guards, plastic
    * lifted front of seat track about 1/2"

Not a long list, but I wanted to keep it stock, invest as little as possible.

-juice
    Forgot a couple:

* E-codes headlights with Hella H4+30 bulbs
    * Highway Blaster horn

-juice
  • engprofengprof Member Posts: 9
    Thinking about buying a '97 Miata. How long do the tops last? Will I probably be looking at replacing one that is five years old?
  • kymikekymike Member Posts: 115
    It all depends on how the top was amintained, was it kept down (and out of the elements) for most of its life, etc. The tops in general seem to last for a good period of time if well maintained. The plastic rear windows will age and get foggy, but again, properly maintained (cleaned and polished regularly) or kept out of the elements, will last for a while as well.

These little cars are almost bulletproof. You will certainly enjoy your new car!
    Thanks, kymike. What about lighter tops as opposed to black ones? Are they harder to keep looking good?
    I currently have a black top. My previous Miata had a tan top. The tan top must be cleaned more often as it shows dirt much easier than the black. If you are one who keeps up with exterior maintenance on a regular basis, you probably won't have much problem keeping it clean.

I am a big proponent of using a cockpit cover to keep dirt, sunlight, etc. out of the cockpit when the car is parked. The cover sold by Crazy Red even fits when the top is up. This is cheap insurance to keep your top looking good. They are not waterproof, so you need to keep an eye on the weather or park indoors if you don't have the top up under the cover.
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    An upholstry shop just told me to avoid installing a replacement top on my 1992 that has a glass rear window. He says the glass is heavy and must absolutely be unzipped when putting the top up and down. If you have a 1999 or newer Miata, you can replace the original top with a top that has a smaller glass window that goes up and down with the top, hence more convenience. Is all this true?
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    I wanted to have a cool sounding air horn installed on my Miata. Any suggestions out there? Electric or compressed air? Dual tone, triple, etc.? It's a tough purchase unless you've had a chance to hear the specific one you're shopping.
  • theosmomtheosmom Member Posts: 3
    I do not have the luxury of a garage. Now that winter is here, I want to protect my new baby ('99 Miata). Where can I find a car cover at a good price?
  • paulctpaulct Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased a 1993 Miata and there is no owner manual in the car. Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual? Thanks
    Your dealer should be able to get one for you. They are quite often available on ebay as well.
    a friend was showing me an inexpensive fabric contraption that stretched the width of his car just behind the seats and is supposed to keep noise down. Does anyone know what I'm speaking of? Any recommendations?
    Wind buffers, IIRC?

I test drove a newer Miata that had one, and I dunno, it kind of takes away from the open air experience. I thought I'd want one but honestly now I don't.

-juice
    Moss Motors - www.miatamania.com - carries those. They help a little bit with wind and wind noise, but not enough for me to buy one again.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    www.windbaffle.com

It is kind of pricey, $180.00. I like that it is clear, but do not like that you have to wrap a strap around the seat.
  • wellsstwellsst Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used hardtop for my Miata that has a defroster. I plugged it into the wire harness located near the package shelf but I'm wondering, how do I turn on the defroster? Do I need to have a button retro-fitted or does it come on when I turn on the front defroster?
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    What year Miata do you own? In the 1999-2004 Miatas, the defrost switch is to the right of the fan control on the HVAC panel. Not sure about earlier models.
  • 03w803w8 Member Posts: 6
    For post a couple of years ago on windblocker, this message may be way overdue. I have a '95 M edition and I bought a "TC windblocker" from a guy in CA. 2 years ago. It is made out of plexiglass. It is kind of funny looking and cast reflections of incoming headlights at night. But overall, it works to reduce the wind blowing at the back of your head and it was very easy to install.

The zipper of my rear plastic window is wearing out (busting). I am thinking about replacing the top with a glass window. Any one has experience with this? Also, who should I be looking for to replace the top for me? I don't think any garage or gas station mechanics would know how to do it. I doubt that even Mazda dealership people would have a lot of experience do it either.
    Mine is worn and I was looking, too. I found it was about $700 from an upholstery shop, plus $100 for the rain rail, so $800. Dealer wanted more, so figure $700-1000 for a replacement installed.

-juice
  • wellsstwellsst Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used hardtop for my 1995 Miata that has a defroster. I plugged it into the wire harness located near the package shelf but I'm wondering, how do I turn on the defroster? Do I need to have a button retro-fitted or does it come on when I turn on the front defroster?
  • crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    The wiring is there under the dash behind one of those plain blanking plugs. You will need to buy the switch & relay. It's pretty much plug & play.
    I'd recommend Trussville Mazda for the parts 800-240-2121. Ask the parts guy which blanking plug the wirings behind & where the relay plugs in.

Edit> Gotta laugh this was posted in Nov. & here I am replying in Feb. ;-)

Chuck
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!
    The chat room opens 15 minutes before the scheduled chat time, so come early and get a good seat! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • rickey1369rickey1369 Member Posts: 1
    Mariner Blue Hardtop wanted for 1990 Miata, hopefully near Atlanta. Good condition is important.
  • mike91mike91 Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased a 1991 Miata, the rear wheels are leaning in. What is the cause of this? How much will it cost to repair? Can someone with average mechanical skills make this repair and will it require any special tools?
    Sounds like it just needs an alignment.

-juice
    I would have the alignment checked, if you are worried about this. However, this may just be an aggressive alignment setting if the previous owner autocrossed or just wanted to suspension fine-tuned to his driving habits.
  • mike91mike91 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice, I will have the alignment checked
  • jaspergajasperga Member Posts: 2
    2006 MX-5 GT with Advanced Keyless Entry has a function that will Autolock the car when the driver moves out of operational range (smart card in his pocket). This function is Deactivated initially and the owners manual states that it can only be changed to Activate by an Authorized Mazda Dealer. Can anyone explain the procedure to Activate this feature without me driving 100 miles to a dealer.
    thanks...
  • johnchunjohnchun Member Posts: 20
    April05=04MiataTurbo $21k=out The Door. Added $1500/100k mile warranty after driving on my own for about 1000 miles! I'm a real estate investor that does 5000 miles a month :shades: This car has been to California, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, & Florida in 7 months of driving :P . Been to 18 countries while the Miata sat in storage 3 months & 1 month Hawaii fishing & Surfing. Had 3 flat tires while driving the Hurricane Damaged States and at 32k got a set of Falkin Japanese tires! Add 1 more Flat=4 in 36k miles in 7 months ;) I’m 99% happy with this car! Sold my S-Class Mercedes, 3 motorcycles and Dodge Ram truck! Only 1 issue, loose drivers window! Every 3000 miles, I have changed my Mobil1(10-30) Oil & filter @ Walmart! $38! Average 29 to 35 miles per gallon! Wow! Entered any issues on the MazdaOwners Web page register too! Added items: KnAirfilter, trailer hitch for bike & single jet ski, 30k changed Trans/Diff Oils 2 Synthetic, Alarm, Led Dash Flasher, steering wheel Club, Laser Radar Detector, Magellan Color Gps+12V power + notebook communication Cable, 3 pound Sony Viao notebook for mapping, 12V-AA Battery Charger, Usb-cam & Canon digital cameras, 12V-Sony power supply, 12v-Nokia Charger, 3plug12v powerBar, 12v-Solar trickle charger (while I travel to other countries I leave this charging the battery through the back glass window), Hp4215 4in1 color printer+copier+scanner & fax(4lbs) for legal documents/real estate paralegal, 2 deer whistles… I flipped the tire over & removed the carpet & board! Adds 25% trunk space! Since the car is so small! I added a "neon Green Glow Bar" to my wind breaker that faces back! That stops 3 lanes of traffic behind me at night! The only item I would like is a set of HID 10,000K lights for the low beams! Ebay has them for $240 with a 1 year warranty! After shopping the Hurricane States of Tx La Ms Al Fl, I think Texas and Mississippi offer the best investments! I’ll try to buy about 20-30 properties in 2006 & break 75,000 miles too! I have photos here too :)http://spaces.msn.com/members/repo4sale/
  • johnchunjohnchun Member Posts: 20
    5000ft+ elevation was the benefit! :shades:
  • camthecanuckcamthecanuck Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2005 Mazda Miata MX-5 GS 6 speed manual. I would like to add an after market cruise control for those long freeway trips. Are there reliable units out there? Will they be warranty acceptable? Do you folks out there use the premium gasoline as manufacturer recommends? Premium gas here in Canada is currently about $4.60 a U.S. gallon!!! Is 87 or 89 octane reasonable enough? I of course don't want to harm the car. Any other tips for a "newbie" Miata owner would be appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Anyone have it installed on an '06? Any issues?
  • sturobertsturobert Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Miata and the driver's side floor mat is worn. I bought new ones from the dealer which were factory supplies but they are nowhere as good as my originals. The fabric is thinner, there is no heel guard on the driver's mat and the color, although marked as "black",is gray. The dealer indicated that Mazda is using a new supplier. I have heard the same story from many dealers. There is one pair on Ebay now but I am leery to buy them without actually seeing them. Thoughts???
    Maybe ask the seller to take more photos? Or weigh them, to see if they weigh the same as yours. Thicker carpet would weigh significantly more.

Or go aftermarket, try a place like GoMiata.

-juice
  • dingodrive85dingodrive85 Member Posts: 1
    Howdy. I was wondering where I could get a new top. I've heard of this kwiktops.com place. Anyone know if they're any good?
  • jickybobjickybob Member Posts: 3
    Hey man, I couldn't tell ya where you could find a new top other than at the dealer (if you're looking for either a soft of hard top for the Miata) but one thing I can tell you is that a lot of people need to make sure they keep up on theirs, and maintain them properly with the right conditioners and cleaners! Many people don't do a thing to their tops assuming that they shouldn't need to do anything more than with a hardtop automobile, but the fact of the matter is the top does take some care and they're flat out wrong! Anyways, good luck with whatever you do and I will take a look for some tops for ya and see what I can find! Good luck and God bless!
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Any recommendations? - I have a black cloth top.
  • miata97miata97 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 Miata has stock 14" wheels and tires. I'm considering increasing to 17" wheels with 205 40 17 tires. Has anyone done this to their first generation Miata? How do they fit? Are you satisfied with the look, ride, and handling? How much harder is the ride with these low profile tires? I also want to go with all season tires. Any suggestions on tire and wheel brands.
  • philmx5philmx5 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had a clear bra put on their MX-5? I had one done by the dealer on my new MX-5 but was wondering a few things. First, they only put it on the front of the hood and not the front bumper at all. The dealer said the bumpers are designed to withstand small chips etc. Is that right? Second, I was wondering how these hold up over the years. They say for maintenance I should wash and wax it like the rest of the car. Any experience in this area you wish to share? Lastly, has anyone put this on their car themselves? How hard was that to do? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.