Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rio5

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Actually, the 1.5 liter engine is a Kia-made engine. It is their own design. The new 1.6 liter in the 03 models is Hyundai's Alpha engine. This engine is Hyundai's own design. Kia does not use Mazda-designed engines in their cars anymore (I'm not totally sure where the Sportage's 4-cylinder comes from) and hasn't used them since 1997. Hyundai no longer uses Mitsubishi-designed engines. They stopped using them with the redesign of the Sonata in 99.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    IS still a Mazda engine. It's a FE3 Block, with a head of Kia's own design. This engine was used in the Mazda Truck, The B2000, if I'm not mistaken.
  • aut2noaut2no Member Posts: 3
    Right now I'm looking for a new car and it looks like it's going to be a Rio RX-V (Cinco).
    I'm having problems deciding between a 2002 or a 2003 (so far it looks like the later), and finding add ons and upgrade parts for it on the net.

Can any one out there help me?
    Well, if you want a lower price, go for the 2002. The 2003's will have I believe a 8% increase in price.

If you want looks, and power, go for the 2003. It's got the new redesign, and a new Engine with a 10% increase in power.
  • aut2noaut2no Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advise but I've already got the 2002. It was C$2000 less and it was on the lot with in 3 days.
    The more power would be nice, and as far as I can tell it may be a better engine (Hyundai used it for years). I am happy with the zip that it does have however. To be honest... I like the looks of the 2002 better.
    Even thogh comparitevly the 2003 is superior I am quit happy with my car.
    But once again, thanks.
  • bigmusclepaulbigmusclepaul Member Posts: 9
    Hey everyone, I'm considering buying a new 2003 Kia Rio RX-V conv. package (different from the 2002 models). Looks like a good deal at $16,150 CDN (5 sp., a/c, pw, pdl, pm, cd, alloys, roof rack), and Kia of Burnaby (Vancouver Metro area)is throwing in 5 years scheduled maintenance (oil changes, brakes, exhaust, tune-ups, even wiper blades) to match the warranty. I'm jumping from a 2001 Volvo S60 (lost it - and lots more - in the divorce...) Should I jump?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    For more feedback, you should also post (copy/paste) your question in our Help me select a Wagon discussion. Good luck. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    it bigmusclepaul! Question: is this a Rio wagon(Rio Cinco) or a version of the Rio sedan? A sedan with several new options included as part of the package?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• bigmusclepaulbigmusclepaul Member Posts: 9
    In the US it's called the Cinco, in Canada it's simply the RX-V. However, equipment levels are different in Canada, and the 2003 RX-V conv. pkg includes alloy rims, roof rack, fog lights, power windows, mirrors and door locks, cd player and keyless entry
  • ggrioggrio Member Posts: 1
    First let me say that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my Rio Cinco! We bought her at the end of June '02 and I've never been happier. I have had a couple minor trim issues but now it's got a new trick. It's stalled out twice on me. Both times at or near a stop (crawling on LA fwy & at a stop sign). I have never ever had a new car and this scares me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of this happening. 'She' has an appointment on Monday.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Refreshing this topic-

Some of you have had your Rio Wagons for a while now and I am just about to get one myself.

Some of these posts have been amusing, but I can take it wih a smile. I know that this car is no BMW, and I know it contains very little in the way of performance - these are not things I'm looking for in the car, I know it's not possible at this price. So lets look at things in a more realistic sense.

What problems have you had? I'm talking about big mechanical problems like engine and tranny, small glitches like windows, seals, squeaks and rattles, or even little things like knobs falling off or paint pealing. What has gone wrong with your KIA Rio? If nothing has gone wrong then I want to here that to, but please be honest, you can like your car and still admit the problems - no car is perfect. Thanks!
    While you're waiting here for feedback, you may want to check out the Consumer Ratings for the Kia Rio Cinco in our New and Used vehicle guides. Look for a direct link to the Kia Rio new/used vehicle information guides in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page.

Also, you can check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide for other information (i.e. possible tsbs/recalls) on this vehicle. Good luck. And please keep us posted on your decision.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    To all owners passing through here-

Anyone care to share some details about your Kia Rio Cinco? Perhaps we can get a little activity in here. For those interested, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.
    2. MPG & Driving habits.
    3. Any additional accessories & mods?
    4. Maintenance issues to date.
    5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?
    6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other Kia Rio owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Who's game?

Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Anyone?
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    We need to get the 3.5 Liter V-6 from the SEDONA into the CINCO.
    This would pickup the pace a little bit.

the CINCO wagon with 195 HP would be very noticable by the import tuner community.

I drive a SEDONA and if that more was in a 2300 lb car instead of a 4700 lb van that would be really fun.
    Nice idea though, but due to space, I'd rather have the SRT-4's engine stuffed inside. :-)
  • rwiegelrwiegel Member Posts: 2
    I read the 03 1.6 is hyundai made . Any one know who builds the auto trans? like the car 700 miles no problems.
    Is a Kia engine. I don't know about the tranny, it could be a Kia or Hyundai transmission.
  • rwiegelrwiegel Member Posts: 2
    It seems that compressing the weather seal causes pressure on door latch. I am afraid I am going to break the outside door handle. I tried to adjust the strikers but they are fixed. Any one else have this problem and does it go away after the seal takes a set? The cinco has 1000 miles now still pleased.....
  • rwiegel1rwiegel1 Member Posts: 1
    After some searching the trans in the rio is mazda type has been in service for ever. I feel confidant in my cinco knowing the engine/trans combo is solid. The size is great easy to park. There is enough space in back with seats down to take a nap.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    HOSTS, can we rename this "Kia Cinco" as that is the official name for this wagon? I know it is Rio Cinco that sounds so clunky just like Corolla Matrix or Camry Solara. I know they name these to tally sales to the original name.
    I see a new class coming-subcompact wagons! :)
    There is not going to be a V6 in a subcompact wagon all about value. Especially not a 3.5 for goodness's sakes. I agree a more powerful four cylinder should be optional.
  • samfr44samfr44 Member Posts: 2
    Just thought I would share my experiences with my Kia. (actually my wife's)
    When My wife decided to get her drivers license in 1999, at 40 years old, I wanted her to learn and have a new car if possible. To make a short story shorter, after looking around, we decided to buy a Sephia. We bought a 1998 demo with a touch over 8000 miles on it. Really have not looked back since.
    This is not to say that we have not had a few problems, but for a car that we paid 10000 dollars for, no real complaints.
    Things like the brake valve, and an electrical problem were the biggest problems. I believed that the brakes were just undersized. Still, the car has almost 80000 miles on it and we just have not put much in it at all. Another problem has been the paint. I really don't much like it.
    Well, my job has changed and made a move necessary that is two hours away from our home. My wife has finally moved up with me and we have closed down the home until this stint is over.
    My wife is a nurse and has decided to keep her foot in the door where she was working, so two times a month she makes the drive and works there.

Well we decided that maybe it was time to think about replacing her Sephia. We looked around and finally drove a Cinco. We are buying another demo, 2002 with 9700 miles on it. Great price. Nice little car. Not as much power as I would like, but somewhat better than her Sephia. Paint is much better and the details are just fine. Good room inside, comfortable seats, nice accessory layout.
    We just got the car, and I probably won't drive it much, but I will keep updates as time permits.

Just so you all know, I have read all the information about how bad Kia was/is, but I had no hesitation based on my experience with my wifes Sephia.
    I also owned a Sephia(a 1999)and had a few problems with mine as well but those were quickly taken care of by the service department. When my '99 Sephia had 80,000 miles on it I also decided to trade in for another Kia, this one a Sportage 4x4. I'm also really happy with each Kia I've owned and feel that they deliver on value, which is exactly why I buy them in the first place. I sat in a Rio Cinco but my wife immediately poo-pooed that idea as her heart was set on the Sportage. I would've honestly settled for either. Oh, BTW, good for your wife for not quite leaving her job just yet. Nurses are currently in HUGE demand and the problem is getting worse according to a Reader's Digest article I just read. I'm sure her work appreciates it. I'm currently being trained in another Allied Health field, that of Respiratory Therapy, also in big demand. Enjoy your Kia!

• samfr44samfr44 Member Posts: 2
    iluvmysephia1, Was not sure if this board was still active, but glad it is.
    My wife has had her new Cinco now for a week, and has just fallen in love with it. (maybe she won't put so many dings in this one).
    Of course, I have not driven it since the test drive, so I am pretty sure she likes it.
    At any rate, thanks for the words.
    Sam
    samfr44 - Welcome to the Wagon's board, and thanks for your detailed notes. We look forward to hearing more about your wife's new Rio Cinco. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Message Boards
  • sakowskisakowski Member Posts: 1
    I changed oil for the first time on my Rio Cinco 03 and let out the gear oil by mistake - now I need to add more.

How do I take out the fill cover? I see it - there is a bolt - must I take the bolt off or does the fill cover just pop off? I sure this is simple but I don't want to break something trying. Thanks for any help! (My email is sakowski@cheqnet.net ).

Mike
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Actually, if anyone has an answer - please post here rather than emailing so we all have the information.

Thanks!
  • ethomas4ethomas4 Member Posts: 10
    Hi from a Cinco owner .
    We bought the little car new 21 months ago and I have to say all has been well so far . The brakes are an upgrade over the Rio and will stop very well . Sad that cruise control is not offered but it is a commuter car that would only get to use cruise briefly anyway .
    Now with 25k on the car it has never gave a hint of problem but early when the motor was breaking in it was killing conventional oil through analysis and the decision was made to use Mobil synthetic 10/30 year round and now it will go 6500 miles on it's tiny 3.2 quart sump capacity without worries as compared to really hurting SL GF3 10/30 dino when it was ran to 3k miles.
    I expect over 200k out of this car. If so , it was a bargain . Fingers crossed !
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    The Rio and Hyundai Accent are to share the next Rio's platform. Has anyone seen any spy photos of what the Rio and Cinco will look like?
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    For all you shopping for a Rio. DO NOT pay to much! My sister just completed a deal on a 03 Rio sedan with power up grade, CD player , A/C, Auto trans, for $8199. That is 4G under sticker! That was with no trade or anything down. It was dealer mark down and 1500 rebate from KIA.
  • pizzadriverpizzadriver Member Posts: 4
    I've had my '02 Cinco for 31k miles & 2.5 years. It delivers Pizza during the winter months.

Front Brakes lasted 25K, much better than my Festiva. It wanted new fronts every 10 to 12K miles.

Everything else has been "warranty work"...wiper linkage, wheel bearing, AC {wrong part from factory} & 2 recalls.

This car is still fun to drive. My dogs {boxers} enjoy it, too.
    For almost 2 years, it was our "road trip car", then my spouse traded in her '92 Subaru for a Volvo V40...THAT'S AN empty nester ROAD TRIP WAGON!
  • newflyer22newflyer22 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my Pewter Gray '04 Cinco in June. I just reached 3K on the odometer. So far, the car has been free of major defects. It has had a few smaller issues. When I purchased it, I noticed the steering wheel was not straight when the car was going straight down the road. It needed an alignment which was taken care of. The instrument cluster bezel began to rattle, which was tightened and has not rattled again. I am in the middle of an 800-mile trip and the car is doing fine. The seat is somewhat uncomfortable after several hours behind the wheel. Traveling down the hilly Southern Oregon Coast, the auto transmission hunted a lot between gears, but that was easily solved with the "O/D" button.

When I return to Portland, the car needs to go in to the dealer for a humming noise in the engine, mostly when the A/C is on or the engine is warming up. Also, the trim around the upper edge of the driver's door is bunching up. It almost appears to be similar to electrical tape. There have also been a few rattles which I have had in every car I have owned. All in all, I am impressed with the Cinco. Despite a few minor issues, the car has done admirably and is an excellent value. It is relatively quiet on the freeway and not nearly as thrashy as I was expecting for a car in this class. I have always been treated well at the dealer and even given a loaner when work required more than 30 minutes. I would have no problem recommending the car at this point.

I have not figured out total fuel mileage, but individually, I have noticed the mileage going up as more miles are put on the car. I was concerned at first as mileage was coming back quite low. It is now where it should be. (Over 30 mpg on the highway)
  • newflyer22newflyer22 Member Posts: 3
    Well, what a difference a few weeks make. Upon returning to my home, I set up an appointment to have the oil changed and some previously mentioned concerns addressed at the same dealership I purchased the Rio Cinco. It is the dealership causing me some concern, not the car. I had mentioned the car shifting (automatic) a bit rough between 1st and 2nd. They said it needed a new transmission. (At 3500 miles!) Of several other items, they could find some things wrong, and had trouble finding rattles. No parts were in stock and about 5 days later, they called. I scheduled my appointment. I did get a loaner although they acted like they forgot they offered it. It is through a rental agency, so you have to be shuttled to their location to pick up the loaner/rental. A few days later, I picked up the car. The car was filthy from some door trim work they performed, other problems were not fixed because they said nothing was wrong, but I still dispute these claims. And lastly, the transmission was put into gear and the car did not move forward. Briefly, the gear selector was severely misaligned. It took 3 attempts throughout the day to get this right. It is as though they put in a new transmission and did not care to check the gear selector. I know things will go wrong with cars, it's really the dealership that is annoying.
  • jojomonkeyboyjojomonkeyboy Member Posts: 43
    I test drove a Rio, and asked the salesperson alot of questions about their warranty, and I seem to remember him saying that any and all Kia dealerships honor the Kia warranty.

Can't you just take it to another dealer?
  • ramazzramazz Member Posts: 1
    newflyer22, u can take your car to any authorized kia dealership for warranty. I had to due to lack of service probably worse than what you had. At least your dealer attempted SOME fixes, mine just blew me off for 6 months telling me to wait till it was broken in.

I had nothing but trouble with my kia rxv with fuel mileage (same car as cinco but renamed in canada, eh) and the dealership i bought it from refused to service me. I had to take my car to the only other kia dealership in my city. They tried their best and at least fixed some of my issues with the car but its still not the vehicle i was promised so i am very turned off of kia. I still to this day believe that the bulk of the issue would have disappeared if they had replaced the transmisison, but when i brought it in to get it done, kia canada apparently refused to let the dealer do the work and gave them a list of little things to replace!!! its really too bad because my fiance and i really liked the car when we first got it new last year and she still likes to drive it... but its gone in 2 days now and im gonna throw a big party celebrating the fact that the car is out of my life. i will never consider a kia vehicle again nor will i recommend one to anyone i know.
    I'm now driving a mitsubishi lancer sportback ralliart. MUCH nicer vehicle in my opinion, though also a higher price tag.

good luck with resolving your issues.

p.s.

Also of note, everyone take a look in your owners manual under the power window section. Kia in their incompetence wired the master window lock improperly. according to the manual AND logic on how it should work, the driver should be able to press the master window lock and be the only person to be able to control all 4 windows. the way kia wired it, once you press that lock, NOBODY can control the windows, not even the driver. This actually seems to be a common screwup from the asian car companies. I made kia rewire it on mine and i personally think people should scream for a recall to make them fix it on all of their vehicles. think about it. Its the middle of winter and 40 below (for those of you that actually get this crazy type of freezing weather in january-march), and your 3 year old kid in the back seat decides to roll down the window. everytime you roll it up they just roll down the window again so u press the window lock button and try to roll it up and .. whats this?? you can't?? man, sure is cold in the car now isn't it? and oh now, some drunken lowlife is trying to grab your kid out of the open window but you still can't roll it up... well darnit anyways doesn't this just suck.

can't tell that i'm bitter can ya?
  • jojomonkeyboyjojomonkeyboy Member Posts: 43
    Hey that is a neat trick - I'm going to go test drive a Kia with this feature and try it out - I hope it works / doesn't work - as expected - I want to see the sales person's face when they try to roll up the windows and can't - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Ha !!!!
  • alp1alp1 Member Posts: 1
    ... And I must say, don't know alot about cars - so don't get all techie with me! I just thought I'd share a few things about my Rio Cinco and ask for some suggestions at the end. I've had my car for about 2 years now. It has 38,000 miles (I drive 90 miles a day back and forth to school). I absolutely love this car! The only thing that bothers me a little is the paint that peels off of the front grill (it's a silver car). I know that these are from road debris travelling back and forth on the roads that I use. My fiance has suggested just sanding down the front bumper (to make it black) and then just keep it moisturized with Armour All. What do you think? He said that "touch up paint sticks" may not work well adhering to the plastic....

Also, I'm looking to jazz the car up a bit. The only thing at the moment that I can think of is purchasing leatherette seat covers (however, my seats are in *perfect* condition - would this cover wear and tear them?) and some silver pedal covers (whoch both are amazingly priced on Ebay!). I'm not wanting the car to go "all out"... just a few personal touches here and there.... so my questions is, what are some things you would do to this wagon?

The ony real complaint (besides my paint on the front grill), is that somehow during my commutes during the day, the inner portions of my 2 front wheels (they are alloy) have expanded in size. Due to this, I lost a center cap on a trip =( I popped all of the others off so that the car could remain uniform in appearance.

So email me - let me know what you think and what you would do with your Cinco?! Hit me at:

big.sky.mind at gmail.com

Thanks guys and gals!
    Amy
  • paulypauly Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know if the Cinco can be pulled behind an RV? and how?
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I would like to buy a used cinco, It's a 2003 with 30,000 miles on it and also 5-speed. Is there anything I should be looking for?
  • ptorsielloptorsiello Member Posts: 1
    I'm in NJ where are you at??? Just seen one also
    and in the town I live in now I've seen one other Sportage, a black one. I have yet to see a Kia Rio Cinco yet. I have seen a Kia Sephia, too, it's similar to the original Kia I bought in May of 1999.

• chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    Is it just me and the way I drive my 2004 Cinco? Are they all real suggish at first the pick up speed? Sometimes when I start off it moves slowly, then it really picks up. Also would it help if I turned off the O/D or should I kepp it on at all times?
  • robspanrobspan Member Posts: 1
    We've had our Cinco a week, and the inside driver's door handle broke when I tried to open the door. Has anyone else had this problem? Otherwise, we like the car.
    Kia Rio5 takes over for the Kia Rio Cinco. It's a whole new design, with a wider stance and side and side curtain airbags standard. There's an orange-reddish one at my local Kia dealer that has a 5-speed transmission, A/C, power everything, for $14,095.

It's pretty sharp looking. I'm taking a good look at it. It may be too small for us inside, we'll find out at test-drive time. I may take the one there at Robert Allen Kia (my local Kia dealer)for a test drive. The automatic transmission model gets 35 mpg and the manual transmission model gets 32 mpg(I believe these are averages of hiway/city driving). Also, the 1.6L 4-cylinder motors Kia installs in them are the new CVVT (Continuously Variable Valve Timing)engines that give off less emissions and get better gas mileage.

Early reviews of this new Kia Rio5 and Kia Rio sedan are very favorable. Thy have been given good press as to their handling capabilities. I also like the sedan(just named the 2006 Kia Rio sedan)and wouldn't mind a jet black 4-door sedan model, either. Kia went for the "European" look with the sedan and I really like it's raked up trunklid and the new Rio sedan taillight treatment. ;)

I am glad my local Kia didn't have the 2006 Rio 5's yet when I went to buy a Cinco. I wound up buy a 2004 Cinco with 1,917 miles. I think the Rio5 looks too much like a "hatchback" as opposed to the "station wagon" look of the previous generation.
    was going for...the hatchback look, more sporty and less conventional "station-wagonish". They both look good, really. chuck1959, I'm glad you like your 2004 Kia Rio Cinco. I like them, I remember sitting in one in 2001 when we bought our Sportage 4x4 and thinking it felt kind of cramped in the cabin. That was the first model year for the Rio Cinco if memory is serving me correctly. I wasn't in there long, though, my wife wanted the Sportage 4x4 and that was the rig I wanted the most, too, so I was very distracted. I may test drive soon at my nearby Pocatello dealer and see how the new Rio's rate for inside room. It looks like it would be big enough for us.

I have a 2004 Kia Rio Cinco. It seems to hit bottom when I go down a low drive or hit a dip. Does this happen to anyone else? Also has anyone got better MPG by turning off the o/d while city driving and turn it back on when in the freeway/highway? I have also found it to have better pick up with the o/d off.
  • peterd1peterd1 Member Posts: 1
    My son bought an RXV last month with 36,000 km on it. When driving down the highway on Monday the front wheel broke off the axle.
    Know of anyone whom has has this problem?
This discussion has been closed.