Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Care & Maintenance

5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in BMW
Well, after 14 months, and 11,500 miles, the computer said it was time for the first dreaded trip to the dealer service department. Coincidently I started hearing a metal to metal noise coming from the rear of the car. When I called to schedule an appointment, I was told that there was a several week waiting list for an appointment with a loaner car. So I took the next available appointment without one due to my concern over the noise.

I had a few issues that I was not too happy about at the dealer that I will share:

One of the wheels had a slow leak, and I asked the service advisor to have the tech check for anything stuck in the tire. They called me later with an update, and told me that the rim appeared to be bent, and that's why the air was leaking. I asked them to take that wheel off, and put the spare on. They wanted to charge me $30 for that "service", plus $240 to fix the rim. I declined, and when I got my car back, I went to a tire shop that specializes in bent rims. When they pulled the wheel off the car, they discovered a nail stuck in the tire. $10 for a patch, and $15 for high speed balance, and I was back in business....unreal!!!

Oh, also when I picked up the car, they charged me $19 for "inspecting" the wheel!!! This, the service manager refunded to me after I called and told him what happened at the tire shop.

They also isolated the metal noise to something wrong with the drive shaft. They had to order a new drive shaft bearing. Warranty repair. The noise went away.......until the beginning of this week. It's back. And now I have another appointment to bring the car back in....again without a loaner, as only "scheduled maintainance" appointments get a loaner.

I'll post my "results" after my next visit.

Comments

• brian525brian525 Member Posts: 21
    Who's this dealer, so we can avoid them... thanks )
  • 5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
    "Life Quality" BMW in New York.

Interesting side note....saw a Z8 on the road today...the guy was definitely enjoying his ride back from "moms"....400hp, and he knew what to do with it ;)
  • tom192tom192 Member Posts: 2
  • tom192tom192 Member Posts: 2
    Oops, forgot the message. Here it is:

A dealer is trying to sell me permaplate for $989. A friend who is a car broker tells me not to get it - it is just the dealer selling me a warranty on the exterior for 7 years. Any advice?

Also, the dealer is pushing the additional year maintenance warranty at $689. I am inclined to shop around - anyone think this is a good idea?

Thanks.
  • jls21jls21 Member Posts: 40
    Hey tom192, The $689 that you referred to in your message - is that to extend the free scheduled maintenance from 3/36 to 4/50? If so, shop around. I am picking up a new 530i next week and am paying $399 for it. Maybe it's more expensive on the 540.
  • monwenmonwen Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have a clue as to when the 5-series body style changes. Some say fall 2002 for model year 2003, some say spring 2003 .. I wonder what it is since there aren't any spy photos yet. Anyone know?
  • 5speed55speed5 Member Posts: 31
    Here is an update to my earlier post (#1).

After being without my car for a full work week (Monday thru Friday), I am really dissapointed in BMW. My car was back in the service department for a second time for the same issue ( as well as a few other items), and I was not provided a loaner. I have owned various other makes of lesser cost, and those manufacturers/dealers had some type of "alternate transportation" available. It was either a loaner car, or a free rental car from an on site company or a rental car allowance. But BMW.... nothing!!!

Anyway, details on the service:

Metal to metal noise from the rear.... they replaced the whole drive shaft this time.

One rear door stopped unlocking.... actuator mechanism replaced.

A regulator inside a front door window was rubbing on the glass as it went up and down, causing the glass to be etched... they adjusted the regulator, and replaced the glass.

On the upside, it is comforting knowing that there was no hesitation in the dealer/BMW replacing items as needed.

On the down side, the rear door panel became a casualty of the repair job for the actuator, and was damaged.... thereby necessitating another visit as it had to be special ordered. :(

And yes,.... still love the car!!!!
  • kleveyklevey Member Posts: 5
    jls21
    my dealer is telling me its $499 for my 2001 525.
    what dealer quoted you (name and city) and do you know if I can purchase it through any dealer?
    Thanks
  • phxbmwdudephxbmwdude Member Posts: 8
    What year and model do you have? maybe it's here somewhere but I missed it.

also, thanks for the info re the hitch--they also have a different model no. for my 2001 525iT.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    My dealer in PA just lost 80 BMW's in a flood, not to mention severe damage to a brand new dealership building.
    I got my extended maintenance at the dealer that I purchased the car from, Dreher Holloway in Stratham, New Hampshire. I don't see where it would matter which dealer you purchase it from.
  • phxbmwdudephxbmwdude Member Posts: 8
    Just read my July Motor Trend, and on the two page spread re the 6 series, there's a little note that says "While the all-new '04 5 Series' design is rumored to be very "expressive", the 6 Series will be even more radical, borrowing sheet metal lines as well as interior features from the gullwing Z9 concept."

So the guys at MT think it's a 2004 redesign--other rumors have said 2003. So let's guess--maybe it's a 2004 introduced in mid 2003 ?!?!?!
    Called your dealer, spoke to the finance person. he was very helpful. He encouraged me to call my dealer (wow-he could of had a sale but was more concerned with me!). I did, they had misquoted me the first time. It is $399. Thanks for your help.
    That's great. Glad you were able to get the extended maintenance at the right price at your dealer. When you got your car, did your dealer offer you a product put out by 3M - an invisible film that covers all front facing body areas to protect against stone chips? My dealer wanted $595 for it. My issue with it was that I've never heard of it, and wonder what its longevity is. Let me know if you know anything about it. Tell me about your car, too. Mine is Aspen Silver with a black interior. Steptronic, Convenience pkg, Cold Weather pkg, xenons, in dash CD, and premium pkg. I have never had so many people comment on the exterior color of a car as this one - I thought I wanted titanium silver, but am very happy with aspen - doesn't seem to be a very common color.
  • MGySgtMGySgt Member Posts: 5
    I/we had been pretty sold on a BMW 525 for my better half. My wife saw a Jag S-Type and fell in love. I have to admit, I like the looks too. After doing so digging and running the numbers I'm getting a little disenchanted/scared. On a lease, the residuals are terrible and there's a lot of switchgear with Ford. After three years it's worth less than a 525 and the BMW costs 10K less. The Jag retails for 50K. I travel to Europe twice a year and can get a substantial discount for European Delivery. I could use a little encouragement from fellow Bimmer owners and possibly some advice on how to talk my wife out of the Jag. I am real fortunate, though. I have the best wife in the world. No matter what I buy her, she'll just smile and say "That's wonderful, dear" and I'll never hear a bad word about my decision.
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    Have your wife drive both cars. That's all it takes. We were looking at the Lincoln LS (very similar to JAG S) and were ready to buy. We both liked it a lot. Stopped down the street and drove a two year old BMW 528 just for kicks (used price same price as LS new). My wife would rather have the used car and so would I. After thinking about it we decided to buy a new 530iA instead, but we had to check out the Jag S first because we like the way it looks also. Still no comparison in terms of driving pleasure.

Just have her drive the 530i. That should do it. I haven't driven the 525, but my guess is the extra power in the 530 makes it that much more responsive and fun to drive.
  • brian525brian525 Member Posts: 21
    Why should anyone compare the Ultimate Driving Machine to a Ford???

Get the BMW and be pleased with your decision each time you get behind the wheel!
    No my dealer told me nothing about it, as a matter if fact I have a tiny chip on the front now. You really have to look to find it.
    We bought a Titanium Silver with grey interior. It looks great. It's a Premium package, in dash cd, convience package and steptronic. I purchased the 6 cd changer from pacific bmw for $400 and put it in myself (I am slightly challenged, but did it in less than an hour, beats the $200 my dealer wanted to install it).
    Such an amazing car. The only thing I would like to do is have the drivers seat move back another 2-3 inches as my right knee seems to be bothering me more as its always bent.
  • pluto168pluto168 Member Posts: 44
    I got new brakes (pads and rotors) on my 97 528 2 months ago. Since then, the brake make VERY BAD squeaky noise. I took it back to the shop twice, the noise still persists. Any ideas on what I can do to get rid off the noise. Thanks...
  • ardanielsardaniels Member Posts: 16
    I own a 97 528 Titanium that I just think is terrific. Moved up from a Ford absolutely grateful every time I settle in. At 6'3" I thought the 528 would be too short on leg room but a knowledgeable salesman showed me the "tall guy option". Power the driver seat way forward and on the right side running track you will see a retaining clip covering about 5 cm of screw. It pops out with the screwdiver so conveniently located in the trunk lid ( thank you BMW!!) and power the seat back.

The back seat is useless now behind the driver, but you will love it.

I have been disappointed by the dealer many times since but I remain thankful to the salesman who knew his product.
  • twinnertwinner Member Posts: 3
    I too was impressed with the style of the Jag, and decided I wanted one. I drove it and I wasn't exactly disappointed, but I wasn't overly impressed either. I noticed that the build quality is a bit patch. The Jag's interior is full of cheap bits of plastic, more than you would expect in a car of that price. The sleek window lines also make for some sub par visibility in traffic.
    For comparison's sake only, I drove a used BOW 5, and I was immediately sold on it. The 5 handles beautifully, rides more compliantly, and is generally more comfortable. It's hard to describe the experience of driving a 5----it feels like a big car when it should, with silky-smooth manners on the highway, and yet feels like a small sports car when you're maneuvering in city traffic. The Jag is beautiful to look at, and a good car besides, but if you drive both your choice will be easy. Nothing drives like the 5.
  • johnstonejohnstone Member Posts: 4
    My service tech just told me that this can be caused by the ridge that
    builds up on the rotor due to wear of the rotor. You either replace the rotor
    or turn it. He recommended replacement because turning (in a lathe) would
    take off too much material if the Rotor has already been worn down to the
    limits. Mine were very near there at 40,000 miles
  • jim525itjim525it Member Posts: 2
    I have recently moved to Atlanta, in East Cobb County. I am closer to Roswell than Marietta. Need to find a good shop to take my '93 525iT for maintenance and fixes. Anybody hav suggestions?

If you are in Birmingham, AL I would HIGHLY recommend Stephen's Garage. Don't have the number handy, but will track it down if someone needs it. He is very talented at diagnosis and does great work for a fair price! I wish I could find the time to take my wagon back to Birmingham!
  • haineshmhaineshm Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1995 525i. Every year that I have owned this vehicle ( 3 years ) I have had to have the tension pulley and base plate replaced as it begins to chatter quite loudly. The last time that I had it replaced they told me that the compressor was tight and needed replaced. I contacted BMW to inquire about this ongoing problem. If the compressor is causing the failure of the tension pulley, it was also causing it 3 years ago when the car was under warranty. The customer service representative claims that the two are unrelated and refused to provide any assistance. If the compressor is causing the failure of the pulley it should have been replaced at no cost to me. Has anyone else experienced similar problems??
  • cl3incocl3inco Member Posts: 10
    I recently bought a 2002 530i. The battery will not hold its charge longer than 4 days without running the vehicle. The battery runs dead, and needs to be jumped started. Interesting enough, the dealer said the exact same thing happened to another 2002 530i owner who bought the same model at the same dealership I bought mine. They tested his battery and it held a charge in the shop. But when he took it home a second time, the exact same thing happened again to him. Now, my 530i is in the dealership today (12/28/01) to review the exact problem. Something is running the battery down. Any clues?
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Can anyone shed any light on experiences with the dealers in Westchester (Pace BMW & Westchester BMW) with regards to sales and/or service? I want to be prepared when I decide to take "THE STEP UP".
    Thanks!
  • halhathalhat Member Posts: 1
    Jim-you should try Massey Automotive in Marietta. They specialize in German autos including VW, BMW, Porsche, Audi(as well as any domestic make). To date they've worked on my VW, Ford SHO, Lincoln TownCar and BMW. Always professional, no games or double talk. They've always treated me fairly and most importantly always did the job right the FIRST time. Their number is 770-971-4466. They can take care of any problem you have.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    My local BMW dealer, Markel BMW (Omaha, NE) has a loaner car policy that really irks me. He won't allow you a loaner unless you bought the car from him. I didn't know this until I brought my car in for service. Unfortunately, I bought my 540iM from a Wisconsin dealer and my wife bought her 323iA from an Iowa dealer. Mine is purely under CPO warranty but my wife's is still under full original bumper-to-bumper. Last week she had a list of warranty repairs (e.g., sunroof wouldn't open, highbeam headlight switch went out) but they still wouldn't allow her a loaner.

Are most or all other BMW dealers like this regarding loaners? When BMW surveyed me after some recent work on our cars, I made sure to comment negatively about this dealer's irritating loaner policy.

Guess it bugs me since my wife's former Infiniti was bought thru a Chicago IL dealer by a Des Moines IA dealer. The Omaha Infiniti dealer gave her a loaner for every routine service visit (there were no non routine service events in the 60,000 miles she owned the car). And we had a Ford product a while back. While on vacation in places like upstate NY or Georgia dealers had no problem giving loaner cars for warranty and routine service work.

As I told Markel, don't they realize people travel, move, take vacations, etc?
  • genepgenep Member Posts: 2
    I know this message is about 3 months late, but the problem is probably the Alpine radio which has been known to short, hence draining the battery.
  • clmnoeaclmnoea Member Posts: 2
    Kudos to Chris BMW and United BMW in Atlanta GA. they offer real-time on-line appointment scheduling for service and lease returns. Make appointments 24/7 www.chrisbmw.com or www.unitedbmw.com not just request but actual appointments. Why don't all dealers and doctors have this system???
  • anar1anar1 Member Posts: 2
    We have been thinking to purchase a new 2002 BMW525 or 530. We are torn between getting the 525 with all the options and getting the 530 with less options. Does perfomance markedly differ because of the horsepower?Also how does the sound system sound?I am worried about getting the alpine system if it might do things to the battery?Where can we get a phone put in cheaper?
    anar1... Look over lots of published reviews from all sources. And then take lengthy and thorough test drives in both. That is the only way you'll know if one model better meets your needs. Drive 'em both on the type roads you normally drive, at the usual times, and in the usual traffic flows/patterns. I'm amazed at how many people buy a car without doing really thorough test drive.
  • alphaman06alphaman06 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently deciding which model to purchase the 525i or the 530i.

I test drove the 530i and I am leaning more toward purchasing the 530i.

However, from an economic standpoint for an additional $4k for 35 additional horses-- it is worth it???

I would be interested in hearing from current 525i owners. Do you have any regrets? Do you wish you would have paid extra for the 530i to gain the additional horsepower?
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    As painful the decision might be, you should make it for yourself. Otherwise, you'll be the one with regrets. From a practical perspective, the 525 makes more sense. Then again, from a purely practical perspective, an Accord makes even more sense. For what it's worth, I chose the 530.
    Check out the October 2002 issue of Bimmer magazine. Cover story on test of 530i plus another story discussing full Euro-line. Bimmer thinks 530i is best all around choice. They raise many good points, though I still prefer 540i6.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    A key variable may be whether your car will have a manual or automatic transmission. From what I remember test driving 525s equipped with each last year, the manually equipped car seemed noticeably less sluggish than the automatic. The 530 on the other hand has enough torque to work well either way. You should try driving all configurations before making a decision.

You may also want to post your question on the main 5-series board, which is less specialized and has more traffic than this one.
  • jfgp001jfgp001 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 530 with 23000 miles. I have had the car for 15 months so I am putting on the miles rather fast. So far I really haven't had any problems. The dealer has offered to extend my maintenance schedule beyond the 35,000 miles for another 12,000 miles for $499. My question is, is this worth it? Does anyone know how much the 45,000 miles check-up costs? Thanks!
  • mkharris01mkharris01 Member Posts: 6
    I would say no. It depends on whether or not at 45K miles you will have an Oil Service Maintenance, Schedule I or Schedule II maintenance. The Schedule II is most expensive and I was quoted around $550.00 for the service at Long Beach BMW. Also, EMA's are not as extensive in coverage as the New Car Warranty.

If you still desire an EMA, consider negotiating for a longer agreement at a slightly higher price. Beverly Hills BMW is offering an EMA up to 100K for $998.00. Good luck.
    Is a form of insurance. Whether it is "worth it" depends upon what you can afford, your toleration for "risk", and the likelihood of using it.

Since the oil service will hit you around 15,000 and 45,000 miles, this alone isn't worth getting it. The Schedule 1 will hit around 30,000 miles and be covered by the original 3yr/36k interval. The Schedule 2 will hit around 60,000 miles, after the extended agreement hits. So what might it logically cover? Besides wiper blades (which you can just ask for before 3/36--which is what I did at about 35,000 miles) and burned out bulbs, brake work is likely the most probable. But whether, what, and when you need brake work depends on a lot of factors.

My wife's '00 323iA needed brake work (i.e., the brake service light came on) at about 34,500 miles. So it was covered free under the 3/36. Praying there won't be any more brake work until after 50,000 miles.

Unfortunately for me, at 36,050 miles one of her rear brake lights burned out. Won't cost much. If that is all I need, then the extra time and mileage wouldn't be worth it. That kind of money essentially just for the Oil Service isn't a good investment. But it depends.

So far, for me, glad we didn't buy the extended agreement. But if the brake work had come after 36,000 miles, then I would've been better off getting it.
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    I am new to this board and in process of purchasing a 2000 5 series and am wondering what is most owners experience with the dealerships after the purchase of thier cars for service ?

Also, I am wondering if it is better to get work done by dealer or would you rather go to an indepedant repair shop with factory trained mechanics ?

If any of you know of any in Silicon Valley/Bay area with good or bad experieince would be appreciated. I could use any feedback any of you may have.

Thanks.
    xcarnut... If my car is still under warranty, then I'll have the work done by a BMW dealer. That includes time under the original 4/50 warranty (b-to-b) as well as the CPO 6/100 warranty. Realize I'll pay a bit more, but gives me a sense of peace of mind. BMW AG/NA can hardly complain if their own trained personnel have done all the work mandated and I have the records to prove it. Also, I assume they might stay a bit better up on TSBs, recalls, etc. that might pertain to my car.

But once car out of warranty, then I wouldn't hesitate to go to a good independent BMW service shop. There is a professional group of them that collectively advertise. I've seen ads for this grouping of them in Roundel magazine. Forget the name of the group. Is supposedly a way to find a good independent shop. Roundel and Bimmer magazines also have a ton of ads from various independent shops. You should see if one is nearby you. Guessin' there are a lot in your area.

Also, have you joined BMW CCA? You should. For the magazine. And many shops, BMW dealers and independents, give a BMW CCA discount on parts.
  • billfalikbillfalik Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 740 and the GPS system is not good. My lease is up and I am thinking of buying a 530 or a 540. The GPS system function is important to me and I wonder if anyone has any comments on the 2002-2003 5 series GPS systems. Also interested in comparing the 530 to the 540.

Thanks
    The GPS system has received a couple of minor improvements since your model, but not nearly enough, in my opinion. While they're finally DVD-based for 2003, the user interface is still the same (i.e. crappy). I believe the systems also use faster processors now. But, overall, they still lag far behind systems from Acura and Lexus, in my opinion the benchmarks for how these things should work. You should check one out at your dealer and decide for yourself. Same goes for the 530/540. I love my 530i 5-speed sport, for what it's worth. The 540 will get you more power (obviously), the 530 slightly better handling, steering, fuel efficiency, and insurance rates.
  • hadihadi Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced this problem, if you have gimme a shout. I drive an '01 540i w/steptronic it has about 21K kilometers on it. Been a dream machine so far.My " service engine" light came on about five days ago and remained on till last night when it mysteriously disappeared. Repeated attempts to "come on" again were unsuccessful. I am gad it is off now but perplexed as to why it came on. Now, a visit to the BMW dealership in Mississauga, Ontario ( while the engine light was still on) had them hook it up to their computer and they came back to me saying it was some sort of secondary pump which had failed, further queries revealed it had something to do with helping the car start in the cold. They set up an appointment next week to replace it under warranty. Now that the light has gone out, should I still have them change the part or do you think there is something wrong here, do I believe the engine light or the dealer assessment that hte part needs to be changed. Don't get me wrong I have no problem changing the " secondary pump", but is the pump really still failed, has it recovered on its own ( hence the light going off) or what. Appreciate som advice.
    Whenever the service engine lights up, it records the event in the engine computer, which the dealer can read and decipher with their computer. There are many "intermittent" type errors which cause the symbol to light up and then go off later. That's why the event is recorded. I'm sure the dealer read the log correctly, and is performing the appropriate steps. If the light comes on again, perhaps there's something else that's wrong. (BTW, you didn't state which pump was acting up: fuel, water, etc.?)
  • hadihadi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input, did not realise that data was recorded, makes sense. No idea which pump it was, shoulda asked I realised later. In any case are you saying that the light goes out just so it reduces the " annoyance factor " or does it mean that the problem does not exist anymore. It is a little unnerving. Are you suggesting that I should go ahead and change the specific pump they mentioned, or that they will recheck the engine ( since the light is out now) and then decide what to do. Thanks
    The light doesn't go out "to reduce the annoyance factor." It goes out if it no longer detects a problem, or the problem was benign or temporary enough (there are different severity levels of problems) not to warrant perpetual "check engine" status. For example, if you leave the fuel cap loose, you may get a check engine light. If you tighten it back up, the light will go out after a couple of days, since the problem is no longer present.

Since you're still under warranty, I wouldn't worry about it; have them replace the pump. I'd assume the problem will then be fixed.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    snagiel is right, the CEL will go off if the OBDII system doesn't detect the problem after a certain number of start cycles. I had the identical problem on my wife's 528i; the "secondary pump" is an electrical air pump that helps reduce emissions on cold starts. In my case I would reset the CEL and the car would be fine for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks-and then the CEL would illuminate again. The dealer replaced the pump and I've had no problems since.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    HI, I also posted on the 5 series board,
    I would love a 5 series, and the BMW dealer has a 1999 528 manual, with the sport package and 60km on it. Also one with the premium package and 36km on it. Both are at 32,900.00 (Canadain dollars) does that seem like a good price? They are both in the BMW Certified Used car program so after about a year when the orig. warranty goes I'd get two years or milage.
    Also they have an ownership lease like deal where the price is halved and half held as a balloon payment at the end of three years, the other half is what payments are based on. My wonder is if in three years when the car is 6 years old, will it be worth less than the @ 16,500.00 of the balloon payment? Upside-down, I think they call it?
    I will have a look at the service reacords since all their other similarly equipped 5s cost closer to 37-45gs.
    Are these fairly reliable. I've read some horror stories but are they the exceptioin or the rule?
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • jjohnjohnjjohnjohn Member Posts: 24
    HELP please! Thanks for anyone taking your time to read my plea for help....well, my "check engine" light comes on every now and then, sometimes for days or weeks, but always goes away..according to the manual, the light is supposed to be related with emissions, but I recently passed my emission inspections, could the light be related to other problems?? I also recently had problems with my thermostat/gauge - it never warms up, its always at the cold/blue range, so then the heater is not even really hot in this cold weather...and the 'REST' function (heated air after car is turned off)doesn't work anymore...could it be related to the thermostat and "check engine" light??? thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.