Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hondaphanhondaphan Member Posts: 35
    Is this a RES only? No Navi? With the sticker, seems like it.

If it is and it's a 2008 and doesn't have Navi, I'd wait. We bought one for about the same price for the RES+Navi version last month with the $3500 dealer incentive. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back. For a 2008 RES EX-L, I don't think it's such a hot deal.

I'd also try selling your car yourself on Craigslist and Autotrader. I thought people would have trouble coming up with cash to buy a private sale car, but we just sold our old 2000 Odyssey (no leather, but factory navi) with 153k miles for $6000 in less than one day - buyer paid in cash (which we checked with a counterfeit pen!). Listed it, put up a bunch of pictures and had 4 calls in hours. We probably sold it for about $700 less than we could have got, but the speed of the deal was worth it. I don't know where you are in the country, but I would think $13-15k shouldn't be out of the question if the van is in good condition, and it takes the mud of the trade-in out of the negotiating equation so you can see what the "deal" really is.
  • swampfox28swampfox28 Member Posts: 17
    Yes, it is RES, no navi.

I'd LOVE to get the navi, too, but don't feel we NEED it (of course, we don't NEED a dvd player intergrated, but after dealing with the portable ones for 2 years now whenever we go on a trip and having a ZILLION problems with them, I'm ready to be a little "spoiled"; dvd players just make long road trips SO much easier and we take a 12 hour (each way) trip at least ONCE a year not to mention many shorter trips (2-3 hours) around once a month or so.

You got a RES with navi for around the same price? Did you mean for around $28,900, or more (or less?) ?!

I think the $3500 dealer cash incentive ends early Feb. AND is ONLY for vans already on the particular lot (right? That's how I read it, but would love it if I'm wrong!) If that's the case, the dealer we went to has NO more EX-L's with RES and Navi on the lot. They have eight '08's, but only one had RES (I'll check to be sure, but I think that's what we were told. I'm assuming the rest were EX's and LX's.) The next closest dealer has NO '08's on the lot with RES (with or without Navi) - just the others. I could try and look further; there are lots in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, but that's 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours away from us and makes it harder (with my husband's work schedule and 2 kids.)

I'm guessing I should just wait and see what happens. I do have the feeling that all the '08's like I'd like them to be will all be gone SOON, and I hate to pay MORE for an '09 when they're virtually the same, but we do have some good years left in the '05...

I am hesitant to privately sell the van; I realize that trade-ins get much less than a private sale typically, but it IS easier to just be done with it AND (at least in LA) you do get a trade-in credited against TTL so you pay less in taxes if you trade in a vehicle. That being said, you give me hope that it might be worth my while to look into it more!

Thanks SO much for the advice abd your opinion. I'm very glad to have a chance to talk to others that have been (or are) in the same boat (so to speak).

-Sarah :)
  • WatergateWatergate Member Posts: 5
    CromOdyssey,

Thanks for your helpful feedback. We did test drive one yesterday and liked it very much from the NOVA dealer you mentioned. I really don't have time/patience to haggle for weeks and will expand search if the #'s don't make sense. Thanks again for the info!
  • WatergateWatergate Member Posts: 5
    HondaBuyer6,
    Thanks for the feedback, you are right on, we test drove one and realized rearview camera comes w/out the Navigation package. Appreciate the info!!
  • mogpodmogpod Member Posts: 7
    Hello, all.
    I'm trying to get the best deal in purchasing the 09 EX model in the NYC area.
    Below is what I was quoted by one of the local dealers:

"MSRP: $30,025
    Internet Price: $25,795 (includes des)
    *Pricing valid through January 31, 2008
    **Excludes tax an dtitle"

Does this sound like a good deal?
    What are the current dealer cash incentives from Honda?
    Any input would be appriciated.
  • CromOdysseyCromOdyssey Member Posts: 14
    Watergate,

I will be very interested to hear who you finally purchase your Odyssey from and the price.

Thanks!
  • krh294krh294 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I think I've decide to go the with the Odyssey after trying to decide between this and the Seinna. I am debating which package to get. Could live with just the EXL w/o DVD or Navi but if the price is right I would like at least an EXL w/RES and I really wanted bluetooth option so could possibly want the Navi package if I could get it for some of the deals I've read about in this forum. So I was wondering if there are in Central Ohioians here to give me an idea of what they've payed for any of these 3 options listed above? I've emailed around a little and so far the lowest offers I have are the following:

2009 EX-L w/o DVD or Navi $28765 +TTL which would be $30982.14 OTD (6.75 Ohio tax)

2009 EX-L w/DVD w/Bluetooth installed by intigrated into the overhead consel for $31237 +TTL which is $33638 OTD.

Haven't yet tried getting a quote on the 2009 EX-L w/DVD and Navi because frankly I thought that that would be way out of what I was willing to pay but after reading some of the deals people have posted here with these options I am now considering this option because I would reaaly like the bluetooth with the Navi.

Anyway if anyone wants to comment or let me know what they paid for these options I would greatly appreciate it before I go into negotiate.

Thanks!
  • Alig26Alig26 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the 3,500 for 2008 Models is still in effect? And that applies to any model right?

Thanks
    AliG
    Yes, we got a 2008 EX-L RES+NAVI for $29,059 (31,532 OTD with TTL) in Northern CA. That was around the third week in December when the $3500 dealer incentive and 1.9% was still in effect on 2008's. I think that ended Jan 1, but I expect to see it back soon for the rest of 2008's and probably some incentive on 2009's as well.

I'd hold out for a better 2008 Odyssey deal (RES+Navi for the price you were quoted for RES only), and sell the car yourself. It only costs about $40 to list it with 9 pics on Autotrader, and Craigslist is FREE, so put up your 2005 at a high-book price and see if you get bites, THEN decide what you're doing. You're probably going to come out $2,000-$4000 ahead doing it yourself, which is a great amount off your payment on the new one.
    Doesn't sound that great for a plain EX (no leather, no RES, no navi, right?).
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    :P $29,059 (31,532 OTD with TTL) for an EXL R/N is more what I would expect very soon in this economic climate. '08 or '09.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Hey,

First of all, thanks to all you are sharing vital information for each one's benifit.

This is my first posting as upto now only on ROM :).

I am looking for Honda Odyssey EXL + DVD 2008 and nonetheless, waiting for a right price.

I am in Seattle, WA and today I got a quote from a dealer in my area (this guy is in touch for sometime with me and sharing the rates, though not useful) for $31,222 OTD (including all charges). He said, the van all season mats, wheel locks etc.

Is this a better deal to go with?
    Hi All,
    Need your opinions, I found a 2008 Odyssey Touring at a dealer in Cincinnati, which has a MSRP 40,645, and invoice of 36,000. When I called the dealer up, he gave me a sale price of 34,000 and he said that's including the 3,500 dealer incentive. Plus it's a demo model with 4,500 miles on it. Is it me or does that sale price seem too high. :confuse: And he didn't seem to be budging on the price either.

Thanks,
    ALIG
    That's about $2,000 too high if there's no Navi and it's a 2008.
    $34000 out the door or 34000 before TTL? I'd ask for a 2 year honda warranty extension in there because of the demo status. Also, does this Touring have PAX? If it does, walk away as quickly as possible. It's a very expensive option to maintain, and you cannot go non-PAX.
    That's the game. Wait too long and the 08's will be gone. Wait for 09 incentives and you may be disappointed. We got about $7000 off invoice and 3.9% financing and that was plenty of incentive for us. We're completely happy with the purchase.
    Well he said Sale price of 34000 so I'm assuming that's before TTL. And it's non-PAX, no way am I getting PAX. How do they take the dealer to cash incentive into play? Is it MSRP-Incentive? or Invoice-Incentive?
  • deshsdeshs Member Posts: 10
    I bought it
    Georgia 2008 EX-L out the door price 27850.00. I also spend 895 for Extended 7 year 100000 miles warranty. Do think its good deal? I am not sure about the extended warranty but I got it under employee program for half the price
    Dear Car_man and kyfdx or anybody.
    I'm reposting my question to you since I haven't gotten any good response.
    I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase price for 09 Odyssey LX (standard) with a NY dealer. I was quoted $25,795 + tax + dtitle. Basically this offfer discounts the MSRP price ($30000) to about $4200 or %14.
    Is this a fair deal?
    If not what is?

Thanks to all.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    Dear Car_man and kyfdx or anybody.
    I'm reposting my question to you since I haven't gotten any good response.
    I'm in the process of negotiating a purchase price for 09 Odyssey LX (standard) with a NY dealer. I was quoted $25,795 + tax + dtitle. Basically this offfer discounts the MSRP price ($30000) to about $4200 or %14.
    Is this a fair deal?
    If not what is?

Where are you getting the $30,000 MSRP for the LX? I think it should be $26,925.
    Sorry, I meant EX.
    Agreed. I almost bought a 2008 touring at 32,600 incl. freight, but didn't like the colors left and decided I could wait. BTW you list 7,000 off invoice, do you mean 7,000 off MSRP?
  • deshsdeshs Member Posts: 10
    Georgia 2008 EX-L out the door price 27850.00. I also spend 895 for Extended 7 year 100000 miles warranty. Do think its good deal? I am not sure about the extended warranty but I got it under employee program for half the price ..Is it fair deal? Anyone
  • userliteuserlite Member Posts: 16
    I live in Bay area and am planning to buy a 2009 EX-L without DVD/GPS.
    The lowest quotation I have received so far is 28.9 K including destination charge.
    Is this a fair price ? Has anyone received quotes lower than this ?
    Any inputs? Thanks.
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    It looks reasonable to me. Invoice + destination ($27,362) minus the $1250 cash to dealer is $26112. So, at $25,795, your dipping below invoice a little bit, which is always a good thing.
  • howdy400howdy400 Member Posts: 7
    I have found a demo oddyssey that has 5000 miles on it. I'm hesistant to make an offer because in my mind this is a used car that the dealer is passing off as new. They said they'll give 10 cents/mile credit, but that doesn't make it enticing at all. I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on what they know about dealing with a demo car and why you would buy it or stay away.

Thanks,
    Howdy400
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Would you take $500.- and let different people drove it for 5,000 miles and feeling comfotable?

Plus they charge you $0.15 (for car MSRP -$30,000) $0.20 per miles (for car MSRP +$30,000) in excess if you lease the car, now they only pay you $0.10 per mile. I don't think it's fair. Demo still is considered to be new car since it's not been registered before.
    Any Ideas (or leaked info) on Feb or March Cash incentives and Financing deals. I'm surprised Honda can keep this as quiet as they seem to be able too. Same with the new Model info. There must be alot of people who already know. :shades:
    Just received a quote for an EX-L w/ RES no Navi for $30,095 +TTL. This seems like a pretty good deal if you take these figures invoice (32,060) - $1250 dealer rebate - $715 dealer holdback = 30,095. Not sure I can get much lower than this unless Honda increases incentives. Any thoughts on this price - seem good to you?

Thanks for any input.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    It sounds to me that you shook all of the money from the tree. For reference here in the Twin Cities we're offering the same van for $30210.00

Pull the trigger :)
    Good points. I've never leased a car before, so I am unfamiliar with excessive mileage fees --> thanks for that information. And, no I don't feel comfortable buying a demo. My thoughts are if the dealer wants to make it a sweatheart deal, then I can chance buying a demo, otherwise, it's wait until the incentives come in for the 2009 models.

From an extended warranty standpoint, I think at 6000 miles the ext-warranty would treat the vehicle as used.
  • swampfox28swampfox28 Member Posts: 17
    What I want to know is WHY Edmunds is saying that the True Market Value (TMV) of a 2008 EX-L with leather and RES (no navi) should be around $25,780?! After reading some of the posts lately, it seems like it is way more.

I had been offered a 2008 EX-L leather with RES (no navi) as I posted a couple of days ago for around 27,500. That's starting not to sound too bad, but DARN I wish it was cheaper.

Some seem to feel the prices will go down, but will there still BE 2008's? And doesn't the dealer cash incentive (which, incidentially I thought was $3500, not $1250!) only work for 2008 vans ON a particular lot? Meaning if you can't find it locally, you're out of luck...!?!

-Sarah
    I should have mentioned this is a 2009 EX-L w/RES no Navi
  • camy4camy4 Member Posts: 9
    since current incentive ($12500) expires feb 2 - what will be next?
    anyone get the "feeling" ?
    i am pricing 2009 ex-l no RES/NAVI
    this forum is great!!!
  • camy4camy4 Member Posts: 9
    correction -incentive $1250
  • iburibur Member Posts: 3
    where did you get that quot.I am in the process of buying my self
  • iburibur Member Posts: 3
    I AM IN THE HUNT FOR AN ODYSSEY EXL WITH RES AND NAV.ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ANY DEALERSHIP AROUND CHICAGO AREA THAT HAS BOUGHT ONE IN A GOOD DEAL
    What Edmunds.com says

Though scheduled for a complete redesign next year, the 2009 Honda Odyssey remains our favorite choice in the minivan segment.

If the above is true, is that means, 2010 model will be all redisgned? In that case, how is it good to buy 2009 model?

Any help is highly appriciated.

Thanks,
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    (Hody - keep in mind, that my response is based on the information that the 2010 Odyssey will have hinged rear doors in place of the current sliding door and the sliding door being important to my wife & I.
    If this is in error - please forgive me.)

I think it depends on what you like about the Odyssey and find a priority.

For example, we were going to wait a bit before buying a new car. I mentioned the re-design to my wife when I first heard about it and she was concerned mainly because of the elimination of the sliding doors. The whole argument about getting a minivan for us was because of the ease of sliding doors in relation to:
    1 or 2 fussy kids
    Someone parking too close to you in a parking lot that makes getting the kids into their car seats more difficult or impossible :)
    The fussy kids and someone parking too close to your car would most likely occur when temperatures in Phoenix would be in excess of 110 or so. :D
    A car with a hingled door would make it harder to get kids into the car and buckled in if someone parked too close on that side of the car.
    To us, it was important to have the best chance of getting the kids into the car quickly, efficiently to get out of the heat. If my wife is by herself, she needs to be to perform this manuever / feat by herself. If we didn't have a proper car, guess who would be getting a phone call of frustration at work because of the fussy kids, someone parking too close and the heat of Phoenix Arizona. ;) ME!!!!!
    The ease of life the sliding doors provided was important to my wife & I. We broke down and purchased one within the last month.

So, I would try and find out what major changes are occuring to the Ody for 2010. Then proceed from there. If the changes are not major, that answers your question right there.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave
    What about the holdback value of %3 on MSRP wich comes to about $900? Should it be negotiated further?
    Holdback is 2% of the base MSRP (before destination) there is an additional 1% that gets paid quarterly to cover fixed costs.

On the 2009 Odyssey EX the holdback is $590.00 :)

Remember, dealers are still "for profit".
  • sjc_buyersjc_buyer Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy a '09 Touring NO PAX and the quote I have so far is

$35,400 incl. destination + TTL in the San Jose bay area

Please let me know if this is a good price or if you have better quotes.

Thanks for your help.
    Thank you Dave. If possible can you point me some link where can I find the more details about 2010 model?
    Update: Just received an out the door quote from a different dealer for this van @ $32225. Just emailed the other dealer to see what they can do. Will be approx $175 cheaper than my first first $32,402 OTD quote. Would like to go with the first dealer since it is right down the road so we'll see if they can beat or match.
    thanks, for your reply. what's the deal (for reference, of course) on this at Twin Cities?
    Hey I'm curious, since I found a few 2008 Touring models available, are there any significant changes between the two models? Any new features that are available on the 09 model?

Thanks
    AliG
    09 is about 500 more on msrp and different front/rear suspensions. Test drive both to get the feel.
    Well, we did it! We went through 3 different dealers, but we got it for $25.9K+TTL. This was an internet price. We wanted a 2008 b4 the dealers ran out of them, and it was starting to get slim picking. Thanks to everybody for sharing their experience, it helped us.

Has anyone used the web to get an extended warranty?
    I got quote of 08 EXL at $25.7K (incl dest) a month ago. Yes, 08 EXL inventory is limited and much less color choice.

Getting EW online is very popular due it saves you money and get the same warranty 'Honda Care' as from your local Honda dealer.
    Our invoice is $200.00 higher then the base national invoice because all six metro dealers co-op advertising (newspaper, radio and web ad's).

:)