Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• sambeamsambeam Member Posts: 13
    Hi:

If there is a 525iA , is it possible to add
    - XENON lamp system
    - Rear sun-shade (manual is fine)
    - Nav system
    to the car in after market?

preferably by auth. delaers?

Does anyone have experience? Pricing? suggestion?

THANKS A LOT.
    Sambeam
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    You can add all of the above, but I suspect a dealer would shy away from these since they're not normally dealer-upgradeable accessories, but rather factory-installed ones. However, if you do find a willing dealer, expect the following prices:

Xenons: Parts of around $1300-1500, 1-2 hours labor
    Sunshade: Electric parts cost several hundred dollars, but labor would probably be 5-7 hours
    Nav: Parts around $2k, labor 3-4 hours(?)

Some other websites (e.g. BMWTips.com) offer detailed instructions on installing some of these, if you prefer to DIY and save some money.
  • need4speed1need4speed1 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know whether front air dams/chin spoilers, advertised for 1997-2000 5 series, fit on 2001-2003 models? Also, as far as quality goes, how does fiberglass rate? I've seen body kits on e-bay that are like AC Schnitzer or Hamman kits, but made out of multi-layers of "hand-laid fiberglass."

Does installation of roof spoiler and M5 deck spoiler require drilling?
  • bmwgurubmwguru Member Posts: 51
    Actually it would be closer to $4k in parts. The headlight housings are different, the wiring harness is different, controllers, etc. Not to mention labor costs. Most dealers would probably avoid doing the install because of the amount of mods needed to make it work.
  • hasanashasanas Member Posts: 19
    I just bought a 03 530i. I want to put a CD changer in the back. Any advice on which brands will work? I heard as long as the changer is Apline I should be OK. Any comments?
  • blkmanwrkinblkmanwrkin Member Posts: 6
    I have 19" wheels on my 99 528. I have the Hartge Classics. They look great! I had a blow on the freeway last wk. My problem lies in the wheel itself was bent. The tire must be replaced. Does anyone know of a place in the Los Angeles area that repairs bent rims? They're chromed and if I can repair the rim rather than replace it with a whole new one then that's what I'd like to do. Email me at wasup_HB@hotmail.com
  • srfastsrfast Member Posts: 138
    from www.eurobuyers.com. If you buy an aftermarket changer, you'll need an adapter. Using the BMW changer is plug n play.

Hope this helps....JL
  • hasanashasanas Member Posts: 19
    Would any Alpine CD changer work with the BMW radio. I've seen an Alpine CD changer that can also play MP3s, but i want to make sure that its compatabile.

thanks.
  • jeffcannelljeffcannell Member Posts: 2
    Help, have opportunity to buy '95 525i, 80k miles.
    Read some reviews,some not so good.Any thoughts, suggestions on what to look for. Warrenty. Yes or no, and where in NJ. Thanks for any help. Also, why is there no '96 model year?
  • bmwgurubmwguru Member Posts: 51
    Only a BMW Alpine CD changer will work.
  • 330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    Would sideview mirrors from an 01 and up M3 fit on an E39 1997-2003? I have priced 01 M5 mirrors and they are about 1200 for both sides as opposed to 500 for 01 M3 mirrors.Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • whollycowwhollycow Member Posts: 7
    Any recommendation for an aftermarket cup holder that can hold a 16.9 fl oz water bottle for the 2003 5 series? How about cup holders for the rear passengers?
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Member Posts: 51
    http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html or www.tecaccessories.com are two possiblities. If anyone has tried these, I would appreciate any feedback. For myself,I use a Migo cup in current holder, but I drink only coffee, nothing big.I have not researched any cupholder for back seat.
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Just purchased 2003 530; want to get rubber mats for the winter; any recommendations? BMWs mats are $50 for the front set, weathertechs are the same price (either thru mats.com or bavauto), and bavarian auto has a full set of 4 for $50. The weathertechs appear to require some "trimming" to get them to fit. Does anyone have any experience or can you recommend another place to look?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I'd go with the BMW mats; they're available from Pacific BMW(and others) for @$59+shipping front AND rear:http://pacificbmw.com/catalog/access/detail.asp?pid=172&model- =E39 .
     The Weathertechs are well made-I'm quite pleased with the full set in my TJ-but I simply can't see buying anything but the BMW set when the price is so reasonable. The fit will be perfect with NO trimming.
  • hoopsrefhoopsref Member Posts: 140
    Are you a BMWCCA member? Did you get your first Roundel magazine yet? They have plenty of ads for this kinda stuff. Many give BMWCCA members discounts (even dealerships on BMW merchandise.)
  • nkwazi2nkwazi2 Member Posts: 17
    I want to get the rear windows tinted on my new 525i.

Any good vendor recommendations? I live in the East bay in the SF bay area. I was told to call Rocky mountain tinting in Livermore.

Does tinitng affect the rear defrost or radio reception?
    Thanks.
  • dds540dds540 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 1999 540i and would like to add a factory CD changer in the trunk. What's involved and who has the best prices for the BMW CD changers?
    Thanks!
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    dds540... You should join BMW CCA just to get the subscription to Roundel magazine. You should also subscribe to Bimmer magazine. Both have a ton of ads from reputable suppliers.

Passport BMW (888-344-4383) advertizes "6-Disc Cd Changers (1996 and newer)" for $379.00, plus shipping.

Pacific BMW (800-909-PARTS) sells same for $392.99, advertizing "CD & Install Kits ship Free".

Bavarian Autosport also a great source for tons of aftermarket parts and accessories.
  • 330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    Does anyone know if the Dinan cold air intake and chip for the 03 530i will fit the 04 530i since the engine is a carryover but the 6 speed transmissions are not?
  • dv8eddv8ed Member Posts: 17
    According to BMW NA November BMW 5 Series (E60) productions will have a NAV retrofit prewire system... once the NAV is available it can be purchased and installed by dealer. Can anyone confirm this?

That sucks that I'm going to get my car Nov. 12th but won't have that option since it was made before Nov.
  • dohc97dohc97 Member Posts: 20
    I just installed a BMW cd changer in my 2003 540 3 days ago. It is so easy that I did it on my lunch break. I bought mine from eurobuyer.com for 349(free shipping). The bracket cost me an extra 20. Some Alpine model will work but an adapter is needed. Some people are saying that the adapter degrades the sound, so I went with the oem changer which is also built by alpine.
  • panoapanoa Member Posts: 1
    Anyone using the bluetooth phone option? Have you tried to use it with non-bluetooth phones and the headset option from Jabra or Plantronics? Do
  • bigpig426bigpig426 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone knows a good tint shop in the San Gabriel Valley area (California)? I want to have black tints on my 2003 525iA. Also, can anyone recommend specific tint brands? Thanks.
  • dds540dds540 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my BMW CD changer from eurobuyers.com. $395. complete with installation kit and free shipping.

Do it yourself installation is easy because it's plug and play. I had 1 problem though which turned a 45 minute install procedure into an hour and 15 minutes.

The supplied installation instructions indicate connecting 2 pre-wired cable connectors to the changer. After making these 2 connections and securing the changer to the mounting bracket, I started the car up and turned on the audio system. The changer functioned in all operating modes but no music could be heard.

Puzzled, I un-mounted the changer and re-checked my attachments of the 2 pre-wired connecters to the changer. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a 3rd cable poking out from behind the "module box" the changer mounts in front of. This un-mentioned 3rd cable has a small, thin RCA-type connector at it's end and apparently connects to the "audio-out" on the changer.
    It was only after connecting this 3rd cable to the changer, that music could be heard.

My BMW is a E39 series 1999 540i without a Nav system. Maybe the CD changers all require 3 cables, rather than just the 2 cables, be attached to the changer in order for the CD changer to play music.

Steve at Eurobuyers.com is a great person to do business with. He shipped out the CD changer promptly. I received my CD changer in just a few days and highly recommend them.
  • vifivervifiver Member Posts: 7
    If you are still in the market for a cupholder that will hold a 16.9 oz water bottle, try Bavarian Autosport's website (www.bavauto.com). I bought model # BAS CH2. It's pricey, but works pretty well.
  • bawatlbawatl Member Posts: 1
    Getting a great deal on a 525ia automatic with cold/weather and premium for $30K even. Car only has 24K on it. Problem is that I really want the power of a 530. I'm in Atlanta, Ga.. Does anybody know who and how much it costs (or even possible) to upgrade with a Dinan chip or other method to increase horsepower? Is it worth the money based on associated power increase? Please reply.
    Thanks
    If you want the HP/Torque of a 530i I suggest that you save up for a while longer and buy the real thing. There is simply no way you can bump the power of the 2.5 up to the level of the 3.0 short of going to forced induction-which will more than erase the price difference of the two cars(not to mention the resale value).
  • jmtljmtl Member Posts: 1
    Hello, everyone. Any suggestions regarding what compatible winter wiper blades for the BMW 2003 530i are available and where can they be purchased?
  • jfguerraperezjfguerraperez Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 530i, manual 5 speed with 42,000 miles. I bought it new in July of 2001. It came with Continental ContiTouringContact 225/55 R16 tires. Does anyone know what the mileage rating is on these tires?

Also, I would also like to replace them sometime next year and am looking for higher performance (and better traction) tires. I tend to drive aggressively (i.e. fast acceleration, pusing speed limits, etc.), put about 15000 miles per year on the car, and drive in conditions that can include snow (although it doesn't last long in Cincinnati, Ohio, there are a lot of hills here) and sleet in the winter, and lots of rain in spring.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
  • karmikankarmikan Member Posts: 116
    I've read some great things about Bridgestone Turanza's both in formal reviews and from users. They'll be my next tires.
    Conti Tourings are terrible if you tend to drive with any sort of enthusiasm-think of them as barely adequate rim protectors. My wife's 1998 3er came fitted with them; if you leaned on the car they would squeal. When we switched over to Michelin Artic Alpins for the winter the Three actually handled much better. Why not get a set of winter tires mounted on steel rims and then buy a dedicated summer tire such as the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position, Dunlop SP Sport 9000, Michelin Pilot Sport or Yoko AVS Sport? If you still want a really good performance all-season tire I'd go with either the Pirelli P7000 Supersport or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    These are $75 tires on tire rack. I had a '99 5er with them and went to Pilot Alpins for the winter and they did MUCH better than the Contis. I am not sure why BMW makes them standard on 16" wheels. They wobble at high speeds and suck in hard cornering. Mine as well drive a Camry :-)

I have Pilot Sport A/S for the other 3 seasons.
    Building off of what div2 wrote, "if you tend to drive with any sort of enthusiasm", then the only way to go is with the Sport Package. Going the Sport Pkg route will get you much better tires and they will be 3-seasons. I can't imagine wanting a BMW without getting the Sport Pkg. But if you get one without the Sport Pkg, did you ever really want to drive the car with "enthusiasm"?
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "I can't imagine wanting a BMW without getting the Sport Pkg. But if you get one without the Sport Pkg, did you ever really want to drive the car with "enthusiasm"?"

Riez, c'mon, you're narrowing out on us... you trashed my 530 w/o SP and hurt my feelings!! (just kiddin')

There are many who believe you can't drive any sedan with real "enthusiasm". I happen to be one of them. 5s are great road cruisers but they aren't sports cars. Their mass and mass distribution are no match for their muscle. Real sports cars have the balance of power and stability that provide the ultimate thrills. Then again, one man's enthusiasm is another man's ennui. As usual, it comes down to individual preference, and SP in a 5 although a notch better still leaves me thirsty. In addition, it's annoying on urban roads.

:-)
    designman... Methinks you'll save a fortune by driving something like a used Chevy Malibu. Cheap transportation that won't bring an ounce of driving pleasure or enthusiasm. :)

Can't say I concur with your thoughts. Last time I checked, the weight distribution for the E39 and E60 5 Series is near perfect. Nor are their weights that bad, when you factor in the room for four and a decent trunk. Also, while an M5 is a lot more car for a lot more money, even a 5-speed manual 525i Sport can be an absolute blast to drive hard on twisting roads!

Think we are talking about apples and oranges. Seems like you are talking about lightweight cars like S2000, MR2, Miata, Elise, etc. Or maybe hardcore 2-seaters like Corvette or Viper. But that is NOT what a serious sport sedan is all about. These are sports cars.

Serious all around sport sedans like 5 Series, 3 Series, IS300, etc. are designed to be both great fun to drive hard and be practical enough for family use. That is my definition of a true multi-purpose vehicle. If you want to bring out their best, you have to go manual transmission, Sport Pkgs, etc. To do otherwise is to settle for less than the car can be.

But I can appreciate your comments. Can't wait till my pre-teens go to college. Love to have something like a supercharged Miata 6-speed manual!
    Riez, I agree that the pragmatic purchase usually rules. In my case the 530 family sedan was optioned for my wife. She loves it and drives rather civilly. But my ship came in yesterday—02 Boxster S, 6-speed manual with 110 miles. Got it from a Porsche dealership as a new car purchase with full Porsche 4-yr/50k warranty for $42K.

I have always loved BMW sedans but Porsche is the one that presses my thrill buttons from performance to the minimal styling. I’ve been shopping since the summer and was really hot on getting a 993 911. It was a tough choice but I couldn’t turn down that warranty and price. The resale on it down the road will be the same as those who paid $56K. Furthermore, there are many who believe the Boxster handles better than the 911. Since I don't have extensive flight time on either, I’m not qualified to get into this, but I do know that both are masters on the curves and, at 5.6 0-60 with max speed at 162, the Boxster S has plenty of kick.

Along the way I also ogled two gorgeous low-mileage M6s and an 01 M5 at $57K with... get this... 2,500 miles. The latter was real hard to walk away from. However, the sedan redundancy didn’t work for me.

Now the task is to get my wife to appreciate the manual. If this happens, there could be an M5 sharing the garage with the roadster someday. No matter, I’ll count my blessings right now. A long time ago I told myself I’d someday have a BMW and Porsche. Had to wait some 30 years but that dream came true yesterday.

BTW, that Elise is something else. Don’t care for the styling but the internal anatomy and performance are real intriguing. Also, the S2000 was a strong contender... real fine roadster at a great price with Honda reliability. However, the Porsche pedigree has always been deeply rooted in my psyche... had to have it.
    I was alluding to added weight and high vertical center of gravity on sedans as compared to sports cars, not the balance quality of any single model.
  • rcs525ircs525i Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 94 525i. I've seen several Euro lights for the front corner and rear tail lights on eBay. Are these a simple plug and play modifications or is there more to it?
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Anyone have any info about when this gets released for 5-series?
  • x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    dealer wants $800 and I think that's ridiculous that the car doesn't already have one. I have at '03 530 and was wondering, how hard is it really to install myself? Would that void any warranties?
    Buy a BMW OEM changer online for $400. Do the easy install yourself, it takes about 30 minutes tops. That dealer is out of his mind to charge $800.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    Just bought a E60 and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a chip out there yet that adds HP (as if it doesn't go fast enough already!). I've never had a chip added to a car before so I'm also wondering if there are any pitfalls to doing so. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • inukeu2inukeu2 Member Posts: 23
    I will be trailering my e46 525 in the next few weeks and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a good way to secure the vehicle to the trailer without using axle straps. I have located a product on bimmerworld that bolts to the bottom of the shock absorber and allows you to hook straight to that point. This is cool but it does not specifically say that it works for 5's. The other thing I found was a hook that goes in the jack points. This too is good but will put the straps between the wheels rather than fore or aft where the d-rings in the trailer floor are. Can anyone help me with suggestions?

Thanks

inukeu2
  • inukeu2inukeu2 Member Posts: 23
    I just noticed I put the wrong model number in the last post. That is e39 525. Not a hybrid.
  • church38church38 Member Posts: 6
    All, need some help. Bought my 5iver in Germany and they installed the long european plate holder on the car. When I got back from Germany I took the long plate holder off to install the American plate holder and got a big surprise. There are 2 holes on either side of the American plate holder that are not covered. The dealer used more self tappping screws than holes that were originally in the bumper. I'm looking for an oversized front plate holder for a 525i 2004 BMW to cover the holes made by the dealer. Body shop wants $350 to fix the holes, I might go back to Germany so if I can just cover it I will be happy. Does anyone know where I can buy one?????
  • moralecorruptmoralecorrupt Member Posts: 8
    just saw your post on dinan what can you tell me about it

thank you
  • moralecorruptmoralecorrupt Member Posts: 8
    Did you change the air intake, what about the exhaust? Stage one, stage 2 up grade
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A magazine reporter would love to find some folks who've pimped their own rides. He is particularly interested in people who've done this for the first time and were driven to do it, at least in part, from watching a tv show like Pimp My Ride, Overhaulin' or something similar. He is looking for average drivers who are just discovering that they can personalize their rides, and is not as interested in the traditional tuner crowd who've been doing this for years.

If you have a story to share, please send your name, daytime contact info and a line or two about your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, January 5, 2005.

Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dreamstardreamstar Member Posts: 8
    I just placed and order with my local BMW Dealer in Concord CA for a 2005 BMW 330Ci Convertible. The after market BMW dealer installed car alarm does not include a motion detector because of a mounting issue with 2005 330ci Convertibles. Can anyone suggest a good after market car alarm for this type of vehicle that would include a motion detector or at least something that would include intrusion detection of the vehicle via the convertible top that would not void the manufactures warranty?
This discussion has been closed.