Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rheisenrheisen Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. To date, no one has contacted me yet.
  • bumbiebumbie Member Posts: 18
    OK, my car is back at the dealership as of this morning 10/3 (and if anyone is having the same problem as me, please let me know, the dealership thinks I am crazy). I posted my problem about the lung, jerk, jump whatever you want to call it last week. Anyways, I was given my car back late Wednesday and was told to drive it in sport mode to see if it still revved up and lunged forward, while at a complete stop. It did not, but I forgot to put into sport mode while waiting in line at the bank and the rpm when up and lunged into the curb dinging my expensive custom rim (fortunately not the car in front of me at the teller in part because I am paranoid and stay about 2 car lengths behind ever since the first two incidents). BMW thinks that when in regular drive, any movement on the brake is causing the car's transmission to think it is time to go and it goes. The problem with this solution is that my foot is firm on the brake. After the first time I have been so cautious about keeping my foot firm on the brake. I guess in sport mode I am in more control and in regular mode the car in more in control. I think that the solution, or what BMW told me was that the computer in the transmission needs to be replaced. On a car with 2500 mi. I am thrilled about this! :(
  • lookin1lookin1 Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up my 2006 525Xi and I just love it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Still figuring things out - lol . How do I get rid of the anti trap window message that keeps appearing. I've read the manual but I still can't figure it out.

ThANKS
  • andrewnicholasandrewnicholas Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a 2006 BMW 530i with sport package and dunlop tires?
    have you checked your tire pressures?
    the panel says F29:r39, but that pakes that car feel loose, bad steering and braking and acceleration. A local dealer changed it to 34F:35R which was alittle better, but not as good as the other one that i test drove. Anyone has an idea why the dealers set pressures different from the side panel? what is the best pressure for optimum driving/handling performance?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    There's similar confusion with my 528iA, the panel says 32F/41R but the independent
    I bought it from delivered it with 30 all around and it drove fine. I've tinkered with it a little and now run 32F/35R. I don't know why the factory calls for such high pressures in the rear, perhaps a carry over from the days when Bimmers were pretty "loose" in the back.

See post #1432 and replies to it for more.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I don't know if this still works in 2006 models, but … why if you try that said in poster #1444?

"("My passenger side window will go up and down on its own"
    With the start key on, you should open the window and then keep the opening key pressed for at least 5 seconds after the window is fully opened. Then, do the opposite. Then, open and close the window, once each, as usual. All this should reset the memory of the window engine. You also may ask the dealer to replace the window engine while under warranty.)"

Regards,
    José
  • andrewnicholasandrewnicholas Member Posts: 2
    I just spoke the dealer where i test drove one this weekend that i liked and felt good. the shop forman said they usually go with 34F:38R. hope this may help others too.
  • grios1grios1 Member Posts: 22
    Just to advise, I had the noise in the dash as well and some type of tapping noise coming from each window in the vehicle. The noise in the dash was actually coming from the steering wheel buttons. They were replaced under warranty. The tapping noise from the windows was coming from the seals. All seals were replaced under warranty.

One question reference the key fob. Does anyone else need to hold the trunk release button down for approx 2 secs before it will open? I think it should open with just one press of the button. If I hold it down too long the panic alarm goes off.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    "Does anyone else need to hold the trunk release button down for approx 2 secs before it will open?"

Affirmative. I need to hold it for a short while, may be 2 secs. It is indeed quite frustrating.
  • freddybbfreddybb Member Posts: 95
    I actually like the fact that you have to hold down the trunk release button on the key fob for a couple of seconds and then release it before the trunk will open. That goes a LONG way towards preventing accidental opening of the trunk (which can really hurt or cause damage given how fast it pops open!). On my previous car (a Volvo) they did not have a delay on the key fob and it was a nightmare -- I lost count of the number of times I had to get out of the car to close an accidentally opened trunk!
  • amichelamichel Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2004 BMW 525i which had continuing problems with the trunk opening by itself , the windows opening by themselves and the alarm going off when all doors are closed. After numerous attempts to fix , the dealer gave me a new 2005 model 525i after I raised loud complaints. I am now experiencing similar problems with the trunk and alarm going off by themselves. This occurs randomly and not very often - about once every few weeks. The windows have not opened by themselves on the new model but I am completely frustrated and the dealer looks at me as if can't happen and that I must be leaning on the key which is completely incorrect. Has anyone experienced similar and found a correction?
    If you lock the car and the it is parked with the sunroof or window open any passing breeze can set off the "*&^#$ motion sensor. This can be avoided by clicking the "arm" button again after locking the car which will turn off the motion sensor.

I've found that it's easy to fail to close the trunk properly, it needs a good slam in order to latch.

• totalsystmtotalsystm Member Posts: 10
    545 trunk lid does need a good push to lock and key fob does require 2 second hold for safety reasons (one of the good BMW design features.)

Have not had any problem with motion sensors.
    Good luck to all!
  • tcoztcoz Member Posts: 16
    I was under the impression that leaving the sunroof or any windows open would not allow the motion detector to arm although the other systems would.
    Well this may vary from car to car but you have to disarm the motion detector by hitting the button after locking in my E39 528iA.

It says so in the owner's manual. I've forgotten a few times and if left parked on a windy day the damned alarm will go off if the S/R is left open.

• mfecanimfecani Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 528i, and when it rains, the floor on both driver and passenger sides get soaked. I was told by the dealer that there were falulty seals in the doors that was causing this problem, and they've replaced them twice. I'm convinced that's not the problem. Thoughts?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm...BOTH sides of the car...that points more to a clogged drain at the bottom of the fresh air vents, situated beneath/near the wiper blades. You have to pry up that cowl vent and see if bio matter has plugged the drains up. You can test it with a glass of water. You should be able to pour it into the vents (like a heavy rain) and see the water drain out under the car, rather than into it. What happens is that with plugged drains the basin in there fills up like a little fishtank, and the water level rises to places that are not meant to keep water out of the interior, like rubber plugs for wires or vacuum lines for instance. They are sort of air/wind proof but not water proof.
  • mfecanimfecani Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
  • bumbiebumbie Member Posts: 18
    My car alarm will go off sometimes when I open hold the trunk button, why and what do I do to prevent this? It scares the %#$$ out of me when it happens. My air is also on full blast when I start the car, even if it is off when I park. Anyone know how to stop this?
    The "intensity" of the climate control was always a pet peeve of mine on my 325i and X3, but fortunately it's somewhat adjustable on the new 5-series. Go to Climate on the iDrive, then to Automatic Programs. The default is the high setting. I've changed mine to medium and it's somewhat better. I may even go to low. Basically, this adjusts how fast the climate control takes the temp to your preset by adjusting the airflow. Of course, the downside is that setting the intensity lower also means it will take longer to heat or cool the car.

You can't do anything about setting off the alarm other than become accustomed to how long you have to hold the button down to release the trunk (about 1 second). Unfortunately, another second or less will set off the alarm.
    My guess is that by holding the trunk button down momentarily you are activating the "panic" mode which sets off the alarm, consult your manual.

• medbmedb Member Posts: 1
    When I tern ignition on, car is cranking but will not start for about 10 to 18 seconds. Then when it starts there is a strong smell of gas. Wile I am starting the car my foot has to be on a gas pedal. It happens when car is not driven for an hour or so. BMW shop can’t find a problem. Please advise.
    leaky injector or bad temperature sensor.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I vote for a leaking injector as well, though a bad fuel pressure regulator could cause similar symptoms. Have the shop install a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see if the pressure bleeds down.
  • garys29garys29 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new 530xi last week and finally had a chance to play with all the goodies. I can't seem to make the RDS capability to turn on. Also no CD Title or song info. Any suggestions?
    That's a good thought. Bad fuel pressure regulator will cause a lot of hard cranking before the car starts when cold but shouldn't really cause black smoke.
    I have a 545i and same issue. Hope you are sitting down to hear this.
    After ordering all these options and spending and all this money, upon delivery BMW tells me that if you have premium sound and the navigation system, RDS will interfere, and mess everything up. Therefore, without saying anything, they disable the RDS!
    I have complained about this to BMW and been told, that the car is so advanced and intricate that certain systems can not work together. I also ordered satellite radio and the car came without it for the same reason. Guess the BMW definition for "advanced" is different from the standard dictionary definition.
    I hope you have better luck and get a fix from your dealer. If so, please pass it on to me. Mine thinks I am being unreasonable asking for this option! It's very frustrating!
  • frank310frank310 Member Posts: 47
    I also have a 2005 545, no RDS, but I do have NAV, Premium Sound and Sirius SAT Radio. Looks like they forgot to add it to your car as it does work on mine.
  • foxmfoxm Member Posts: 1
    When I change gears from 1st to 2nd on my manual transmission 2005 545i, the clutch makes a clattering sound, as if there is something loose and is shaking under the car. My BMW service advisor told me that this is normal for all BMW manual transmissions and this has been a known problem for many years. If this was normal, I would have expected this topic to be discussed in BMW forums but I could not find any discussions on this. Is this really "normal"?
    Your service advisor is mistaken at best, and a liar at worst. It is not a "known problem". In my 22 years of BMW ownership I've heard of such a problem.
    This is really crazy! According to my dealer, it was intentionally de-programmed by BMW out of my car. You should have RDS with premium sound, we all should. However, they told me that the combination of NAV with the other options is the problem (I also ordered SAT but it was not delivered.)
    So hard to believe that every other manufacturer can have RDS and NAV in the same car (as my wife's Navigator and daughter's Nissan and son's Chevy) but BMW can not!
    Have you asked your dealer to activate the RDS?
  • hihomikehihomike Member Posts: 111
    picked up my new 530xi last week and finally had a chance to play with all the goodies. I can't seem to make the RDS capability to turn on. Also no CD Title or song info. Any suggestions?

You need to go into i-drive to activate your RDS. First, tune in on an FM station. Next, click on the back arrow at the top left of your screen. You should see a selection choice for RDS.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the try but there is not even an RDS option in my i-drive. When BMW de-programs something, I guess they really wipe it out.
    Does your car have RDS? Do you have premium and nav? If yes, how about HUD? I really would like to get this working. Thanks.
    I am trying to determine whether the "Premium" Logic7 sound system in my 2006 530xi can play MP3 CDs. The manual says YES, but when I tried to do so I could not get either the in-dash single CD player OR the glovebox-mounted 6-CD changer to play MP3 CDs. Please help if you know the definitive answer.

Also, I sent in a "Priority Customer Email" to BMW Customer Service via the BMW Owner's Circle SIX WEEKS AGO with this same question. Six weeks later, BMW is STILL researching the answer to this ridiculously simple question: "Does my new BMW play MP3 CDs or not?". Apparently BMW has to "research" whether a car that they built supports a feature that the manual says it supports!!

Here is the exact verbatim text from CustomerService@bmwusa.com:

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for your frustration and for the delay. I know this seems like a simple question, but actually has, in fact required some research. Please rest assured that when a definitive answer is available, it will be provided to you immediately.

Sincerely,

(Name withheld to protect the innocent)
    Customer Relations and Services
    Representative
    Apologies for the goofball question, but for the uninitiated, what is RDS?
    Not a goofball question. RDS is the feature that most of today's cars have where the radio shows the call letters of the station and the name of the song currently playing. Whatever is sent out by the station. In Europe they sometimes also transmit the station's phone number, website, etc. Sorry, but I forget what the acronym is.
    Also thought I could play MP3s in my premium sound system, NOT!
    As you said, simple and basic stuff. Frustrated, yes!
    Thank you totalsystm. I too was confused about why my display was not displaying either radio station call letters or the CD track name. I have a 530xi with Nav and Premium Sound.

And, if you read my message one above yours, I cannot play MP3 CDs in it either (although the manual says that we should be able to)!!

I am mad at BMW's obvious fudging of the audio systems capabilities. I did not buy this car because of the audio system, but it always irks me when a manufacturer claims that it can do something and then it really cannot.

And to add insult to injury, they have been "researching" the answer to my simple question of six weeks ago: Can my Logic7 Premium Sound system play MP3 CDs?

I love my 530xi for the way it looks and drives, but BMW is a joke and a disappointment when it comes to electronics and customer service.
    I don't know whether anybody has run into this but I'll give it a shot...sorry about the length of this post.

I took delivery of my 06 530xiT about three weeks ago. I was getting the known issue of the High Battery Drain warning coming on after the first start of each day but not on subsequent starts. It was a software issue so my dealer upgraded my software and it took care of the problem. On Thursday I had my XM SkyFi system reinstalled in the car. It had previously been in my 03 325i and my 04 X3 without problems. The first night after installation, I didn't have the tuner in the mount and next morning everything was ok. After putting it in the next morning and since leaving it in, I'm back to getting the warning on the first startup and it again goes away after shutting the car off and restarting it. One thing that might give a clue is that the power to the XM isn't shut off when I turn the ignition off. I have to manually turn it off which means it continues to draw power, but I would think that would stop when I turn it off which I always do. I told the installer that I wanted it to go off when the car is turned off, but it doesn't so I don't know whether he made a mistake or whether the E60 electronics have something to do with it. I plan to call him on Monday.

I know the car goes into "sleep mode" sometime after it been turned off and maybe that has something to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.
  • fla528fla528 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2004 525 with premium and no sports pack. Well after kicking myself for not ordering the sports package, I installed H&R sports springs over my stock struts in March of 2005...it lowered the car about inch and half and improved the handleling.

Well here's the question:: Lately when drving under 20 mph on a uneven road it seems like my four doors are creaking...!!! Is this normal or has the H&R springs caused the car body to flex too much???? Or am I nuts and everyone hears this noise???

Thanks
    Your buddy in Florida.... HEY Fred come and get WILMA.....!!!!
  • bimmer11bimmer11 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased our 2006 530i last night and the Service Engine Soon light was on. Dealer said it was because the car was on while being fueled. They cleared fault and we took our new baby home. Next morning while driving the light came on again. Took back to dealer immediately and they said that the Oxygen Sensor tripped and that they couldn't see the reason and reset the fault. In another 10 miles the light came back on again when I got on the freeway home. Dealer is closed and will be taking in on Monday. Has anyone else had this happen? Will update what happens on Monday.
  • bmw_loverbmw_lover Member Posts: 3
    I have 2005 530i. I heard that TV function is availbale at 525i cars.
    Whay is 530 without TV and much it will cost me to install it any one has any idea?
    Yesterday, my dealer said BMW will be issuing a recall for a software update installation which will take care of the problem.
  • tuckpanatuckpana Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2003 525I. When the heated seats are turned on, after a few short minutes the headlights pulse, step down the heat and headlights stop but gradually start pulsing again. Turn off one of the seats and leave the other on. Headlights work fine.

Love the heated seats, but it drives me nuts, dealer could not duplicate.

Anyone have any thoughts? Altenator?
  • dproffitdproffit Member Posts: 1
    I have 528IT with 125,000 miles and its indicators show the same problems... I also lost intermittently lost the speedo and odometer. My car has a 5 speed manual transmission.
    Did your problems persist,disappear, or did your mechanic resolve them? Was the situation the result of a ghost in the electronics or a real mechanical failure?
    I'd check the battery as well as the alternator/voltage regulator; a weak battery can cause all sorts of electronic mayhem on an E39.
  • terpsrollterpsroll Member Posts: 5
    Hey Div2- Sorry to take so long to get back to you and thank you. Your advice did the trick. As I am mechanically dis-inclinded I paid premium for a new heater valve and although it looked easy, also paid to have it installed. If I recall correctly it totaled about $225-- but it did the trick and that is much cheaper than a new vehicle as I had become so frustrated that was my next step, to unload it and by a Kia (just kidding).

Thanks again.
    I'm glad that the valve was the problem. I don't really blame you for paying to have the repair done; it's not a difficult job but it is a bit fiddly. If it makes you feel any better, I recently had to replace the idler pulleys, belts, water pump, radiator, front struts, and a tie rod end on my 1997 528iA. I really can't complain though; the car has almost 130K on it and since 2003 it hasn't required anything other than oil changes, a set of brake pads and a washer fluid pump.
  • kaybekaybe Member Posts: 1
    Recently my 99' 528i started having some "strange" problems. The radio would turn off if you opened the vanity mirror or blew the horn. The airbag light would go on and off . The interior lights turn on and off at will. On another message board I read that other owners have had this problem and it was attributed to a sensor in the ignition that wears off. Has anyone heard of this? I have not installed any new devices or had any work done. I am scheduled to take in in for service tomorrow. Thanks KB :confuse:
  • arturasarturas Member Posts: 1
    I've got 2006 530i with 18K miles. In 6 months I have gone through 3 windshields already. It seems that the smallest stone/pebble will cause the windshield to crack to the point where it HAS to be replaced. I do a lot of highway driving, but still it seems excessive when compared to other cars that I have owned in the past [Audi and domestics primarily]. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a BMW-problem, as it seems that the windshield is not of the highest grade. Otherwise, the car is perfect - no problems whatsoever.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    My 03 540 six speed now has 76K on the clock. It is in the shop right now having the clutch replaced. They've told me that this is not "unusual", though I have owned cars that went 150K on an original clutch (granted with significantly less power, less weight, less... everything). In addition they are replacing the flywheel, since it was quite significantly overheated and glazed. Any opinions on the longevity? The car sees a mix of duty... NYC rush hour traffic and high speed runs to Boston, Maryland etc. I am upgrading to a UUC Motorwerks organic clutch, retaining the stock flywheel. Since the guys at the shop will be under the car anyway, I am also adding a UUC short shifter, and (for no really good reason) swapping out the stock brake lines for steel ones.

I recently (about 5K ago) dealt with the radiator leaking. Replaced the radiator with an aluminum unit, and took the opportunity (in there anyway)to replace the rest of the cooling system (fan, fan clutch, thermostat, water pump). Ended up replacing the overflow/expansion recovery bottle a week later.

It's pretty hard to look at the costs of maintaining the machine, since so much of what I do is based on avoiding a failure, rather than a strict following of the BMW maintenance schedule.

I do know that this E39 has been, and continues to be, the one car that I plan keeping, while others pass through the garage.

Thoughts?