Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gohorns1gohorns1 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I put about 12k mile/year on my car and thus I should get the full use of the original 4year warranty. I'm not too crazy about paying now for something I won't use for 4 years and thus I am leaning toward waiting. We'll see...
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    One more data point; my E39 averaged @$90/month to run and is still doing fine at 150K in the hands of its third owner.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• drikerdriker Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a sure way to get rid of this? I know it's a common problem. I just bought an 04 530I and this would have to be my only complaint. I recently took it to the dealer and they gave it their treatment ($80) but it only lasted a couple of days. I feel like the evaporator housing/coil need to be treated directly but I do not know how to gain access it. I know how to minimize the problem by turning the A/C off a few minutes before I turn the car off, but that only works once the mold/bacteria is destroyed.
  • ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    OK.... been some time, reading to catch up etc etc.... however, you owe me (us) one.... :)

I have the same leak/wet floor problem in the back of my 540 (E 39 - 2003) I found out about the grommets when I took the door sill trim off to figure out the water flow. I've seen that the water is in fact coming out of the bottom of the doors (problem is on both sides). You say that you found the leak, SO WHAT WAS IT!!!???

Enquiring minds...
    Last night I ran the 5 pretty hard, rolled on home, pulled into driveway and.... coolant explosion. Upper hose shredded. Let the beast sit overnight, and replaced the sucker today (after failing the first big rule... always take the old part to the parts store - never trust the inventory). Taking the machine in for Insp service, and will have them replace the lower, just in case.
  • bemmerluuverbemmerluuver Member Posts: 8
    Question for the more experienced on the board: I have an 06' e60 that I plan to keep after the new car warranties expire. I also have a friend who is a highly trained mechanic and works for the service department of a local new car dealership (not bmw) I know that he has a lot of experience working on different makes of vehicles, I'm wondering if a mechanic with his degree of experience and training would have trouble servicing things such as suspension, brakes,and cooling on my e60. He does not even yet know that I purchased this car otherwise I would just ask him.
    No offense intended to your friend, but I think that you will be much better off finding a good independent BMW tech. As well-intentioned as your friend might be, I wouldn't want him doing much more than an oil or pad change. Join the BMW Car Club and find out which shops the members of the local chapter use. Many dealers and shops offer club discounts of up to 20% or more on parts and/or labor.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• gboro2007gboro2007 Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know if the comfort access feature can be retrofit to a vehicle or is this purely a factory installed option?
  • kpearsonkpearson Member Posts: 3
    I have 525I 2003 and completed low mileage "oil services" from the dealer last month. The message "oil services" just came up yesterday. Do you know how to disable this message and reset all the lights? my BMW warranty is just expired so I'd like to know if I can do it by myself.

Thanks.
    Do you know how to disable this message and reset all the lights?

- Ignition OFF (POS 0)

- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)

- Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display

- *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service

- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes

- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.

Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.

• kpearsonkpearson Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your instruction. I'll try it soon.
  • gboro2007gboro2007 Member Posts: 8
    can comfort access be retrofit or is it purely a factory installed option? after 30+ years of using a key, the pushbutton is nice for sure, but i wish that i would have selected the comfort access feature?
    I'm pretty sure that it cannot be retrofitted to the current 5er. I prefer the traditional ignition key or comfort access; the insert-the-fob-and-push-the-button routine is a royal pain.

I have an '03 540 - E39 series. Love just about everything about the machine - (OK, I admit to occasional cupholder irritation - hard to drive a manual with the ever present waterbottle held between knees)...anyway, one thing that I find puzzling, and mildly annoying, is the remote window opening feature. It is neat that on a hot day I can be in the house and open the windows using the key fob. What's not so neat, is that pressing the lock button on the fob does nothing to close the windows... so once opened, a trip out to the car is necessary if a summer shower looms.

Does anyone know if I am simply missing something?

Thanks.
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Same situation on my '03 530SP. Have not found a way to close remotely! Gonna take much more than this to pry my e39 steering wheel out of my hands ;)
    I fully agree.... the E 39 fivers rule. Personally, I hope to have mine as a perpetual fixture, no matter what other vehicles come and go.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As I understand it, in Europe you can close the windows on an E39 via the fob, however, in the U.S. you cannot. Period, full stop, the end. I was "told" it's due to liability issues. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • johnmotojohnmoto Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1988 bmw 528 and i tried locking the doors from the outside and now i cant seem to open them. the key turns but it's just not hooking anything. i tried calling a locksmith but they said there's nothing they can do. any suggestions? i'd gladly appreciate any advice. i just want to open her up and start restoring her. thanks.
    Try turning the key while lifting up the door handle.

• zoelmanzoelman Member Posts: 15
    okay, i'm a new owner of a cpo 2004, 545i with sport pkg, so i pulled in too far parking and scratched the lower right hand faring underneath, down to the fiberglass or whatever it's made of.

is there anything i can do short of a paint job or replacing, both of which would be very expensive, that would help it look a bit better?

thanks,
  • ferozferoz Member Posts: 14
    I Finaly bought a 2002 530i in very good condition and with only 45,000 kilometers.

But it has started to rain on my parade, the leveling suspension is acting up, first the car would "sit" lower on the rear end, then it went away..... last night the car was way low on just one side..... When the engine is turned on the compressor works (also not turned on) and the car levels, so it´s not a compressor problem. My guess is an air leack or much less likely sensor adjustments.

Please give some input on how best to solve this problem, is it recurrent? Exprensive? Dangerous? Any input is well recieved. Thanks
    Let me guess, you don't have a North American car. Yes, no? As far as I know, no 530i has an auto-leveling suspension, at least here on this side of the pond.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That might just be correct, the car came from germany to mexico...........
    Hmmm, well, I'm afraid that you're going to have to rely on a local BMW independent mechanic or your local BMW dealership, because unless I miss my guess, most of us on this board have never even seen a self leveling suspension on an E39.

Good luck and keep us posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If the self leveling system is anything like the one fitted to my 1988 M6 you might be better off removing it and fitting a set of conventional springs/shocks.

• 530_lover530_lover Member Posts: 7
    Is there any changes from 2005 modle i would like to exchange my car with the latest...... :D
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There are mobile repairmen who often visit car dealership who can patch and paint these types of things. You really can't "touch them up" to look good but the mobile guys do a pretty decent job of airbrushing them (most of them)for much less than a body shop. Figure $150--$200 bucks.
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Member Posts: 36
    I own a 2003 530i cpo and sometimes after pulling in the garage, I hear a fan running under the hood. Not everyday but especially after I have pushed it a little hard. I am fortunate to live near some windy roads.

Is this normal?
    Yup. Many many cars with electrically controled fans do that. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Looks like my car has cured itself...... yes silly as it sounds the problem seems to have faded away. Let me explain.......

A couple of weeks ago the car completely lost the rear right, I mean it went all the way down, as soon as I started the car it began to correct the stands, the leveling led light up and did not´´ shut. I just parked the car and figured on sending it to the dealer. The day after the car was Ok, so I used it. Later on there was a slight tuck down immediately adjusted as the lock was hit. Recent days no more problems. The car works just fine now.... Still I will send it to the mechanic to be checked, but now I believe there is a slight air leak of faulty sensor, we will see.

My car dose not have the Xenon lights. Are they significantly better that the regular ones. Some friends say Xeneon is nice but nos overly so and that it takes some time to get used to.

If xenon is worth the trouble can I find a kit to up grade my originals? Is it a good idea.

My car has the light leveling system (Yes leveling again!) but even when the light are directed to the upward position the are too low, Dose the car have further mechanical alignment for the lights under the hood?

This one might sound like an extra stupid question but here it goes... I just can´ find the way to lower or raise the head rests, mine ore not electric and there is no release button any were, none of the front rests will either budge going up or down.

Thanks for all the input...
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I owned a series of Citroens with auto leveling suspension that 'behaved' like your BMW. When the engine was switched out, they could lay down showing the most strange tiltings over any of their flanks or corners; or they just could fall dead flat on the floor. :sick:

But from the moment the engine worked, those cars came up like camels to stand up rightly. When the car was in motion, the suspension worked flawless, and a very efficient one it was. :shades:

Best regards,
    Jose
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Is there any changes from 2005 modle i would like to exchange my car with the latest......

There are some barely noticeable cosmetic changes, and they don't offer the 530 anymore. ;)
  • zoelmanzoelman Member Posts: 15
    thanks for the tips, seems i am more used to my jeep so i never hit the curbs or parking pylons before! but with that low front faring they're hard to miss.

questions - if the dealer doesn't do the repair, would the dealer recommend the mobile repairmen or give me their phone or schedule? would the dealer do that?
    Sure the dealer should do that for you, why not? Or if he wants you to leave the car in his lot for the mobile guy to come there and tack on an extra $50 bucks, you're still way ahead of a body shop bill.

Of course, the mobile guy's paint job might only look good for 2-3 years. It is a "patch job" after all, not a re-skin.
  • pfagenpfagen Member Posts: 6
    Members, just bought a used 2001 525i, 5 speed stick, 98,000 miles, literally 3 days ago, and saw with my very eyes, sometimes, the stick shift slips from 3rd gear back to neutral - looks dangerous. I am not touching the clutch. Please advise: 1. what is happening 2. repairable? 3. estimate on cost

Thank you - missed this symptom while test driving the vehicle - took the car into a CCA-recommended bmw mechanic for prepurchase inspection, but no mention in his report.

Regards, Paul
    you mean it pops out of gear while you are driving, like when you let off the gas?

If that's the symptom, you might have worn shifting forks or other internal. This is possible at the mileage you have.

If it pops out like when you hit a bump and aren't decelerating or accelerating, maybe you have loose or broken linkage issues, which would be a whole lot better than worn internal forks. That might be fixable by accessing from above.
    Yes, pops out of gear while I am are driving, usually accelerating. Please explain more and why would this mileage contribute to the sympton?. Thank you.
    Well over time, with lots of shifting (maybe BAD shifting), parts wear internally, things get scrunched, bent, under-lubricated, etc. Things can loosen up, a little here a little there and before you know it...POP!

You might see if a shop can adjust the linkage to make sure it is fully engaging each gear....a long shot but maybe.....
    I spoke to the bmw independent mechanic I used for years and he mentioned replacing the transmission, with a used rebuilt unit + replacing the clutch. No mention was made to "see if a shop can adjust the linkage to make sure it is fully engaging each gear", by him.

Please comment back. Thank you.
    Well I haven't driven the car. Has he? If he hasn't, then he's no more right or wrong than I am. If he has, perhaps as an eye-witness he has determined a more likely cause than I can from so far away. If I could "feel" the jump, and the shifter, and how it acts, I could tell you more right away.
    No, he has not. I hope to take the car into his shop, for a test drive today or tomorrow. Thank you for your additional commments on what to be an eye-witness to.

Regards, Paul
  • drenthedrenthe Member Posts: 5
    My guess is that the dog teeth on your third gear wheel and/or sliding sleeve have worn. These teeth, as well as the sliding sleeve, have very small "hooks" at the end, that prevents the sliding sleeve from sliding back to neutral both when accelerating and decelerating. These notches may have been gone. Adjusting linkage will not do much, if this was the cause, other gears would show similar behavior. The damage can be regular wear, wear due to rough shifting or a material flaw (teeth not hardened correctly). A bad clutch results in prematurely worn synchronizer rings, if that is not the case, no need to replace the clutch. In my opinion, the answer has already been given to you; replace the tranny. Be careful when you get another used transmission, it may have similar (or worse) defects.
    Jan
    Certainly a plausible diagnosis. Tranny might need a "small parts rebuild". I wouldn't put in a used one unless it had impeccable credentials or perhaps unless it could be opened up (not so easy on your car).
    Hey all:

2003 540, 132K on the clock. AC/Heater etc run intermittently. According to the display, things are running fine, I can change fan speeds etc, however no air flows out of any vent. If I have the car idling, and shut off the system, I can hear/feel the change in engine load, which indicates that mechanically things are running. If i leave it alone for a while, it will start blowing, however may or may not continue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    How long has it been since the pollen filter has been changed? Could it be that it is clogged?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo,

Both of the filters are clean... machine was serviced acoupe of months ago, and I inspected them myself. It feels electrical to me.
    If i leave it alone for a while, it will start blowing, however may or may not continue.

It sounds like it could be the final stage unit. If so, it's a cheap and easy job; check out this how-to.

Thanks, Road.

Did some more checking - confirmed compressor works. Also, if the system is off no airflow, if car moving. If system on, airflow with roadspeed, but the air is chilled, not ambient temperature.
    If system on, airflow with roadspeed, but the air is chilled, not ambient temperature.

Another thing I forgot to mention is to check the condition of a particularly well-hidden HVAC blower fuse.

Roadburner, thanks. I removed the FSU and put it back... now it works. I'm still replacing the unit, since I don't need it quitting on me for good on a nice cold day!

Thanks again.