Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    LOL!!! There's no question that Accords are nice cars, but to consider them in the same league as a 5er? Come on! Truth be told, if I could justify a two seater I'd look long and hard at an S2000 or a used NSX.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    We all know the 5er is a nice vehicle to drive. I would consider buying one but we are talking about problems and solutions on this thread. I am simply stating that there are more headaches for the 5er than the Japanese make. All in all, you gotta have a stack of cash to keep the 5er up and running compare to the more reliable Japanese makes which in my experience only requires oil changes periodically. I have never have to worry about the Accord breaking down electronically or mechanically. Wake up in the morning, start the car and go. Even though it does not perform like a 5er, it does okay in performance, and exceptional in realibility and maintenance costs.
  • bentleyfam25bentleyfam25 Member Posts: 67
    Had 4 Accords over the years. Loved them. Totally reliable (tho, to be fair, the last one in '98 was far more cheaply made than the first one in '83).

Now have three BMW's and love them all. Different car, different economics, and I have more money to support the difference in the economics. Life goes on.

Both great, great cars for what they do and are built for.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "All in all, you gotta have a stack of cash to keep the 5er up and running compare to the more reliable Japanese makes which in my experience only requires oil changes periodically."

Ummm, I realize that I am only one guy, however, my last 5 years and 70K miles have been spent in BMWs, and to date, I have a total out of pocket for unscheduled maintenance of $1.00 (two burned out taillights), which would have been covered under warranty had I bothered to take the car in instead of doing it myself.

As for maintenance items that are "consumables" (such as brakes, tires oil, filters and wiperblades), my bet is that only the tires cost more per mile than a typical Accord. From where I sit, my 5er seems extremely economical to maintain.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Let's see, a non-BMW owner enters a discussion in a BMW topic proclaiming the superiority of a 13 year old FWD family/grocery hauler, then gets in a bit of a snit over a few well deserved barbs? I feel for you, friend. Actually, I usually recommend Accords(or Camrys) to my non-enthusiast friends. They are tough to beat if you want a benign driving experience coupled with excellent reliability. That said, I concur with the philosophy of fellow countryman DED Jr., who once said: "Life is too short to drive boring cars." In my 20+ years of BMW ownership-two 3ers, two 5ers, one E3, and one 6er-I've been stranded exactly one time-when a poor fitting non-BMW coolant hose split on my Bavaria 3.0 in 1983. I've driven them all over the US as well as to the shores of the Arctic Ocean-in February-and I've never had to make an unscheduled stop. I've hammered dead stock BMWs around Memphis Motorsport Park, Mid-Ohio, NHIS, Putnam, Sears Point, and Watkins Glen for hours with no breakdowns. Now, I'll admit that M6 I bought in 1992 was a bit expensive to run-@$6000 in service and repairs-but three years later I sold it for $500 less than I paid for it. I guess I should have bought a 1992 Accord, saved $5300 in maintenance costs, then re-upped for a 1995 model(after taking a $5000+ depreciation hit). Of course, I would have missed out on the glorious full throttle sound of the S38 DOHC as I entered Turn 1 at NHIS, the thrill of drafting a 930 Turbo down the front straight at Memphis, and the pleasure of owning a car that made you look for some reason-ANY reason- to take a long drive(a characteristic of EVERY BMW I've ever driven). Of course, none of that is important. Better to have taken the Accord. It's cheap to run. It's reliable. And it's a nice practical FWD sedan. That's what REALLY matters, right?
    Careful, there; you are arguing with a true believer. Just repeat after me:
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-they are reliable
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-they are cheap to run
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-they are the best car-EVER
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-all other cars are inferior
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-EVERYONE must own one
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-nothing else compares
    There now, don't you feel better? And honestly, deep down inside, don't you really, REALLY, want to trade your 140 mph Nurburgring tuned 5er for a nice, sensible, FWD sedan? No? Well, let's try again-deep breaths, now:
    HONNNDAAAA...OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-they are reliable.......
    I thought that only the Mazda rotary went "OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM". Oh yeah, that's "HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Guys, figure since this is the problems/solutions page I'd put one in.

The yellow air bag light in the overhead (a useless piece of government mandated nonsense if there ever was one, and very distracting at night) can be eliminated by:

-- popping out the light module with your fingers
    -- unplugging it
    -- opening the module with a small screwdriver (insert the screwdriver gently into the four clip holes you'll see around the module) and
    -- taping over the LED's with electrical tape (you can't tape over the inside of the lens);
    -- Then put it all back.

Takes about 10 minutes.

Problem is, unplugging the module is detected by the system as a fault, which doesn't automaticly reset.

Two questions:

1. I unplugged the module with the car running, with triggered the fault indicator. Dumb, but live and learn. Has anyone done it with the car off, and if so, did unplugging the module trigger the fault with the key off?

and

2. Is there a way to reset the fault indications without taking the car to BMW? Don't mind doing it, but would have to leave the car there for the day.

Any experience or ideas with this?

Thanks --
    Disconnecting any part of the SRS while the ignition is on will be interpreted as a fault by the SRS diagnostic protocols. I see this happen frequently when owners/shops remove seats or steering wheels to replace switches, carpet, etc. While I'm not 100% certain about the E60, I believe that removing the light module with the ignition off will not trigger a fault code. Once a code is thrown you have two options:
    1. Take the car to a dealer or independent shop that has the correct reset tool
    or
    2. Buy or borrow one of these: http://peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm
    It wouldn't hurt to check out your most recent CCA chapter newsletter(or their web site) and see if your chapter has one available to borrow.
  • tentwalkertentwalker Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking to buy a 2003 530iA or 540iA in Philadelphia PA area. I am looking for brand new or very low miles (like a demo car) Was interested in peoples opinions about the relative benefits/drawbacks between the two engines, relative to gas mileage, acceleration, etc.

Also, any opinions or advice on pricing. Drove an 03 540iA w/ sport and premium packages with 6k miles priced at $52,000.00. Seems high to me but the dealer doesn't seem willing to deal, thoughts?
    I'm looking to buy a 2003 530iA or 540iA in Philadelphia PA area. I am looking for brand new or very low miles (like a demo car) Was interested in peoples opinions about the relative benefits/drawbacks between the two engines, relative to gas mileage, acceleration, etc.

Also, any opinions or advice on pricing. Drove an 03 540iA w/ sport and premium packages with 6k miles priced at $52,000.00. Seems high to me but the dealer doesn't seem willing to deal, thoughts?

• warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I think we've all seen your post now, on all the boards.
    You saw my post, but don't care to offer your opinion? I see that you list a 2003 5 as the car you own, so your opinion would be especially valuable.
    I don't know how I can help you choose between a 530 and 540. Drive both, weigh the performance differences as you perceive them vs. the cost difference, and choose. I did that and concluded that while the 540 is a blast for acceleration, the extra cost couldn't be justified for my mostly around-town driving. Conventional wisdom also has it that the E39 530 handles a bit better than the 540 due to lower front-end weight and a different steering mechanism, but I couldn't tell the difference.

I have no information about current market prices of used 540's.

Good luck.
    With respect, your post doesn't show that you've done your research enough to convince the folks here to comment. Your question is very preliminary. The 530 @ $52K item is not much different that saying "what's a red car worth?". Glad to provide thoughts, but check the many resources on the net and filter your conclusions with a lot of your own developed knowledge for us -- and we'll be glad to offer our thoughts to add to them and help you make your final decision.

Best, and good luck --
  • chesdin2chesdin2 Member Posts: 19
    Well, as I was walking out to get in my '01 530 the other day I noticed that the BMW logo ornament on the hood had mysteriously changed to just a silver circle. I had only been parking the car at work (reasonably secure parking lot), and home (off-street but in a driveway).

My first thought was vandalism, except: 1) why would somebody go to the effort to carefully peel the emblem off of the metal backing and not just pry the whole thing off (presumably, as a souveneir), and 2) there is absolutely no sign of any scratches, etc. from a prying tool.

In looking at it, it looks more like the adhesive may have failed. Has anybody heard of anything like this happening? I'd rather make a warranty claim than an insurance claim!

Thanks... Tom
    I'd give the dealer a try-it can't hurt to ask. If that fails, replace it yourself. The part number is: 51 14 8 132 375. It lists for $11.90, which means you should be able to purchase one at your dealer for no more than $10 with your CCA discount. And by the way, "roundel" is the proper name for that emblem.
  • vizviz Member Posts: 75
    Recently leased this vehicle for 3 years. I would appreciate if some one can help me choose Winter tires. Is it mandatory to have new rims too ? They seem to be expensive. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Viz
    Do you have the Sport Package? If not, do you live in an area with lots of snow?

If you answered "No" to both of those questions, you might do just fine with the standard all-season tires that came on your car.

If you deem snow tires a necessity, I think that you'll find that any the more popular snow tires are more than acceptable.

In my own personal experience, the Blizzaks seem to have the best grip by a slight margin over the Dunlops and Michelins while the Michelins are considerably quieter than the other two on dry pavement. I am currently running Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires on my 2002 530i (with Sport Package), and I am completely satisfied with them.

Regarding the wheels, that is up to you. In the long run, it is much cheaper to buy a set of wheels with your winter tires simply because after a couple of years, the cost of mounting and balancing twice a year will easily eat up the cost of the new wheels.

Once again, in my case, I went to http://www.tirerack.com and ordered a complete tire and wheel package, with Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires and Borbet Type H wheels (which totaled to something like $1,007.00, with shipping).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sykusyku Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    Can someone tell me what is CCA?

syku
    The BMW Car Club of America: http://www.bmwcca.org
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    I installed 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on Fox wheels purchased thru tirerack. I live in upstate NY and we've had snow falls of 32", 15" and a few of 8" or less. I haven't taken the car out in major snowfall (I may be crazy to live in upstate NY, but I'm not stupid), but have had it in 3-4" of snow and it performed well, even getting out of my uphill driveway from a complete stop. The Dunlops are almost as quiet as the OEM Conti Tourings and seem to handle almost as well. I'd recommend them in the snow.
    My wife's 3er came with Conti Tourings; we switched to Michelin Arctic Alpins for the winter and the car handled better. I haven't had any experience with the Conti performance tires, but the Tourings are barely one step up from rim protectors.
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    It still bothers me to know that BMW can put $90 tires ($360 for all four)on a $50k car. As someone on one of the boards remarked, it is truly foolish for a manufacturer to scrimp on tires. I'm just not ready to scrap the Contis with only 4500 miles on them..... but even if I were ready, it's almost impossible to choose an alternate tire despite how much you read and research. There are as many opinions out there on what is the "best" tire as there are rocks on the moon. Oh well.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    glaker... Last year I bought a set of ContiTouringContact tires for my '00 323ia. Cost about $65 per tire installed! BMW buys them by the tens of thousands. Bet they pay less than half that.

Getting someone to pay $30,000 or $50,000 for a car with a set of tires that cost $150 is one way to be hugely profitable. Too bad so few BMW owners are serious about driving or driving the ultimate machine. If they were, all BMWs would come with Sport Pkg!!! Too many people want to own a BMW or be seen driving one. They never even worry about driving it hard. Their loss. And ours since dealers tend to order inventory for this herd.

Now you understand why BMW is the most profitable "major" car manufacturer in the world? Only Porsche beats them on a per vehicle basis. And look at the option sheet for a Porsche--$90,000 base MSRP can quickly turn into $110,000 or more.
    I am one of the guilty that has had a BMW equipped without the Sport Package. :-/ I ordered my 1999 328i without the SP simply because I was more than a little gun shy after replacing five BBS wheels and seven tires in 80K miles (most of which were driven in and around NYC) on my previous car. Unfortunately, Brave1heart (of 3-Series fame) and I swapped cars for a day a couple of years ago, and while my 328i had gobs more torque than his 325i, his was equipped with the SP, and as such, could run rings around mine in the twisties. Needless to say, I was sold. My 530i has the SP, and I LOVE it. ;-)

Regarding the Porsche price list, just for kicks and grins, I went over there and priced out a Boxter S. The base car lists at $51,600, and by the time I finished optioning it out in its most expensive incarnation (I think), including the (ugh!) automatic transmission for $3,210, it came out to a whopping $98,265! That works out to a 90.4% premium over the base cost.

Memo to the Porsche folks: "I am in awe of your ability to make money by adding extra goodies to your cars. I am humbled in your presence."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My current 3er has the SP, but my wife's 528i doesn't-and I honestly don't miss it. She never pushes the envelope so the SP is of no real advantage. Tires are cheaper and, as you noted, bent wheels are few and far between. Since I have a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for the 5er I will be able to fit more aggressive performance oriented tires. When I replace the shocks in a few thousand miles I'll fit Bilsteins HDs or Tourings to firm up the ride just a bit. At 100,000 miles the big sled will once again be ready to mix it up on winding two-lanes and on ramps. The thing is, the handling limits of most any BMW-SP or not-are unable to be exploited by the vast majority of owners. I'll get om my soapbox once again and state that attending several Drivers Schools will do more to improve your car's capability than most any modification you can make. Don't get me wrong, any BMW I'd buy would either be an M or have the SP, but a properly driven non-SP BMW will-when the road turns twisty- run and hide from 98% of the cars/drivers out there.
    The good news is that you are "Preaching to the Choir" on this one. ;-) I am totally sold on the need to attend a Drivers School, especially when you consider that I haven't attended one since something like 1977, and my skills have most likely atrophied to a considerable degree. That said, I am still rather gimpy from my broken right leg and severely dislocated foot from a year ago (last Friday was my anniversary :-/), and as such, my driving is FAR more conservative these days. Maybe I will be healed enough to consider it sometime this summer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Leftover 03 Boxster Ss are now going for roughly $43K to $48K. All of those options you allude to are mainly creature comforts and cosmetics. No one extorts better than Porsche. But you don't need goodies with it. The $42K I paid for my leftover 02 has more than I need or want... cruise, heated seats. I'm not even sure I need the juke box as I find myself listening more to the sweet music that comes from the engine and exhaust.

With regard to the sport package on the 530. After driving over a week now with the S, my 530 w/o SP feels like a DeVille and I know SP would have made no difference. Furthermore, one of the best car decisions I ever made in my life was not buying the M5 I was considering last month.

I am well aware of the satisfaction BMW owners get from our sport sedans and how they fill the all-around family/business needs, but if anyone is really into the thrill of driving there is only one answer... sports car. As we know, they are not practical, but if you have that driver's lust and can swing it as a second or third car... this is the promised land, sport-sedans are a compromise in my opinion. Works wonders in the family environment also. My wife is crazy about the 530 and she basically has it to herself now.

BTW, are you sure you were at the P dealer only for "kicks and grins"? ;-)
    designman... The 2-door, 2-seat roadster Porsche Boxster, with limited utility, does NOT compare with the 4-door, 5-seat sedan 5 Series, with backseat and full trunk.

Now add a full trunk and backseat to the Boxster and we can talk. Oops, that was the (unlamented?) 928! And which one has survived the test of time? The M5!!!

The Z4 competes with the Boxster. The Z8 with the 911. Porsche has no car comparable to the 5 Series or M5.
    in his post acknowledged that the 5 and Boxster are different animals with different missions. His point was simply that for pure driving pleasure ("the ultimate driving machine?"), the Boxster trumps the 5. Does anyone disagree with that limited assertion?
    Thanks for your postings.
    My car does not have SP. It has contitouring Contact tires (Made in Germany). I live in northeast ohio; snows around 4 inches max. Last year my 1998 model met with an accident during winter; it started to wobble and brakes were of no use. Still confused as to why it happened.
      For a 3 year lease I am still not able to decide whether I should buy the rims. Rims are expensive and what should I do with them when I return my car after 3 years.
       Are the contitouring tires any good in winter ?
    warthog... The comparison is still Z4 to Boxster. And if you like roadsters, the smart buyer saves a fortune by buying a Miata or an S2000.

Of course, there is always a penalty to be had with a sedan. Backseat and trunk add weight. That is why you can't compare a full-size sedan to a roadster.

The M5 is a most awesome sedan.
    I too am on a three year lease with my 530i (although with the look of the new E60 5-Series, I will probably buy my car next year at lease end), and I bought the entire tire and wheel package. My rational was that I would just about break even in cost when comparing buying the more expensive 235/45-R17 winter tires for my SP equipped 530i rims. That said, since you have the narrower rims, you will be able to save over $50 a tire, meaning that buying the full package will cost you about $200 more over the three years when compared to just buying the tires and having them remounted and rebalanced twice a year.

The only thing not considered in the above equation is that when you give your 530i back, you will have a nice wheel and tire package that you can sell on RoadFly or EBAY. A quick check on EBAY shows used wheel and tire package for BMWs running between $400 and $750 depending on the tire/wheel/car mix. Compare that to ads for just used snow tires for $50 for all four tires.

From where I sit, any way you look at it, buying the wheels is the more cost effective way to go.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "And if you like roadsters, the smart buyer saves a fortune by buying a Miata or an S2000."

You win Riez. I'm trading in my Boxster and 530 today for a Miata and Corolla. What's more, I'm hoping this decision keeps me in contention for the Nobel Prize for Economics.
    designman... You wrote, "Leftover 03 Boxster Ss are now going for roughly $43K to $48K... The $42K I paid for my leftover 02 has more than I need or want... With regard to the sport package on the 530. After driving over a week now with the S, my 530 w/o SP feels like a DeVille and I know SP would have made no difference. Furthermore, one of the best car decisions I ever made in my life was not buying the M5 I was considering last month."

All I did was point out that comparing a 530i to a Boxster is NOT a fair comparison. The Z4 is. And it was all the less fair given that it doesn't even have the Sport Pkg. There is a huge world of difference between 530i non-Sport and 530i Sport. Nor is it fair to compare the M5, though it isn't fair to compare the M5 to your 530i. Your 530i non-Sport pales in comparison to the M5. If you can't understand all this, then I concur, sticking to economics would be appropriate.

And keep in mind that it was warthog who wrote, "His point was simply that for pure driving pleasure ("the ultimate driving machine?"), the Boxster trumps the 5." First, notice he doesn't mention the M5, which is the "ultimate" sedan. Second, for pure driving pleasure, one can't beat the simplicity and value of either the Miata or S2000. These are two cars that do much better compete with the Boxster and Z4. I'd take the S2000 over the other three today but look forward to the upcoming supercharged Miata. Affordable, reliable, simple, pure driving pleasure?
  • rfkflrfkfl Member Posts: 2
    Have 2 questions. (1) The passenger seat headrest does not go up/down. I took the back of the seat off and the motor works but I think the cable is not working properly. The thing I cannot figure out is how to disconnect the cable. Any ideas? (2) When I push the button for the seat to lean back, only one side goes, the other seems to be “stuck”. Again, any ideas?
    My reference to the BMW slogan was a bit of sarcasm attempting to emphasize designman's point that a BMW 3, 5, M or whatever, is not truly the "ultimate driving machine," however good they are at what they set out to do. The true ultimate driving machine, currently I suppose, is something like the Enzo. We all know the 5 vs. Boxster kind of comparison is invalid. You don't need to tell us again. But maybe you need to re-read designman's original post and consider what he actually said.
    What designman said was this:

"I am well aware of the satisfaction BMW owners get from our sport sedans and how they fill the all-around family/business needs, but if anyone is really into the thrill of driving there is only one answer... sports car."
  • jav27jav27 Member Posts: 7
    Perhaps someone out there can recommend a good set of snow tires as this evening I could not make it up the hill to my house and had to turn my 2003 525i around and take an alternate route with a smaller incline.

Or should I have purchased a 325xi?
    Get Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Arctic Alpins. The Blizzaks are better on ice but the Arctics are much better in the dry and wet. I bought four Arctics from Tire Rack along with a set of steel wheels. I also ordered some BMW E39 Wheel covers. It's an easy 45 minute job to swap them.
    warthog... You cite designman's comment that "if anyone is really into the thrill of driving there is only one answer... sports car." Don't agree. Sure our motorcyclist friends would argue that a 2-wheeler is the only way to go. And a plethora of serious driving machines can give you a ton of legitimate thrills: serious sport sedans like M5, small roadster like Miata, pocket rockets like the Subaru WRX/STi, etc. You don't have to have a "sports car" to enjoy the thrill of driving. A 530i 5-speed manual with Sport Pkg will provide plenty of driving thrill.

How much does the Enzo cost? But I'm not sure a Ferrari is the ultimate driving machine. Ever notice how many low mile used Ferrari there are out there? The drivers don't seem to put much driving time in them. What thrill is there in owning something you hardly drive? They are more like the ultimate spectator machines. (Not to mention reliability concerns.)
  • george94george94 Member Posts: 75
    I own 03 E39 530 SP and a while ago I was also deciding about the purchase of winter wheels. Thanks to this forum and first snow in Boston I quickly realized that the original tires ARE NOT for winter driving. Although I have driven RWD cars all my life (with the exception of my previous Honda Accord EX) I could not say I was safe on the road. I purchased a set of tires Michelin PA2 and wheels thru tirerack. The tires are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone. The whole package came to about $1000. I was able to mount them myself in 30 minutes using the original tools.
  • jav27jav27 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Gentlemen. I'll check out the site. So, the advise is keep the 525 and change the tires.
    Thanks you all for sharing your opinion. I am finally convinced I need winter tires for my 2003 530i. Now please help me choose a tire ; I have 2 options ( I would prefer smooth ride on dry road)
    Dunlop winter sport M2 : Performance Winter

Michelin Arctic-Alpin : Studless Ice and Snow

Which one is better for north east ohio; It does snow here but it not severe - But you never know :-(

I am also getting fox sport wheels.

Is there a way to get $0 shipping from tirerack.com ?
    Please advise.

Thanks,
    Viz
    Due to the fact that the Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires are generally acknowledged as being one of the best (if not the best) winter tire in non-winter conditions (ie. dry and wet roads), I would suggest them. My guess is that like here in New Hampshire, the majority of your winter driving will not be on snow and ice.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I second Shipo's advice.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    The same thing happened the Roundel on my '01 530i as to chesdin2. One morning the paint was gone and it was bright silver with little black left. Wife said it was from leaving it out in the cold overnight instead of the garage, but I assured her that it is colder in Germany than NJ.
  • jbf5jbf5 Member Posts: 32
    We had some posts a few weeks back on mounting wheels with the BMW tool set. If you look at the installation instructions on Tirerack's website, you'll see that they recommend using a torque wrench (and tightening in a star pattern). The risk you take with using the tire iron alone is apparently that you get unbalanced tension on the lug nuts and warp the brake rotors. That has to be expensive to repair.

Sears has torque wrenches up to the task for around $70. You'll also need a 17mm socket, and, depending on your wheels, a socket extension to keep the wrench from scraping against the wheel as you torque.