Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fishdreamsfishdreams Member Posts: 8
    Div2- thanks for the info- I'll try AutoZone (I'm in Memphis where AutoZone is based so there are plenty of them around!).
    Div2 (or anybody else)- I just went to AutoZone- they hooked up the diagnostic thing and it came back with camshaft position sensor as the problem. Questions- since the CEL went off does that mean the sensor could have fixed itself? Are my symptoms (severe intermittent hesitation that has now gone away) consistent with a camshaft position sensor problem? Is this an expensive repair? Thanks for your help.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yes, your driveability problems could well be caused by a bad CPS. A 2000 528i has two different camshaft sensors(the parts CD refers to them as "pulse generators"); one for the intake cam and one for the exhaust cam. Either one could be causing your hesitation. They cost less than $90 each. Replacing them is a fiddly job, but it's not terribly hard. I'd keep driving the car and see if the problem returns.
  • mtv65mtv65 Member Posts: 45
    01 530i with Sport 235/45R17's......narrowed it down to 2.

Fuzion ZRi or Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S.

I'd like to take a quick poll for those who have experience on either of these tires. First of all, it's my wife's so comfort(quiet) is on the top of her list. I do drive it occasionally, so performance would be second and finally longevity. Price range less than $150.

If there are other tires that I should consider, do let me know.

TIA!!
    div2- thanks very much for all the good info.
  • jasjas Member Posts: 115
    I have gotten no good answers from BMW or from service on the mis-calculation I see with the MPG.

Although the car runs great and it is not a big deal, it is just kind of an annoyance and I think they have a problem with the software calculation. I see an error of 5-6 mpg greater than what I am actually getting (calculated by fuel used and miles driven).

Can anyone with a 545i run a calculation and let me know what you are seeing? Please note if you have a auto or manual.

Much appreciated.
  • cassidymcassidym Member Posts: 108
    I just got a 2005 545 six-speed and the computer says I'm getting 17.6 mpg which seems about right but I have't had time to actually calculate it. Do you have a six-speed and what sort of milage are your calculations showing?
  • mtjohnmtjohn Member Posts: 34
    I recently purchased a set of Goodyear F1 GS D3s for my 2001 530ia SP and they have performed extremely well. The tread design works great in wet weather, they are very quiet and they have eliminated any tramlining I used to experience with my Continental ContiSport Contact 2s. The only tradeoff is slightly more sidewall flex which can be minimized with a few extra PSI front & back. Check out Tire Rack for their ratings on the tire. Really great compromise for performance, quiet and overall ride for the sport pack.
  • jlapcatjlapcat Member Posts: 7
    I leased a 2004 545iA sport, premium, nav, h-up, PDC, a month ago. Now I am unhappy with the car because the driver's seat is too large for me to be comfortable. The seat looks like BMW was hoping Shaq would be driving the car instead of me. I can understand that, but now I am stuck with this very uncomfortable carseat. I am a 5'5 woman. First, there are very few seat controls, and no lumbar support controls. I have the seat up as high as it will go, and it still feels like I am sunk down into a big bath tub, straining to see over the dash, so the bottom of the head-up display doesn't appear cut off. There is no upper back support, leaning back into the seat is uncomfortable as the back of my head only comes to the junction of the seat and headrest...where there is no support. It is impossible to drive in this position, even with the seat bolt upright...the seat sways back in this position, so I am forced to lean forward. My neck and upper back ache after 10 minutes of driving in this position.

The thigh extender is a joke. Who really needs this??? My knees barely reach the end of the seat as it is.

I have found a temporary solution. If I sit on a 3" thick lumbar support pillow, I can see out fine and, more importantly, my head and upper back fit into the seat right so it is much more comfortable. I can rest back and my head actually comes up to the headrest!!! I don't find the pillow that comfortable to sit on for long driving, it doesn't fit the seat dimensions that well, but my shoulders, back, and neck feel much better.

I have owned MB 500sl, mbE320, Jaguar XJR, and many other cars. Never have I had an issue with the seat and sitting comfortably, so I didn't really consider this on my short test drives of the car before I got it. Also, comfort seats were not available in the cars at the dealerships I went to, so I never tried them. However, I didn't realize that if I didn't get the "comfort seat" I'd be getting the uncomfortable seat.

Called BMW, they said the seats are designed for people as short as 5'1" and there was nothing they could do for me. Called the manager of the dealership, who refused to take my calls. Now I have 35 months to go on the lease. I am disappointed in the ergonomics of BMW (what ergonomics), but that's another discussion. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.
    I'm 6'2" and naturally find the 545 seat to be very comfortable and I very much like the thigh support. I have a 2005 545 with SP, HUD, NAV, SAT and CWP. It came with the adjustable lumbar support standard. I'm surprised your's did not.

Had you considered sitting on a wedge shaped pillow? I use one of these in my house (I have a bad back) and you place the high end towards the back and the thin edge towards your knees. This particular pillow is three inches high in back and narrows down to about a quarter inch in front. Anyway, it forces you to sit with a curve in your lower back which, at least in the case of my dining room chair, makes it a lot more comfortable. And the added three inches in the back ought to elevate you sufficiently to clearly see the HUD (I love that thing).

Pillows like this are made out of a high density foam so they give a little but don't squash down. You ought to be able to find one in any store that specializes in devices for bad backs.

It's too late now but you probably should have considered Comfort Seats which have an articulated upper back that you may have found helpful. The buggers cost $1200 so I never gave it a thought.
    div2's Helpful Hint of the Day:
    Always TEST DRIVE a car before you lease/purchase it.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    As an idea, would you consider trying the sheepskin wool seat covers advertised in the buff books? Or, for a far out solution, installing a Recaro type seat that you would take out atlease end?
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Could be ingition coils.
    I have a 2004 545 six-speed (manual). 95% of the miles are freeway (70-80) with a few hard accelerations around town. I am getting 20-22mpg actual, but my computer says 25-27mpg.

I took delivery at the end of August. I was going to wait for a 2005, but they told me the 545's would not be available until late November and I did not want to wait -when did you pick yours up?
    Picked it up in Munich on 4 October and shipped it the same day. It arrived at my dealer's in Maryland on 30 October. The car was actually built and stored in a garage by about mid-September. I ordered it on 5 August and I imagine that if you had done the same thing, you'd have had it sometime early last month.
    FYI: Lumbar support on the 545i was on option in 2004 and standard in 2005. I guess BMW figured out it should be standard. However, there are only about 12 options for the 545 as most things are standard and it is pretty clear in the options list. BTW - the lumbar support is great, you adjust the position up/down as well as how much support you want.

I would check with the dealer to find out if a lumbar support seat could be swapped for your seat - it may not be cheap.

If it is really that uncomfortable, I would check with a body shop to see if you could put shims under the seat mount to raise it - this is something I am sure the dealer would not do because it has liability issues.

I agree with div2 - if you are purchasing or leasing a 65k car, I would think you would do a little more research on the options and time for the test drive. I had been to three different BMW dealers over the coarse of my research and everyone of them had a comfort seat car.

For someone like me who is 6'3" the BMW cockpit is one of the few that is roomy enough, unlike my wifes Volvo. The thigh extenders are very usable allowing the seat to adjust from someone who is short to someone who is tall.

My wife, who is 5'7" does not have any problem with the seat adjustments. You have to realize, a BMW cockpit is not designed to have your head in the roof, you do sit lower.

The tone of your email is what prompted me to write this response. Possibly, that is why the dealer will not return your calls. I would try a new approach with the dealer to find a solution: Can a lumbar support seat be added to your car. can the seat be chimed, what aftermarket products exist.
  • rich545rich545 Member Posts: 386
    If you're uncomfortable you're uncomfortable, but I'm 5'8" and I love the seats in my 545 (and I do use the thigh extension as well). That's only 3 inches taller than you. I just drove the car about 1,500 miles in three days and like the seats on the 330xi I used to have I have never found any cars seats that I find more comfortable (note: I like more firm seats so maybe that's where we differ). My fiance is 4'10" and she loves the seats. So I don't think it has to do with height really. Not sure what to tell you, but it's not a design flaw because you're the only person I've heard mention this. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but just that I don't agree.
    I apologize if my tone sounds bothered regarding my uncomfortable seat problem. I have been sitting on a wedge shaped pillow since I got the car, as cassidym so kindly suggested. It helps a lot to be lifted up those 3 extra inches. My upper back and neck strain go away, my head rests back comfortably into the headrest. I'm not that happy with driving around on the wedge in my 63K car, especially when it comes to the valet (and my friends) laughing at me. I don't look as cool as I thought I would in my new 545...

I did test drive the car several times, but I was more worried about how rough the ride was on run-flat tires, whether I would be able to deal with idrive, and trying to decide between 530 and 545. I scoured these boards and learned all about the dirty brake dust and even read one on squeaky comfort seats.

I made some assumptions that turned out to be wrong. I figured that BMW would have the same basic luxury items in the cabin that my other cars have had (like a comfortable seat??). Only after I got the car did I come to learn that feminine ergonomics is not a BMW priority. There is no sunglass holder, no decent usable center console storage (you have to open 2 doors to get to a very small compartment). The door pocket is the only convenient place to put my sunglasses, extra keys, garage door opener, cell phone, etc. The glove box is too far away to reach even when I'm hiked up on my wedge.

Do I dare continue on this forum??? I really don't want to offend anyone with my tone or whining. I do love the way the car drives, steers, handles and brakes. That's why I got it. But the premium stereo really lacks sound quality. Too tinny. No matter how the equalizer, balance, bass and treble are adjusted. My jaguar stereo was full with great bass. The car's stereo rocked. I miss its rich full sound. Having bass tones blare at me from the BMW windshield speakers is awful. Turning down the front speakers turns off nearly all the bass.

Also, the inside lighting is way too harsh and the plastic cover looks really cheap. Turn on those overheads at night and the photophobic response is unbearable. Best to not ever have to turn any of those lights on. The small infrared light beam is pretty useless. The mercedes e320 has much more elegant dimmer lights, just enough to read something without being overbearing.

Finally, the idrive computer is too slow and cumbersome. I am already backed out of my drive and down the street before the park distance control comes on, rendering this feature useless. When I slide the button to select an option, it takes many seconds to respond. In this computer age, I am accustomed to a computer responding much faster, and think this would be important and a priority while operating a car.

I was referred by bmw general manager's assistant to service. Nobody else has this problem, I guess, they never heard of it either. They had nothing to offer to resolve the seat problem, (and I was really sweet when I explained my problem). I will look into replacing the seat, Recaro? You can bet, in 35 months, the next car seat is going to be incredible!
  • carkookcarkook Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 530i and was wondering does the bluetooth work with cell phones or does it require some additional hook ups? Any help is appreciated. Verizon sells a Motorola bluetooth and before I purchase it I wanted to see users experiences.
    Carlook, here's a list I just got from BMW North America that shows all the cell phones that are compatible with the 5-Series bluetooth

AT&T Wireless
    Motorola V600
    Sony Ericsson T616
    Sony Ericsson T637
    Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Cingular
    Motorola V600
    Sony Ericsson T637
    Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued) Siemens S56 (phone is discontinued)

Sprint PCS
    Sony Ericsson T608

T Mobile
    Motorola V600
    Sony Ericsson T610
    Sony Ericsson T68i (phone is discontinued)

Verizon Wireless
    Motorola V710 *No

*Note: The Verizon Wireless Bluetooth phone (Motorola V710) launched in September of this year. This device is not fully supported by BMW’s Bluetooth option. The phone is expected to be compatible with BMW’s Bluetooth option before the end of this year, when Verizon implements new software.
    Wow. I don't think I've ever heard anyone hate a car that they actually took home as much as you seem to. I don't know what you're talking about with the stereo. Maybe something is wrong with your's because mine has tons of bass. Logic7 is widely considered to be one of the best factory car stereos out there. It certainly blows the stereo that was in my 330xi out of the water (and it was premium as well). I don't really get it; you seem to love your Jag and Mercedes so why did you switch to a BMW? A place to put your sunglasses? How about that small compartment right above the ash tray??? Fits my sunglasses just fine (possibly some additional option takes this space up???). My iDrive is on about 2 seconds after the car is started. I really don't know what to say about the lighting. Seems fine to me. I just can't believe you actually drove the car before you got it. Yes, I'm sure you focused on the ride quality, but does that mean you paid no attention to ANYTHING else about the car? I mean, did you know what color it was before you got it home??? Sorry, but it's really odd that you would complain about so much when you decided to get the damn thing.
    One additional thought about the stereo. Are you sure you have Logic7 turned on? I have mine set on concert hall and have tons of bass (with the equalizer set up as well). Also check the regular (non-equalizer) settings for bass and treble. I have both set in the middle so to equalizer is doing most of the work.
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    The discussion about jlapcat's problems sounds like the ones my wife and I have, e.g. "There's no place for my water bottle (which is the liter size, of course)" - response: "You're supposed to have both hands on the wheel while you're driving - not eating and drinking at this speed"; or ""There's no place for my CD's" - response: "Turn the radio off and listen to the music of that engine growl".
    Come on!!! Like most other European marquees, BMW is well designed to drive hard while you concentrate on the road conditions, the traffic and the sound of the car. If one wants to drive around with living room type amenities (which certainly distract from your ability to concentrate on your driving) then he/she should look to buy a van or a Japanese auto.
    (But I do feel bad that jlapcat is stuck with a new 545 for another 3 years. Maybe someone will volunteer to take "the piece of junk" off her hands for the right deal??)
    I will agree with you about the interior light covers, they do not look as elegant as some. However, I like the bright light when I need to read something. One thing you may want to look into is lower watt light bulbs.

BMW's have always been ding ed on their interiors, although I think they did a better job on the E60. Of course, don't ever expect to get a decent cup holder.

The center console is not great. But, I actually like the two compartments to separate things. I am sure the top compartment can be removed (it has to be replaceable if it ever brakes) and this is something you could have the dealer do.

I have found the side door panel works great for sunglasses, cell phone ear piece and wallet. I do not have the Nav, so I have a holder above the ash tray which works great for the cell phone.

I would really check with a good body shop or custom shop about remounting the seat to raise it. I think this would be worth the cost and time and would be more comfortable than sitting on a wedge.
    Ah, so you do lose that little compartment if you have nav (sorry jlapcat, I don't have it either so I wasn't aware of that). My car is getting satellite radio installed today so I wonder if I lose it for that (My guess is that I do). If I do end up losing that compartment I agree that it isn't great because I do like putting my sunglasses there. Guess I'll have to find another place for them; no biggy.
    I think you only lose it for nav - that is where the CD-ROM drive is located, so your sunglasses should be safe.

The satellite should just be a module tucked away somewhere.

Let me know what you think of the satellite. My car is wired for it. I am starting to think of it because I am not thrilled with the radio reception on this car. I guess it can be attributed to the compact antenna.

Has anyone else noticed poor reception compared to other cars that have a full size antenna?
    Does anyone have any experience with a bluetooth phone in the E60's? Is it worth upgrading my cell phone to take advantage of the features?

I have had Nokia phones for a long time, but since they are not bluetooth compatible, is it worth switching to a Motorola?
    You're right. The satellite radio didn't take up the compartment. Obviously I've only had it for a few hours, but I think it's great. It ended up costing about $500 for parts and labor, but BMW picked up the first year of Sirius coverage. I didn't expect that actually, but when I called to active the radio they aid the first year was paid for. No complaints here! Yeah, the reception on my regular radio is not great, and it wasn't great in my 330xi either.
    OK, well, I really do like my BMW, I enjoy driving it. But this forum is called "problems and solutions" and I am looking for some help to better my experience. I like jas' idea of getting dimmer light bulbs for the interior lights. I didn't know that would be an option. And I will take it in this weekend to see if something can be done to raise the seat. I've even looked into having a pad/wedge custom made to fit the dimensions of the seat, and I've found a headrest on the internet that attaches to the front of the seat's headrest, allowing for more support. I probably will look like a 40 year old invalid with all my attachments, but I will save on masseuse costs.

I do have the nav and wasn't able to get satellite radio in the 2004 model. I was told they weren't compatible, but might become so in the future. Because of this, the cars with nav weren't prewired for satellite radio. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved and the 2004 model can have satellite radio installed? I do use the nav quite a bit and like its projection on the head-up display. I find the radio reception to be weak and would love to get the satellite radio. Has anyone gotten an aftermarket satellite radio installed? I see them for sale at Best Buy, etc.

Also, I have fiddled with all the settings on Logic7 stereo and find Concert Hall setting to be the best, would upgrading the speakers improve the sound? This was recommended on an earlier post.

Thanks all.
  • rrusso1rrusso1 Member Posts: 23
    Picked up my new 2005 E60 last week. Brought my new Motorola V600 phone (one of the compatible phones on BMW's list) and asked the dealer to set it up. Unfortunately they were not able to get it to work and said they would have to go back to BMW North America to get further instructions on how to set it up. I was the first person who got a 2005 E60 and wanted to use the Bluetooth so they admitted they didn't yet have any experience with setting the phone up. They were very anxious to get it set up properly since they know there will be many more customers after me who want the phone set up. Hopefully they will have the fix this week. Unfortunately there is always the possibility the problem is in the phone, but they are focusing on the system in the car. When it is in working order I will post the info.
    You can't get sat radio if you have nav in 04 E60's. I emailed BMW directly about this and here is their response:

"The information you have been provided is correct. Sirius is not available on your vehicle with navigation system. BMW has not plans to make both of these features on your vehicle. The navigation system cannot be retrofitted into your 5 Series."

I think they may have corrected this in 05 models, but I'm not sure. My service advisor at my dealership said that they can't have nav and sat together because there aren't enough leads to hook both up at the same time (now there's some good thinking for you huh?). About the stereo, I still don't understand why you think it doesn't have enough bass. I listen to some really bassy music from time to time (like Speakerboxx), and my fiance loves dance music and I actually had to turn down the bass settings because there was so much bass the car was practically bouncing like a low-rider (just kidding). Personal preference I guess, but I just find it odd that I had to turn down the bass and you can't get enough of it. I mean, the car has more sub-woofers than any other factor equiped car I can think of (including the ones under the seats). You can always find better speakers than the manufacturer would use though the ones in our cars are Harman Kardon which certainly ain't bad. One other thing to consider is that just because you buy new speakers doesn't mean the sound will be much better. You need to buy amplifiers as well so you have enough power to drive bigger speakers.
    According to my Service writer, the problem between Nav and SAT radio was that they interfered with each other so BMW didn't offer them together in the 04. Apparently the engineers in Munich stopped redesiging cup holders long enough to solve the problem because I have a 2005 545 with both and they work fine.

I am very pleased with the SAT radio. It is integrated into iDrive and works very well. Reception is excellent. It's cool driving home on the Beltway listening to the news from Dublin, Ireland or classical jazz uninterrupted by commercials. You can preset up to 12 channels on the iDrive SAT Radio section and then page through them using the steering wheel buttons.
  • keelbumpkeelbump Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with a 1997 528i
    overheating.
    These cooling systems, as it turns out,
    go into vapor lock at the water pump.
    There can not be any air at all in the system.
    If the mechanic does not purge all the air
    then it will keep happening again and again.

All I wanted was my thermostat changed and
    it turned into a nightmare.
  • vxjvxj Member Posts: 5
    Hi:
    consider applying 3M clear protection film at dealership prior to delivery.I had one applied to the hood, front bumper,headlights and mirrors. Excellent results. (about $500 to apply).
    VJ
    I saw that in the BMW accessories book, but did not consider it because I thought it would look cheezy.

However, I have 4500 miles on my 545 and have a pretty nasty chip in the front of the hood.

How does the 3M film look? can you tell it is on there? Does water get trapped at the edge? How long does it last?
  • dcheungdcheung Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem on my 2001 540i, the AC/Heater blower does not come on. The fuse list in glove box showed fuse number 76 but I can't find the location. Does anyone know where the blower fuse located?
  • bpb41bpb41 Member Posts: 7
    I have a black 2005 530i on order for January delivery for a lease. I'd like to have a thin tint of privacy glass for the windows. Is this a factory installed option I should ask for now before production starts? What type of cost is involved? Will it be a problem for me because I'll be turning the car in after 36 months? Please advise--any and all advice is appreciated.
                     BPB41
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Get it for sure. I have had it on my car for 18 months. Recently a piece of debris off of a truck hit my head light cover. Ripped into the film but no damage and was easily replaced. The film by 3M looks great still. Water does not penetrate the edge.
  • vxjvxj Member Posts: 5
    Hi Jas:
    3M looks good, completely transparent, can see the edge of film only when you are really close.Water does not get underneath. My dealer gave me 5 year warranty.
    VXJ
    That's what happens when you don't take your BMW to an experienced BMW tech. Every BMW inline six built in the past 45 years-starting with the 2.5 liter SOHC M30-has a cooling system that must be bled in order to eliminate air from the coolant passages. The procedure isn't particulary difficult, but you do have to know what you are doing-and that is a talent your so-called "mechanic" apparently lacks.
    The windows have a decent tint for sunlight. I tinted my rear and rear side windows. In my state the driver windows are illegal to tint, although some people do it.

There are window tint shops. Find a good one that also tints windows for the dealers. I had mine done for $150. The dealer will have one of these guys come in and charge you about $250.

I don't think it would affect your lease, but it can be removed.
  • ericeerice Member Posts: 15
    well, div2, it was this post that got me thinking...why don't I look for a M3/4 door. so I finally found 1 with all the trimmings.

I was going crazy trying to find a 5er with sport pack and 5 speed...M3/4's absolutely have the sport pack and although difficult to find with 5 speed...it was easier than the 5er.

link:

http://members.roadfly.com/epeviston/IMG_2248.JPG

it's not a E39 but, from what I can tell...the only thing you get with the 39 body is a little more headroom in the back seat. I sat in both models at dealer and the front cockpit areas were nearly identicall in size and shape.

the E39 being a bit newer...but the performance of (even the watered down US model) is outstanding.

I'm glad to be back into the game.

Thanks for all of your help!!
  • ericeerice Member Posts: 15
    well, div2, it was this post that got me thinking...why don't I look for a M3/4 door. so I finally found 1 with all the trimmings.

I was going crazy trying to find a 5er with sport pack and 5 speed...M3/4's absolutely have the sport pack and although difficult to find with 5 speed...it was easier than the 5er.

link:

http://members.roadfly.com/epeviston/IMG_2248.JPG

it's not a E39 but, from what I can tell...the only thing you get with the 39 body is a little more headroom in the back seat. I sat in both models at dealer and the front cockpit areas were nearly identicall in size and shape.

the E39 being a bit newer...but the performance of (even the watered down US model) is outstanding.

I'm glad to be back into the game.

Thanks for all of your help!!
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    This past weekend I swapped out the summer wheels for the winter wheels on our 530 and 330. Can anyone tell me why the lug nut torques setting for the 5 series is so much lower than for the 3 series (72lb/ft vs. 88lb/ft)? I used the torque setting recommended in the owners manuals which don't seem to have anything to tire size. The 530 has 16" anf the 330 has 17".
  • 525i04525i04 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 04 525i. Lately my passenger side airbag turns off even when my wife is sitting in the passenger seat. She is 100lbs so it shouldn't turn off. She has to move around for the airbag to be turned on again. I took the car to the dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with the car but it depends on how you sit in the chair. My wife sits like a normal person would sit. They claim that this is a known issue with BMW 5 series and you just have to move your position to activate the bag. My point is what if we get into an accident and the passenger airbag is off. Has anyone else had a similar problem or if you can shed any light on this matter, that would be great
  • hasanashasanas Member Posts: 19
    Recently I've had a bunch of small annoying problems with my 2003 530i auto/SP/CWP sedan 18K miles. The dealer was able to fix most of them, but it took a few weeks due to getting an appt. I had to get the battery replaced, new passenger seat belt, and a few new sensors, and the computer reprogrammed since i was getting the air bag light.

Now, i have a new issue...everytime i accelerate, I hear a whistle sound coming from the car. Has anyone ever experienced that?

Also, I live in NJ and take my car to get repaired at Princeton BMW and I'm not happy with there service or with the dealership all together. Anyone from NJ can recommend any other dealership to go to service too?

Thanks.
    Excellent choice! The E36 M3 has lots of go-fast goodies available for it as well. Enjoy it, its a keeper. Now you need to start attending some CCA driving events :)
    When I took delivery of my 04, my salesman said that the weight limit on activating the passenger airbag was quit high. He ran into the same problem with a customer. I thought he had said it can range as high as 107 lbs.

I think they build their women in Germany a little bigger.

I know my Denali is set at 75lbs which seems more reasonable.

I think it is something you should bug BMW about from a liability issue. Maybe you can get them to change the sensor weight or offer a lower weight option.
  • kilokajikilokaji Member Posts: 1
    I just recently (today 11/23/04) had my 530iA stall out and run rough until I got home. I used my new Bavarian OBD II scan tool and identified my issue as "Intake camshaft position sensor." I have the same questions, can I repair it myself and how much is the cost?
    The Intake CPS is located on the left side of the cylinder head-roughly in line with the oil filter housing. The CPS costs around $90 and is held in with a socket headed bolt. The job is a bit fiddly but doable. Replace the sealing o-ring while you are at it.