Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-150 Check Engine Light

tdlewistdlewis Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Ford
I have a 96 F-150 with the 5.0 liter V8. A while back the "Check Engine" light illuminated. There is no noticeable change to the way it runs, except the mileage has decreased slightly. I disconnected the battery in hoping it would reset, it re appeared. Does anyone have any suggestions short of taking it in for an expensive diagnostic check.

Thanks

Comments

• 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    You need a scanner to pull the codes and fix the problem AND to clear the codes.
    When the problem is repaired, the light will go out.
  • wing5nutwing5nut Member Posts: 38
    Just had the same problem with a '93 E-150 Van. Turned out to be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The independent shop that did the repairs told me when the regulator goes bad, it pulls more fuel through the pump and decreases gas mileage. They said if it went unchecked, it can quickly cause the fuel pump to go bad. The cost to replace the regulator is about half the cost of a fuel pump replacement.

That may not be the cause of your problem, but it's one possibility to consider. Good luck in resolving your problem quickly!

wing5nut
    Columbus, OH
This discussion has been closed.