Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize/Compact trucks--diesel available?

mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
edited April 2014 in Ford
I'm looking for an s-10/ranger sized truck with a diesel engine in it. The only one that I know of is the S-10s from the early 80's. Does anyone know of any current maker of a small diesel truck?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    why would you want an S-10 with a diesel?
  • mdecampsmdecamps Member Posts: 115
    reliability, fuel economy (we need it these days)

I could argue for hours....
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    yea but with a diesel come added costs
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    No S-10 ever came with a diesel. The Chevy Luv did have one, but that was a rebadged Isuzu. Same for Ford. They had a rebadged Mazda with a diesel, but the Ranger never had one. Dodge used to sell a rebadged Mitsubishi with a turbo diesel. But no American mid-size truck from the 80's ever had a diesel.
    It's a shame that no one offers a small turbo diesel now because I think there would be a good market for one. I have a 1.9L turbo diesel in my 2001 VW Jetta and it runs GREAT! I would be the first one to buy a small truck if it had that engine in it....
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    The S10 did have a diesel in the early 80's. I think it was an Isuzu.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    80-83 VW Pickup with diesel. Chevy Luv had a diesel. Toyota had diesel in 2WD and 4WD up to about '85. Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi) in 2 and 4WD in early 80's. International Scout Terra (yes there was a Midsize) had diesel up to the very early 80's (it was a Nissan Motor). Isuzu pickup had diesel. Mazda had diesel. Ford Ranger was sold with diesel in early 80's.
    You will have to buy an older one and probably do some work on it. Be patient and do a lot of searching. I have found several but none that were the type/price looking for.

Why would you want a diesel? Diesels last 300,000 plus miles. Diesel trucks have too much torque. Diesel trucks in the compact size get 30 MPG plus. Diesel is cheaper than gasoline the majority of the year. ($1.31 vs. $1.85 for unleaded regular in my area right now). Diesels have fewer maintenance items than a gasoline engine.

Yep, you would have to be a card short of a deck to want a diesel.

P.S. I have a VW Diesel (car) and am laughing all the way to the bank on how goofy I am to be getting 40 MPG plus and great drivability. I thought diesels were a POS until I drove them in Europe. I was wrong but I did learn.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    No S-10 had a diesel...Well yes it did. Below is some S-10 engine history.

An extended cab model and the Insta-Trac 4x4 system were introduced.
    Available engines included
    an 84 HP / 101 TQ 1.9L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin A)
    an 83 HP / 108 TQ 2.0L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin Y)
    a 58 HP / 93 TQ 2.2L Diesel 4 cyl (Vin S)
    a 110 HP / 148 TQ 2.8L 2 bbl carburated V6 (Vin B).

A heavy-duty suspension and off-road package was introduced.
    Hydraulic style clutch introduced.
    an 83 HP / 108 TQ 2.0L 2 bbl carburated 4 cyl (Vin Y)

GM discontinued the 2.0L engine in the S-Series and replaced it with the 2.5L
    a 92 HP / 132 TQ 2.5L "Iron Duke" TBI 4 cyl (Vin E)
    The problem with the diesels then were that few (if any) were turbo. That's free power!!! I really hope that someone gets smart and markets one again these days. I emailed Chevy, and they wouldn't give me any info on the new s series trucks that are coming out next year....I hope it's available.
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I haven't seen a diesel in a mini/mid size since the early eighties.
    But there is hope. Ford is going to introduce a diesel for European bound Explorers in the near future. Possible this engine can find it's way into the U.S. market. Also within the next 2 years Ford and GM will offer diesels in the fullsize 1/2 ton trucks. Baby versions of the Powerstroke and the Duramax.
    I hope that marketing pressure will make Nissan and Toyota bring back diesels in the U.S.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Where did you get the information about a baby Duramax? This site http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/ says it won't be offered in 1/2 ton trucks.
  • ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    and it runs freakin' GREAT! 2000 Golf gets 40+ mpg at 70mph with 4 passengers and 7 days luggage with a/c on!! Trouble free.

Why a diesel indeed...haha
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I don't remember where I read about the baby Duramax. It was either a webpage or magazine. A
    detuned V8 Duramax for the 3/4 ton Suburbans so the 4L80E auto can survive (Allison will not fit in the tranny tunnel). A V6 Duramax for 1/2 trucks and Tahoes.
This discussion has been closed.