Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

self oil change

13»

Comments

• kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    and it works like a charm. Old Jiffy Lube trick. put a rag over the vaccuum hole so it fits snugly against the valve cover. Once you remove the plug, it makes a funny gurgling sound.
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    You've seen a lot of changes at Jiffy Lube, have you seen a new Tribute/Escape yet? I am getting ready to do my first oil change so I crawled under there and took a look. I hate to say it but this will be my first "do it yourself" oil change, however, could it be as simple as it appears. The filter looks easy to get at and the drain plug is right there opposite side of the where the filter is. Am I not looking at the right plug? Thanks in advance for any info.
  • dpwestlakedpwestlake Member Posts: 207
    That's about it. Unscrew the filter, clean the surface on the engine where the gasket makes contact, put a film of oil on the gasket on the new filter, screw it on hand tight.

Take the plug out, wait for the oil to drain, put the pug back in and add the proper amount of oil to the engine.

Start it, check for leaks, and you're done.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,686
    I was a little worried about changing the oil myself when I first got my Intrepid. I guess it was just that "new car" fear, that everything would be too hi-tech and complicated to get to.

Turns out the Intrepid is one of the easiest cars I've ever changed the oil on! The only tricky part is getting the jack just right, or you'll jack up the engine!

My grandfather used to be a part-time mechanic, and he quit working on cars in the mid 70's, because they started getting too complicated for him. I think that may be where part of my "new car" fear is rooted!

-Andre
    dpwestlake summed it up. I am assuming you have the 6 cylinder. I don't believe that those have drains on the transmission, so the oil plug shouldn't be hard to mistake. Just be careful, the oil filter is near one of the exhaust manifolds. If you have the 3.0L duratec V6, it should hold 5.5 quarts of oil. Don't worry about finding 5w20 oil, 5w30 will work just fine. Oh yeah, make sure the old filter gasket comes off with the filter.
    After dealing with my 92 Saturn on a simple battery change for the last 9 years, well, dealing with is an understatement as the heat shield over the battery was designed by a moron, I was a little timid of doing my own oil on any new car. But like I said, when I crawled under the Tribute I was just amazed at how logically everything appeared to be placed. Oh, yes newcar, I have the 3.0l V6 engine. As for 5W-20, well I am going to use that weight as Amsoil makes it in a synthetic. At least for 36 months/50,000 miles. Then I will switch to the 5W-30. Thanks again guys.
    but, shouldn't I drain the majority of the oil first and then change out the old filter while the oil is draining?
    doesn't matter.
    That is not a stupid question. When I am at work and the customer is watching the oil change I always seem to have some customer tell the guy upstairs that you cannot add oil with the oil filter off. Like Dpwestlake said, it doesn't matter, but the oil will drain quicker if it is draining while the oil cap is off, the dipstick is pulled, and the oil filter is off.
    Actually any one of those three will provide a vent so the oil drains faster.
  • altondaltond Member Posts: 1
    I changed the oil my-self on my wife's BMW 318is. Is there a way to reset the computer so that the ois service lights are reset. Thanks
    Daved 710
    After thirty some years, I can't wait to change my own oil . . . now when is that UPS guy going to show up with my amsoil order?
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    Yes, there are several tools on the market, and they start at $50 or so. Some combine the reset tool with an ODB-II scanner for engine trouble codes.

(see http://www.peakeresearch.com/si_tool.shtml )

However, if you just change the oil and don't do any other service, I would probably just drive the car to the nearest BMW dealership and have them reset it. Mine does that for free.

• armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    One of the reasons I hate Bimmers, (love to own an M3 though) arrogant service depts. require you to go in to get the service light reset and/or purchase a tool. I would negotiate the tool as a part of the purchase price. The GM cars that have this function can be reset via a button on the dash or via the ignition.
  • haspelbeinhaspelbein Member Posts: 227
    ...try Mercedes. The BMW service departments I've dealt with were actually quite the opposite, overly friendly. (For that amount of money, I'd be too.)
    And believe me, the $50 for the reset tool would be negligible compared to the cost of buying and owning an M3.
    Thanks to all for answering my questions. Yesterday I performed my first oil change on the Tribute. She know has a full belly of Amsoil 5W-20 and a Amsoil filter (although the motorcraft filter I took off looked pretty good, aren't they made be purolator?). Anyway, all went smooth until I had to remove the old filter. The engine was hot, so the filter was a little tight. I have to admit, that I had her up on the ramps (thanks for the Kmart tip, they were only $14.97 for the set) and the oil draining before I realized that I didn't buy a wrench to remove the filter. Oh well, the screwdriver came to the rescue. I replaced the filter, the plug, and 5 quarts, and let her run for a few minutes. No leaks. Took her down off the ramps and finished filling her with the next 1/2 quart. Drover to dinner, no leaks, and checked her again this morning, no leaks. I'm know good for the next 7500 miles/six months. Thanks again all.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    There are some jars with very large lids that are on very tight. Using one of the oil filter wrenches solved the problem.
This discussion has been closed.