Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best Hot Hatch - SVT, Civic Si, GTI, RSX, Mini, Beetle...

1121314151618»

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Colorado: We completely understand that you are NOT happy with your NB Conv. Please don't post the same message in all threads under the New Beetle topic. Reading the same message over and over is a waste of time.

Please let us know how your Lemon law status comes along!!
  • nemonemo Member Posts: 7
    I got an 02 SI, i don't like how the sunroof operates (stops halfway??), compared to the twist dial i see in the vw - and frankly it could use a 6th gear like the rsx and a more adjustable driver's seat/telescopic wheel. But it was in the buget and likely to last. Though I'd like to hear about serious new lemons in the honda family if any has this experiance. that's what pushed me away from the golf and mini - comparing equal numbers of reviews for the three cars.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    nemo, you can bypass that, though it takes some effort:

http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/
  • cooperladycooperlady Member Posts: 7
    I love the Mini and I have a 2005 and likely will be trading it in for the 2007. THe Civic is great as well. However the Focus well let me just put it this way its a Ford so no comment Lol
  • kjs825kjs825 Member Posts: 7
    Not surewhere you are getting your info.....butI read several of your emails....and no offense ,but wrong on alot of what you mentioned.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    You replied to an post that was almost 5 years old. njbongo hasn't posted since 2001 , so he probably won't tread your response LOL
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Here it is:

Edmunds comparison test of the (in alphabetical order) Civic Si, Cobalt SS, Mazdaspeed3, Mini Cooper S, Suburu WRX TR, and VW GTI. Since all (except the Cobalt) are available as hatchbacks, I thought this would be a good place to hash this one out....

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=117762?tid=edmund- s.il.home.photopanel..1.*
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    I liked this article...but i knew that the mazdaspeed 3 would take it without question. Although its numbers were better in many areas over the si and mini, i was suprised to see the gti so low, just above the cobalt. Personally i think its the best dressed out of all of these cars and the comment on it being the best daily driver meant a lot, as did the comments on the mini and gti offering the most interesting and uniqe (albeit ultra precise rides.) The civic close to the top made me smile too. If honda would turbo and VW would stiffen, i think this would have been switched around a bit. I don't think it was fair that they opted to use a 2 door gti and 2 door si, they both would have scored better in practicality dept that way. Both models are available so i dunno what the deal was. There was an interesting 2nd opinion; stating that although the ms3 seems to be the most practical; how practical can an ultra stiff, loud and very-rough-riding-almost-30k hatchback be? The nightrider stereo was funny too. (Don't hassel the hoff! ;) )

Rorr, i wanted to know what you meant by the si being a hatchback...maybe in europe, but its a different animal, the hatchback si is no more in the states.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I don't think it was fair that they opted to use a 2 door gti and 2 door si, they both would have scored better in practicality dept that way."

They only tested what THEY could actually lay their hands on at the time of the test.

Which explains why the Mazdaspeed3 they tested was a fully loaded Grand Touring edition (w/ the optional Nav system) which hurt it in the 'value' category.

Obviously, one can read these things lots of different ways. You might have an issue with docking either the Si or GTI for 'practicality' when they didn't test the available 4-door versions. Fair enough. I might have an issue that they docked the Speed3 for 'value' when they only tested the most expensive version available.

BTW - regarding the Si: for some reason, I've always associated Si's with hatchbacks (going back to my first '86 CRX Si and later on my '92 Civic Si). I had forgotten that this particular iteration was only available as either a 2-dr coupe or 4-dr sedan. Bleah. Personally, I'd rather have a hatch (but that's a purely subjective opinion on my part).

"...the comments on the mini and gti offering the most interesting and uniqe (albeit ultra precise rides.)"

How in the heck did you get the impression that they judged the GTI to have an "ultra precise ride"? I quote: "...and it's the least involving car to drive as a result."

"If honda would turbo and VW would stiffen, i think this would have been switched around a bit."

If. Perhaps. Maybe. But they don't.

"...how practical can an ultra stiff, loud and very-rough-riding-almost-30k hatchback be?"

Again, from the comparison:

"On rough roads this car (Speed3) wasn't always as composed as we'd like, but only the WRX was better over a less-than-perfect surface."

Um, that would mean that it was better than the GTI and Si over rough roads. Almost 30k? Come again? Even a LOADED Speed3 (Grand Touring w/ Navigation, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, floormats, and destination) is under $27k. BTW - a check of local dealers (central Texas) shows four Speed3 Sports available with an MSRP of under $23k.

And from the comparison referring to the Speed3: "...but also the easiest package to live with."

I guess they equate 'ultra stiff, loud and very-rough-riding' with easiest to live with... :confuse:
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    How in the heck did you get the impression that they judged the GTI to have an "ultra precise ride"? I quote: "...and it's the least involving car to drive as a result."

i saying that they were unique, even if they lacked precision. Why is that hard to understand? i typed it clearly enough. The civic si stopped being a hatch aroun 96, then came the 2 door coupe si and then the hatch from 02-05. That hatch, although i loved the styling, would have been much better suited as an ex only model, an exclusively trimmed hatchback, but not as an si.

And i'm through arguing about the ms3. Cabron.
  • go_snail_gogo_snail_go Member Posts: 6
    I finally have a chance to buy a new car. My current vehicle is a Honda CRV that will soon be my daughter&#146;s first car. Now it&#146;s time for Dad to play. What would you buy, or recommend buying, if you were in the <$30k market and had the following criteria?

Must be: 4 door, automatic, decent mpg, reliable, comfortable/confident at 80+ mph, and FUN to DRIVE.

So far, I&#146;m considering the GTI (4dr), GLI, S40, TSX, WRX, Accord V6, and Legacy GT. Your advice, experience, or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    go_snail_go
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,940
    If it had to be an automatic, I'd opt for the Accord.

Turbo + automatic is not a good equation, so that rules out the WRX, S40 T5, and Legacy GT.

The GTI is also a turbo, but by all accounts its got very little lag and a great auto tranny. Problem is, I don't trust VW reliablity enough to purchase one. If you are leasing, it might be a different story.

honestly, I don't find the Accord all that fun, but it would be my pick out of this particular automatic-hampered list.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I remembered posting in this topic a few years ago, so I did a search and my last round of posts were in 2002 when I was contemplating (at the time, and later purchased) a Ford Focus ZX5. Field has changed a bit with the addition of the Mazda speed3, the dropping of the RSX, newer Honda Si and VW GTI...plus soon a new Mini as well.
  • svosvo Member Posts: 2
    "GTI (4dr), GLI, S40, TSX, WRX, Accord V6, and Legacy GT" GTI with DSG trans and aftermarket chip & suspension is AWESOME (I've owned 4 modified VWs. No reliability issues) The GTI is assembled in Germany- big difference. The horror stories have been for Mexican made Golfs & Jettas. GLI: Assembled in MX- watch out. S40: A German Opal/Mazda 3. Not a bad car, but not very invovlving. TSX: Great reliability, but all Hondas have large yawn factor, IMHO. Save NSX & R. WRX is a great, stupendously ugly car. Accord V6: You're kidding, right? Seen the Camry commercial with the dad at the diner punching his bad-[non-permissible content removed] drag buddies? If you believe that actually happens, buy the Accord. Legacy GT has actually had some QC problems, but its a tight car and less hideous than the WRX. What about the Mazdaspeed 6? Might be a touch over budget, but its a nice car all around. Also, the A3 with DSG, sport package and a chip would be a very nice way to go. A refined and better-built, more handsome AWD GTI,
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    Here's two more good hatches for you....................although the latter ones will probably never be seen in NA. I drive the Fabia and smile an awful lot. :)

www.honda.co.uk/ look for Civic Type R

www.skoda.co.uk/ look for Fabia vRS or Octavia vRS (gasoline or diesel)

Enjoy.
  • hatchbackfreakhatchbackfreak Member Posts: 8
    Audi A3, Volvo C30, BMW 130i and Mazdaspeed 3 for me. Sadly we never saw any Focus RS and Civic Type-R anymore. What the heck are they thinking???
  • jusben1369jusben1369 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 GTi and am thinking of chipping. However, my assumption is that the car is in "fine balance" and at some point increasing the power output will have all sorts of follow through issues. Thoughts?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Will the electric Mini be a hot hatch?
This discussion has been closed.