Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy 1500HD Reviews

nordsjnordsj Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
So what does everyone think of their 1500HDs?

After test driving the Ford 150 & 250 Supercrew and jumping in a Chevy HD for a hour drive, there
was a considerable difference.
1)Fords are higher, but only because of suspension blocks.
2)Fords look great on the outside, but interior
is bland.
3)Chevy I believe could of spiced the exterior up some but the interior is more refined.
and the LT pkg is more/less like the SUVs.
4)Noise levels are much lower on the Chevy, including Road & Motor noise.
5)Chevy 1500HD 4x4 Payload = 2847.
Ford Supercrew 150 = 1670.
6)Chevy 1500HD 4x4 GVWR = 8600.
Ford Supercrew 150 = 7700.

I was debating between the 2500HD 4x4 LS Crew and/or the 1500HD 4x4 LT Crew. It was a long drawn out process and I finally ended up with the 1500HD 4x4 LT Crew Cab.
Options: SummitWhite, Tan Leather interior, 6.0l, 4.10Ratio, Electronic Climate Control, Polished aluminum Wheels, Locking Rear Differential, Rear Window Defogger, Complete Trailering Pkg. Wheel Flares, Deep Tinted Glass.
Then I'll be putting on a Topper and having the lower 1/4 half painted light tan to match the interior.
Anyone know of nice looking running boards and mud flaps for this truck?

I'll be posting to this forum in the near future as I have more driving / towing reviews on this truck.

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    http://www.huskyliners.com

check out http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

for pics of them on my truck

Ryan

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I picked up a flyer at my local Chevy dealer on the 1500HD, and they compare it to the Ford F-150 Super Crew. I find this rather interesting for the following reasons:

• The new 1500HD is really nothing more than a short-bed crew cab using the Chevy 2500 specs, which has an 8600 GVW. This is the first time I believe that a so-called "1/2" ton" pickup has ever used a 8600 lb. gvw. I know Chevy has offered a 1/2 ton Suburban with a diesel with a 8600 gvw, but I believe in the past 8600 has always been a heavy-duty 3/4 ton pickup model. So, I guess now we can expect to see other 8600 gvw 1/2 ton pickups in the future.

• I mentioned in my post title that this is a "marketing" issue. Chevy thinks most customers will be personal use buyers, as opposed to commercial buyers. Most personal use folks who think of "personal use," think of the "1500" series, not the "2500" series.

• And to further confuse the issue, Chevy will be marketing a "2500 series" Avalanche, in addition to the 1500 Avalanche in the fall. The 2500 Avalanche and the 1500HD Crew cab both have a 2500 GVW. Don't you think that the 1500/2500 Avalanche is going to compete with the new 1500HD Crew Cab? I do. I guess Chevy is betting that folks who are turned off by the "over-the-top" styling of the Avalanche will opt for the more conservative looking 1500HD Crew Cab. Confused? I know I am.

Bob
    To my knowledge the Super Crew comes only as a F-150 model, with a 2WD gvw of 6600, and 4WD gvw of 6750, not the figures Jo posted in post #1. Ford does make a F-250 Super-Duty Crew Cab, but that's a completely different animal from the F-150 Super Crew.

Bob
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Good posts Bob.
    <<The 2500 Avalanche and the 1500HD Crew cab both have a 2500 GVW.>>

That should have read:

The 2500 Avalanche and the 1500HD Crew cab both have a 8600 GVW.

Bob
  • horsesformehorsesforme Member Posts: 1
    I have a z71 with 252,000 miles 1995(no troubles
    except 1 alternator and an air conditioned.
    I am going to purchase a new truck. I need to find out what type of silage these trucks are getting on the highway(new 1500 4wd crew cab).
    I'm gonna guess you could eek out 15 on a good day, and 14 without much difficulty if you're empty. Towing...not enough info, but maybe as bad as 10-11, worse if you're at the limit.

But...252,000 miles on the '95? I'd say that one deserves to be retired and put out to stud, a good one!

A lot of driving, you are doing! Towing lots? Auto or manual on the '95?
  • s_matzs_matz Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into purchasing a 1500HD. I have been waiting many years for a true 4-door 1500 series truck with a regular size bed. So Chevy has delivered. My question is how much below MSRP are the dealers going on these trucks. I went to a local dealer this morning and he only had one and it was not 4wd. I may have to wait on the 2002 models. Any input from those who have recently purchased one would be greatly appreciated.
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    My brother who lives in NJ just bought one for about $800 over invoice (that also takes into account the regional advertising fee which was about $400). I'm sure he could have done better but he's not a very aggressive person when it comes to dealing with salespeople.

Campo57
    Your comment here is interesting:

<< I am looking into purchasing a 1500HD. I have been waiting many years for a true 4-door 1500 series truck with a regular size bed >>

In my earlier post I suggested that Chevy labeled this vehicle a "!500" rather than a "2500" model for marketing purposes, even though it rides on the 2500 series 8600 lb. gvw chassis.

Your above comment proves my point. If this vehicle had been labeled a "2500" instead of a "1500," I suspect you probably would not have considered it.

Ahhh, the power of savvy marketing...

Bob
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    if the frames are the same on the 1500HD as the standard 1500?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    frames are not the same
    It's built using 2500 series components, not 1500 series components. It's got a 8600 gvw, so the frame must be quite a bit stronger than those found in the 1500 models.

Bob
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    If they don't bounce I'll buy one!
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    The 1500HD is basically the same truck as the 1999 and 2000 model year 2500. Its got a heavier frame, springs, axles, brakes, etc. than the standard 1500, but not as heavy as this year's 2500HD. And I'm sure it bounces more than a standard 1500.
  • randyprandyp Member Posts: 3
    It is a little stiffer but ride quality is much better, it is much quieter, and not intimidating(ask my wife) to drive at all. It does take thought when parking in a crowded parking lot but is nothing like most 3/4 tons(Ford SD series). I did not buy over 2500HD due to marketing(was going to buy 2500hd, drove the 1500hd and couldn't pay the extra $900.00). Also, step in height seems lower(might be my imagination). Grill and hood(I like both) but I think the 2500HD looks a little out of balance with the tires vs size of wheel openings. I really like the 1500hd and averaged 14.9 mpg on 1400 mile round trip to disneyworld doing 75-80 most of the time. Kids and wife thought it was super comfortable.
    Is that the old or new body '99 you're referring to?
  • randyprandyp Member Posts: 3
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    The 1500HD & 2500HD both have the same wheel openings (fenders / bed). The difference is the height of the frame, which raises the height of the body from the suspension, giving the appearance of a larger opening.

Yes you are correct on the step in height, also for the same reason.

Best of luck with your truck.
    -Eric
  • nordsjnordsj Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I'm back with about 1,800 mi on the truck.

1500HD 4x4 LT CrewCab

First issue - Tranny was replaced @ 450mi

It was intermitted in going into reverse.

Since then it's did it 3 times, If it happens

a 4th time she going back to the dealer.

Otherwise I love this truck!

Photos:

http://community.webshots.com/album/13776922cTltRRmmmG

Pros:

*Tons of power to tow our 23ft Boat (Cuddy)

*Very Quiet interior. little wind and road noise..

*Lot's of Looks from the Ford folks!

*There is not as many on the road as ford (mainly because they are so new) it's nice having a truck not everyone and their brother has...

*Plenty of leg room in the back seat

*VERY solid construction, Frame / chassis.

*Drives great! Seats, fit you like a glove.

Cons:

*Gas Mi - avg 14.0

*I have the 4.10 rear-end

*Tranny was replaced @ 450mi

*MONTHLY PAYMENTS... :-(

*It sits about 1/2" lower on driver's side??? (not a big deal though)

*Firestone Tires - They look great and they look much better than the basic tires, before the upgrade.

*Wish it sat up like the 2500HD, (but I saved $$$$.$$) and really did not need that extra

beefed up 2500HD.

Ask me, would I buy one again???

O ya...!

One other advantage (IMO) with the 1500HD vs. the 2500HD crew cab, is that you get the "AutoTrac" 4WD, which has an auto 4WD on-demand mode. The 2500HD doesn't offer that.

That's a great feature on transitional surfaces.

Bob
  • wlm26wlm26 Member Posts: 33
    Recently decided it was time to buy a new truck. Was coming from a standard cab Sierra 1/2 ton standard cab, 2wd. Decided to move up to a crew cab pick up, 4wd. I had seen pictures of the GMC Sierra crewcab and started looking for info on them. I swear, it was like a slap to the face!! 1/2 ton HD?!?!?!?! Like I posted on another forum, if it looks like an orange, smells like an orange, and tastes like an orange, guess what? It's an orange!!!! The Silverado/ Sierra crewcab 1/2 ton HD's are nothing more than 3/4 ton pickups. Plain and simple. Here I was thinking that GM would follow suit with the F150 Supercrew and just take a Tahoe/ Yukon and put a bed on it. Nope!! Idiots!!! Why in the hell would they think that if someone wants a crewcab they're only going to use it for work?!?!?!?! The local GM dealers can't give the crecabs they have instock away!!!! And yet I see Supercrews on every single block!!! And guess what? I bought one and love it!! GM, if you read this, it would be a good idea to do a OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP of your marketing department and go out to hire some fresh new people. You're loosing millions compared to the Supercrew and you always will.
    Supercrew for anything other than hauling the family which an Odyssey would do better? I thought that it had at least a 6.5' bed when it came out. After seeing one, the bed is smaller than a Tundra...geez what can you put in there cept a couple of dogs or bags of groceries.
    You can't compare a 1500 to a 2500LD. The bed is larger, so is the brakes, heavier frame. I mean but an Odyssey if you want a family hauler cause the Tundra's bed is larger than that Supercrew....and that isn't saying much......
    I like to sit up where I can see what's going on. I ocassionally have more than just a couple people so can use the back seat and would like 4 real doors. Once in awhile I even use the bed for something. Last time was to bring home a TV. But I don't haul heavy loads and I don't tow anything. Don't even want a hitch on it. So do I need a 1500HD? Nope. But I would like a smooth riding 1500 Crew Cab.
    FYI: I posted the following before (post #3) in this forum, addressing the same issue. If you've already read it, my apologies for reposting.

<< <B>Interesting marketing on Chevy's part by rsholland  Jun 24, 2001 (07:23 am)

I picked up a flyer at my local Chevy dealer on the 1500HD, and they compare it to the Ford F-150 Super Crew. I find this rather interesting for the following reasons:

&#149; The new 1500HD is really nothing more than a short-bed crew cab using the Chevy 2500 specs, which has an 8600 GVW. This is the first time I believe that a so-called "1/2" ton" pickup has ever used a 8600 lb. gvw. I know Chevy has offered a 1/2 ton Suburban with a diesel with a 8600 gvw, but I believe in the past 8600 has always been a heavy-duty 3/4 ton pickup model. So, I guess now we can expect to see other 8600 gvw 1/2 ton pickups in the future.

&#149; I mentioned in my post title that this is a "marketing" issue. Chevy thinks most customers will be personal use buyers, as opposed to commercial buyers. Most personal use folks who think of "personal use," think of the "1500" series, not the "2500" series.

&#149; And to further confuse the issue, Chevy will be marketing a "2500 series" Avalanche, in addition to the 1500 Avalanche in the fall. The 2500 Avalanche and the 1500HD Crew cab both have a 8600 GVW. Don't you think that the 1500/2500 Avalanche is going to compete with the new 1500HD Crew Cab? I do. I guess Chevy is betting that folks who are turned off by the "over-the-top" styling of the Avalanche will opt for the more conservative looking 1500HD Crew Cab. Confused? I know I am. >>

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm convinced this was a marketing decision, nothing else. They (marketing) apparently think if they stuck a "2500" badge on it instead of a "1500HD," that they would lose consumer (as opposed to commerical) sales, because it would be perceived as a 3/4 ton, and not a 1/2 ton.

I do agree&#151;it's dumb, and confusing. Your post accurately reflects that.

Bob
  • maringamaringa Member Posts: 36
    I wish GMC would add some engine options to the 1500HD. The only option available is the 6.0 liter. I would rather have the 5.3 engine available for this model as it would provide better mileage and adequate power (more power than Ford's Supercrew). Yes, I want to use a crew cab for just hauling family and light hauling. I don't need the HD suspension/engine.
    They possibly dont use the 5.3 in the CC because it doesnt provide enough power?

How do you know the 5.3 would be adequete? The truck is on the 2500LD platform which means it is heavier duty than a 1500. The 1500HD is all marketing
    isn't offered on the 2500 pickup or 2500 Suburban. That's probably why it's not offered on the 1500HD Crew cab.

Bob
  • jokingjoking Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone!

I just recently ordered a '02 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab LT which should come to the dealer sometime in late Sept. or early Oct. I am really excited about getting it but I wonder if I screwed up on something? I ordered the 4.10 ratio rear axle and I wondered what the difference would be in fuel mileage if I would have ordered the 3.73 rear axle instead? I think we're only talking about 1-2 mpg. difference. The engine is the 6.0L V8 Vortec. If anyone out there can enlighten me I would appreciate it!
    Joe
  • slamit78163slamit78163 Member Posts: 6
    Joe:

I've got the GMC 1500HD w/ 3:73's and I consistantly get 14.5/15 mpg in town and easily get 16.5/17 on the Hwy.
  • nordsjnordsj Member Posts: 3
    Well, the truck is done for this year... What's next? Graphics and BIGGER Tires!

As for the problems. I hope they are all fixed otherwise a Toyota could be in my future, I'll just have to wait till a 4-door Tundra is available though.

Took it to a section of concrete highway where the expansion joints bounce my 1500 xcab. The 1500HD was quieter and also bounced like a mexican jumping bean. Don't know if getting rid of the Firestones would help or changing out the shocks....maybe a camper? The salesman tried to talk while I drove over the section of highway but gave up cause the bouncing caused his voice to warble.....
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    Do the wheels on the 1500HD have 6 or 8 lugs.

I have a 1999 Z71 and am thinking about putting on some larger tires. The stock wheels will handle 285 75 16 with no problem, I have even seen 305 70 16 tires on stock wheels, but think that is pushing it a little. If I spring for new wheels will they fit on the 1500HD? I am thinking on upgrading to a crew cab and the 1500HD will be on my short list.
    it has 8 lugs
  • dgore1dgore1 Member Posts: 20
    I purchased my Chevy LS 1500HD in late July. I've noticed, as have many on this posting, that the 1500HD sits lower than the 2500HD. I'd like to upgrade the stock tires to 265-75/16's or 285-75/16's, but I want to raise the front end to level out the truck.

1) Does anyone have any reliable information or know where I might find information on adjusting the front torsion bars to level out the truck?
    2) Does anyone know what's involved in moving to a larger tire? Will I need to change any of the computer equipment, etc?

Thanks,
    David
    cranking up the torsion bars is EASY!!! If you have an 18mm socket you can do this in 5-10 min

Measure both sides of the truck. Jack the front of the truck up. Crank the bolts (i suggest 3-5 turns). Jack the truck down measure make sure both sides are equal. drive it for a day or two then get the front aligned. Also make sure you leave some thread on the bolts do not tighten them all the way. Both sides may have unequal thread left. I know the pass side on mine has about 5 threads left and the drivers side has 3.

For larger tires if you go to 285's to reporgram your speedo you will need to buy a programmer (dealer cant fix). They can only correct up to 265's. Your speedo will be off when you go to a larger tire. Also your abs might be off. Other than that it should be ok.

I have done both (jack torsion bars and i have 285's on my Z71)

If you need any more info let me know
    Ryanb0928@yahoo.com
    I hate to rain on Ryan's party, but I don't recommend cranking up the torsion bars. As he said, it will need to be re-aligned. But don't forget, headlights too will have to be aimed lower. And for what? A truck that's going to squat in the rear when you put a load in it? Rear leaf springs are going to flatten out eventually over time. This is normal. When they do, you'll have the desert pre-runner nose high posture.

They come with the rear end raised slightly for good reason.
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    '98 K1500 'rado ext.cab SB 3.73 5.7 autotrans.

How much of a difference does the one inch diameter make to the ABS? Do I really need to have the calibration done if I go to the larger tire?

Using my spreadsheet to figure 245/75R16 vs 265/75R16 looks to be just over an inch in diameter and just under 4 percent odometer reading.

Width (mm) / 25.4 gives width in inches.
    Width (inches) x AR (aspect ratio or 75) gives section height.
    Section Height x2 plus rim gives tire diameter.
    Tire diameter x 22/7 (pi) gives circumference
    5280*12 gives inches in a mile.
    (5280*12) divided by circumference gives revolutions per mile.
    Dividing the revs per mile of the 245 tire by the revs per mile of the 265 tire gives me the approximate 4 percent odometer difference.

I can live with 4 miles per hundred short.
    But, can the ABS be confused if all wheels are the same size? Do we have an air speed indicator or a GeoSat reference that I don't know about?
    my rear end is still 1.5" higher than the front. Headlights are no higher and didnt need to be redirected
    >Headlights are no higher and didnt need to be redirected<

Then the front end isn't really higher. No free lunch.
    quad

I gained 1" in the front the headlights arent affecting any other drivers i havent been flashed yet
    up to 15% without affecting ABS or having a significant affect on the speedo.
  • dgore1dgore1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the advice. I agree that the small amount I want to raise the front end (less than 2") shouldn't materially effect the headlights. How much difference was there between the front and rear of your truck before you started?

Why does an alignment need to be performed after this procedure? Is this something that may or may not need to be done? The truck has just over 5,000 miles on it and I really don't want to upset the factory settings as they seem to be right on.

Also, does anyone know of any problems going to the 265-75/16 tires on the factory rims? They appear to be wide enough to handle this size tire.
    265's will fit fine i have 285s on my stock rims with over 11K

You will want to get the front aligned because cranking the torsion bars will throw the front end off a little. I know my left side was off the most.

The difference in the front and back i dont know offhand i have the numbers somewhere. It was like a 2.5" difference and now it is like 1.25-1.5". Good enough in my book

Hope this helped

Ryan
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Does the 1500HD have recirc ball or rack and pinion steering? I was under the impression it was Recirc but when researching last night, I noticed that the steering ratio was different for the 2500HD and the 1500HD so I was curious.

Jim
    rack and pinion if im not wrong is only on 2wd trucks
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    We've been cranking them for lift/leveling since GM started using them on the S-10's in '83. Good Lord; what's the big deal??!
    -- Don
    many owners of the new Full Sized pick-ups never had torsion bars before. So I'm sorry, but bear with us. We're not the all-knowing ace mechanics that you obviously are.
This discussion has been closed.