Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• minsmins Member Posts: 1
    The best quote on '09 EX-L I've got so far is $30500 + tax. I am in Southern CA, so it would be around 34000 OTD.

Is this a fair price?

Also, what is the price trend on the odyssey new models? If I wait till oct to get '10 model, will the invoice price go up significently?

Thanks,
  • vinehillvinehill Member Posts: 10
    Sorry Donni, I meant holdback (not kickback.)
    Edmunds Dealer Holdbacks
  • makeithappenmakeithappen Member Posts: 10
    This includes dealer installed Pro Package: Wheel locks, Mud guards, etc..

Invoice: $32,060(includes destination)
    Rebate/Incentive: $2500
    Holdbacks: $695 + $365(negotiated)=$1060

Dealer(In Chicagoland) told me that they were gonna take a loss to keep the local customer happy..haha..I don't believe that for a second.

$28,500 for EX-L w/RES a good deal?
    jms8090,

Don't settle for $2500 rebate only. I pulled consumer report pricing on all 2009 odyssey trim levels..You should also get the holdback($739) + you should haggle for additional $. You can do better than just $2500 that's being offered as an incentive.

Hope this help!!
    Not really..It is for EX-L without RES(aka DVD), correct?

For EX-L, you should be around $27,452(includes destination) +TTL.

$30,615 (Invoice)
    -$2,500(Incentive)
    -$663 (Holdback) + you should negotiate additional $..

$27,454 (includes $670 destination charge)
    $149 doc fee
    $268 dealer installed splash and door guards

I'd be curious to get thoughts on this price. Think there's still room to come down or is that pretty much as good as it's going to get in March?
  • mkay1mkay1 Member Posts: 3
    Nice, makeithappen. Tonight I got a quote for a plain EX-L for $27,455. Only $3 off what you said. From what I'm seeing that's not too bad.

A plain EX was quoted at $23773. That also seemed pretty good. Oh yeah, both 2009.
  • sizzle7sizzle7 Member Posts: 17
    was the 23773 also including destination charge?
  • tsvvktsvvk Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering if the total price included "appearance package" that my dealer wants me to pay $595 extra. The dealer said this includes mud guards, pin stripes, wheel locks and some other I can't remember right now. His quote OTD is $23400 - I am debating if the price is anything near what you got.
  • cthalaimcthalaim Member Posts: 12
    Is OTD $23400 is included "apperance package" ($595)?

If yes, then you would be paying $470 extra than my OTD ($22920), but tht goes to additional accessories which I was not showing any interst to my dealer..

probably you can check the accessories prices in the below sites before start negotiation..

www.hondapartsdeals.com
    www.weathertech.com
    www.collegehillshonda.com

which state you are trying for this deal?
    all the best..
  • mkay1mkay1 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the 23773 was with destination charge.
  • jw2009jw2009 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased above vehicle today with OTD $31,023. Talked to several dealers in the local area. I could not get a better offer.
  • newhondain2009newhondain2009 Member Posts: 5
    Mplshondadlr:

I'm buying EX-L w/ RES by next Saturday in Minneapolis. Any ideas who I should talk to locally?

Thanks.
  • vinehillvinehill Member Posts: 10
    I have a few questions and hope to find some help as soon as possible.

1st: I'm looking for feedback to the quote I received for 2009 LX Odyssey.
    MSRP $26925.00 - SALE PRICE $20999.00 - 36 MONTHS/12000 MILES PER YEAR RESIDUAL 52% - MONEY FACTOR .00250 (TIER 1) - FEE'S OF $913.00 -
    BASE PAYMENT $299.93 PLUS $18.00 CT.STATE SALES TAX = TOTAL MONTHLY PAYMENT OF $317.93 (sorry, caps were dealers not mine.)

The total due at signing is the $913.00 which includes 1st Months Payment, $399.00 Delaer Conv.Fee, Registration and $23.94 in sales tax.
    Is this a decent deal? Should I expect to pay the AHFC charge as well even though it's not mentioned?

2nd: Can I keep the factory roof rack from my returning leased Odyssey if I purchased it when I bought the car? Roof rack isn't standard on Base LX and I'd like to save the $400 and change it to the new leased van.

3rd and final: I'm 2000 miles over my leased amount of miles. What strategies work best for having the dealer purchase the leased from AHFC and can I negotiate to have the dealer "forgive" our miles.

Thanks for any and all help!
    When you say you pulled consumer report pricing for all trim levels, what do you mean? Do you mean you paid consumer reports for some special print-out?
    Could you please post the best deals you've gotten in OR or WA. I'm beginning my inquiries in these two states. Thank you!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,555
    Hi, newhondain2009..

He can't possibly answer that question, or he'd be in violation of our strict No Soliciting policy..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I'm wondering how best to canvas the various dealers for best deals. Is it better to email the fleet manager or to call him/her? Or should I just click the "email dealer" button on their website? I suppose this gives the email to a salesperson, which might not be as good as getting the fleet manager. Any thoughts?
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Exactly what our host said. I prefer you speak to me but I cant tell who I am or where I work. :mad:
    I wouldn't dare break the rules (again...) :)
    Sizzle7,

That is correct, I paid $14.00 for the consumer reports printout which lists all the 2009 Odssey Trim level pricing(Invoice, rebates, holdbacks). This printout is available online as soon you pay for the report..In addition, I had to $5.95 to join ConsumerReports online. I was also considering going through Costco's Auto buying program but haven't had a chance to pursue it..Hope this helps!!!
  • emfreakemfreak Member Posts: 2
    pele, i'm in st. louis at well.. which dealer(s) were you able to get the best price from? thanks!
    mkay1,

If you enjoy the art of deal as much as I do, you can take it little further and get additional $ off from the quote you received. I have a dealer that is giving me not only Invoice minus incentives, holdbacks but also additional $500...Only caveat is they're making me pay taxes on the incentives..

Anyhow, to get the additional $ you'll have to do little research..
    1) Find out if the vehicle being quoted is on dealers lot..More the better..If the vehicle is not on the lot, they just can't give you the best price. Do this for four to five dealers..I typically go on to the dealers website for this if you don't get the info there then just simply call them..
    2) Once your research is done then, it's time to call general sales managers at the dealership and start your negotiation..They'll give you all kinds of excuses for providing quote over the phone but stick to your guns and let them know that you're a serious buyer will buy today if the price is right and if they can't negotiate over the phone then move on the next dealer..

3) Eventually, you'll want them to e-mail the OTD price to you so you know exactly what to expect when you walk in to the dealership..Believe me, they'll play games here with the OTD price since you're digging into their margins. Do your own math and make sure the OTD price you get is what you expected.

4) Go make it happen!!!!
  • psrinivpsriniv Member Posts: 41
    west broad honda??

who did u get your quote from in N Va.
    Thanks for the reply. Does Consumer Reports list different rebates than the ones vinehill posted: he said there was 2% holdback off MSRP and $2500 rebate for 2009's. I'm not asking you to post what they are, but just let me know if it's worth it to pay for the report. Thanks!
    I'm wondering if it's really better to wait to get quotes at the end of the month? I know what I want right now, but should I wait? Thanks!
  • knowit2knowit2 Member Posts: 7
    Just so everyone knows. March 31 is the end of the month, quarter, and fiscal year for Honda. Also the 31st is a Tuesday.

I don't think there could be a better time then this month to buy a Honda.

Furthermore if none of us buys one between now and the end of the month Honda should be in a panic. ;) Which should make the deals even better.
    Honda dealers in chicagoland are charging taxes on the incentives/rebates..I am hearing this is common practice. Is this true? or is there more to this story..
    JW2009,

Can you provide details on this deal? Would you kindly let us know what you negotiated before taxes, title and tag? Also, what % taxes do you pay in your area? Thanks!
    That's great news. Do you think I should wait until March 30 or 31 to get first estimates from everyone? Or should I get some initial quotes and then bargain hard with those quotes at the end of the month?

Thanks!
  • knowit2knowit2 Member Posts: 7
    Personally I think to start putting out for bids on the 23-24th. Then start hard-bargaining on the 29-30. Just make sure you know exactly what you want including color. All you need is the dealership that is sooo close to getting that award or volume cash from Honda for selling x amount of cars and they are x -1 or x-2.
  • edmond4edmond4 Member Posts: 6
    got a quote of $23K OTD for 09 ody LX in san jose area. is it a good deal? or can do better? thanks. :confuse:
  • pele10pele10 Member Posts: 6
    Stephen Vincel had the best and Bommarito was a close second - the difference was about $60. Both have dealer installed splash guards and Vincel adds door guards. I've bought from both previously but was leaning towards Bommarito just because they're much closer to me. Bommarito is offering 2 years free maintenance which per their handout I was given means 4 oil changes and multi-point inspections; 2 forty point inspections; and 2 tire rotations. Vincel is offering a $500 gas card.

We sold my wife's car quicker than expected so we ended up buying recently at Bomarrito for $27,671 = $27,457 (includes destination charge and splash guards) + $189 doc fee + $25 credit fee.

Once we go pay the TTL we'll be looking at around $29,628 total.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    LOOKS good to me as the price here 3/7/09 BEFORE Taxes, Fees, etc is:
    ......LX $ 20,725.
    ......EX cloth $ 25,070
    ..... EX-L is $ 28,531
    ......EX-L-RES is $ 29,960. ;)
    My first choice is Ocean Mist Metallic EX - but none are in stock within 100 miles.
  • odyshopper1odyshopper1 Member Posts: 7
    All,
    Please advise what would be the best price for an EXL with RES and NAV. I have a couple of offers of $30,800 including destination fees, but before TTL. I am thinking I can get a better price, but wanted to check with y'all.
    Thanks.
    Sizzle7,

Holdbacks are 2% of MSRP listed on Consumer Reports printout..Hope this helps!!
    $30,800 looks good..You're getting Invoice($34,048) minus $2500 Incentive minus $739 holdback..probably can go little lower but you'll have to do your research and make sure the vehicle is on the dealers lot. Otherwise forget about getting the additional if they have to do a dealer trade..Good luck!!
    By the end of the month I'm certain to buy either an LX, EX, or EX-L. I'm also open to either a 2008 or 2009. Basically, if I get a screamin' deal on an EX or EX-L it would be worth it to me to pay a bit more than an LX.

How should I go about getting quotes? If they think I can pay for the EX-L, for example, then would they be motivated to give me the best price on a LX? Or do they sometimes get bonuses for selling certian models? Any thoughts? I suppose my husband could send emails about the LX (he has a diff last name) and negotiate them completely separately. Thank you!
    Since the model years are essentially the same (except the rear lift gate on the EX-L) is there any reason at all to get the 2009 if the 2008 is cheaper?
  • mm_vamm_va Member Posts: 1
    I got an internet quote for the EX-L with rear entertainmant for $27543. I happily went to see a dealer last friday. But I was told they quoted the wrong model, so the price was correct. They wanted me to decide whether I would drive that car home or I would have to accept their new quote $28890. I was worried that I got cheated, so I chose to leave. I saw someone got quite decent quote, like $26832, mentioned by mom28. Anyone can recommend a good honda dealer in VA/DC/MD?
    thanks.
  • odyshopper1odyshopper1 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit surprised that I've received a number of internet quotes for the EXL with Res and NAV all around that 30,800 number, all within a hundred bucks of that number. I have to think the dealers can go lower, as I've read comparatively lower prices on this forum for the EXL and EXL with RES configurations....doesnt seem like a lot of folks are buying the NAV?

Has anyone gotten a price lower than 30,800 for EXL with RES and NAV, including destination fees, but excluding TTL?
  • travel4momtravel4mom Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2009 Honda Odyssey w/RES and NAV including destination and all weather mats and cargo liner for $30,989.00. I was EXTREMELY happy with this deal. I could have any color vehicle, as they had to do a trade for this price. I LOVE my new van and the kids love the RES.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Sizzle7, JMO, but you may have problems getting e-mail responses, because, you don't know what you want. You have listed 6 possibilities (2 years x 3 models), not including color choices. You present 6 times the work, for the dealer, and the Internet sales manager doesn't want to spend that much time trying to get you to settle on the year and model.

>Or do they sometimes get bonuses for selling certian models?
    Yes, an individual dealership may be very motivated to move a vehicle off their lot. I got $700 off from one dealer, because this particular model AND color was not selling well. The car had been sitting on the lot since October, and NO ONE had test driven it. And he had TWO of them.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    Buying last years model?
    You just need to consider the impact on the resale value.
    Model year has a big impact on depreciation, less so for mileage.
    If you are going to keep it for 3-5 years, the lower resale value may not make the savings worthwhile. 6+ years, and the resale difference may be negligible.
  • tsvvktsvvk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply - the original quote $23400 included appearance package and I finally closed the deal at $22800 OTD (taxes for VA) including the appearance package - I think that is a fair deal, although I could have gotten it if I stuck to my original offer of $22500 OTD. The accessories included wheel locks ($75); first aid kit ($25); splash guards ($75), door edge guards ($50) and pin stripes (may be about $25) - so the appearance package is worth about $250, not definitely worth $595.
    Yes, this is a good point. However, according to the True Cost To Own calculator on Edmunds, the LX2009 will depreciate 11,410 over five year and the LX2008 will depreciate $9,822 over five years. I'm wondering if they are considering the fact that the depreciation starts NOW (vs. in 2008). Hmmm . . . I'm going to have to think about this a bit more. Maybe I should be comparing SIX years of depreciation on the 2008 with FIVE years of depreciation on the 2009. Anybody with ideas on this??? That said, we're likely to keep the car longer than five years--the cars we have now are 9 years and 15 years old. I'd be happy to hear more conversation about this. . .
    Tmltml2,

I think you're right about flooding them with possible cars I want to buy.

I suppose I could have one line of inquiry asking for "the least expensive new Ody you've got on your lot," figuring that's probably a 2008 LX, if available. Then I could have a separate line of inquiry (via my husband's email--again, with diff last name) for "the most discounted new Ody EX or EX-L on your lot (without RES or NAV, neither of which I want)." That way I could snag a good deal on EX or EX-L if there's one available. What do you think about this strategy?

Please help me! Thanks.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Remember the salesperson is not your friends and in general they will never quote you the price you can negotiate down to. Why would they? It is not in their best interest. Put on a mean face and just haggle as much as you can. It is a pain in the butt but it works well. Don't be afraid to walk away and research multiple dealers. Good luck.
    Of course you run the risk of a dealer being instantly turned off. Would you, as a customer, put up with being treated with a "mean face" and being a "pain in the butt"?

I understand wanting to make sure you get a fair deal but as the old saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey then vinegar".

I for one, do not put up with the "internet tough guy" and have no problem firing a customer.
  • kingofspamkingofspam Member Posts: 8
    I just bought one in California (SF Peninsula area) for $32,830 OTD. Same vehicle as yours (2009 EX-L RES NAV) but in white. Vehicle price was 30,000 (incl. destination charge) + tax and licensing. It took a lot of haggling to get down to the price, but my wife is a stone cold negotiator and a good poker player :)