Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gilvergilver Member Posts: 5
    nope I'm in Harlingen, tx. Trying to get a quote of a dealer with lesser price, so they can match it over here. Thanks
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    If u are looking for a higher mileage minivan,,the Sienna is a much better option.Hondas age poorly,,,in the sense,,,they become rougher and louder with lots of rattles and squeaks compared to other makes.And compared to the Sienna,,,the Odyssey`s reliability is not up scratch.
    So,,unless u absolutely want a Honda,,go with the Sienna undoubtedly.
    Also used Siennas-with loaded features-- can be a real bargain.
    Just MHO.
  • hondainatlhondainatl Member Posts: 8
    Sales tax on leases is calculated month to month instead of in one lump sum like on a purchase.

For 95% of drivers, leasing would be more cost efficient, however, because of the industry's past with leasing people are very close minded to leasing and don't even want to consider them.

Leasing gives you a lot more viable options, and you still build equity in the car.

In fact, most of the time(especially with Civic and Accord leases) with Hondas, you are in a positive equity situation at the end of a lease.

The big thing most people don't know about leasing is you can still negotiate the price of the car. Sometimes leases even have more (or less) incentive money available to the customer.
    I don't know where you've been getting your info. That may have been true in the past but...

In recent model years, comparable model to comparable model, Honda's have much better build quality than Toyotas.
    It might stay the same, but I doubt it will go higher until the end of the model year.

I almost might thing it will drop. The reason is that many dealership inventories are getting smaller. Honda's cutting back production a bit, and finding certain makes and models is becoming more and more difficult.

Here in the southeast EXL's, EXL RES, and EXL RES/nav are becoming short supply all over.

We're a 200-250 unit per month Honda store and we might have 20 Odysseys total on the lot currently. 25 or so if you count incoming units.
  • jojo0718jojo0718 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am thinking about buying an 05 touring odyseey from a private seller. The car is in great shape from what it seesm, Inside is almost flawless and the exterior other than a door ding in the front right fender is also in great shape. The car is 20750 is this too much? too little it has about 26,000 miles on it. The person who owns it does not have kids and they travel for work hence the low milage. I will be taking it to my mechanic before I buy, but what about the price?

Thanks,
    Jo
  • sayhey2205sayhey2205 Member Posts: 6
    I just received quotes on a new 09 EX-L-RES for $29308 (includes splashguards, $199 documentation fee) excluding TTL from Bellvue Honda in Omaha.

One dealer wouldn't match it saying he would lose $300 on the sale, but two other dealers did match it/beat it slightly after consulting with their GM's. I didn't pull the trigger as I want to ponder it more and I frankly ran out of patience in talking with dealers on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

Just a couple of questions out to the group as it seems like a good price as they are giving up half of the holdback:
    1. When they run out of room or dig in their heels on pricing, what else can I ask for? two years of routine maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations)? Minor accessories like cargo mats, etc?

2. I will have a trade in (2000 Sienna) that is roughly valued at $2500-2700...what is the best way to leverage that as part of the deal? I would actually prefer lower pricing to reduce taxes (horrendous in Omaha) vs. a higher trade in value.

thanks in advance for any perspective.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My 2006 Sienna LE w/27,000 miles trade-in $ 12,600.
    Niece's 2005 Ody EX w/46,000 miles trade-in $ 13,200.
    She paid LESS for new 2005 Ody EX than I paid for new 2006 Sienna LE with the options I have.

A used Sienna will save you money because of the greater loss of value with a Sienna. :sick:
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Honda Odyssey is BETTER built than the Toyota Sienna. I know because I prefer driving my sister's 2001 Ody EX with 103,000 miles than my 2006 Sienna LE with 27,600 miles. ;)
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    I think this is a very good price. Are you sure it is EX-L+RES? I got a quote of $28605 for EX-L (without RES) from Luther's last week. Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    Look around for some other discussion for this...

Here, we are focused on Odyssey Prices Paid...

thanks,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    SAYHEY2205 > 2. I will have a trade in (2000 Sienna) that is roughly valued at $2500-2700...what is the best way to leverage that as part of the deal? I would actually prefer lower pricing to reduce taxes (horrendous in Omaha) vs. a higher trade in value.

Get a quote for your used car from Carmax Have it in your back pocket when you get the offer from the New car dealer as a trade-in.

I don't know if they have a special rule in Omaha, but in Texas, the sales tax is calculated on the Net (new car price minus trade-in to the same dealer, not Carmax), so it should not make a difference if they lower the new car price but low ball the trade-in value.

I would not believe the adage that the dealership WANTS your trade-in. They will simply turn around and wholesale to someone else, and it gives them a lot of paperwork, with little profit. Look around the dealer's lot. How many 2000 year models do you see?

I've sold my last two cars to Carmax, because they offered WAY more than the dealership, even after factoring in the extra sales tax I had to pay, because the trade-in was not with the dealership selling me the new car.
  • tsvvktsvvk Member Posts: 4
    Thanks - I went for Sterling Gray - can you suggest me if it is worthwhile going to Costco for a flip-down DVD player? Also I am thinking of putting cross bars and rails on the top - any suggestion on that? Appreciate it.
    I'm trying to get into a 2009 odyssey touring no pax, I'm also from texas close to san antonio can you recomend a dealer with GUNN Honda that would not twist and turn things around just to get out more money from you. I'm trying to purchase one within next week if I get good otd price of 35k to 36k :confuse:
  • cthalaimcthalaim Member Posts: 12
    me too got the sterling Gray..yes, even I am also thinking to put DVD as well as cross bars, but I have to see how much it's going to cost..you mean Costco setup the DVD system?
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Just purchased a 2009 Odyssey EX-L w/RES, Nighthawk Black for $28,451 (includes Freight, Splash Guards, Door Edge Trim, and Pinstripes). This was working with a Northern Virginia dealer's internet sales team and the process couldn't have been easier. I did have to pay the "mandatory" processing fee of $399 plus tax and tags. No financing deals through Honda. Best to go through credit union or something.

I didn't have a trade, so the whole process took a minimal amount of time and the dealer's sales agent was fantastic to work with. Based on what I've seen in the forums, the price seems in line with what others have been able to get.

I tried to negotiate roof rack cross bars and waiving the processing fee, but they said their price was rock bottom. I suspect their correct. That price is almost $7K off of MSRP.

To put things in perspective for people looking to buy, let me point out that we also owned a 2005 Odyssey EX without all the Leather, Sunroof, Rear Camera, Power Liftgate, or DVD system, and we paid $27,950 back in October of 2004 when the redesigned Odysseys came out and everyone was happy to pay full sticker and sometimes above sticker. (Fyi, we loved our 2005, be we sold it to our sister when she had a baby and desperately needed a minivan).

That means that flash forward almost 5 years and we only paid $500 more for an extremely more equipped Odyssey. In all my years of car buying, I have never seen Hondas selling for $7K under sticker.

This is truly the best time to be buying a new car of any make and model. Good luck to anyone else looking to buy an Odyssey.

P.S. - For what it's worth, my salesperson said that the Odyssey won't be redesigned until 2011. The Odyssey goes through a 6 year cycle. 2010 will be the 6th year of the current design. There may be slight changes in 2010, but not a redesign.
  • promokspromoks Member Posts: 7
    Yes, it an EX-L with RES around 31300 out the door. We were at the dealership last week to test it.
  • bkpbkp Member Posts: 3
    What was your OTD price? Thanks.
  • thelinuxthelinux Member Posts: 13
    No problem. The price was $7275 off from MSRP. But the real good part was that I traded in my 4 month old Acura for $1000 more than what I actually paid for when I purchased it. I was not really happy with Acura and only after 4 months of driving it, I was already wanting to get rid of it. But I know that I was going to lose a lot on only 4 months old car but incredibly, I was able to make dealer pay more than what I paid for. So I made about $1000 and 4 months of free ride through this trade in. (Well, I know when I add tax, I lost some though)
  • thelinuxthelinux Member Posts: 13
    Here in California, the best quote I got on Touring/ No PAX was 33900+TTL. It was just a one day search. But if you spend more time, I think you can get better price than that.
    Bought mine in Virginia: Black Nighthawk Pearl. Manufactured 12/08. Still had all packaging on it and about 18 miles.

2009 Odyssey EX-L w/RES ..................$27,781
    Appearance Package..................................N/C (Mud Guards/Wheel Locks/Pinstripe/Door Edge Guards)
    Freight ......................................................670
    Dealer Processing Fee ...............................399 :mad:
    VA Sales Tax @3.12%................................900
    Tags & Licensing Fees.................................49

OTD Price....................$29.799
  • tsvvktsvvk Member Posts: 4
    I found this at Costco shipping and installation included:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11249204&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCa- t=BC|79|4842|71350&N=4018665&Mo=9&pos=5&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=71350&Ns=P_- Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10613-Cat21269&topnav=

Not sure if this is a good one (no reviews) - 12.1" costs additional 100 dollars, 9.2" 100 dollars less. Same unit costs about $350 at amazon (excludes installation).

For roof rack - I am seeing this for about 300 dollars:

http://arapahoe-motors-inc.amazonwebstore.com/Honda-Odyssey-Roof-Rack-LX-Only/M/- B001N41U2E.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

Please let me know if you have any other findings.
  • kingofspamkingofspam Member Posts: 8
    No, no trade-in or financing, it was a straight-up cash deal.
    Maybe. How much is sales tax in Texas? What about DMV fees? What determines if it's a good deal or not is the price of the vehicle itself, not the OTD price.

We just bought an EX-L with RES/NAV (no other add-ons except wheel locks, which happened to be already on the vehicle) for $32830 in the San Francisco Bay area. Our vehicle price was $30,000 even, which seems to be a very good deal. I even had a salesman at another Honda dealer do everything but tell me to my face that I was lying when I told him I had a commitment of $30K for that vehicle. He just couldn't accept that it was new and had DVD and NAV for that price. He said the very best he could do was $600 higher.

A couple days later he called me up to see if we'd bought an Odyssey yet, and I told that we'd bought the one for 30, at which he repeated his "With DVD and NAV?" question yet again. I think he still thinks I was BSing him. Oh well, my gain, his loss.
    The installed price was $576, which was quite a markup over the website.

Yeah, a couple days later I verified that the fog lights are dealer-installed only, so the finance guy was being, well, not straightforward on that point, to be charitable.

The fog lights go on a separate stalk? That's whack. I have a 2005 Mazda 5, and the foglights are just one more rotary switch on the stalk. I think Honda would be better off putting in a single wiring harness with fog light connections in it and a blank spot on the stalk to slap in the switch.

Thanks for the info on the fog lights, anyway. I may still consider getting them. Waiting for a good foggy night around here so I can go out for a drive and decide if I really need them or not in this car. They're very nice in my Mazda 5, but the Odyssey seems to throw a larger light pool and from a higher angle than the low-to-the-ground Mazda, so I may not need the fog lights as much.

Good luck on your deployment, and thank you for your service to our country.
  • tmltml2tmltml2 Member Posts: 20
    gilver,

>recomend a dealer with GUNN Honda
    This board won't let me name my specific salesman,.

If you want to provide an e-mail address, I can send my salesman's name to you directly. You can create a temporary e-mail accouunt on gmail, and then just abandon the address after I send you the Info.
    Thanks for the well wishes. That means they are charging about $250 in labor, which here would equate to about 2 1/2 hours. That's not all that bad. Your labor rate is probably less than here because I just verified with our service department that it's a 3 1/2 hour install, and our price is just over $600 for the fog lights on the Odyssey.

As I said, labor is a little rediculous in Atlanta. Every dealership I've worked for, Honda or not, is over $90 an hour.
  • hodesseyhodessey Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for your reply.

Here is the break down:

Price of Vehicle : $30,330
    Total with TTL (6.5% texas tax, around $280 other fees) : $32,505.63 (OTD)

Price of vehicle includes (mud guards, pinestripes, roof rack, cargo tray and wheel locks)
    Wow, and I thought the prices we were doing was stupid. $1200 under invoice including locks, guards, pinstripe, and edge guards is just rediculous. That's a little over $400 in adds including the labor installation.
  • sizzle7sizzle7 Member Posts: 17
    It looks like people have gotten 2.9% on an auto loan with the 3500 dealer cash on the EX-L. Is that right? I've got credit scores in the 800's. What's the best you think I can do?

Also, should I wait until after settling on a price for the car to haggle about financing or should it be haggled for as a package deal?
  • bluelaserbluelaser Member Posts: 7
    Hi, Promoks:
    Yesterday I got a quote of $29849 for EX-L from Buerkle Honda!!. This is $1099 more than your EX-L/RES quote!. The dealer argued that your quote is before 3/7 but I don't believe it. If possible, can you forward the quote to me? my email is ohwimgc@gmail.com. Thanks a lot.
  • z4drivercaz4driverca Member Posts: 16
    30000 even seems to be a fantastic price,
    I am trying to get quotes via email and the best I have managed so far is 30550 in South Bay.
    Seems like there is a rush to buy Ody's before Aprils Sales Tax increase here in CA.
    Any chance the dealer cash rebate would move lower in April from $2500 it is now?
    If you have the chance car to pass on contact details of the dealer you had your deal done with :D
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    My dealer also didn't believe a quote of 30K flat for a EXL R/N. If your dealer was closer, I'd give them my business for sure.
  • samoshieldssamoshields Member Posts: 3
    Could you give me the name of the dealership you bought from.
    thanks [tmltml2],
    yes trying to get into a Honda odyssey touring no pax.here in San antonio my temp email is gilver88@gmail.com
  • acme76acme76 Member Posts: 6
    any thoughts on following deal - Odyssey 2009 LX
    21100+$299fee+$75 lic
    +tax

does it sound reasonable ? shd I take it ?
    Looks good to me, i paid 21488(includes dest)+143 (includes dealer and DMV fees) + PA Tax 6% on end of feb'09, but If $299 dealer fee then it looks higher, probably you can try negotiate..
  • amirahamirah Member Posts: 3
    Could you please post the dealer's name and phone number (if possible name of the salesman)?
  • amirahamirah Member Posts: 3
    "Just closed the deal on a Brand new 2009 Odyssey Touring Non PAX with 8 miles on the Odo.

Total out of the door

$34806 (includes all taxes and fees)

includes wheel lokcs, mudguards and pinstripe.

Tax is 3% VA "

Could you please post the name of the dealership?
    Hendrick Honda, Woodbridge, VA - Dealt with their internet sales department. Absolutely pleasant experience. Highly recommend them.
  • makeithappenmakeithappen Member Posts: 10
    Just bought Silver Ody EXL w/RES at Brian Bemis Autoworld...Didn't get any extras..

Breakdown of the deal:
    $28,500(incl destination)
    $151.65(doc fees)
    $65 (title fee)
    $15 (transfer tag fee)
    $ 25 (Electronic filing of new registration)
    $1948.54 (taxes @6.25%)- This includes the taxes from $2500 incentive.
    ------------------------------------------
    $30,705.19 OTD
  • sizzle7sizzle7 Member Posts: 17
    Combing through the forums, it looks like people have gotten 2.9% on an auto loan with the 3500 dealer cash on the EX-L. Is that right? I've got credit scores in the 800's. What's the best you think I can do?

Also, should I wait until after settling on a price for the car to haggle about financing or should it be haggled for as a package deal?
  • momoftwomamomoftwoma Member Posts: 15
    This is the offer that I am getting for an 09 EXL without res or nav:
    Price: $27191(incl dest.)
    Hondacare warranty 96 month/100,000: $1000
    Taxes(5% MA): $1359
    Dealer: $299
    Plates: $86
    Inpection Sticker: $29

Total OTD: $29964
    What do you think?
  • ub123ub123 Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting the following deal on a 2009 LX:

$21,960 (incl dest)
    $220 (tags/other fees)
    $1317 (6% PA tax)
    ---------------------------------
    $23,497

Additional "perks" include:

- Free lifetime inspections
    - 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty

Any comments/suggestions? What do you think? Is this a good deal?
    Which dealer in PA? because I got it mine from Martin Mainline Honda, ardmore for 22920 OTD, but didn't opt for 7 yr/100000 mile powertrain warranty..
  • ub123ub123 Member Posts: 3
    This is from Lehigh Valley Honda in Emmaus, PA
  • davidingilbertdavidingilbert Member Posts: 53
    Mom - that is a great price.
    Much better than I got out here in Arizona when I went for my 09 EXL.
    They were not negotiating as much out here, I have a higher sales tax, etc.
    I didn't even get the Hondacare warranty!!! :(
    I don't have my specifics here at work, but I compared to what I paid, the fact you would be walking out for less than $30,000 and get all that....find your checkbook and give them some money!! :)
    If you want my specifics, I can email them to you privately.

Dave
    I live in Virginia and was told that there were no finance incentives for Odysseys. The best he could do was with a 3rd party bank at 5.99% (36-60 months). He said Honda would be even higher.
    Thanks Dave...I thought that it was pretty good, but I just wanted to see what others were paying. I think that we are going to pull the trigger this weekend...thanks for your input.
    Honda financing is not good right now...I am going through Bank of America for 5.79 for 60 months.