Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4WD systems explained

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..the '08 Sequoia is undeniably a RWD..."

Are you certain sure..?? How, where does it say..??

And just what general public owner would EVER notice, know, or care...??

As you have said yourself, for only 2 wheels driving then FWD is better than RWD.

If both drivelines are already in place just why would RWD be selected over FWD...??

I grant you this is a really weird development....

But...

From techinfo.toyota.com '08 Sequoia:

Active Traction Control (4WD)

While driving in the 4WD mode, the active TRAC system helps control any wheel spinning which may occur when accelerating on a snowy road or during severe off-road driving, by controlling the brake fluid pressure of each wheel. The system distributes the traction which is lost to slipping to the other wheels, which produces a strong LSD effect. When the active TRAC is in use, the ABS and traction actuator assembly sends a signal and the slip Indicator in the instrumental cluster will flash to notify the driver.

Active Traction Control Operation (2WD)

The vehicle speed is estimated by taking the rear wheel speed, comparing it with the front, driving wheel speed and then judging the grip condition of the driving wheels. From this estimated vehicle speed, the target speed for the driving speed will be set. When the front, driving wheel speed exceeds the control starting speed, it judges that a tire slip is occurring and enacts the electronic throttle control and brake control and then attempts to make the rear wheel speed become the traction control target speed. The traction control will finish either when the vehicle moves onto a surface where the driving wheels do not slip or when the driver decelerates the vehicle.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    "Why would you think A-Trac couldn't be used with a mechanical LSD...?"

Maybe just because I'm NOT an IDIOT...??

Certainly not on the scale of Shrub.

With a Torsen center diff'l, say 30/70 F/R what additional capabilities would be added by including A-Trac....??

And think back... "

WWest...with all due respect....I have absolutely no idea what you're even talking about. Maybe others understand you but you seem to be alittle too off kilter for me to respond since you're not really making much sense. Maybe its just me...but I don't think so. Are you OK?

"Why continue to purchase Torsen Diff'ls from Zetel, or even pay them a license fee, once you come to the realization that A-Trac will do the job at an acceptable level for the public at large...? "

Clearly the engineers at some pretty reputable manufacturers like Audi, Subaru, GM and Toyota disagree with your POV, since they have combined mechanical LSDs with electronic traction systems. For me, its a great combination of technologies that puts more power on the road and still protects consumer from themselves. Sounds like you might consider a Highlander since you've already stated that it combines an open ctr differential with traction control software.

By getting a Highlander you save money on buying a vehicle with a Torsen CTR and can use the savings for more access to Techinfo.toyota.

"And are you STILL of the mind that the GMC Denali series has a center mechainical LSD? You haven't had much to say on that front lately."

I think your memory is struggling abit as I referenced a number of times that the 2001 Denali XL sitting in my driveway has a mechanical ctr LSD (viscous) combined with a mech rear LSD.

Here's Edmunds summary of the 2008 Denali XL which includes a "mechanical center differential " and a "rear locking differential". http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/gmc/yukonxl/100894098/standard.html

Here's Edmunds summary of a 2001 Denali XL (which matches the information in my manual and all the literature I have on the vehicle, but no...I'm not going to disassemble the differental in my driveway and take pictures so that you'll "believe"): "Limited Slip Differential (Center)" and a "Locking Differential (Rear)". http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/gmc/yukonxl/100001202/standard.html

Trust me....the US government really did really put a man on the moon.
    " I have absolutely no idea what you're even talking about.."

Yeah, I have noticed that.

I'm in Seattle, you are...??
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Member Posts: 324
    ""..the '09 Sienna is undeniably a RWD..."

Are you certain sure..?? How, where does it say..??"

Why are you posting false quotes? I did not make make the quote above. The Sienna is a FWD minivan. You either have me confused with someone else or you are purposefully fabricating false quotes.

I'll leave it to the moderator to address if appropriate, however you are losing what little credibility you might have had with your inaccurate information and now fabricating quotes of others
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    hdfatboy

If I were you I would stop answering him, for your own sanity. Believe me, Techinfo.toyota has all the right info, and it is nothing like what Wwest is posting. I think he is trying to egg you on. Good Luck!!
    I just finished a brief review of the Edmunds threads, posts, concerning the GMC Denali 4WD implemenation. By about July of '03 the number of posts discussing the pros and cons of the OLD Denali LSD 4WD system vs the NEWER open center diff'l Traction Controlled 4WD systems are clearly available.

Some of those posts are expressing concern about the rear mechanical LSD not being available as an option with the new braking implemented 4WD system.

July of '03, now why does that seem to ring a bell...??

Sorry about the '09 Sienna slip-up, I have corrected it.
    Would you be so kind as to tell me, advise me, as to where I have quoted from techinfo.toyota.com something that is not there or is not true...??
    4WD SYSTEM
    1. General
     The 4WD model of the ’04 Highlander has discontinued the viscous coupling in the center differential.
     This system, which has adopted front and center differentials with bevel gears, employs TRAC control
    in order to ensure the proper drive when a wheel slips, without the use of an LSD (Limited Slip
    Differential) mechanism in the center differential. Thus, a lightweight system that offers high levels of
    driving stability and drivability has been realized

This is the real 2004 Highlander New Car Features.
    4WD SYSTEM
    DESCRIPTION
     The 4WD model of the ’04 RX330 has adopted a full-time 4WD system that constantly distributes torque
    at a ratio of 50:50 to the front and rear axles.
     This system, which has adopted front and center differentials with bevel gears, employs TRAC control
    in order to ensure the proper drive when a wheel slips, without the use of an LSD (Limited Slip
    Differential) mechanism in the center differential. Thus, a lightweight system that offers high levels of
    driving stability and drivability has been realized

This is the real 2004 RX330
    4. Transfer
    The engine type is changed from 3MZ-FE to 2GR-FE. Because of this change, an MF2AV transfer is adopted.
    The MF2AV transfer is similar to the conventional MF2A transfer, however, the MF2AV transfer contains
    a viscous coupling type LSD (Limited Slip Differential).
     The MF2AV transfer uses a viscous coupling to achieve the slip limiting effect for the center differential.

This is for the 2007 RX350
    Sorry, I wasn't even aware that earlier AWD Highlanders (or even that there were earlier AWD HLs) used the VC, and right now I'm drawing a blank as to when or where I might have said something in conflict with that.

If you don't mind helping at a slightly deeper level I'll be glad to go back and correct my mistake insofar as that might now still remain possible.

Given the RXes transition away from the VC starting in '04 this does not surprise me in that respect.
    TRANSFER
    1. General
     The ’05 Sequoia uses the multi-mode VF4AM transfer.
     Along with the adoption of the VF4AM transfer, the transfer lever has been discontinued. Thus, in the
    4WD mode, the driver operates the 4Lo switch to switch between Lo and Hi.
     The VF4AM transfer is already in use on the ’04 4Runner with the 1GR-FE engine. For details on the basic
    construction and operation of the VF4AM transfer, see the ’03 4Runner NCF (Pub. No. NCF238U).

Specifications 
    Model ’05 Sequoia ’04 Sequoia
    Engine Type 2UZ-FE 
    Transfer Type VF4AM VF3AM
    Drive Type Multi-mode
    (Part-time & Full time) 
    H2 1.000 
    Gear Ratio H/H4 1.000 
    L/L4 2.566 
    Reduction Gear Type Single Pinion Planetary 
    Center Differential Gear Type TORSEN LSD*2 Double Pinion Planetary
    Oil Capacity
    Liters (US qts, Imp.qts) 1.4 (1.5, 1.3) 1.2 (1.3, 1.1)
    Oil Viscosity SAE 75W-90 
    Oil Grade API GL-5 API GL-4 or GL-5
    Weight (Reference)*1 Kg (lb) 41.2 (90.8) 42.8 (94.4)
    *1: Weight shows the figure with the oil fully filled.
    *2: TORSEN is TOYODA-KOKI-TORSEN’s registered trademark

This is 2005 sequoia showing the torsen, if you need more things from techinfo that you posted wrong let me know.
    Yes, I have quoted this one, exactingly, myself, but my further point was that the very same 2007 documentation set (as also does the '08 and '09) indicates the MF2A continues to be used, just as it was/is in the the RX330.

Do a "summary" search for MF2AV in '07, '08, and '09 and you will find only the '07 NCF you referenced. On the other hand search for MF2A in '07, '08, and '09 and you will find that all three years indicate the continued, continuing, use of the non-VC transfer.
    Because hdfatboy was specifically addressing the '08 Sequoia I concentrated my research efforts on that model year. Can you tell me where or how I have managed to misquote the overall status or condition of the '05 Sequoia and I will attempt to correct the matter.

Also just where or how do you obtain these particular quotes, I have searched and cannot find them.
    Yeah just New Car Features at Techinfo, and the LEXUS web site, which says VC center diff!!
    ARE YOU SERIOUS??
    2toyoyas,

I found the information on the '05 Sequoia at Techinfo.toyota.com and that brings my puzzlement level even higher.

Yes, that reference shows that the '05 Sequoia uses the Torsen diff'l but it references the '03 4runner to find details. The '05 Sequoia credits "Toyoda-Koki-Torsen" as "Torsen" trademark owner. On the other hand the referenced '03 4runner information credits ZEXEL as owning the "Torsen" trademark.

I'm pretty certain only teh ZEXEL ownership statement is correct.

The '03 4runner documentation for the transfer and the Torsen unit is put forth in great detail. Even the Torsen unit itself is shown pictorially broken down to the basic components. Insofar as I could find there is no other 4runner nor Sequoia documentation that even identifies a transfer component as a Torsen Diff'l and sometimes the center diff'l is shown but not even identified as same.

Which leads to the question...

Did Toyota somehow get into legal trouble with ZEXEL?

Is the Torsen diff'l actually used in later models but could not be legally identified as such. Or, as I have supposed, it is not used as all in systems with TC braking imposed AWD functionality..?
    "ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

About...??

Specifically....?
    2toyotas;

What was the underlying question with your "ARE YOU SERIOUS" statement.

And I should express my appreciation for your posts verifying that you have found the information at techinfo.toyota.com to be truthful,

Were you satisfied with my responses about the items from techinfo...that you thought I have mis-represented??
  • harboharbo Member Posts: 136
    Where is the fuse for the power antenna?

Thx ........
    Looks like the 2009 4Runner will get a locking rear differential, probably the same one that is in the FJ. It will only work in Low Range, and is engaged manually. i will keep everyone posted as soon as I am 100% certain.

On a different note, I bought my wife a Land Rover LR3 in march, and took it to Rausch Creek Off Road Park on Sunday. It has an auto locking center and rear differential, the locking rear is an option, and most don't have it. Sunday was an event for the Land Rover dealership, so i was with all Land Rovers. We were in Low Range all day, and the LR3 was very impressive. The center and rear diffs lock and unlock automatically so you get maximum traction when needed, and also the ability to make tight turns very easy. The locking rear makes it easier than traction control, because you can just creep along, whereas traction control needs wheel slip to engage.
    "We were in Low Range all day...'

Useless bit of information, that.

Unless you buy an $$$ LR3 exclusively for off-road use.
  • heyboerheyboer Member Posts: 6
    Greetings. Just got a 2004 V8. Have never gone offroad but will be near some dunes in Michigan next week and might give it a try. Owners manual vague about drives etc. so........When in a sand dune should it be 4hi or 4lo and what about the center diff?

New question... from what I have read I will NEVER lock the diff when on pavement, even snow covered. If I'm in snow what speed is too fast for 4 low? I bought the 4runner to pull a boat. I use 4low on the ramp. I don't touch the diff. is this OK?

Thanks in advance. I read almost every post here. Still confused LOL!
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    Having driven on the sand a lot on the beaches of New England, the most important advice that I can give you is to be sure to deflate your tires to 15 psi before driving onto the sand. I have a 2002 Sequoia and just push the 4wd button. I have never had to lock the center differential or use low gear. You should also carry a tow cable and shovel. I have never had to use them for myself but have used them to help others who were stuck and digging deeper. Be sure you know how you are going to reinflate your tires after coming off of the sand.

Many areas that allow access to their beaches have rules that are posted. Be careful of recently hatched shore birds. To prevent erosion of dunes usually they want you to stay on the trails.

You will be entering a whole new world. Enjoy it. You should have no trouble with your having a 4 Runner.
    What's your experience with the (stupid) vsc that cuts back engine power just when you need it to stay on top of sand, soft dirt etc etc ??
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Locking the center diff on the 4Runner disables VSC. When I take my 2003 4Runner on the beach, I air down to 15 psi, lock the center diff, and put it in low range. I've tried both low and high range on the beach, and it seems to take less throttle at the same speed in low range. YMMV.
    This is a RWD toyota Sequoia. The VSC cut engine power when it detects the slightest wheel slippage. Cut the power and you are now sinking in loose sand, snow, mud etc., just when you need the power to stay on top.

HELP ....... thx in advance.
    It's really the TC, Traction Control, mode, functionality, that acts to prevent wheelspin/slip arising from too much engine torque, not VSC.

In any case you can quite easily disable both by unplugging the MAF/IAT module briefly with the engine idling. The result will be a CEL and by default a TC/VSC disable for the next few drive cycles.

For their RWD and R/AWD vehicles Toyota has announced a NCF, New Car feature, in which activation of TC can be delayed in order to allow some level/period of driver controlled wheelspin/slip.
    Thx WWest. Got it.
    Were is the MAF/IAT modul?
    Are you saying it will stay disconnected for say, 4 or 6 starts? ... something like that. Chs
  • briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD. What are the concerns with coasting downhill in NUETRAL at speeds ranging from 25-70 mph to save fuel? Potentially damaging to the transmission and/or the AWD system? Thanks!
    The MAF/IAT module is mounted on top of the air intake just downstream, toward the engine, of the intake air filter.

Unplug the connector with the engine idling, the engine will die, reconnect the MAF/IAT and restart the engine and be on your way. CEL will extinguish maybe as few as 3 restarts of the engine depending on the range of operations, city/hwy/etc, in the interim.

ABS will continue to be enabled throughout.
    I posted this about a week ago...no response yet. Anyone have some thoughts?

********************************************************************************- **************

I have a 2005 RX 330 AWD. What are the concerns with coasting downhill in NEUTRAL at speeds ranging from 25-70 mph to save fuel? Potentially damaging to the transmission and/or the AWD system? Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In addition to possibly being illegal, there are safety concerns. Besides, you're not really using all that much fuel driving downhill in gear anyway. The ECU senses the load on the engine and adjusts the flow of fuel accordingly.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for the reply. You are probably right, but the engine rpms do drop down to the idle range when coasting in neutral. However, I was told that the transmission fluid pump shuts off when in neutral so the fluid is not circulating through all the moving parts which could cause wear and damage...that is what I was mainly concerned about. Any thoughts on that?
    If that's true then it would be a concern. Perhaps someone with knowledge of Toyota transmissions will chime in. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The gear type ATF pump is driven directly by the torque converter, if the engine is turning the pump is pumping...
  • annestarrannestarr Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 4WD auto FJ which I'm loving so far. My salesman told me that I shouldn't use my 4WD for the first 5,000 miles--I've NEVER heard of this and need some other opinions... help! Thanks so much! (of course, I'm eager to take it out onto my property to do some hills, etc. to see how it does)
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    The owners manual is always the best place to find answers. Your salesman is misinforming you (to put it nicely). I have a 4wd 4runner and the only restriction I noted when it was new last year was to not do any towing for the first 500 miles.
    Hope this helps.
    DQ
  • couloircouloir Member Posts: 7
    Last winter I lost traction & control coming down from the mountains in modestly icy conditions; speed was moderate; was surprised since I was in permanent (AWD) 4WD-High with VSD "on." Have Michelin Cross Terrain tires in very good condition. Was surprised to have lost complete control given the 4Runner's good reputation for these conditions. I have the V8 with full-time AWD (High/Low gear range switch selectable).

What is the best 4WD configuration to be in in these conditions? (I thought about locking the differential but then you lose VSC - i.e. VSC turns off when you lock the differential, as I understand it)

Thanks for any advice from other newer 4Runner drivers,

Andrew
    As a general rule you should NEVER use anything but RWD mode once underway at even moderately low forward speeds. This is especially true going mostly downhill.

Remember that your traction coefficient with the roadbed does NOT change as a function of RWD/AWD/4WD/4X4 mode, only the efficiency with which you USE the available traction changes with drive configuration.

4 wheel drive mode, like FWD or F/AWD, can be of great help getting up and going initially on a slippery or low traction surface, but can turn HAZARDOUS very quickly once underway. Again, most especially so, HAZARDOUS, on a slippery downhill drive.

"I have the V8..."

Even with the V6 you should never, NEVER, manually downshift the transmission for engine compression braking when on a questionable traction surface and in any "4" wheel drive mode. VSC does NOT have the ability to alleviate stability problems resulting from engine compression braking. Were I you I would even go to whatever extremes might be necessary (shift into neutral..??) to prevent even an automatic downshift in the conditions you describe.

Oh, one other thing, in the conditions you describe the judious/careful/slight use of the rear implemented parking, e-brake, can oftentimes be of great help as an aid to keeping your speed low enough for conditions without threatening loss of control via "normal" front biased frictional braking.
    Thanks for your response to my question about 'best 4WD configuration' going downhill in slippery conditions....having lost control last year in such conditions, I'd like to be better informed this year.

You suggested "RWD only" mode for such conditions. I don't have "RWD only" in my '04 4Runner. It is 'AWD all the time' with options for low range of course, as well as for locking the differential. Given these alternatives, I can lock the diff. and turn off VSC or not lock the differential and drive with VSC "on." Either way, I'll just have to slow way down given the propensity of the car to break loose.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    wwest probably misread your post. In your case, the standard AWD unlocked is the way to go. The vehicle lost traction because of the tires. If you live where snow and ice are a seasonal issue, then consider snow tires. A second consideration is an all-weather tire like the Nokian WR S.U.V. AWP that can be run year round.

If snow and ice are not normal conditions and this was a one-off deal, then avoid driving in those conditions with the Cross-Terrains, or chain up. It was the tires losing grip that caused loss of control. Snow tires have softer tread and many sipes allowing the tire to flex and grip.
    4WD isn't magic. It can't increase your coefficient of friction. It helps you go. It doesn't help you stop or turn.

Michelin Cross Terrains are fine all-season tires. I've got a set on my 2003 4Runner. I only use them in the summer. In the winter I mount a set of snow tires. Real, honest-to-goodness snow tires. You may be surprised at the difference in performance in slippery conditions between all-season tires and snow tires.

If you are driving too fast for conditions, no 4WD setting is going to help you.
    The cause (and solution) being the tires makes sense. Was searching for a holy grail in the vaunted Toyota 4WD system that wasn't there. Thanks for your insight!
    The holy grail is called VSC + A-TRAC.
    "Was searching for a holy grail in the vaunted Toyota 4WD system that wasn't there."

Toyota's 4WD system is better than most, but 4WD helps you go. It doesn't help you turn or stop. Think of it this way - your brakes stop your tires, but your tires stop your truck.

One problem with all 4WD systems, particularly good ones, is that they can give you overconfidence in slippery conditions. Back when I grew up, driving a '70 Ford station wagon in the snow, I knew just how slippery the road was. Each time I accelerated (even gently) in snow, the rear tires would slip. That continual reminder of how slippery it was caused me to drive slowly and carefully.

My 4Runner seldom slips in the snow when accelerating, so I don't get that constant reminder to slow the heck down. Whenever I am in snow, as soon as there is no traffic behind me I brake quickly to test the traction.

4WD is not magic. Which is why you often seen SUVs sliding off the road during a snow storm.
    Which is why you often seen SUVs sliding off the road during a snow storm.

That may be because the only vehicles on the roads during a snow storm are SUVs. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • other1other1 Member Posts: 7
    That's sort of not necessarily true. Most rides are only as good as the tires it has. I've seen SUVs that can't get out of their own way in the snow where a FWD with snow tires goes right through it. Tires are everything in the snow.
    I agree on your point about the tires. However, I suspect that when the weather gets really bad you're likely to see mostly people with 4WD vehicles brave enough to venture out. That stacks the deck in favor of 4WD vehicles slipping off the road compared with FWDs or RWDs.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Actually, some of the times I've seen the most SUVs off the road has been during snow storms at rush hour. Everyone was "going out" in the snow simply because we had to to get back home. So there really was little self-selection going on. Back when I had a FWD car with snows (GTI), I routinely passed such trucks. As did my wife in her C240.

I think part of the reason is poor education on the part of the drivers, but also, I as posted above, over-confidence. The extra traction that 4WD gives you when accelerating makes it easy to overestimate how much cornering and braking performance you really have.