Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    vookvook Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I would brighten your day in the US.

Since the greenback has been losing value over the last year or more, auto prices here is Canada are not looking comparatively good.

Case in point:

2005 Maxima SE, with auto/leather package (similar to preferred package) + sunroof.

MSRP = $40,100CAN + 1,055CAN delivery charge.

Total = $41,155CAN or approx. $34,220USD.

And here's the kicker.....federal and provincial taxes in Ontario add up to 15%.

A few years ago, buying a car here was cheaper than US due to exchange rates more favorable to US greenback. Enjoy (and hope I can get a screaming deal .... lol)
  • Options
    sukhoi 30mkisukhoi 30mki Member Posts: 2
    Hi Friend,

Are u in Washington state or washington DC? Anyway, i'll give u best price figures for both locations:

If ur in Washington State(Seattle etc,) the price for a 2004 model Maxima 3.5 SL with the options such as Drv pref pckg, VDC w/TCS, Pwr Sunroof, Spare Floor Mats/Trunk mats(5 piece set),Colored Splash Guards(4 piece set),and 50 state emissions is $28,064(inclusive of destination charge of $560)

For a 2005 model SL with the same options, the cost would be $28938. Please note that all 2004/2005 model Maxima SL's with VDC, automatically have Full size spare tires offered.

{Please round off the figure, and stick to ur guns regarding the above price. Contact as many dealers as possible and u'll surely be successful.

If necessary, negotiate for an even lesser price than that i have given you. Many dealers offer free oil change and oil filters at 3750 miles intervals throughout the life of the Maxima SL vehicle. Shop around for those dealers that offer such facilities, but do remember that the above low price will still be valid. Do not believe those dealers that say that offering such facilities would make the offered price higher.

Please remember that even with the above low prices that i have quoted u that are much below invoice, the dealer still makes a comfortable sum as his commission, so u have no reasons to feel guilty. As you can see that the prices that ive told u are almost $1000[for model year 2005 SL],and $1900[for model year 2004 SL] below the $29900 deal that u've been offered........

Happy shopping with ur Maxima, as i too own a 2005 SL with all the above options,plus DVD Sat Nav and XM Satellite radio that i got for only $30670. Its an awesome vehicle that u will surely enjoy driving !!}

Cheers!!

Your friend

SU-30MKI(the most advanced jet fighter in the world)

PS:Addl Information:

If ur in national capital Washington DC, the price for a 2004 model Maxima 3.5 SL with the options such as Drv pref pckg, VDC w/TCS,Pwr Sunroof, Spare Floor Mats/Trunk mats(5 piece set),Colored Splash Guards(4 piece set),50 state emissions is $28014(inclusive of destination charge of $560)

For a 2005 model SL the cost would be $29289. Please note that for 2004/2005 model Maxima SL's with VDC, automatically have Full size spare tires offered
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    How is the nav, is it operable with voice recognition? Since it is now DVD based, I assume you only need one disc for 48 states (not Alaska and Hawaii). Are major Canadian cities also covered? Does the DPP include heated seats and heated steering wheel? If so, are the rear seats heated as well?
  • Options
    sukhoi 30mkisukhoi 30mki Member Posts: 2
    Hi Kennyg5

The DVD based Sat Nav for the Maxima SL is absolutely brilliant with Bird Eye view technology and 7 million points of interest. It is the same as the Sat Nav that is being offered in the Infinity Q45, M45/35, as well as the G35/35x, so its a stonking good deal. The Sat Nav is voice operated and recognizes over 500 spoken commands so u dont need to sit like a robot and speak slowly for the system to recognize what ur saying!!! go for it by all means. It covers continental USA excluding AK and HI, but does not cover Canada unfortunately...contact Nissan dealers and im sure that for a nominal amt, u can get coverage for all of Canada as well......

The DPP offers Heated seats for driver and passenger only but not Heated Steering Wheel. If u want heated rear seats then u'll have to opt for the Elite 4 seat rear package, that not only offers 2 heated rear seats, but also full power adjustable rear seats, express one touch up/down rear passenger windows with retained power accessory, as well as a nifty power operated rear sun screen!!!.....however, Elite pckg seating equipped Maximas are not easily available so u have to hunt for dealers that have such vehicles in stock....also i feel that bargaining for such a vehicle much below invoice wud be a tad bit more difficult...nevertheless bargain ruthlessly coz those dealers still need to clear the stock of Elite Package equipped Maximas!!!!!...remember go for the elite package version only if ur single or at the max 2 people, coz it becomes impractible if kids or more than 2 people need to ride in the back......

Cheers!!!!

(Do check out the SU-30MKI.....its an awesome bird)
  • Options
    gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    I picked up a 2004 SL with all the goodies in October 2004 - my 3rd Maxima. I am becoming increasingly concerned over Nissan's quality - as I have had a strut replaced, a side view mirror replaced due to faulty motor / memory mechanism, and now one of the steering wheel radio buttons is acting up. Nissan is replacing the whole steering wheel for that one (about a $3000.00 item from what I'm told). The car has 18,000 miles and is still under warranty.

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty FROM NISSAN (not one of the independent services I receive daily spam about)on a vehicle this long after the original purchase? What can expect to pay for that? (i.e. - I don't really expect to pay full price - I realize that extended warranties can be had at roughly 50% the first price the dealershipos give you when you negotiate the price of a vehicle.) Thanks!!
  • Options
    bondey007bondey007 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me the price for following Maxima,

2005 Nissan Maxima SL Auto

Power Glass Sunroof

Driver preferred package

VDC

Mats

Splash guards

Is the title and tax be paid on top of the price we negotiate with dealer? How much is that?

thanks in advance

Bondey
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's not really possible for us to tell you how much the tax & title will be, as those vary greatly from place to place. You will need to check with your state & local taxing authorities - the dealership should be able to give you a pretty good estimate.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Oh.. ok. But then you did not tell me the price of the vehicle I had requested for?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, that's because the current pricing is right on our site! Start by visiting our new vehicles page, and build your vehicle. When you are done, you'll get three prices - MSRP, invoice, and TMV (the average price that others in your area are paying).

If you're a good negotiator, you can try to do better than TMV (average), and aim for somewhere between invoice price & TMV.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The best way to start to figure out a decent price is to use Edmund's new car pricing info which will have specifics on options and prices in your geographic area. Once you've narrowed that down then you can use the forums to see what others have been paying as a basis to negotiate.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    Hi,

Thats a good suggestion for prices. One question I have is this out the door price i.e. including Tax, Title, Tags & any processing fee?

thanks,

Bondey
  • Options
    gweavergweaver Member Posts: 2
    I am considering getting the nav system on an 05 Maxima SL. I have heard two different stories one saying it accepts voice commands and another saying it is joy stick operated only. If you pull up the operators manual it does not mention voice commands. Can someone clarify?

Thanks
  • Options
    reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    gweaver --

Since this discussion is focused on pricing and the buying experience, you may have better luck getting an answer in another Maxima forum. Try this link:

nissanowner, "Nissan Maxima" #8522, 13 Feb 2005 11:01 am
  • Options
    gweavergweaver Member Posts: 2
    Do not purchase this nav system based on it recognizing voice commands from the driver because Nissan says it does not. Maybe in the Infinity but not in the Maxima.
  • Options
    bluewookiejimbluewookiejim Member Posts: 7
    2005 Maxima SL
    Power Sunfoof
    Driver Preferred Package
    VDC and full size spare
    Floor mats
    Splash Gaurds

Final price was 29775

I would be taking the 2% rather than the $1000 cash back. That seems decent to me. I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get that offer.

Any opinions.
  • Options
    nissanownernissanowner Member Posts: 7
    Congratulations bluewookiejim!

You did a right thing choosing 2%. You will certainly will keep this beautiful car for long long time.
  • Options
    thanks, I definately makes more since to take the APR over the $1000 cash back.

What do you think of the final price though? It really wasn't a hard sale, getting that price was pretty painless on my part. I'm sure I could do a little better, but that would probably make the sale a lot more hostile.
  • Options
    thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    sounds like a fair deal. being a salesperson, i can tell you that some of us are willing to make the process easy - and that our customers are educated and its just easier to be up front with our best price. try to negotiate more and you will just make the salesperson and the manager quite angry. believe me, you got a great deal!

-thene
  • Options
    I realize it is a good deal. That was the price I got on my 2nd email with the Internet Sales Manager, and I was happy with that. BTW, I have agreed to this deal. It definately made the buying process easier than my previous experiences.

It is a total 180 from the experiences I have been having with the local Mazda dealers Internet Sales depts. My wife is interested in a Mazda 3, but their internet sales departments are totally anti-customer. I've really had to hold back from publicly posting some of the responses I've gotten from them.

Now I just need to make it through the finance officers barrage of extras.

The windows are already etched with the VIN, but they want me to pay around $180 for the $2500 coverage that supposedly is offered as some sort of 'theft coverage program'. I haven't heard anything about it, other than what they mentioned, so I don't know if I will go for that.

They also offered me Security+Plus Gold package, 60 months/60K miles, for $999. I know there are benefits to having that coverage, but I think it is a bit pricey. I'll try to see if I can get it for 60% of that, otherwise I'll pass on it. I know it's mostly profit for them, so maybe they'll accept.
  • Options
    maximonmaximon Member Posts: 3
    2005 Maxima SE
    Sunroof
    VDC
    Floor mats
    Drivers Preferred Package
    Splash Guards

29,800 includes destination, does not include rebate, DMV fees, or TTL
  • Options
    Maximon --

Could you let us know your dealership name? That way others who are shopping in the same area can benefit.

Thanks, and congratulations on your purchase!
  • Options
    maximonmaximon Member Posts: 3
    Star Nissan in Flushing, Queens, NYC
  • Options
    if you plan on keeping the car for longer than your warranty covers, i say go for it. offer the guy $150 over what the cost on the warranty is - that is pretty fair, and chances are he'll go for it. if you do get the security plus, ask for gold preferred - its the only way to go.

always always ALWAYS when buying a car, deal with the internet manager - (i am one) and we GIVE cars away! its your best way to get your best price, with no haggling! make sure you ask for a quote, and any dealership that wont give you one, dont bother with them.

enjoy your new maxima!

p.s. tell them you dont want to pay for vin etching, you didnt ask for it, you dont want it - waste of money!
  • Options
    thenebean,

thanks for the advice and info.

I'm going to finish the paperwork and take delivery tomorrow. I just have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to answer before then.

a.) what is the cost (or approximate cost) for the Security+Plus Gold Preferred, 60 months/60K extended warranty? the finance guy mentioned it to me briefly the other day, quoted me $999. If you aren't comfortable disclosing the cost for this, then what do you think would be a fair offer on my part.

b.) re: the VIN etching, they made it sound as though the fee ($159) was for some kind of gap insurance, $2500 if I remember correctly. It sounded somewhat like the Theft Deterrent package they pushed when I boght my 01 maxima.

thanks again.
  • Options
    im not sure offhand the price of the warranty (though $999 doesnt sound bad! on my sentra it was $800 which was about $100 over what they bought it for). Offer $100-$150 over what they pay (make him show you!) and feel comfortable knowing that you are getting a good deal (and the security plus is a GREAT thing to have!)

as far as vin etching, i have it on my car, but i got it before i started selling cars, and its pointless to me. try to make them remove it or cancel it on your contract...if you can - if not, dont worry about it. ask them to lay it out completely for you regarding gap insurance. gap isnt a bad thing, and if you feel comfortable with the price (i think my manager sells it in the $400-$500 range, if im not mistaken) go for it. what it does is protects you if your car is totaled, you owe $20000, and its worth $12,500 to the insurance company. it saves you from having to pay the difference in what you owe vs. what its worth. again, if you can fit it into your budget, not a bad thing to have.

hopefully this helps! enjoy your new maxima!!!
  • Options
    npaulnpaul Member Posts: 1
    I am in Tennesse and am planning to buy a 2005 Maxima SE with DPP. Being given an offer of 26,200 after the $1000 rebate.

Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    i would say thats one heck of a deal! jump on it!
  • Options
    glassonion13glassonion13 Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a good deal, I'll give you the numbers I got.Se 2005, DPP, power sunroof,no rebate, 2.0% financing, $5,000 down for 5
    months. the car is 27,500 but after taxes etc, interest,etc the car is 31,406. 445 per month. I'm from NY and the sales tax is 8.75...sucks. I sign tom. the loan calculator on this site is the best
  • Options
    gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone tell me what they are paying for extended warranties through Nissan when buying a Maxima?
  • Options
    You may want to try posting your question in our discussion specific to warranties. It's under the "Smart Shopper" category.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/ed_displayMakeModelR- elatedDiscussions!conflimit=Smart%20Shopper&make=CATS&model=Warra- nties
  • Options
    I paid $1100 last week for the Nissan Security+Plus Gold Preferred, with GPR (Guaranteed Price Refund), for a 60 month /60K mile ext. warranty on my 05 Max SL with almost all of the options.

I also paid the same price for the same warranty (except it was for 72 month/75K miles) on my wifes Altima 3.5 SE last week.
  • Options
    analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Can you tell me if that was the out the door price or it included taxes and what area you live? Thanks
  • Options
    That was the sale price of the car. Did not includes TT&L. The nicest thing IMO about it was that was the first offer I got from the Internet Sales Dept. I'm sure I could have done a little better, but that price was acceptable to me, and made the buying experience much easier.

I bought it from George Harte Nissan in West Haven, CT.
  • Options
    nospamnospam Member Posts: 54
    The car has 85,000 miles with leather, moon roof etc etc. I will be paying $5400 to a friend who is leaving the country. Good deal or bad?
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    My son bought a 2005 Maxima SL yesterday with floor/trunk mats, matching body color splash guards for $27,495. He took the cheap 2% loan for 5 years instead of an additional $1000 reduction to $26,495.

With the standard fixed sunroof, heated leather seats, and 320W Bose system, it is avery comfortable driving car. The 265HP engine is extremely strong!
  • Options
    dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Isn't the factory warranty on the power train 5 years (60 months) or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first?

I don't see the economic advantage to spending $1100 for 10,000 miles of warranty, or am I missing something here?
  • Options
    powertrain is 5year 60k miles, but the extended warranty is bumper to bumper - and if you get gold preferred, it covers hoses too! if something goes in that time frame, it could cost you $1100 for that one repair. use it twice and you've made your money back and then some. for me, its about piece of mind more than will i ever use it and is it worth $1000. now i know on my car if something DOES happen, its covered.
  • Options
    g35ortlg35ortl Member Posts: 10
    Quirk Nissan in Boston is advertising 2005 Maxima SEs for $22,499 and $5,500 off sticker (including the $1,000 cash rebate). This seems to be way below invoice and a better deal than anyone has reported getting. I called the dealership and they verified that this is for new Maximas, not demos. Am I missing something or is this a great deal?
  • Options
    fido1fido1 Member Posts: 5
    Bancroft Nissan Auburn MA will come close to matching the Quirk spread. Got a 2005 SL for $26159 (no traction control though - this model off the line just before it became standard). The MSRP = $30,180 included delivery). The deal did NOT include $1000 rebate - went with 2% finance deal instead. These guys worked hard to put the deal together - had to source the car I wanted as they didn't have it on their lot (Interior / ext color). New facility also... Nice service center (hope I never see it). They also swapped the oil with Mobile 1 full syn at no cost.

Options = matts, splash guard. Got nailed $1340 for the Extended Warranty ( Gold Pref, 7 yr, 100K mi). Very nice ride - has 400 miles, averaging 22.5 mpg in mixed driving.
  • Options
    g35ortlg35ortl Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like you got a good deal fido, I hope you enjoy your new ride. It seems like people are starting to get some great deals on '05s. I plan to start looking in the next couple weeks. I might have trouble finding a car with the options I want, so I might have to order one. I'm looking to get a black SE with the sensory package, but not driver preferred. Hopefully ordering the car won't affect the price too much.
  • Options
    setchsetch Member Posts: 6
    anyone with recent purchase experience. I have a standing offer for 33k, out the door with tax, tag and title. The car's loaded with leather, nav, driver preferred package, power roof, sat radio, and mats. How's that offer sound to anyone listening? Great? Competitive? Average?

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi - not sure of your location. I just noticed in today's Boston Globe that Quirk Infiniti is running '05 G35x AWD sedans (heated leather, sunroof, xenon, 3.5 280hp, 6 cd, etc.,. MSRP @ 34,090 - sell for $29,999... Had they been running this before I got my Maxima, I might have dropped the xtra coin to get the AWD...
  • Options
    Thanks... There seems to be many cars on the lot that have tons of options (which I didn't want), so ordering might be the way to go. If they'll give you a deal with one on the lot, they hopefully will do the same on one they order, especially that the holding / finance charge on yours will approach zero $$$. Might want to run the numbers against a G35 (just in case pricing is close)- there seem to be deals in the Boston MA area (not sure of your location).
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    At $33K, there are better alternatives like the Acura TL and Infinity G35.

For $26,500 without the financing special(2.9% for 5 years), the 3.5SL was a great deal that my son paid for his SL recently. This price makes the Maxima much more compelling than the TL and G35 above and a V6 Accord.
  • Options
    $33k is $1000 below the lowest price i would physically be able to do (using my sales tax, and dealer conveyance and registration) I dont know of a dealer who would go for that, unless they are so desperate to move cars. but who knows! you never know when you can get an insane deal! good luck to you!
  • Options
    maximase2005maximase2005 Member Posts: 6
    with the sensory package, 5-piece MAT and splash guard. All for $26,600 + TAX + DMV fees with 2% APR for 60 mon. With a little hassle, but they finally give me the offer since it seems quite some other dealers will match it. (I walked away and they called me back). When doing paperwork, they urged me to pay $899 for the 6 year/100,000 miles bumper-to-bumper warrenty, which I feel is fine. I declined all other service packages.

I was originally looking for SL and was offered the same price. But there is no one in stock with the color I want and they want to charge me for locating it. So I changed to the SE.

I am in Long Island, NY. Quite a few dealers seem like to match the price. The one I bought from is Smithtown Nissan. I bought it yesterday (03/28/05).
  • Options
    I found out later that the service I got was the security + Plus silver preferred for 6/100, instead of the Gold preferred. Then I am not sure of the $899 I paid is fine or not. Anyone know about the price difference for silver preferred and gold preferred?

I am also not sure of the major difference about these two coverages. Is the silver good enough or should I go for the gold ? I read from some other message that one can cancel it later at no charge.
  • Options
    gold preferred is the only way to go - it covers absolutely everything! (except brake pads and wiper blades) silver doesnt cover all of that, so if you can get yourself into a gold preferred for the same or a little more in price - do it! we only offer gold preferred here because it is the best way to go.

good luck!
  • Options
    thanks, thenebean. I will have a try.

Since I already signed the paper, if I want to upgrade to the gold preferred, how will the dealer agree to do it with the same price or a little more. I assume the dealer also pays different amount for the silver and gold. Unless this difference is really small, there will be no incentive for them to upgrade it for me if the price I would add cannot cover the gap.

Just one more question. How do you feel for the $899 I paid for the silver preferred? I can accept it if it is not that bad since I feel I already got a good price for the car.

thanks again. BTW, I read your previous messages before and I quite agree with you on most of your posters. I even thought of buying the car from you , but you r in other state.
  • Options
    thanks for the kind words! heck, ive sold cars to people across the country before! ;-)

anyways, i would ask the finance manager you worked with and see if they can upgrade you, and see what they charge you before making an offer. i highly recommend it if you can pull it off. silver is good, but it only covers maybe 2/3 of what gold preferred covers. they should be able to upgrade you. see what they come back with on that, and i can see what kind of deal you are getting!

hope that helps!

-thene