Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sacfitzsacfitz Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the dumb question, but I hope someone can help out here. I'm looking at buying a 05 Maxima SE (base model) and wondered if the current incentive (2% or 1000 back) is the best deal. I know that Nissan is pushing for the "drive to a million" and logic seems to be that this is a good time to get it. Any suggestions on whether I should pull the trigger on a car before the 31st or wait to see what the 2nd quarter incentive is?

Thanks

Sac Fitz
  • gsmith22gsmith22 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Please do not ask for or provide names or contact information of sales people or dealership staff. Our policy is clearly stated in red writing at the bottom of the page, and posts containing such information will be deleted.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • maximase2005maximase2005 Member Posts: 6
    the finance manager does not return the calls. So I will just let it be.
    thanks again, thene.
  • gabe1gabe1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. Looking to buy an SL with power sunroof, driver preferred pack, mats and splash guards. Total MSRP with options is 32,150 and invoice is 29,325. I have an Altima S 04 I would like to trade in. I believe I can trade in and not lose money. I plan to accept the 2% 60 months if offered in April. If anyone can help with an out the door price with or w/out tax or approx. monthly payment to aim for, I'd appreciate it.

Side note: Since I paid taxes on the Altima last year, does the tax on the new purchase change based on its trade-in value? Is the trade-in value subtracted from the agreed price and then multiplied with the tax rate?, which in Ohio is 7%.

Thank you for your time.
  • jaynenycjaynenyc Member Posts: 1
    I am in the midst of buying a car and rented the Maxima, which I loved. Buying one (w/leather) exceeds my budget. I have researched prices for the 2004 with leather (and about 10,000 miles) and found some listed in my area for as little as $22,000.

Does anyone have any advice on going this route?? (new ones w/out leather are simultaneously now going for near $22k, I have discovered).

Also -- when renting, the computer indicated a fuel economy of 18.5 MPG, which seemed low. What are other's experiences with the average miles per gallon?? Can anyone advise re: intelligence of buying 1 yr. old vs. saving $5K??
  • dcsaabdcsaab Member Posts: 13
    Here in Northern Va, the Nissan dealership has a market adjustment mark-up of $2999!! Loco!
  • setchsetch Member Posts: 6
    Hey, thanks for the reply...from a couple of you. I actually ended up getting out of the dealership with an '05 SE with navigation, leather, driver preferred, power sunroof, and mats for $32,500. It sure sounded great so I took the deal. I feel good about the sale. I'm always looking for extra info. MSRP was 35K and invoice was about 31,800. I'm in Ga, outside of Atlanta. Are there better deals to be had elsewhere?
  • raudimaxraudimax Member Posts: 5
    Got 2 quotes one in NJ and one in NY. What do you guys think?

2005 Nissan Maxima SL with Power Sunroof, Matts, and splash Guards.

NJ Quote-28,900. Out the door price with tax tags and everything 31,500

NY Quote-28,131... 30,800
    Thats taking the 2% offer and not the rebate..

Thanks
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    the NY quote is exactly $300 below invoice on that deal. sounds like a fair one! good luck!

-thene :)
    setch...

Is the 32,500 out the door with tax title and fees. Sounds like a good deal.
    I just got my Smoke 05 SE with mats, and spoiler for 26500 out the door (took the 1K rebate). I got a great deal here in Sacramento, it was 500 under invoice. The internet/fleet dealer matched a "loss leader" newspaper add to get my sale.

Fitz
    Sacfitz.....

thats a great deal. Was that after taxes and title and adm fees.
  • setchsetch Member Posts: 6
    raudimax,

Yeah,....that was after tax, tag and title. I left with the car at 32,500. I was pleased, unless one of you can bust my bubble with a better deal.
    Setch congrats on the new car. Thats a good deal.

I got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. I got a 2005 Smoke SL with DPP, Power Sunroof, Matts, and Splash Guards for 28,800 before taxes and title.
  • gsmith22gsmith22 Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my 05 SE with DPP, sunroof, mats and splash guards for 29,395 with taxes and fees included on Friday in Northern NJ. Did all of my negotiating online with the internet sales manager and went to the dealership to put money down. They gave me the car the same day, all told I spent about 2 hours in the dealership.
  • dominor5dominor5 Member Posts: 58
    I have been looking for a 3.5SE 6MT fully loaded but noticed the dealer inventories in my area don't carry much of these stick shifts, color and package selection is therefore an issue. Is it then possible to custom order one? Or am I limited to what the dealers carry? Thanks everyone.
    you can order one - it usually takes about 6-8 weeks. good luck in your search! the 6MT Maxima is a hoot to drive!

-thene
    Raudimax,

Yep that was after everything! I am so happy with the new Maxima, I love it.

Sac Fitz
  • gman2005gman2005 Member Posts: 7
    Looks like now is a great time to lease a Maxima. With an interest rate of less than one percent (.75%) and the cars selling for invoice, here's what you can get:

Maxima SE with:

Driver Preferred Package (see Edmunds listing for details...leather, etc)
    Floor Mats
    Splash Guards

Sticker price $31,850
    Invoice $28,959
    Paid $28,959

Lease payments on 36 months/15k miles are just under $400/month!

Jeff
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Jeff,
    Awesome deal.

""Sticker price $31,850
    Invoice $28,959
    Paid $28,959

Lease payments on 36 months/15k miles are just under $400/month! ""

Do you think you could have "milked" it via getting into the dealer holdback? :) ?

Great negotiating to get it at invoice!

Mike V.
    "Do you think you could have "milked" it via getting into the dealer holdback?"

sure he could have milked it by getting into holdback - and then he would have had both the salesperson and the manager upset - and if you get a manager like mine - he just wont sell you a car at all and throw you out. then you get to start all over again somewhere else. why keep taking taking taking and pushing when invoice on almost any car is a fantastic deal?

maybe i just dont get it - this guy is obviously happy that he got an awesome lease at an awesome price - and a seemingly good experience...why keep going? just because you know there's more money in it and gosh forbid you leave any money on the table? is it so you can brag to your buddies that you paid this ridiculous price that no one can beat so you feel you got the best deal ever?

i wish someone would explain to me why people feel the need to go into holdback once you've gotten a price at invoice on a car? exactly what do all of you consider to be a "fair" profit for a dealer (as i am sure you all don't want to put the dealer out of business...but want us to get a "fair" profit) $100, $200, $500?...

i dont mean to vent - i just cant understand that line of thinking - and i am a consumer as well as a salesperson (its frustrating when people just think i sell - i buy things too and want a great deal as well you know!)

none of this is in an angry tone (its tough to tell when its typed) i just want to understand what people think, thats all...

• steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Invoice is meaningless. FOr example in NY CarsDirect dealers sell Maximas for 400 below invoice. So there is plenty of wiggle room in this market. Dealers are in competition with each other. The goal for them is to make money. The buyers goal is to negotiate the best price(to them). Nobody is forced to pay too high a price, and no dealer is forced t sell a car below cost. It is choice. Some vehicles will be sold below invoice..Some occasionally below cost!. That does not mean the Dealer is losing money at the end of the quarter.. Some cars will be sold for well above sticker.
    And the salesman and dealers happiness in a particular transaction is MEANINGLESS. When the Customer is happy the deal is good.
    When I choose a Dealership in which to buy a car, it is I who have done THEM a favor..not the other way around.
    If a customer doesn't like the Saleman or the Dealership they will likely walk. If the salesman/dealer doesn't like the BUyer, they will still gladly accept payment for a new car.
    Keep in mind that people who use this forum are looking for a deal and that affects the "flavor" of the posts.
    Just some thoughts...
    BTW, you have provided lots of great information in this forum and it is appreciated by all.
    steevo,

i hear your points - i always understand that we choose to sell the cars at below invoice prices. i just wonder why when someone is happy with a deal (say invoice) that they would try to milk it even more? As a salesperson (internet manager) i want to know what you guys are thinking when you are sitting on the other side of the desk, to make it easy on both of us! buying a car shouldnt be hard. but also, keep in mind, if you present a number to another dealership, they will almost always beat it by $100 to earn your business. if you keep chasing down $100, you're gonna waste your time. especially after you sign a deal at one dealership, then continue to price shop. in my experience, the people who do that only make the process really stressful and unpleasant. it happened here just the other day! a guy got a fantastic price, then shopped us AFTER he signed the contract, multiple times! of course, these other dealers know thats the case, and most likely are low balling so they can steal a customer. once the guy got there, guaranteed the deal would have been a fake, and the guy would be so frustrated he'd just cave in and buy.

i'd like to tell all you consumers out there that the best way to do it is to ultimately buy at a dealership you feel comfortable with - who didn't pressure you, haggle you, fight you, and make your purchase unpleasant. it may be a $100 or $200 more than the big name screamer dealership, but believe me, you will get a MUCH MUCH MUCH better buying experience.

btw, im glad you feel i provide good information - same to you and all the rest of you guys. its always nice to know how consumers think so I can help make the process easy!

• reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    Let's keep this discussion focused on topics directly related to pricing and buying a Nissan Maxima. General discussion about dealer tactics, fair pricing, etc. should be posted in our Smart Shopper board.

Thank you.
  • ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    Hello - considering leasing an '05 Maxima but have questions regarding the lease agreement as it relates to insurance.

Can anyone tell me what kind of insurance is required on a Nissan lease? I currently have 50/100/50 on my '02 Acura (financed). However, I have read online that with leases they sometimes require you to carry 100/300/100. Is this true with a Nissan lease?

Also, is Gap insurance required as part of the agreement?
  • bluewolfbluewolf Member Posts: 101
    When figuring the lease cap cost on a Maxima SE, does the $1250 rebate apply, or is this just for purchases?

It looks like with the low SE money factor, it's a great time to lease an SE. I wonder if they'll offer this deal in May...
    the rebate does not apply to the lease - and i am 99% sure this lease will change for may. now is the time to make a move if you are definitely interested in a Maxima!

let us know how it goes!

-thene
  • kcdawg1kcdawg1 Member Posts: 2
    on 05 maxima with sunroof,mats,sticker 29100,they quoted me 25100,i came back with 24,700,plus t&t.It sounds real good to me just want everybody's opinion.Thanks
  • jinsatxjinsatx Member Posts: 5
    Went to my local one price dealer today just to drive an Altima and look at the Maxima's as an alternative to buying another Honda Accord or my first Camry. Didn't really care for the Altima, but while they were appraising my Accord trade in I came across a Maxima SE with DPP, moonroof, mats and splash guards, sticker price 32,480, that they had marked down to an unbelievable 26,999 (including the 1250 rebate). I say unbelievable because the invoice on this car is 29,521 with a hold back of 830, which makes this unit a pure $500 loss to the dealer including the hold back. On top of that they originally offered me 11,000 on my trade, which books at 10,600 average trade in, and I had them bump it to 12,000 to make the deal. Believe me, this deal was a "steal", I used to be in the business and we very, very seldom ever took a loss on a car like this. It' a great color, Coral Sand, greatly equipped, etc. I still can't believe this deal, but it's sitting in my driveway as I write this. Again, used to be in the business and normally won't go near a one "overpriced" dealer as I can normally negotiate a better deal, however, if you walk the lot at these dealers you can find some loss leaders out there and as long as the color and equipment works for you they can be great deals. Not only that, no trying to sell me the BS wax package, etc., no extended warranty, no credit life/dis, and got 4.00% 60 mos financing to boot.

Not just a great deal, but a great deal on a really great drivers car!!!!
    the deal they are offering you is $200 below invoice. that car has maybe about 650 in holdback - so i think you are getting a great deal. unless the dealership is desperate to move cars, chances are they won't touch your offer - as that leaves them nothing in holdback. you may get it, but probably not. if they don't go with your offer, still feel great that you are getting a good deal!

let us know how it goes!

-thene
  • kcdawg1kcdawg1 Member Posts: 2
    They accepted the 24700,however to get 3% financing i decided to forgo the rebate and i got it for 25950 24700+rebate added back onI think i done pretty good!Also i love this car!
    glad you love the car! and glad you got the deal you were looking for! like i said, its not a deal some dealers wouldnt do, depending on circumstances. Nissan is like that - its usually rebate or financing - and unless you are paying cash, or putting a ton of money down, the special financing works out better!

enjoy your new Maxima!

-thene
  • ncmarriedgalncmarriedgal Member Posts: 4
    Ok guys/gals. I need your advice pretty please. Here is my story....

I am looking at a 2005 SL Nissan Maxima, Standard options: pwr. sunroof, xenon lights, etcc...
    Optional options: Sirius radio

MSRP: 31, 750
    Invoice: 28, 978

I have a trade-in: 350Z Red performance coupe; Sports Pkg; 20K
    Was offered 20,500 so far.

So this is what the deal I was offered so far: $300 off invoice, I will take special fiancing not rebate of 1250. Soo..my question is what should I counteroffer?

OR

Is this a good deal and I should be happy with 300 off invoice and my trade-in value?? BTW I'm in the Carolina's..so keep that in mind with pricing suggestions.
    :P
    Thanx guys/gals :)
    by ncmarriedgal Apr 29, 2005 (12:39 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete | E-mail Msg

Ok guys/gals. I need your advice pretty please. Here is my story....

I am looking at a 2005 SL Nissan Maxima, Standard options: pwr. sunroof, xenon lights, etcc...
    Optional options: Sirius radio

MSRP: 31, 750
    Invoice: 28, 978

I have a trade-in: 350Z Red performance coupe; Sports Pkg; 20K
    Was offered 20,500 so far.

So this is what the deal I was offered so far: $300 off invoice, I will take special fiancing not rebate of 1250. Soo..my question is what should I counteroffer?

OR

Is this a good deal and I should be happy with 300 off invoice and my trade-in value?? BTW I'm in the Carolina's..so keep that in mind with pricing suggestions.

Thanx guys/gals
    if you are getting the Maxima for $300 below invoice - that is a great price! What year is your 350Z? also, is it a stick or automatic? $20,500 for an 03 would be great i think, but terry would know best!

so far that deal is lookin' good! :shades:

-thene
    I'm sorry. It's a 2003 Nissan 350Z Performance model....20K miles! And it's Manual.

Keep the suggestions coming> Who is Terry? How do i contact him? LOL
    terry is in the "real world trade in values" forum. he sometimes meanders into the rest of these boards, but that's where he lives. his username is rroyce10. he should be able to give you a very good idea of what your car is worth.

heck, i would love a 350Z performance with a 6sp! too bad i just bought a house and it snows way to darn much in ct!

-thene :shades:
    Is the 4% because you took the rebate? Nissan has 2.0 on maxima but instead of rebate..
    Steevo,

When I did the math, I was better off taking the 1250 rebate and 4% interest for 60 months than taking the 2% Nissan financing and no rebate.
  • sschumersschumer Member Posts: 19
    I'm directing this to the informative and candid Connecticut-based Nissan Internet Salesman who frequents this board. HELP!!! After months of research, I decided I want to buy a Nissan 2005 Maxima SL (in Bronze w/Cafe Latte interior) with Moonroof, VDC, Sirius radio (and floor mats and splash guards). So I contact two area dealers here in central NJ and they tell me they don't have any '05 Maximas (of any color combo) with VDC that don't come with the $800 Driver Preferred Package (DPP), which I absolutely don't want. And they say none available in whole Northeast the way I want. I tell them I'm willing to place a factory order, but they state the car cannot be ordered with VDC w/out DPP. I shared I'm confused because the '05 brochure says the only pre-req for VDC is auto trans and a moonroof. And I kick in that Nissan Consumer Affairs HQ in CA confirmed to me that the official Product Guide says the same. Their response is both the brochure and Nissan Consumer Affairs are wrong. And they tell me if I don't place a factory order by end of this week, it'll be too late to place for a '05. I really don't want to believe that because I want the important VDC safety feature, Nissan would force me to buy an $800 (MSRP) add-on I have no interest in -- especially if I'm willing to factory order it. Boy, if I can't get this car the way I want, I think I'm resigned to look at something else. Any possible insight/suggestions?
    sschumer,

sorry to say, but the salesperson is right - there are no maximas with VDC without DPP in the northeast currently. as far as ordering, i cant be sure, but i would check with another dealership as well (i am at home now, but i can check tomorrow for you at work!) nissan usually makes vehicles equipped the most popular way (and usually for some reason they think vdc goes with dpp). i am not sure about ordering ending this week, i actually checked with the sales manager that does all the ordering today, and he said he wasnt sure when 05 ordering was going to close out. call to a couple of dealerships around you and see what they say regarding ordering what you are looking for. maybe the other dealership is just trying to get you to buy one from stock (which dealers always like to do)

i'll check tomorrow at work, and let me know what other dealers say when you call! good luck!

Thene, did check with another few dealers, only one appeared to actually check if the configuration I want was factory orderable. And they said it is not. Did you find anything different?
    no luck here :-( - sorry sschumer! its one of those freak nissan things i guess. we'll come across those sometimes...

like now the 3.5SE Altima is no longer available in a 5speed manual for the rest of the year...nuts!

Yes, you cannot get the VDC package without the DPP package. Not only that, you also have to get the sunroof. I've just bought an SE with the VDC and it has DPP and the sunroof, but I wanted those anyway. As far as I can tell, I got the only 2005 left in the San Antonio/Austin area with the VDC package. These are real hard to find as most people don't think it's worth the $600 as you and I do, so the dealers don't order them.
    Thanks much Thenebean and Jinsatx. I need to noodle on this, but the two-page article on VDC in the April Consumer Reports annual auto issue provides a very compelling case for getting VDC. Says it's such an important safety feature it'll be standard in all cars by 2010, but today most consumers and even dealers don't fully understand its function and importance.

Thenebean: Any idea when you guys get insight into changes coming with the '06 Maximas? Any chance Nissan might make VDC standard, or separate it from DPP, therefore allowing me to consider waiting a few months to purchase?
  • ronmexicoronmexico Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone been able to find out what incentives Nissan is offering on Maxima's and Altima's during May? April's Cash Back/Financing deals expired May 2, but I haven't seen any updates. Thene - any input?

Thanks all!
    ronmexico,

rebates stayed the same, but the financing has gone up 1% for 60 months. it stayed the same through 36, and went up 1% for 48 and 60.

hope that helped!

-thene
    Scored a Maxima SE with DPP,Sunroof, Xenons, and Factory XM.
    Sticker 32880..Invoice 29881.
    Thanks EVERYONE for sharing your pricing experiences.
    Here is a repost of what I replied to someone asking in the Leasing forum..

I paid 8.75% Tax(NY LI yikes!!) ,aquisition, and 200 in MV fees difference to actual registration amount to be refunded. Was about 2400 dollars.(I had trade value which ate those costs..I negotiated deal by Email through Internet Sales guy without mentioning Trade. Terry at the Trade Forum here gave great advice on real world trade in value..Thanks Terry!)
    I email negotiated using the April Lease numbers from Car_Man. I never gave the payment amount, just the terms. I had worked the numbers myself so I would know what a good offer would be. They emailed me back 378 + 2400 out of pcket and a residual number 1 point lower than I used. My calculations using April was 375.61 PRE tax they were 378.98 but they never disclosed the new MF and I never asked..but they were 52% residual. 036mnths/15k per NMAC lease.
    All in all a nice deal!

Go to the Maxima Prices Paid board to get an idea what people are paying in your area. I will repost this there where it probably belongs anyway.
    Good Luck!