Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    paul,

nissan is not currently offering the rebate with a lease. they do however, have $500 lease cash currently available. The current national lease is $309 for an SE with sunroof, floor mats, splash guards, Automatic, with $1999 due at signing. these payments do not include tax (since they cannot quote a tax nationally when every state is different), or registration and dealer fees. it seems as though (short of me actually running the lease) that you are in good shape if your $315 a month is with taxes. make sure they gave you the $500 lease cash! let me know if you have any other questions!

-thene :)
  • paul138paul138 Member Posts: 31
    Thene
    thanks for your help and yes the 315.00 does include tax.
    paul
    ps is the national lease for 309.00 that you mentioned for 12k or 15k miles a year?
  • pgeetapgeeta Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking for an SE with DPP and satellite radio (XM). I live in Atlanta, and I did the dealer quote on Edmunds. After reading these posts, I'm disappointed with what I received. The invoice is 29239 and I've received a quote of 28610 (car only) and 31548 (OTD - traction control, floormats, splash guards, sunroof?) For the second quote, I have to clarify the sunroof part b/c I think that's the standard one. Do you know if I should be able to get this car at invoice or closer to invoice?

These quotes included the rebate!

Thanks.
    paul - the $309 was for a 12k a year lease!
    you should be able to get invoice, however different markets may have different supply and demand. if you are getting similar pricing across the board (couple of hundred over invoice) then that is what the market is commanding in your area. you could email all the dealers around and say the first one to sell you the car for invoice minus the rebate including all the equipment you are looking for, you'll buy. see if that lights any fires under any butts!

good luck!

• ckigginsckiggins Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone know how much per mile Nissan charges for extra mileage bought at time of lease inception?
    over 15k per year, the mileage bought at time of lease inception is 10 cents, and after is 15 cents. (i am 99% sure of those numbers!)

Great, thanks!
    Just FYI, I am not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I rec'd this offer from a dealer in St. Louis, MO. This isn't equipped the way I'd want it (want the DPP or Sensory Pkg and XM). However, I figured posting this will give you an idea what they are doing in this part of the country. ($300 over invoice).

This is for an SE with premium sound pkg, mats, splash guards and spoiler:

MSRP; $29,729
    Invoice: $26,864
    Internet Sale Price: $25,914 (includes $1,250 rebate)
    Thenebean: does purchasing extra miles up front do anything to the residual percentage?
    ckiggins,

the extra mileage fee (which IS 10 cents a mile up front) gets calculated into the payments. it does not change the residual value in any way.

Any opinions on thei quote I received On the Maxima SE automatic,no additional options.

the msrp is$ 27,910
    invoice incuding destination is $ 25,726(according to edmunds.com)
    Price I was quoted was $24,654 which includes 1250.00 rebate
    besides tax and title the only other charge is a 120.00 document fee
    which i am not sure is negotable or not??
    So is there any room for this price to come any lower??
    thanks,
    Paul
  • from_detroitfrom_detroit Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 nissan and would like to take it for a service. It is making a subtle but weird noise when it goes to first or second gear (it is an AT). I am new to the detroit area. I've heard some good things and warnings about bill cook nissan (farmington hills). Please rececommend a place for nissan serivce. Are there any non dealers who specialize in Nissan and use Nissan parts.
    paul,

looks like your price is somewhere around $100 over invoice - there is some room to wiggle if you really want (since you are looking at a stripped SE with no extras, holdback is around $600). as you can see, there isnt tons of room left - and saving an additional $200 (Which is about all they'll probably give you) will only change your payment 3-4 bucks a month.

as far as the $120 doc fee? i'd just leave it - it covers some of the operating costs of the business (convenience of registering your vehicle, if they do so) etc. sure, you can fight that too, but then you start to turn the pretty decent deal into a haggle fight that can just make both sides unhappy.

again, its up to you - either way, i hope you enjoy your maxima!

Thene
    once again thanks for the information.
    We have narrowed our choices down to the Maxima
    and Chrysler 300 base model (i know what you would choose)
    Payl
    and YES I mispelled my own name! lol
    lol - ive done that before!

you are looking at two great cars (that 300 has been really popular!) depending on how long you plan on keeping the car, (and you were right in knowing what i would choose) i'd go with the maxima. better resale value, better reliability, MUCH better engine! (that thing will run for a loooong time - and it has a timing chain vs. a timing belt - less to fix down the road)

i think you'll be happy either way - again, two very nice vehicles!

good luck with your purchase, whatever it may be! (just keep us posted!)

Hi Thene,
    Here is the best quote that I have gotten:
    $31,499 OTD includes SE/DPP/Sunroof/Splash G/Floor Mats/XM (not factory installed, but dealer installed). What do you think?

Thanks!
    since i am unsure of what your OTD price includes (fees, registration, taxes) can you give me the actual sale price before those things added in? also, every state is different so its tough to judge using OTD price. a car like the one you describe looks to have an invoice of $29,858.

Thene,
    This is the breakdown that I was given:
    Invoice MSRP
    BASE $25,008 $27,350
    DPP $3,166 $3,650
    DRIVER PRE. PKG
    FLO $113 $150
    FLOOR MATS
    SGD $92 $120
    SPLASHGUARDS, FI
    SRF $780 $900
    SUNROOF, PWR GLAS
    TC1 $0 $0
    TRACTION CONTROL
    50S $0 $0
    50 STATE EMISSION
    Freight Charge $580 $580

Total $29,739 $32,750

7%tax, $499 dealer, $42 tag/title/WRA, $699 XM installation!

Thanks!
    Oh yeah, and the OTD includes $1250 rebate. Question - should the XM be that much? I mean, the car is prewired already, why should it cost $699 to complete?
    are they selling it to you for invoice? or are they selling it above or below? also, $699 is a bit on the high side for installation of the xm in the dealership - however they do have to run the antenna, install the amp and tuner, and wire everything up. I would offer them $550 (that is more along the lines of what it should be) for that.

$499 is a really high doc fee! it varies by state of course, and region (if everyone else around them is charging that high, they can too)

If you have invoice, I would tell them you'll do the deal as follows:

$300 below invoice
    $550 for XM
    everything else as is (dont try to start haggling on the doc fee, it's like the last straw for dealers sometimes)
    THEN subtract the rebate

let me know how it goes!

I'm confused as to whether the price is at invoice or not. $31,499 OTD seems like it is $300 below invoice already. Am I figuring this out correctly?
    29739 inv
    699 xm (their high estimate)
    499 dealer
    42 tax
    30979 total
    -1250 rebate
    29729 new total
    2081 tax (7%)
    31810 OTD vs. 31499 OTD offered by dealer ($300 below invoice?)

I do have another dealer who said to get all my quotes, come to him and he'll beat it. If it is already $300 below, do you really think he can beat it? Thanks.

Also, do you really recommend an extended warranty?
    ok, i calculated the numbers (which you did slightly out of order) here's how the numbers should be calculated...

sale price
    plus accessories (xm)
    plus doc fee
    times sales tax
    plus registration
    minus rebate
    total out the door price

I got $31,894.59, so the $31,499 seems like a very aggressive price!

I wouldnt bother going to that other dealer, any dealer can beat a price by $100 just to gain your business, but this dealer that you are working with now has been aggressive in pricing, and deserves your business.

If you plan on keeping the car a while, and put lots of miles on a vehicle, i recommend NISSAN's extended warranty (ask for the gold preferred). that warranty covers everything under the sun, and you have a variety of choices with regards to the term of the warranty. and like everything else, negotiation is possible on that price. I do know the nissan warranties have gone up in price, but i still find it is worth the piece of mind in case something goes wrong down the road.

good luck!

• fido1fido1 Member Posts: 5
    Got the same car, minus the spoiler for $25100 in March in Massachusetts. They also gave me the extended warranty (100K / 7 yr) for $100 over cost. It was the best one Nissan offered (I forget the naming convention they use, but it covers everything except parts that wear out, like hoses, belts, tires and wiper blades). This also was without the rebate as I elected the 2% / 5 year finance deal Nissan was running. I should note that I bought this car during one of the worst March snow storms we had - these guy's were deader than a door nail - not sure how much, if at all, that influenced the deal.

Also - my model did not have traction control. The original deal had it in as part of the package. They had to source my car (as they didn't have the exterior / interior color combo I wanted), and on delivery when it was discovered the car didn't have it (2005 model years off the line in late Nov.'04 got it standard, mine was built 1st wk of Nov) they knocked an extra $300 off for the value of it so they didn't have source another car to close the deal (already reflected in noted price above). I swear there is extra money under the table that Edmunds doesn't reflect, as my trade in value was a few bucks greater that the Edmunds price, and their price on their car was under their " invoice "...? Get your #'s together based on all options that you want (don't settle for what's on the lot - it costs too much money for a car - get exactly what you want), set up the warranty deal you want (if you want one) as a condition of the sale (I think mine priced @ $1195 - not sure, I'd have to find the paper work), let them move first, then start with your counter @ $1000 under your number. Also - when you arrive at the dealership, tell them you have to be somewhere in 45 minutes so they don't string you along for 3 hours...
    there are a lot of variables that will affect prices that dealers will be willing to sell a car for from month to month. really, the only "money" out there that dealers get is holdback, save a few incentives that nissan may throw your way as a special program (for example, if you sell x number of maximas this month, we'll retro the money for $250 per unit). other than that, that is it - there is no "secret" money out there...

• darrinpsdarrinps Member Posts: 2
    I bought a black SE 6 speed (man I had a tough time finding one too) with rear spoiler, mats, flaps, and some dealer added fabric protectant and paint sealant (I know...but I didn't really pay anything for them). The total cost after the rebate was 24,300 fro North Texas Nissan and was bought in February.

So far, I REALLY like this car (fun to drive...for as big as it is). My last Maxima had 178,000 miles on it, and almost NO problems. :)

One question though...I'd like to add a Sirius sat radio. Anyone know of an aftermarket radio that will work with this car? It is prewired for sat (says so on a sticker on the driver's side door) and I would like to get something that integrates with it.

Thanks!
    i dont know which aftermarket radio will work, however you can go back to the dealer and have the tuner installed, and play it right through your factory radio (which i think would work/look best)

• darrinpsdarrinps Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I know that can be done...but for a factory sat radio they wanted $400, where as the aftermarket ones are less than half that!
  • zamajtukzamajtuk Member Posts: 2
    Was wondering if I was offered a good deal for a 36 month lease on a 2005 Maxima SE Standard. I told the dealer I had to go home and think about it. I didn't want to seem to excited, but the car is nice.

They offered me $325 a month with 2,000 cash out of pocket ( that covers tax, tags, reg, and down payment). I was told that I would be getting the car at invoice. Which I am not sure what that is just yet.

Very nice car, black with frost cloth interior, the sky roof, and rear spoiler. I really like the car but I don't really no that much about leasing. I just want to make sure I am not getting taken for a ride.

Is this a good lease?

I have great credit so I know I will get the best rate, but Am I getting the best price? If not what should I go back to them and say?

Thanks

jay
  • rovernut3rovernut3 Member Posts: 11
    First, what is the MSRP of the car? Then what is the invoice? Nissan is advertising MRSP of $28000 and selling for $25000 which is a lease of $309.
  • itchitch Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $474.00 , 36 mth. 17K Lease. Sticker is $32K. I want to be close to $400. Is this reasonable?

Also, when do the 2006's come out??

itch
    were you putting any money down on the lease (covering inception costs, etc?) if you are, then that price seems awfully high to me. if not, then it may be right in the range - i'd have to calculate it out when i have a minute. i think you can get to $400 easily if you put down the inception fees - otherwise, the dealer has to roll them into the cap cost of the vehicle, and it shoots up your payment.

as far as the 06's - we have no news as of yet - i would guess they would be coming out in august-october time frame...but thats me guessing...

hope that helped!

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Hey guys,

I'm in the market for an SE Maxima with DPP- Automatic or Stick. What should I pay for this car? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, what is a good price for an SE with the Sensory Package- Auto or Stick? Thanks.

Regards,
    Joe
  • nberkelnberkel Member Posts: 5
    Hello!

Does anyone know when the 2006 Maxima's are coming out? I am thinking of leasing an '05 and I can't help but think it might be worth waiting a few more months and be able to get a better deal on the 2005 model once the 06's come out. Does anyone have any feedback on that?

Thanks!

Nikki
    Sorry for the duplication - just realized the 06 question had already been asked!

Thanks,

Nikki
    nikki,

when it comes to leasing, it's usually not your best interest to get a "last years" model. the way leasing works (and you can find out more details in the leasing questions forum) is that the car is estimated to be worth xx% of its original MSRP after x number of months. if you are looking at an 05 vs. and 06, that percentage will be higher on an 06 by virtue of the fact that it is a year newer. if you want to pull the trigger on a lease, either get an 05 now, or wait for the 06 models - but i wouldnt recommend leasing an 05 when the 06's are out.

hope that helps!

Wow - thanks for setting me straight! I will got check out that leasing questions forum. I drove a Maxima for the first time last weekend - OH SO NICE!!

Thanks again!!

Nikki
    no problem! if you were buying, thats another story however ;-) but leasing you generally do better on cars that are newer - or at least the newer model year (05 vs. 06)

that leasing forum will be able to answer your questions even better than i could!

good luck! the Maxima really is a nice car!

• alexmax3alexmax3 Member Posts: 1
    If anyone can shed some light on a realistic lease term for a fully loaded
    SE 05 with driver prefered package, excluding navigation.

Thanks,
    Alex
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    You should visit our Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion and post as many details as possible to get help. Car_man will need to know how long you want to lease for, annual mileage, what part of the country you're shopping in, and any other details you can provide.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• puncherpuncher Member Posts: 12
    Hi Thene,
    I would love to have your thoughts on this deal.
    I got this quote back in February.
    In your opinion how much can I expect to pay now?
    Thanks for your help Thene.
    We need a guru to help us through these confusing times.
    Can you tell all of us again your back ground?

Current Configuration

Vehicle Description (08715)
    2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    Current Configuration

2005 MAXIMA 3.5 SL 4DR AUTO

Invoice MSRP
    BASE $26,929 $29,450

FLOOR MATS $113 $150
    SGD $92 $120
    SPLASH GUARDS
    SRF
    POWER SUNROOF $780 $900
    TC1 $0 $0
    TRACTION CONTROL
    50S $0 $0
    50 STATE EMISSION
    Freight Charge $560 $560
    Total $28,474 $31,180

Sale Price

$27,974

Sales Tax (varies by state)
    Tag Fees (varies by state)
    Subtotal
    Down Payment/ Rebates
    (college grad, factory rebate, etc.)
    <$1,000>
    Total Out The Door Price (excludes taxes & tags)

$26,974

Thanks again.
    Puncher
    puncher,

i've been in sales nearly 2 years - certainly not as long as some other veterans who frequent this board, but enough to know some of the inner workings of a dealership, some of the myths, and some of the realities!

as far as that deal, if you are saying the selling price (before tax, reg, fees, etc) is $500 below invoice, you have a great deal - no question about it! on that maxima, there is maybe $700 in holdback max, so the dealer gave you everything but $200 bucks. plus the rebate, and you are getting an awesome deal!

currently the rebate is $1500 on the Maxima, so if that is your number from february, it will be better now. dont expect too much more (if any) on the maxima as far as rebates - it is nissan's flagship and they wont try to kill resale by blowing those outta here.

good luck!

Thanks Thene,
    I will let all know what happens with the current quote I have requested.
    Thene
    Me again,
    Well they came back with a new (current) quote that includes the additional $500 rebate. And the new quote is "Out The Door Price (excludes taxes & tags)
    $26,381"
    Good deal ay? :shades:
    sounds great!

after friday though, i wont have any more inside info - i am resigning - turns out all the people i loved working with have left/been fired/ with this new change of ownership...

time to move on!

good luck with your purchase!

-thene :shades:
    Well Well Well,
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
    New people, new places, a new adventure!
    The way I understand it moving around kind of goes with the job.
    You are lucky to have the kind of career that you can move around so freely. Most don't
    Good luck to you Thene.
    Puncher
    puncher,

not my career - it was an experience, but i certainly don't want to stay in car sales. i went to school for graphic design, but the market has been tough :-(

i liked cars, decided to give it a try, and learned a whole lot from it. now its time to move on to something else. i'll still be around to give advice, just cant run leases, etc anymore :-P

thanks though puncher!

• conrua_atlconrua_atl Member Posts: 4
    Hi Thenebean:

I live in Atlanta, GA. I configured a 2005 Maxima SE w/manual on Carsdirect.com and the quoted price was $28,416 before taxes and junk fees. Options included the Elite package. Can I get a better deal than this?

Thanks,

ConRua
    conrua,

i dont have the numbers in front of me, but considering to get the elite package you need pretty much everything else below it, id say you're getting a great price! enjoy your maxima!