Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• viva1966viva1966 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Thenebean (and others who might have an answer),

I hope to purchase a 2005 Maxima SE within the next week. The only options I have added are rear spoiler, mud guards, and floor mats. I have contacted 12 Nissan dealers in the Houston, TX area and the MSRP ranges from $28,269 to $28,640. The price quotes that I have received range from $24,546 to $24,840 plus TT&L. Most of the prices include a $1500 rebate and a $2500 dealer discount. Is this the best price that I can get on this vehicle. Also is it possible to negotiate on the gold extended warranty? How much is it normally? Also can you negotiate a complimentary loaner car for appropriate scheduled maintenance and/or free oil changes in your purchase deal?

The last time we purchased a vehicle in 1997 we were completely ripped off. I don't want that to happen this time. I want to make the best decision and do what I need to do to get the best offer. And believe it or not, I actually had one dealer offer me the quote at MSRP and another just pull a quote out of his hat at $100 or $200 above invoice as he stated. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can offer!

Sincerely,
    Need Help
  • hartthartt Member Posts: 79
    Local dealer is offering an '05 Maxima SE with DPP, sunroof, mats and chrome wheels for $349 a month (plus tax) for 3/36,000 miles with $1999 down.
    The sticker on this car is just slightly over $34K. I'm not sure how much of the 2K is cap cost but it seems like a pretty good deal.
    I wouldn't want to put any more down than the required fees. What do you guys/gals think?
    Thanks for the input.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    seems like a very fair price - as far as loaner cars, you are better off to find a dealer that already offers them as a perk - some dealerships do, some dont. if you dont have a price from them, offer them the prices you have, and see if they'll match, then you'll have the loaner cars as an added bonus!

as far as the warranty, it is negotiable - however i dont have the numbers or markup for warranties - just so you know, the warranties through nissan went through a price hike about 2 months ago, so they aren't cheap!

good luck!

-thene :)
  • brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Was looking at a maxima SL with a msrp of 31,880.00. Has sunroof 900.00. Floormats 150, driver preference 800.00 and splash guards 120. Dealer with all rebates is asking 27,025.00. Can I get him any lower.? Claims I'm paying invoice less 2000 in rebates. Has he got more room to get the price lower. Thanks.
    rebates are only $1500 - and there is about $760 in holdback on a car like that, maybe $800. if you can get yourself to invoice, or below, i'd consider that a fair deal and move on. no need to stress over possibly getting another hundred or two

life is too short!

enjoy your maxima!

• brian211brian211 Member Posts: 69
    Thanks. Had gone to dealership with intent on looking at pathfinder. I know someone who owns mitsubishi, chrysler,jeep,dodge, toyota and nissan dealers here in nyc. Wanted a 4x4. But with gas at 270 a gallon and seeing how big they are, they suggested a maxima and proposed above deal, msrp 31880 for 27025. How does a maxima perform in snow? Also I noticed blind spots looking through rear view mirror and the slopping hood, can't see it actually from behind the wheel, unnerves me a bit. Anybody have something to ease my concerns. Also, I'm driving my old 87 monte carlo. These new cars with all thw gizmos and gadgits and computers make me nervous. Still think 27025.00 is a bit much. Saw jeeps and envoys at over 33 selling for 25 and 26. I know nissan doesn't cut prices as much but I think I can do better.
    american cars tend to have a bigger markup, and bigger rebates, which is why you can get a bigger discount (is it just me, or do americans like big? :P )

anyways, i still think your price is very aggressive - as far as snow, it is a front wheel drive car, and will perform fine, so long as you arent driving through snowdrifts, or driving carelessly.

as far as the blind spots - a lot of cars these days have a sloping hood so you cant see the front end - its just something you gotta get used to..

good luck!

• highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    My 96 Maxima didn't pass for inspection a couple days ago. I went to a Castrol GTX oil change service station to get my inspection and they print out a report stating specifically what i needed which was 2 O2 sensors and a knock sensor. The service rep. at Nissan dealership told me that in order to pass for inspection, i would need the sensors which cost me about $900 and i would also need to buy a idle air control valve costing about $180 and also told me that i needed new spark plugs so that i can pass the inspection. After fixing my sensors, i went back to the Castrol place to reinspect for free, and they said everything was fine. Basically i got hustled into buying the spark plugs and control valve for nothing. This is bad news i know but i just thought i should share it with you guys. Oh yeah, i think im getting a new used car in the near future =)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I see you found our Nissan Maxima Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion, which is the best place to talk about repair issues.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cubs10cubs10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all...just back with an offer from the dealer...New 05' Maxima with DPP, Sunroof, Mats and Mudflaps. MSRP $32,750. Dealer Price $28,000 w/all rebates included. Is this a good deal, or should I keep workin' it??

Thanks for your help.
  • charliern9charliern9 Member Posts: 22
    Hello,
    I'm new to this forum but am considering a lease on either a Maxima or Avalon. I may go with the Maxima because well equipped it is a lot less than The Limited. I was amused by the one post where the guy seemed like he was in the exact same situation as I am. He even used the term "consolation prize" when referring to the Maxima that he bought. However after a week of driving the car he seemed very pleased. I have a 2002 Avalon and would not even consider another except for the fact it's been redesigned and much more powerful. Anyway, my real question concerns "invoice pricing". Can one believe that the invoice pricing they find on Edmunds, is accurate? I also looked at the column "what others are paying" and assumed that's where I needed to be bargaining from. Is that correct? Also are there any rebates right now on the Maxima? I'm in the Atlanta area. Thanks!!!
    rebate on the max is $1500 right now. as far as the invoice on edmunds, it should be right or close to - depending on equipment. what others are paying is a great place to start, it lets you know that at that price, you are not overpaying, but also not getting the lowest possible price. for some people, thats all they care about. fair deal, no hassle, happy experience.

good luck!

• polo2badpolo2bad Member Posts: 1
    :mad: unless you want to go to the dealer every month i would not recommend you get the 05 max. Bought mine in October and i have changed my radio 2 times and my front shocks once going on my second time next week. dont buy lease the max or buy the new Avalon the 06 are very very nice
    your problems on the maxima are not commonplace for all maximas. sorry you've had such bad problems though! good luck!

• bcokbcok Member Posts: 2
    I am a first time car buyer. I contacted a dealer who gave me a price of $28,000 for the 2005 Maxima SL with the options listed below:

Driver preferred Package, Traction control system, Vehicle dynamic control, power glass sunroof, colored splash guards, DVD navigation system

Is this a good price or should I work him down some? Any helpful response would be greatly appreciated. Thanx
  • trojan_sigtrojan_sig Member Posts: 1
    I'm contemplating this purchase...

2000 Maxima GLE
    Fully loaded
    3 small cosmetic scuffs on paint
    somewhat dirty interior (mostly carpet stains)
    102K miles
    $8500 ($9500 after dealer BS fees and taxes)

The only problem is the engine seems sluggish. When I punched the gas, the car's RPM's didn't jump. I've heard 5th Gen Maximas have MAF problems (which can cause slower acceleration), and I'm hoping this is the only cause. Do any of yall know what the sluggish response could be a result of? It would be great to have some problems in mind to check before considering the purchase. The dealer said they would check it out and make the necessary repairs at no cost to me, but I want to watch my [non-permissible content removed] and my checkbook before spending my money.
  • pakman209pakman209 Member Posts: 3
    I was a bit confused about the term "$2500 dealer discount". Is this the same as the difference between MSRP and Invoice...so in otherwords you were getting Invoice minus the rebate and some of the dealer holdback? I just wanted to know to what extent I should be negotiating from and if getting Invoice minus rebate and some portion of holdback would be a good deal.

Thanks for all your help! :)
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    I would suggest taking it out for another test drive, then while out, going to see a trusty mechanic and let him look it over. Shouldn't cost more than $50-75 and should be enough to CYA. Good luck.
    that looks like more than a fair price to me! go get it!!!

• nexofanexofa Member Posts: 31
    I'm just starting to look for a Maximna lease, and have never leased before so I'm unsure of myself.

I saw an advertised lease deal of $309/mo, $2000 down, 42 months, 12k miles/yr. for the base Maxima SE. I went to a dealer, who had me test-drive a demo SE with Driver Preferred Pkg, sunroof, premium sound, etc (but no Nav. Sys) and 2500 miles on it. He said he would do the $309 lease deal on this car (presumably the added cost of the extras would be canceled out by the 2500 miles already on the car. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your input...

-T.
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I just bought a 2004 Maxima SE 6 Speed with the Sensory Package (Leather,Bose 6Disc) and Sunroof (original MSRP was probably around $31,600) for $20,300. Miles were kinda high at 38950 so I did get a 5/60 (so up to about 99K miles) Nissan Extended Warranty for $1150, bringing total price to $21450.

Seemed like a decent deal at the time and 6 speeds (which I wanted) seemed rare to find in a New '05 with all the rebates, so I went with it.

Does anyone think I got totally hosed? If I had to do it over again I think I'd wait and try to find a new one -- especially since I think I would have liked the extra headroom with a Skyview rather than sunroof.

Whaddya think?
  • rumrunner1rumrunner1 Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone.

I am looking to buy a 2005 Maxima 3.5SL.

I was wondering if anyone would care to share what they paid for their maxima in Ohio.

I have determined from reading posts on this forum that people have been getting pretty good deals on the maxima (as much as $2000 off invoice without counting the rebate).
  • movermover Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the Nissan Employee Pricing Program and why are they not offering it to the public like many of the other car manufacturers?
  • bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    I just bought a 2005 Maxima using the vendor program (not as good as the employee one). Anyway, you pay a few hundred under invoice before rebates. You can probably do as well just haggling but I didn't feel like it so I took a fair price with the program.
    $2000 off invoice sounds a bit high. A few hundred under seems more likely.
  • dougalandougalan Member Posts: 2
    when you say few hundred $ under invoice, is this including the infamous "destination/ dealer fee"? or not?
  • dougalandougalan Member Posts: 2
    anyone been quoted by a dealer for 2006 Maxima SL? Interested to see if anyone has been successful in being quoted at, or below invoice. Debating on 05 around $27k, or 06 around $28k.
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    He may have made up for it in the residual value. The residual on the base SE according to the disclaimer on the website is $14320 + $150 fee. Is your purchase option more than this? If not I'd say you got a good deal. Either way, if you're planning on turning the car in, sounds like a good deal.

Tom
    Here's the details -

Vendors program: Invoice - 2.87% + 2.5%(dealer fee) = Net price
    example invoice $30,0000 = net price of $29,867

Employee program: Invoice - 4.3% + 0%(dealer fee) = Net price
    $30000 = $28,710

Of course, TT&L is not included as well as any delear installed add-ons.

In my case, I paid around $140 under invoice for a 05 3.5SL. I felt that was a fair price without spending hours haggling.
  • 05onyxsl05onyxsl Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of a brand new Onyx 05 SL with DPP, Mats, Splash guards, Sunroof and VDC, I got it all for $26,500 :) + taxes, tags, etc.
  • rumrunner1rumrunner1 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know what the current factory to dealer incentives/carryover allowances are in your region for the Maxima?

I'm curious how some people on this forum have managed to get deals that are 1000 less than invoice without even counting the rebate.
    they arent doing employee pricing because they dont have to. people will buy nissans at the price they are at, why reduce it anyways? just doesnt make good business sense. honda toyota or any other foreign car manufacturers havent done it either, just the american ones...

• bobo1005bobo1005 Member Posts: 1
    got a demo 2005 maxima SL for $26700 with 4800 miles on it (after $1500 rebate, excluded tax, title and destination charge). msrp $31880 that has Driver preferred Package, Traction control system, Vehicle dynamic control, power glass sunroof, and splash guards. Was it a good deal?

- bobo
  • pakman209pakman209 Member Posts: 3
    "I just took delivery of a brand new Onyx 05 SL with DPP, Mats, Splash guards, Sunroof and VDC, I got it all for $26,500 + taxes, tags, etc."

thats a great price in my opinion...can you give me any more details on your deal so I can see what I can get in Cali? I was seeing around 29K so I am interested to know how you got it soo low.
  • patriot2patriot2 Member Posts: 1
    Dealer in Orlando, Florida gave me a quote of $30, 711 on a 2005 Maxima SL with Sunroof, Drivers Prefered Package, NAV, Splash Guards and Mats. Good Offer or should I push a little more ?

Patriot
  • gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    Patriot

You should be able to get an 05 Maxima at (or slightly below) invoice....then take either the better finance rate (currently 2% for 36mo or 4% for 48 or 60mo) OR an additional $1500 cash back. Assuming the sticker on the vehicle you described, above, is about $33,220 (includes destination, but not TTL, etc) - the invoice should be about $30,300.

If you take the cash back (instead of the rate)...invoice is about $28,800.

Good luck (the heated steering wheel is the best!!)
  • gspgsp Member Posts: 5
    Is this a good package deal for 2005 Maxima SL
    Options:
    DRIVER PREFERRED PKG
    COLORED SPLASH GUARDS
    FLOOR MATS/TRUNK MAT
    moonroof
    MSRP $32000
    Purchase price $27100 (2nd counter offer from them)
    trade-in:
    But I am only getting $2400 for a 98 camry with 130k miles..I put $2200 early this year into it

Any thoughts on how to get them down a bit more on the price?? or should I keep the camry for another year and deal for a 06 Maxima

Is ther more room to neg down??
    The purchase price on the car seems fair to me....about $500 below invoice after the $1500 rebate - but - I can't tell you about the trade (model? 4cyl vs. 6cyl, options, etc). The 2006 has Bluetooth capability, if that's important to you.

You can work up a fair trade-in price for the camry at KBB.com or similar website and judge for yourself. Personally, I'd rather drive a Maxima over a camry ANY day. ;)

Good luck!

- 4-time Maxima owner
  • gspgsp Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply

My camry LE is 4cyl with cd player only option. I am going back and forth between the Avalon and Maxima. Which one would win the debate as to the mechanical problems and resale value...which one is better???

Do you think there will be a greater rebate in Oct for the 05's ie around $1750 or $2000??
    Thanks for input!!!!
  • promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Trying to decide between Maxima and Acura TL. Can buy '06 Maxima for invoice less $1000 rebate. Best deal on '06 Acura is about $1000 over invoice. Can't beleive that Nissan already has $1000 rebate on '06s. Is there something that I don't know?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Why not? Toyota's offering $1000 rebate on 2006 Camrys.
    Has anyone added XM or Sirius to their Maxima after purchasing it? The 2004 -2006 radio is already set up for satellite radio control. I was wondering what people paid to add it. Thanks.
  • dashbbdashbb Member Posts: 119
    Bought a brand shiny new 2006 Maxima SE last weekend for $1000 below factory invoice from Continental Nissan (Chicago suburbs).
    MSRP: $28,620
    Invoice: $26,173
    Paid: $25,173
    Excellent car!! :)
  • t6matrixt6matrix Member Posts: 2
    i just wanted to know what kind of end of year clearance deals are being given on the 05 maximas. is anyone getting invoice plus rebate off?
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Good luck on finding any/many 2005 Maxs around. My local dealers only have 2006s.....
  • scramblinmanscramblinman Member Posts: 33
    i just wanted to know what kind of end of year clearance deals are being given on the 05 maximas. is anyone getting invoice plus rebate off?

Unfortunately, it appears that Nissan has currently ended their incentives on both 05 and 06 Maximas. During October they were offering a $1750 rebate on 05s and $1000 on 06s or low interest financing offers.

There are still a few 05s around here (Puget Sound/Western WA), but they are definitely becoming fewer and farther in between.

We purchased one of the last remaining 2 new 05s at a local dealer, a Liquid Silver SE with Driver Preferred Package, Sunroof, Floor/Trunk Mats, Splash Guards, and Chrome Wheels on 10/29.
    MSRP $34,290
    Invoice $30,900
    Dealer quoted $29,999 over the phone
    - $1750 facory rebate
    $28,249 + T&L
    $30,880 out the door.
  • stevencatystevencaty Member Posts: 11
    Hi every one
    I'm new here, can any one tell me what the different between the SE & SL
    And any one out there have opion how much for 06'MAXIMA if I buy how much I will pay for that.
    the option (Liquid Silver SE with Driver Preferred Package, Sunroof, rear spoile, floor&Trunk Mats,splash Guards)The sticker price $32,565.00 in the dealer ( I live in PENNSYLVANIA)
  • jchi1121jchi1121 Member Posts: 1
    Just leased a 2006 Nissan Maxima I'm having them install a remote starter. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it worth it?
  • dirtyo2000dirtyo2000 Member Posts: 1
    is this a good deal

2006 maxima sl
    ext. spirited bronze
    int. caffee lattee
    nissan navagational system
    power sunroof
    driver preffered package
    blue tooth hands free
    splash guards
    carpeted trunk and floor mats

he said that with the rebate 30,800 and i was reasponsible for the title and tags. i just want to make sure my wife test drove it and fell in love im in iraq and not at home to deal so i have to take his word and make sure that my wife is not getting beaten. i dont really have a lot of time on the comp to look things up but i typed in the questioin and it sent me to this forum any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • carolyn7carolyn7 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm driving a 2006 se right now and going back to the dealer tonight. The Se is a sport model 18" wheels really great a little rough ride, the Sl is a larger car 17" wheel smoth ride; it comes w/wood trim standard ugly. But they can get it w/crome. I'm having problems w/the dealer(sales) not Nissan this car I've been driving for a week; tire going flat will not give me a new tire.

Good luck