Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Nissan Maxima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• traindrivertraindriver Member Posts: 328
    15000 miles per year / 26 mpg = 576.9 gal X $2.50 per gal = $1442 yr

15000 / 21 mpg = 714.3 gal X $2.50 = $1786 yr

1786 - 1442 = $344 year difference between 26 mpg and 21 mpg

Will $344 per year make that much of a difference? Buy the car you want to drive.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    That's what I'm talking about, traindriver!!
  • nissanou812nissanou812 Member Posts: 5
    I am with you and that makes sense. however I drive 25k per year plus and if gas is back to 3.00 or 3.50 within a year the difference would be $800 at 3.50 per gallon. I know still not a ton of money but it is what it is. The mileage calculation was just an annoyance I mean why have inaccurate information on a brand new car. anyway thanks for your help.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I'm just now beginning to search for a new car. Currently driving an '03 Maxima (72K miles) and am considering the '09 Maxima, Lexus ES350 and Toyota Avalon. IMO the Max seems a bit high priced but haven't driven it yet.

Has anyone out there gotten any good deals in the Denver/Fort Collins region.

Thanks

easypar
  • tmikebtmikeb Member Posts: 18
    I can spend 27.2K on a company vehicle. It is basically a cash transaction since our leasing company sends the dealer a cashiers check. Do you think I have any chance in todays market to get a loaded up SV at that price? Per our leasing rules, the car can't be a demo.
    I was wrong in what I can spend. It is more like 26,870. I have to add 2% to the selling cost and be under 27.4K, Anyone have any ideas on what the highest sticker priced Maxima I can get? How can I get the best deal when there is no trade-in and basically is a cash deal? Is it silly to find a car I want, make an offer and set back and see what happens. I am not in a hurry to purchase. I can turn in my current vehicle anytime after late May that I want.

The only rub is that it has to be a 2009 and can not be a demo. Our company leases through a third party and it is a mileaged based lease, not a month based. I asked about purchasing a demo unit with a few thousands miles and they said NO.
    Anyone heard any grumblings about May 2009 Rebates?
    I am guessing they are going up... a bunch.

I reviewed the sales of the Maxima and Altima since August. The numbers look horrible regardless of what the dealers are telling us. Year over year sales:

Maxima
    AUG 08 +15%
    SEPT -19.1%
    OCT +33%
    NOV -37.2%
    DEC -16%
    JAN 09 -30.3%
    FEB -38.4%
    MAR -26.4%

Altima
    AUG 08 -.5%
    SEPT -42.4
    OCT -18.5%
    NOV -45.3%
    DEC -31.2%
    JAN 09 -34.7%
    FEB -31.5%
    MAR -37.8%

I am interested to see April's numbers that should be release next Monday.
    APRIL 2009 Sales Numbers Year over Year for the Month

Maxima +62.7% - nice recovery, but still -17% for the year which has to be a huge disappointment in the first year of a model overhaul.

Altima -46.9% and -37.7% for the year. I am thinking some big rebates are coming on Altima's.
  • spuds09maxspuds09max Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased am 09 SV w/ Premium, mats and splash guards. The MSRP was $37,355, best deal I could get was $31,300 + tax and tags. I had one dealer offer an addition $100 off but the 35 miles further was not worth the effort.
  • dispatch585dispatch585 Member Posts: 3
    spuds09max,

Did your price of 31,300 include the additional $1000 rebate that was available towards the end of April? I am looking at cars with the same MSRP now and the best anyone will quote me in the Boston area is 31,750 given that the extra $1000 rebate has expired.
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    Went to cars direct and lease calculator web site

my numbers

2009 maxima -3.5 SV premium/tech spoiler/mats

MSRP 39,430
    Invoice $35,921
    Sell price: $34,821

Lease details:
    12k a year
    56% residual
    .00108 rate
    39 mo.
    mo. payment = 413.46 including tax

probably going to wrap up a deal like this today - anything at or under this I would be ok with.
    Maxima rebate is back through June 1.....$1250.00.

http://local.nissanusa.com/crossregional/index.html
  • cinci5313cinci5313 Member Posts: 19
    realhawker, can you give your regional location? That sounds like a great deal as I am looking for the same but have only gotten a dealer down to $35,930 in the first round of negotiations.
  • realhawkerrealhawker Member Posts: 30
    in NYC tri-state area. If a dealer bites, ill let you know who.
  • spuds09maxspuds09max Member Posts: 2
    Yes, they said and my paper work reflected the additional $1000 rebate. However, as I was working with other dealers and went back to them after the additional rebate came out they said they would not come down any further. There explaination did not make any sence to me. At the end (last 2 days of the month) while working with 3 dealerships I felt that I was at the bottom of what I could get. One dealer offered to take $20 more off but said this was as far as he could go.
    Thanks for the response. I wonder if they knew the additional rebate was coming ahead of time and had already factored that into their quote assuming you wouldn't close the sale until after it was available. I seem to be hitting the same kind of wall at around 31,600 on a 37,355 MSRP with just the $1250 rebate so I am going to assume that is a decent price since I've already had a few smaller dealers tell me they flat out they couldn't match it.
  • ohohohohohohohoh Member Posts: 5
    Today, I got a email which said $7,900 off for Maxima. But no detail.
  • saxony902saxony902 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a SV with Tech package for $30650. This was a little less than $7k off MSRP I couldn't believe it!

My negotiation strategy:
    1. Found a dealer on ebay with published discounted new car pricing.
    2. I used this as my basis for negotiation. I included the URL link of the dealership in Maryland so they could see that I was serious.
    3. I emailed 6 local dealers and found one that would beat the price.

The email negotiations were great the closing experience stunk! Although the price was worth the aggravation.
  • mrlddstmrlddst Member Posts: 10
    I'm currently looking at a Used '09 Nissan Maxima SV Sport with Tech. It has about 8300 miles on it already. I live in VA and the dealer is asking for about $32,900 what do you think I should ask for it?
    I would go for lower. The $32,900 is less than $2k off invoice and it already has 8,300 miles on in!! Try for $30,000 or less. With that many miles already on it, you don't know how it's been driven and by who.
  • traderumorstraderumors Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased am 09 SV w/ Premium, mats and splash guards. The MSRP was $37,380. I got it for $31,750 + TTL. That includes the $1250 cash back. Invoice was $34,077. We have 2 locals dealers here and they were competing for the sale. I can't believe how great a deal that is, I'm too happy!">
  • lolodlolod Member Posts: 1
    I just agreed to the price of a 2009 maxima sport with tech, mats. MSRP was 38500, got the car for 27500 + TTL with a trade in of a 2003 VW Passat with 60K miles on it. KBB gives 8K in excellent condition, but I had a few dings and dents on the side. Figured got the Maxima for about 32500. What do you guys think, should I go through with it, good deal?
  • angelsfan1521angelsfan1521 Member Posts: 3
    After seeing some of the deals people got here on the new maximas, I went looking to see if I can get one for $32k - $33k. Sticker was $39k for the car I wanted. I wanted to take advantage of 4.99% rate they had advertised for 60 months. With $3k down, i figure payment to be about $600 inc tax. If I traded in my vehicle, which has $4k negative equity, i figure payment to be about $700 for 60 months.

They came back wanting $5k down and $570/mo for 84 months. I understand they want to negotiate, but I was speechless and felt insulted. Was I justified in feeling this way or did they give a legit counter offer? Paying total of $52k for a $32k + $4k for my trade in didn't seem like a good deal.

Another note - I used Nissan's calculator to estimate payment for $29k financed at 4.99% for 60 months. This was about $550/mo. The dealer told me that there was no way that was correct. Was the Nissan calculator that offbase or were they pulling my chain? Didn't leave me with a good feeling about this place.

I'm new to all this, so I do appreciate your opinions and comments.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    60 month payment for $29K at 4.99% is $547.13..

It's just math.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kbh1kbh1 Member Posts: 3
    Just rec'd following lease offer good through today: Maxima 3.5SV, tech pkg, xenon lights, bluetooth, floor mats, splash guard, cold pkg:

MSRP: 37,405
    Sales Price: 32,595
    Residual: 20,572.75 (55% of MSRP)
    $738 down (I think includes first pmt, but need to clarify)
    39 mos, 12k per year
    Mo pmt: $408 (incl tax)

Thoughts?
    What's the money factor (lease rate/interest rate)?
    Actually ended up getting the SV, premium package for almost identical figures as above. Mo pmt with only about $800 down (incl first pmt) would have been $407. They gave me about $1,400 for trade which brought the 39-mo. pmt down to $364. Felt good so I got it...

Lease rate is .00108

p.s. I heard the May programs have been extended a bit...not sure for how long.
    Nice. That's the same lease rate as May. It may drop for June, but I wouldn't think by much.

I've had mine (SV w/ prem+tech) for just over two weeks now and it's been great. Still working on figuring out all the bells and whistles. Taking it on a long drive in a few weeks and looking forward ot the experience.
    the May lease rate and overall programs ran through 6/1...one of the dealers I had worked with called me today and said "good news...they extended the program..." surprise, surprise! Anyway, last night I test drove both the SV with premium pkg and SV with sport pkg...I must say that I do miss the handling on turns of the sports pkg, but I liked the monitor, display and rear-view camera too much on the premium pkg and that's what broke the tie. Good luck with yours!!

btw, this forum was an excellent resource for me as I headed into the price negotiations...I must have spent two hours plus looking over all the posts and it really helped. Thanks for all the posts!
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    I loved my 2002 Maxima. great power 255 hp. 28+ mpg. I traded in at 120K miles. I regretted it as it was a great car.

I like the way new Maximas looks. Altimas coupe looks good but Maximas look great.

My question is the price though. Those who can get $6K off the MSRP, more powers to you. But still that put the price in the low $30K.

Isn't that the same price as the G37? What makes Maximas a better deal?
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Isn't that the same price as the G37? What makes Maximas a better deal?

I have often wondered that myself. With the G you get more horsepower, a 7 speed auto instead of CVT, rear wheel drive (no torque steer) and a longer warranty (4 yr/60,000 versus 3yr/36,000 basic).
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I chose the Maxima because the interior is considerably larger, it gets slightly better mileage, actually liked the instantly responsive CVT and paddle shifters, FWD is better in the winter for the Northeast (AWD G37 is more expensive) and the Maxima looks fresh and sporty (personal taste vs. the more reserved G37). I'm sure there are plenty of arguments for the G37 also but the interior size really decided it for me. The G37's are going for 2k under invoice right now (without special financing) so if you are comparing a G37 Journey to a Maxima SV with sport or premium package they are about the same price. However, Nissan seems to be selling more Maxima S's with cloth, etc. that come in at a price point below any of the G37's, but then I suppose you could argue to just buy an Altima....
  • skx172skx172 Member Posts: 1
    got a lease May 30th on the base S model for

$1,700 day one (includes 1st month & taxes)
    $315/mo
    39 months
    NY state taxes included
    what you guys think of the deal?

A little rant"
    The car had 42 miles on it when i drove it off the lot.
    the next day i noticed fluid stains in the parking spot where i left it
    also when i started it in the morning there was a squeeling noise & clunk untill it warmed up
    took it to the dealer he said that the rack and pinion needs to be changed and he said it will take a week to get the part.

any advice lemon law???
    Lemon law does not kick in when you need one trip to the shop to make a repair. Its meant for instances where your car is in the shop multiple times and they cannot repair the problem or it keeps coming back.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Could you tell us why?..it will be interesting...and where did you finally buy?....and was that place the bad expirience?...thanks...congrats on a great price
    The intial negotiation were great! This was accomplished via email. I even submitted my credit app and insurance paperwork prior to arriving at the the dealership. When I arrived at the dealership they had one person processing the paperwork for new car transaction and it took forever (3hours) even though all my paperwork was complete.

Overall I like the car after 4000 miles. My only complaints are the seats are a little hard and the traffic option on the navigation is useless. The brakes are much weaker than my BMW 550. But that is not an apples to apples comparison.
  • dgrebdgreb Member Posts: 65
    A dealer in GA is offering a Maxima 3.5S with leather and moonroof, no other options for 25390+589 admin + TTL

Is that a good deal?
    Sounds like a good price!
  • shamcyshamcy Member Posts: 23
    A dealer in Chicago offered me a black on black Maxima SV with premium package for $32,600. Sticker is $37,380.
    Any ideas on how this deal compares to others' who bought or are looking for a similar car ?
    I bought in May and paid 80% of the sticker. Things (prices, demand. inventory levels) do change you may want to push for another $1000 off.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Looking to buy a 09 maxima for my cousin. has anyone on this board bought a maxima for 1000 below invoice. any contact info would be appreaciated... tommorrow i'm going send out about 20 emails to different dealers in the nyc area.. thanks

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

been buying cars for 30 years to much talk about M.S.R.P. on this board. ALWAYS WORK down from invoice then add on any incentives/ rebates. the power you have is to put the dealer on the spot with i buy right now if you meet my price. no need to ever step in to the dealership unless your researhing the car you want to buy.. supply and demand do play a big part but in todays times. but right now we got the dealers by the you no whats... so buying that car by phone means . a credit card deposit after the dealer faxes you the buyers order. Folks by letting the dealer fax you over that buyers order /// legal document you could see if they try to put on any extra fee's.. cant be any easier.. If any body needs some help buying a new car drop me a line . good luck to all the new buyers out there.

• futureman44futureman44 Member Posts: 12
    Nissan MSRP is about $39K for the car. Any idea what a good price is? I heard from a dealer that there is $1000 holdback and another $750 rebate for the car. Should this be negotiated after I talk them down on the invoice price?
    Chances on getting into the holdback are slim and none. Holdback is also a diminishing item, depending on how long the car has been on the lot.

If there is a $750 rebate you should be shooting for $750 under invoice.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Agree with you on almost all points. But, why in earth would you ever give a dealer a deposit on a commodity car like a Maxima?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • atlantaroseatlantarose Member Posts: 10
    Were there any others at this price? Which delearship? The price sounds incredible.
    . when you buy a vehicle by phone after the buyers order is faxed to you with the vin number model etc. you hold the car with a small 500 deposit.. remember that buyers order is a legal document signed by both parties. the sale is right at that moment when you call....once everything looks kosher its call me when the car is in or ready if its on the lot..easy as pie..it takes me about 10 min..when i buy a car this way.. just got my buddy a toyota highlander for a little under invoice. cash for clunger thing.. called dealer within 5 mins i had a buyers order at my fax and it was done... good luck..

Who is the dealer in Chicago? Name and city? I'd like to get a quote from them

Thanks
  • shamcyshamcy Member Posts: 23
    Glendale Nissan in Glendale Heights.
    I received an internet quote for a Maxima SV Premium package for $31,800. When I went to the dealership I showed them the price and said I had a cash for clunker car to turn in. At that point the salesman said that they were only accepting CFC off the MSRP. The deal he gave me for CFC was worse than the internet quote I received from them. After haggling with him about honoring the quote and taking the $3500 off the quote he walked away from me.

The dealership was Nissan of Woodbury NJ. Unprofessional and rude.

I would recommend staying away from dealerships who bait and switch and then get angry at you for their own program.