Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• gty62gty62 Member Posts: 25
    I can talk to the color matching question - as I just had BSM's installed on my'04. I looked hard, and, if it IS off, it's off by sooooo little that it's really hard to see - the metallic paint (sagebrush) really helps hide any mismatch ('course, I put new moldings on a new car, so car paint fade was not an issue!).

As for the self installs, the side steps/running boards seem straight forward enough, as all holes are pre-drilled at the factory. The Tailgate deflector, on the other hand, requires you to drill thru the paint . .. . I'm with chen and kinda leery of putting holes in a $41K car .. .. (not to say it can't be done.)

Good Luck!
  • ironchefironchef Member Posts: 5
    mchen:

What brand dvd-r did you use? I tried Princo in my MDX I got today and they didn't work? Thanks!
  • domlauridomlauri Member Posts: 6
    Just picked up Touring with Aspen White.
    I intended to add the fender flairs , front bumper and spoiler myself.

I am looking for opinions.

What does anyone think of adding these trim items colored sandstone or burnished bronze instead of color matching the Aspen white? After that I was thinking of switching hardware with the gold package.

Any thoughts?
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    Domlauri,

Trying to turn in your MDX into an Eddie Bauer Edition? I'd forego any of these gaudy treatments. They just take away from the clean lines. My color of choiceis Silver over Black with white over gray coming in second. They may not turn heads, but they retain their value better than trendy colors. You can always dress the look up with a nice set of non-stock rims and tires, but I'd leave the body configuration alone. Just my opinion, not the gospel word.
  • nerdaknerdak Member Posts: 12
    I intend to add the side steps to my 04 MDX. After looking at the instructions

http://www.handa-accessories.com/e/MDX/08L33-S3V-200F.pdf

when I want to install one bracket assembly using 4 flange bolts, I find only 2 holes, so where do two other bolts go?

Please let me know how to install side steps if you have experience in installing side steps or you already have in your car and can take a look at under your MDX.

Thanks
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I installed the running boards myself. It was very easy and took about 3 hours.

I am not sure I follow your question. The instructions show 4 bolts used to attach bracket B, 4 to attach the bracket to the car and 4 more to attach the step to the bracket. Each bracket has to be assembled separately before you attach it to the vehicle...maybe that is where you are confused?

I put the brackets together the night before and then attached everything to the car the next day. When it says to only tighten the brackets to the car 3/4 threads it means it...I thought I would get ahead and tighten them more, the brackets need to be loose in order to slide the steps onto them for attachment...I had to back out all the brackets to make it loose enough to get my boards to fit on top and then re-tighten them.

You will need a torque wrench. $60 at sears and it is a good investment anyway.
  • nerdaknerdak Member Posts: 12
    Thanks sbcooke. To install an assembled bracket to the vehicle, I found 2 holes close to the edge of the body but I couldn't find the other two which suppoded to be further in underneath the vehicle to install the assembled bracket.
    They should have plastic plugs in them that have to be removed. Perhaps they are caked over with dirt...I would suggest a car wash with an underbody cycle prior to installation.
  • kennyh28kennyh28 Member Posts: 6
    nerdak, sbcooke:

This interests me because I am removing the side steps from my '04 MDX and plugging back the holes with new clips.

I do see the 4 mounting holes under the car for each bracket (3 brackets per side). 2 are close to the edge and the other 2 a little further in underneath the vehicle on a structural frame.

According to instructions, there are only 6 clips per side which presumably are to prevent dirt accumulation.

Are the plastic clips covering the 2 holes at the edge or the 2 further in?
  • sjs18sjs18 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody know where I can purchase a kit (or module) for daytime running lights for a 2004 MDX. Dealer and Acura do not offer it for the 2004's. They say the Canadian models have different wiring system to accomodate DRL's. Thanks for any clues.
    I don't remember whether the clips were inside or outside?
  • vannyvanny Member Posts: 3
    I'm waiting for delivery of a 2004 Touring MDX so can't check this out myself. Will the mini-jack in the rear (I guess for gamers) accept mp3 players and send the audio to the car stereo? I kind of doubt it would.

If not, has anyone modified their MDX stereo to accept the mini-jack? I think the best place to put it is the well storage between the front seats. It would be nice not to have to use the cassette adapter.
  • suv04suv04 Member Posts: 13
    What is the difference between the Satin Chrome Side Steps and the other one? I just got a Sandstone Metallic and was wondering if the Satin Chrome may go well with it.

Thanks
  • gty62gty62 Member Posts: 25
    The satin chrome is a 'brushed finish' - not too shiny (think of a brushed aluminum door frame.) The chrome finish is a 'high gloss' - shiny chrome. both have black rubber foot pads.

As to which will go better, that's up to you: the chrome will match the door handles, and the satin will match (kinda) the wheels. I got the chrome with my sagebrush pearl, and am happy with that choice.

Good luck!
  • johnrph1johnrph1 Member Posts: 6
    I just finished installing the following options myself. Bright Chrome Side Steps (sandstone MDX) and Gold Grille and Emblem Package.

Note the instructions on Hondacuraworld and other websites are for 2003, you must email them to get 04 instructions which are slightly different. There are less bolts on the 04 installation of side steps because only the front bracket on each side is two pieces the other two are now a one piece bracket. I completed the install in about 3 hours after, getting the correct instructions! I bought a mechanics creeper from Sears for 25 dollars that made the install much easier. Quick tip, to knock out the plugs in the body, tap the center of the plugs with a knife point. The plastic tab in the center breaks and the tab pops right out. Make sure to leave the brackets loosely screwed together until you have all bolts in, this makes the job very easy.
    On to the grille and gold emblems.

The bumper is a real shocker,definitely light weight plastic. The really bumper is heavy weight steel underneath the plastic and you do not touch that. After removing the screws, bolts you realize that the bolts are just screwed into very light weight plastic. I laid the bumper on my creeper and this set it high enough to allow me to remove the fog lights. The instructions are a little vague here. I actually took the lamps out of there housing by turning them 1/4 turn. This was easier than pulling the wiring harness off. I got the bumper off in less than 30 minutes, being very careful. Installing new grille was a snap. (Really light weight plastic, they really make money on these accessories). It took me about 10 minutes to put the bumper back on, except for one "bolt" that did not want to thread back into its cheap tin clip that is actually attached to very light weight plastic. Be careful when putting these bolts back in so you will not over tighten or rip plastic. Emblems were as instructions say, just floss them off and remove adhesive and replace. Once again, you realize that Acura makes big bucks on this lightweight plastic. Still everything looks great in the end. I am an average handyman at best and had no problems with this. The creeper really made things easy. I rested the side step on my lap while rolling my legs under the MDX and this made the side step easy to align and attach.
  • patmc102patmc102 Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking of ordering the following from Hondacuraworld.com instead of having the dealer install them on the 2004 MDX that I will be ordering. They are body side molding, cargo cover, rear splash guards,wood grain trim kit. Are these difficult to install or can a 55 year old lady who has put many a toy and vacum cleaner together handle it. Thanks for any imput.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    You should not have any problems installing these items. The BSM comes with templates you tape to the vehicle to help line them up. A good eye and some patience will get them perfect.

The cargo cover is a no-brainer; I can't believe some dealers try to charge an "installation" fee! It just snaps into two slots in the interior's sides! You just push in the end of the cargo cover and keep it pushed down so it can pop into place.

The wood grain trim kit just requires patience in aligning the pieces, and some prep work in cleaning the areas so that the adhesive sticks well.

Arguably the most difficult item in your list are the rear splash guards. Two of the screw and clip combos are pretty easy to put in. The third is a bit of a nuisance because the tire gets in the way of most screwdrivers. It helps to have a very short screwdriver or one of those that let you screw from the side. Some folks have removed the tire to make it easier! Some folks just leave out the third screw.
    If you still want the dealer to install them, you can use the web pricing to negotiate...i.e. if they want $300 to install a $50 item, tell them you will buy it and they can install it...they may then bring their pricing down to a more reasonable level so they can still make some markup on the purchase.
  • noodleggnoodlegg Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 touring mdx w/ roof rack. I would like to mount my Sears 15 cu. ft box on the rack but the rack is not on movable sliding rail. Sears does not have a kit to fit this rack. I noticed that Yakima and Thule also do do not support the MDX. Do we have to buy the Acura Box or does anybody have a suggestion to make my box fit. Thanks
  • tbooth2tbooth2 Member Posts: 33
    I'm surprised by this, because I saw Honda Pilot (similar or same configuration as MDX) up at ski resort with Yakima box, so I advise that you investigate further for reaching this conclusion.
    I have a Thule Summit. I have not tried mounting it on the MDX yet, but am sure I can. It has very adjustable clamps. If the few bolt holes that are available for adjustment won't fit, I will simply drill new ones. I believe it should fit without having to drill, but I imagine if I had to drill it would only be 2 new (1 per side) as opposed to having to drill all new holes for each clamp (2 per clamp/4 clamps). Then just cover the extra unused with electrical tape.

The MDX box might not be not be bad also, if you don't want to muck around with drilling a new box (mine is several years old, so modifications don't worry me).
    Just checked the Thule website. They list a lot of boxes that fit. Just select option 2 when doing the fit guide-->boxes...option 1 points you to buying a whole rack system first.

You could also email yakima and Thule just to be sure.
  • ladera_rancherladera_rancher Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone let me know what the speakers sizes are for the MDX Base Model? I tried looking on crutchfield.com but their database did not come up with any match.

Does anyone have reccomendations on brand and models? Also, any installation tips would be great.
  • dshedrickdshedrick Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had the rear spoiler added to their 04 MDX? I'm curious to see what it looks like before I install one.
  • edog11edog11 Member Posts: 12
    dshedrick, I was hesitant like you until I finally got a glimpse of a MDX with the rear spoiler installed. You will not see many, but I believe it distinguishes your MDX from others and it looks real good. I purchased my spoiler via hondaacura world and had my local dealer install it for $80.00. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a picture of my MDX for you to see it.
  • dhanderdhander Member Posts: 41
    Given the less than stellar braking performance, I thought about upgrading the rotor, pads etc.

Has anyone considered making modifications to the brakes on their MDX?
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    You might try better tires first. Big high performance brakes won't help much if the tires don't have enough grip.

Brake feel won't change with better tires, but my experience has been that much shorter emergency stopping distances have resulted when I put better tires on my cars.
  • vannyvanny Member Posts: 3
    I need to lower the exhaust pipes in order to install the hitch. How do you remove the rubber muffler hangers? Do you just force the metal arm through the hanger? The arm has a tip to prevent that from happening. Thanks.
    I had to move things around a little, but did not have to remove any muffler components to get mine on. I have an '02, maybe the newer ones are different?
    I just installed the moon roof visor and Air deflector yesterday and here are some tips for those who are considering doing it.

Moon roof visor: Careful of the clear grease within the moon roof itself. It's CLEAR, if you accidentally get some on your arm or hand you will have it all over your roof. This was easy to install, only took about 10 minutes.

Air deflector: Be sure to know the parts before you start! There were two screws that had a semi clear bushing on them so I mistook them for a different set of screws.

Attaching the two side supports: The directions call for you to measure 15mm from the front edge of the hood. Forget that… Try attaching the supports first to the air deflector with the appropriate screw and then attach the visor to the hood you can use a piece of white soap to mark the edges of the supports so they line up properly. I made the mistake of following the directions and holes in the unit weren’t accurate. I had to twist the screw sideways into the hole.

This weekend I will be tackling the body side moldings. I think I will use the soap line method for that install and see how that works. Has anyone else already installed these? Do you have any tips?

The Acura dealership wanted $98/hr to install accessories… Yeah right!!!
  • gamecubegamecube Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried to play a Nintendo Gamecube or Playstation on their DVD Entertainment Center? If so, does it play well and which inverter did you use?
    Has anyone made backup copies of their DVD's to play in the MDX's RES? If so, what type and brand of media did you use? DVD±R DVD±RW?
  • suv04suv04 Member Posts: 13
    People on this forum have discussed installing BSM by themselves. Are the instructions fairly easy for folks who are not mechanics? If I order from hondacuraworld.com, should I order 2 Units i.e. one for each side or does 1 order cover both sides of the Acura.

If someone has done the installation, please post detailed instructions.

Thanks
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    One order covers both side and the instructions are on hondacuraworld.com. It comes with templates to line up the moldings and takes about 30 mins to do. A very easy DIY project, make sure you do it on a dry, warm, and not too windy day, and do it right the frist time because you dont have a second chance at it if you mess up.

Good Luck
    I was going to apply the BSM's that I ordered online, however, when it came to actually pulling the trigger and applying them, I just couldn't do it. I called two Acura dealers and it cost me $60 to have them installed. A bargan IMHO when looking to appy them to a 35-42k car depending on what model and how much over invoice you paid.

I did install the moonroof visor, front air deflector and the cargo tray cover myself. The visor and cargo tray were no-brainers. The air deflector has some tricks that you really only learn until you have done one.

Good luck!
  • agoyalmdagoyalmd Member Posts: 4
    I have used Memorex 4x DVD-R in the RES system (2004 MDX) without any problem. The disk was burned using Nero software. Memorex 4x DVD+RW did not work.
  • sea1sea1 Member Posts: 2
    I need some inputs on Nose Mask for 04 MDX. Will it scratch the paint? Thanks
  • 12bluex12bluex Member Posts: 9
    I've also debated how to protect my shiny new MDX from rocks, dusts, bugs, etc., especially on long trips. Thought about Formfit deflector, Acura Nose mask, and clear bra (not lingere but Paint Protection Film). I didn't care too much for the deflector look which will also make it difficult to wash so I threw that idea out. Acura Nose mask has its problem. You'll have to wash and wax underneath regulary and got to be very careful duing install. You'll have to take it off when wet or washing the car and I've heard installing the Acura mask is tedious. Clear Bra (clear film made by 3M, Venture, Llumar, etc). It's a clear film that covers frontal area that prevents dings, chips, and scratches. The only drawback is the cost and you can see a barely slight line across the hood. After going researching, discussing, contemplating, I've decided to go with Clear Bra. It's getting installed tomorrow.
    I managed to get my Thule Summit Box carrier on top of my MDX. I had to drill all new holes for the brackets, but it wasn't too hard. I just had to plan very carefully. I also had to remove the top of the radio antennae.

There have been a lot of posts regarding whether these fit on the truck in the past, so I finally got around to putting it up there. It would probably been easier if I had a template, the Thule site just says you have to drill holes.
  • icec97icec97 Member Posts: 17
    I'm also interested in a front protector. Your idea of Clear Bra sounds like the way to go, please let us know the outcome...and the cost to have it done. Thank you.
  • lss63lss63 Member Posts: 4
    Im looking for Formfit front deflector for my 04 MDX. Can anyone give some direction.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    www.hondacuraworld.com sells the FormFit air deflector. They've got good prices and excellent service, I've purchased from them a few times.

The FormFit is much more attractive than the Acura-issue one, IMHO.
  • 12bluex12bluex Member Posts: 9
    I just got it installed. Hard to say how effective they are until I drive around for awhile. I'll loop back within next couple of weeks.

Pricing varies depending upon type of coverage you chose, installer, type of film, etc.. Regardless, this is probably the most expensive option. Plan on spending $600+ if you opt for full coverage for MDX. You can get the qualified installers/quotes from www.3M.com and www.Xpel.com. 3M is the film manufacturer. Xpel is a pattern maker working with 3M.

This is definetly not a DIY. If you decide to go DIY, you will probably end up costing you more at the end because it is easy to mess up the kit during install. For professional installer, they can pattern out a new kit using a bulk role film. If you mess up, you'll have to purchase another kit which will then completely wipe out any savings and actually put you in a hole. My professional installer had to go through several kits just to get it right. Highly recommend getting a reputable installer in your area.

There are severl paint protection film manufactures; 3M, Avery, Llumar, and Venture. 3M seems to be in the business the longest but each installers has their preference and recommendation.
  • swcarawayswcaraway Member Posts: 1
    We just leased a 2004 MDX for my wife. After about a week she is becoming unhappy with the look of the simulated wood inserts that come standard on the Touring model. I have found a real wood dark burlwood dash trim kit made by ACP on www.autocarparts.com for $354.

Does anyone know what is involved in removing the original simulated wood inserts and then replacing them with the new real wood inserts? Additionally, do you think that this replacement of OEM parts would cause any problems for us at the end of the lease?
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    I would not modify anything on a leased car if I were you!!!!
  • texasmomtexasmom Member Posts: 114
    It's been a a month, has the clear film worked so far?
  • phillybigeasyphillybigeasy Member Posts: 31
    Looking for some technical help. I'd like to get Sirius satellite since it carries the NFL. Does anyone know (or have done this) if it can be hooked up directly to MDX base model radio?

I know Honda/Acura is linked to XM, but they don't have the NFL which is why I'm going with Sirius. Also, if anyone did install satellite, where did you mount the receiver?
  • redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    Do the wide body side moldings available in 2004 for the MDX help enough to warrant the price and more importantly change in look to the MDX? I love the way my (new) 2004 MDX looks and would rather not add the BSMs unless they are very helpful in preventing dings / scratches. Comments please.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    With the wide range of vehicle heights I've found that body side moldings don't help prevent parking lot door dings as well as I would like. Certainly they help, but don't expect they will eliminate door dings.

Three of my last 6 cars have not had body side molding (including my MDX). There hasn't been a noticeable difference between cars with or without.

One of my current vehicles, with body side molding, has dings above and below the molding, as well as a mark on the molding.

My Cruiser received two dings in the driver side rear door on the same day. Only one would have been prevented with molding. Paintless dent repair removed these two dings, plus another large one on the front fender. The cost was $50.

My Acura dealer put a dent in my MDX's door with the door of another vehicle. The dent was much lower than where the body side molding would have been, so the molding would not have helped. Paintless dent repair worked.
  • progerproger Member Posts: 44
    I agree w/ you, MDX's with BSM and other cars with same, does'nt really prevent dings 100%. I've noticed cars with BSM and seen dings over or below BSM. I've ruled out putting one on my MDX 'cuz, how good would it be if I'll get one anyway. Honda Pilot got a better BSM 'cuz it's bulkier & wider but I don't think it would look good in MDX. I'd probably wait until I get a few and have a paintless dent repair.
This discussion has been closed.