Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• miksmiks Member Posts: 33
    The ones I saw fit nicely! They were placed on by the dealership. The pieces were lined up perfectly. After looking at them very closely it appeared to me that only someone very familiar with the process ought to attempt the installation. I've been reading where many attempt installation of after market options but once I looked at how meticulous someone must be in order to correctly install the fender flares I was amazed anyone would try it themselves. Are the only problems you've heard of related to placement and that they didn't fit well? Please let me know if you read something additional. Thanks, Miks
  • will4271will4271 Member Posts: 187
    I think if you ask the dealer to install them or someone familar with the installation, you should be okay.

The user on another site mention that he had to trim the edges a little near the mud guards to get a good fit. I have decided to pass on it.
    I really wish you could have seen what I saw! They looked really awesome. I had actually decided to pass on them until I saw them painted and on. I must admit I can see where he had some difficulty with placement. But painted they really looked awesome! Thanks for the info. Miks
  • solsmansolsman Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does anyone out there know if the Acura DVD Entertainment system can read a DVD-R ?

I would like to know if I should start converting all our VHS tapes onto DVD-R so that we can watch them on the road.

To be technically correct, I am asking if the Acura system can play a "DVD Video" that was written on "DVD-R" disk.

Nearly all consumer home DVD players, $79 and up, support this. But considering the Acura audio CD player doesn't read MP3, I'll ask...

Thanks!
  • prostangprostang Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know where I can order a "nudge bar" (aka pre-runner)? My wife really wants one for her MDX and I cannot find one on the net.
  • slockoslocko Member Posts: 111
    i find the sound on the 2002 non touring mdx atrocious. the speakers in my 2002 honda ody sound better and that is only because i spend a lot of time driving the mdx. I remember not being overly impressed with the ody speakers before I got the mdx.

Now I hear a big difference between the mdx speakers and the ody speakers. The ody speakers seem to produce better bass.

I am wondering if any one has replaced their stock speakers or know of a website that covers mdx mods.

thxs.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    lots of stuff there about speakers etc. I upgraded for small cost. Big improvement.
    INKY
  • piaa2001piaa2001 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone purchased the Lower Trim with the piece painted to match your MDX color?
    HondaAcuraWorld.com is offering to do this at a cost of $125.00
    I am curious is the color matched the same?
    I am sure it must look better than the ugly grayish color that comes standard!
    I don't know how good or bad the painted products are from Hondaacuraworld. I do know the dealership here paints accessories in their body shop and they are a perfect match. I am getting the fender flares to match the vehicle. I have seen the work of the dealership and it is identical! A wonderful job.
  • designrulerdesignruler Member Posts: 3
    I'm ordering an new MDX with a nav system and am considering whether to get the DVD as well. I am wondering about several things:
    1. Do the necessary extra DVD controls result in compromises in the other dash controls? Do they get overly complex, or overly simplified?
    2. Are there any concerns about moving the CD changer to under the driver's seat (which is necessary when both the nav and DVD is installed).
    3. Does the DVD player interfere (or take the place of) any overhead lighting?
    Thanks for any input!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Perhaps investigate an aftermarket DVD player first? They fit under the seat too, and then you still have the CD up front? I think decent aftermarket systems are about $1200 installed. What is the dealer cost?

I don't know how they integrate aftermarket dvd sound into the stereo, but I imagine it isn't hard.
    Does anyone have any info/input on chrome rims for the MDX? I know it can be a fine line between classy and gaudy. Please help. I saw the silver with chrome rims on the floor at the dealership. Wow! It looked great, not cheap or gaudy. They said they send the rims out and have them chromed for the whopping price of $200 per rim. Are all rims dipped that are chrome? Is this a normal price? Upon close inspection they didn't look like they had been "dipped". One of my concerns is will they eventually start flaking? I know nothing about rims and would appreciate some assistance here. The rims were the ones that come on the touring and looked really great.
    I like the rims on the touring edition. If you want chrome rims, maybe check tirerack.com and then sell stock/touring rims on ebay. You might even make a profit.
    Thanks, So not all chrome rims are dipped?
    Does anyone have some info on possible 3rd party bike carriers that would work on the factory installed '03 MDX roof racks? I need to be able to put 4 bikes on the roof and the Acura accessory book's bike carriers only seem to allow a 2 bike maximum (and these seemed quite pricey besides).

I checked out the Thule site, but it looked like they didn't have anything that would work with an existing factory installed rack. Any ideas?
    Either a hitch mount? or trying to get thule/yakima bars mounted to the factory rack, and then you can add 4 of those specific carriers? The curve to the stock rack doesn't make it a great bike carrier. I am going to add a hitch (hiddenhitch.com) and rear carrier for the MDX. The price is close to the same as a roof rack by the time you add it up. I can't decide if I want to do the trans cooling kit if I add a hitch? I need to call the dealer about that just to double check (not that you need it to tow bikes, but warranty issues could be in question).
  • mkligmklig Member Posts: 2
    You brought out a good point - the Acura factory rack is worthless. The problem is that neither Yakima nor Thule make a rack system that fits in the gutter to replace the Acura rack. Both companies make racks that use footings that anchor themselves in the top of the door for the MDX model. I windsurf and also am looking how to do something to make the factory rack work since (as sbcooke pointed out) there is that curve in the middle of the factory rack. If you look at the dealers book on accessories it pictures an MDX with side rails without cross bars for the luggage kit. I am wondering if this is the Oddessy rails and could they be placed on the roof instead of the MDX factory rack - if so both Thule and Yakima make cross bars to fit this and you and I could put bikes or anything else up there.
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    The acura's roof rack also has a very low weight limitation. I forget was it 150 or 250 lbs. Four bikes mounted to those rails may be pushing it a bit.
    Thanks for the input and the link. I too was suspicious of a low weight limitation on the factory roof rack when the Acura dealer told me that only two bikes (with their Acura bike carriers) are permitted up there. But most decent touring bikes only weigh 40 lbs or less, so four of them would only be about 160 lbs. But before I risk 4 carriers, where do they publish the max load specs?

In regards to hitch mounting, I asked the dealer at ordering time about the possibility of having the hitch installed without having to shell out the $1100 for the cooling system because I only wanted the hitch for a bike mount. He said they wouldn't install the hitch without the cooling system, so it seems like a warranty issue to me. I'm still tempted to install my own hitch for a bike carrier and possibly just use the roof rack to instead hold any future cargo box I may get for longer trips. But like sbcookie, I'm afraid of hitch warranty issues too.

I'd really like to figure this out. I've been holding off on getting a bike rack until I settled on a new car (which I intend on keeping a long time).
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    02 owner's manual says 165 pounds (75kg) on the rack.
    Thule's rating is 150 lbs. I put more than that up there. Also, bikes are what? 20 lbs? 4 should go up there fine, except for actually fitting them up there.

I am probably going to get the kit from hondacuraworld.com and do it myself, the hardest part seems like taking the bumper off. I just hope I can get them to separate the hitch from the cooling additions, so I can get mine from hiddenhitch.com.
  • lenijlenij Member Posts: 18
    those inquiring about the dvd entertainment on the mdx (which was installed in my '03 mdx touring nav):
    * first, you have to check with your dealer the screen size of the dvd monitor that you want installed. i never checked mine, and found out it was a bit small (maybe less than 6" diag.). they carry the Audiovox brand.
    * the dvd player is placed under the driver's seat, and can be operated with a remote control that you just point to an infra-red device mounted on the driver's side pillar just above your head to play or operate the dvd.
    * the remote operates both dvd and vcr, wherein the latter is placed under the floor of the cargo area. you can operate both the dvd and vcr at the same time, and can watch either one of the movies played "interchangeably" in both players (but not at the same time).
    * another remote is used to operate the dvd monitor itself. there are two (2) wireless headsets that they provide with the dvd system.
    * the 6-disc in-dash cd player remains. in fact nothing is changed in the dashboard, even with the navigation system.
    * i was told at the dealership that the dvd navigation system player can only read the acura dvd mapping sotware. i never tried using a dvd on it.
    * the bug deflector i purchased in one of the acura accessory internet store really looks great and fits easily and nicely.
    * i just purchased the sunroof visor at hondacuraworld.com, and it fits fine.
  • dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    designruler - we have an 03 with nav/dvd, and our kids (15,12,7) and their friends all love it. We got the two wireless headsets, and purchased one more (hondacuraworld.com was way low compared to dealer cost), and they can see the screen easily from all seats, including 3rd row.

We've found it very easy to use; there are dual controls for front seat(parents) or middle seat. We can divert sound to DVD without stopping our music use in the front - perhaps aftermarket can do this to, but it is an easy switchover, and makes us all happy!

CDs work in the DVD, which is great for the MTV effect. We had such a pleasant 600 (each way) mile drive recently, with all passengers well entertained and happy! If there is a downside to the factory DVD, it is the lack of VCR capacity. Someone posted a message re:VCR to DVDR transfer without answer. We are looking into this too.
      Our origional vehicle's delivery stalled and we ended up buying our current vehicle with dvd as an unnecessary add-onn, but now wouldn't own a family vehicle without it. The nav is incredible, too.
  • willbrookwillbrook Member Posts: 10
    I've just ordered a 2003 MDX (touring model). I also plan to order some accessories from 'Hondaaccra World'. My question concerns replacing the standard shift knob with the 'burlwood' knob. How does one change the knob? Are there threads so that it just 'screws off', or is it a more complicated process. Thanks for any advice.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The shift knob just screws off. It takes some elbow grease to do it (don't use tools) but is easily done.

www.hondacuraworld.com is a great place for accessories. Good prices, excellent service.
    Thanks for the info.
    I've ordered a 2003 MDX (touring model), which should be delivered early next month. To prevent 'door dings', I plan to have the dealer install the 'side moldings'. Only trouble is, I haven't seen one car with the moldings. The MDX brochure and other pictures of the SUV that I've seen are minus the accessory. I wonder if that's because the moldings detract from the appearance of the SUV. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
    What color vehicle did you order? We can probably link in a picture with moldings installed.
    I don't like the look. Especially the wheel well covers. They have a cutout around the gas tank lid. I think they match body colors now, which they didn't before (or at least I think not) which would improve the look. When I was shopping I saw both a black and white model with grey moldings...it didn't look good.
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    I have the door moldings on my MDX, I think it actually gives the SUV more detail. Looks kind of plain without it. For picture of MDX with moldings, go to Acura.com and build one with moldings or go to Hondacuraworld.com, they have a picture of it.
    I've ordered the 'nighthawk black pearl' with 'saddle' interior. Thanks for the responses - I'll check out acura.com.

The owner (Casique on another system) also has on the vehicle the moonroof visor, the FormFit (not Acura) front deflector, a clear bra, and running boards.
    Thanks very much for the photo. I like the look of the moldings, and will order them.
    fyi, Hondacuraworld.com sells the moldings for around $112 including shipping. Self-installation is quite simple, Acura includes paper templates to align to the top of the door and tape, which then provides the edge to align the molding with.
  • sumasar1sumasar1 Member Posts: 3
  • sumasar1sumasar1 Member Posts: 3
    DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THE FACTORY INSTALLED RES COSTS FOR A BASE MODEL MDX WITHOUT TOURING PACKAGE,IF YOU CAN PUT THE RES TO THE BASE MODEL WITHOUT A TOURING PACKAGE?
  • hoover94hoover94 Member Posts: 5
    sumasar1,
    The factory RES is only available on the Touring model with or without Navigation. The other option is to have an aftermarket unit installed.
  • leonardzleonardz Member Posts: 2
    We are about to get a used 2002 MDX (I hope). If we do, we were hoping to get a backup sensor. In Canada they are about $1100.00 (in Canada), installed and with taxes.

1) Are they worth it? I have never driven a car with one, so it is hard to measure the ebenfit.

2) Are there good 3rd party alternatives to the Acura installed one? Any benefits for the Acura one over a third party sensor?

Thanks.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Have had two cars (both Jaguars) with back-up sensors. At first thought it would be just a toy, but discovered after using it that they are very helpful, especially when there are low objects behind the car. I don't care for the TV camera type on the Navi version of the 03 MDX because one must look in the opposite direction of travel to use it, but it does show what is back there and is a great help. Much prefer the aural warning sensor type.

The aural system that Acura has costs about $500 in kit form from Acura parts. It is an involved installation that requires removal of the bumper cover and some interior trim, so if you are not very handy working on cars it is best left to the dealer to install. The cost, including installation, is similar to the amount a body shop would charge to repair a scraped rear bumper.

After market kits cost less but usually don't have sensors on the corners of the bumper. They work, but it appears from the sensor locations the factory designed kits have better corner coverage. I have a three sensor after market kit (factory designs usually have at least four sensors) for my PT GT
    Some MDX owners have successfully installed the Poron backup sensing system on their own. It did not require removal of the bumper and they routed the wires through, using the reverse lamp socket.

My understanding is that it is relatively inexpensive but effective (under $200 for the system hardware).

Supposedly you can buy extra sensors from Poron to improve your coverage. There is a version that provides voice and beeps through a speaker, or a version that provides a distance display plus beeps.

I can't vouch for how it performs against the Acura system or other backup systems. Realistically, no one's run a good comparative test.

www.poronusa.com
  • ekharekhar Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting my MDX on Sunday.. Dealer installed the sidesteps for $529. I was going to buy them for $445 and do it myself. But at $529, why?
    oh.. and I got nice $1600 discount of MSRP
    I agree. I got mine for $349 on sale at hondacuraworld...so I saved a lot (my dealer wanted $700) and took 3-4 hours to install. I would probably do the same thing. I think $80-100 is reasonable for the effort involved.
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Anyone actually installed one? part & price#? How about the aftermarket wiring harness; the hondacura one is too expensive at $57. Install tips for both? TIA
  • piaa2001piaa2001 Member Posts: 10
    I ordered my accessories from Tim for my 2003 MDX and can't wait to install them.
    I saved over $1,100.00 vs what my local dealership wanted for the same items. Dealer accessory prices are ridiculous in prices!!

The accessories ordered were:

Lower Trim kit painted midnight blue
    Moonroof Visor
    Cargo cover
    Rear Tailgate Deflector painted midnight blue
    Body Side Molding

Do not order from anyone else but Tim, he was very helpful and gave me a discount on the painted items

Now all I have to do is wait for the MDX to arrive on the 18th!!!!

Piaa2001
  • onelgsonelgs Member Posts: 38
    What were your prices for each item? And, WHO is Tim? (hondacuraworld???)

If you'd rather email me, please do at L79D@aol.com

Thanks!

Lidia
    www.hondacuraworld.com sells Honda and aftermarket accessories at good prices, with excellent service. Tim runs the parts department and the online parts and accessories business. Good guy, I've bought a number of items from him and have always been happy.

Most of the accessories aren't too hard to install by yourself.
    Thinking of using 255/55/18 or 255/50/19 during fair weather and keeping the oem for winter - handling should be improved but 50 series might be too harsh. Any experiences?
    For performance or looks? I think the Michelins 17" are pretty good. If I did anything I would actually go the other direction and get 16" for improved winter/offroad ride. i.e. I might someday want to take it to the beach (my Isuzu does fine now) but the 17" tires are not very good offroad in aired down situations.
    Wider/lower profile for looks and performance. I dont understand the logic behind going to 16 for winter.
    More aired down conditions, but if I am buying a more aggressive tire it would be dual purpose. That is a big IF. The abuse my trooper takes offroad and the overall amount of sand it takes on makes me very wary about taking the MDX anywhere close to the same spots. Just my opinion regarding tires...if I were to add any, I would add 16" to improve that end of performance.
This discussion has been closed.