Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• vinyljunkievinyljunkie Member Posts: 31
    Be very careful when you think that a recall has something major to do with the vehicle. As other posters have stated a recal can do with floor mats and other minor things.
  • redselredsel Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone encountered poor alignment of body panels on 03` Accords? I recently purchased an EX-V6 sedan basically for the Wife; it is very smooth, quiet, quite enjoyable to drive (Wife loves it). I was bummed to find that the hood and trunk lid aligned poorly with fenders. Car has been at Dealer for almost a week and still is not fixed. This is our first Honda and I expected better. Have owned Nissan and Toyota, no such problem. Is this an exception? Hope so.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Got a new Accord at cost.

I thought the balance shaft oil seal was a voluntary repair bulletin. Not an official recall.
  • paulo3paulo3 Member Posts: 113
    Everyone with a 5th generation Accord received a RECALL notice regarding the balancer shaft seal. It was not voluntary but required on 1994-1997 Honda Accords.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    that Honda voluntarily recalled the cars. They were not forced into it by Nhtsa.
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    has expired-so if u did not get it done by 12/31/02-u pay for it yourself. Yeah that is what I call a class act-wonder how many other auto companies have done a recall under those circumstances. Seem to remember somethign about an ignition part failing and the vehicle immediately stopping-seems several deaths were caused and was not until the CA AG got after the manufacturer that a recall was initiated.
    It was a Honda sponsored repair recall. Not a governmental mandate. Just like the warranty on the transmissions. As far as other makes doing the same...Well, I haven't heard of any.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I have a 2K Accord V6 Coupe. I had a couple of questions for people who may know this.

1) What part of the Accord's seats are actually leather?

2) My car has only 38K miles on it, and is garage kept. yesterday when cleaning and moisturizing the leather, I noticed the leather or vinyl starting to tear on the outside side bolsters of both front seats Has anyone else had this problem?
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    Acura/Honda

1994-97 Acura CL, Honda Accord, Prelude, and Odyssey models equipped with four-cylinder engines.
    Problem: Defective engine oil seals can slip causing the engine to drain of oil and eventually seize.

Warranty coverage: Although Honda maintains this isn't a safety recall (hmm, suden engine seizure on the highway, sounds scary to me), the company will inspect and replace the seal and install a clip to ensure the seal cannot move. There are about 1.4 million vehicles involved in this worldwide program. Repairs had been delayed due to poor parts availability.

1995 Accord V6, Acura NSX, Acura 2.5 TL; all 1996-97 Hondas and Acuras, except for the Acura Integra Type R and the Isuzu-built Acura and Honda Passport.
    Problem: Engine malfunctions cause emissions to exceed the federal norm.

Warranty coverage: In a settlement with the Environmental Protection Agency, Honda extended its emissions warranty to 14 years or 150,000 miles. The automaker has agreed to the EPA's demand that it provide a full engine check and emissions-related repairs at 50,000 to 75,000 miles and give free tune-ups at 75,000 to 150,000 miles. This means that costly engine components and exhaust system parts like catalytic converters will be replaced free of charge. It is estimated the free check-ups, repairs, and tuneups will cost Honda over $250 million. The story of the settlement was first reported on page 6 of the June 15, 1998 edition of Automotive News.

Judging by Honda's past actions in denying its responsibility for these kinds of problems, don't hesitate to complain to the EPA if you encounter a scintilla of evidence that the company won't keep its promise. Canadian Honda owners are out of luck.
  • bburton1bburton1 Member Posts: 395
    Had two different dealers perform tests and replace parts when the CEL illuminated on my 97 I4 accord-took several several tries but after replacing several parts of the evap control system-mostly valves and the heated O2 sensor-fixed the CEL and stumbling problem. I can understand some greedy dealers not wanting to do warranty work-no profit. Oh they also replaced a ignition switch something under another "secret" IIRC warranty-apparently some small percentage of these switches are faulty.

I still remember how FMC fought a recall on their thin film ignition problem-think it was CA that ordered them to do the recall. The honda problem would make the car impossible to start-FMC's thin film ignition problem would make the car die while driving-how great would that be on a freeway.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    It was very lonely on this messge board since you stopped writing us. Glad to see you are back to stir the embers. Is it allright if I call you the "Ralph Nader of Hondas" even though you now own a Toyota?
  • rbruehlrbruehl Member Posts: 85
    I had that information in a folder which I thought would be of interest to everyone. Sure I own a Toyota Solara now and you would also after replacing two transmissions.

By the way, the Solara has been trouble free driving so far with just oil changes. It is a very quiet car as compared to my old Accord V-6 which I hope made it to LEMON heaven. I wouldn't wish that car on anyone!

By the way, I picked up a 1984 Maxima in addition to my Solara. I got the Maxima with only 17K on the odometer! It is now my project car as it sat in a retired lady's garage since 1995.
    All of my Hondas have been trouble-free while two of our old Toyotas had the same engine problem and my fiance's mother's 87 Camry needed a new head gasket within 30,000 miles and Toyota would not pay for it. Couple of Toyota owners with the 3.0L V6 had their engine seize within 20,000 miles and Toyota would not pay for it. So while the transmission recall within Honda isn't an ideal situation, they are not alone. And the most important part is they are paying for the transmissions not the owners. Bet a couple of Toyota owners would've loved to hear the phrase "there's a serious problem..but it's covered under warranty".
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    This is kinda ancient history, but shows that Toyota can be pretty nasty to their customers as well.

My cousin and her husband bought a new '84 Corolla. That particular model began to exhibit a somewhat high % of problems in the automatic transmission (this was the first FWD Corolla). Within 1 1/2 years, they had a complete transmission failure and Toyota wouldn't cover it. They eventually took it to arbitration and they won. They sold the Corolla shortly thereafter and wouldn't have another Toyota if they tried to give it to them.

At least when I had the "clunk in reverse" problem with my 2000 EX V6, Honda replaced it, no questions asked, well before the whole thing became front page news. But I'm fully aware that not every Accord owner has been treated quite that well, at least before the extended warranty. Quite honestly, I think it's the dealer more than anything, and the service manager at my dealership was very supportive.
  • umyayaumyaya Member Posts: 123
    Someone posted about this in another thread that got closed but I have the same question. I just noticed a chip already in my 3mth old Accord sedan. I'm pissed! I've also noticed what look like little tiny orange rust spots on the lower side walls' paint. One chip may just happen, but has anyone else seen similiar things already? If there's a paint problem with this car I want to identify it early.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    This issue has been discussed numerous times and it all relates to water based paint. A water based paint will chip a lot easier than an oil based paint. In the USA, it is required by the EPA that all car manufacturers to use water based
    paint.

The cars still manufactured in Japan utilize an oil based paint on its cars. Unfortunately, if you need collison or body work in the USA on your Japanese manufactured car, you will get water based paint.
  • mikegold_1966mikegold_1966 Member Posts: 138
    My Accord has also been trouble free except for the following: There was a wiring harness recall, a balancer shaft clip installed, a fuel sender unit secret warranty replacement, an airbag recall and a secret warranty regarding a buzz kit that was also installed. I am happy that I own an I-4 over the V-6.
  • mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    Why are you glad you own the I4 instead of the V-6? Don't say the V6 has more inherent problems than the I4. Because I think that is what you are implying.
  • according2meaccording2me Member Posts: 236
    with that particular list of "upgrades".

re2283 ...Hondas I-4 has proven itself repeatedly to be very long-lived. The V-6 is still working on that distinction. Only 200k-300k mile entries need apply. I'm somewhat biased as I have only had Honda 4s, but am pulling for the recent family member.
    I am just saying that the I-4 is more reliable than the V-6.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the inline 4 is more reliable than the v6....sounds like gossip to me!! and we all know how reliable gossip is...
    Go to the NHSTA and check out the problems regarding the V-6. It is there in black and white.
    what are u talking about? there aren't any recalls for the '03 accord nor can you tell from the tsbs whether or not they are talking about a four cylinder accord or 6 cylinder accord.

my point is the v6 "engine" is just a durable/reliabe as the four banger "engine"...
    I did go there, and after review the site I have come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I didn't say 2003 V-6 Honda Accord. I meant all V-6 Honda Accords. Some people only read what they want to read.
    okay mikegold,

give an example (off the nhtsa web site) of what you are talking about...because i have no frickin' clue where you are coming from...!
    I dont think MikeGOLD knows what he is talking about.
    Hes kinda like a magician: Magician's pull things out of their hats, where as Mike pulls things out of his.. well u know..
  • dc_sports_ruledc_sports_rule Member Posts: 134
    I think you guys don't know how to use the site. Search each year V-6 Honda Accord and their is a list. Maybe you guys aren't looking in the right place.
    Well, at least DC is finding the problems. Maybe you guys are not looking that hard because they are listed.
    with 200K-300K miles. The 4's have been doing this for at least a decade(lots of model years). In fact, most Honda boards have a high mileage thread and most of the entries are 4's.

Honda has been making the V6 Accord since '95, I believe, so maybe they just need more time to crack the barrier. I hope so.

But in the meantime, I-4's rule the roost for longevity.
    mikek37,

what do ya think...are we talkin' beavis and butthead here??

according2me,

i haven't seen any honda four bangers with over 200k...and i haven't seen any v6s with over 200k. that doesn't mean i should assume that neither engine would do 200k or more miles!
    you would see the proof. Like I said, it may take a few more years for the 6's to hit the high numbers. In the meantime, the 4's are still rolling on.
    But I have seen several Accords with over 200K. Camrys Integras, Civics, Celicas, Corollas, Benzes all that. I've seen a Lexus with like 270K on it. Ready to roll. Heck I have two Lexi one with 124K and the other with 135K. Both ride and look like new cars. For long term service you can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda if you take care of them.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    But the doomsayers here would like for us to believe the sky is falling.

Took in a 88 Legend last summer with 323,000 miles on it. The V-6 had never been apart. It was a 5 speed on it's second clutch.

The body was pretty rough but it seemed to still run just fine.
    I've seen a couple of 98-99 Accord V6's with 130,000-180,000 miles on them and they run just as good as the 4 cylinder Accords. I do think that the 5-speed 4 cylinder Accord is the best combo for long-term reliability but would not shy away from a high mileage V6 either.
    Automotive Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins for 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan V6-2997cc 3.0L SOHC (VTEC) MFI.
    Provided by ALLDATA

Bulletins for 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan V6-2997cc 3.0L SOHC (VTEC) MFI

Emissions Recalls
         TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 99-085 OCT 01 Recall - EGR Port Clogging/Warranty Extension

Service Bulletins
         TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 01-097 FEB 02 Instruments - Clock Light Inoperative
     98-061 NOV 01 A/T - In-Warranty Exchange Program
     00-088 AUG 01 Brake Discs - Refinishing Guidelines
     01-009 AUG 01 Engine - Oil Leaks
     98-011 AUG 01 Keyless Entry - Transmitter
     01-070 AUG 01 M/T - 5th Gear Grinds On Upshift
     01-026 APR 01 Steering Column Tilt Lever - Decreased Clamping Force
     00-099 DEC 00 Wiring Terminal - Repair Instructions
     00-095 DEC 00 Moonroof - Squeak Noise With Sunshade Open
     00-088 NOV 00 Brake Rotor - Refinishing Guidelines
     00-089 OCT 00 Supplemental Restraint System - Inspection
     00-038 AUG 00 A/T - Vibration When Driving at Low Speeds
     00-064 AUG 00 Windshield Molding - Warped/Deformed
     00-063 AUG 00 Special Tool - Chassis EAR(TM), Diagnostic Tool
     00-018 JUL 00 MIL ON - DTC's P0171 & P0172 Set
     00-049 JUL 00 Immobilizer System - Type 2: Operation/Part Replacement
     99-053 JUN 00 Immobilizer Key - Key Code Duplicator
     00-041 APR 00 Rear Door Sash Trim - Wrinkled
     99-018 APR 00 Required Special Tools And Equipment,
     98-019 MAR 00 Audio Unit - Warranty Exhange/Out of Warranty Repair
     00-015 MAR 00 Audio Unit with CD Player/Changer - Error Codes
     00-022 MAR 00 Torque Converter Oil Seal - Installation Tool
     99-063 DEC 99 Muffler Paint Peeling
     97-015 DEC 99 Service Publications - Availability & Ordering
     99-090 NOV 99 Glove Box Door - Rattle
     99-093 NOV 99 Wheel(s) - Clicking Noise
     99-088 NOV 99 A/C, Heater, Temperature & Fan Control Knobs - Loose
     98-031 NOV 99 Aftermarket On Board Diagnostic (OBD) || Tester
     99-062 OCT 99 Paint Damage From Environmental Fallout
     99-075 OCT 99 Updated Troubleshooting - DTCs P1456 and P1457
     99-038 AUG 99 MIL ON - DTC P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient
     98-084 AUG 99 Clutch Pedal - Noise
     99-066 AUG 99 MIL ON - P0304 and/or P0306 Codes
     99-074 AUG 99 Troubleshooting DTCs - P1456 & P1457
     99-040 AUG 99 Wheel Bearings, Rear - Noise
     99-061 JUL 99 Ball Joint Removal and Installation Tools
     99-030 MAY 99 Recommended Materials
     98-056 APR 99 Fuel Gauge - Readings Are Inaccurate
     99-010 JAN 99 Body - 1999 Paint Code Reference
     98-051 AUG 98 Special Tool Loan Program
    If you were trying to make a point by posting TSB's from a car that was produced in 1999 then you have failed miserably. What are you trying to prove, that the V6 is less reliable then the 4. The 4 cylinders also have recalls, but you tend not to show them. The info you posted are TSB's not reliability records.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    - the '99 Accord didn't offer a V6/MT combination (01-070), (98-084)

- Some or all models of the '99 Accord with I4 or V6 engines share such amenities as paint, mufflers, glove boxes, ball joints, wheel bearings, fuel gauges, audio units, rear door sashes, immobilizers, wiring terminals, steering columns, keyless entry, brake discs, windshield moldings, clock lights, HVAC control knobs, SRS and OBD II.

In other words, this extensive list of TSBs provides little information about I4 vs. V6. And as mikek37 already pointed out, TSBs are not reliability records anyway.
    yeah, interesting that he didn't use the nhtsa site that he originally said contained the info!!!

but anyway, i'll bet if you search under 4 cylinder, you'll get almost all the same results. most of those tsbs he posted have nothing to do with the powertrain!
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Only 6 of the listed TSB's relate directly to the V6 engine, and many of them refer to revised repair procedures, diagnosis, or updated special service tools.

"Here are the statistics. What would you like me to prove with them?"
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I bought my first Honda, a 2002 Accord LX 5-speed, in July of 2002 for $15,600. My previous car was a 2000 Ford Focus ZTS 5-speed, also purchased new. The ownership experience so far on the Honda has been so much better than the Ford that there's no comparison. With the Ford I was going in every other month for warranty and recall repairs. So far with the Honda, not a single thing has gone wrong. I been back just once to the Honda dealer for an oil change at 6000 miles. The gas mileage on the Accord has also been quite pleasant. With the Focus I got 23-26 city and 32-35 hwy. With the Accord I also get 23-26 in the city, and on a recent hwy trip going 70 mph with some ac I got 34 mpg. Pretty impressive considering it's a bigger car, with a bigger engine, and better acceleration.

It may be because I got my car at the very end of the life cycle for that design, but it seems the engineers got all the bugs worked out. It sounds like there are a few bugs with the new design, but nothing like what happens with a new Ford, GM, or Chrysler product. Honda to me stands for a quality and sporty car that is affordable for middle class folks. They cost perhaps a thousand or so more than a comparable domestic product, but you save much more than that over the life of the car because of better mpg and fewer repairs.

I've got a GM credit card with more than 2,000 on it, and my other car is a 15 year old Olds. When it dies I may be tempted by a "bargain" car from GM, but I keep reminding myself that the Focus, with 4,800 off with a Ford credit card, did not end up a bargain in the long run.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    It pays you back 2% toward ANY car you buy. If you don't want a GM product, you could go that route instead. Or the Platinum Dividend pays 1% and sens you a check every time you hit $100 in dividends.
  • rskcalrskcal Member Posts: 2
    I noticed tiny orange spots that resembled rust on my new accord(silver). They were on the rear spoiler and side moldings as well as roof and doors, but the fin and side moldings are not metal so I assumed the spots were not rust. The dealer took them off and waxed the car, but I still dont know what it was. Only one tiny chip elsewhere. Any ideas?
  • bribabybribaby Member Posts: 18
    My wife had those on her Subaru Forester when she took delivery. The dealer removed them. We were told that it comes from shipping the cars by rail. It affects cars shipped on the lower tier of a railcar near one of the train wheels. Small iron filings disloged from the rail/wheel land on the car and then rust leaving the orange specks. We were told it wouldn't cause any harm to the clearcoat, and indeed after 4 years of ownership, it hasn't. Her's is also silver so maybe those with darker colors don't even notice it.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    When I looked up citibank drivers edge on the web, it said that the rebate was only 1% toward any car. By any chance gee35coupe do you have a link that gives 2%?

Thanks
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Citi Driver's Edge Platinum Select Card-Charter Rbts

I've had it for over 10 years now. Use it for EVERYTHING outside of online stuff. Groceries, gas, you name it. Maybe it's special or somthing. But it pays 2%.
    Our 2000 Silverado had rail dust. Wish that was the only thing wrong with that thing.
    Reading that list of "problems" is making me think I ought to just dump my beloved 99 EX V-6 Coupe!

I hope it starts later so I can get to work!

But, let's see....

Yeah, my clock light bulb did burn out once...what a horrible problem that was! One of the techs popped it out and replaced the 50 cent bulb. Took him maybe five minutes.

And, yes, my sunroof does squeak. About twice a year, I have to open it up and wipe the seals with silicone to stop this. It's due now.

And, darn it...I keep forgetting...the paint on one of my mufflers has, indeed peeled a bit.

Need to get that heat resistant Krylon flat black and give it a shot.

Maybe I've just been blessed..?
    isellhondas: I have been blessed as well. My 99 Accord had a slight moonroof squeak which only happened with the shade open on the frequent occasions where I even heard it, never needed tires or brakes in the 40,000 miles I owned it, and it always started. My 01 EX V6 coupe always started, never had a transmission problem, and yet again it had a slight moonroof squeak in certain temps with the shade open. My 03 Accord coupe has no rattles, always starts, and has no popping noises. Heck even my Accords which were purchased at 10 years old with over 100,000 miles have been problem-free. Do I have good luck or what?
    According to some of the hand wringers here, we have been very, very lucky!
This discussion has been closed.