Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H2

megasuvownermegasuvowner Member Posts: 64
Wondering what you all think of GM's first truck since aquiring the company from AM General. I heard the H2 will ride on the YUKON/TAHOE platform, is this true? Also what you all think of the $50k price tag which comes with unproven reliability and safe-to-say bad gas milage, might be wrong but its early and havent heard much yet. Now that the dot-coms and get rich quick kids are fading, will there be a strong market like they said. GM says it will appeal to young buyers in particular, but do some of you old timers like em too? Here's the place to speak out on the new Hummer H2.

p.s. has anyone seen a concept car in another color besides the yellow-one? I know the yellow looks cool but ive seen the same one at a few auto shows around the country and in all the magazines and its getting kinda old fast.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Chicago Tribune Jim Mateja Column

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    ANY NEW NEWS ON 2002 HUMMER H2
    At least in Aspen (and they're likely the H1's).

Steve
    Host

• ver2us1ver2us1 Member Posts: 36
    I'm not an expert on Hummers but I work in the town they are made in so see frequent newspaper articles. Yes, the H2 is being built off the Tahoe/Yukon platform including some parts from the full size Chevrolet Silverado pickup. It will be selling for $50,000-$60,000. There is also a H2 SUV/truck that should be added to the line up in '03. GM is also working on a H3 (possibly for the '04 model year) which will be smaller than the H2 and priced around $25,000.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    Too bad this thing will be priced at $50 plus. Seems to me that mid to high $30's would be more realistic considering that SUV's in general are losing some of the prestige, allure, or whatever. A good small block V-8 with half way decent gas mileage,, off road capability, utiltarian look (but not too much of a climb to get in) and a price that yup's whose stock options didn't quite pan out, would give GM a winner. They could pull away people interested in an Xterra, a jeep, and just about all those other bland $30 plus SUV's out there.
  • emaildaffyemaildaffy Member Posts: 1
    The H3 will most likely get to compete Xterra and jeep people. We are talking about a large four wheel drive vehicle not a small one. I currently drive a Yukon XL 4x4 and it snickered for 42,000+.
    I ordered my H2 in April 2001 or better yet am #5 on the list for first incoming units. I have been told that the first units produced will be fully optioned as was the first Yukon XL's when they came out. There are 3 colors to be built so far and they are Summit White, Competition Yellow, and Onyx Black. They cannot tell me about interior colors as of yet. I have number 5 off the truck regardless of color I have no choice in this. I have also been told that they are relatively the size of the Tahoe / Yukon but the frame is either going to be beefed up or based more off of the 2500HD pick-up. The H1 is a novelty and not used to it's full potential by most owners. The H2 will still have in the shadow of big brother a certain image and prowess to uphold. I can speak from personal experience that I could care less about gas mileage and most suv drivers like the space inside and the presence of those around us. I do not have all the answers but am updated when my dealer gets the information. I am looking forward to getting my H2 as I like to stand out since I am in sales. I can be E-Mailed at AshtonWoodsHomes@Hotmail.com.
    Have a great day!!!
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHEN THE H3 WIIL COME OUT
  • yotarulz1yotarulz1 Member Posts: 3
    I mean didn't any of you guys read the Four Wheeler magazine's article about the Ultimate 4x4. The Hummer competed with the Land Rover Discovery, Jeep, and Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma won, guys. This thing costs one fifth of what a Hummer costs and stomped the thing. Granted the Hummer is pretty awesome or at least I thought it was, it is not all that. Slow as crap for sure. Seriously what is the appeal of this beast after such news. Even the H2 I just heard about is still $50k+. I know it can't be any tougher than the original. Obviously I am a Tacoma owner and you guys can rest assured that the best truck won. Please respond, I'd like to know your sentiments about such pitiful news for this supposedly "go anywhere" vehicle.
  • cortneyscortneys Member Posts: 4
    The true Hummer owner cares only about having the elite car, the "beast" for all intensive purposes. I own a 1999 Hummer Wagon, and yes it is huge compared to the casual foot print of the Suburban or TACOMA for that matter. I have a touching story, cause my Hummer saved my life.. It happened about 3 months ago during a really bad storm near St. Louis, Flooding etc, etc. Nothing new for St. louis I assure you. I was on the highway and had to slow down really quickly for traffic, well the semi-tractor trailer behind me didn't stop. I had installed Racing Type belts the week before to take on a HUMMER driving trip at National Headquarters and then a trip through the Rockies. Any way, I was sitting still maybe inching forward and the truck hit me at and estimated 60+ mph. And launched me and my HUMMER into the median about 100 feet down the road through the mud and guck.. I was "OUT" and came too as someone asked how I was able to get out of the way of the Truck. The Semi was a wreck, and the back of my truck was barely dented in. His truck took all the pounding and the fiberglass shattered around the hummer. More than one person said that being in any other car would've either killed me or paralyzed me. The Hummer was in the shop for two weeks getting the rear fixed and the painting redone, but atleast I made it out alive. You can ask me about my wreck in the TOYOTA 4Runner another time.
  • cortneyscortneys Member Posts: 4
    I was hit from behind while in College, I had a 1987 $ Runner, with the removable top. Some drunk guy hits me from behind and sends the fibergalss top across the front of the truck. In the process the jack and 4 way fly through the front windshield and onto the hood. I was sitting at a light and "BANG", next ting I know I am in a Ambulance being rushed to the nearby hospital with a sliver of fiberglass hanging out of the side of my neck. You know how insulation feels on your arm, imagine that same itching but inside your skin on your neck.. Toyota claimed that they had never seen or heard of the removable top coming off during and accident.. But mine proved it capable, MAYBE that is why they are not removable anymore, or maybe it was the lawsuit from FORD for infringement, because the old Bronco did the same thing????
    Hummer Slide Is Blamed on Realignment of GM Dealerships

Steve
    Host

GM Blazes a New Trail with Its Marketing Strategy for Upscale Hummer

Steve
    Host

• commatoze1commatoze1 Member Posts: 2
    I came into work today to see an H2 in a parking space of my employer, a large MA based OEM sound system supplier. White, no badges, MI tags, nice! It has a light olive interior. Seats are leather with a contrasting cloth center insert. The body is a little rough in places, especially around the tail area. Some spot welds are clearly visible. There is a pink sticker on the front windshield that says "Milford Proving Grounds", and #7 sticker on the back hatch. I haven't gotten to sit in it yet, but it appears to have a fully finished interior. It's also now out of sight in a protected parking area with the rest of the test vehicles. I want one! Apparently it was transported in or literally driven in over-night from MI to EQ the sound system that is going to be supplied in the production vehicle. Depending on how the interior is configured, leather or cloth, a different amplifier is used for that particular interior configuration. It's at our engineering facility for this process so we can begin to build the properly configured production units. I forgot to mention that this H2 also has a sunroof with a pull shade. I haven't had an opportunity to pop the hood yet. I was out this afternoon looking at it closer, and there is one thing I don't like on it. The aluminum wheels have a center cap that has a fake inflator assembly moulded into it. To make matters worse, the valve stem was on the opposite side of the direction the bar exited. Reminiscent of the late 80's Thunderbird with rear disks, and aluminum wheels with ribbed centers to simulate drums! Other than that, this thing kicks butt!
  • kendall69kendall69 Member Posts: 13
    "The Tacoma won, guys. " Ya thats why everytime there is a bad snow storm or flood they bring in all the Tacoma's. I also noticed all the Tacomas in Somalia, Kuwait, and Askanistan. Ya we believe Four Wheeler magazine, I bet it has NOTHING to do with the money they spend on ads does it?
    Cmon get serious.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    This is an interesting and expensive, possibly overpriced, vehicle. Which has me wondering: does the luxury tax expire at the end of calendar year 2002, or with the beginning of model year 2003?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Has a preview of the H2 that's currently on its front page, plus decent pictures. Check it out quickly though because they change the story (same web addy, different story) every other 2 weeks I believe.
  • linux007linux007 Member Posts: 9
    Hello guys. I used to be so in love with the hummer until now. I don't see how they could take a rough tough truck and turn it into a GM copy cat. Yes the design may be brushed over a bit. But the under parts are mixed up GM truck parts (www.cars.com). THis truck may run on gas, but it then looses the amazing low end grunt. If you read the article on the H2 vs H1 in cars.com you will see. Not to get on any bodys bad side, but did you notice that the H2 is really only about 10 grand less than the startinbg point o fthe H1. NOt that you will find anything but a used one now for less than 60k. But still. Ths price of the H2 loaded I bet is surly going to reach far beyond 60k, and doesnt have any of the redeming fetures of the H1.
    You loose only about 2 in all around, and more in terms of river crossings and groud clearence, and all you gain is just a bit more interior space. The point of the hummer is to have the best. but this new thing...isn't really that now is it?
  • gasguzzler007gasguzzler007 Member Posts: 70
    I recently went to a local autoshow and saw the Hummer H2. What a piece of garbage. It really looks like lots of plastic molded into an Aztec design. I like the Hummer H1 because it was a real hummer. Mean looking and handled excellent offroad. When I first heard about the H2 I was very interested. Its not common for a new hummer to come out. I looked around and was not very impressed. If I had to choose between the two the Hummer H1 would be my defenite choice. Only problem is the interior is not exactly made for a 6'3 220 pound person. As I sat in the H1 I could feel the tight space. I then walked around and sat in the rear. I couldnt even fit. As I squezzed myself out I needed to grab the door handle from the outside just so that I could get out. I will always love the hummer but Its not something that I would be able to drive eveyday.
    2003 Hummer H2

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    The Hummer Driving Academy

Steve
    Host
    I keep posting links, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in the H2 around here.

Steve
    Host
  • ktowheelsktowheels Member Posts: 31
    I have been following this board for a couple of months and I am really surprised at the total lack of interest in the H2. I consider it a great alternative to Escalade, Navigator or any of the other higher end SUVs.
    www.lynchhummer.com has some really good info on it. Right now I own a tahoe and consider this a good alternative to the Z71.
    Any comments?
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    If you really like it you should go to www.hummerh2.net.
    Just curious if any one has taken a spin in one?
    Your on the h2ml. Its not out until this summer, so only gm guys and car magazines, etc have driven it. Arnolds pretty big, he fits so you should be fine.
    I'm taller than Arnold; not as muscular though. The SUT that Arnold drove around in is a really sweet mobile. I got word that they are considering putting in DVD navigation on the H2; any one else know anything to further substantiate that?
    As far as head room goes; GM seems to design their trucks for Texans; Cowboy hats included!
    Has anyone out there actually had the chance to test drive the H2 yet?
    Only amg, gm, car magazines, etc have test driven the Preproduction version. Its not out yet. If you're looking for offroad tests, check back in a month or so. GM is going to let some hummer club members and a dealer take the latest version offroad and let them do anything they want.
    I realize that only a very select few have been able to test drive the preproduction version of the H2; I was kind of hoping that at least one of them might browse through this board and just maybe, maybe that person could give us a little taste as to how things looked so far.
    I know it was a long shot, but they have been way too slow and tight lipped with this SUV.
    BTW- have you seen the article on rockcrawler.com ?
    Nope. Where, I don't see it.
    Thanks. Schawrzenegger.com has a clip of him
    driving the sut, it might show him getting out, i have dial up so didn't download it. Edmunds has 115 character limit so can't post direct link. Bob probably sat in one in IN, so you can ask him how it felt. Or you can go to paragon, I think thats the event, and test drive one off road.
  • jrosoffjrosoff Member Posts: 10
    It is interesting to read the posts of H1 owners, bashing the H2. I had a 95 wagon back about 6 years ago. It was the baddest "truck" around! However, being in south Florida, I did not take advantage of its true capabilities and it was not meant for a daily driver. The reasons are obvious and do not need to be pointed out. But the H2! This thing screams Hummer. And from what I have read, will be a capable off roader and still be refined enough to be more than a capable on roader. Perfect.

I have my reserved spot on my local dealer's list and am driving my wife crazy with my excitement. Is it July yet?
    I couldn't agree more. H1 owners have the most capable off road vehicle out there. With this said, I would never want one because most of my driving in in the city and that is one of the most uncomfortable things 100k can buy. The H2 is Hummer's way of taking all of the complaints about Hummer's not being practical and smashing the rest of the competition. I think that this is far and away the best SUV out there for the overall use that 99.9% of prospective buyers are going to use an SUV for.
    Just wish they'd hurry it up and get some out there for us to test drive. :)
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    H2 has a 44 foot turning radius and it is wider than your average pickup, so no compact car parking, limited parallel parking, maybe trouble with some covered parking overhead clearance. All this and it has 6 fewer cubic feet of cargo space than an Isuzu Trooper which is 9 inches narrower turns in 38 feet and is 2500 lb. lighter than the HummerH2, plus you can buy two or three Troopers for the cost of one H2.
    as a matter of fact have five. I will admit, I would not want an H2 in NYC for example, but in south FL this thing will kick @ss. (Well hopefully it will, as I have yet to drive it never mind sit in it).

Do you guys believe the hype about selling 10-15K over invoice as soon as it comes out? I am locked into MSRP and might just consider selling mine if this rumor turns true. Wait a couple of months and get one under MSRP - seems like a good deal to me.
    To even compare a trooper with the H2 is missing the point. Soccer mom vehicles should not be part of the real SUV world. I doubt that a Trooper could complete the Rubicon as the H2 has. If you need to carry cargo with the H2; put it on top or tow it; or take the secondary vehicle in your house.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    they are??? Hmmmmm, not to my knowledge, but then again I've run my Trooper on trails that Humvees can't access because of their track width. Humvees are the modern day ‘look-at-me’ cars. If you have to put down a Trooper, I just have to ask you if you have ever been off-road and how insecure are you. Have you ever been off-road? How insecure are you? Humvees come in good stock condition for tackling the off-road trails, but they do have their drawbacks. When one looks at the price and could easily spend half of the price of an H2 on buying a reliable vehicle, upgrade it with a lift, tires, and lockers for an even more capable vehicle than an H2, it just doesn’t seem very smart. The H2 is definitely designed towards the ‘look-at-me’ crowd’. ‘nuf said.
    I am sure the Trooper is great for what you use it for and what you paid for it, but should not be compared to a beast like the Hummer.

Hummer owners might like the attention their "beasts" earn them, but insecure? Come on!
    You must be kidding. It is always interesting to me that the "have-nots" always call those who "have" insecure. Lets be honest, if you had the means would you get a Trooper or a Hummer? A mustang or a 911? Lets drop the insecure thing right now, otherwise you are going to have a few more boards to hit (Porsche owners, Ferrari owners, Lambo owners, Bentley owners, etc.)

The only emotion on this board might be a hint of jealousy from such trooper owners. There is no reason to be, just go out and get an H2 of your own. If it comes out, on target, at $50K, its only $14K more than your isuzu. Further, you will not need to add a single mod to it. Climb on the Hummer band wagon, we assure you, you will not be disappointed.
    I fully support the Hummer and the H2. The original was definitely a fully capable vehicle with 16 inches of clearance and dual torsen diffs. It was awesome off-road, except for the dang width. Width is a problem where I go, so no, I won't be buying one. The H2 only has 9 inches of clearance at the diffs, and no front LSD or locker, as I understand it. Sure, the rear has a locker, but what about the front. Crawl ratio of only 33??? Troopers come with a crawl ratio of about 30 and aftermarket can be had to bump that up 50%. Not much of a difference, and I won't be considering the H2 as a super-off-road vehicle any time soon, at least not in stock form.

'The only emotion on this board might be a hint of jealousy from such trooper owners.'

Yes I love the original Hummer, but the H2, no. Is it worth 50k??? Will it even be selling at that price, or will dealers mark it up??? It's not worth it in this Trooper owners opinion. I can easily add dual lockers, a 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inches of body lift, winches, and large tires to my Trooper and still be well under the price of an H2, with much more capability.

When H2 supporters must make false claims of "Troopers are hunks of junk", or poor attempts of name calling like "Joe Isuzu" it just shows an insecurity flaw in those personalities. I just call them as I see them. I fully support driving what you want, whether you use it's capabilities or not, but when you have to resort to false claims and name calling, it just shows insecurity.

"Lets be honest, if you had the means would you get a Trooper or a Hummer?"

Trooper, definitely not an H2.

"A mustang or a 911?"

Camaro modified before a 911
    Yes, I have been off-roading. I owned a 4x4 Ford Exploder. Some of the day hikes I used to go on with my dad were day hikes only if you went off road to get there. As for insecure; sorry, I'm polar opposite of that.
    My brother owned a Trooper for three years and had more problems than I had with the Exploder; very hard to top Ford's incompetence!
    The main reason I dislike the Trooper is that it is a little light on the overall build quality. The engine is worthless for towing anything of substance as well as being very incapable of highway passing.
    I think that the H1 is impractical; too wide for Dallas. The H2 is more of what the original concept of an SUV should be.
    The Trooper isn't even a top ten in SUV capability.
    I'm sorry for your brother, but characterizing one make/model of vehicle by one experience is definitely not the way to determine whether a product is a hunk of junk or not. I know mine definitely isn’t, as I have had no troubles with it after 7 years and 85,000 miles. Are you sure they are a little light on the overall build quality??? Have you seen Paisan's, another Trooper owner, website? He has his Trooper very well airborne in a video there, and his is holding up very well. Not too many owners would agree with your assessment. Then again what do owners know? They only drive the vehicle.

top ten in SUV capability??? by what standard?

Unimog
    Mercedes
    Land Rover

Why don't the Europeans use Humvees??? Why do they go about using unimogs and mercedes and land rovers? I highly doubt that the H1 makes the top ten in SUV capability either.

I have no problems passing on the highway, but since I don't tow, just climb from 2000 to 11000 feet, I wouldn’t know about your towing claim.

I'm glad you're a polar opposite of insecure. For a second there I thought I was reading unsubstantiated slander :-)
    You are right, the name calling is unnecessary. I have been to too many boards where that is all it has become.

Enjoy your Trooper, we will enjoy the H2 (hopefully soon).

Back to the H2:
    I have a contract with my local dealer stating I will be able to get the H2 at MSRP or below. I imagine the dealers are happy to lock up sales at MSRP two months before the actual H2 is released. I do however, believe that once released they will not be selling at $50K or whatever MSRP and buyers at that time will be paying a premium.

Do any of you think that the lawsuits that continue with Chrysler will delay the release? Further, do you think their argument holds enough water to pose an issue(the grill of the H2 looks to much like the Jeep products)?
    Troopers have an awesome reliability record compared with Ford or GM and especially Chrysler/Jeep.

Troopers called Jackaroo in Austrailia win almost all of the off road races, especially the longer more difficult ones, and they do it at 140MPH!

My Trooper nicely tows 4000# regularily without need of added cooling or other gismos needed by most other SUVs. Sure, Trooper cannot compare to a H2 or Full Size GM for towing, but Trooper can tow a good amount and when you are not towing you can still do things like park in regular parking spots, accellerate faster than those heavy full size SUVs and Troopers are fun to drive, unlike a full size dually that must be like driving a delivery van.

Trooper has a much better power to weight ratio and smaller more efficient tires than H2 so it will be a lot more peppy to drive.

With its incedible 6700# weight I cannot imagine H2 will handle much better than a Dually pickup. Sure you can blast through the trails and widen them with all the weight and power, but if your H2 gets stuck your buddies with lighter SUVs will probably have a hard time to pull you out. So even though the H2 comes with some offroad ability its weight will require more self reliance to get unstuck, imagine trying to dig your H2 out with a shovel, how will you reach all the way under its width?

Best to leave the Hummers H1 and H2 to the radio stations and military.
    I am very sad that with 2002 being the last year for the Trooper that H2 is not more of a daily driver oriented vehicle. It should at least have the Duramax diesel so it can get 30% better MPG than the gasoline engine.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    I too would take a trooper over an H1 any day. The H1 is a monstrosity, in addition to being horribly unreliable and impractical. The H2 will likely be of GMs meager quality. My '01 Duramax pick-up is pure junk, worst excuse for a truck I have ever owned. Good to know the H2 will be built on the same chassis. The H2 will remain way to big for most trails. I also get a kick out of this Rubicon capable assertion. So how many of the by-passes did they take, how about all of them. If they did it stock they would have to bypass the good stuff and likely airlift the carcass out, but just like the Jeep Liberty, it made it, yeah right bub.

If the dealers start getting 15k over a 50k sticker you would be WAY better off in the more capable Mercedes G500 for ~$73k. I will be doing Rubicon this summer in my G-wagen. The only mods I have done are a two inch spring lift and 33" tires. My truck comes with full lockers, super tough diffs and axles. Stuff no Hummer, H1 or H2, can dream of touching.

Speaking of Troopers and passing, don't they come with 210hp sixes? Does the H1 have 210hp, nope. An old trooper is a pretty solid machine, though for the best off-road performance it needs a solid front axle, another thing Hummer lack.

On the military front, the Mercedes G is now being used by both the Marines and Army Rangers. The best in our military apprear to have chosen the best, sorry Hummer fans your truck didn't make the cut.
    G-wagen

that's the real deal
    The H2 is size comparable to the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. I imagine that it did not do well on the narrow aspects of the Rubicon. I origanaly wanted the G and was excited at it "officially" coming to the states. I test drove my neighbor's G and loved it; until the Texas winds started blowing me all over the road. I will concede to the fact that if you want reliability; the H1 isn't exactly top choice. If I do decide to get the H2, it will not be until the six month bug fix is complete.
    SUV owners have got to be the most loyal and stubborn people when it comes to their vehicles. I love my Tahoe; but I'm always looking for that next upgrade. ;)
    You guys know anything about the new Range Rover? Another Ford disaster?
    Also, I hate jeeps, but I have to admit that if you really want to go off road; a supped up jeep is better than almost anything else out there.
    The G, Land Cruiser, Unimog, Rovers, others are being used by the military and others. But the most used vehicle is still the Humvee.

"Troopers called Jackaroo...they do it at 140MPH!" I bet they're not stock straight from the dealer troopers.

Don't think the suit will delay launch. DC wanted AMG to stop production until after a verdict is reached in the Dec. trail, but the court in IN decided a short while ago that AMG can continue to make them and sell them.