Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• redrxredrx Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the $2500 marketing support is included in the TMV Pricing Report, or can I subtract from it. I was considering CRV, Escape or Mazda5, but with $2500 off, the Oddy LX may become an option.
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Hi sami71290,

Sorry to hear that! Here's what you can do to report:
    (1) go to BBB to report this(by writing is better)
    (2) write to American Honda's VP, so that they can documented this, hopefully they'll do something and prevent ...
    (3) write a review on this particular dealership in edmunds

We got some bait and switch too before at other dealership, so we reported to American Honda by writing. Yesterday, we got a phone call from American Honda stated that they'd documented this issue.... We even rated that dealership (sales experiences) in edmunds.

Thanks!
  • rim936rim936 Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote for a 2009 EX-L (no RES or NAV) in the Chicagoland, IL area. Has anyone had any better luck?

Base (incl dest & after rebate) Price - $ 27,112
    ERT - 25
    Doc Fee - 151
    Sales Tax - (7.25%) $2,159
    County Tax - 15
    Lic and Title Fee - 80 transfer

OTD $29,542

Also trying to get accessories such as mud flaps, all season floor mates, and trailer hitch (not the package, just the hitch receiver). All the dealers quote the HondaUSA.com website price + installation (even on floor mats!) I know these are high margin items, any thoughts on typical discount dealers might give?

Trying to close a deal by end of the week.

Thanks
  • hondavan2hondavan2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm also looking for EXL model in Atlanta area. I am in Alpharetta.

Would you all like to go together to do a group buy?
    So far the quote I got is near 30K OTD w/o RN.
  • buyvan1buyvan1 Member Posts: 5
    I changed my mind to buy an EX. Purchased it from hondacarland over the weekend for 26,250 OTD over the weekend. (23.8K + 599 + 7% tax + 30 + 18 or so).

I took extended warranty from them 7 Yrs/ 75K miles for $1600 (zurich is the warranty company). Does any know about this. Debating whether it is value to take it or not or to take some where else. Dealer said: They offer only on the day of purchase, with an option of canceling with in two months.
  • fillykonkfillykonk Member Posts: 17
    We bought our 09 EX-L R&N from Rick Case back in February and not only didn't overpay but did $500 below the next best deal we could get from several other dealers.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Hi, I am also trying to buy the same EXL but the quote I got is for 31,000 in WA state. Could you pl. fwd me the quote: krushi at gmail dot com?

thanks in advance,
  • djmarshallgdjmarshallg Member Posts: 1
    Just finalized the deal and am on my way to pick it up. We have been looking for a while and my wife is thrilled.. I think we got a great deal overall.

$32,551 OTD

Thoughts?
    The extended warranty was expensive!
    I got mine from Ourisman Honda by price matching from web printout (B&W) for
    $0 deductible/8 years/120K miles for $1495

Since you already purchased the contract from dealership, www.bernadiwarranty.com ($1235 for $0 dedcutible/8 years/120K miles) will charge you $165 for cancelling the contract with dealership! I don't know if it's worth to do that!

Or, you could try the www.myhondawarranty.com (currently got lawsuits from American Honda).

Or, if your auto insurance is Geico, you can get the Mechanical Breakdown Program (7 years/ 100K miles/ $250 deductible) .

I don't think online purchase would be safe (afraid later in the future, American Honda won't honor any online purchase). Therefore, I go ahead and purchase from dealership instead ($260 extra).

Good Luck!
  • thetruth1thetruth1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2009 EX-L. Price was $29,745 OTD (everything). No trade in. No financing. Checked around a lot. Felt this was about the best I could do in this area.

The dealership is professional and low key. This is the 2nd Ody I've purchased from them. In and out in 1 hour. Everything was as agreed to over the Internet and phone. Southeastern Honda in Palm Bay, FL.
  • HOdysyhunterHOdysyhunter Member Posts: 38
    Can you pl. fwd me the email quote or some kind of written info on this deal so that I can try my best . I am getting the quote for 31000 in Wa state (the tax here is 9.8%) to krushi at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance
  • pray4allpray4all Member Posts: 15
    online purchase is just fine as long as Honda has not disallowed it.

The contract is in effect after your purchase. and once in effect, no one knows if it's purchased from internet. (at the end, it's through some honda dealer, just as your local dealer purchase)

He should be fine to cancel his extended warranty (way 2 expensive) and then buy online..Don't think there should be extra charge...
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    Hey, I'm living in a suburb about 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh PA, and I'm hoping to get a new Odyssey EX, or a new Odyssey EX-L or EX-L with RES since so many people are getting such great deals. Can You tell me which dealer you got this quote from? I'm hoping to get out and check out some new vans this weekend! I don't mean to steal your car though
  • gopalangopalan Member Posts: 6
    congrats. It is worth buying extended warrenty with that price.
    I would ask whether it is transferable to other owners if yes then need to ask there are any fee.

Extended warrenty is bumber to bumber or for transmission and engine stuffs.
    Hi pray4all,

Just out of curiosity (no defends at all).
    How are you so sure for that?
    Are you an insider (one of Honda employees)?
    How do you know whether the dealerships or American Honda won't know if you're purchased from internet?
    :confuse:
    Hi rim936,

Check the eshop at dealers' website, then compared to honda.com accessories MSRP. Then quoted more dealers and told them you're going to buy a new Odyssey on..... with options you wanted. Tell them to give you the best offer (OTD with breakdown prices, including options you wanted). Printed out in B&W would be the best tools for you to deal with your dealership. So, be prepared to do so.

Also, you can go online to buy it(ex. ebay, amazon.com, or other websites). It's cheaper to do so if you're not in a hurry.
  • cheapcharliecheapcharlie Member Posts: 2
    Did your OTD price include RES, NAV or any extras?
  • mynuacctmynuacct Member Posts: 21
    Hi lyao,
    I read about the case that is going on between American Honda and Saccucci. It looks like that last year Honda announced a set of guidelines for Dealers which prohibits the sale of Honda Care on internet. Saccucci Honda (the dealership) sued them, since they have a major business of selling these warranties from the internet . http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090129/ANA05/901299967&noca- che=1 has the last legal info on this matter. The article states that -

Honda said it still will allow dealers to sell the contracts online.

"We're not taking any action until the suit is resolved," said Honda spokesman Chris Martin. "We don't want to confuse the dealers."

which is consistent with the fact that all the waranty selling sites are still active. The sites that are selling them are Honda dealers, once Honda decides to enforce the rule after winning the case. These dealers will have to shut down these sites or risk loosing their Honda franchise contracts.

So, I don't see how Honda can not treat the current purchasers of Honda Care from these dealerships on par with others.

Moreover, if you are paranoid about not buying online you can still phone the dealers up and buy it over the phone. Since, there is no rule (made by american honda) which states that you have to buy the warranty from the same dealer from whom you bought the car. If they make any changes in the future in this regard, they can not enforce it retroactively to older warranties.
    Hi mynuacct,

Thanks for the info. Personally, I felt like $260 had flown away! :cry:
    My hub and I spoke last night whether or not should we backup the contract with local dealership for that extended warranty (for saving of $260). The decision: we decide to keep the contract ($260 is not a big deal to us) with the local dealership though!

Btw, the Navi is great! We love it! Especially the voice command (can be very complicated, we still haven't have time to look at the menu), amazingly the navi could still catch what we're saying (since we're Asian, got strong accent)!
    The backup camera is a plus!

Thanks!
  • thetruth1thetruth1 Member Posts: 4
    Here are the details that matter on my deal.
    First, since some dealers talk about "dealer fees" or "service fees" or whatever they want to call it, I just told them that this is my offer and it had to include whatever fees they like to add. So they could write up and structure any way they wanted to, but my offer was the botom line (sans taxes/title/tag).

Second, in Florida there is a couple of very minor state fees that amounts to about $20.

Third, beyond the basic vehicle price, and these $20 worth of state garbage fees, we pay 6% sales tax and title/tag which varies according to the overall price of the vehicle and whether or not one is getting a new tag or transferring the tag from a vehicle that is being replaced by the new one.

With that in mind, the offer they accepted for my EX-L was $27,940. The car was NOT in stock, they had to do a dealer trade to get the color my wife wanted.
    Anybody knows whether the end of the month will be better for negotiating the price? I got the EXL price down some but wonder whether I should wait till the end of the month...Thanks!!
    As far as I know, it's a pretty decent price for now. Also, it's in limited stocks now since Honda is no longer making 2009 models (waiting for 2010 models to come out in fall 2009). Since you're not buying the one with Navi/DVD, you could possibly wait. Chances are: the price may not go down b/c highly demands (EXL are the best and the most popular models for 2009). Maybe you could get some best deals in GA (depends on the economy).

In Northern VA, it's difficult to get the price down. The housing market here is great! I even heard people is willing to bid up the price for a house here (Townhouses sold out here in Ashburn or South Riding, Loudoun County of VA).
    Good Luck! ;)
  • pray4allpray4all Member Posts: 15
    Exactly, internet sales is just to use internet as marketing method. even if Honda ban internet marketing, you still can call those dealer to negotiate the price and buy from them.

those contract is valid same way as your local dealer contract.
    Hi mynuacct,

Guess what? We're changing our minds now for the $0 deductible/8 years/120K miles extended warranty. $260 is a huge amount of $$$ ($1495 - $1235 = $260). So, we just spoke with our local dealership and Saccucci Honda (as long as you're not the residents of CA or FL). There's no extra charges or penalties or so. So, we'll save that $$$ for other options like all weather floor mats, or so. The dealership said the monthly payment would still be the same though (no deduct since they already mailed out the forms to American Honda). The only differences would be the loan amount that we financed. So, that's mean ---> if paid by 36 months, then you could possibly pay less on your last 36th monthly payment.

Sounds great! :D
    Thanks a lot!
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    The Honda Care warranty is entered into the Honda computer system whether or not you buy it at the time of purchase or online or over the phone from another Honda dealer. I verified this when I went to a local dealer, not the online dealer where I purchased my Honda Care, for service and asked him to check to see if my Honda Care was in effect, it was.

You can buy almost any extended warranty up until the factory warranty expires and some even after. Be careful of third party warranties as they might ONLY be honored at the selling dealer. There are also financial concerns as these private companies have been known to go belly up and leave the policy holders with an expensive but worthless piece of paper the dealer is under no obligation to honor. Buying a manufacturer's extended warranty is the safest bet because Honda is not about to got out of business. Even with GM and Chrysler the government will back the warranty but not so with Joe Blow Warranty Company.

The dealer's price and the online dealer's prices can have a huge difference for the exact same product.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    You have to get the Honda Care Extended Warranty within the first 6,000 miles.
  • erntrisherntrish Member Posts: 4
    Just signed contract with Freehold Honda in NJ for '09 EX-L with RES and NAV. Was quoted 29,825 (before dest, TTL, fees) by internet dept.

Had 6PM appt, but was kept waiting until 6:20 before I met a salesperson. Once I did, though, process was acceptable. Took a decent test drive (both my wife and I) and was pleased with both the vehicle and the salesperson- who literally dropped his jaw when he heard the price the internet dept quoted. When it came to deal time, they honored the price, and only dinged me a bit on my trade. No high-pressure tactics at all...just a professional, easy-going but well-informed presentation of the vehicle and its features. My only real complaint was the 3hrs they kept us there unnecessarily- which was likely not entirely on purpose (used car appraiser was running around crazy from car to car, etc.).

Details:
    '09 ODY EX-L, RES, NAV (Slate Green- which does not look at all like green, btw)
    Price (Incl dest) 30,475
    Doc Fee: 195
    Tax, Title: 2,458
    TOTAL OTD 33,128

Qualified for honda's 3.9%/60 mos financing. With my net from trade at 3,588, my monthly pmt will be 543.56.

FYI, excluding mine, there are only 2 RES/NAV equipped EX-Ls remaining in stock...1 in Gray and 1 in silver.
  • tradepartradepar Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

I am planning to buy an EXL with RES. I like to have blutooth capability so I can use my blutooth enabled phone to make calls. Do I have to get NAV to get bluetooth?

Is ther an option to get blutooth capability without NAV?

Thanks
    You must have the NAV unit to get bluetooth as bluetooth operates through the NAV system. I know of no option otherwise although someone else may be.
  • cshondacshonda Member Posts: 12
    you either work for Rick Case and are BSing or it was a full moon that night. I've been to rick case 4 times in person over the past 8 years and they were always much higher than everyone else on the car I was getting quotes for, but they promised some special waranty. They could never beat my quotes from other dealers.
  • sk2009sk2009 Member Posts: 8
    Hey rim936,

Can you send me the dealers email address. I am looking for EX-L with RES. If possible can you forward the quote. my email address is 'shdeals@gmail.com'.

Thanks in advance.
  • slodysseyslodyssey Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for my first Odyssey and have this forum very helpful. My question is, does anyone know if Honda has ever offered 0% on the Odyssey? If so, what do you think the chances are that they offer it again anytime soon? I know the current offers run until the beginning of July (right now at 3.9% for 60 months), so I'm hoping they go lower then.
  • tonyl1tonyl1 Member Posts: 53
    There is a honda aftermarket version which replaces the child mirror. There are also Parrot versions.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyelec05.html

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

:shades:
  • tpavantpavan Member Posts: 12
    Hi cshonda

I leave in tampa area. So it will be helpful to know the specific dealer you reached out for your deal.

Thanks.
  • buyvan1buyvan1 Member Posts: 5
    All,

Thank you very much for valuable information on the extended warranty. I called the dealer, he asked me to fax the intent to cancel and he would cancel it.

I also called Honda customer support and they did confirm that Honda care is their warranty program, which dealers are authorized to sell.

Thanks.
    First of all, I find it very offensive that you would accuse me of these things. FYI, I am a Baptist minister. My related experience was as honest as they come. Granted, each person can have different experiences and why yours have been negative I don't know. All I can tell you is that I was treated well and given the best deal of several in the area.
  • ifly3difly3d Member Posts: 4
    Got a quote for $29,900 on a black touring, all the amenities, 12k miles. It has a Stolen/Recovered (non-salvaged) title from CA, buying from used car lot. Price seems good, but am I better off going for an 09 EX-L with RES/NAV, NEW?

TIA!
  • rim936rim936 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have experience on the best price on getting a Honda hitch receiver and wiring harness (no PS or AT cooler) included on a '09 EX-L purchase?
  • oneputzoneputz Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

What should I expect to pay to have a dealer install a DVD player (with 2 headphones) in a new 2009 EX-L? Does anybody know what the dealer cost is for this equipment?

Thanks,
    Greg Putvin
  • oneputzoneputz Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

When I asked the dealer about putting one on my Mazda, he told me to go to U-Hall. He told me that's where their dealership sends their cars to have hitches installed.
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    Well, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would just get the 09 EX-L RES and NAV. If the car already has a stolen report on it, and has already been stolen once, then there's a high chance of it getting stolen again. ;)
  • ineedaminivanineedaminivan Member Posts: 2
    milwaukeevan,

No tips. They won't budge much from the internet quote price. I got a better price from Boyland but I didn't want to buy from them. ex-l price was 27,507 and i'm sure about the res. I recommend my salesman. Dave S. Tell him that Jim H sent you.
  • jeremyazjeremyaz Member Posts: 39
    The most aggressive deal that I found was from a S. Cal dealer where I got my EXL for $27,150 today! The best price in AZ was $28,000 but the doc fees in AZ are $399 and at this CA dealer they were only $55! I decided to ship the car, so I found a carrier for $250..but you can get a 1-day exemption which allows you to pay no CA tax if you drive the car home the same day and are taking it (if you live) out of state.

Also, they are running a special through Sunday which states they will beat any competitors quote by $500! They also matched the online prices for accessories (no added install costs--nice!) and matched the online warranty prices without any hassle. I added some accessories and the warranty as it was a no brainer, plus they were making my deal as a match of one they gave to someone else (but the other deal had a grand or two of addons) so I felt a little compelled to add some thru them (I would have added several myself anyway).

I'm assuming that the same ration of cost would apply to the EXL's with NAV and/or RES as well as the Touring.

They were professional and delivered exactly as we agreed. I took advantage of the 3.9% financing. In any case, if anyone is in Arizona or S. California and wants to get the best deal, please email me to jerfrance at yahoo dot com. It's a win/win situation!
    that's great. Now you can say - I saved a bunch of money by switching to Saccucci Honda. On that note, I did save a bunch of money ($1196 to $762 annual) recently by switching auto insurance from GEICO to Liberty mutual on our 2 cars and we had been with GEICO for 10 years.
    In my opinion 0% APR is an incentive, you can think of it as an extreme incentive to cut down the effective price (the price you pay over the loan period). A Manufacturer will do it in case they have excess inventories or competitive pressures. Honda is doing pretty well among other manufacturers in the auto segment in terms of competitive pressures. Manufacturing output has been downsized in the wake of last sep/nov. downturn. Unless, there is a significant economic downturn again (infact the opposite seems to be happening in the stock market) in the future. They won't be providing these incentives. In fact last quarter of last year was the time when all auto makers were caught flat footed. In my opinion the incentives they gave at that time ($3500 rebate and 0.9% apr) will not be repeated anytime soon.
    Some of the local big dealers (MD,DC,VA) had about 200 odyssies on the lot last year. The same one have in 70-80 right now. As I said this is my opinion FWIW.
    Wow mynuacct,

Do you mind to share your story for auto insurance? That's a lot of $$$ you're saving now. We've been with Geico for 10+ years now. Ours are not bad from Geico ---> 6 months cost $490 for 2 cars (the coverages are 2x regular). The coverages included roadside emergency assistance services for both cars (free towing to whereever we wanted in North America).

Btw, we still haven't switch to Saccucci Honda yet. Would like to confirm my local dealership (deducted the financed amount) before we do that. We'll stop by my local dealership for some options (Splash Guards, Cargo Net) installing this afternoon.

I did see a bit differences between the Online Honda Care and the Platinum Honda Care offer by my local dealership.

For online: Saccucci only allowed customers for a rental car reimbursement for up to 6 days when auto mechanical failure.
    For local dealership: Honda Care (Platinum Plan) allowed customers for a rental car reimbursement for up to 10 days instead.

I don't know much about mechanics, so I did not look indepth to those details and compared. This is what I can share so far.

Btw, did you negotiated with Geico before you switched to Liberty Mutual? Tell Geico you're about to switch to other company and have had been loyalty to them for 10 Yrs or so and see what they can do to keep you happy with them!

I did spoke to Geico before negotiated with much better rates and 2x regular coverages for my 2 autos plus....

Thanks!
    Is $27,150 before tax, doc. fees?
  • bbb74bbb74 Member Posts: 4
    I did a fair bit of research before buying an EX-L w/ RES this week. I can't say that I know the answer exactly, but based on the quotes and this forum it does seem that the roughly $1500 premium is a pretty hard number. Perhaps the demand is just higher on these vehicles and they are making a solid margin on the DVD., but by the time I bought and installed something after market I just decided the integration of the factory installed system was worth that premium.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Honda has never offered zero percent financing on anything and I seriously doubt if the ever will. If you hold out you amy miss the rates they are offering now.

All zero percent financing does is cheapen the product.
  • cshondacshonda Member Posts: 12
    That confirms it, you are Mr Rick Case himself -- the one and only. And you are holding back by saying you are a minister of god. Go ahead, just tell us the truth -- you are god. Also, tell us to buy a car from you since you have the largest inventory and the largest advertising expense, and therefore can offer the lowest price on cars.