Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fillykonkfillykonk Member Posts: 17
    Believe what you want to believe. Maybe you did better than Case during your various purchases and that's great if you did. All I can do is tell others my own experience. You can actually read about it on this website under the "car dealer" section. Sorry if your past experiences makes you a skeptic that good deals can be had there.
  • hondamommahondamomma Member Posts: 2
    Carsdirect has quoted me an OTD price of $30,425 for the 2009 EX-L in South Florida. Is that good or should I keep looking?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    FL has 6% sales tax ... with other miscl fees ... I think you can try to lower another 500 to counter-offer $29,925 for new EXL
  • hondamommahondamomma Member Posts: 2
    Bigdadi118,

Thanks for your response. The OTD price includes the taxes and fees. Should I still try to offer 500 less?
  • bmkbmk Member Posts: 2
    I did not go for any app pkg and I did have a trade in and it was tough to get a good my price(7K)! but finally I could able to get close to KBB value!. The rest of the quotes are not that gr8! If you still want I can fwd
    thx- bmk
  • lyaolyao Member Posts: 71
    Thanks bmk,

I don't think I need it anymore since I just bought the EXL DVD/Nav few days ago with no trade in OTD for ~$31880 (including wheel locks and all fees). I'm having a great time now with my family and this brand new cool Odyssey. Very satisfied!
    Thanks!
  • jeremyazjeremyaz Member Posts: 39
    $27,150 only includes the vehicle and destination charge. Tax, Title and misc fees were additional. They had additional incentives like free LoJack but I couldn't bring the vehicle back to get it installed so I waived it. My deal also included $500 towards the first months payment--but I'll only believe it when I see it.
  • mynuacctmynuacct Member Posts: 21
    I was looking to change my home insurance since it had gone up (without any claim on my part) significantly. Got in touch with a Liberty Mutual agent through netquote.com. She gave a good quote for home insurance and asked if I was interested in auto quote. I agreed to hear the quote not expecting it to be much less. But, I was shocked to hear it was $400 less than Geico even with more coverage. Geico said they couldn;t lower the rate. So, I switched both. If you want I can mail her contact info to you .
    This would be about $30k price + accesories + freight + proc fee + ttl which seems to be consistent with the quotes in MD I am getting.
  • sk2009sk2009 Member Posts: 8
    Could you please send me the dealer email.
    Thanks in advance.
  • sk2009sk2009 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking Honda Odyssey EX-L w/DVD in central illinois. what is the OTD price I should pay? Does any one got recent best deal.

Thanks in advance
    Sure! Give me your email and I'll send you the salesperson and direct contact phone #. But the price that I got is for VA residents. So, if you're not VA residents, then that's a different story.

The salesperson is straightforward, honesty, thoughtful, etc. I've never met such a sweet salesperson in my life. No games/ no gimmicks.

Thanks!
    Hi mynuacct,

I believe I did get a quote from Liberty Mutual before. Nothing they could do any better for my rates so far. Sure! I would like to contact her and see if she could help lower my home and auto insurance.
    lochinus@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
  • dalian88dalian88 Member Posts: 7
    The price you paid is very attractive. Can you give me the dealership name and sales man contact ? - Much thanks. I live in GA
    yes $29,925 OTD
    I live in Marietta. Can you tell me if the 30K inlcudes all the fees ? By the way, what does OTD mean ? -Thanks
  • decondecon Member Posts: 56
    Just purchased my first Honda!

I was going back and forth between EX, EX-L RES and EX-L RES/NAV. Finally went with the EX-L RES/NAV because I plan on keeping the car for 10 years!

$33K on the road (including destination $670, processing fee $100, tax and tags).

I have my own business so customer service, honesty, and professionalism are very important to me. Received top notch service. The price happened to be the best also which worked out great.

Highly recommend contacting Herson's Honda (Rockville, Maryland) internet department for the best quote. Then when you go to the dealership, ask for the salesperson with the desk immediately to your right when you first enter (he's been at the first desk the past 9 years for good reason). Tell him Ocean Mist sent you!

They really helped me get the color I wanted (Ocean Mist).
  • cjdalcjdal Member Posts: 9
    We're about to buy an Odyssey EX-L tomorrow. The lowest we've gotten to is $27,988 from the dealers both in Palo Alto and Fremont, CA. (bay area). Jeremyaz, I'd be interested to hear which So. Cal dealership you were dealing with. They seem real insistent here that the 27,988 is an amazing deal. (no DVD, no NAV)
    Hi dalian88,

The OTD price is for VA residents (only 3% taxes). So, if you're GA residents, then it'll definitely highly than that price. If interested, I could still forward you the price quotes, give me your email instead. Thanks!
  • cc8cc8 Member Posts: 8
    cjdal,

I've been dealing with the Palo Alto folks. I assume your $27,988 is without DVD and without NAV, right?
  • glmathewglmathew Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2009 Odyssey EX-L NAV+RES for just under $34K OTD (including dest+TTL) from an Austin dealership (RR Honda). Dealers had plenty of stock but I had a difficult time negotiating a good price.

The finance guy quoted me a "discount" price for a 6-year HondaCare EW for $1500+. I declined. Instead I searched and found a Honda dealership on the web selling a 8-year, 120K HondaCare EW for $1200. I bought it. Waiting on the paperwork to arrive via the post.

Thanks to all in this forum posting their purchasing experiences. I probably saved me hundreds (maybe thousands) of $s.
  • rileydogrileydog Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

I live in VA and I'm also looking at the EX-L w/ RES/NAV, could you email the quotes and the dealership info, including the salesperson to susanrisa at earthlink dot net. Thank you in advance, this forum is so helpful. I hope to have my new Odyssey this week. Congratulations on yours.
  • longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    Have you bought the EX? The lowest quote I got for EX from Buffalo and Rochester is $24700 before TTL. Looks like they only want to sell it as invoice-2500 incentive and keep all the holdback. This price seems a lot higher than what people paid for in other regions like Maryland, NJ, PA etc (below 24k before TTL)
    Hi rileydog,

I just emailed you the info. Please let me know after you got it. If not, you might need to check your junk mail. Thanks!

Good Luck! :P

Lorraine
  • newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    So we just got back from the local Honda Dealership (Washington PA), and we test drove both the Honda Pilot EX 4wd, and the Honda Odyssey EX. I personally like the Pilot, but my dad likes the Odyssey. Here's our pricing.

2009 Honda Odyssey EX

MSRP-$30,125
    Invoice-$27,525
    Price they are offering-$24,961

Tax (6%)-$1497.22
    Plate Fees-$201

=$26,659
    (Possible trade in 2000 Dodge Caravan) $2,475
    Total with Trade in for the Fair Condition/ Price for the Excellent Condition=$24,234/23,984
    Total with No Trade in =$26,659

2009 Honda Pilot EX 4wd.

MSRP-$32,765
    Invoice-$30,285
    Price they are offering-$28,347

Tax (6%)- $1702.44
    Plate Fees-$201
    =$30,250.44

(Possible Trade in 2000 Dodge Caravan)- about $2,475
    'Total Trade in for Fair Condition/ Price for Excellent Condition- $27,825/27,575
    Total with no trade in-$30,250

So my questions are

1) Do you think these are good deals, or can we do better? If they are, we are hoping to buy one of these next week.

2)Which do you think is the better deal and why?

3)Do you think that $ 2,625 is a fair price for a 2000 Dodge Caravan with about 78,000 miles in Excellent condition, or a $2,475 is a fair price for Fair condition? These are from Kelly Blue Book, not from the dealership, so they could be better. Do you think these prices are fair, or should we try to sell ourselves?

4) What do you think the 2000 Dodge Caravan is worth?

Thanks.

-Haha, today is my birthday too ;)
  • sush_sush_ Member Posts: 3
    We finally bought our EX-L w/ RES this morning. We made the deal about a week ago, but were just waiting for the dealer (Terry Lee Honda in Avon) to get the color of our choice in. Lucky for us, it was arriving on their next transport, so we didn't need to pay anything extra to locate the vehicle. Our final OTD price was $30747.92. This is a new dealer that opened up about 3 months ago. Sales person was a pleasure to work with.

Here's the breakdown :
    Base Price - $28,581
    Doc Fees - $150
    State Fees - $16.25
    7% IN Tax - $2000.67
    newyear.

I will take 2009 Honda Pilot EX 4wd rather than the Ody because I drove both.

I traded-in 07 Ody for 08 Pilot. The Pilot is quieter, feel more solid, 4WD and better ground clearance.
    I have driven both but I prefer odyssey. The odyssey's drive is much more car like in my opinion. Pilot drives like a truck. When I test drove a pilot, I did a quick lane change and back manuever (at about 60-65 mph on the highway) and it just started oscillating from left to right. If I had done it faster than that, it may have toppled. The sales guy got [non-permissible content removed] scared :D . In terms of looks Pilot is off course much better. But, I go more for substance over style.
    Hi,
    I just bought an EX-L with RES/DVD in MD for ~$33k OTD at Herson's Honda. I saw 2 other people buying odyssey right in front of me (atleast one of them was EX-L RES/DVD) and another couple who were looking at it. Overall, I spent about 3 hours at the dealer (thankfully not negotiating though, had agreed to the price on the internet). The first van we drove had very loose breaks and I felt vibrations in the steering when hitting the breaks hard. So, they had to get another one from their offsite storage facility. I would recommend Herson's. The sales agent was Rob Son.

I got quotes from lots of dealers. It seems MD dealers are atleast $1k less than most of the VA dealers. I had gotten quotes from about 18 dealers near the DC metro area. The lower quotes were from hersons, jimcoleman, sports, northwest, hagerstown, criswell and shockley. They were all within a few hundred bucks. So, people who are looking for this trim may concentrate on these dealers.
    thanks. my e-mail is dalian88@yahoo.com. Have a good weekend !
    Can you tell me the sales agent name at curyhoda ? my e-mail address is dalian88@yahoo.com.
  • ramanameramaname Member Posts: 7
    I live in Indianapolis and I am looking for EX-L with Nav and DVD RES. Do you have any idea how much would this cost near him.
    And also do you know how much it would cos for additional warranty in case you enquired about it.
    Thank you in advance.
  • chegpricechegprice Member Posts: 3
    I called Curry honda, spoke to their fleet mgr and tried to get the same deal. Their new offer is about $33k.
  • hondavan2hondavan2 Member Posts: 5
    We just bought EXL yesterday with 30,375 OTD including cross bars & backup sensors in Atlanta. All the other dealers said the dealer I got the quote from may increase the price when we get there or add more saying they don't have that color or they have some other options installed on the van. But it turns out to be perfectly smooth. No hidden fees, no extra charges. Just as salesperson promised. We are very satified with the turnout at Ed Voyles Honda. He is very patient and working hard to make this purchase happen.
  • sush_sush_ Member Posts: 3
    The "True Market Value" price that Edumuds.com displays seems very inaccurate. I found a better website - www.truecar.com that seemed to display more realistic pricing data. I learned a lot from reading posts in several forums and websites and I only concentrated on finding a suitable price for an EX-L /w RES (we already have a GPS device and didn't want to pay for a NAV). It seems the price I paid ($28581.00) was the very good price around Indy. I recall reading on this forum that some in other parts of the country even got a much sweeter deal... (congrats to them).

I primarily via email spoke to all of the Honda dealers in and around Indy (only visited a couple of them with my wife to compare colors) and only two of them (HondaWest and TerryLee) were really interested in trying to workout a deal with me. However, at the end of the day no one really came even close to TerryLee's pricing. I think this is mostly due to them being a brand new dealer and wanting to just move vehicles and earn a good reputation. I'll probably give them a year or so before they become unreasonable like Penske (who's lowest offer was close to twelve hundred dollars over what I actually paid).

Like all dealers, this one also tried to sell me the HondaCare warranty (I think it was ~$1800) and a few extras services, but I wasn't interested. I bought warranties with all of my previous American cars and they generally turned out be a good investment. However, that's the reason for buying a Honda - it's reliability. So I passed on the warranty.

If you're really interested in working out a deal, I don't think you'll find a better dealer at this point in time than TerryLee in Avon.

Wish you all the best in your search!
  • drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    Did this have the paint protection/window etching package?
  • freffref Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a 2009 Odyssey EX yesterday. Here's a breakdown of what we paid:

Vehicle Cost: $24,500
    Doc Fee: $395
    Tags, etc: $527.69
    Sales Tax: $2033.50

Total OTD: $27456.19

Price included window tint and dealer's "value package" (door edge guards, wheel well moldings, pinstripe, nitrogen, trunk tray, mudguards).

We had a trade, so our actual OTD was less due to sales tax savings. We added Honda Care warranty. Paid $100 more than internet pricing. If I get ambitious, I will cancel and re-buy to save the money. Dealer originally offered 3rd party warranty and said they only sell Honda Care if people ask for it. His original quote on the Honda Care warranty, before he know that I knew the internet pricing, was $1,400 more than what I paid.

Overall dealer experience was good - the kept to the price quoted. We were far apart on trade, but I got an acceptable price after some negotiating work.
  • john2009john2009 Member Posts: 5
    The best deal I've found around here is $24,800, which is invoice minus dealer incentive, but no incursion into the dealer holdback. This was from 3 different dealers via their internet managers (Costco price was a couple hundred more).

Anyone had more success than I have?
  • longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    so the quote you got this month is $1000 more than last month (according to your previous post #22554)?
  • ramanameramaname Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your reply. Your input helps me in talking to them. Monday morning I will coordinate with TerryLee, Avon and try my luck. I am planning to buy before this week end since many are running out of inventory on 2009 models.
    Once again Thank you.
  • 10128624631012862463 Member Posts: 3
    I also live in Phoenix and look for 09 Odyssey EXL-RES model.

Can I ask how much you paid for that Honda Care warranty? What's included?
    Your deal (difference to invoice price) sounded a lot better than the quote I got from local dealer in my area...
  • carbuyer0934carbuyer0934 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased an Odyssey EX in Grey today from Hillside Honda.

Costs as follows

$24,000 base
    $670 destination
    $200 pre inspection (It was $395 and although I tried to get rid of it all together, the sales guy managed to split it)

+ taxes ($2,145 since it is registered in Suffolk co) and DMV/registration fees ($250)

I'd never heard about the pre inspection charge, and strongly suspect it is a scam of some sort, but I'd had enough. I'd gotten better pricing but in less convenient locations.

Honda of Freehold quoted $23,161 -- which someone else had posted on this forum
    Tarrytown Honda $24,000 + $670 destination fees etc
    Bayridge Honda was slightly higher

Wanted to share this with anyone else who had been following the posts. Good luck!
  • new_beenew_bee Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

just get EX with no add on through internet for 24100
    Dealer located in Orange county, southern california
    the sales rep really nice and pleasant (I can def refer him)
    The Finance is open with the cost too

tks
  • hondavan2hondavan2 Member Posts: 5
    paint protection was included but I didn't ask for it when we made the purchase. Window etching, I don't think so.
  • oneputzoneputz Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I live in CA which has different sales tax rates. Can you please tell me the price of your EXL + RES before taxes, title, reg., and destination charges?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • jeremyazjeremyaz Member Posts: 39
    Email me to jerfrance at yahoo dot com I just went through this circus and also live in Phoenix AZ. Through lots of diligence and the work of several forums and people, I was able to save $2000+ than the comparable deals offered in Phoenix. I am happy to help as I found myself a little upset that everyone was able to find amazing deals except for us in Arizona.

This is my payback--if anyone else is in the Southwest or California, email me and I'll also get you the information that I gathered. I just received my 09 Odyssey EXL (no NAV/no RES) on Saturday and love it.
  • odybuyer_caodybuyer_ca Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2009 Honda Odyssey EX from Capitol Honda. Cost breakdown
    24128 (including destination)
    180 (wheel locks + mud guards, they were already on the vehicle, so I didn't bother having them removed)
    + tax (9.25%) + license.

This was the best quote I got from 6/7 that sent their quotes to me.
    Must also say that I almost made a deal at Dublin Honda - but had a terrible experience with them. In the end, I went elsewhere and got the color/model I wanted cheaper.

I was quoted over $2k for the Honda Warranty so I skipped it, plan to buy online. Any have experience buying over the internet and at what cost?

Overall, the internet sales rep was very patient, and very easy to work with. If any one is interested, ping me and I will give you the details.
  • ifly3difly3d Member Posts: 4
    MSRP 37,625
    My Price 31,774 + tax,lic,fees

Good price? Nearly $6k off MSRP.
    /edit spelling
  • cjdalcjdal Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to another user on this discussion board, we bought our Odyssey yesterday. We got a white, EXL (no RES no NAV--we'll do after market) for $26,094 which included destination. Taxes and fees were $1800 (we live in No. Cal and have the highest tax rate at 9.75%).

Dealer was Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, CA. Very happy with the transaction. Lowest price we could find in the bay area was $27,790 (or so) so we saved quite a bit of money.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews