Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hummer H2

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I wanted to go with an American made SUV next time I buy one. I always drive my Troopers at least 200K, so there is still time for a better product to be introduced.

I am certain that H2 is not the one for me, it is smaller than the Trooper in inside cargo space and can only hold seats for 6. My Trooper with an added 3rd row seat has room with certified seat belts for 8 if three of them are kids.

I hope Isuzu introduces an updated Astro/Safari medium sized van with 8 inches of clearance and rear locker and AWD and an inline diesel (narrow engine for foot room and easier maintenance from one side) with some hybrid assist for better fuel economy. It would not be an off road monster but with MPG in the mid to upper 20's and the ability to tow 4000# with the whole family aboard it would suit me. The Freightliner van is too panel vanish for me but it has the right idea, decent MPG lots of space inside and durabiltiy.
  • ktowheelsktowheels Member Posts: 31
    If you want american made and the space; you might want to check out the Suburban Z71. My wife and I thought it was a decent alternative if you have a family.
    After getting to see the H2 up close I wasn't as overwhelmed by the dimensions. The wheelbase is more suburban and the dimensions are more tahoe.
    The Vortec 6.0; while a powerful monster of an engine, gets typical SUV mileage 15mpg city and 20mpg highway.
  • v12powerv12power Member Posts: 174
    Isn't the H2 substantially wider than the Tahoe/Suburban? I think they added some boxed sections to the side of the frame to support the extra girth.

h1vc.... I don't follow your logic. The Hummer is the most used.....so the Ford Taurus is the most used rental car, in either case it says nothing about what the BEST vehicle is. We all know how well our government spends tax dollars. Just because they buy Hummers does not make them good vehicles. The Hummers best feature is a substantial payload, better than a G for sure. It does not mean they go more places. The articles written by military personel regarding the G in the service, have illustrated that for 90% of the needed tasks the G is better. It is certainly more durable.

That brings me to Jeep. Yes they can be built into formidable machines, sometimes even reliable ones. In doing so you lose all real road drivability.

The new Rover is pretty neat. It offers a spectacular V8 from BMW and a five speed auto, nice stuff. It is all independant suspension now though. They are shooting for the mall crowd. Though I have read it still does do well off the road.
  • thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    Some say that the Hummer is the most capable off road vehicle, no way, the Mogg rules.

I have a 406 and it is one inch shorter wheelbase than my Porsche, it has an extremely short turning radius, it weighs 9,000lbs and it can carry 9,000lbs in its bed, in fact it could carry a Hummer in its back, front and rear pto, front and rear hydraulic pto, air over hydraulic brakes, portal axles, 23 forward, 8 reverse, 6IL MB diesel, frame thickness 1/2 inch, an incredible 4,000 to 1 maximun reduction, with over 50 years in production definitely not a fly by nigth, in the following link you can see some Moggers having fun, some good videos, keep in mind that most of this Moggs are around 30 years old and all the mechanicals are standart, not like Jeeps or other brands that have after market axles, transmissions, engines etc, pure Mogg.

Enjoy

http://www.unimogvideo.com/

While the Mog may be the ultimate off-roader, it is far from a roadworthy transport. They are loud, slow and cramped, much more so than a Hummer. I think as we discuss the H2, we need to mainly consider trucks that can be driven daily. I think that is how potential buyers will look at it. I would also guess that as a whole, most H2 owners will not be doing a lot of hard core off-roading. The truck will be better than most off the shelf 4x4s. It will be a more practical daily driver than the H1. This is the focus, not conquering Rubicon.

IF the prices get jacked to the 60-65k range, buyers would be well advised to look at trucks like the new RR or MB G500. Both are far superior vehicles but, they are smaller inside. If the truck stays at ~$50k it is kind of in its own niche. More capable than an Escalade or Navigator with the rugged Hummer look. Still IMO a 50k Chevy truck is a bit of a joke. GM has no clue how to compete with the foriegners at this price. Look for cheap materials, weak build quality and huge profit margins.
    H1 & H2 probably will be owned by people who have another vehicle to drive daily. That makes the price of ownership effectively higher H1 or H2 + Civic.

Since GM owns Hummer and cotrols Isuzu.
    And
    Since Isuzu is retireing its top of the line Trooper.
    And
    Since Hummer is in need of a practical daily drive vehicle with good quality and easy to park.

Hummer H3 could be a rebadged Isuzu Troooper with a Hummer looking hood and grill. They could finally offer it with the 3L diesel to get 25/30 MPG city/hwy. It would have all the interior cargo space of the H2 and be a practical daily drive also. Hummer could also borrow some of the ideas from the "would have been" next Trooper prototype the GBX. The GBX could be made Hummer very easily.

Hummer would get a lot of Trooper owners to buy and a lot of people who try out the H1 and H2 might see the practicality of the H3 instead of having to go buy a Ford or Jeep. I could get an update to my Trooper that would be reguarded as an American car.

Thank You
    BoxTrooper

If anyone on this discusion has a way to send this idea to Hummer, it is a genuine really good idea that I think they should definately look into.
    First of all I know I am off topic with the Unimog but any topic just dedicated to the Mogg or Hummer dies for lack of readership, they are so rare and owners so few.

Having said that, I agree and dissagree with you about the Mogg being a crampy, slow and noisy vehicle, the old vehicles were certainly so but I like it, and all Moggers do, it is cozy and conveys adventure, maybe that is what sets the Unimog apart all other vehicles, it was designed strictly for off the road use, the limited hwy capability is just an extra bonus. Once you sit in a Mogg is like seating on a tractor, by instinct your mind wanders to the outdoor, the mind quickly searches for a spot with holes, mudd, dirt roads and the like, the hwy is of no interest, other than going into town and show off.

The Hummer surprinsingly as wide as it is, it barely has room for two in the front, seating a world apart.

The new Unimogs are driver friendly, meaning they are confortable as any other vehicle in its class and maybe more, althoug speed is not a forte, but it never will, too many gears and reduction.

A link to the new Unimog.

http://www.carradine.net/freightliner/u400.pdf

Boxtrooper,
    I like your idea about the H3. Current rumor on the H3 set for late 2003 release is that it will be smaller and more efficient; more than likely built on the trailblazer platform. I am kind of skeptical of that platform, but time will tell on how well AM General does with this project. While GM does have a heavy hand in the H2, this vehicle will have the same hummer build quality. (laugh it up) The main problem with Hummer's have never revolved around structure. They are double reinforced to be able to go over a land mine and keep the passengers alive and well. A guy I worked with in the telecom world a couple years back was in Desert Storm and said that the trany and engine could not take all the sand. They had to change personal so that a mechanic was in them or nearby at all times. I believe that the strong area of the H2 will come from the Vortec Engine and AM General overbuild.
    I never want to be in an accident, but I would rather be in a Hummer than a G or a RR. We can leave the Mog out of that comparison because if I could choose any vehicle to get through traffic it would be an M-1Abrahms. :)
    K
    You are seriously under estimating the build of the G, if you would rather crash a Hummer. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger though, nearly everybody under estimates the G! I have been underneath both the H1 and the G. The G is FAR better built. It uses heavier gauge steel, more and better bracing, it is no lightweight at over 5500lbs. Without hesitation I would take the G, rest assured that the company that invented crash testing made the Gwagen very stout.

I know Thor8, I have a warm spot for my Mog too! But I am 6'3" and the Mog is cramped. I agree that I wouldn't subject myself to an H1 cockpit, that is a terrible layout.

I disagree on the H2 being a second vehicle. I bet you are right on the H1, it is just too much for daily use. The H2 at $50k is far from exotic territory. I bet at least 75% of them will be daily drivers.
    After reading your profile I remember you, I was preaching to the choir.

I am 6,2 something (and starting to shrink) and I know what you mean, but look at the good side, with the long legs it is easier to climb into the Mogg.

Been reading the Mogg mail lately?
    Bernardo Westphal from Venezuela wrote, you get your wife used to the diesel smell and fumes in your Mogg by adding diesel fuel to your after shave, increase the dose dayly until desired effect is achieved.

Can't remember name wrote, Paste your picture in the front of your Mogg and park facing front door, with time wife will like your Mogg because she will conect the two of you, needless to say if wife don't like you scheme will backfire.

Another one, Buy Mogg before you get married in that way precedent will be set, Mogg things after that will be less difficult.

Have a good one,

P.S. Remember the differential lock? To change the seal it is not nescesary to split the axle, dismantle king pin and pull axle.
    I seriously doubt that the H2 is playing in the same market as the H1. The market segment that GM is trying to steal is the Navigator, Escalade market. They also may pick up some of the foreign Lux Suv people who simply are not willing to pay that extra 10-20k.
    I know I plan on the H2 being MY primary transportation. If we go on family trips, my wife's Acura MDX will be the SUV of choice.
    GM is banking on the machismo of some people to push them into "bumping them up" to the H2 instead of some other Luxury SUV. After all, if Arnold has one...... :))
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    There are more Humvees than others because they are good vehicles, the Army has renewed their contract with AMG many times, if Gs or others were so much better they would be switching over to them or at least buying less Humvees and more of them.

The mog can do things a Humvee can't, but it is also in a different class than the Humvee.

I would rather crash a Hummer. Not sure about the G but a Humvee can be air dropped, that requires a very though frame, one that will protect you in a crash.
    They ARE buying more Gs and fewer Hummers. They did not get heavily into the G previously because it was a foreign car. Now with the Daimler-Chrysler merger the stage is set. The primo divisions already prefer the G, watch for many more to follow. They renewed with AMGeneral because there was no other option before. Yes, the G can be dropped from the sky as well. Once again you under estimate this vehicle. It has been serving militaries around the world since 1979.

How do you figure the Hummvee and Mog are so different? The Mog is just a 2 ton truck, not much more capacity than a Hummvee. They are actually pretty comparable, except of course, the Mog is better at its job.

I know you don't want to hear this but, IMO the Hummvee was a snafu from day one. The GM diesel is a total joke, one of the worst diesel engines ever. The Hummvee itself has NOT held up to expectations. They are having to cycle them more often than planned. The G on the other hand routinely exceeds its specs. This is really supposed to be about the H2 which is completely unrelated to the H1. To me the H2 makes infinately more sense even though it doesn't really appeal to me.
    May I ask why? Is it possible design defects that you are worried about?(always a concern) The look?
    I'm just curious why people choose the SUVs that they do. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I like a box shape and straight lines.
    Some people like bigger tires. Just trying to figure out how you can like a Mog and a G but hate a Hummer. Granted, that engine should have been replaced, but on pure looks, all three are the definition of utilitarianism.
    Civilianly a Hummer is Class 3, the mog is a higher class, don't remember what. Militarily they are in different classes too, not sure about their exact clasification.
    I like the looks of all of them. My wife drives swoopy sedans and I drive the atomic refrigerator. I like the slab sides and the purposeful look.

What I do not like about the H1 is that is not nearly as great as some would have you think., but to each his own. What I do not like about the H2 is that it is a little large for the type of off-roading I like to do and it is compromised too much for road use.

The reason I chose what I did was the blend of unmatched off-road prowess and durability in a machine that rides, drives and looks(on the inside) like a fine MB sedan. Granted you PAY for this but, what I do not get is that the H1 is more money, less capable, durable, comfortable and practical. I can only surmise that most of its owners buy it for "the look". I will admit that many say the same of the G. Mine gets used though. Check the link for pics. The one trail is actually off-limits to the Hummers operated by a tour guide company in Moab. The driver I spoke to said the trucks are to big and wont make it up. We did it in stock G's.He also told me how he used to love Hummers until this job. Now he claims he spends lots of times screwing them back together with lock-tite to keep them together.

http://homepage.mac.com/bwinterholm

The look of the H2 is like a cargo box on wheels, however, even though H2 is larger than the Trooper on the outside, it is smaller on the inside. Then they made H2 so heavy that it will suck down serious amounts of fuel and drive like a big truck.

From a *"practical SUV" point of view, looking at the H2 is like people that looked at the PT Cruiser because they thought it was a hotrod then discovered it was just a Neon station wagon.
    *Where "practical SUV" is a vehicle that can get you and all your stuff where you want to go. It should have cargo and people space second only to a van.

My Trooper is about as long and wide as a Camry sedan. Yet I have transported inside a 18.5 cubic foot refrigerator with all doors closed, a new riding lawn mower, or 8 people. I don't think any of that is possible in the H2. The Troopers both early model 1984-1991 and late model 1992-2002 are in a class I call bigger on the inside than on the outside as if you can almost park another one of itself inside. H2 has the looks of such a vehicle on the outside, but where did all the space go on the inside?
    I think it would be easy for Hummer to get a real bargain on the Trooper factory stuff and add to that lockable differentials like the G. They could offer near G functionality at half the G price. Instead of the big V8 gas guzzler put in an Isuzu Duramax 4cyl 3L turbo for great torque and great MPG.
    I know the H2 can go through 20 inches of water; does anyone have the limits of the RR2003 and the G?
    I'm not sure I would use the factory rating as a hard rule. The air intake on my G is over 36" above the ground. My diff, t-case and trans are vented along the top of the firewall. I wouldn't hesitate to drive through three feet.

I would bet that you would not suck water into the engine at 20" in an H2. The limit probably has to do with the vent tubes not being as high and thoroughly routed as my G and the spark plug wires are likely totally unprotected, and subject to shorting if wet. Both issues can be easily fixed aftermarket. If you had to cross deep water often you would want to do the mods. Getting water in a diff or t-case will have catastrophic results.

I have no clue on the RR, I just hope they seal the doors really well so you don't damage the interior. That is another feature of the G, double sealed waterproof door openings. I recall reading a story on a S-10 ZR-2 where the cabin flooded badly on a water crossing, so the H2 is likely subject to that as well.

I know talking about the G is a little OT, but as you can see those Germans covered all of the bases. My truck is no show pony, it is the real deal, it has features never considered by most manufacturers. Most of these features deal directly with its hardcore off-road nature, apples to apples, nothing even comes close.
    What MPG are you getting with the G?
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper

IMHO the H2 will do well in water because it will sink like a 6700# stone and grip the bottom.
    The H2 is triple sealed. This is due to exterior road noise from the tires as well as water wading issues. Very amusing; sinking like a stone. :)
    I enjoyed the off road pictures of the G; but I didn't see anything that a hummer couldn't conquer as well.
    How many problems have you heard about the G having; engine and trany wise. I know that is going to be the test for GM on the H2. The engine does well, but how does the new Borg-Warner system work out.
    As you may know pictures do not do the terrain justice. The story about the Hummer driver is true. The trails are often just too narrow for the Hummer. The other problem is the Torsen diffs. While AM General wants you to think they work as well as lockers, they most certainly do not. Those two things make getting a Hummer up the Moab Rim trail dangerous at best and likely impossible. I guess you just had to be there.

I am glad they did the right thing by sealing the H2 doors. I think they have done a great job of taking a suburban and making it a respectable off-roader.

The older Gs 230GE and 280GE routinely go 250k miles with no problems, just regular maint, and not a lot of that is needed. The newer G300 G320 models appear to be equally indestructable. The 300GE I sold 18 mos ago now has 120k trouble free miles with its new owner and my 320 is up to 75k without trouble. The engine in the 320 will need a headgasket replacement at some point during its life. They do not blow in the traditional sense, they just tend to start leaking externally. The updated part completely cures this. Then there are the new V8 G500 models, they have only been out a few years but, I would expect them to be similarly indestructable. The truck is seriously overbuilt for civillian use, far more so than even the H1 IMO.

I get about 12mpg with my G. This is fairly common. It is a really big brick, my wife always comments on how well the flat windshield kills bugs(and picks up stone chips unfortunately). The shape and the wieght do it no favors in the milage arena.
    I downloaded a video of an Australian company testing their snorkel for the Jackaroo (Isuzu Trooper is Holden Jackaroo down under). I looked like the rear end of the Trooper began to float in about two feet of water. The front end seemed to float in about three and a half feet of water. Then the Trooper was carried downsteam by the river current until the river widened and shallowed. When the two front wheels hit bottom they began to drive away in reverse since the lighter end went downstream ahead of the heavy end and they wanted all four wheels to get traction so they could turn toward the shore.

So does the Trooper handle 2 feet or 3.5 feet of water or since it floats, infinate feet of water?
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I don't have a lot of experience with the H1's, since I've only been subject to military HMMMV's, but I know they aren't that different... and I can tell you that I'd much rather be in a HMMMV! I'd like to see a G go through 15 feet of water! I mean come on... the HMMMV puts out 100 lbs foot torque more than the G500 at 1000 less rpm's (430 vs 336 and 1700rpms vs 2800). The HMMMV has a 5000lb payload vs under 2000lbs (couldn't get an exact figure). 37" tires vs 18's, 8.3" clearance vs 16", etc. The only thing a G has over a HMMMV is acceleration and class... They are well built, but I've seen HMMMV's go through stuff you wouldn't believe!
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Don't forget that the G is a lot lighter than an H1 and has locking diffs stock.

Locking diffs do not require the brakes to be applied to deliver a descent power split, unlike LSDs. Therefore to even come close to engaging the LSD's to the torque split of a locker (which can split to 0/100 or 100/0 or anywhere in between), one is loosing energy through the brake system.

Short wheelbase vehicles do not need as much ground clearance to clear the same obstacles as longer wheelbase vehicles.
    Fun post! I would like to see either vehicle go through 15 feet of water as you state. I think the submarine topic must be elsewhere. I would like to see a Hummmer do that as well, does the interior stay dry during this manuver, or is the scuba gear standard equipment?

Then you say the Hummer has soo much more torque. As mentioned above it needs it, the H1 is much heavier, should we race them? H1 0-60 in 15-20 seconds vs the G500 at 7.6 seconds. Yep, sure sounds more powerful.

The payload has been discussed. We can bring the Unimog back if you want to talk payload, of course the H1 gets killed on that one too.

Ground clearance, one of my favorite debates in the G vs Hummer realm. I don't know where they came up with the 8.3 inch figure. My G has 13 inches under the axles and 10 under the diffs with 31" tall tires. Mine will be getting 33s shortly bringing my clearance up to ~ 14.5 inches. The best part is that you quote the Hummer max , not minimum clearance. Smart off-roaders do not straddle obstacles like you would have to do with the H1 to take advantage of the clearance. Out under the control arms, near the wheels, the H1 has virtually no advantage in real world use.

As far as seeing Hummers go through stuff, I have DRIVEN my G through, up over, around plenty of stuff you wouldn't believe. I spoke to a Hummer driver at a trailhead in Moab, he couldn't believe where we had just gone.

I know the H1 pretty well. It certainly has some stregnths. It is a heavy hauler and a much better desert machine than the G. When you start to talk about how civilians use these trucks, the Hummer is way outclassed in capability by the G. Two years ago Hummer guys could complain about the Gs price, now it is substantially LESS money than an H1. The tables are turned, the H1 has become the show toy.
    Actually, We have a video somewhere around here that has a HMMMV with the deep water kit going through roughly 12-15 deep water! I work as Civilian Contract Specialist for the Military, meaning I buy equipment. Although I don't personally buy the HMMMV, I buy equipment a lot of the technical equipment that goes on it, and I have access to the performance specs. Actually Mercedes bid the original government award, but they couldn't meet several of the performance specs! The number one reason they didn't win though was production capability! I'm not saying the G isn't a decent civilian vehicle, but it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to a HMMMV as far as off-roadability is concerned! You're right about the unimog though... it will go down in history as one of the best off-roaders. To date, I don't know of any other vehicle, including the HMMMV that can articulate the way a mog does! The technology is a bit outdated, but I'd love to own one!
    You consider the Unimog to be a great off-roader, with great articulation huh? I happen to own one each, Gwagen and Unimog. If you want to quote specs, the G has better side lean angle capability and better hill climbing ability. While wheelin' in the Mog is a real trip, I find that the G is actually a little more capable. This is recreational use of course. If my posterior had to depend on it in a military situation I would choose the Mog.

You have your facts a little off. Actually you didn't say anything incorrect, you just inferred it. The G was not chosen because it could not carry the larger loads/weaponry that the Hummvee can. It had NOTHING to do with its off-road capabilities. I'm not sure what you are basing your statement " it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to a HMMMV as far as off-roadability is concerned!" on. Have you EVER seen a G being used off-road? Have you ever seen the two try to tackle the same trail? I have, and you are correct, there is no comparison but, it is NOT in the Hummers favor.

I get a kick out of you hummer fans. You know essentially nothing about the G. You rely on urban legend to define the capabilities of the Hummer. Sure it is big and bad and Arnold has several (he has Gs too), but that does not make it capable. Do some real research, see them both in action in real world situations, be willing to be objective, the G is much more than a rich mans toy, it is capable like no other vehicle.
    I got an email from someone who got a copy of their brochure. The off road capabilities are listed as:

H2 can climb a 16" vertical wall, navigate a 60% grade, traverse a 40%
    side slope, and operate in up to 20" of water.

I would be curious to hear from others what their vehicles off road numbers are in comparison. You know this was written by marketing because of the words, navigate traverse and operate. Amusing, but impressive for a stock SUV from the states that will be in the 50k range.

One of the reasons I have always liked the hummer is that I like a wide stable vehicle. I'm curious as to whether or not the G owners have had any problems with it being so narrow. I know side wind stability is an issue, but what about other situations you may have encountered.
    I'd go as far to say that both commercial counterparts Hummer and GWagon are rich man's toys. I have seen both the G and HMMMV in action Unfortunately, it wasn't at the same time, and the G was an early 80's model. I did get to see it's capabilities though and undoubtedly was impressed! In fact, we drove the same trail (I was in a 73 Landcruiser FJ40)over a 4 mile stretch through the Northern Rockies in Montana. The G is a great vehicle, I just don't see it withstanding the abuse that a HMMMV does. The commercial Hummer from what I understand isn't built as well, so that may be your basis for comparing. Unfortunately, the military HMMMV is not DOT approved and can't be decommisioned without serious alteration to it's body.

Enough ranting... back to the H2 discussion!
    ..though you still under estimate the Gs durability.

The numbers on the G for comparisons sake are as follows. 80% climbing, 54% side grade, I will look for the other two, water and wall. These numbers again are somewhat affected by liability. I have had my G on a near 100% grade in Moab. It was so steep that even with all of the lockers engaged and the tires aired down for traction, I actaully started to spin all four tires mid climb.
    Are we talking degrees or grade or what? I don't buy the 80% when The Mercedes stuff I got from them wouldn't even make that bold of a claim. I also don't buy the side angle; the G is too narrow!
    Lucy, you got a lot of splainin' to do!
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I have a May 1993 Motor Trend article where they test drive the new Civilian Hummer.

Price as Tested: $49,950

Now the MSRP is around $95,000 - $110,00 (of course they can be bought for usually 15k below sticker, at least at Lynch Hummer in St. Louis MO)

$49,950, thats cheaper than I'll be paying for my H2 !!!!
    Offroading is about getting there and back in one piece, not going 40 miles per hour down a trail or somewhere else.

An EXPERIENCED Hummer driver can go almost everywhere a G driver can go. BTM is hard to master and TT4 doesn't work as well. Only place Hummer can't follow G is through narrow places.

They are talking about percents NOT degrees. The H is rated lower than the G because the ratings are for when the vehicle is under full GVW, since the H has a higher GVW it is rated lower. A unloaded H can go 60-65 degrees vertical and 50-55 degree horizontal.

The Unimog is more capable but its also not in the same class as the H or G. If you don't compare vehicles in the same class the A2 can be brought in. It definitely is more capable than all the rest, just point and shoot to clear a way.
    The last army contract I saw had them going for a price of $36,000 a piece... but they bought 30 some thousand of them =)
    kto, the measurements are in % grade, not degrees. 100% grade is a 45 degree angle, which of course looks to be straight up! The Gs side lean capabilities come from clever engineering that keeps the center of gravity very low for a tall,narrow truck. If you go to the mbusa website, they have a great short video of a G traversing a side hill.

I beg to differ on hivcs Hummer stats. NOTHING will climb 60-65 degrees under its own power. It is simple physics that steal your traction at those angles. Side slope of 50-55 degrees is impossible as well, though I am sure the H1 out performs the G in side lean due to its low profile and extreme width.

"Only place Hummer can't follow G is through narrow places." Well, everywhere I have off-roaded this becomes an issue. In my mind that makes the H1 impractical as a recreational off-roader, though some obviously choose to anyway.

I think the H2 will prove to be a decent machine. You can get a lot of places with just a rear locker, decent articulation and a good set of tires. The price looks pretty good as well. It is a lot for a chevy, but to make the upgrades yourself would likely cost nearly as much.
    I have never personally experienced 60-65 but I have heard of stories and seen pics of it beyond 60 degree. I have personally experienced 45-50 sideways and heard of others and seen pics that have gone beyond.

"Well, everywhere I have off-roaded this becomes an issue." Not everyone likes your kind of offroading. There are many different kinds of offroading.
    I don't mean to be condescending but, those numbers just are not possible. They are certainly attainable in % grade but not in degrees, there is a huge difference.

As for the gs durability in military service, it has a 15 year life cycle, which is has exceeded. Lessee, the Humvee hasn't been around much longer than that, and they have scrapped them by the thousands already.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I pulled in to a local gas station (which is probably 5 miles from the Hummer assembly plant) and there was a bright yellow H2. It's the 2nd one I've seen around town but the first time I'd seen one parked. As my tank was filling I walked over for a closer look. I was amazed at the size. I was under the impression it was going to be smaller than a regular Hummer but if it is, it's not by much. The tires are huge (315/70x17)! It did appear to be finished quite nicely (leather seats) and appears much more civilized (or maybe that's "civilianized") than a regular Hummer. Arnold was in town last week for some publicity shots so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the ad campaign.
  • jrosoffjrosoff Member Posts: 10
    We need details. How cool was it? I am waiting for mine, still yet to see it, however. I do have a refundable deposit, but I doubt I will be doing any refunding.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    If you like to drive the biggest, meanest looking thing on the road, you should be happy. It certainly will be a conversation piece.

I personally don't know why anyone would spend that kind of money on a truck or why anyone needs anything that big but if it floats your boat, go for it.
    Can anyone tell me what the heck radio navigation is and does anyone know why it would be used over DVD navigation? This is an 'option' that they are thinking of putting on the H2. Not sure why, but maybe someone can better explain this to me.
    K
    For all those who want info on the H2. For those that want to bash the H2 in favor of your beloved G-Wagon; you might find more ammo for your cause or just realize that the H2 is not trying to compete against you.

www.hummerh2.net

www.hummer.com

www.lynchhummer.com

www.gm-trucks.com/ART_H2Preview.shtml
    IMHO many buyers of H2 hoping to drive it daily will find out like many Excursion buyers did that it is such a gas hogging tank to drive that they trade it in or at least get another car for daily use.
    Would you rather be driving a tank or little tin can. The reason I like a big stout SUV is that there are way too many negligent drivers out there. When you live in Texas and the South West in general, a good portion of the people on the road are not citizens and do not always pay attention to the road signs. The fact that they are driving construction trucks only makes it worse.
    Granted there are other problems on the road; soccer moms are one of my biggest pet peeves, right up there with the guy working on his lap top while driving; so why would I not want to have as much protection as is practically possible surrounding myself and my family.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    Anyone near St. Louis MO can see an H2 at Lynch Hummer. They will have one their on Saturday, May 4th, 11am - 4pm !!