Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Lawman1967: Actually, that Saturn SL special edition is not as cheap as you thought. Someone went down to the dealer to look at one and posted that yea, it's a great cash price or good if you finance on your own, BUT Saturn only offers a semi-high 8% interest rate on the SL. Since the SL1 offers 0.9% interest, it's really a wash as far as payments go and you end up with a better equipped car.

Majorthomecho: I think you aren't quite grasping my point. Is the Echo in its current form WORTH more then 14k? The Echo is a nice little car and will probably prove to be reliable, but it's not WORTH more then 14k. It just doesn't have the more expensive trimmings you would expect of a car of that price, nor does it exude that high quality appearance. The Echo was built with 10k prices in mind and therefore has the look and feel of one. That's why I said someone would be stupid to pay much more then 14k for one, when there are other cars that get almost as good fuel economy and actually look and feel like they are worth their price. The size of the car has little to do with it. I prefer small cars, just like yourself. I mean I do own an 84 VW Rabbit GTI and a 92 Miata as well. I wouldn't give them up for anything, unless they were destroyed in an accident. Would I buy the new Mini? Probably, if I liked how it looked and drove in person. Is it worth 17-21k? Damn right! It looks expensive, feels expensive, drives expensive, and has options only expensive cars offer. Do you understand where I'm coming from more now?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Major, thank you for clarifying your comment on "overall" superiority of American cars to Korean cars. Before your clarification, I thought by "overall" you were referring to more than just initial quality as measured by JD Power.

Do you happen to have a URL to the JD Power study that you referred to, that demonstrates this superiority? I couldn't find it. I did find a 2001 Initial Quality Survey on www.jdpower.com that clearly demonstrates the superiority of the Japanese makes, especially Toyota/Lexus, in initial quality. No surprise there. Honda/Acura took a couple of categories, Nissan too (interestingly, the awards were for the oldest designs of each automaker). But I didn't see any evidence of American superiority over Korean vehicles in that study, because none of the four American vehicles that took honors were in a class that has any Korean vehicles in it. So it's kind of hard to compare initial quality when there's nothing to compare with, right? Also, only one European car took a category, the Saab 9-5; again, there is no Korean car in that category. So I figure you are referring to a different study.
    The ECHO is a nice little car, but I am another person who would not spend $14k on one. If I bought one, it would be via the strippo route: 2 doors, 5-speed, A/C. Maybe power steering. If I'm going to spend $14k for a car, I expect a lot more than what ECHO can give me. For $14k, one can buy (with some bargaining) a loaded Elantra GT, a Protege LX with moonroof and alloys, a Civic LX, a Lancer, a Focus ZTS, maybe even a Corolla LE. All much more car than the ECHO.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Find the list from JD Powers showing where the car companies finished in terms of initial quality for 2001. Add the positions of the American car companies together, the positions of the European car companies together (Jaguar even though owned by Ford and GM's European nameplates even though owned or controlled by GM should be counted as European car companies. Same as any Japanese car companies owned or controlled by an American company should be counted as Japanese), etc., divide by the number of car companies total and you will see where the regions rank. That is what I meant.

I am sorry but I have trouble posting a link on here. AOL is just so much easier in that regard.
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    It is a very simple car, which means there is less to go wrong. It's amazing on gas. The interior is well thought out, surprisingly spacious for such a tiny car. And it is Toyota, which is a big plus for me.
    Maybe it is different here, but every car backy just mentioned starts a couple k higher then the Echo.
    The Canadian Echo comes in at $17k with CD, power locks/keyless entry, AC, and automatic. The only other car I've found that you can roll off the lot for this price is a base Cavalier (yuck)

It looks very gawky, but I can see past the outer shell of cars.
    And I happen to disagree with your opinion that the Echo is not worth more than 14k.

And it happens to be my opinion that the Lancer OZ is not worth the premium you pay over the base Lancer ES. What did you get for that price anyway? Pretty much a fancier set of wheels, wasn't it? Did that extra price get you a higher quality in interiors?

If performance was the overriding factor in your purchase and I know it was not, but if it was, there are better small cars out there. And the Echo has a better 0 to 60 and quarter mile times.

And it doesn't matter if it is an inch or a mile, winning is winning. ; )
    I want to point out that I know you get more than fancier wheels for the price difference between the Lancer ES and the Lancer OZ. I was being sarcastic in case you missed it.

And while the quality of the materials in the Echo may be inexpensive, the way they are put together is top notch. Witness the Echo being in the top three of small cars in the JD Powers survey of initial quality. And how do you put a [exact] price on that? That quality of workmanship is something that attracts a lot of people as it attracted me.

So what if I can get an Elantra GT for 14k, it won't have the same [build] quality as a Toyota Echo of the same price.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    just wondering have you ever driven a elantra gt ?
    As one who has driven both the ECHO and the Elantra GT, my impression is that the build quality on the GT is superior to that of the ECHO. Some examples:

* Fit of body panels top-notch on the GT (Hyundai uses the same type of assembly robots as does MB); huge gap between front and rear doors on ECHO (may be planned that way, but it looks cheap).

* Solid thunk from doors on GT; much tinnier sound from ECHO.

* Thick, solid sun visors with solid plastic flip doors on large vanity mirrors on GT; thin, flimsy sun visors with tiny vanity mirrors covered by floppy velcroized doors on ECHO.

* Smooth rotary and electronic push-button HVAC controls on ECHO; cheap-feeling manual controls on ECHO.

* Padded armrests on GT; hard plastic arm rests (on doors only) on ECHO.

* Beautifully stitched leather seating surfaces on GT; typical econobox cloth on ECHO.
    >>> Maybe it is different here, but every car backy just mentioned starts a couple k higher then the Echo. <<<

Quite true, but that's not what I said. I said that one can <i>buy those cars I mentioned at around $14k (that's USD, to be clear), with some negotiating. Actually, I was being conservative. In my town, one can buy the cars I listed at around $14k with no negotiating, because I've recently seen the cars at those prices in local ads. If someone prefers a basic econobox like the ECHO to a refined compact car like the Corolla, Protege, Elantra GT, or Civic, that's great. But when it's my hard-earned money I'm spending, I expect something more for it.
    Sorry about your problems posting URLs, Major. I'm still having trouble finding the study you mentioned. Maybe you could at least give me a hint, e.g. the URL for the home page, and some directions on what to click on to at least get in the ballpark?

Here is the URL for the list of Initial Quality studies on www.jdpower.com:

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/filter.asp?KeywordValueID=46&CatID=1

There is only one study I've found on jdpower.com that covers worldwide Initial Quality for 2001; the URL is:

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/filter.asp?KeywordValueID=46&CatID=1

If your URL is too long to be copied in one piece, you could copy it in segments and then it's a simple matter for others to copy/paste to reassemble it.

On this topic, here is the URL for a story from today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution that talks about the improving quality of Korean cars vis-a-vis American cars (among other things):

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/friday/wheels_c32d91dcf20c30db00a8.html

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    see pat "Lost in the Town Hall? Ask the Sedans Host for directions!" Apr 13, 2002 10:25am. You might want to start a couple posts prior to that one.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Nice of you to join us from the News And View board. Yes, I have test driven an Elantra GT. Not a very pleasant experience, but had very little to do with the car and a lot to do with the salesman who rode along.
  • supremesupreme Member Posts: 38
    05-04-2002
    MTE:
    KBB
    ZIP 54914

TOYOTA 2002 ECHO 1415 SEDAN 4D
    RETAIL: $10585 + 485 (DESTIN) + 1020 (UPGRADE#1)=
    $12,090 {+22%}

KIA 2002 SPECTRA 24401 SEDAN 4D
    RETAIL: $10995 + 495 (DESTIN) - 2000 (REBATE)=
    $9,490

TOYOTA 2002 COROLLA 1711 SEDAN 4D
    RETAIL: $12568 + 495 (DESTIN) =
    $13,053 (+28%}

Your allegation of quoting Spectra before destin
    & Echo after is not valid. I did not originally'
    quote destination; however, I have now. Emperical proof, of whatever it means, but you can reproduce the results yourself. Be my guest.
    Supreme.
    The things you ask me to do, I swear! ; ) It took me a while to get the URL, but I did it. It wasn't always like this, but when I click on the following URL, another page pops up before the first page starts loading and I have to "X" the second page to be able to see the page I want to see. The URL left in the little box on AOL is for the second page that I did not want to see.

I went back to the list of pages I have seen recently and highlighted the description for the page I wanted. The second page did not pop up so I was able to see the URL for the page I wanted.

I originally posted the URL, but after I posted this message, I clicked on the link my giving the URL generated and I got the message that the page could not be found. I then tried editing the URL and clicking on the edited version, but again it told me that the page could not be found so I have deleted the URL.

The link SHOULD have taken you to the story that appeared in USA Today about the 2001 JD Power survey results.
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    The Echo is still EASILY worth $3000 more than the Spectra, just as the Corolla is worth $4000 more. Wow, $13K for a Corolla, that has to be one of the best values on a new car going! Is that with AC (essential)?
    I wouldn't need to ask you to do anything if you wouldn't make statements such as Korean cars being, overall, not the equal of American cars without any substantiation, then when I ask you for clarification, you base your statement on a report from JD Power on initial quality. So naturally I wanted to take a look at that report. If your rating of Korean cars vs. all others is based solely on a JD Power survey of initial quality during the first 90 days of ownership, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but to me it seems that other factors should be considered when saying which cars are better "overall." There are, for example, other recent studies (Auto Pacific's) that show Korean makes doing very well. There are reviews by sources like Edmunds.com, CR, AutoWeek, and C/D that show that Korean cars compare very well to American cars, and even to many Japanese and European cars. So can you see how someone could take all these sources, plus personal experience, together can come up with a different conclusion about overall equality of Korean and American cars?
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Who finances through the dealership anyways? I always take the rebate, and use my home equity line of credit, (currently 4.25% and tax deductible, making it a little over 3% tax effected).

The Saturn sounds like a great deal to me. I would take one of those long before a Kia.
  • lleroilleroi Member Posts: 112
    The best home equity rate i could get was 7% with USAA who are generally very competitive.
    Sorry, I did not make myself clearer in my initial post, but in initial quality, Korean cars, as a whole, come in fourth behind American cars, European cars, and Japanese cars.

Happy now? ; )
  • supremesupreme Member Posts: 38
    05-05-2002
    MTE:
    When I suggested that Echo was giving 41mpg I was just using MTE shared information on your experience. And of course, 41-38=3. So I simply said Echo was getting 3mpg better that Kia Spectra at 38mpg & that I wouldn't spend an extra $3000 for the extra 3mpg. BTW 3d Spectra tank of
    66/33 town & country driving yielded 27.5mpg.
    Supreme.
    Happy? No, I'm tired and I wish my wife would come home from the hospital one of these days.

I think you were pretty clear about the standings of the JD Power survey in your earlier post, so why beat it into the ground? I can read. It just amazes me sometimes the reasoning some people use to justify their opinions. I guess that's why these forums are like a box of chocolates--you never know what you're going to get.
    u said a mouthfull...
    JD Power quality surveys are rather neutral things, hitting everyone soon after they buy a new car. The neutrality is probably best evidenced by the fact that Saturn, a maker of inexpensive cars, competes neck and neck for satisfaction with Lexus.

The other truth is that people tend to vehemently defend what they buy, considering a negative opinion about their personal choice of wheels as an insult to them personally.

The fact is, Korean cars are much better than they used to be, as evidenced by reviews here on Edmunds, in the magazines and yes, in JD Power. That said, they still have yet to equal the Americans, Europeans and Japanese, which is backed up by those same sources.

I lived in South Korea for two years (94-95) and have seen the progress of the Korean industry. I owned a Kia Avella (Ford Aspire) at that time, anddespite niggling quality issues, was pleased with it. That experience is typical of Korean cars. The engines, transmissions and other hard parts are fine. Simple, a tad less sophisticated (usually shown in poor MPG), and rougher around the edges (notchy transmissions, etc), but they work reliably.

Todays Korean cars are much better, especially the Hyundais. Cars like the Sonata, Elantra GT and Santa Fe show very high build quality, provide well-controlled rides and pleasant interiors. They still lack in sophisticated road manners, but are much better than they used to be.

Problem is, Europe, the US and Japan (usually) get better too. My 2002 Mitsubishi Galant is a huge improvement over my classmate's 1997 model (one generation). A colleague at work has a 2001 Nissan Sentra, which likewise is a huge improvement over the 1997 Sentra I just traded in last year (also a one generation difference). We look at how much better the current Elantra, Spectra, Sonata or whatever is than the previous one, but forget that with the possible exception of the Civic, the Japanese show equal or greater improvements as well.

Go drive a Mitsubishi Lancer. This car replaces the Mirage, and is so vastly superior to what it replaced that I even considered it instead of the midsize Galant - it is that good. Ditto the Focus, Golf, Corolla, etc.

The whole industry keeps moving, and playing catch up is so much harder against a moving target.
    With those economy numbers and the percentage of town to country driving you gave, sounds like you need to do more country driving. ; ) But according to the EPA numbers, your Spectra is getting 1.5 miles to the gallon more than what they say it should given those percentages.

Supreme, do you mind giving us a rundown of what additional equipment you feel is necessary to equip an Echo like a Spectra? I went to Carsdirect.com and added the equipment I felt made up the difference and came up with the numbers I posted.

HOWEVER, I then went back and compared the two base vehicles (with no additional equipment) and made careful note of the differences between the two. I then went back to the optioning part of Carsdirect and optioned an Echo to be as close of a match of the Spectra as I possibly could using this new information. I came up with a third number.

So, again, I ask, what options did you add to the Echo?
    I don't take negative opinions about my Echo personally. I know the styling leaves a lot of people turned off.
    Which is the worse of two evils? is a better question.
    At the rate Korean cars are improving they will surpass American cars and catch up to Japanese in the near future.
    "I don't take negative opinions about my Echo personally. I know the styling leaves a lot of people turned off"

I don't think anybody said anything about "YOUR" car . but your sure do blast anybody that says anything going against what you think of echo .

like lawman said "The other truth is that people tend to vehemently defend what they buy, considering a negative opinion about their personal choice of wheels as an insult to them personally."

thats why i said it just doens't matter.. people are very closed minded . they like what they like and even if someone makes a valid point they will trash it because they can't be wrong . we all buy the cars we like for whatever reason we like them . major tried to make the resale of the echo sound way better than the accent when his #'s showed they were only 6% different. and both sucked at about 50% . i claimed at 12 k you could get an echo and it was striped . i was mistaken , major made sure to point it out rather harshly i might add calling it a lie . but i was wrong and stated that . but the fact is the echo is a nice car if you want to get a high mpg car from toyota . but for what it cost and what you get i think there are better cars out there for the money ,if mpg isn't the most important part of the car .
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    If Koreans are improving in both initial and long-term quality at a seemingly faster rate than American brands, and if a brand like Chrysler shows good initial results but deteriorates more quickly than other domestics, and if a quality gem like Civic is capable of slacking off, then the "lesser of two evils" becomes a matter of "how much more market share do the domestics lose?" And soon, how much do the Japanese lose?
    Actually my comments about negative opinions were directed at people who own cars liket he Spectra, which have important issues like quality criticized, styling is totally subjective.

That, and I like the Echo. My friend bought one of the first ones here, 4-doors, with power windows in front only, and powerlocks (aftermarket, I think). The central instruments are a bit weird to me, but I've never seen another vehicle that makes such excellent use of space.
    Who says Koreans are catching the Japanese? I see tremendous improvement in Korean cars, but even more in Japanese cars. Actually, my vote for most improved in recent years would go to Volkswagen, but that's another issue.

I see cars like the new Corolla and Lancer on the low end, Camry and Altima (ugly interior, but oh sooooo fast) in the middle and just can't imagine Hyundai or Kia catching up anytime soon. The new Sonata is a nice car (rented one in Korea last summer), but it still doesn't meet the standards of the outgoing generation of Japanese midsize cars like my Galant or the old 2001 Camry. The current Accord is light-years beyond the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata, and a new one is due out in a few months that will make the old one look dated.

The Elantra is much better than any previous Elantra, but the 96-2000 Civic, and even the 93-97 Corolla are nicer, more solid cars, while the new Corolla has moved the class up another notch.

Even down another notch where the Accent and Echo live, the Korean entries, while much nicer than their predecessors, aren't up to the quality and engineering standards of the Echo.

What isn't mentioned here is that my comparisons are by size class, rather than price class. The Korean brands continue to compete by pricing their cars as though they were one bracket lower. The Sonata isn't as nice as the Camry, but is compelling agains the Corolla. The Elantra can't match the Corolla, but is compelling against the Echo, while the Accent undercuts the Echo by a few grand, where Toyota lakcs an entry.

Koreans give you more for your dollar in terms of quantity, but at a lower quality level. What never fails however, is that you tend to get what you pay for.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "The three companies will hold equal stakes in the joint venture, to be called 'Global Engine Alliance"

-Road and Track

http://www.roadandtrack.com/news/dai/PrintArticle.asp?ArticleID=43

Now that's interesting! Another interesting part of the announcement--and a bit surprising to me, given that DaimlerChrysler and Mitsubishi are no slouches in engine design:

"... Hyundai will lead the development and engineering... ".

So we have this German/American car company and this Japanese car company in a joint venture with a Korean company, and the Korean company is taking the lead in development and engineering?? Obviously the initial quality of these engines will be the worst in the industry. ;-)
    head to head on the Korean pennisula.It will be interesting to see if Mercedes will actually be up front with the Koreans.No matter though,it certainly looks like the Korean economy will benifit from these ventures.Lets hope that DC and GM both treat their Korean partners better then what happened with Chrysler.
    If someone calls my car ugly or something that is an expression of their opinion, I let it slide. But if they claim, like you, that $12,000 will only get you a stripped Echo, then I respond. Or if a poster makes the claim that another car is much rommier than my Echo and the measurements don't show that to be the case, I respond.

And Zig, post #767 in the Hyundai is the best car company ....thread in News And Views sure didn't sound like an admission of being wrong. You basically said that you meant that for $12,000 you weren't getting as much for the money as an Elantra.

During this exchange, you also called the resale values of the Echo horrid and I pointed out that if the resale values on the Echo were horrid, the resale values of the Accent were even worse. You brought up the fact that we were talking about the Elantra and the Echo. Well, you know what? The resale values on the Elantra GLS will be 48% after two years and 50% on the Elantra GT after two years. This is less than the resale value on an Echo, either two door or four door.

The point is if you think the resale value on the Echo is horrid, you MUST agree that the resale value on the Accent AND the Elantras are horrid to.
    RE korean catching up,

Korean cars haven't ventured into more expensive markets, so it's hard to say if they can compete with higher end Japanese cars. Looking at the current Tiburon as a prime example, they are slowly raising the price, and quality, of their cars to bring it closer to Japanese competitors. They must do this gradually, however, because nobody is going to pay much for a Hyundai... yet. I'm not saying they have caught up to Japanese, but I am saying that they will... and much sooner then American cars would, if they ever do.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    I guess if you look around, good deals are out there. I currently have a home equity line of credit through my credit union that's 4.00% for the first 6 months and then jumps to the prime rate after that for the life of the loan. I'm not sure, but I think prime right now is 4.75% (at least that's what my CU quoted, but I don't know if that's out of date by now).

I've got 0.9 financing on my Intrepid right now, and at the time I bought it I didn't have enough equity in my home to finance it that way. Still, if you have the equity and don't mind mortgaging the house back up, it may be a good way to go.
    They (Korean cars) are improving, but they are doing so at the same pace as the Japanese, or even slower. The mark they must surpass is constantly being raised, and with that in mind, it will be a very long time before the reach it.

We used to say the same thing about the Japanese with regards to the Germans. The first Acuras were nowhere near Mercedes levels, and as Acuras and Lexuses (Lexi?) have improved immensely with each generation, so too have the BMW and Mercedes. The end result is that parity is a long and slow process, which Lexus getting close to, but hasn't yet, after 13 years, reached. Oh, don't talk about how new Lexus is, as Lexus is just Toyota, and Toyota has been in the American market about as long as BMW.

The Koreans may someday catch up, but not in the life of my new car's payment book they won't.
    you really need to read before you speak . i said they were BOTH bad , your the one that said echo resale was exceptable (post#761)and accent was horrid in another, and with the #'s u posted in the forums it was 54% for a 2door if i am correct and the accent was 48% , well they are both horrid don't you think ?? gimme a break man and just get a clue .

""And Zig, post #767 in the Hyundai is the best car company ....thread in News And Views sure didn't sound like an admission of being wrong. You basically said that you meant that for $12,000 you weren't getting as much for the money as an Elantra.""

sure take post 767 and forget about the otherposts after where i do say it .

dude i will end it here because you are a person that can't just say "hey i was wrong and shouldn't have said this or that "

its not worth it because you have tunnel vision and nothing can change that ,
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    To clarify, I got mine through my credit union, and with automatic deduction from my checking account, I got a variable rate at .25% below prime.

The rate is 4.50%, not 4.25%. Got excited, sorry.
    Yeah, but Lexus is so new! :-)

But seriously, in what sense is Lexus so behind Mercedes. I know that Mercedes tends to be the Pioneer of luxury based gizmos and doodads, and Lexus is more of a copycat, but that has nothing to do with it. In my recent experience the quality and fit and finish as well as the refinement seem on par, though slightly different (kind of like BMW and Mercedes are on par but different)
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    if not in pure quality, at least in technical sophistication.

Look at the late eighties, third generation Accord (the one with the pop up head lights). That's still a very enjoyable car, although much smaller than the present Elantra/Focus, etc. The next three generations were all pretty much interchangable IMHO. I'm sure the rigidity of the new car is better and its dimensions are larger incrementally in every direction, but it's certainly not ahead of the curve like the late eighties model was.

Civic-- new model is cruder and less reliable than last generation.

Corolla-- '03 is a step ahead of the badly decontented '98-'02 model, but not as far ahead of the curve as the 93-97's. Same with the Camry, plus the problem with sludging.

Compare this to the Koreans, who if they aren't there yet at least are actively progressing.
    Zig, actually, the resale values that ALG gave and which Kiplinger's printed were for an Echo two door with an MSRP of just $10,480 and a Echo four door with an MSRP of just $11,080. If your theory of more stuff means higher resale value, then a $12,000 Echo, which you called stripped, would have an even higher resale value.

You seem to think that the higher end cars would have a higher resale value than low end cars and that is not always the case. The four door Echo has the same resale value percentage, after two years, as a [new] Lexus ES300. And the Echo beats many larger, more expensive, cars in holding its value.

And, with one exception, none of the Kia or Hyundai models of any price, have a higher resale value [as a percentage] after two or four years as a four door Echo. The one exception is the Hyundai Tiburon. After two years, it will be worth one percent more than a four door Echo. And with only two exceptions, the Tiburon and the Hyundai Sonata, none of the Kia or Hyundai models of any price, have a higher resale value [as a percentage] after two or four years as a two door Echo, either.

And Zig, in several later responses, you continued to accuse me of not getting your point and how you were simply comparing content. Those sure didn't sound like admissions of being wrong, either.

No, my friend, I think it is you with the tunnel vision.
    dudes get a clue , as for resale i used your own posts. with your #'s . so are they not right ? and saying "your right major ac and cd player isn't striped " ummm i think that is saying iam wrong what ya think .

dude get a grip and let it go . the post you are going on and on about was called " it just doesn't matter " and your going on and on just proves it .it doesn't matter what you say to some people .

some people just don't get it .

i never once claimed that any hyundai has good resale . i think i have made many a post saying that is the worse thing about hyundai .. so get off the resale will ya .your the one that said after 2 years the echo had a 54% resale and that was exceptable , and those are your #'s not mine , you also said the accent had a 48# resale value . well that is only 6% difference . and with the difference is price in the cars that is almost made up . and i said that 50% of the value of the car sucks , no matter if it was a echo or accent and it does . geezzzz

dude u like the echo thats fine . it is a good car but give us all a break and let it rest .
    Yes, the resale values I gave were correct for Echos of the MSRP I just gave. I did not make it clear in my original posts what the MSRPs were.

And 54% is the resale value, after two years, of the two door Echo. I have the four door which stripped is said to be worth 55% of MSRP, but my Echo comes nicely equipped so resale is probably higher.

And I guess focusing on Hyundais made you miss my statement that the Echo's resale values beat many larger, more expensive cars [meaning from makers other than Hyundai] which runs counter to your statement [paraphrasing] that if you play in this end of the pool, resale values are going to be bad.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    The only guy I know that drives a car for resale value is a guy that puts on 35,000 miles per year. No on else even cares.
    I drive about 40,000 per year and could care
    less as I get reimbursed.My guess would be that anyone who puts that kind of mileage on a car is in a similar position.
    I would imagine the person who puts 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year and trades every 2-4 years would be most concerned about resale value.This type of person is probably better off with a Honda or Toyota product.I usually trade at 120,000-140,000 miles.At this mileage brand is almost meaningless.Ive had good luck with Luminas and now an Impala.They are easy to sell and durable up to about 150,000 miles.Most of my driving is on the interstate so I prefer a larger car.
    I would imagine the person who puts 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year and trades every 2-4 years :

Would lease and therefor would also not care.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    yes but your in exactly the same boat as the guy that I know that drives 35,000 miles/year. I would expect you to care.

In a rather kludgey was I was just trying to make a point. Usually a guy that drives huge miles want's to make sure that their car will hold it's value even with high miles because he will trade is car off often. A person that is going to buy a car and just keep it hopefully until the car is paid off really doesn't care much. I myself don't care about resale on my P5 because I know darn well that I'm going to run this car into the ground. I just want to make sure it's reliable during that time.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Post 1700! All these people advocating for Hyundai and Kia who say that the money factor is in favor of the Korean makes when the cars are driven until their dead don't consider that the Korean's supposed increase in quality isn't always reflective of long term performance. So that Kia might bite the dust years ahead of a Honda or Toyota.