Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Test score for Spectra '05
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/3351.html
    I would imagine that resale will be higher with Hyundai than with Kia, so if a Korean car is in your plans I would place my bet on Hyundai. Does not even matter if they are the exact car, as logic mean nothing. The brand of Hyundai seems to be most popular now amongst the Korean makes. What ever happened to Daewoo? I hear they make army tanks, guns, stereos and who knows what, but no cars for USA??? As for quality of early model Japanese cars, I would say yes, Toyota and Datsuns were very good in the early years, and a classic '70s Datsun 510 may still be fun to own and drive for sport. The earliest Honda and Subaru looked like death traps and pretty flimsy, but I bet the little honda engine purred along. No, would not want a 40 or even a 30 year old one of those. Since Korea was just starting out with cars for worldwide distribution, I do not see how they ran into so much trouble producing a car. Should have been modern day plants, with new equipment. Oh well, that is history now, so good luck to future efforts by Hyundai and other Korean name plates. I am sure things are better. Everyone has to decide which element of a car's make up is most important, or holds the most weight, be it safety, style, cost, performance/handling, ride comfort, image, fuel economy, and such. If every element holds nearly equal weight, I don't know what you would do, other perhaps go with a used car. You can buy a new Corolla or Civic for under $14 + tax & Lic, but not with side air bags. Maybe an Elantra is your thing. As for safety, size and weight matter, so while a test may look good, it is only a part of the equation. You could buy an older, say '98 Crown Vic and have a lot of steel around you or buy an SUV. Gas mileage would not be as good however. Just depends on what weight you put on each element which makes up the total buying decision on a car. Elantra or Cobalt may be just the ticket for someone looking for what they like the most in a car. For those that buy and sell a car every three years, I would imagine a Japanese make would be a best bet. I was always of the opinion that you buy a Japanese car new, but you could buy an American or other make used and get the best deal. These days, with all the discounts on American cars, perhaps you can be better off buying new, if holding a car for more than say 5 to 7 years. Still, it is amazing to see say Buicks a year or two old, coming off lease, sold for say $10k to $13K when they sold for what, say $20 to $23k new. If a person wants a deal, maybe that is it. Not always a real exciting car, but they get 30 MPG on the freeway, and are comfy to drive.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Daewoo was bought by GM awhile back, so they no longer sell cars in the U.S. under the Daewoo name. But GM does import Daewoos under other brands: Chevy Aveo (sedan and 5-door), Suzuki Forenza (sedan and wagon), Suzuki Reno, and Suzuki Verona.
    Just today, I was looking at some overpriced cars at Chevy. They had some Aveos priced about the same as a Corolla. OK, maybe ya get an auto tranny, but get real, they look like little toys that should sell for $10K. At that price, it looks like a deal. Also saw a Malibu priced at near $29K..... well that is out of this world. I saw an ad on TV for a new BMW starting at under $29k -- which would you buy? Anyway, for a car to use in town, or maybe on the golf course, these little Aveos would be pretty neat. Would not want to be on the freeways with one though, or pay over 10 grand for the golf carts. If paying say 14K, why not get the Chevy Cobalt. It is getting pretty wacky out there people. Please note, these are only my humble opinions, so if you disagree, please disregard. It may all make sense for someone else, just not me.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    They sticker it that high so they can put on the legendary Chevy incentives and rebates...besides, they DO get the odd sucker now and again that pays full price for one. That's why Chevy sucks. ;)

Going to Hyundai vs. Kia, the Kia Spectra5 looks a lot sportier than the Elantra GT. Maybe the GT has leather, but the Spectra's got bigger wheels, bodykit, etc. The Elantra GT was never really a "sporty" trim...more like a "Euro" or upscale trim.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Only a fool would pay list for a Maxx or an Elantra. I paid $16K for a Maxx, with loyalty and a GM card it would be closer to $13K. Great car, BTW, as was my Elantra.

Chevy seems to have a much more low-key, more professional dealer group than Hyundai, maybe because of the Saturn experience. Local Hyundai dealer has gotten progressively cheesier since I bought one in '01. They also sell Nissans, VW's and Suzukis.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    or even the Spectra sedan both look sportier and more attractive than the Hyundai Elantra.

npaladin2000 describes the difference very well between the two Korean compacts. The Elantra does seem to have a "Euro" trim to it, not bad looking, but not as sporty as Spectra or Spectra5. I kind of have a long-term eye on a blue Spectra5 or a new world order Sportage to trade my '01 Sportage in on AAMOF. The '01's engine is purring like a top and everything else is holding up well, though,(including those 92,150 mile OEM Hankoook SUV tires)so no trading in needed for a good while yet. Plenty of time to research for fun.

It seems like a re-design might be due for the Hyundai Elantra. backy, is this in the works as I type this post out?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yes, the trade press says the new Elantra is due in late '05 as a '06 model.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    Right now at ANY Ford dealer you can get a 05 Focus for $4,500 off MSRP. That in my opinion is a great deal, a ZX4 SES sedan with Auto , Side Airbags,ABS will cost you $14,200. I know because I just bought two of them.
    That is a great deal for a Focus with that equipment. Not the lowest out there, e.g. two Elantra GLS 5-doors with Auto, SABs, and ABS/traction would run about $12.5k each for two, but still a lot of car for the money.
    is thinking about bringing the Matiz to America, if gas prices continue to escalate. That is Daewoo's entry level car, officials are not totally sure they will but they reason that even though economy cars don't normally do well here soaring gas prices will get Americans thinking differently.

BTW-I am very open to looking at Hyundai Elantra's. I was as far as taking a 1999 Hyundai Elantra out for an "extended" test drive-I liked it and my wife nixed the deal. It was that copper colored automatic '99 that Hyundai called some shade of red. I am interested in their re-design coming up. There is a lot of value in that car, indeed. Getting a car packed with so much like that for only $12,500 is incredible. Viva HyunKia!

You want post-redesign, you could look at the Spectra now. If memory serves, that one is the next-gen Elantra platform.
    is probably what I would get next, or a Scion tC, if I were to trade in now for a new car. It would probably come down to the Spectra5 and the Scion tC head to head.

We are digging our '01 Sportage 4x4 and it's running like a champ, so my interest is purely my own brand of car craziness, that only seems to be getting worse! Tread on!

BTW-we'd probably really get one of the new Sportage's, either Volcanic Red or Smart Blue color, 2WD and 5-speeds! We love our compact Sportage SUV!

It's not definite that the Spectra is based on the "new" Elantra platform. I've never seen anything from a reliable source that stated that the Spectra has the new platform. If you know of such a source, please share it.
    reading a Hyundai release yet that states platform information for the brand new Elantra to be built. I think that what paladin was stating was that the current(new) Spectra uses the same platform as the current(new) Elantra, but not the "brand new" '06 Elantra in the works.

No, actually, I heard somewhere that it, just like the new Tuscon and Sportage, are based on some sort of new or "revised" Elantra platform.

That plus that fact that it makes little sense to release a new Elantra-based Spectra in 05, and then revise the platform for 06 in a new Elantra, while leaving everything else in the old platform.

But I'll nose around and if I can find a reference, I will.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    The Spectra5 is on a different platform than the normal Spectra, so the crash tests for the Spectra don't apply.

How about the Elantra based on the Spectra5 platform? That would seem to make more sense, as the Spectra5 has a much more sportier look and supposedly a better safety record.
    sounds reasonable that they're all sharing the same platform. The new SUV twins are car based, so, it's still making sense, eh?

Naw, the Spectra5 and 05 Spectra are on the same platform with the same engines. You might be thinking about the difference between then "old" 2004 Spectra with the 1.8L engine and the "new" 2004 Spectra, with the 2.0L Beta engine and based, apparently on some form of some generation Elantra platform ;)

Incidentally, Edmund's summary of the Spectra for the "new" 04 model calls it an "all new platform," however, Consumerguide states that the new Spectra is "Based on the Elantra platform of corporate parent Hyundai," so is it a new platform, an Elantra platform, or an all-new Elantra platform?
    Exactly! It is that kind of muddle from the trade press that has me confused about the parentage of the Spectra platform. Maybe there will be more clarity when the new Elantra debuts, e.g. "The '06 Elantra is based on a new chassis that is shared with the Kia Spectra, Hyundai Tucson, and Kia Sportage"--or not.
    to this question by just going over the huge accumulation of automotive material we all constantly porage through. Agreed?

One of us will find a bookmarked article or a brochure or whatever and we'll get this answer if we persevere.

even applies here.

The 57, 58 and 59 Chevys were all distinct cars built on frames, obviously they were different platforms.

I'm not sure whether Kia/Hyundai may not be on a continuous improvement curve with slight changes made to the Spectra and then further tweaks made to the next Elantra. At least the change in the next Elantra looks evolutionary in stead of revolutionary.

The Sonata, on the other hand, looks like a much larger change, although I'm not sure whether I like it's much more genericjapanese look better than the present one.
    about the '06 Elantra. It kind of sounds like it will get a brand new platform, but how much will be different isn't always shared with the general public. I know that my '01 Sportage has a ladder frame that Kia got an assist in building by Ford Motor Company. They were very fair about sharing that "assist from Fo-Mo-Co" information. We'll get our answer within days, maybe hours on the '06 Elantra frame question.

I think this new '06 Sonata looks awesome, it really has a nice flow from front to back on it. That is one reason I love this new Scion tC so much. It flows so beautifully from front to back. I think it's an adorable little hatchback.

That's just it, there's no frame. Therefore actual engineering of the car can just kind of morph.
    iluv, I have been searching for this information since the "new" '04 Spectra was announced, but nothing definitive (i.e. no clear statement from Kia or Hyundai, or from a reputable third party). If you can find something, please let us know.
    backy.

• lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone seen the new Kia Rio? Check it out at this link.

http://autoshow.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/103626/page043.html?tid=edmunds.e.autos- how..leftnav.44.**

I think this will become the new king of the budget sedans such as the Chevrolet Aveo, Hyundai Accent, Toyota Echo. Maybe someone should throw these cars together in a comparison test. I also hear Honda will introducue a budget sedan called the City to the US in 2007. The Honda City is already on sale all over Asia.
    A Rio/Accent comparo would be especially interesting since the new Accent is the same car as the Rio with some styling tweaks and possibly different suspension tuning. I think both cars will be tough competition for the Aveo. I don't know about the ECHO because A) it may not survive, and B) if it does survive, it will be refreshed soon--the new Yaris was just announced in Europe. The Honda Fit/Jazz (or whatever they will call it here) is supposed to be here next year. That will be the best competitor for the Rio/Accent I think, if Honda can keep the price in the same ballpark.

The small car market will be much more interesting in the next year.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I'll be looking forward to seeing the crash tests of the new Rio, this has been a big weakness for Kia up until now.
    It will be a big challenge for the 2400-pound Rio and Accent to pass that IIHS side impact test. At least Hyundai/Kia knew about it while still in the design cycle for their new little cars--probably one reason side curtains are standard; the cars would probably do miserably on that test without them.
    Nissan Micra, either. Nissan was threatening...I mean promising to bring the Micra over to the U.S.sometime this year IIRC.

By all rights a little rig like the Micra would do horribly in a side-crash IIHS test, too.

It is going to be a fun small car market right soon...this new Rio and the new Accent both look great to me. Both of them are improvements in styling IMO, I actually liked the original Rio styling better than this last little styling twist Kia gave the Rio, where it looks kind of like a Civic. This new design will be a better car for consumers hardware-wise and IMO it is the best looking Rio and Accent pair(or viewed inividually)yet. HyunKia continues to shine big time.

You raise an interesting point re the Micra. I have been wondering why Honda has waited so long to bring the Fit/Jazz over here. Could it be that they know it would have no chance of doing well in the IIHS side impact crash test, so they are waiting until a new design is available to ship it to the U.S.?
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I just bought my aveo 2004 with 5-speed and a/c and nothing else. I had mulled over buying either a accent, rio, or aveo and after a year the car that won my heart was the aveo. It was the last 2004 on the lot so I got a good price on it.
    I have check the mileage around town and I am getting 28.7-29.5, and I just drove it on a long trip and got 38.2mpg on the hiway. Yes, I have had many small cars and I know how to figure mileage. I was quite suprised by the hiway mileage and I was expecting 34-35mpg. I drove between 60-65mph. From Plano Tx. to Athens Tx. around to various family member homes in the area and back. Has anyone else got this kinda mileage on the hiway and what do the automatics get. I have a friend how wants one but cant drive a stick.
    Got just under 35mpg on a trip from LA to Mammoth and back with the automatic. Wish we had a 5spd...
    That doesnt seem like bad mileage on the automatic...how many miles have you got on it?
    5700 miles so far.

Good highway mileage aside, while sitting in 2 hours of traffic each day, this car gets 22-24mpg. I think that when driven normally, we get the posted mileage.
  • autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    and the IIHS side crash tests, does anyone know if "any" type of vehicle has scored "good" in this test? Has any vehicle scored "good" without side impact air bags? It sounds like the auto industry across the board needs to improve the side impact problem.
    I think they're just trying to get people to buy SUVs. They seem to charge more for insurance on SUVs you see ;)
    Yes, two small cars--Corolla and Cobalt--scored "good" on the IIHS side test, and several other larger cars have scored "good". As for scoring "good" without side air bags, I don't know but it's unlikely, since the side bags keep the dummies' heads from hitting the pillars and going outside the windows. The test does highlight the need for the auto industry to improve side impact protection. But consider that very few of the cars side-crash-tested by the IIHS were designed before that test was designed--it's a recent addition to the IIHS tests. So we need to give the automakers some time to adjust. In the case of the Cobalt, it appears they did just that. It and the Corolla prove it is possible to design good crash protection into a small car.
    from the Cobalt. It only gets me to wondering how the report will be on the new 2006 Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio. The Cobalt did well, notice that cost, though. $14,300 or something like that, for the low-end model. I wonder what you'll be able to snag an '06 Accent for, much less, I'll go ahead and surmise on that one.

• autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    Thanks for both replies. I didn't realize that these two cars did good. To be clear, both cars did have side air bags, right? Thanks again!
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    Cobalt and Corolla scored "acceptable" not "good" on side impact ratings, and only with the optional side curtain bags. All the others sub-compacts scored "poor".

I can get a low-end Cobalt Coupe auto for ~$14.5k and am seriously considering it.
    Check that rear seat first--it's ok if you put munchikins back there.
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    You can get the loaded Focus ZX4 SES for 14,500 and that is with auto transmission AND get a free computer.
    Or how about the ZX3 (compared to a Cobalt coupe)--more headroom in the rear, probably costs less than the 4-door, more sporty, and still the free computer? Now that Ford had improved the crash performance for the ZX3 (the rear seat used to be terrible) it can be a good buy.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You folks will enjoy this: Top 10 Least Expensive Vehicles for 2005
    That reminds me... I heard an ad the other day for an ION 1, $89/month lease, $0 down. It even had A/C I think. The ION is not a great car, but for $89 for a new car is pretty darn cheap. Hard to drive a new car for less money out of pocket these days.
    Where are they getting these car prices......not in Dallas that is for sure...lol
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Focus is a dated design by now. We should compare new euro Focus(Mazda3) to Cobalt. I haven't driven Cobalt yet but wasn't too impressed by the Focus last fall - liked Elantra better
    So if a Cobalt sold for $1,000 less than a Civic or a Corolla, would you buy it? Which one actually cost less?

Loren
    Sure, the Focus is a dated design but it still has one of the best combinations of ride and handling around. The Elantra is a dated design too--not much newer than the Focus. The Elantra had held up pretty well, but it's been eclipsed by the Mazda3. At least the Elantra will be redesigned before the U.S.-spec Focus will be.

The Cobalt drives pretty nice IMO, and has perhaps the best ride in the class. But I'd take an Elantra over the Cobalt too, for things like a usable rear seat, driver's comfort, and of course the price/features equation.