Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

1697071727375»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    thots prettie commin wuth all youzed carz nowdaze.
  • barkydogbarkydog Member Posts: 45
    So you think both the Aveo and the Yaris are terrible based upon your rental experience.

It seems to me that actually owing a vehicle makes for a more valid evaluation of it.
    Yes, but I think I can form a pretty good impression of what it's like to live with a vehicle after driving it several times for multiple days at a time in "real-world" conditions.

After you've purchased the car, it's a little late to evaluate it, isn't it?

"Terrible" might be too strong a word, especially for the Yaris. It's just that I think both are outclassed by newer designs. They are two of the oldest, if not the oldest, designs in the class right now. I prefer other cars in the class e.g. Versa, Fiesta, Fit, Accent, and Rio. But the new Sonic looks to be a big improvement over the Aveo.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    True, but I can tell you right now that after renting a particular vehicle for several days, I'm pretty certain about whether it's a vehicle I'd consider purchasing, or one that is off my list. A few days of renting isn't sufficient to provide a comprehensive review on which others may make a decision, but it sure is enough for me.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

"After you've purchased the car, it's a little late to evaluate it, isn't it? "

No, I did my homework before buying and I was not disappointed. After owning an Aveo for a year and a half and 8000 miles, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

The way most rental cars are used and abused, I wouldn't base a decision solely upon that experience.

I test drove the Yaris, the Fit and the Aveo, all of which are comparable, before buying an Aveo 5. For a variety of reasons the Aveo was the best choice for what I wanted and expected of a small economic car for basic transportation. I could tell you specifics about what I considered deficiencies in the other models, but this is an Aveo forum. Besides, I don't owe you or anyone an explanation. Apparently you came here only to criticize the Aveo, but not in any specific way.

When you bring up the "out-classed" argument you sound just like a car magazine reviewer. Are you one, or just a parroting 'wanna-be'? Sure, the Aveo is not the newest, nor the latest design with all the fancy bells and whistles. You sound preoccupied with "class" and novelty (newness).

But not all of us want the latest and the most sophisticated model on the market. If we simply want a 'plain vanilla' car at a low price (possibly at a price much lower than the other offerings) what's so bad about that?
    edited May 2011
    I obviously touched a nerve. But let's try to keep it about the cars and not personal jibes, OK?

I've found it's useful to see how a car holds up under hard use as a rental car. If the car is rattle free and drives smoothly, and everything still works, after 30-40k miles as a rental, that's a good sign. But some rental cars seem worn out after only 20k miles. One of the Aveos I drove was like that. A couple others were nearly new.

Since you demand specifics as to why I think the Aveo is outclased, here's some:

Saftety: How many cars today don't have side curtain airbags? How many don't have standard ABS? The Aveo doesn't have either. In fact, ABS isn't even available except on the LT trims. Most small cars today even have stability control standard, at least on some trims. It's not available at any price on the Aveo.

Power: Trails the Versa, Fiesta, and new Accent and Rio to name a few.

Fuel Economy: Despite having only 108 hp, the Aveo isn't that great in FE (27/35), trailing the Yaris, Fiesta, Accent, and Rio, and trailing even some larger cars.

Interior quality: It improved over the years but is behind the best in class, i.e. Fiesta, Accent, and Rio.

Ride quality: Some small cars such as the Versa, Fiesta, Accent and Rio have a smooth, comfortable ride for a small car. Aveo doesn't. (Note the comment about ride on Accent and Rio is re the 2006-11 models; I haven't driven the 2012s yet.)

Sorry it bothers you that I use terms like "outclassed." I think it's accurate. It doesn't mean "class" in the way you implied--it means the class of car the Aveo is in i.e. B-class. I am not pre-occupied with "newness" (heck, I buy mostly used cars). I would like to get the most for my money though. If I could find a car with better safety, power, fuel economy, ride quality, and interior quality than the Aveo for about the same money, I'd have to look past the Aveo.

But understand I am not attacking your personal decision on a car or anyone else's. I am simply stating my opinion of a car... which is what this forum is all about.

BTW, this is NOT an "Aveo forum". This discussion is about all the low-end cars, including the Aveo.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    You've obviously not been in these forums very long or you would have known that Backy gives the best car reviews bar none here in Edmunds. Too be rude on your part in here is totally unacceptable...we, as a group, all treat each other with dignity & respect...you are way out of line here! His opinions are his and yours are yours...let's leave it at that! And last I looked, this isn't the Aveo forum.

Backy is a very well respected & knowledgeable poster and has been for years...all his reviews are as professional as many magazines and I would hope you would apologize for the nastiness of your post! You rock Backy!!

A long time Edmunds member, I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Let's just all calm down here. No big deal. One person likes a vehicle, another person would never buy that same vehicle. What's new?

It isn't personal in any way apart from the fact that it's a personal preference for certain vehicles, features, qualities, etc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

if you re-read my post you will see that I did not "demand specifics as to why... the Aveo is outclased (sic)." You took the opportunity to provide a long list to support your position.

It matters a lot to you whether a car is outclassed. You want the latest features and the more of them, the better. Car reviewers assume that everyone should want that above all else.

Some of us don't want all those things. Some of us want just the basics at the lowest price possible. An Aveo can often be purchased new for thousands less than others in its "class".

So my rhetorical question still stands: What's so bad about wanting that?
    edited May 2011
    You pretty much did "demand" that I provide specifics:

Apparently you came here only to criticize the Aveo, but not in any specific way.

So I tried to oblige you.

It does matter to me a lot how a car compares to others in its class. If one car stands above others in its class, yet is comparably priced to the others, that is a good thing in my mind. If OTOH one car trails others in its class in significant ways, especially multiple significant ways, then one way to express that is that the car is "outclassed" by others.

I do want the best possible safety, economy, comfort, reliability, and performance in the cars I buy, relative to how much I am willing to pay. It does take "features" to provide those things, e.g. full complement of airbags, ABS/ESC, modern engine management like CVVT and maybe GDI, 6-speed transmissions, nicely-trimmed interiors etc.

For people who want a basic car at the lowest price possible, I think the Aveo is a great choice in a new car. It's one of the few cars that can still be purchased new for under $10k. There's nothing "bad" in wanting that, and I never said there was. It's simply that you and I look at car buying differently. It appears you would rather buy new even if it means getting a very basic car, for a low price. My preference would be to get a better-equipped car by buying one that is slightly used, for the same money. As I said before, I tend to buy mostly used these days (since 2004 anyway), except I did lease a 2010 Sentra last year only because it offered a very low payment with zero out of pocket, which is what I was looking for at the time.

Would you care to share with us how you made your decision for the Aveo over the other cars you drove? Maybe others would find that useful in their new car hunt.
    Your question about why I chose the Aveo is a fair one, so I will try to provide an answer. Before I do however, I must note that your initial assessment is that of it being "quite possibly the worst car currently offered by anyone in the USA" and a "penalty box", and as compared to a Yaris as being "(W)orse. Much worse." That's undeservedly harsh.

Before buying I test drove and compared it with a Yaris and a Fit, all 2009 models. The Yaris was comparable in all the dimensions of usable space and size. The ride was very similar. However the Yaris' interior was like a bad joke. I have owned three other Toyotas that I loved, but everything about the Yaris' interior was absurd. For starters, putting a speedometer in the center of the dashboard is idiotic, there were virtually no gauges, and there were many more inconvenient features of the interior design. I did not feel comfortable driving it and that alone was reason to reject it - not to mention that it cost much more than a similarly equipped Aveo did. Ironically price was no object for me, but I won't overpay just to have brand recognition. IMHO, the Fit was no better for me, in that it had a glitzy interior that had many trendy accessories that I didn't want or need. The supposedly more spacious interior wasn't what it was touted to be; I saw no real advantage to it. The EPA ratings on the others (Rio and Accent) was no better than Aveo; on the Versa it is considerably worse. I didn't bother with either of the former as they are also Korean and the Accent isn't made as a 5 door.

I do my own routine service such as oil changes. Try crawling under a Honda to get to the oil filter. The Aveo is very easy to service and the filter is right under the hood. The others don't have a stainless exhaust system. Aveo does, and it's one less thing to need to replace early on. I've been driving for 40 years. I don't need things like ABS brakes or baby seat securing convenience or accommodation for computer gadgetry.

Apparently the early Aveos were poorly designed and made, but I've never driven one so I'll accept that as a fact. I simply compared the 2009 to others in the same model year and category and found it to be favorably comparable. I judged it on that basis, not a prejudicial one.

My Aveo5 is used for a short daily commute and for local shopping. It doesn't need to ride like a Caddy or accelerate like a Corvette. Fit and finish is absolutely excellent - as good as I've ever seen and every bit as good as the Japanese competition. The interior layout was so much better than the others that I actually enjoy driving it, even though it is a cheap econobox.

Is it the best car ever made? No, but it serves its purpose, and at a price lower than the competition. IMHO, it's a better value, depending on your needs.

But it hardly deserves being derided, either.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited May 2011
    you stick up for your automotive principles and I respect that. I've been in your shoes...I bought an "early" Kia sedan imported here called the Sephia. It was a whopping total of $7,995. No radio or A/C. 5-speed stick worked pretty well. Pretty bare bones rig. I bought the car in May of 1999 and in early 2001 I took tax return money and bought some Konig Diva wheels and Yokohoma all-season 70,000 mile radials. You wanna talk about a fun ta drive, rig. Loving music like I do of course I had to get an AM/FM/cassette player (no CD player required for this dude) and voila! Rock and roll at decent quality and decent sound (my Sephia already had speakers and wiring in place, but no stereo installed in the dash!!) I remembered the salesman telling me this and found it money-saving and rather peculiar. But now it rocked-literally. Turn up the Foghat, dudes!

This car was a great little car. I would come on here on Edmunds and talk it up. Smash! Pow! What a fool! Kia? Who are they? BAM!

KABOOM! What an idiot! He bought a Kia Sephia....yea-haa-hhaaa-haa-haa. Might as well been talking to a bunch of stepping rock pads on here...no one agreed with me on this one. Well, almost no one.

There were a few of us...I talked the brand up at The Boeing Company's Everett Airplane Division where I worked. My friend from the Skagit Valley had a white '99 Sephia with the 5-speed like mine and his was pulling low 30's per gallon like my violet mist Sephia was in our 45-mile commutes down south to the Everett plant. He said his Sephia was "all right and got the job done."

I thought even better things about my Sephia. I saw a car from a carmaker that was not going to hide it's head in the sand and run. Sure enough, when inquiring of some from South Korea about Sephia clubs the word was "yes of course we have Sephia owner's clubs!" I figured as much.

So I have an idea where you're comin' from, barkydog. I've barked up that same kind of tree as you before. Stand your ground. I recommend purchasing a plastic Revell model of your rig and making it and displaying it proudly. Doesn't that sound like fun? :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

edited May 2011
    Thanks for sharing your perspective. I agree with a lot of points you made, particularly on the Yaris' interior. I hate the center-mounted gauges also, and I think some of the controls esp. the HVAC controls are cheap-feeling. The Yaris also is sluggish with the automatic. I do like the relatively smooth ride of the Yaris, and it has decent rear seat room in the 4-doors, or with the rear seat pushed all the way back in the 2-door. I also like the standard 6 airbags and ABS + ESC in the newer Yarii. When the Yaris first came out, even ABS was hard to find--kinda like on the Aveo now. I have to give Toyota credit for putting those safety features standard on even its lowest-priced car.

On the Fit, I like the handling and the interior versatility. It really does hold a lot of stuff for its size. But I found the rear seat, especially behind the driver (feet cramped because of fuel tank under floor) uncomfortable. Also the driving position isn't real comfy for me, and I think some controls on the dash have a cheap feel. I did seriously look at the base Fit AT back in the fall of 2008, when the redesign came out, but decided to go used instead (a 328Ci, to ease my mid-life crisis... didn't have it long but it was fun while I had it).

I stand by my opinions on the Aveo. I do think its the worst car currently offered in the U.S., for the reasons I listed. That is more because small cars have improved a lot since the current Aveo was designed about ten years ago than the Aveo being an absolutely terrible car. For basic transportation at a low price, it's just fine. It just doesn't compare well, IMO, to more recent designs. I expect the next-gen Aveo, the Sonic, to be much more competitive. FWIW, I own a car designed over ten years ago, a 2004 Elantra. It's a competent car and has held up very well, and back in 2004 it was competitive in its class. But it pales in comparison to the new Elantra and other compact cars available today.

But you made the best choice for you, and that's what it's all about.
    I agree with you on your assessment of the Chevrolet Aveo. Chevy just didn't put the time in to keeping Aveo current, and they don't want to spend the money on it. Hopefully the Sonic is enamored with more up-to-date merchandise.

But it pales in comparison to the new Elantra and other compact cars available today.

You know
    Accent and Lancer and Sonic and Yaris,
    Rio and Scion and Forte and Focus,
    but do you recall
    the least pricey small car of all?

Versa, the smallest Nissan,
    has a very pleasing price
    but if you'd ever drive one
    you wouldn't think it's quite so nice.

All of the other small cars
    used to laugh and call him names;
    they never let poor Versa
    join them driving down the lanes.

During the recession of twenty-eleven,
    Santa came to say,
    "Versa, with your price so light,
    Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"

Then all his owners loved him,
    and they shouted out with glee,
    "Versa, you have a low price,
    almost but not quite free!"
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    What does that Versa get for mileage? My 09 Yaris with automatic got 42-44 mpg at 60 mph on a trip to Alaska this summer. In northern Canada gas was ~ $7 a gallon including 10 cents American to by a Kanuck dollar.
    30/38 for CVT, 27/36 for the manual, on the 2012 sedan according to the EPA.

If the Versa does as well in real-world FE as my 2010 Sentra (with the CVT and a larger engine), I'd expect the Versa to easily get low-to-mid-40s mpg on the highway at 60 mph, which is in the sweet spot for most cars for high FE. My Sentra will top 40 mpg at 60 mph on the highway, and it's only rated 34 mpg highway by the EPA. The CVT is very low revving. On my Sentra it's just a hair over 2000 RPM at 70 mph.

While Nissan improved the FE for the 2012 Versa sedan and kept its roomy back seat, from all reports I've seen the car is a big disappointment otherwise, probably worst in class now that the Aveo is gone and the Accent and Rio are all new and much improved. I'll probably get to drive the new Versa a few times next year as I often get Versas as rentals, then I'll be able to see if it's really as bad as the reviews make it out to be. I've driven the new Accent and Rio and looked at the Sonic and Fiesta and Yaris. They can't match the Versa in rear seat room, but most of them have enough for me.
    if it was between a 2012 Kia Rio sedan and a 2012 Nissan Versa sedan which one would you pick? Also, are the 2012 Kia Rio and 2012 Hyundai Accent pretty close in build and handling and performance to you, since you've driven both of them?

I'd take the Rio sedan, based on what I've seen of the Rio5. Are the 2012 Rio sedans out yet? I haven't seen any on dealer lots yet. The hatches have been out for awhile. The redesigned Versa hatch isn't out yet either... due in 2012.

Between the Rio5 and Accent, I prefer the Accent based on ride (Accent's was smoother), interior styling, and cargo room. But I've taken the Accent off my shopping list because it didn't score that great in the IIHS crash tests, while other hatches I'm looking at (Mazda3, Impreza, Focus, Golf) did. Maybe by the time I'm ready to buy, Hyundai will fix that.
    edited December 2011
    Great little car and my daughter loves her light blue car. The front seats are great for me, as they are comfortable and I can just slide over. Some little warranty issues which have been taken care of with no fuss. Can't wait to see the new hatch also. And I'd be happy to own this as my d d as it does almost everything right! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Have you taken a look at the new sedan? Would be interested to see what you think of it compared to the old Versa--if it's a step down or step up.
    Personally, I don't like the interior much...a bit low rent for me. But for someone who needs a new car with decent room for a low price, it's a good alternative and new is new, the warranty is a good thing to have. I like the old dash layout better but the seats in our hatch are far superior. The exterior is pretty modern but bland Japanese...nothing to far out here. Hopefully the hatch will address some of the sedans short comings as Nissan does make a good product overall. And ours has had 100% reliability which means a lot. Personally, I'd step up to a Sentra as it's a better car. The SL trim is a real sleeper in the new car market. Great comfy seats though the interior is over due for a complete redo. And hopefully the outside mirrors will be redone for 2013 with full ones and not the curved off one's they have now. But I'd still but a current Sentra over a Ford Focus hands down!

edited December 2011
    good question, I sure haven't seen a 12 Kia Rio sedan out anywhere yet. I've only seen one '12 Rio hatch and it was on some guys flatbed truck being hauled! Looked great, it was a medium blue one.

I just saw my first Chevy Volt on the road, at least the first one that I was fully conscious of seeing. I have seen one at Dave Smith Chevrolet here in Kellogg, ID, being charged up in the freezing cold outside. They are such a non-descript looking car that I've probably seen one somewhere or two of them but never knew it and thought it was a Cruze or a Malibu. At least in defense of Chevy it means their brand "language" seems to be working fine for them. Actually, it's the design "guts" of the Chevy Volt I'm more impressed with. That car has some seriously new engineering built in to it that I find interesting...the "green" part of it, I mean. The little gas engine inside that automatically kicks on and fires up a generator that sends power to your wheels electrically after your 40 miles of electricity are up...I find it fascinating. Makes for a total Volt range of what...450-500 miles or something like that. Not bad.

• hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Backy:
    I want to thank you for your research on the Accent. I was ready to sign the paperwork on a 2012 Accent SE hatchback. Luckily I stayed up most of the night before researching the heck out of it. The poor IIHS crash scores ended up meaning higher insurance rates for the Accent. I gave my insurance agent 2 cars to run, the Accent SE Hatch and a Fiesta SE Hatch. The fiesta was $380 a year and the Accent was $680 a year. my agent was even shocked. I told him the only real difference was the Fiesta is a top IIHS safety pick but the Accent did not do well in the side impact test. I am picking my Fiesta up tomorrow. I love this site.
    Congrats on your new car to start the new year! I like a lot about the Fiesta but the rear seat is too tight for my needs. I am disappointed about the Accent's relatively poor showing in the IIHS tests. I was leaning to the Accent SE hatch with 6MT as the top choice for my next car, as it has everything I need for a reasonable price. But now I'll be focusing (no pun intended) on cars with better crash protection such as the Focus SE hatch, Mazda3 Skyactiv hatch, and Impreza Premium hatch. Maybe the Elantra GLS 6MT also, but I prefer a hatch. Another route I might take is get a low-mileage used car with a certified warranty, which would cost even less than a new Accent SE... something like a Golf 5MT 4-door perhaps.

But I am hoping Hyundai improves the crash safety of the Accent before I buy in mid-2013. I have seen them make running changes to cars for better crash safety before, e.g. the mods they did on the 2010 Elantra in late 2009 to improve side crash safety. Hopefully Hyundai won't wait that long (3+ years into the model run) to improve the Accent.