Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Sorry to disappoint you, but the next gen Neon will be based on the Lancer. At least as far as the platform goes. DC is letting Mitsu develop the platform on a couple of their cars.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    It's a good looking piece.Just sort of disappointed the majors are farming out their work instead of doing it in-house.I think it causes the character of a car to blur. But then I'm old fashioned, I guess.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    on their own. It's not sad as much as it is true. All the more reason to cling to a good looking, well-built Kia or Hyundai, dudes. Now they deliver.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Not being able to come up with a design on their own is not the reason one car maker lets another car maker do the design work. Has to do with saving money and sharing costs.

Anyway, Mitsu is providing the platform. I believe the skin will be different.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    Your Sephia has more Mazda in it than Kia...
    it's true they received input from Mazda on the engine. It's designed by Kia, though. The suspension is from Lotus and the manual tranny is from Getrag of Germany. Pretty impressive components making up this little beauty, eh? Come on, hardcores, admit it! You love the looks of Sephia but you're too prideful to admit it! Got'ya!!! Uuuppp!

• tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    You might have better results talking to your nearest brick wall. Iluv has stated several times in the past that he doesnt agree with Consumer Retorts (his words i believe.)
    Anyway, larry did you happen to get your protoge's at lancaster toyota mazda? My wife and I got our Civic at Jones Honda right down Rt 72 from lancaster toy-maz. You are right about one thing, the lancaster area korean auto dealers definatly cater to those with credit troubles. one peice of advice to you never buy a new nissan from lancaster nissan. they still try to pull that old dealer stunt with add on packages. pin stripes undercoating, adn other crap that just lines the dealers pockets. Boy do i miss living in lancaster.

Kyle
    Don't forget that the Sephia rides on an 11 year old Mazda 323/Protege platform. Mazda got rid of that years ago. Gee, Lotus-tuned suspension. Like the Isuzu Impulse? And Getrag transmission. Hmmm, oh that's right. Pontiac Sunfire's use the same ones. Actually, they use a Getrag Type 287 5-spd transversely mounted manual transmission. Here's a list of the other vehicles that use that transmission: Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Grand Am, Pontiac Sunfire, and Oldsmobile Alero. Gee, I wish I could say my car shared parts with those world-class automobiles. I'm jealous!!

Let's see, Kelsey Hayes did the ABS work. Bosch did the fuel system work. Mazda did the chassis and engine work. Lotus did the suspension work. Getrag did the transmission work. Did Kia do anything at all? Weren't you just saying that a company is sad if they can't design their own vehicles? Well then, I guess you own a car from a very sad company.
    I can see why you chose the Pro ES over a civic Lx. Now an EX maybe thats a little closer to the ES, but anyway I digress. WE got our Civic in 1998 and the protoge wasnt the same one it is today. Our salesperson was ERic Shellhammer but he was really one of the Pontiac sales staff before they brought buick into the dealership. This will probably be our last honda as Im trying to get the wife into a subaru Forrester adn it seems to be working. Myself I am looking at a Subaru WRX when the loan on my truck is up in 2003.

On a different subject I lived in Lancaster for about seven years. six of those years were attending one of the local universities (Millersville). Lancaster is a great little city with a pretty good night life. The wife and I moved to Media, Delaware County in 1999. We get back to Lancaster every once in a while since some family is there adn when we visit friends in the area.

One thing i find as good with these dealerships offering cars to "credit bandits" is that it enables these people to establish good credit again. Ok thats enough for now Happy motoring!

Kyle
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In case anyone ever wondered what the letters in automaker's names stand for, here are the translations for most of the low-end car brands:

CHEVROLET
    Can Hear Every Valve Rap on Long Extended Trips
    Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
    Cheap Heap, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Each Time
    Condition Hopeless, Entire Vehicle Relies on Leftover Engine Technology

DODGE
    Drips Oil, Drops Grease Everywhere
    Dem Old Dudes Go Everywhere
    Dead or Dying Gas Eater
    Dear Old Dad's Geriatric Express

FORD
    First on Recall Day
    First on Rust and Deterioration
    Fix Or Repair Daily
    Found On Road, Dead
    Fault of R&D
    Fast Only Rolling Downhill

HONDA
    Had One, Never Did Again

HYUNDAI
    Hope You Understand Nothing's Driveable And Inexpensive!

MAZDA
    Most Always Zoom-zooming Dangerously Along

TOYOTA
    Too Often Yankees Overprice This Auto
    i think that a 2-3 year old accord will be out of his price range unless he can locate a stripped DX. the elantra sounds fine to me. i am impressed by how far hyundai has come in a few short years namely with this new elantra.if 12-14K is all he has to play with hte elantra could be his salvation. on hte other hand a 2-3 year old civic would fit there too even a 1-2 year old civic
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    With the utmost respect, iluvmysephia1, I'd like to slap the heck out of you. Kias and Hyundais are built no better than a Honda or Toyota. But wait! Before you start jumping all over my cause...I must say that I DO like the Elantra. It has good styling, price, and can be very appealing with that warranty...but I'd wait to see how well Hyundai has improved, which I believe it has over the years. But....the reason for this post is to diss the Daewoos. I was going down the interstate southward into Cincinnati and there was a fairly new (less than 2 years old), shiny, red Daewoo car near us. All of a sudden...this smoke came out everywhere. It was 2 lanes to the right of us. I was like "whoa!" I tried to see what kind of car it was and where the smoke was coming from...as I did not know the car make before I saw the smoke. The driver pulled off onto the shoulder of the interstate...which allowed me to see what kind of car...it was clearly a Daewoo from the front. Anyway...I had to check which kind it was that way...because the back was completely unvisible from the smoke. Smoke was shot 10 feet in the air and all around...no exaggeration! Looked almost like it came from the right front tire area....but then it could have came from somwhere else and leaked out that way. i would just die if my car did that going down the interstate. Poor guy. That should teach him not to buy any more Korean cars, or Daewoo at least.
  • dweezildweezil Member Posts: 271
    make of car has broken down by the side of the road or caught on fire.....? Definitely a serious indictment on Daewoo.....................
    OK, how about some positive comments about Kia for a change? I will nominate them as the Styling Champ for the Low-End Market. Why would I do this? (I am completely sober.) Consider these credentials:

Rio sedan - sharp little car, cute even (if that's what you like), especially for $8000. Nothing else quite like it in the low-end market.

Rio Cinco - New 2002 model, maybe the best looking little wagon out there, with swoopy lines.

Spectra - I just saw what must be a 2002 Spectra on the freeway. This is a sharp-looking car! I approached it from the rear, and it looks a lot like a Taurus or even a Jaguar S-class from the back (Ford influence showing?), which I don't think is a bad thing at all. The side view is a little more curvy than most new models today, kind of ubiquitous but unoffensive. The front was sharp also, with a chromed slotted grille ala Optima but smaller and more classy IMO--think Civic with chrome, with nicer headlights.

Optima - The grill is overdone I think and the rear end somewhat reminicent of a Corsica (or some may say BMW), but overall a nice effort. A bit of a stretch for the Low-End market, but since they sell for under $15K I slipped it in.

Sephia - well, er, let's just say the Sephia is overdue for a restyle. Although some people really like it, even love it. And with the demise of the Contique/Mystour it's the closest thing to those cars styling-wise.

Now let's look at the competition:

Chevrolet - Cavalier: was a nice design, in 1994. Chevy needs to learn it's OK to redo small car designs more than once every decade. Prizm: bland, generic Japanese-small-car styling, awful C-pillar.

Daewoo - well, it's a little hard to comment on styling 'cause it's hard to see what they look like with all the smoke billowing around them. ;)

Dodge Neon - not bad, but looks like every other Dodge sedan--no individuality. A "Mini-Me" for the Intrepid.

Ford - ZX2: not bad, for the mid-90s. Focus: definitely a love-it-or-hate-it style. At least it's original. A little too weird for me.

Honda Civic - bland, generic Japanese small-car-styling; 2 door is not bad but Mitsubishi already did it five years ago with the Mirage.

Hyundai - Accent: kind of stubby, looks like a large car that shrunk in the washer. Elantra: good looking car (well of course, I own one), but some hints of Impala in front and side details. Sonata (does sell for well under $15k): Jaguaresque, but getting a little dated. 2002 restyle looks good in pics, but I have not seen it close-up.

Mitsubishi Lancer - is it me or does it look like they tried to graft the front end of a Lexus LS400 onto a compact car?

Nissan Sentra - bland, generic Japanese small-car styling, with a gosh-awful rear.

Saturn SL - Like Chevy, Saturn needs to learn that it's OK to restyle their small cars more than once a decade.

Suzuki Esteem - like the Accent, looks like they shrunk a big car, but at least it's a little rounder than the Accent.

Toyota - Echo: love-it-or-hate-it styling. I happen to hate it (in a face-scrunching way). Corolla: see Prizm.
    I just have to read about 5 or 6 jealous people's posts then someone who's actually using their brain will post and compliment Kia. Kia and Hyundai rule the automotive world!!!! Yeah!!!!! No other car comes even remotely close for looks and value for the buck. Glad we all agree. That's nice!

Kia may have some good looking cars, but for best value for the buck I'll still take the Elantra GLS. I don't think you can beat its combination of performance and features for what it's selling for these days, often under $11k for the base model, and in some places a lot less (even under $10k). IMO the Accent and Rio are about tied for value for the LOWEST bucks--not a bad set of entry-level wheels for under $8k, and I've seen the Accent 2dr as low as $7k.
  • bluffhousebluffhouse Member Posts: 33
    With Daewoo dealerships no longer run by Daewoo, the fire could have been caused by a shoddy mechanic. My Leganza has over 50,000 mi is about three years old and still hasn't self destructed like on Mission Impossible. I've cars of a lot of makes and models go up in flames over the years. The only ones I can't blame mechanics on are Fords. They seem to have a history of burning.
    On the Daewoo's, they have aluminum oil pans that seem to need a new drain plug washer every oil change, otherwise they leak. Maybe somebody went cheap and caused and oil leak that contacted the exhaust or something. Or maybe they didn't install the oil filter properly.
    Either way I wouldn't jump to conclusions on Daewoo's quality. They are a notched above almost anything on quality. How many cars come with factory undercoating? Every part weights slightly more than the others. This is why a Daewoo is heavier than all the other cars in it's size class. Many times when parts are made slightly heavier, they will last many time longer. Even the motor block is made extra thick. They use a motor very similar to a Saturn, except they redesigned it and beefed up the block to minimize the NVH (noise vibration harshness) levels. Other makers like Honda accomplish this by using a counter balance shaft. I'll take the extra metal any day. The extra metal is what will add to the life expectency.
    With Honda's reliability record, perhaps less metal is better... LOL

Mazda achieves the same affect by using a two piece block design. The block halves are cast at the center of the crankshaft channel. Instead of having half of the main bearings in the block and half bolted on, they have both main bearings incorporated into the block halves. Once bolted together, the structure is much more rigid than bolted-on main bearings for less NVH. Also, NVH is further reduced because of the crankshaft's higher position in the block.

Kia and Hyunda rule the automotive world? Um, maybe the low-end automotive world. But, aren't they the only two players in the low-end automotive world? I think the NHTSA needs to issue a recall on the Kia Sephia. Apparently, there is exhaust entering the cabin...
    So I guess that ILUV thinks that anyone who does not automatically fall down and worship a Kia Sephia is jealous? ROFL.
    And there you have it!
    What in the world could this be? Oh my gosh, look what three compact cars were rated highest in initial quality for 2001! http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/images/0113bfull.gif
  • bjfrank42bjfrank42 Member Posts: 51
    Recalls for low end cars (none for 2002 yet)

2000 2001
    Mazda Protege 1 1
    Honda Civic 0 2
    Kia Sephia 0 0
    Kia Spectra 0 0
    Kia Rio n/a 0
    Toyota Corolla 0 0
    Toyota Echo 1 0
    Hyundai Accent 1 0
    Hyundai Elantra 1 1
    Nissan Sentra 0 1

and for anyone who says that this doesn't distinguish between major and minor recalls, neither does the JD Power and Associates ratings.
    If a Honda Civic has had 2 recalls, wouldn't it's JD Power initial quality number have to be at least 200. I would consider a recall a problem. There would have to be a least 200 problems per 100 cars. I believe their number was lower than that. Makes me question the validity of the JD Power survey.
    There are a couple of explanations as to why the recalls did or did not affect a car's score in the J.D. Power's survey.

The first is that a surveyed vehicle was not subject to the recall. The 2000 Echo recall only affected about 4500 cars in certain cold weather states. This limits the chances that the a J.D. Powers survey respondent had that problem. And yes, I would consider it a problem.

The other explanation may be that a recall may have come after the survey was turned in. Perhaps that explains the Civic not having a higher problem average.

And Frank, it is just that an average. A car scores an average of X problems per 100 cars. Perhaps some cars were the subject of recalls at the time of the survey and they did report the problem to J.D. Powers, but not all the owners' cars were subject to the recall so this kept the average low. Without knowing more about the J.D. Powers survey, it is just a lot of speculation.

It is true that Frank's post and J.D. Powers' survey don't distinguish between major and minor problems, but the the site that Frank culled the numbers from does have more information.

Anyone interested in a car new or used would be wise to go to that site http://www.nhtsa.gov and research the car they are interested in.

and a major superiority complex to claim that Kia makes some phenomenal amazing car. They make cheap transportation that usually does it's job.
    The main bearings. Most of the NVH is generated from the combustion chamber. There the more metal the better. If a motor had inherent main bearing problems like the Lexus motors that seem to leak oil from the rear mains, maybe a solid main bearing bore would be usful. Do you figure drag racers would prefer thicker blocks? The "AA" fueler motors are mill from a solid chunk of metal.
    Also, if the crank is positioned higher on the block, this must mean the connecting rods are shorter. Normally longer rods are more desirable because direct the force vector more linear to the piston travel, resulting in a smoother and mor powerful motor.
    None the less, thicker more robust parts will usually provide more years of service. Take a radiator tank, the Toyotas are so then you can expect it to crack before 100,000 mi. Many times this will result in motor damage due to overheating.
    I figured that was the reason why the JD Power ratings did not include recalls. I just like to throw out ideas every so often just to get people to think.

If someone was told that they could have car "A" which will average 1.5 minor problems immediately after delivery and 2 recalls over the next year or car "B" which will average 2.5 problems and no recalls, I believe everyone would take car "B".
    Well surprise..car "A" is the Honda Civic and car "B" is the Kia or the Toyota. But give someone a choice by brand name and they will probably take the Honda over the Kia. Guess brand name and reputation take precedence over actual statistics.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    And it is a fact of life that Toyota has the BEST reputation for well built, reliable cars. The Korean built cars may be good now, but too many people remember the UGLY experiences either they or a friend had with Kia, Hyundai, Daewoo, etc. (or a clone built by one of these and sold under a US brand name).
    That is why the Toyota ECHO is the MOST attractive new sedan for many people. The great comfort, visibility, space, performance, and fuel economy of the ECHO just reinforces Toyota superiority in the sedan market.
    It is not as easy as you seem to think people will find it. How major are the "problems?" A car could have a major problem, but that problem not rise to the level of a recall.

Just knowing the number of problems and the number of recalls, my answer would be neither. I would not choose a car without knowing a whole lot more.
    The main advantage of the two piece block design (used in racing for years) is that the block is more rigid and the crankshaft support is stronger. This reduces low frequency noise, which is unpleasant and produces vibration. The Mazda K series 2.5L DOHC V6 is still one of the smoothest and most quiet V6's available. It is also the lightest and most compact for its displacement. Very thin walls are used in the aluminium block to save weight and increase engine cooling efficiency. Compared to most engines, there is very little metal here. Yet, it is super-reliable, super-quiet, and very efficient. And this engine was developed in 1991 and still easily meets today's emissions, efficiency, and NVH standards. For super detail on Mazda's engine design, go to http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae920677/
  • MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    according to reuters and some other english publication

Re:#454

If the echo is the better car in its class, then why is the hyundai accent outselling it by 30% or more?

It is not a plasma powered mach 10 spaceship that can fly to the next galaxy they're building here

Other hyundai comapnies already have shown that it can beat the japanese at their own game

Take hyundai heavy industries for example. It tis the biggest shipbuliding company in the world.
    and that also helps korea become #1 in the world in shipbuilding(this was in a recent issue of businessweek). The koreans take about 46% of all shipbuilding orders of the world. Japan only takes in 23% or so. The european union has it in the tens.

The how about steel? The biggest steel production company in the world is in korea and is caLLED posco(some mergers have taken place this year in europe and japan so posco may not be #1 but they are right up there) and posco supplies hyundai with steel. Also korea as a whole is #1 in the world in steel production. Again recent mergers could have changed this.

Then what about semiconductors? Samsung is the #1 maker of DRAM and memory chips in the world. They satisfy over 20% percent of the world demand.

Hyundai semiconductor was #2 in the world until the semiconductor slowdown and overexpansion too rapidly is hurting them. But they will be back.

Overall, korea is #5 in the world in foreign currency reserves after japan($3.7 tril), china($1.8 tril), hong kong($1.6 tril?), taiwan then Korea.

Korea is #5 in the world in automobile production after the U.S. japan, germany and I believe france. Not too shabby.

The koreans are a major force in many industries and they will continue to bring us solid quality and affordable products.

And that can only be good for us consumers.
    I wonder how many people have actually driven or owned the cars that they criticize. It seems very few posts are from people complaining about their cars. The exception being pre-2000 Kias. I actually test drove most every car that has been mentioned here before I chose the Sephia. After one year I am still completely satisfied. I guess I was better than the JD Power average. I only had one initial problem and a minor one at that (clock resets automatically. getting it replaced this week). Hope some other poor soul didn't get his 2.5 problems plus my other 1.5.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Korean cars (especially Hyundai) have come a long way, but I don't know that I'd buy one in order to save a grand or two (or even three), you generally save buying Japanese when you consider resale. The Hyundai Elantra is an especially tempting car in its range though, great size, kinda cool looking, powerful engine, loaded and cheap.
    As far as J.D. Power goes, notice there's a Chrysler and a Saab as number one in their categories, that doesn't mean I'd ever buy a new one. This rating is of almost no value to me. If I were buying a car merely as an appliance, I suppose I would want the 'best in initial quality' (which isn't really measurable, since people don't report problems equally). As a car enthusiast, I'm going to buy the car that I like best based on other criteria (driving dynamics, comfort, resale, styling, price).
    An aluminum two piece block is still weaker than a cast iron extra thick block. Go to the drags and see what dominates. Aluminum not! As far as cooling, the majority of head is in the head. The Leganza doesn't have overheating in it's vocabulary. Throw the 2.2L Leganza motor in the Protege and it would smoke the little quiet motor it has. How about that?
    Sales and quality do not necessarily go hand in hand. I believe the Yugo sold a lot too. And I believe the Excel sold a ton when Hyundai first came to our shores.

Also, the higher sales figures of the Accent might have to do with the difference of the numbers imported. Toyota only imports 50,000 Echoes a year. I am not sure how many Accents are imported. Would the 30% greater sales for the Accent look as impressive if the Accent were imported in numbers 50% greater than the Echo?
    Wow. A 2.2L engine will smoke a 1.8L engine. You know, I learn something new everyday. But, with the Protege's 600 pounds less weight and the 2.0L's one less horsepower and the Protege's superior suspension, it will run circles around the Leganza. You know what is pretty sad? The Leganza is Daewoo's flagship vehicle in the United States. It's power ratings are about on par with an economy car and gets worse mileage as well.

Daewoo's 2.2L does not have very impressive ouput figures:

Daewoo 2.2L I4
    131 hp
    148 lb-ft

Mazda 2.0L I4
    140 hp
    142 lb-ft

Mazda 2.3L V6
    210 hp
    210 lb-ft

Well, of course a two-piece aluminium block is weaker than a cast iron thick block. However, we don't drive dragsters around. For regular passenger vehicles, an aluminium block is certainly more than adequate, provides more efficient cooling, and is lighter. This improves fuel economy, handling, acceleration, and braking. Plus, the aluminium heats quicker, warming the emissions system faster, making for an overall cleaner burning engine.

When Daewoo introduces a street-legal dragster that actually makes enough power to warrant a cast iron thick block, then I will be impressed. For now, Daewoo's thick cast iron engine shows no advantages, except for maybe long term durability. But aluminium blocks are easily capable of 250,000+ miles and will probably last more than 500,000 miles. Most people get rid of their vehicles around the 150,000 mark, if not sooner. Well, at least Daewoo's new prospective owner GM is a fan of cast iron blocks, although that is rapidly changing. Perhaps GM will fit the Leganza with a V6 that will make a $19k loaded Leganza more attractive. Of course, GM might make it a V6-4-2...
    The Leganza, with a list of under $15k, is a low-end car. The Protege MP3, the only Protege with 140 hp, lists at $18.5k. This is an unfair comparison, since I thought we agreed a long time ago the threshhold for this board was $15k. Otherwise we can bring in the Sentra SE-R, 2.0L and 165 hp, et. al. So when talking about Mazda here we should be looking at the Protege DX and LX, with 103 hp. The Miller Cycle V6 doesn't qualify here either; it's only available in the Millenia S, list of $31.5k. Let's compare apples to apples. There's no way a low-end car should be expected to compete power-wise with a car costing thousands more. Although some, like the Elantra (140hp) and Neon (132-150 hp) come pretty close.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    or you can talk about the Protege LX 2.0L, or the Protege ES 2.0L. I bought my 2001 Protege ES 2.0L for $15,400 and others have bought them for even less money. Apples to Apples, or should I say, Apples to rotten Apples. Yeah, its $400 above the "threshhold", but then again, if you have to fret about $400, what the heck are you buying a new car for anyway? The LX 2.0L can easily be had for less than $15K. The Daewoo has 1 more horsepower than my Protege? Gee, I should have gotten the Daewoo. Stupid me. We got all these fools in here talking about smokin other cars, and drag racing and such....guess what? These are economy cars people and NONE of them are fast. Or how about this: Apples to Watermelons....I'll go buy a used Z28 for UNDER $15K and smoke ALL of you that seem to be overly worried about miniscule amounts of horsepower in pedestrian ECONOMY sedans. If you choose one car over another car strictly because of 10 horsepower or less, you are a sucker.
    My point was not that someone would buy a car because it has one more horsepower than another, but that if we're going to stick to the spirit of this board, we should talk about cars that fit the "low-end" label. IMO, cars like the MP3 and Millenia that list for way over $15k do not fit, and should not be compared with cars that do. We had a thread sometime back about the cost basis for the board--was it list price, purchase price, list price less rebates, etc. If we open it up to any new car that has ever sold for around $15k, now you're comparing cars listing for near $20k with cars costing less than half that. Of course the cheaper cars will not fare well in comparison. Try comparing an Accent to a MP3, or Sentra SE-R, or even an Altima or a Stratus (sale price $15k in today's paper). That's why I favor list price, or maybe list price less public rebates, as the bar.

I agree with you on the speed thing--no one buys a low-end car to smoke anyone. It's more about having fun driving a quick and nimble car vs. raw speed. So the horsepower comparison isn't about speed, but more about value--how much power can I get for my money?
    My post wasn't only in reply to your comments, I was commenting on what other people have said also. I was just trying to point out that "when talking about Mazda" we do not have to only look at the LX and DX 1.6L. The LX 2.0L easily falls within the "under $15K" criteria and the ES 2.0L is dang close.
    That was a rebuttal to the claim that Daewoo makes a superior engine because they use thick cast iron rather than aluminium and a single piece block rather than a two piece block (BTW, the two piece block design originated in racing, where they also use, GASP, aluminium blocks!). It was basically a Mazda engineering vs. Daewoo engineering spat. Even if we stuck to the low-end cars, the Protege LX and ES 2.0L is not much less powerful and a whole lot lighter.

However, I think the Protege MP3 can be compared to the Leganza. The MP3 stickers for $18,500 as the Protege's top model. The Leganza CDX stickers for $19,629 as the Leganza's top model. Add a few options and it's near $21k. And the Millenia's Miller Cycle engine was just thrown in for the final Mazda engineering is better than Daewoo engineering. You are probably all lucky I didn't get into the rotary engine or Mazda's direct injection 4-cylinder engines with sequential valve timing...
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    don't get into the rotary engine, its a great engine, no doubt about taht but if something gets busted in that, your done.
    Perhaps we should come up with a definition of a fast car.

The fact is that many people buy low end cars with the idea of making them faster. Has anyone heard of a car called the Honda Civic?
    How about this: A "quick" car is one that travels the 1/4 mile in less than 16 seconds and goes from 0-60 in around 7.5 seconds or less. I have just eliminated all new cars costing less than $15,000. I have heard of the Honda Civic, and unless you get the Si (again, more than $15K), it is almost pointless to try and make it faster because to get any real gains, you will have to spend some real cash, thus breaking the $15K threshhold.
  • supremesupreme Member Posts: 38
    09-01-2001
    As a buyer of a low end vehicle, I desired to purchase a (1)new car, (2)with basic creature comforts (as few options as possible), (3)that (imho) was not ugly, (4)at the lowest price on the market, (5)could give me reasonable gas mileage. I shopped the low end market and found a sedan advertised for $7976. It was tagged & the big town dealer probably only had one or two so they could run the come on ad. But I did my internet homework & I heard what people were saying about that car & others as well. Decision time. I bought it $8600 tax&title. Now at 32,000 miles I am averaging 37mpg on my 2000KiaSephia. It's stylish, looks like everyother import in its size bracket. It handles very well, hugs the road. Passes easily from 65mph to 85mph, although Im much more comfortable in the 55to65mph range. Its really not built to lead the pack, although it can. Lots of inside room for average sized people. I know the skin is thin, but I didnt pay $25000 for it either.
    The Kia Sephia (2000) IMHO is the best value on the market for its class--USA/[non-permissible content removed]/EURO/KOR/ETC-
    bar none. 32,000miles tells me so. I have to chuckle a little at detractors & supporters of various models & features. Let it be known IMHO
    Kia Sephia is Queen of the low end spectrum and if you load it up, it might even be King.
    Likewise, some of us have to chuckle at supporters of the Sephia... LOL

In terms of equipment for the dollar, the Sephia is hard to beat. There is no getting around that. However, its quality, refinement, and reliability history are not up to par with some of its more expensive low-end competitors. Good points of the Sephia are the Mazda designed engine (same series as the Miata's engine) and the interior room. It handles well, but not when compared to its ride. The Mazda chassis it rides on was considered very rigid in 1990 when it debuted on the 1st generation Protege, but hasn't kept up with times (Mazda stiffened the platform for 1995 and got rid of it for 1999). I'm surprised you are getting 37mpg when it is only rated for 29mpg by the EPA with the 5-spd on the highway. A quick perusal through the Sephia board reveals a raging war between the "I hate my Sephia" crowd and the "I love my Sephia" crowd. Then there are the two instigators (I think you know who I mean) who claim the Sephia is the best vehicle in the world no matter the price.

But, what do you expect for the Kia's low price? It does the job and it does it decently. It matches several low-end sedans that cost more money. But, IMO, the Mazda Protege (which is pushing and easily exceeds the $15k price cap for ES and MP3 models) offers a level of refinement and driving experience equal to cars costing much more, and that is value as well. But, drive what you like. That is what matters and no one else can tell you different.
    I will agree the Protege rode a little better than the Sephia, but not $1400 dollars better. That was the difference in price for comparable models. Plus I got 2 years and 10000 miles more of a warranty. Also the 10 year warranty on the drivetrain. I also agree with you on the Sephia mpg. I wish I could get 37 mpg on my Sephia. I get 25 around town and 30 on the highway. By the way, have you ever driven a Sephia or are you just going on what you've read?
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    better than me i get 22mpg with my elantra, but i didn't think it would drop 5 mpg just because of a couple of mods, does anybody else have this problem with the elantra(Bad MPG) or do i have a bad air sensor or something
    I have a question for you. You seem to keep up with automotive data. I was reading a older issue of Auto Week and it listed NHTSA recalls for the 2000-2001 Corolla and the 2001 Echo, yet I don't see them on the NHTSA database. It was a brake problem on the Echo and cruise control problem on both the Corolla and Echo. Just wondering why they weren't in the database because there might be some on other cars (my Sephia included) that I don't see. Thanks.
    Sorry, I have been having fun offline. Looks like I have a number of posts to respond to.

I agree that "fast" should be a measure of time versus distance i.e., quarter mile. I do not think that "fast" should necessarily be a measure of time to achieve a certain speed, i.e., 0 to 60.

The reason being that there are some cars equipped to get to 60 really fast, but then take some time to get any faster. I am speaking about cars with slush boxes. That is why quarter mile is a better judge of a car being "fast."

I definitely do not think that top speed is an indication of a car being fast. 100mph is a fast speed, but if the car takes five minutes to get there, it is not a fast car.

I do not agree with the threshold for 0 to 60 and quarter mile times in determining what a fast car is. I would consider my car fast since it does 0 to 60 in 8.4 seconds while the quarter mile takes about 16.5 seconds and all this in a car with a 108hp engine and 105 lb feet of torgue. I think hp and torque have to be considered.

Now, as to Frank's question about recalls. I think there was an error on the part of AutoWeek. The brake recall on the Echo was for the 2000 model and it is a cold weather recall. Also, cruise control is not even an option on the Echo. To get cruise control, you have to go third party after market. A dealer might install it for someone, but the parts are not coming from Toyota.