Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low End Sedans (under $16k)

Comments

• majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I find your latest post to be somewhat akin to a mugger coming up to a person saying, "Nice coat. Now hold still while I mug you." The person struggles and the mugger gets mad saying, "Didn't you hear me? Nice coat."

Carleton does not even own an Echo and I do. If anyone should respond to a post about the Echo, it should be me.

As far as Carleton's "offending" post goes, I found it to be very restrained compared to some of his. And I did not find it to be a slam against any particular car especially the Protege.

I found your comparison of the Echo to the Cavalier to be objectionable given the Cavalier's poor history of reliability, its inferior quality compared to the Echo, its poor crash test performance, and it being uncomfortable.

FWIW, I don't think the 150hp engine of the Cavalier makes it that much faster than the Echo. I don't know because the only figures I see are for the Cavalier with an automatic transmission which makes it slower than the manual transmission Echo.

Do Carleton and I share the opinion that the Echo is overall the best low end car? Well, I bought the Echo when I could have bought any of the low end cars on the market. And I am very happy with my choice.

If Carleton thinks the Echo is the best car in any category, do I share that opinion? No, I don't.

Again, this is a public forum and so you have to expect that anyone viewing your words is going to respond even if they are not the person those words were directly directed to.
  • bjfrank42bjfrank42 Member Posts: 51
    I never gave sales figures.
    I was just throwing out 5'8" as an average height.
    I disagree with Car and Drivers assessment of the Sephia's handling.
    If I have to choose between Car and Driver's review and my wife's review, my wife wins. She loves the car. And as they say, if momma's happy, I'm happy.
    I clicked on two of the links that Backy provided.

I could not make heads or tails of the Mazda figures. Don't blame Backy for getting it wrong.

The Honda figures were a little easier to figure out.

I did not click on the Toyota link since Backy said the information he relied on would not be there.

Unless and until someone can provide us some figures on used car sales, all our speculations as to why Hyundai and Kia are enjoying sales growth will remain just that, speculations.
    Frank, sorry for my speculation that you provided the sales figures. The post by Backy with the sales figures was not visible to me as I was typing the response and so I had to make a guess as to who posted the sales figures.

I guessed wrong and made a mistake.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    How about this little tidbit you left out from edmund's road test: "After driving all nine cars, each editor was asked to rank the vehicles in two categories. The first category was the order in which an editor would personally rank the vehicles in terms of "would I buy it." The second category was a ranking of "would I recommend it to an economy sedan shopper." THE EDITORS PICKS:

Personal Pick
    1. Nissan Sentra
    2. Mazda Protege
    3. Ford Focus
    4. Hyundai Elantra
    5. Honda Civic
    6. Dodge Neon
    7. Toyota Corolla
    8. Daewoo Nubira
    9. Chevrolet Cavalier

AND:
    Recommended Pick
    1. Mazda Protege
    2. Ford Focus
    3. Nissan Sentra
    4. Hyundai Elantra
    5. Honda Civic
    6. Dodge Neon
    7. Toyota Corolla
    8. Daewoo Nubira
    9. Chevrolet Cavalier

Here's what they said about the Protege: "So how do the least and most expensive cars in this comparison test land within one-tenth of a percentage point of each other? Easy - the Hyundai was cheap and good, the Mazda was expensive and excellent; effectively arriving at the same final score" Or "And at $18,300 we knew the Protege wasn't going to be the value leader. So where did this third place finish come from? Check the editors' personal and recommended picks and you'll see that the Mazda rated an 86.4% and 88.9%, respectively. That averages out to an 87.7% when it comes to whether our editors would either buy a Protege for themselves or recommend one to a friend. The car is just that good."

Do I detect a trend here?
    Backy does have a point. If the Protege ES with a higher MSRP is considered a low end car, then we have to consider the Neon ACR. I cannot find any performance figures for the ACR, but I would bet it has just become the fastest "low end" sedan.

But it does hold an unfair advantage given it was designed for the racing market in the first place.
    "There may have been qualities I liked better in other cars, but none of them pulled it all together like the Mazda did. Its combination of functionality, design, reliability and performance make it a winner in my book."

"Garnering first place, by a wide margin, for its exterior design, the Mazda received comments that ranged from "best looking car in the test" to "chiseled, upscale appearance with tasteful chrome accents." Interior design was also a Protege strong suit with quality materials throughout and logical gauge/control placement."

"Enhanced by a taut and well-damped suspension, Protege was the "driver's car" of the group, winning the hearts of our editorial team with its unmatched fun-to-drive factor."
    I went to the Sephia board and scrolled all the way back to June. Could not find a single complaint about a 2000-2001 Sephia. Can't say the same for the Protege board. Only had to go back as far as Aug 26 and I had already counted 5. Most were minor, but they were complaints. Obviously there are more Proteges on the road so there should be more complaints, but to say the Sephia board is a battle ground is incorrect. Almost all the posts were positive.
    No problem. Just wanted to clarify things. Just as you do, I will ensure any statistics I give can be backed up. As for why Kia sales are up....
    My town sold the most Kia's in the US during July. Most Kia's around here are being sold to young people and/or people with little or no credit. They don't have much money and when given a choice between a new Kia with a long term warranty or a 2 to 3 year old Toyota/Honda with little warranty left, and the cost is the same, they will choose new. Not everyone is worried about resale. We are now living in a society of instant gratification and new is better.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sure, they said lots of nice things about the Protege ES. It's a fine car, as it should be for $18,300 as-tested. I'd recommend the ES to friends who were looking for a sharp-handling small car in that price range too. I wouldn't buy one (although I considered it) because its harsh ride is not to my liking, and I don't think it's a very good value. But in any car comparo, there is a comparison scale that ranks the cars in order of finish. In this comparo, the Protege ES was one spot ahead of the Daewoo Nubria and was bested by the previous-generation Elantra GLS, both of which cost thousands less than the Protege. The Protege ES, redesigned for 1999, lost this comparo to a Korean car that was designed three years earlier. The Elantra has improved significantly in its 2001 redesign, while the Protege ES has received a few tweaks between the 2000 and 2001 model years. I can't wait to see if Edmunds.com runs another small-car comparo this year, maybe with the Elantra GT vs. all comers.
    I say we all meet back here in 5 years. That's the only true way we will find out WHO is the better car (lol)
    But the sticker price on a 2000 ES was below $16K. They tested the most expensive version of the Protege ES that you can buy. Is is fair to do that and then mark it down because its too expensive? I don't think so. I bought my 2001 ES for $15,300 at 0% financing for 48 months. Take the Hyundai for thousands less, then tack on the financing and woila', it costs as much as my car. Quite different from $18,300. Here's another quote that might interest you:
    "With a high fun-to-drive quotient, traditionally trusty reliability, a roomy and comfortable cabin, DEALERS WILLING TO SLASH STICKER PRICES (They did for me), and dashing good looks, it's hard to beat this Mazda. This is the one I'd buy for personal use."
    With good gear ratios in the manual transmission and engine torque slanted to excel at lower speeds, the Sephia more than holds its own in commuter traffic. Factor in the spark of Sephia's energetic powerplant and a price several thousand dollars below Japanese competitors like the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, and this Kia shines in a crowded field of compacts.
    Some small cars skimp on safety features, but Sephia matches the class leaders with air bags, adjustable three-point seatbelts, and an internal emergency trunk release. Its chassis structure features integrated front and rear crumple zones, steel bracing in each side door, a collapsible steering column, childproof rear door locks and rear infant seat restraint anchors.
    Take a Sephia out for a test drive and it sells itself with zippy acceleration and precise road manners. It particularly impresses with tight control for steering and the independent suspension.
    The Koreans have obviously figured out how to develop and build a nice Japanese-style compact sedan without the mark-up inherent with Japanese pricing. The fact that these models lock out vibrations and noise makes Sephia an even better selection.

www.newcartestdrive.com

Personally I don't care for reviews. Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one. The only one that counts is your own.
    C'mon, now! Do you know of anyone who tracks used car stats by make and model, for the entire U.S.? I've never seen such statistics and doubt they exist, since it would be near-impossible to collect all the info from the thousands of used car dealers. Then there's the individual sellers--how can their sales be tracked?

Why do you need to see used-car statistics, anyway? We are talking about the NEW car market here, correct? I think the picture that the sales figures paint is pretty clear (even if Toyota doesn't have a News Archive for their sales figures). Allow me to illustrate with an example. We are talking about the entry-level new car market in the U.S. A certain number of cars are sold within that market in a given year. Let's say for the sake of discussion that 1.1 million cars will be sold in that market this year (I know that's way off, but this is an example.) Let's say that in the previous year 1 million cars were sold in the same market, so the market overall increased 10 percent this year. Say you have two cars, A and B, that fall into this market. In 2000, A sold 100,000 units and B sold 100,000 units. So they each had 10% market share in 2000. In 2001, A's sales decline 15% to 85,000 units while B's sales increase by 20%, to 120,000 units. The respective market shares for 2001 are A, 7.7% and B, 10.9%. B has gained market share on A. If some buyers of B may have bought a used car instead of B, that is not relevant to the discussion of market share. The point is, they bought more B instead of A, for whatever reason, even though A is in the same market segment as B. For that matter, both A and B, being in the entry-level market, are competing with used cars for buyer dollars. It's just that B is competing more effectively than A. Even if B's sales were flat, it would still have gained market share on A because its growth rate would have exceeded A's. This is not a phenomenon unique to the car business, it's true for the sales world in general.

So when we see the sales of car companies like Hyundai increasing year-over-year, not just because of their new models but for existing models, while sales of competitors like Echo and Civic go down, or like Protege increase but at a much lower rate, the only conclusion to be drawn is that Hyundai is increasing its entry-level market share at the expense of the other makes, which are competing against Hyundai in the same market for the same buyers. If you would care to disagree with this assertion with some facts and analysis, please do.
    Major: if it is unfair to other cars that the Neon ACR was designed for racing, and therefore may have a performance advantage, then we must also discount the Echo and Civic, which were designed for high mpg, since they obviously have an unfair advantage in that area compared to cars like the Elantra for which engine power was a higher priority than mpg. While we're at it, we must discount the Protege for its handling prowess, since that was an obvious design goal of that car.

Newcar31: Yes, you bought your Protege ES at a big discount. And I bought my Elantra for a big discount, and in some areas you can get one for under $10k. So the ES is still thousands more than the Elantra. It's all relative. That's why the comparos deal with sticker price. Also, the Elantra GLS in the comparo was loaded too, even with the rear spoiler that added nothing to the car's performance or utility but wound up costing it one place in the standings. If you want to challenge the validity of the comparo, maybe you should take it up with the editors of Edmunds.com.
  • dhvyldhvyl Member Posts: 5
    If i had to pick any car with hp between 130 and 150 in the American Market It would be the Olds Alero, which honestly is more comfortable, has better handling and egine performance and is sized more like mid-sized sedan than the econbox you guys claim to love so much.
    I feel that your analysis glosses over the used car market. How many times have you seen it said (in one form or another) for the price of a used Toyota or Honda you can buy a new car with a long warranty?

I know there is no way to check the used car sales for each make, but isn't there data on the used car market in general?

Also, we are in an economic downturn right now. Perhaps some of the people who would have bought a Honda or a Toyota are waiting until things get better.

There could be a host of reasons why the various makes have the sales they do.
    Sloppy writing on my part. My last statement on the ACR being developed for racing should be more of a question and less of a statement.

I actually meant to throw that out as a possible topic of discussion and not as a statement of my feelings on the subject.
    Welcome new poster, but the fact remains that the title of this thread is low end cars which has been loosely defined as a car that has at least one trim level with an MSRP of $15,000 (give or take a few hundred dollars) or under. The fact also remains that the car you suggest in the cheapest trim level has an MSRP of around $17,000. Thus it is not a low end car and your post is off topic (IMHO).

Personally, it is not that I like the price as much as the size. I just like small cars.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    When I was out shopping for a new car in a leisurely manner, like before my Festiva went poof....I really wanted to wind up in a Civic, Corolla, Golf, or Echo. I am a strong believer in a manufacturer's historical reliability and resale, even if I keep a car a very long time.

Then I sat in and drove the Elantra GT and I personally felt it was no contest. Only the Golf had the seating comfort, content, and the ride to compare, but the Golf cost a lot more and VW had its share of reliability issues. I talked to some tow truck drivers and they gave me a unanimous thumbs down on VWs. Not sure what axe, if any, they have to grind, but their opinion was important to me. The Civics and Corollas were just too cramped for me in the front, the Corolla in the back, and neither had particularly good driver comfort in my opinion.

I suspect that many others like me are being won over by content for the price and are willing to gamble on reliability backed by the warranty as well as on historical resale, which has been non-existent. Then too, the lower end cars are more affordable, bad economy or not.

I chose the GT because I do a lot of long distance driving and wanted the extra weight. For car #2, I want top fuel economy and will most likely look to Echo or a TDI. As it is, the GT is delivering around 34 on the highway, which isn't too shabby for its power and weight.
    For those not in the know, it looks like Kia is doing away with the Sephia name and will be using the Spectra name for both a hatchback and a sedan as 2002 models. My source is the October issue of Motor Trend.
    Off topic or not, the recent posting by "D" does bring up what might be an interesting topic.

Did you buy your car because you like "econoboxes?"

Sorry if this is ground already covered, but there are over 550 posts and I don't feel like reading through all of them.

Especially since it feels like I wrote a lot of them. ; )
    I realize that the Hyundai is a cheaper car. Like Edmunds said: "The Hyundai is cheap and good, the Protege is expensive and excellent" But....The Protege doesn't have to be expensive. For example, they tested the Sentra which wasn't fully optioned out and proclaimed it a value; they tested the Protege fully optioned out and called it expensive. Is it just me, or is that ridiculous? With the 0% financing that Mazda is offering, the price difference gets even smaller. For some people, like me, cheaper does not always equal better. Both the Hyundai and the Protege are relatively cheap as far as cars are concerned. If you went to the supermarket to buy a steak and saw that you could get a filet mignon for a little more than a cube steak, which would you buy? Unless I was EXTREMELY strapped for cash, or I actually liked cube steaks better, I would get the filet mignon, and I did.
    Well...for the money, the Hyundai also gives you the rolls, soup, salad, potato, vegetable, desert and beverage.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Pass the cube steaks, please....I recently chose the Elantra GT over the Mazda Protege ES. And price had nothing to do with it; I could have afforded either car, I just liked the Elantra more.

I'd never owned either brand before and I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised by Hyundai. If brand image doesn't mean anything to you then Hyundai offers a very attractive package
    Well, I can't argue with that. If you liked the Elantra more, and you don't care about brand image, then by all means, you made the right choice. Isn't the Elantra GT a hatchback? What other cars did you consider when shopping? You know, Nissan makes a mighty fine New York strip.
    But I don't like soup (power windows). ; )
    If there is one thing I have learned about Edmunds, it is that the reviews are not very consistent.

As someone pointed out, they took one car with few options and called it reasonable and they took a loaded car and called it expensive.

This is like the safety claims they made against the Echo. They said you would end up looking like spam if you got hit by an SUV. They made a big deal in a later article about they were basically motivated by being concerned about people's safety.

If that is the case, they should warn people the dangers of being in a small car in every review they do of a small car. They don't.

In fact, if you click on the compare button when you are looking at the Echo, information on three other small cars appear.

I checked the current reviews for these other models and in only one of the three is a warning about the car's size and weight relative to SUVs present.

I like Edmunds, but just for the message boards.
    I like soup, I don't care for rolls (moonroof/sunroof) or salad (abs). Major, it seems that most low end cars now come with soup and if they don't, they also don't come with salad, rolls, beverage, potato, vegetable, or desert. Its too bad automakers don't have buffets. They seem to package everything together. In order to get a potato, you must buy soup and a salad too. You want dessert? Well, you need to buy the beverage and vegetable package. What if I don't like salad?
    Worse yet, they make you take their salad dressing.

In answer to the earlier post about the other cars that I looked at. I looked at the Pro-5, the Golf, the Focus with an eye toward the ZX5, and the Civic, Corolla, and Echo. My thoughts:

Pro-5: Great small package, but I felt that the mpgs were too low for all the driving I was doing. I followed the threads on the Pro board and was concerned that too many people were getting in the low to mid 20s. Also thought the low profile tires would wear faster and cost more to replace. I also couldn't get really comfortable in the driver's seat and disliked the low height and stubbiness of the center arm rest.

Golf---I looked at the TDI. I might have bought one, but if I was going to, I wanted all of the goodies and the ones I saw did not yet have the side curtain air bags. Also concerned about the reliability and cost of maintenance of the diesel. Otherwise, I thought that the Golf was the best small package out there. The seats are great and even the passenger side has full height adjustment and tilt.

Focus---A very functional design and lots of interior room. I disliked the dash layout, and found the seat to be too short. I also thought the telescoping wheel didn't have enough travel. My real negative was the engine and drive train. I just didn't like the power or the shift points with the 2.0 Zetec. Last, I don't like the rear deck light treatment and the squashed rear window. Ford also charges a fortune for traction control.

Civic---Loved the EPA ratings and the reputation and reliability. Did not like the driver's seat, the front leg room, and the adjustment knobs on the EX that would skin your knuckles with the door closed. Didn't appreciate the cheap and useless driver arm rest and ridiculously inadequate center console storage.

Corolla---Too cramped in the rear and not too comfortable for me in the driver's seat. Nice center console. Great mileage, great engine, timing chain. Wouldn't buy with the 03 redesign promising to be worth the wait.

Echo----Still a contender for my second car.
    Really wanted a center arm rest. Tilt wheel has little travel...low to lower. No tach and no temp gauge a real minus to me. No ABS and side air bag availability another minus. Terrific mpgs and great heritage for reliability. Interior quite spartan but very functional. This car should be a squared off hatchback. The trunk opening is way too shallow to put anything large inside. A hatch would really solve that.

Elantra GT---Loved all the content and the ability to get traction control, roof, and ABS for under $1200, let alone get traction control on a 4 cylinder. Cargo space a plus as is the extra legroom as the car is a few inches longer than its competitors. Like the bumper rub strips to protect against paint scuffs as well. All the amenities plus the warranty plus the price plus the decent mpgs for a large engine won me over. Engine and tranny not as refined as the Japanese cars. No regrets to date.

Hope this helps.
    Love the menu theme. If this is a low-end forum, I guess we're all eating at a Sizzler or someplace similar... :-)

As to what other cars we were considering when I bought the Elantra GT, the short list is below. We wanted four doors, auto tranny, A/C, and some power goodies.

Protege ES/Protege5 - Pro5 wasn't available yet at any local dealer and the ES just didn't have the same "feel" as the Elantra (and no hatchback). If we could have found a Pro5 for around $17K, we may have bought it. Best looking of the bunch. Protege LX 2.0 still high on my list as a second car. We were almost a Mazda Family.

Honda Civic LX - Capable car but dull. Slightly noiser than I remembered. Sedan is [non-permissible content removed]-ugly when viewed from the rear (Elantra GT ain't no prize in that view, either) and more than a little overpriced for the standard content (options were costly). Dealers were also kind of arrogant. We thought the interior was too plain. Liked the mileage.

Toyota Corolla - Overpriced, cramped and cheap-feeling, but had a smooth, quiet ride. Toyota should be ashamed of itself to charge nearly $18,000 for the LE (with desirable options). What gall! Almost caused me to boycott Toyota products. I'm 5'9" and I could not fit my size 10 feet behind the front seatbacks. For shame. Did I mention it was overpriced?

VW Beetle/Golf/Jetta - Beetle too small. All cars a little overpriced, but we could have dealt with that due to the standard feature content. If these cars had bigger rear seats and had better reliability reps we may have bought one. They are all classy cars with a premium feel.

Hyundai Sonata - (wife's first choice until she drove the GT) very roomy, decent features but a tad too wide for our 1926 carriage house garage.

Honorable mention: Ford Focus (ugly, recalls); Toyota Echo (too spartan but still under consideration for commuter car, marriage issues - wife hated it, I loved it); Mistubishi Lancer (not available in June).

After test driving and research, we felt the Elantra GT offered the most for the money. We also got one very early, before less reputable dealers started marking up the price. We have 5200 miles on the clock and zero troubles. So far, Hyundai has made us happy.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Lots of posts here for the Protege ES, which I tested the same day as the DX. Skip the baked potato and roll, go lean and try the DX, it's great for someone who doesn't want to spend even $14k, and I'm sure they're dealing on them. I think there are some people out there who don't want or need power windows or locks (though no tach and no height adjustment on the seat is a pain). This car was still fun to drive (get the 5 speed), solid, roomy, good looking and quiet.
    Which small cars did I consider before purchasing my Echo? Might be a shorter list if I were to tell you which cars I didn't consider. : )

I considered, read about, looked at, and/or test drove a number of small cars. I also looked at a few other cars outside this category.

Here is the list.

Chevrolet Cavalier, Chevrolet Prizm, Daewoo Lanos, Daewoo Nubira, Dodge Neon, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Sephia, Mazda Protege, Mitsubishi Mirage, Nissan Sentra, Pontiac Sunfire, Saturn SC, Suzuki Esteem, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Echo, and Volkswagen New Beetle.

Outside the category, I looked at the Suzuki Sidekick, Honda CR-V, and the Toyota RAV-4. The most disparate vehicle I looked at was the BMW 3-Series. I could have done a lease, but my frugal nature made it clear I would not be happy.

The Echo on the other hand has left me very happy.
    Given you are married, it is important that you keep the wife happy, but perhaps she will have the same reaction as my roommate. When I first went to take a test drive of the Echo, I took my roommate along. Her reaction at the time was that it was a fine car for me, but she did not like the looks of it.

I have owned the Echo for almost nine months and my roommate likes the Echo so much now that she is thinking about getting one for herself. She presently owns a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant.

We are presently trying to locate a Rent-A-Toyota dealer where we can rent an automatic. My Echo is a stick so driving it would not give her a true feel of what "her" car would be like.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    my friends dad recently got a neon acr, Looks real cool but he said thats its not fast at all, he said his protege spanked it, but i still haven't raced or driven one so neon acr is like an echo for me, its the untouched area so far.
    My criteria for a car is quality, reliability, fuel economy, and safety. These are not in order of importance and actually all are pretty much equally important to me.

I wanted a small car that could carry four adults in comfort and five adults if I needed to.

And actually I had been in the market for a new car for a number of years, but something held me back.

Glad that something did hold me back or else I might not be driving an Echo today.
    Out of respect for the dearly departed.

<moment>

</moment>

Sephia, we hardly knew ye! We sure couldn't pronounce ye correctly, which is one of the reasons you have left this world for the Great Commute in the Sky. According to Mr. B. M. Ahn, President and CEO of Kia Motors America:

"We weren't able to do any substantial market research concerning the vehicle name when we launched," said Ahn. "So we went with Sephia but always knew that at some point it would change, especially because it was so often mispronounced."

So for those of you who never learned to pronounce "Sephia" correctly and therefore contributed to the demise of this fine example of automotive engineering, here it is, one last time:

SEE-PEE-HIGH'-AH

Or is it

SEP-HEE'-AY

or maybe it's... oh, never mind.

For full press release on the 2002 Spectra sedan:

http://www.kia.com/090501.shtml

Note that the '02 Spectra sedan will not be based on the Elantra chassis and engine as had been rumored, but instead on the Spectra hatchback platform.

I'm going to eat my Burger King hamburger now.

Yes, the wife does not like the Echo's looks. However, I think she may consent to one as long as it was used as a second car for *my* commuting purposes. She's smart enough to see what a frugal and efficient vehicle the Echo is and I think the odd appearance of the Echo would probably grow on her. We would have to buy an auto tranny, though.

When our 1987 Mustang retires to the great Ford graveyard in the sky I will seriously consider the Echo as a second commuter car. My previous car was a Geo Metro (best damn car I ever owned)and I think a modestly equipped Echo would serve the same purposes very well.
    I always pronounced Sephia as Suh-Fee-Uh. I actually saw the name in print before I saw my first commercial and found out I had been pronouncing it right.

BTW, Burger King fries are NOT better than McDonald's fries.
    Personally, I did not look at the "value" equation that hard. To me there is more to "value" than content versus price. I think the Echo is still a good value even if you load it up with a lot of bells and whistles.

Perhaps now is the time to get the second car BEFORE the Mustang goes. That way you are not forced to make a decision.

FYI, if you want an Echo with ABS and side airbags, you can get it, but you will have to order it. That may take anywhere from two to four months.
    That was a joke, son, I say, a joke.

And it's Suh-Fee'-Uh (accent on the Fee). Kind of rolls off the tounge, doesn't it:

Kee'-Uh Suh-Fee'-Uh

BTW, I didn't get the numbers for Mazda "wrong", as you stated earlier. I accurately reported the figures I found on mazda.com. They just happened to be broken down differently than numbers for, say, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda, which report sales for the U.S., by vehicle groupings (e.g. car division), and/or by model. I haven't found the Mazda numbers yet for the U.S., by model. Perhaps the poster who reported them earlier can give us the link.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I mean Spectra sedan. Go to http://203.248.232.51/ and

look at Shuma II. This will no doubt by my next car. Note that the Spectra hatchback will remain and the Spectra sedan will be based on the Spectra hatchback frame. 2.0L motor? Probably so! Coolio! I dig the separate door tweeters. White, Red or Ebony Black are my early color favorites. Check it out!!!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Thanks for the tip about the ABS/side airbags. I doubt I would order either option but it's good to know they are available (even if one has to wait for them). High mpg and durability would be my chief concerns. If we purchased an Echo I'd prefer to keep the car simple; automatic tranny, A/C and possibly a CD player being the only options I'd desire. Can the car be purchased with ala carte options? Since I'd be the primary driver I'd prefer not to have power windows, mirrors, locks, etc. I like machines that are simple and efficient.

I'd love to replace our Mustang now, but in truth, we don't really need to. My wife works mostly from home and when she does have to drive it's only a 10-mile trip to the office. We only put about 35 miles a week on the 'Stang. Plus, the 'Stang is a convertible and will be tougher to sell with autumn approaching. I'm content to wait at least a year and see what our needs are next summer.

Major, thanks for all the info on the Echo. Keep the informative posts coming.

Happy Motoring!!
    Backy, I know it was a joke. Ever think my comment on your post was a joke too? ; )

And you are right, technically you did not get Mazda's sales figures incorrect. You just did not give them. As for most (all) of the others, you got them wrong. ; )

As to where I got my figures, check out http://www.autonews.com. They still have the figures up.

CJ, yes you can order options ala carte. I suggest using Carsdirect.com to figure out the MSRP. I like it better than Toyota's website because it seems faster. I like it better than Edmunds because if you try to duplicate an option or need to have one option (or package) to get another, Carsdirect.com gives you a heads up. Edmunds does not.

Speaking of Edmunds MSRP figures, I got into a discussion about the Echo over on AOL's auto boards and the other guy tried telling everyone that the MSRP of a fully loaded Echo was over $19,000 which it is not. He had used Edmunds and it "allowed" him to select a radio four times among other things.

If Edmunds really wants to be the number one resource for help in car buying, they really need to work on that.

It is a good thing that you are interested in trading one Kia in for another. You will probably get the most for your trade there as opposed to trying to trade it in on a non-Kia vehicle.

Be prepared that you might only get 22% of the MSRP when you trade it in in 2004.
    iluv, are you sure the Shuma II is the Sephia replacement? I saw a Kia 4-door sedan on the road in Minneapolis the other day, it had "Spectra" on the trunk lid, and it looked like the car that the Web site you pointed to calls "Sephia II". The only difference was the car I saw had a different grill.
    >> I always pronounced Sephia as Suh-Fee-Uh. I actually saw the name in print before I saw my first commercial and found out I had been pronouncing it right. <<

>> Backy, I know it was a joke. Ever think my comment on your post was a joke too? ; ) <<

No, I really didn't see any humor there. I'm just slow, I guess.

>> And you are right, technically you did not get Mazda's sales figures incorrect. You just did not give them. As for most (all) of the others, you got them wrong. ; ) <<

I'll bet the numbers that are the "wrongest" are those showing Echo sales in the U.S. plummeting 14.5% for the first half of 2001, compared to last year. If you don't like my "wrong" numbers, straight off the manufacturers' Web sites, maybe you should write a letter to Toyota, Honda, and Mazda complaining about all the "wrong" numbers they post on their Web sites. Maybe you could even give them the numbers they should post. How about, "Echo sales up 145% for 2001"? Does that sound like the right number to you?

I do appreciate your posting the link to autonews.com. Their figures jive with what I found, except now a few days later they include August data and they don't break them down by vehicle. But they do show:

Hyundai - up 35% year-to-date (up 46.2% for Aug)

Kia - up 39.7% (up 41.5% for Aug)

American Honda - up 2.6% (down 0.4% for Aug)

Mazda - up 9.3% (down 1.3% for Aug)

Toyota - up 6.4% (up 7.9% for Aug)

What I don't like about these "correct" numbers (I assume they are correct because you provided the link to them) is that they include all the cars sold in the U.S., not just the entry-level models. So they include Civics but also Acuras, and Echos and Corollas but also Lexii. Hard to tell how the entry-level models are doing head-to-head. The automakers' sites provide these details--usually.

One thing that does come clear from these correct numbers is that Hyundai and Kia are grabbing tons of market share from everyone else. The only other automaker doing anywhere near as well as Hyundai and Kia is BMW, and of course it does not compete in the entry-level segment. There's an interesting article on autonews.com talking about why Hyundai and Kia are doing so well. The direct link is:

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories0903/koreans903.htm

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    regarding Sephia becoming Spectra sedan and what netranger4 said on the Edmunds Sephia site. Go to Sephia and read back a few posts. Evidently netranger4 knows a dealer who told him that Spectra sedan would look like Shuma II on the Kia Global site. I guess I need to see the Spectra sedan with my own eyes to REALLY know for sure. I just visited T-H-C website and someone there responded to my Sephia II question by telling me that the Spectra sedan will look like Sephia II on the Korean Global site. Confusing? Kia should post a picture on their American website! Duh!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

No, the numbers for the Echo don't really bother me. I don't equate sales figures with quality. And I don't equate sales figures with the idea that one car is better than another.

I find your complaint about the numbers bizarre. The numbers you are quoting for Kia and Hyundai contain figures for vehicles besides entry level, low end cars, don't they? Why should the figures I am pointing out be any different?

Also, I did point out in a previous post that my figures came from Autonews. Dumb me. I guess I thought people might take the initiative and type the url in themselves.
    >>I just visited T-H-C website and someone there responded to my Sephia II question by telling me that the Spectra sedan will look like Sephia II on the Korean Global site.<<

I think that explains what I saw, on the road and on the Korean Global site--that's the link you provided, right? The Sephia II picture matches the car I saw on the road, except the grill (minor detail, could be changed for the U.S. like Hyundai did with the Elantra GLS). If I were you, I'd take what a single dealer says about a new car with a grain of salt. For instance, there was mass confusion amongst Hyundai dealers before the debut of the Elantra GT. Many didn't know anything about it, right up to the time it was sitting at the docks in San Diego. But I know what I saw on the road the other day, and it looked like a Sephia II, not the Shuma II. Also, check out the press release on www.kia.com re the 2002 Spectra sedan--they note it will have the same engine and chassis as the Spectra hatchback--that's a 1.8L, not 2.0, right?