Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wish list for Next Gen Tacoma - what would you improve

rodfainrodfain Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I have been thinking about ways to improve the Tacoma. And I thought to get other opinions.

So what ideas would fellow Tacoma owners suggest?

I want to see more storage space, either in the sides of the bed or inside the cab. But hey, that's me. What would you want?

Comments

• tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    How about the V6 in the standard cab? It would be a big improvement and then positioned better to compete with other trucks that do offer their bigger engines in their standard cab models.
  • bmaccionbmaccion Member Posts: 1
    1: move the clock and put in a LCD version that is always on. Add a button for a backlight so I can tell the time while doing paperwork with the engine off.

2: move the shifter to the stalk. It's a truck, not a sports car. Put an electric 4x4 switch and get that on the dash somewhere and then give us more storage holes where the shifters were. Sit in a s10 or other truck to see how they do it.

3: take a clue from the S10 and make the door storage big enough to stash a water bottle in it. Very handy

4: Make the CD/radio show the time, why are we moving away from that anyway?

5: I have a doublecab so I don't know if this applies to the other versions but you need to add hooks in the middle of the bed (on the sides), not just at the ends.

6: put the emergency flashers in the same place as the turn signals and put fog lights where the emergency flashers are. I can't believe that this is still this way, it hasn't changed since the 80's.

7: This is probably a law but when I lock out the passenger power windows, I would still like to control them myself. (as the driver).

8: more places to stash stuff. There's always stuff to stash and the toy (and most other compacts) don't add the max amount of space for it.

9: in the double cab you need to rethink the folding seats. It would be nice to perhaps suppor folding up the seat bottom to gain more floor space.

These are just little nits, I really do like my truck, but I would really like for someone to someday follow around the engineers who design these things since a lot of this stuff is strange.

For example I rented a ford focus recently and was very saddened to see that the interior sucked, big time. This is a car for the younger set and it just didn't work. I remember when ford used to run commericals about how they involve average people in the design and that might be the problem...
  • ebbgreatdaneebbgreatdane Member Posts: 278
    Just some feed back on your point #2:

2: move the shifter to the stalk. It's a truck, not a sports car. Put an electric 4x4 switch and get that on the dash somewhere and then give us more storage holes where the shifters were. Sit in a s10 or other truck to see how they do it.

<<<The 2001 includes an optional 4Hi button for 4Wheel-On-Demand. Pretty Cool. It's a truck and not a sports car? I also drive our Acura Integra GS-R (which moves by the way) and compared to it's sport clutch and short throws, I can't begin to tell you wha't wrong with this statement>>>

OK...MY POINTS:

1. I enjoy the V6. Good power and Torque. But considering my 1.8 VTEC kicks out 170 horses, and some of the VTEC's Honda is putting out there in the form of 2.2L engines are cranking out 200 or more horsepower...Isn't Toyota missing something? I think I should see a few more ponies under the hood (I think this could be done with a better intake design) without having to buy a $3000 super charger.

2. Definately more storage. Just got the truck last Wednesday...still looking for a spot for the garage door opener. Seems like there is plenty of room for an overhead console in the bucket seat configuration (no drivers will be sitting in the middle anyway). I like the map pockets in the doors but that's about all they are good for...paper products and trash.

3. Adjustable Bucket Seats. In addition the bucket seats could use a longer seat base. Even just a couple more inches would help.

4. Twin front tow/recovery hooks. Why not have two instead of just one? It sure would look cleaner. It reminds me of when Toyota Pickups (pre-taco) only came standard with one exterior rear view mirror. LOL

5. A deeper bed. I know I get better ground clearance but man those Nissans have deep beds.

I should also point out these are my 5 gripes. We don't have enough threads on Edmunds to cover what I like about the truck. Top of the list is my 4Hi on Demand button!

John
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    They should make 4 doors on the extra cab models to where it is much easier to access the cab, This option on the ranger is the reason I almost bought one over my Tacoma.

They also could have some type of engine upgrade besides the supercharger which will cost and extra $3000, just something to give you about 210hp stock
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    also why not offer a 5 spd automatic transmission, that is the other thing I really liked about the ranger
  • woogetwooget Member Posts: 1
    -I'm completely going to have to agree on the horse power. 190hp isn't bad or anything, but what's stopping them from pushing the bar a little higher and giving the competition a little more run for its money?

-The space is the back is a joke too. I know that they make the double cab for those of us that want to bring some friends along for the ride, but then you're completely losing the bed on that thing. I mean try and put a quad in there.

-The bed is lacking when it comes to the depth.

But then again, I have no room to talk, I've been waiting to buy a tacoma for the last 2 years and just never got around to doing it.
  • cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    Ugghhh.
  • joseph35joseph35 Member Posts: 6
    How about independent rear suspensions such as those in the Chevy Avalanche?
    The only problem with an independent rear, you greatly decrease the towing capacity of the vehicle.

I doubt you would have the 5000 capacity you have when you get the TRD package. As well, payload would probably be reduced from 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton or below.

John
  • countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    I'd make ABS standard, offer a five-speed on the double-cab, PACKAGE THE OPTIONS IN A SANE AND AFFORDABLE MANNER (are you listening , Toyota???), offer a five-speed auto, offer a long bed once again, offer a diesel six-cylinder, and update the bodystyle a bit. Then you'd have the butt-kicker of all compact pickups, for sure!!!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You really can't compare a truck motor to a car. In a truck, you want the power to be available at a lower RPM. In order to have high torque at low RPM you need displacement (or huge cylinders in the case of diesels). So a 3.4L might have the same HP as a 1.9L, but the torque numbers at low RPM will be very different. The Supercharger flatlines the torque, which is very efficient for those that need more power. I think Toyota should just offer a bit larger V6 for the torque crowd. The 3.4 is a pretty tough motor, but still kinda revvy for my taste/uses. Good for most people that don't tow/work the truck all the time. Nothing wrong with three engine choices. 2.5 for the economy folks, 3.4 for the normal drivers, and a 4.0? for those that need more. I'm not saying I wouldn't take some more HP/Torque from either engine. The SC could still be offered because it adds a good bit of speed/torque to the 3.4, but larger displacement would be better still for the towing/work crowd.

I'd also like to see a 4-door extended cab, longer bed, and bigger gas tank. And as stated above, add a diesel engine. If they offered a decent diesel in a small pickup, they would clean-up. A 4cyl diesel would be plenty. You don't need a 6cyl diesel IMHO (you realize the cummins is a cyl?) and it wouldn't fit anyway.
    I'm going to go way out on a limb here and rebut your statement with a couple of other engines.

If BMW can crank 330HP @ 7900 RPM, and 263ft-lbs @ 4900 RPM in a 3.2L engine, I can't believe Toyota can't develop more HP and Torque from the same engine with better aspiration and exhaust while getting better gas mileage.

Acura can crank 240HP @ 5300 RPM, and 245ft-lbs @ 3000 RPM in a 3.5L engine in their MDX sport ute.

Lastly, Nissan's Pathfinder ouputs 250HP (Manual Transmission) @ 6000 RPM and 240ft-lbs @ 3200 RPM in their 3.5L engine.

Look for Toyota to use the same engine in 2002 with an increase HP and/Torque. The writing is on the wall.

John
    I'm not arguing against bringin on more power for the 3.4L, I'm just saying you can't compare HP of a car engine to a truck. Your Integra has very little torque even at peak, let alone in the usable range (2500-3500rpm). The Tacoma has 20hp over your 1.8L, but has 100ft/lb extra torque at 1/2 the rpms. That's 220ft/lb at 3600rpm (a bit revvy) but not that far off from the torque numbers you listed above. The Tacomas 190hp peaks at 4800rpm (which is closer to it's torque peak than the others you listed). You want lower RPM horsepower/torque peaks for towing/hauling. I'm not so sure those engines above will do much better towing because the HP peaks are at much higher RPMs. It's one thing to accelerate and run into the high RPM's but it's another to tow something and have the vehicle spinning 5000rpms to maintain a speed. That's why I think they should offer a better variety of engines. Beef the 3.4L up like the Acura/Nissan engines for the street crowd, and have a diesel or high-torque engine for the work crowd.

I noticed the MDX is only rated to tow 3500# so it's obviously not built for towing anyway. Considering the Tacoma engine is over 6 years old, it was well built from the beginning IMHO. The old Pathfinder engine was much weaker than the current Tacoma 3.4L.
  • 123321123321 Member Posts: 2
    I was praying for my next truck to be the color I wanted. Had red and black but I wanted my midlife truck to be metalic blue and wouldn't you know it, taco ma is the ONLY one with no blue. What a shame. I would also like to see the access cab to have a longer bed.
    In an earlier post I mentioned my Integra but you may care to re-read my last post on the 3.5L and re-compare those to the Tacoma specs. Also the MDX's tow rating has more to do with the suspension and less to do with it's engine. ;-)

Tacoma 190Hp @ 4800 200ft-lbs. @ 3600
    MDX 240Hp @ 5300 245ft-lbs. @ 3000

The Nissan develops peak torque at 240ft-lbs. @ 3200 RPM. Compared to the Tacoma's 220ft-lbs. @ 3600. I guess I don't understand how that makes the Nissan engine for the "Street Crowd".

John
  • jackkajackka Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the good ideas from everybody.

My favorites are:
    Make the V-6 available for those of us who need it without the TRD pkg or the frills on the S-Runner.

Eliminate the useless back seats on the extended cab and let us have the added space.

Rear doors on the extended cab ( as Ford does, or as Toyota does on the Tundra ) would be great.

ABS should be standard.

Don't expect Toyota to take our ideas seriously. The "Not Invented Here" factor will prevent a good idea from being implemented almost every time.
    Mainly because the HP peak is into the 6K range which makes it more useful for speed, to me a street crowd engine. The extra torque at lower RPM's is very much related to the extra cubes the Nissan has. HP is pretty easy to beef, it's the torque that causes problems.

I'm in the process of turning up my 01 Cummins Ram, and the thing I've found is I can easily double my HP number, however it doesn't help towing because at such high rpm you start frying things because of the heat when under load. I'm actually going with a lower HP chip (about 80hp), but I gain 160ft-lb of torque. Plus I should gain about 3-4mpg pulling 10,000# (pulling in a higher gear). For another $600 I can add an adjustable system that will take me in stages (50hp, 80hp, 120hp) with the push of a button. The 120hp would be great for drag racing punks in sports cars, but I'm not spending the cash on a toy.
    Ok. I'll go with that.

Know of any chips for the Toyota Tacoma?

Heh heh,

John
    I don't know of any chips that actually do much:) Certainly nothing like you can do by replacing the controller on a Cummins. Realize stock the truck (only) puts out 235hp, and a whopping 460ft-lb of torque.

The SC option on the 3.4 is pretty nice, but costly. The torque is very useful, and nearly flat across the rpm band. I also ran into some guys awhile back that were importing a SC for the 2.7L 4-banger tacoma. It was supposed to take the hp up around the 200 mark, and still get the same mpg. I had the 2.7L in my Taco and would have looked closely at getting that SC. 200hp and 22-24mpg would be sweet.

Later, Al
  • smc13smc13 Member Posts: 52
    Besides the improvements already mentioned, how about:

1) a powered rear sliding windows - I have powered doors, windows, and mirrors. why not the rear window?

2) Get rid of the large reserve fuel tank - i think that when I am close to "E" on the fuel gauge I should really be almost out of gas.

3) a fuel gauge that actually tells you how many gallons you have left and what mpg you are getting.
  • beantacobeantaco Member Posts: 12
    My local toyota dealer says there is nothing new for the 2002 tacoma, has anyone heard otherwise?
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    I'm not technically smart, but I've test driven a lot of four doors, and probably have seen them earlier then most (Haiti, 93). Here is my dream:

1. I like the Dakota's size and power ( to bad that won't make them well). Not to small, nor do I feel like I'm driving a tank down the road, especially in the city. So, I'd say increase the size a little and add an 8 cylinder option with the towing ability to go with it.

2. Mid-gate's are the future. Chevy has it, Subaru will have it in a year or two and I believe VW has something in the works. I'd also make it with an electric slider.

3. A built in cargo bed liner and hard taneau cover are good. I especially like Sport-Tracks with the tie down points. Practical if carrying a lot of gear for the outdoors.

4. If the 8 cylinder does not happen, I'd go with a Supercharger package. Nissan has it, and from what I can see, Toyota's is much better.

All with Toyota's quality and ruggedness.

That's my two cents worth.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    1. Offer IRS. If anybody can make a truck with IRS, Toyota can&#151;and I'm sure it can be made to tow. The IRS-equipped Mercedes ML and BMW X5 currently match or exceed the current live-axle Tacoma as far as towing is concerned.

2. Offer a 5-speed automatic.

3. Offer a triple-range full-time 4WD transfer case, with shift-on-the-fly capability between High, Medium and Low ranges. High range would be for normal driving. Middle range would be for towing or heavy loads, and moderate off-road use. Low range would be for the most difficult situations.

4. Offer a fold-out and drop-down tailgate that could be used as a loading ramp for motorcycles, etc.

5. The crew cab needs larger rear doors.

Bob
  • amoralesamorales Member Posts: 196
    greater towing capacity for your Drag boats, Jayco camping trailers, stalled domestic full size trucks that run out of gas
  • reynolds6reynolds6 Member Posts: 31
    but adding the V8 as an option and the possibility of getting the extra foot back for my DC bed would make me think long and hard about trading up. I would have to clean out my garage to get the thing in there, but it sure would be nice.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    for a limited slip diff in the future.The 02 tundra will be offering it as an option so hopefully they will also for the tacoma!
    Isn't the limited slip available through TRD as a replacement part? I originally thought that limited slip would be better for my rare use because it automatically sends at least a portion of the torque to the wheel that needs it. However, I understand that the clutches will wear over time and it isn't apparent until you need it and it isn't there. Maybe the locker is better in that respect for my expected usage.
    Yeah ive seen that listed but it's not for me since i lease the truck.
    To LSD or TRD.... that is the question.

Ya know, if you have a selectable option, and you need traction, locker is better.

If you were looking for traction in the snow, get the 4X4 with the 4wheel on demand button. It will do the job and you'll avoid the headache of an LSD.

John
  • chiweihochiweiho Member Posts: 51
    To have a bare bones 4x4 DoubleCab, it would have saved me $4000 in SR5 packages, with all this extra TRD sticker, white speedo, CD, electric this and that, bla bla bla... they forgot to put a electric sunroof, and a locking fuel door.

I would have purchase the Nissan SC CrewCab for the same price. If I know the Toyota transmission was crappy.

Don't get me started on the clock.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Well, I sure hope they improve the bushings in the clutch assembly. I'm tired of hearing my clutch's squeaking bouts, even though it works just fine.

Hmmm, what else? GET RID OF THAT HIDEOUS NEW GRILL DESIGN AND GO BACK TO THE 1998 STYLE!!!

The curved/sloping shape of the top of the doors and roof means that anytime the door or window is opened, a mini-avalance/downpour of snow/water (depending on where you live; I've seen both) falls directly into the truck's interior. It is substantially worse than other vehicles I've had.

I'm not fond at all of some of the pinstriping, graphics, door molding, etc. some of the new Tacomas are sporting. Keep it plain.

That's it. I'm thankful that my gripes are very minor annoyances, not major headaches. After over three years, I still love my truck and wouldn't trade it in for anything else.
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    Please explain. (Not the drug, the differential!)
  • toadmantoadman Member Posts: 39
    Like your comments sebring. I agree, Toyota should add at least one more engine option to the Tacoma 4x4. I'm not sure they need to go with a V8 but certainly a bigger V6 with a few more horses and torque. I've driven the 3.5L, 240 HP Nissan Pathfinder and man does that vehicle move!

I'd like to see an option for either a bigger interior or longer cargo bed. Of course having all these different options means more cost in the mfg. process. But it looks like Nissan is going that route. Something Toyota is not going to do. Toyota's motto, 'Keep it simple'. I'd also like to see Independent Rear Suspension for a softer ride. Lower the ground clearance and smaller tires for us folks who aren't going to be doing any serious off-roading. Wasn't that the idea behind the double cab? A more family oriented truck?

And maybe some day fix the location of the clock and add a locking gas cap.
    My 95 Tacoma had a locking gas cap, keyed the same as the ignition. Very nice. Seems like Toyota keeps getting rid of the simple stuff that is actually useful. I was bummed when my 97 Camry arrived with a cheap prop rod for the hood instead of the gas struts which previous models had. Nickel here, nickel there, before you know it they'll be down there with every other vehicle on the road.....
    Overseas calls the Tacoma Hilux, they have Turbo diesel version of the Hilux, it will not sell in US, but i would buy one. I really don't think anyone else in the world use the four door Tacoma for a "family oriented truck", except US. it's used for the dirty job site. There were Four Door trucks out there way before the term "CrewCab or DoubleCab", and family was not in mind.

The ladder chasse was the reason i purchased my truck, designed to go off road and less twist to the chasse, if i want a uni-body, i would have purchased a SUV (yuk). I Snow Ski in the winter and Jet Ski in the summer, the rear door was in ocean water last month while hauling a ski in the bed through a sand dune. I need the height. Please don't make this a puss mobile. It was already a puss when they made it 40 ft turning radius, factory changed it for people who does not know how to drive a high CG vehicle.

The Toyota keep it simple does not applied for some Tacomas, there are too many electronic sensors that will keep the truck not starting. When i brought my truck back to the dealer, the mechanic told me if the truck will not start within two seconds, wait a couple more, the computer needs to check all sensors before it will start. i feel like driving a microsoft os based truck sometimes. The difflock and 4WD-H is also electronic, i hope it will last longer than my 100k extended warenty.

I love my Taco TuRD 4WD DC, it will never replace my 88 Honda Civic with 264k miles it's been the same places my truck has, not as smooth but it has. But I hope Toyota will fix the bugs we all have listed. We can only sit back and see, will they listen?
    I agree with chiweiho on his ideas of what a truck should be. The first things I would change on mine (if I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of getting it by the marketing dept.) would be to go back to a vinyl floor liner and more durable cloth for the seat covering. If not for the husky liners that I had bought for my truck, I would have already ruined the carpeting with red Georgia clay. Electronic gadgets are nice and usually much more convenient but they always increase the possibility of something eventually going wrong. Ground clearance is another plus for me too. Everything my wife and I drive is 4WD ('01 D-cab, '92 Pathfinder, '85 Toy Pickup) but we rarely engage 4WD on any of them. The ground clearance is really missed when you don't have it though. My wife's previous car was a '96 Saturn SC1 and we had to be ever vigilant since we live out in the sticks. I know the IFS front end is here to stay and it does drive out much better than the live axle front end, but the performance of the live axle is the main reason I hate to get rid of my '85. As for the diesel, I would consider it but from what I have seen in the past, Toyota diesels run virtually forever but are a pain to have serviced because not even the dealer is familiar with them.
  • natureboy1natureboy1 Member Posts: 55
    The Tundra V8 engine...

So I could mop up Dakota V8s and the upcoming 1-6 4.2 S10/Colorado. With the 3.4 in my 99 Tacoma I already give the Dakota V8 a run for its money... But a 245 horsepower 315 ft/lbs of torque engine in the Tacoma would be just toooooooooooooo swwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeet....
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I could be wrong but I believe a new V6 will come out with the 2003 Tacoma. Would anyone have any info on this?
    Why would someone who design the TacomaDC cup holders with different diameters (size). Was ordering 2 Super Quencher drink from Jack in the Box, one fit in the back holder and the other did not fit in the front.

I am still looking for the ergo designer for the TacoDC. This person need to design function before form.
  • mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    Auto makers need to bring small displacement diesel engines to the US. Have a bigger gas engine available for the racers, but have a diesel available for the folks who use their vehicles for working. They are very dependable, last a long time, and are very economical on fuel. Diesels engines are not rocket science and the maintenance/repair can be learned by most. The main reason I drive a 3/4 ton heavy duty pickup truck is because of the diesel engine. Put a diesel in a smaller truck and I would probably downsize.
    No numbers were given, and I cannot remember where I saw it, but I did a search on 2003 Toyota Tacoma and an automotive site said the new Tacoma would have a 3.7 liter V6 engine...

It seems that Toyota is great at keeping secrets and out of all the car companies it reveals very little of upcoming projects until they are ready for launch..
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Toyota offers diesel engine in other markets so than is my number one desire. http://www.hilux.toyota.com.au/Hilux/InDetail/0,1565,8^19,00.html

Second on my list is to be able to order options separately. Right now everything is a package and the dealers say that it is too difficult to order trucks. Buy'em like they are on the lot or forget it.

The last is to add a third and or fourth door on the extended cabs and a long bed for the extended cab and double cab.

Oh, and I forgot I would like to see some REAL bumpers, not the wimpy ones we have now.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    http://www.lc78.toyota.com.au/LandCruiser78/Portal/0,1550,12-25,00.html

The Landcruiser 78 should be offered in the US along with the Tacoma and Tundra. The Tacoma is a tough truck but the Landcruiser 78 is tougher.

• countsmackula1countsmackula1 Member Posts: 61
    --you saw it on The Car Connection or Motor Trend's future car section, because I saw the same thing concerning the 3.7 liter engine. I wish Toyota would offer a diesel engine in the U.S. , but I know it wouldn't sell well.--the count
  • navcadnavcad Member Posts: 4
    It would be nice to see a rear window defogger.
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    this is a cool feature that once you have it, you can't live without. (at least for those of us that live in northern climes) I know you can get heated side mirrors on the S-10, and I'm not sure about the ranger. but I sure hope it's something that toyota adds in the future.
    Praying for a LSD (limited slip diff)on the future Tacoma's.The supercharger and the single track rearend just don't mix!...
    3RZ-FE
    The 3RZ-FE 2.7 litre EFI engine is a twin cam multi-valve 4 cylinder engine that develops exceptional power (108kW/4800rpm) and class leading torque (235Nm/4000rpm) for a 4 cylinder petrol engine. The 2.7 litre engine with twin balance shafts delivers 6 cylinder power and smoothness but with 4 cylinder fuel economy and running costs.

5L-E
    The 5L-E 3.0 litre EFI diesel engine offers impressive maximum power (71Kw/4000rpm) and maximum torque (200Nm/2600rpm), combining high performance with low fuel consumption.

1KZ-TE
    The 1KZ-TE 3.0 litre Turbo Diesel engine offers potent power (85kW/3600rpm) and torque (315Nm/2000rpm). It's the most powerful engine in the HiLux range, and the first electronically injected diesel engine in the one tonne 4x4 utility class.

The engine has a lightweight, compact, water-cooled turbocharger for a balance of performance, fuel economy and durability.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    3RZFE:
    Hp=145@4800
    Torque=173ft/lbs @ 4000

5L-E
    Hp=95@4000
    Torque=148ft/lbs @ 2600

1KZ-TE
    Hp=114@3600
    Torque=232ft/lbs @ 2000
    These diesel engines would definitely have to be beefed up to compete in the North American market. A 200 horse 280 ft/lbs V6 diesel would be a nice diesel engine for the Tacoma...
This discussion has been closed.